Half-Life PC

9.1

1. Oct 23, 2010
    This game is amazing still to this day on any platform you play it. I originally got it on the PS2 and I was blown away by it. It is even better on the PC! No other FPS game after Goldeneye had the same effect this game had on me. If you have never played this, you must give it a shot some time if you can. There are mods and tools to make the game look pretty again.
  2. Oct 30, 2014
    That's a good story for an FPS game. I did not expect a game from 99's, so catch me hard and keep me stuck to computer several hours. That's a good game. Good for Valve.
  3. Dec 17, 2012
    One of the best games ever made. There's not much I can say about this that hasn't been said already. If you haven't played it pick this and the sequel up; the expansions are optional but worth your time for the most part (Opposing Force and Episode 2 are fantastic).
  4. Nov 22, 2015
    So after Duke Nukem 3D and Quake, and parallel to Unreal this thing comes out. Wow! Were we ever prepared for the impact? NO! :D Half Life blew my mind. U can do THAT in games? No waaaay man! It was a revolutionary period for games in general, but Half Life is around the top of the pyramid in my book :) so much fun with this one!
  5. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    Great storyline and awesome gameplay: fifteen years later, Half Life is still the game many "modern" FPSs would like to be. Maybe not the best game ever. but damn it's among the first five for sure.
  6. Jan 1, 2014
    An old classic. A good storyline (but not a patch on its even better sequel) but it's a classic "for its time". Best game of 1998, sure. But unlike some games it's not survived the test of time as well.
  7. Dec 14, 2015
    At the time this game was released, it was revolutionary. Many scripted character which would talk to you, follow you, open doors and help fight enemies. That was unseen before. The levels themselves are well designed yet somewhat too linear, like in all shooter games. The graphics were excellent for the time. If you try playing it today, you may not really enjoy it, as the genre hasAt the time this game was released, it was revolutionary. Many scripted character which would talk to you, follow you, open doors and help fight enemies. That was unseen before. The levels themselves are well designed yet somewhat too linear, like in all shooter games. The graphics were excellent for the time. If you try playing it today, you may not really enjoy it, as the genre has advanced far ahead. Expand
  8. Apr 1, 2012
    Half Life is a game of epic proportions, Valve provided a knock-out game. Good shooting mechanics, great map design, deep and involving story and of course hitting alien zombies with crowbars. Gameplay gets slightly repetitive at times though.
  9. Mar 23, 2012
    I'm kinda mixed up on this game, but I can say one thing: it's a very cured and detailed game. I liked the story, the enemy AI is fantastic and very challenging, and the setting and places are extremely well done: you can see how much time they put into this game. But still...I hated few things. For example, the jumping parts: you can easily lose health by jumping 1 cm more higher thanI'm kinda mixed up on this game, but I can say one thing: it's a very cured and detailed game. I liked the story, the enemy AI is fantastic and very challenging, and the setting and places are extremely well done: you can see how much time they put into this game. But still...I hated few things. For example, the jumping parts: you can easily lose health by jumping 1 cm more higher than normal (and we talk about 10 hp or more), and so you'll sometimes HAVE TO use ladders or avoid crazy jumps which, in many games, won't harm you. Even if the AI is challenging, some enemies are just far too hard in my opinion and sometimes the game becomes very unbalanced (the soldiers were the hardest m------ers I've ever beaten, while all the other aliens were easier, even the biggest ones). Add also that the explosions are very big, meaning that you can still get hit even if you're far at times (I got hit also when I was hiding behind crates, not too far away, while I shot at some bombs attached to the wall...this still scarred me). And, if I have to be brutal, some parts looked unneccesary and to me they looked like "add ups" instead of real continuation. But still, it's a good game and actually very modern to this day: good puzzles, very detailed settings, interesting story and a well though gameplay: can't say it fails somewhere can I? Expand
  10. Nov 14, 2012
    One of the greatest games of all time, the amazing atmosphere still carries through to this day. Revolutionary game play at the time and still fun to this day.
  11. CRL
    Jul 24, 2011
    Even more than a decade after it's creation, Half-Life is still a great game. If you can get past the ancient graphics you will enjoy this game just as much (and probably more) than any other. The story is awesome. The enemies are great, (and at some parts downright creepy). The weapons are expansive for it's time, and And Gordon Freeman was voted the greatest video game hero of allEven more than a decade after it's creation, Half-Life is still a great game. If you can get past the ancient graphics you will enjoy this game just as much (and probably more) than any other. The story is awesome. The enemies are great, (and at some parts downright creepy). The weapons are expansive for it's time, and And Gordon Freeman was voted the greatest video game hero of all time. What more do you need? Expand
  12. Jan 17, 2012
    This game is KING . I spent a good chunk of time playing half life, but most of the time was spent playing all of its mods. CS, DOD, Ricochet,Brainbread, HOSTILE INTENT(favourite, wish it wasn't dead) , the trenches, the specialists, natural selection, action half-life, syndicate, afraid of monsters, the trap, sven co-op, and more. Played so many mods , and many of those mods are more funThis game is KING . I spent a good chunk of time playing half life, but most of the time was spent playing all of its mods. CS, DOD, Ricochet,Brainbread, HOSTILE INTENT(favourite, wish it wasn't dead) , the trenches, the specialists, natural selection, action half-life, syndicate, afraid of monsters, the trap, sven co-op, and more. Played so many mods , and many of those mods are more fun than games out today. Expand
  13. Jun 10, 2014
    Fue uno de los primeros videojuegos que en vez de bloquear las escenas para situar la historias las hacía parte del juego, además generó un standart dentro de los FPS que ha continuado hasta la fecha. No ha envejecido muy bien pero con Black Mesa ha mejorado.
  14. Dec 25, 2013
    It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire fps genre, but Half-Life has done just that. Immersive and engaging entertainment experience.
  15. Jun 18, 2016
    An absolute amazing, breath taking adventure game ever made. Half-Life has amazing environments, awesome weapons, crazy enemies, and incredibly smart A.I. Each sequel just continues to build onto the mysterious story Half-Life has to offer. A must own and must play for all those Valve fans and adventure seekers out there! Half-Life is like Citizen Kane of video games!
  16. Dec 23, 2015
    The most influential game of the FPS genre. And also the most overrated. Yeah this game is not as good as you may think. It's still pretty good but not worthy of a 10/10 score. So on with the review then.

