9.1

1. Sep 16, 2010
    Gaming perfection, resulting in the quality of gaming we know today. Map design was genius for the time, when most games lacked puzzle elements, weapon design and a.i. was also top notch. Everything from the safe feeling the start had until the ending on xen was a joy ride with constant new equipment and weapons.
  2. Dec 1, 2011
    One of the best games ever made - great story plot, one of the best introduction cut scenes to ever be in a game, well balanced weapons, variety of weapons is just right. The graphics might look dated 10+ years later, but eye candy does not make a game great.
  3. Aug 22, 2011
    Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best gameBest game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever. Expand
  4. Oct 9, 2010
    Half Life, even today, remains a masterpiece of epic proportions. The graphics may be dated, but you'll be ignoring them the moment you get thrown into the combat, which is executed perfectly. You'll face a variety of enemies, from gun-toting U.S. Soldiers to aliens like headcrabs and vortigaunts. Luckily, you get a number of great weapons as you play on, like the powerful revolver or theHalf Life, even today, remains a masterpiece of epic proportions. The graphics may be dated, but you'll be ignoring them the moment you get thrown into the combat, which is executed perfectly. You'll face a variety of enemies, from gun-toting U.S. Soldiers to aliens like headcrabs and vortigaunts. Luckily, you get a number of great weapons as you play on, like the powerful revolver or the smg with an attached grenade launcher. The ambiance is also amazing; you'll hear growls of hidden enemies as you pass through dimly-lit areas. A simply amazing experience that must be played Expand
  5. Jan 14, 2012
    Half-life is an amazing game. It defined storytelling in FPS games (and probably other genres too). It's FPS combat was masterful. The graphics, while outdated in this day and age, were excellent for it's time and are still excellent. It's a great combination of modern and futuristic warfare with militants and aliens. Well done Valve. Well done.
  6. Mar 3, 2012
    The best game ever, along with Zelda, Goldeneye, Deus ex, Metal gear, FF7 and (insert your favourite MMORPG here). Basically. Showing it's age but if you download the 'HD' version with nicer visuals, it's still worth a play. Lets hope the endless sequels of today wind down and quality original games become the norm again.
  7. Jan 5, 2012
    This is probably one of the best FPS experience I've had. The game has a great story and atmosphere and is very fun to play. Graphics were outstanding when it got released. They're not the greatest right now, but you can install an HD pack to improve them. The game is a must buy for those who want to know what FPS really means.
  8. May 6, 2012
    If you want to buy this game:
    What the **** are you waiting for? DO IT!
    The game is extremely fun and paced, it's mostly composed of action and understandable story. Great graphics (for the time it was released anyway).
  9. Oct 29, 2011
    I have played Half Life since the beginning. It is an excellent game that has good replay ability. When I was able to get the Half Life Source on Steam it improved the graphics and game play considerably. I highly recommend this shooter to anyone. It has a great storyline and will bring a lot of enjoyment.
  10. Sep 8, 2011
    I've played all the Half-Life games since the first and Each and every one is AMAZING! I just cant get enough of it! I Can't wait until Episode 3! I
  11. Dec 18, 2011
    This is the first person shooter of the century. It is the greatest. Graphics are amazing for the time period (1990s) and the gameplay is so innovative. Valve is a great company. They haven't released a disappointing game yet. It is the reason for the word 'perfect'. Definitely recommend to everyone.
  12. Dec 23, 2011
    Half-Life has become the most cool game in the world.
    This game love million peoples. Beautifull story line, gameplay.
    Must buy, or download!
  13. May 19, 2012
    Half-Life is to the FPS what Homo Habilis is to man: yes it's a has-been, but it was a necessary pivotal step to get to where we are now, and perfect during its time.
  14. May 24, 2012
    This is the best game i have ever played, yes kids "old" games are sometimes better than the actual games, if you think that a game it's great just for it's graphics there's something wrong with you.
    if it wasn't for games like Half-life, Doom and Wolfenstein 3d, games like call of duty or halo would have never existed, that's it we owe all FPS games to Half-life, Doom and Wolfenstein 3d.
  15. Oct 6, 2012
    Half-life is a timeless, genre re-defining classic that will forever serve as an influential template for first person shooters. It has served as a manifesto for countless FPS's in the last decade and a half and raised the storytelling medium to unprecedented heights.
  16. Mar 30, 2012
    This game is still a masterpiece and makes me proud to be a gamer. Despite being a handsome game for the late 90's Half-Life now looks very dated. However teh brilliant gameplay is still there. You can't call yourself a hardcore gamer unless you've played Half-Life.
  17. Aug 20, 2010
    This game blew my mind. The storyline combines puzzles, action and exploring in a perfect harmony which makes Half-Life one of the history's most important game. Still today it gives me a lot of gameplay. The multiplayer is absolutely worth a shot, especially during LAN's since on-line is not so very crowded and the people playing are veterans.
  18. May 20, 2012
    A lot of people base their reviews on nostalgia on older games. And while this still is a very nostalgic game it still lives up to this day in terms of gameplay. Half-Life was the first first person shooter that truly did not focus all its attention on the action; it also focused on the atmosphere, story, and puzzle like elements. It laid the footsteps for other first person shooters to follow.
  19. Jun 23, 2011
    Half Life for me is truly a brilliant game. The level designs were impeccable for its day, and, yes there may be no dialogue, but could you imagine Gordon Freeman speaking?

