9.1

1. Sep 16, 2010
    Gaming perfection, resulting in the quality of gaming we know today. Map design was genius for the time, when most games lacked puzzle elements, weapon design and a.i. was also top notch. Everything from the safe feeling the start had until the ending on xen was a joy ride with constant new equipment and weapons.
  2. Dec 1, 2011
    One of the best games ever made - great story plot, one of the best introduction cut scenes to ever be in a game, well balanced weapons, variety of weapons is just right. The graphics might look dated 10+ years later, but eye candy does not make a game great.
  3. Aug 22, 2011
    Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever. Expand
  4. Oct 9, 2010
    Half Life, even today, remains a masterpiece of epic proportions. The graphics may be dated, but you'll be ignoring them the moment you get thrown into the combat, which is executed perfectly. You'll face a variety of enemies, from gun-toting U.S. Soldiers to aliens like headcrabs and vortigaunts. Luckily, you get a number of great weapons as you play on, like the powerful revolver or the smg with an attached grenade launcher. The ambiance is also amazing; you'll hear growls of hidden enemies as you pass through dimly-lit areas. A simply amazing experience that must be played Expand
  5. Jan 14, 2012
    Half-life is an amazing game. It defined storytelling in FPS games (and probably other genres too). It's FPS combat was masterful. The graphics, while outdated in this day and age, were excellent for it's time and are still excellent. It's a great combination of modern and futuristic warfare with militants and aliens. Well done Valve. Well done.
  6. Mar 3, 2012
    The best game ever, along with Zelda, Goldeneye, Deus ex, Metal gear, FF7 and (insert your favourite MMORPG here). Basically. Showing it's age but if you download the 'HD' version with nicer visuals, it's still worth a play. Lets hope the endless sequels of today wind down and quality original games become the norm again.
  7. Jan 5, 2012
    This is probably one of the best FPS experience I've had. The game has a great story and atmosphere and is very fun to play. Graphics were outstanding when it got released. They're not the greatest right now, but you can install an HD pack to improve them. The game is a must buy for those who want to know what FPS really means.
  8. May 6, 2012
    If you want to buy this game:
    What the **** are you waiting for? DO IT!
    The game is extremely fun and paced, it's mostly composed of action and understandable story. Great graphics (for the time it was released anyway).
  9. Oct 29, 2011
    I have played Half Life since the beginning. It is an excellent game that has good replay ability. When I was able to get the Half Life Source on Steam it improved the graphics and game play considerably. I highly recommend this shooter to anyone. It has a great storyline and will bring a lot of enjoyment.
  10. Sep 8, 2011
    I've played all the Half-Life games since the first and Each and every one is AMAZING! I just cant get enough of it! I Can't wait until Episode 3! I
  11. Dec 18, 2011
    This is the first person shooter of the century. It is the greatest. Graphics are amazing for the time period (1990s) and the gameplay is so innovative. Valve is a great company. They haven't released a disappointing game yet. It is the reason for the word 'perfect'. Definitely recommend to everyone.
  12. Dec 23, 2011
    Half-Life has become the most cool game in the world.
    This game love million peoples. Beautifull story line, gameplay.
    Must buy, or download!
  13. May 19, 2012
    Half-Life is to the FPS what Homo Habilis is to man: yes it's a has-been, but it was a necessary pivotal step to get to where we are now, and perfect during its time.
  14. May 24, 2012
    This is the best game i have ever played, yes kids "old" games are sometimes better than the actual games, if you think that a game it's great just for it's graphics there's something wrong with you.
    if it wasn't for games like Half-life, Doom and Wolfenstein 3d, games like call of duty or halo would have never existed, that's it we owe all FPS games to Half-life, Doom and Wolfenstein 3d.
  15. Oct 6, 2012
    Half-life is a timeless, genre re-defining classic that will forever serve as an influential template for first person shooters. It has served as a manifesto for countless FPS's in the last decade and a half and raised the storytelling medium to unprecedented heights.
  16. Mar 30, 2012
    This game is still a masterpiece and makes me proud to be a gamer. Despite being a handsome game for the late 90's Half-Life now looks very dated. However teh brilliant gameplay is still there. You can't call yourself a hardcore gamer unless you've played Half-Life.
  17. Aug 20, 2010
    This game blew my mind. The storyline combines puzzles, action and exploring in a perfect harmony which makes Half-Life one of the history's most important game. Still today it gives me a lot of gameplay. The multiplayer is absolutely worth a shot, especially during LAN's since on-line is not so very crowded and the people playing are veterans.
  18. May 20, 2012
    A lot of people base their reviews on nostalgia on older games. And while this still is a very nostalgic game it still lives up to this day in terms of gameplay. Half-Life was the first first person shooter that truly did not focus all its attention on the action; it also focused on the atmosphere, story, and puzzle like elements. It laid the footsteps for other first person shooters to follow.
  19. Jun 23, 2011
    Half Life for me is truly a brilliant game. The level designs were impeccable for its day, and, yes there may be no dialogue, but could you imagine Gordon Freeman speaking?