Pros: - Something that you'll notice is that many of these old school games have tremendous atmosphere. And Half life is no exception. Everything from the laboratories, the outside

Pros:
    - Something that you'll notice is that many of these old school games have tremendous atmosphere. And Half life is no exception. Everything from the laboratories, the outside and the alien world all have amazing atmosphere to them.
    -The story. Everybody said how this game revolutionized storytelling in video games and they couldn't be more right. For once it wasn't about killing everybody in sight and finding a key to unlock a door. This time you had to do some puzzles in order to uncover the exit and not everything was that simple. But sadly for all the good things this game has, there are some little flaws that keep me from fully enjoying it.

Cons:
    - My biggest issue with Half life is that it just doesn't know what the **** it wants to be! For the first couple hours it plays a lot like a survival horror game with very little ammo being given to you and some very decent jumpscares. But in the second half the game takes a Quake road with soldiers, rocket launchers and gigantic helicopter battles. It's like we went from subtle horror to just balls out action in just a couple of hours. Now there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a little confusing
    - And finally my biggest issue is the flawed combat. Now don't get me wrong the game has decent combat, but it's not perfect. Being a game from the late 90's it suffers the same problem like games like SIn and Soldier of Fortune suffered in that the hit detection isn't good but it's tolerable. But tolerable isn't enough for a 10/10 score.