The weaponry was well placed, due to the best weaponry (Experimental) being placed near the end, with the ammo for the heavy guns particulate not being laden all over, but in places that were believable, and scarce enough so that they couldn't simply be spammed over and over.
  20. Aug 19, 2011
    After all these years, Half-life is still just as timeless as ever. Sure, the graphics are dated, but if you can look past that then you're in for a treat. Just be warned, Half-Life 3's release date is still sometime after the rapture. So you might want to prepare for a wait.
  21. Dec 1, 2010
    If you are an idiot like one who plays black ops. Then you wont like this. If you are a brilliant and open minded person, prepare to be shocked away. This game is just perfect..... (Other than the occasional problem with the puzzle's and bug) NOTE : Made in the 90's SO EXPECT BAD GRAPHICS
    ITS DIRECT X 7!!!! ( not that it matters ) SO DONT GET MAD AT IT FOR I quote "Graphics suck, just look at black ops"
    IF YOU WANT GRAPHICS, DONT USE A CONSOLE, AND GET A NICE SETUP WITH FULL DX11 CAPABILLITY TO BLAST CRYSIS 1 AND CRYSIS 2 AWAY ON MAXIMUM!!!!
    That explains the idiots out there that judge games by graphical capabillity.
  22. Jan 6, 2011
    This game, back when I first played it, came to me as a surprise. The depth of the story coupled with length of the game was like reading a novel. Sure, at some points I died so many times it was ridiculous, but that's okay. I played for days before beating it and the ending left me with a smile. Gordon Freeman started nerds on the track of supremacy in combat. Anyways, the gameplay wasThis game, back when I first played it, came to me as a surprise. The depth of the story coupled with length of the game was like reading a novel. Sure, at some points I died so many times it was ridiculous, but that's okay. I played for days before beating it and the ending left me with a smile. Gordon Freeman started nerds on the track of supremacy in combat. Anyways, the gameplay was solid, there were parts that I had to do over because it glitched out on me or I missed something. But all in all, worth a play through while we hold our breath for Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Expand
  23. Jul 26, 2012
    This game will forever be among my personal favorites. Great story and amazing gameplay, the environments and maps are well designed and the sound is great. Had a lot of fun.
  24. Mar 26, 2011
    Great original game which can be bought on steam for a cheap $10! Has awesome graphics for its age, game-play and story and you can even meet some funny and scary people in this game. I recommend this game!
  25. Mar 23, 2012
    I'm kinda mixed up on this game, but I can say one thing: it's a very cured and detailed game. I liked the story, the enemy AI is fantastic and very challenging, and the setting and places are extremely well done: you can see how much time they put into this game. But still...I hated few things. For example, the jumping parts: you can easily lose health by jumping 1 cm more higher thanI'm kinda mixed up on this game, but I can say one thing: it's a very cured and detailed game. I liked the story, the enemy AI is fantastic and very challenging, and the setting and places are extremely well done: you can see how much time they put into this game. But still...I hated few things. For example, the jumping parts: you can easily lose health by jumping 1 cm more higher than normal (and we talk about 10 hp or more), and so you'll sometimes HAVE TO use ladders or avoid crazy jumps which, in many games, won't harm you. Even if the AI is challenging, some enemies are just far too hard in my opinion and sometimes the game becomes very unbalanced (the soldiers were the hardest m------ers I've ever beaten, while all the other aliens were easier, even the biggest ones). Add also that the explosions are very big, meaning that you can still get hit even if you're far at times (I got hit also when I was hiding behind crates, not too far away, while I shot at some bombs attached to the wall...this still scarred me). And, if I have to be brutal, some parts looked unneccesary and to me they looked like "add ups" instead of real continuation. But still, it's a good game and actually very modern to this day: good puzzles, very detailed settings, interesting story and a well though gameplay: can't say it fails somewhere can I? Expand
  26. Nov 13, 2011
    One word: perfect.
    The next games haven't got the same fantastic story and gameplay!
    Only one impressed me like Half-life and it is Portal (1-2)....i love this games....LOVE!
  27. Jul 5, 2011
    Wow I am bored, Anyhow this game was awesome back in the day, Since times have progressed you might find this game boring(I still enjoy it) but your going to want to know the whole story when the final installment comes out so skip a happy meal buy this(along with Half-Life 2, Ep.1 Ep.2) and get up to speed with the story of Dr. Freeman and his best friend the crowbar before the nextWow I am bored, Anyhow this game was awesome back in the day, Since times have progressed you might find this game boring(I still enjoy it) but your going to want to know the whole story when the final installment comes out so skip a happy meal buy this(along with Half-Life 2, Ep.1 Ep.2) and get up to speed with the story of Dr. Freeman and his best friend the crowbar before the next installment comes out which will probably make game of the year. Expand
  28. Aug 1, 2011
    This is far away the best shooter from history of games. Everything changes since its was made.

If you like shooters from todays, you got to know this game!

So, i dont need to explain about the great gameplay, grade awsome context, everything was nice.