The weaponry was well placed, due to the best weaponry (Experimental) being placed near the end, with the ammo for the heavy guns particulate not being laden all over, but in places that were believable, and scarce
    enough so that they couldn't simply be spammed over and over. Expand
  20. Aug 19, 2011
    After all these years, Half-life is still just as timeless as ever. Sure, the graphics are dated, but if you can look past that then you're in for a treat. Just be warned, Half-Life 3's release date is still sometime after the rapture. So you might want to prepare for a wait.
  21. Dec 1, 2010
    If you are an idiot like one who plays black ops. Then you wont like this. If you are a brilliant and open minded person, prepare to be shocked away. This game is just perfect..... (Other than the occasional problem with the puzzle's and bug) NOTE : Made in the 90's SO EXPECT BAD GRAPHICS
    ITS DIRECT X 7!!!! ( not that it matters ) SO DONT GET MAD AT IT FOR I quote "Graphics suck, just look
    at black ops"
    IF YOU WANT GRAPHICS, DONT USE A CONSOLE, AND GET A NICE SETUP WITH FULL DX11 CAPABILLITY TO BLAST CRYSIS 1 AND CRYSIS 2 AWAY ON MAXIMUM!!!!
    That explains the idiots out there that judge games by graphical capabillity.
  22. Jan 6, 2011
    This game, back when I first played it, came to me as a surprise. The depth of the story coupled with length of the game was like reading a novel. Sure, at some points I died so many times it was ridiculous, but that's okay. I played for days before beating it and the ending left me with a smile. Gordon Freeman started nerds on the track of supremacy in combat. Anyways, the gameplay was solid, there were parts that I had to do over because it glitched out on me or I missed something. But all in all, worth a play through while we hold our breath for Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Expand
  23. Jul 26, 2012
    This game will forever be among my personal favorites. Great story and amazing gameplay, the environments and maps are well designed and the sound is great. Had a lot of fun.
  24. Mar 26, 2011
    Great original game which can be bought on steam for a cheap $10! Has awesome graphics for its age, game-play and story and you can even meet some funny and scary people in this game. I recommend this game!
  25. Mar 23, 2012
    I'm kinda mixed up on this game, but I can say one thing: it's a very cured and detailed game. I liked the story, the enemy AI is fantastic and very challenging, and the setting and places are extremely well done: you can see how much time they put into this game. But still...I hated few things. For example, the jumping parts: you can easily lose health by jumping 1 cm more higher than normal (and we talk about 10 hp or more), and so you'll sometimes HAVE TO use ladders or avoid crazy jumps which, in many games, won't harm you. Even if the AI is challenging, some enemies are just far too hard in my opinion and sometimes the game becomes very unbalanced (the soldiers were the hardest m------ers I've ever beaten, while all the other aliens were easier, even the biggest ones). Add also that the explosions are very big, meaning that you can still get hit even if you're far at times (I got hit also when I was hiding behind crates, not too far away, while I shot at some bombs attached to the wall...this still scarred me). And, if I have to be brutal, some parts looked unneccesary and to me they looked like "add ups" instead of real continuation. But still, it's a good game and actually very modern to this day: good puzzles, very detailed settings, interesting story and a well though gameplay: can't say it fails somewhere can I? Expand
  26. Nov 13, 2011
    One word: perfect.
    The next games haven't got the same fantastic story and gameplay!
    Only one impressed me like Half-life and it is Portal (1-2)....i love this games....LOVE!
  27. Jul 5, 2011
    Wow I am bored, Anyhow this game was awesome back in the day, Since times have progressed you might find this game boring(I still enjoy it) but your going to want to know the whole story when the final installment comes out so skip a happy meal buy this(along with Half-Life 2, Ep.1 Ep.2) and get up to speed with the story of Dr. Freeman and his best friend the crowbar before the next installment comes out which will probably make game of the year. Expand
  28. Aug 1, 2011
    This is far away the best shooter from history of games. Everything changes since its was made.

If you like shooters from todays, you got to know this game!

So, i dont need to explain about the great gameplay, grade awsome context, everything was nice.

GOrdon Freeman is the greatest hero of all times and, he dont need do say a word..
  29. Jul 31, 2011
    Such a great game! Half-Life is the game that launched Valve into superstardom and they have good reason! It's got action, suspense, horror, twists, and an ever-changing plot that will leave you speechless. What else can I say? It has all the elements that make a first-person shooter great! I can not recommend this game enough!
  30. Jul 30, 2011
    Surely PC games were made before this, but PC games didn't truly exist until this was made. This is the messiah of PC gaming. This is everything. I have barely even played this, but I can confirm this as true.

1. It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire genre, but Half-Life has done just that.
  2. The storyline runs in perfect harmony with the action and acts as a conduit not a stopgap, or a padding device. Each gaming element compliments the next and the entire presentation is nothing short of, well…dare we say it…revolutionary.
  3. This is The Big One, and it's even better than we could've hoped. [Jan 1999, p.166]