So there you go. This game in my opinion is very overrated but is it good.... yes. Does it deserve to be in the top 100 best games of all time.... yes just probably in the top 50 instead of the top 10 for me.
  17. Sep 4, 2013
    This is among the best games ever made the story is excellent so is the gameplay, level design everything is perfect except for a few things the dated graphics but back in 1998 is was amazing and the platforming is sometimes really fiddly and it is actually challenging even on Normal difficulty and for less experienced or casual players Easy presents a challenge (i think) but its neverThis is among the best games ever made the story is excellent so is the gameplay, level design everything is perfect except for a few things the dated graphics but back in 1998 is was amazing and the platforming is sometimes really fiddly and it is actually challenging even on Normal difficulty and for less experienced or casual players Easy presents a challenge (i think) but its never unfair it has some interesting setting and that feel of shooting in Half Life and then there is the multiplayer while this isn't the strong point of the game it's decent and paved the way for Counter-Strike and then theres the mods Counter Strike, Team Fortress started out as a Quake mod though), Day of Defeat and is better than Ocarina of Time Expand
  18. sft
    May 22, 2013
    Gordon is definitely not a moron

Gordon is definitely not a moron

The Half-Life games are the thinking-person’s FPSs and the series is this reviewer’s favourite game franchise. The original game does look a bit dated by the standards of 2011 but bearing in mind that it was first released in 1998 it still looks pretty good, and in it’s day it was truly ground-breaking. It also used a physics engine that was the best of its time and an AI that performed far better than any other. Almost everything you could want is here: a good variety of environments, some satisfying puzzles, and some challenging combat. It also has, within the obvious limits of a shooter, a solid and engaging story. All of this makes for a game that keeps you entertained from start to finish and never outstays its welcome. Great stuff and it gets much much better with Half-Life
  19. Apr 14, 2015
    best damn game valve gameplay good story fantastic characters charismatic your ass people who hate this fantastic game and some people do not know the afff franchise
  20. Jan 1, 2012
    The overall package with its brilliant singleplayer, multiplayer and modability were much more than any other game could deliver back in 98. Every aspect of this game was as good as it gets, only unreal managed to have slightly better graphics and music back then. While its basicly technically superior competitor unreal focussed more on mulitplayer games in future, half-life managed toThe overall package with its brilliant singleplayer, multiplayer and modability were much more than any other game could deliver back in 98. Every aspect of this game was as good as it gets, only unreal managed to have slightly better graphics and music back then. While its basicly technically superior competitor unreal focussed more on mulitplayer games in future, half-life managed to succesfully create a new singleplayer univere and keeps it alive till today. This was the start of a flawless series that still keeps million of people hooked. Expand
  21. Jul 15, 2015
    A game to remember. As you play this, you feel immersed in its gripping storyline. It blends the fast-paced action from DOOM with a chilling and monumental storyline, like from a Stephen King novel. Any and every gamer needs to own or at least play this masterpiece.
  22. May 19, 2012
    Results: The Best FPS of 1998, The Best Story in games of 1998. With It's outstanding story, great single player and the terrific multiplayer, still It's not perfect. Still, It is great, and It shows some fancy classic graphics. It is a great FPS. It is difficult, but great.
  23. Dec 21, 2011
    Played this game for the first time this year (2011), and I was positively surprised by it, altough I knew how much people like it. The graphics are dull today, but I imagine perhaps the best '98 had to offer. Despite that it is 13 years after release they still work fine, and gameplay is great aswell. The best thing about the game however is the way it tells the story, constantly throughPlayed this game for the first time this year (2011), and I was positively surprised by it, altough I knew how much people like it. The graphics are dull today, but I imagine perhaps the best '98 had to offer. Despite that it is 13 years after release they still work fine, and gameplay is great aswell. The best thing about the game however is the way it tells the story, constantly through the eyes of the players with no cut-scenes, and that said it is quite an interesting story aswell. Expand
  24. Apr 26, 2014
    this game revolutionized and shaped so much of modern gaming its hard to fathom it. it deserves nothing lower than a perfect score. its dated and a bit derpy now, of course (it came out in 98!) so if youre playing it for the first time now, take it in context of when it was released.
  25. Oct 12, 2012
    After many years its release, Half-Life is able to amuse gamers,only because is a product really well done;
    available on steam, it's crazy let it get away
  26. Dec 26, 2010
    This is so much more than a game, because you end up forgetting it's a game. It's old and it's the best.
  27. Mar 1, 2014
    One day I was bored and thought I should play this game. It was so phenomenal I'm a fan now!
    I think the best thing about it is the storytelling: You can experience the world of half-life without a cut scene and your character doesn't speak which means you can make your own thoughts. The atmosphere is also very well done and the multiplayer mode has a lot to offer.
    This game was also
    This game was also revolutionary for the FPS!
  28. Feb 5, 2016
    Valves Masterpiece. Instant classic.