GOrdon Freeman is the greatest hero of all times and, he dont need do say a word..
  29. Jul 31, 2011
    Such a great game! Half-Life is the game that launched Valve into superstardom and they have good reason! It's got action, suspense, horror, twists, and an ever-changing plot that will leave you speechless. What else can I say? It has all the elements that make a first-person shooter great! I can not recommend this game enough!
  30. Jul 30, 2011
    Surely PC games were made before this, but PC games didn't truly exist until this was made. This is the messiah of PC gaming. This is everything. I have barely even played this, but I can confirm this as true.
  31. Aug 23, 2011
    An excellent and classic game that belongs in the hands of all fps players and adventure lovers. Unfortunately you can not go by the negative reviews on here, because it seems that most of these people started playing games when Modern Warfare 2 came out. Coming from some one who played games since the 90's, you should not even ponder playing this game, its a classic and it will forever beAn excellent and classic game that belongs in the hands of all fps players and adventure lovers. Unfortunately you can not go by the negative reviews on here, because it seems that most of these people started playing games when Modern Warfare 2 came out. Coming from some one who played games since the 90's, you should not even ponder playing this game, its a classic and it will forever be one of your favorites Expand
  32. Aug 16, 2011
    the low critics from 2005 to 2011 are becouse you didnt play the game when this came out, and you are a noob. this game is still an EXCELLENT GAME, this game has everything...you will have fun always, and, for playing hl2, you must play this masterpiece!!
  33. Aug 21, 2011
    Half-Life is a great game developed by a genius corporation which was about 8 years ahead of it's time.
    Great storyline, the graphics with design are fun don't forget it had the best game-play you had ever seen.
    Once you got off of that monorail you were able to put yourself in situations you would never forget!
  34. Sep 1, 2011
    One of the first 'mature' games i ever played in my life and instantly became my favorite series. The creepy moments kept me at the edge of my seat and all the characters and actions always kept my attention. I really enjoyed this game. This game was also a high end game for the time that it came out in.
  35. Oct 5, 2011
    I seriously have nothing negative to say about it, it's JUST good. Fantastic combat, extremely creative, it's just so addicting and fun. I don't care who you are, get this game. - 100/100
  36. Oct 8, 2011
    My favorite game so far I have absolutly nothing negative to say about this game it is just WOW! once you play it you will be begging for more no doubt in my mind a 10/10
  37. Nov 30, 2011
    i just wanna say three words, BEST-GAME-EVER!!! i love the history, the npc, the graphics, weapons, enemies, sequels, extras..... i just love it, awesome work valve!!!
  38. Nov 23, 2011
    This game is a classic, not only has it basically started valves career into FPS making but it is a good start. Excellent storyline even though it looks a bit dated, but graphics don't make a game, 10 out of -2
  39. Dec 12, 2012
    Ah this game is so amazing... You could say that all games that came after this took so much inspiration of it. Really it's the best game ever made. I have finished it now 68 times and still I find so much new and cool. If someone hasn't played this I will make him/her to play, because no wonder it has the best single-player experience. PLAY IT NOW!
  40. Dec 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is very good, Graphic is best, the old game of taking. Valve makes good games. It's probably one of the best games I've ever played despite it coming out so long ago. Sorry for my bad english. Expand
  41. Jan 4, 2012
    PC gamer? You need to play this. Take all the great things that Valve does, like great map design, mood, satire, dark humor, fun humor, emotional pull, good dialog, driving gameplay, award-worthy story telling, guns guns guns, and physics!, and then go back to the roots. Here you are, now go kill some aliens with your PhD, crowbar and shotgun, because you're GORDON FREEMAN.
  42. Jan 17, 2012
    This game is KING . I spent a good chunk of time playing half life, but most of the time was spent playing all of its mods. CS, DOD, Ricochet,Brainbread, HOSTILE INTENT(favourite, wish it wasn't dead) , the trenches, the specialists, natural selection, action half-life, syndicate, afraid of monsters, the trap, sven co-op, and more. Played so many mods , and many of those mods are more funThis game is KING . I spent a good chunk of time playing half life, but most of the time was spent playing all of its mods. CS, DOD, Ricochet,Brainbread, HOSTILE INTENT(favourite, wish it wasn't dead) , the trenches, the specialists, natural selection, action half-life, syndicate, afraid of monsters, the trap, sven co-op, and more. Played so many mods , and many of those mods are more fun than games out today. Expand
  43. Mar 11, 2012
    For 1998 this is a very good game with great graphics. (For the date.) What I can't stand is the voice acting, which kills me, but yet again it's a VERY old game and this is what old games were like. It deserves a such high score because Valve was a success with this series, and has always been a success. Remember, for the old date of this game, it's a good game. Everyone who is ratingFor 1998 this is a very good game with great graphics. (For the date.) What I can't stand is the voice acting, which kills me, but yet again it's a VERY old game and this is what old games were like. It deserves a such high score because Valve was a success with this series, and has always been a success. Remember, for the old date of this game, it's a good game. Everyone who is rating this down due to it's graphics or sound by a lot, is obviously not a old school gamer and use to good graphics.
    Great game.
  44. Jan 23, 2012
    Half Life is an amazing game that has very few flaws. The games mapping is very good and almost every level looks unique and different. Id give that a 9.5. The Graphics for the time were amazing, now days they aren't very special but i'd give them a 10 out of 10 like they were given back in 1998. The sound is really good for the most part, there are a few lines of dialogue from people thatHalf Life is an amazing game that has very few flaws. The games mapping is very good and almost every level looks unique and different. Id give that a 9.5. The Graphics for the time were amazing, now days they aren't very special but i'd give them a 10 out of 10 like they were given back in 1998. The sound is really good for the most part, there are a few lines of dialogue from people that sound to fake, but as for alien howls and guns going off there great. 9.5 out of 10. As for the game play its very good for the most part. The wide variety of enemies from small little headcrabs to soldiers working as a team are great, a few boss fights and platforming sections later in the game bring this score down to a 9.7 out of 10. The final part for my review is the story and what a story it has. While i wont go to deep into a detail about it, here is a small rundown aliens are attacking earth and you need to escape the base black mesa. The best part of this game is its told entirely from the players point of view and there is not a single cut scene in the whole game. Expand
  45. May 23, 2012
    Half-Life 2 being my favourite game of all time, making this a close contender. Half-Life was the first game I ever acquired on my first computer. I can keep coming back to it as it never gets old.
  46. May 24, 2012
    I downloaded the demo when this first came out with no real expectations and it was one of a kind and insanely good! It looked and played excellent on my 133mhz 16meg ram and 2 meg graphics card computer... The best thing about Half Life was it's unique atmosphere which every element of the game contributed to.
  47. Aug 8, 2012
    Dont waste your time reading negative reviews, they are all written by illiterate morons with no taste in video games. Either that, or they never gave the game more than 10 minutes until likely getting bored because it wasn't Call of Duty Modern Black Assault Ops Warfare 5
  48. Jun 11, 2012
    This game is where it all began. No, it may not be as fancy and adventurous as some of the new games coming out, but if you want to sit down with a classic, here's the one. It's challenging, creative, full of options, pretty well balanced for it's age, and it gets you to think outside the -orange- box, haha.
  49. Jun 18, 2012
    For a game made in 1998; it's quite impressive. Story line is unique and keeps the player wanting more. Graphics are a bit more advanced than most game's in the 90's. Completely worth the time and money, especially if your'e a fan of the half-life series.
  50. Jul 1, 2012
    Just hands down one of the best FPS games ever made. The story captured my interest from the first few minutes and I sat down for three days straight to finish the game. After you beat it, it doesn't have a whole lot of replay value, but man, I really liked this game. It was cool, it showed me how much fun playing on my PC could be. It helped me be more of a PC gamer and it always had meJust hands down one of the best FPS games ever made. The story captured my interest from the first few minutes and I sat down for three days straight to finish the game. After you beat it, it doesn't have a whole lot of replay value, but man, I really liked this game. It was cool, it showed me how much fun playing on my PC could be. It helped me be more of a PC gamer and it always had me hoping to catch up to that guy in the black suit! It has some "flaws" like the awkward NPCs...there are like 40 of the same scientist and the same security guards, but it just makes it kind of funny and isn't really something worth criticizing in my opinion. Great game. Expand
  51. Jul 19, 2012
    The Half-life1 Series of games are storytelling masterpieces!
    Still the best fps games ive ever played,There Gameplay/puzzles/Atmosphere really set the mold for all modern fps.
  52. Jul 29, 2012
    This game produced one of the greatest Mod's of all time: CounterStrike. And only because of that it well deserved this epic score! But only because i never actually played through the game i can only give it a 9
  53. Aug 4, 2012
    For the people who hate this game, or think is overrated, stop kidding yourselves. This game really deserves its place. for the people who wished for a speech log, give it some thought: Does your life have a speech log? In this game it is your choice to ignore or listen to people. Some weapons are common, but some of them are exotic, brand new, and fantastic. The story is told without evenFor the people who hate this game, or think is overrated, stop kidding yourselves. This game really deserves its place. for the people who wished for a speech log, give it some thought: Does your life have a speech log? In this game it is your choice to ignore or listen to people. Some weapons are common, but some of them are exotic, brand new, and fantastic. The story is told without even the need of cutscenes. If you didn't get the story... well, ehmargehrd.

Good points everywhere. Even the Xen zone gave me more than I expected from this game.

The bad point of this game is that it doesn't autosave. I played for 3 hours without saving... yes, right in the heart. You can choose chapters, but it's not the same. You need to press F6 (Quick save) almost every 2 min if you want to play it without trouble.

My two brothers hate the HL series just because the graphics aren't like MW3. If you are like them, and like games just because graphics, you're missing some of the best games of the world.

Games like HL only come once in a lifetime.
  54. Oct 12, 2012
    After many years its release, Half-Life is able to amuse gamers,only because is a product really well done;
    available on steam, it's crazy let it get away
  55. Dec 30, 2012
    Half Life is a "one of a kind" gaming experience, the kind that pushes the game industry forward. Thanks to his amazing storytelling, his challenging gameplay and human-like enemies' A.I., Half Life keeps you glued to the screen from the first to the last frame. A must play even after 14 years from his release.
  56. Nov 14, 2012
    One of the greatest games of all time, the amazing atmosphere still carries through to this day. Revolutionary game play at the time and still fun to this day.
  57. Dec 25, 2012
    I am sure that this is best game ever made. Best feeling, best music, sounds, environment... Valve should make some similar game with GoldSrc engine...
  58. Jan 26, 2013
    One of the mile stones for PC Gaming production. Was one of the best innovative game for it's time - especially for game-play IF, graphic and innovative Map design_ In 1998, was really a big jump that has setted new standards in FPS/Game making at least for subsequent 5 years!
  59. Sep 11, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece that can be considered the best of all time. Nothing can even come close to the impact that this game made for the entire world. This single handily created the modern FPS genre. Sure Doom and Duke Nukem 3D were good, but Half Life made it a story, not a mindless shooting frenzy. If you are looking for that, then this game will be semi unpleasing for you. If youThis game is a masterpiece that can be considered the best of all time. Nothing can even come close to the impact that this game made for the entire world. This single handily created the modern FPS genre. Sure Doom and Duke Nukem 3D were good, but Half Life made it a story, not a mindless shooting frenzy. If you are looking for that, then this game will be semi unpleasing for you. If you are looking for a great game with a great story line and combat, then this game will satisfy your needs easily. Expand
  60. Aug 18, 2012
    I just want to know those 26 idiots and 100 retards who gave a low score to such gaming gem. I hope they're just 10 years old kids, in that case it's ok, but if they're adult people I really have shame for them.
  61. Aug 23, 2010
    Half-Life is simply magnificent. It has a easy to very hard difficulty for each of it's levels. I do have to say though, they need to give you less ammo. Enemies can be easy and hard. It is a great game for it's time and even for today. I have to recommend it to everybody.
  62. Oct 23, 2010
    This game is amazing still to this day on any platform you play it. I originally got it on the PS2 and I was blown away by it. It is even better on the PC! No other FPS game after Goldeneye had the same effect this game had on me. If you have never played this, you must give it a shot some time if you can. There are mods and tools to make the game look pretty again.
  63. Oct 23, 2010
    This is a great game to play. Lots of hours, lots of thrills, plenty of challenges. The story line is pretty good, too. This game can be replayed and still be found very enjoyable. You can move at a fast pace, or take your time. I find that very enjoyable. I get tired of some games where you have to run break neck speed through the whole process. I think there should be more games likeThis is a great game to play. Lots of hours, lots of thrills, plenty of challenges. The story line is pretty good, too. This game can be replayed and still be found very enjoyable. You can move at a fast pace, or take your time. I find that very enjoyable. I get tired of some games where you have to run break neck speed through the whole process. I think there should be more games like this. Half Life 2 is good, too but way too fast paced for me to thoroughly enjoy playing it. Expand
  64. Nov 17, 2011
    Classic FPS. I didn't get into it as much at first until I played Half-Life 2, but after I came back to it, even after all these years, I found that the world was just unforgettably good. The atmosphere is incredible, and the combat system is fun. Certain parts of the game were definitely frustrating, but shouldn't stop you from enjoying the game if you have the drive to finish it. If youClassic FPS. I didn't get into it as much at first until I played Half-Life 2, but after I came back to it, even after all these years, I found that the world was just unforgettably good. The atmosphere is incredible, and the combat system is fun. Certain parts of the game were definitely frustrating, but shouldn't stop you from enjoying the game if you have the drive to finish it. If you like science-fiction and FPS games, this is definitely worth considering. The sequel is even better as well.