And game that you can actually call an quality game. It offers long playtime. Developers who commit themselves making single player first person shooter experiences, then Half Life is an prime example how its done.
  29. Dec 9, 2014
    I wish I could give this game an 11. So, yeah, my favorite game of all time. This is gonna take a while... from where do I start? I guess I'll start from the bottom and work my way up to what I enjoy most in the game.

Graphics: They were pretty amazing at the time. Even the Source engine (the follow-up of the GoldSrc engine, a heavily modified Quake engine) is struggling to hold up

Graphics:
    They were pretty amazing at the time. Even the Source engine (the follow-up of the GoldSrc engine, a heavily modified Quake engine) is struggling to hold up today. But for 1998 standards... there weren't many truly 3D FPSs games. And Half Life had high quality textures, polygonal models... and the NPCs moved their mouths when they were talking. Even in Max Payne 2 (from 2003) some characters didn't move their mouths.

Of course, Half Life did not age well in the graphics department, but you gotta give it a break. If you compare it with other games at the time (Quake 2, for example), Half Life looks gorgeous.

Audio:
    The voice acting is nice for the time. It could have been better, though -there are only 3 voice actors in the game from what I recall, but the voices are memorable. The monsters, the guns and other sounds don't disappoint also.

The soundtrack has some memorable themes, but it is too scarce. There are some great action or exploration moments that could use some background track, but it will only play in a few (very few) moments.

Gameplay:
    The action was fast paced and easy for anyone to try it, but the game didn't babysit you. The AI of the enemies was really good, and, actually, I think it holds up even for today standards. The marines you fight aren't brain-dead like many of the enemies of modern shooters. They actually fall back and heal themselves. Sometimes they act really stupid, but most of the time they provide a challenge.

The game also had a great pacing, with fast gunplay moments, small fights and exploration parts. And they all feel connected so organically that it's something I still haven't seen in any other game.

But what really sets the game apart from me are two things: the storytelling and the level design.

Story:
    Actually, the story is pretty dumb. You're Gordon Freeman, a scientist that kicks alien ass. Hell yeah. But, seriously, there's nothing more to it. What is amazing is that the game doesn't take control of the camera at any time. Since you start up the campaign, you see everything by the protagonist's eye. And each room tells you a story. It's subtle, but every corner has something to add to the story if you look carefully and try to interpret what is being shown. It's nothing so much amazing, but it's awesome by the way that this is achieved.

Level design:
    I don't even know what to say. The level design contributes to the storytelling, bringing the universe of the Black Mesa Research Facility alive. But it doesn't sacrifice the gameplay. In fact, it makes the whole experience more enjoyable, because each level has its own motif going on, and each one is focused in one type of gameplay. Some levels are more action packed, others have more puzzles. But they don't feel disjointed at any time. Only the last levels are kind of a bore, but they're not necessarilly bad. They just don't hold up to the other levels.

So, yeah, I talked too much and I didn't even scrape the surface of what I wanted to talk. But you should at least take a look at the game. It deserves it, as the "uncle" of modern titles. And if you never played the original and think that it's too old, take a look at the free mod called Black Mesa, that is a remake of the original game. It's amazing too. So, yeah, Half Life... give it a try when you can, really.

1. It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire genre, but Half-Life has done just that.
  2. The storyline runs in perfect harmony with the action and acts as a conduit not a stopgap, or a padding device. Each gaming element compliments the next and the entire presentation is nothing short of, well…dare we say it…revolutionary.
  3. PC Gamer
    This is The Big One, and it's even better than we could've hoped. [Jan 1999, p.166]