The graphics are obviously bad, considering the games age, but if you can look past that, this game is no doubt a gem. If you can't get over how bad the graphics are, you might try Half-Life 2 first instead. If you're a sci-fi FPS fan who likes thought-provoking video games, I wouldn't be surprised to hear after playing HL2 you'll want to come back and give this one another shot =). Give it a try. It's a classic for a lot of reasons. Plus, the soundtrack is superb.
  65. Dec 26, 2010
    This is so much more than a game, because you end up forgetting it's a game. It's old and it's the best.
  66. Dec 31, 2010
    The creation of a series of games that surpass any game out there. It's just an amazing game that has different twists to it(ex) when they teleport to space and to Xen. It is truly a masterpiece that created a new aspect on video games. Best FPS ever.
  67. Jan 25, 2011
    Half Life is an amazing game. Valve didn't lie when they say that combines great storytelling with intense action. They put you in the skin of a mute main character, and the story is a masterpiece, which triggers a series of game with twists and confusion . And what a powerful engine, 12 years ago i was totally amazed, adn i'm still today, thinking it. It's the game that you must play inHalf Life is an amazing game. Valve didn't lie when they say that combines great storytelling with intense action. They put you in the skin of a mute main character, and the story is a masterpiece, which triggers a series of game with twists and confusion . And what a powerful engine, 12 years ago i was totally amazed, adn i'm still today, thinking it. It's the game that you must play in this generation. Expand
  68. Feb 18, 2011
    I absolutely LOVE this game. This is the first fictional universe I wanted to understand. It truly revolutionized the way a story can be told in the gaming medium. What set it apart was its immersion. There are no cutscenes that take control away from the player; the player IS Freeman. You are in this world and you are fighting for your life. This game is the ideal melding of actionI absolutely LOVE this game. This is the first fictional universe I wanted to understand. It truly revolutionized the way a story can be told in the gaming medium. What set it apart was its immersion. There are no cutscenes that take control away from the player; the player IS Freeman. You are in this world and you are fighting for your life. This game is the ideal melding of action gameplay and story given the technology of the time. It was brilliant, and, to me, established gaming as just as valid an artistic medium as novels and film. Expand
  69. Mar 9, 2011
    An absolute masterpiece that still holds up today. I try to play through HL every few years and every time I do it's almost like a brand new experience.
  70. Mar 14, 2011
    One of the finest and best games out there. It's even better than it's sequel, despite the fact that the graphics and engine is updated in Half-Life 2, what I like about the game is the atmosphere, the gameplay, the storyline (even though I didn't finish the game yet), the style, and the characters. What I don't get about the characters though is there are thousands of Barneys, butOne of the finest and best games out there. It's even better than it's sequel, despite the fact that the graphics and engine is updated in Half-Life 2, what I like about the game is the atmosphere, the gameplay, the storyline (even though I didn't finish the game yet), the style, and the characters. What I don't get about the characters though is there are thousands of Barneys, but whatever. People said this game changed the face of FPSes, it did pretty well on that goal. Expand
  71. Mar 28, 2011
    I'll start by saying I played hl2 +ep1+2 before playing this game. I just bought the original recently and found that it's still better than most shooters to this day. The atmosphere, level creativity, and pace are glorious. glorious. I'm partial to games with a great story/atmosphere and the hl games are unrivaled. story isn't my favorite, hardly any dialogue, but the mystery surroundingI'll start by saying I played hl2 +ep1+2 before playing this game. I just bought the original recently and found that it's still better than most shooters to this day. The atmosphere, level creativity, and pace are glorious. glorious. I'm partial to games with a great story/atmosphere and the hl games are unrivaled. story isn't my favorite, hardly any dialogue, but the mystery surrounding the events occurring around freeman largely contribute to hl's interesting atmosphere. it's not that the plot is poor, it can just be contained on a single page. i really hope valve releases half-life 3 within the next 50 years. Expand
  72. May 10, 2011
    FANTASTIC GAME. This is a landmark first-person shooter that combines effective story-telling, intense and exciting combat, lush environments and meaty weapons. This is one of the finest games ever created, with a cracking single-player campaign and breathless multiplayer, Half-Life has aged incredibly well and remains a joy to play more than ten years after its release. Half-Life castsFANTASTIC GAME. This is a landmark first-person shooter that combines effective story-telling, intense and exciting combat, lush environments and meaty weapons. This is one of the finest games ever created, with a cracking single-player campaign and breathless multiplayer, Half-Life has aged incredibly well and remains a joy to play more than ten years after its release. Half-Life casts you as Gordon Freeman, a scientist working at Black Mesa Research Facility. When an experiment goes wrong, creating a gateway to another planet, bringing in alien creatures, you have to fight your way through a horde of monsters and soldiers to the surface and eventually to the exotic planet Xen. From the moment you pick up that crowbar all the way to the final boss battle with the hypnotic Nihilanth, this is a stunning shooter that is constantly throwing surprises in your face. Expand
  73. Nov 6, 2013
    Not only one of the greatest shooters of all time one of the greatest games, period. Revolutionized a genre previously known for pure run n' gun and 'shooting gallery' style game play with its storytelling, puzzles, and AI. Spawned countless successful mods(e.g. Counter-Strike) and influenced other games for years after its release.
  74. Sep 21, 2012
    At this point, you can just get Black Mesa for free and have done with it. Black Mesa gets a 9/10 because it's not without its bugs and annoyances, but it surpasses HL1 on quite a few fronts.
  75. Jun 16, 2011
    This was simply a genre defining game, and an example for many game developers to follow on, amazing single player, amazing mod support, great shock/horror moments, introduction of interactive AI, etc.
  76. CRL
    Jul 24, 2011
    Even more than a decade after it's creation, Half-Life is still a great game. If you can get past the ancient graphics you will enjoy this game just as much (and probably more) than any other. The story is awesome. The enemies are great, (and at some parts downright creepy). The weapons are expansive for it's time, and And Gordon Freeman was voted the greatest video game hero of allEven more than a decade after it's creation, Half-Life is still a great game. If you can get past the ancient graphics you will enjoy this game just as much (and probably more) than any other. The story is awesome. The enemies are great, (and at some parts downright creepy). The weapons are expansive for it's time, and And Gordon Freeman was voted the greatest video game hero of all time. What more do you need? Expand
  77. Sep 3, 2011
    This is possibly one of the best PC games ever made(Tied with Deus Ex and its sequel, Half-Life 2). For its time, the graphics were stunning. The level design, despite it being a linear game, still encourages free movement. The guns are satisfying to shoot and combat has the perfect difficulty. It's an incredible cinematic experience lasting over 12 hours, and only once or twice are youThis is possibly one of the best PC games ever made(Tied with Deus Ex and its sequel, Half-Life 2). For its time, the graphics were stunning. The level design, despite it being a linear game, still encourages free movement. The guns are satisfying to shoot and combat has the perfect difficulty. It's an incredible cinematic experience lasting over 12 hours, and only once or twice are you forced too look at a certain area. If you like FPS games, there is no question. BUY IT. Expand
  78. Nov 8, 2011
    Half-Life is truly one of the most iconic and memorable first person shooters in existence. The immersion is masterfully executed, and the moment you get on the monorail to Black Mesa, the game does all that it can do in it's power to thrust you into a dynamic and changing environment. A lack of cut-scenes prevents gameplay break, so the player is constantly on his toes in a desperate bidHalf-Life is truly one of the most iconic and memorable first person shooters in existence. The immersion is masterfully executed, and the moment you get on the monorail to Black Mesa, the game does all that it can do in it's power to thrust you into a dynamic and changing environment. A lack of cut-scenes prevents gameplay break, so the player is constantly on his toes in a desperate bid for survival. Graphics are solid for it's time, but have definitely aged. Shooting is fun and intuitive, and the game heaps a truckload of interesting and varied weapons for you to use. Boss fights play out like puzzles, challenging you to find their weaknesses. Sadly, the only thing that soils this game is the Xen stages at the very end, a commonly cited complaint for this game. The complete change in atmosphere and tone comes suddenly after hours in Black Mesa, a jarring experience for many. Thankfully, the last boss manages to be interesting enough in it's own right.

Half-Life remains a solid gaming experience for any gamer looking for that extra challenge.
  79. Jan 1, 2012
    The overall package with its brilliant singleplayer, multiplayer and modability were much more than any other game could deliver back in 98. Every aspect of this game was as good as it gets, only unreal managed to have slightly better graphics and music back then. While its basicly technically superior competitor unreal focussed more on mulitplayer games in future, half-life managed toThe overall package with its brilliant singleplayer, multiplayer and modability were much more than any other game could deliver back in 98. Every aspect of this game was as good as it gets, only unreal managed to have slightly better graphics and music back then. While its basicly technically superior competitor unreal focussed more on mulitplayer games in future, half-life managed to succesfully create a new singleplayer univere and keeps it alive till today. This was the start of a flawless series that still keeps million of people hooked. Expand
  80. Nov 4, 2014
    One of the best games ever made, and it started the best game franchise ever made.
    ...................................................................
  81. Oct 2, 2012
    The iconic game Half-life made by valve is a must-play game. Its graphic hols up to this day and the gameplay is amazing. A great story-line which is delivered by a great number of subtle hints instead of interrupting in-game videos showing how the story progresses. Revolutionary in its time and a great inspiration for other classics, this game is definitely worth a try 10/10.
  82. Aug 25, 2012
    Half Life. One of the games that revolutionized the FPS genre. It has a good story, great gameplay and good graphics (for that time). The protagonist, Gordon Freeman, has no defined personality, but I guess Valve wanted the player to imagine what Gordon says and thinks throughout the game. A bit repetitive with it's puzzles, but it shouldn't hinder you from having fun with it.
  83. Dec 25, 2013
    It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire fps genre, but Half-Life has done just that. Immersive and engaging entertainment experience.
  84. Sep 26, 2013
    While the sequel to this game takes all of the plaudits for being one of the best games ever made, but for me Half Life is so much better. As someone who has recently beat the game you would think that the dated graphics would be an issue, but the answer is no.

If I'm honest however, I must admit that the story is fairly mediocre at best, and also you will find slightly repetitive 'room to room, wave after wave' situations throughout the game. But the fact is, the sheer genius and quality of Half Life dwarfs those issues. What is also a testament to the game is that I am simply not used to/experienced with classic/old games so the fact I can appreciate the game is surprising for me.

Of all the games I have played, Half Life has by far the best level design. You will experience that there isn't just one way of getting through a section of the game. Throughout the 15 hour campaign, I honestly felt none of the levels were repetitive which is something that should be praised as it was the first ever game made by Valve.

The enemies are varied and challenging, in fact, its one of the most difficult games I have ever played. I often watched walkthroughs to help me progess. Nevertheless, the enemies are outstanding, level design is incredible and the length of the game is very satisfying. I've also played Half Life 2 and for me, this game is a lot better.

9/10 Brilliant
  85. Jul 24, 2013
    I first bought this game because I heard so many good things about it that I HAD to see it for myself. The first thing that hit me (playing it in 2013) was the graphics (produced 1998). I laughed a bit at the graphics at the beginning, but I don't think I thought about them again after the 10 minute mark. At all. I became so immersed in the story that I didn't have any spare thoughts toI first bought this game because I heard so many good things about it that I HAD to see it for myself. The first thing that hit me (playing it in 2013) was the graphics (produced 1998). I laughed a bit at the graphics at the beginning, but I don't think I thought about them again after the 10 minute mark. At all. I became so immersed in the story that I didn't have any spare thoughts to give. I launched it expecting to play an hour, but was surprised when 3 o'clock rolled around and I hadn't eaten anything! The very next day, I started it up telling myself I wouldn't let that happen again. The story kept my full attention and I had to be called for dinner. At that moment I realized, after making me do nothing but game on that one game all day, two days in a row(which I try never to let happen), that Half Life was exactly what everyone told me it would be. After thinking about it for a bit, I have decided that it is one of the best single-player games I have ever played, if not for but everything other than the graphics (which doesn't even matter, after one stops obsessing over them and remember exactly when it was made).

One thing that I was really impressed about was the variety of weapons one found. For me, in different situations I liked to whip out Weapon X to confront Guy A and then switch to Weapon Y to finish off Alien B, or altogether stay back and pick them off with Weapon Z. I also impressed with the amount of ammo you get throughout the duration of the game. Half Life seems to give you just enough ammo for Favorite Gun X that you have to pick and choose when you want to use it while still allowing you to use it when you want without fear that you will be left defenseless. I leaves you with exactly enough to get by a point in the game to make you FEEL that you might run out.

My favorite thing about Half Life is its adrenaline moments. This game keeps you on your feet the entire time. Aliens can teleport in at any time, you walk around a corner and you are assaulted on all sides, an unseen headcrab jumps at your face, something completely unexpected happens. You can never take any little task for granted in this game; if something happens normally a two or three times, its a prime target for some sort of unexpected jump.

The negative reviews seem to all say the same thing: Bad graphics, how they don't understand the story, and that the character movement is difficult to manage. To enjoy the game, you have to let go of the graphics. Simple as that. If you are one of those guys that won't even touch a game that has bad graphics, you can download Source SDK Base 2007 and the free mod Black Mesa (It is basically the same story, minor changes, newer graphics, but it is not made by Valve nor does it have the end portion of the game). The story is not exactly explained to you like a storyteller is explaining it to you, but instead you have to deduce from what you are asked to do in the game and the results of those actions what exactly is happening. If you did not understand why you did a certain task, I would suggest looking up the chapter you just completed (it says whenever you save on the list of loads which chapter you are on) on the internet. I know I missed at least one thing while playing this game, and it really helps keep the game enjoyable and understandable as you progress. Now, for some reason people are complaining about how hard it is to jump across a pit of *insert miserable object here* or how they can't use ladders, falling to their death in either case. This game does have its very short and subtle moments of parkour, but it is only difficult if you make it difficult. For these moments I can only tell you to jump at the last moment or look around to see if there is another way around/another jumping point. Lastly, the WASD keys are automatically set to a "Run" or "Jog" type of action. To climb down a ladder in real life, you wouldn't RUN down the ladder, would you? There is a "Walk" key--normally bound to SHIFT, where you can approach the ladder as one would in real life; walking carefully and accessing it full on and not an angle.

After addressing a good 80% of the reviews, lets take a look at the numbers now. As of today, 1826 people thoroughly enjoyed this game. 34 people were pretty OK with this game, but generally had some problems with it. 108 people (80 of which I have addressed) did not like the game at all. That leaves 28 people who just didn't like the game because they were not that into it legitimately (which I can totally accept). 28 out of 1968 people on Metacritic did not like this game for reasons that are unchangeable. If that trend continues for whoever reads this and is wondering if they should get Half Life, you have a 98.577% chance(1940 people who liked the game 1968 total people) of liking this game(rating it 5 or higher) or a 92.785% chance (1826 people 1968 total people) of enjoying this game a lot(rating it a 7 or higher). I'd say those are good odds.
  86. Jun 18, 2013
    I'm never sure if the people who give games like this 0's are mentally handicapped or trolling. I hope it's the latter. I played half-life 2 in 2006ish. I was 15 years old. I loved Half-life 2. I'm now 22 and I just decided to buy half-life because idk, for whatever reason I just decided I had never played the first one and it was time. It was released in 1998 and I beat this game in 2I'm never sure if the people who give games like this 0's are mentally handicapped or trolling. I hope it's the latter. I played half-life 2 in 2006ish. I was 15 years old. I loved Half-life 2. I'm now 22 and I just decided to buy half-life because idk, for whatever reason I just decided I had never played the first one and it was time. It was released in 1998 and I beat this game in 2 days because it was that good. I couldn't stop playing the campaign. After 15 years of it's release, accounting for generational differences in games, it's a top 5 best game of all time. Expand
  87. Feb 27, 2013
    Half life...There are so much adjetives to describe this game but it will take longer than 5000 characters because it not only got some good graphics, animation, argument (a distant feature in fps games) but its got all it can get. A perfect game that will not be forgotten....
  88. Dec 17, 2012
    One of the best games ever made. There's not much I can say about this that hasn't been said already. If you haven't played it pick this and the sequel up; the expansions are optional but worth your time for the most part (Opposing Force and Episode 2 are fantastic).
  89. Jan 24, 2013
    I'll never forget half life. It played a large part in defining my science fiction existence. No FPS had been anything like it before. This was largely in part due to scripted sequences. Instead of cutscenes, things actually played out infront of your eyes while you were still playing. It set the standard that nearly all games followed since then. The levels were also ingenius. Each levelI'll never forget half life. It played a large part in defining my science fiction existence. No FPS had been anything like it before. This was largely in part due to scripted sequences. Instead of cutscenes, things actually played out infront of your eyes while you were still playing. It set the standard that nearly all games followed since then. The levels were also ingenius. Each level was its own separate level, but designed in a way to look like it was seamless. Level A would end in a hallway, a loading bar would pop up while it loaded level B, with the beginning of Level B looking just like that hallway. It gave a sense that you were never really removed from the game world.

The storytelling was great as well. Instead of just being overloaded with cheesey information, you start off simply as a regular scientist working in a secret underground research facility somewhere in the south US known as Black Mesa. While performing a landmark experiment despite safety concerns from officials, you accidentally open a portal to an alien world. This experiment causes a "resonance cascade effect" (whatver that means) which causes temporal rifts to open throughout the entire facility, warping in hostile alien forces. The entire game is a story about surviving against all odds. The plot thickens even further as US Special forces are sent in. When you first see them you think "Awesome, backup!" but soon find out they aren't there to rescue you: they're there to destroy you & all the evidence with it.

It thickens even further when you advance through the game, you hear the Special forces are pulling out because its too much for even them to handle and you get the hint they are about to nuke the entire facility into oblivion.

One of the reasons the storyline is so great is because its so plausible. The actions from the scientists to the Special forces makes sense. If Half Life actually happened, it would very likely play out something like the game. Nothing turns me off more than an implausible story.

From the scripted sequences of scientists screaming by on a falling elevator, survivors in vents scared out of their minds, half life delivers an incredible variety of experiences. Action, suspense, hopelessness, triumph, uncertainty. While playing, you really couldn't predict what would happen next which is always one of the signs of a good story.

A real 10/10, and it isn't awarded lightly either.
  90. Jan 8, 2013
    One of the most influential games of all time, not only influencing the first-person genre, but also spawning so many great spin-offs and sequels such as Half-Life 2, Portal, L4D, Team Fortress, Counter-Strike etc.
  91. Apr 22, 2014
    What Half-Life does well is tell a story through action
    HL has no cutscenes because cutscenes are the opposite of action, they are inaction because it takes control away from the player.
    One of the key features of a "Rail Shooter", go from point a to point b with few diversions & no backtracking. Rail Shooter as in like a train, you always keep moving. Valve knows that backtracking
    What Half-Life does well is tell a story through action

Rail Shooter as in like a train, you always keep moving.
    Valve knows that backtracking gets frustrating faster than anything else, and is the most artificial way to enhance difficulty (hell increasing the damage the player takes is a better way if only marginally).
    Valve is also fond of vent crawling and puzzles which I've never seen much appeal in apart from the initial novelty of vent crawling.

Apart from being very moddable and userfriendly,
    Half-Life also does something incredibly well that has helped modders improve their own skills, and thats level design. Each place in the game looks hand crafted. No copy and pasting of sections or randomization here! It also knows how to be challenging without throwing tons of enemies at you, and thats with good enemy placement as well as knowing when to give the player rewards (weapon/ammo/health placement).

Its a game designer's poster child, thats what it is.
  92. Jan 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gra rewolucyjna, nawet dziś przyjemnie się gra mimo wiekowej technologi (jak na dzisiejsze czasy), zaś wątek fabularny każący przetrwać i odkrywać jak skończy się incydent w Black Mesie oraz poznawanie coraz to nowych zagrożeń oraz zagadek czyni tą grę w wielu przypadkach nawet lepszą pod względem fabuły od dzisiejszych arcydzieł /strzelanek, dokładając do tego naprawdę długą rozgrywkę potrzebną na przejście gry oraz niesamowity multiplayer na którym wzorowano wiele późniejszych produkcji. Suma tych wszystkich zalet pozwala tej grze nawet dziś mierzyć się z światowymi Hitami. Expand
  93. Feb 27, 2013
    While it hasn't aged well (play the Black Mesa mod for superior graphics), Half Life still can stand on its own feet as an excellent FPS. It has great game play, good story, and a truly epic ending. The enemies and weapons are varied and imaginative. My only major complaint is the engine. Early in the game, there are a multitude of block puzzles, which are quite frustrating to play onWhile it hasn't aged well (play the Black Mesa mod for superior graphics), Half Life still can stand on its own feet as an excellent FPS. It has great game play, good story, and a truly epic ending. The enemies and weapons are varied and imaginative. My only major complaint is the engine. Early in the game, there are a multitude of block puzzles, which are quite frustrating to play on the gldsrc. engine, but this can be negated by using Half Life: Source, which is the same game on the source engine. This game is not without its flaws, but stands with the likes of Mario and Pac-Man as a timeless classic, and is worth playing on basis of historical value alone. Expand
  94. Feb 23, 2013
    I am a huge half life fan, you may think that i am biased, but this game is best in whole wide world. Best graphics for its time and brilliant plot innovating game play. True oldschool shooter without iron sight, bleeding screen, auto restored hp and other casual things.
  95. Sep 4, 2013
    This is among the best games ever made the story is excellent so is the gameplay, level design everything is perfect except for a few things the dated graphics but back in 1998 is was amazing and the platforming is sometimes really fiddly and it is actually challenging even on Normal difficulty and for less experienced or casual players Easy presents a challenge (i think) but its neverThis is among the best games ever made the story is excellent so is the gameplay, level design everything is perfect except for a few things the dated graphics but back in 1998 is was amazing and the platforming is sometimes really fiddly and it is actually challenging even on Normal difficulty and for less experienced or casual players Easy presents a challenge (i think) but its never unfair it has some interesting setting and that feel of shooting in Half Life and then there is the multiplayer while this isn't the strong point of the game it's decent and paved the way for Counter-Strike and then theres the mods Counter Strike, Team Fortress started out as a Quake mod though), Day of Defeat and is better than Ocarina of Time Expand
  96. Apr 20, 2013
    A game from 1998 still kicks some newer games' asses! Good old times playing this game! I've enjoyed every single bit of it, good environments, great story line, not that much variety of NPCs or Aliens though its enough. Its funny how it actually costs more than HL2 but well, its really worth it.
  97. May 1, 2013
    Half-life was and still is a great PC games, although it lacks the graphics, it's still the horror experience that was promised! I enjoyed every bit of it and the chills every time I played through the dark, quite, alien infested environment that gave you surprises lurking around every corner! Now this is what I call an FPS classic!
  98. May 3, 2013
    Half-Life is one of the best games ever made.

The action is set in the fictional Black Mesa Research Facility, where the player takes the role of Doctor Gordon Freeman, a Ph. D, MIT Theoretical Physics scientist. So the beginning is nothing really special, but the action itself begins only after the disaster. After being late, Gordon steps in his HEV Suit MK IV, and enters the chamber
    Half-Life is one of the best games ever made.

After being late, Gordon steps in his HEV Suit MK IV, and enters the chamber where they test a special crystal from a borderworld called Xen.

During the preparations, the scientist make a mistake by settings the Anti-Mass Spectrometer at 105% causing malfunction, and after inserting the crystal in the spectrometer, everything goes wrong.
    The machine doesn't respond and in the same time numerous alien creatures enter Earth and the facility through outnumbered portals opened during the incident.

After this Gordon must fight his way outside the facility, which is a hard job after the facility goes infested with aliens, and even more, zombies.

After seeing the disaster, the Marines are called to ,,clean,, the mess, and destroy the facility. Until the end of the game, Gordon rapidly becomes the prime target for the marines, who now must eliminate him, considering that the mess is only his fault, and eventually temporary captures him.

During the game, Gordon must solve puzzles, and is also helped on his way by security guards and scientist pinned down in the facility.

Until the end, Gordon makes his way in a last refuge of the remaining science team, where he finds out that the rocket(that he previously launched) didn't make full effect, and the portals were still kept opened from the other side.

As I already gave some spoilers, I won't reveal the next parts.

The game play is just pure awesomeness.

Gordon uses many real weapons such as mp5, 9mm Glock Pistol, Spas-12 Shotguns and others, to fight his way out the facility.

The AI is really good, the enemies aren't blindly attacking the player and other suicidal things, and using their own tactics to stop the player.

The game features some scripted sequences, that makes the game feel more cinematic, but not a ridiculous amount, and just where needed.

Also the game itself is linear, so there aren't many places you can miss during the game, but there are some, and still, even so, the game feels fluent, and the story doesn't really seem to be forced.

But even so, the game has a great replay value, and has a real memorable journey.

The graphics aren't ground-breaking, but even nowadays looks kind of decent, but outdated compared to others.

The game also features an both integrated, and separate multiplayer(the separate one is called Half-Life: Deathmatch), with no kind of plot, separate from the story, just in the same universe and just for fun, by being able to nuke some maps, where you must get in time inside the protected place to not get killed, but the game can also contain and be played on coop maps, in which you must complete the map's objective, solve puzzles, but also kill enemies here and there to progress.

Also due to the very friendly engine, the game can be very easily modded, by adding new maps, re-create the original weapons, sounds and more, or even make separate mods from the original game, which led to the creation of one of the biggest modding communities, most notable mods being Sven Co-Op, Black Operations, Life's End, but many many others.

There game also inspired a re-creation, called Black Mesa, being a total Source recreation of the original game, with same levels, but better physics, and graphics.

So my final word for the game is that is a masterpiece, with very little flaws(this ones being only bugs and minor glitches), and deserves to be played numerous times.
  99. sft
    May 22, 2013
    Gordon is definitely not a moron

Gordon is definitely not a moron

The Half-Life games are the thinking-person’s FPSs and the series is this reviewer’s favourite game franchise. The original game does look a bit dated by the standards of 2011 but bearing in mind that it was first released in 1998 it still looks pretty good, and in it’s day it was truly ground-breaking. It also used a physics engine that was the best of its time and an AI that performed far better than any other. Almost everything you could want is here: a good variety of environments, some satisfying puzzles, and some challenging combat. It also has, within the obvious limits of a shooter, a solid and engaging story. All of this makes for a game that keeps you entertained from start to finish and never outstays its welcome. Great stuff and it gets much much better with Half-Life

1. It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire genre, but Half-Life has done just that.
  2. The storyline runs in perfect harmony with the action and acts as a conduit not a stopgap, or a padding device. Each gaming element compliments the next and the entire presentation is nothing short of, well…dare we say it…revolutionary.
  3. This is The Big One, and it's even better than we could've hoped. [Jan 1999, p.166]