Half-Life PC

9.0

1. Aug 15, 2017
    One of the best games of all time, incredible soundtrack, game design and gameplay. Totally ahead of its time, the best start to one of the most beloved video game series.
  2. Aug 12, 2017
    They're waiting for your Gordon. In the TEST chamberrrr...

They're waiting for your Gordon. In the TEST chamberrrr...

It's Half-Life. An important piece of gaming history that revolutionized a genre. You owe it to yourself to play it if you haven't already. It shows its age in some ways (apart from the obvious, like graphics and sound), mainly because it's been copied endlessly. But its still a blast, and it's still easy to see why it was so highly acclaimed in 1998.

It was Valve's first game though, and even though they struck gold with Half-Life, their inexperience at the time shows through on a couple of chapters. Notably "On A Rail", and of course, most of the Xen chapters. This isn't their magnum opus. No, that came in the form of the sequel to this game.
  3. Aug 7, 2017
    This game is simply perfect. From the story- in which a test lab failure at the fictional Blackmesa Research Facility blows up the facility, leaving the protagonist Gordon Freeman to escape. He must face many challenges, such as marines sent to clean out the place, and kill any survivors. The gameplay is executed extremely well, which likely explains why it has gotten Game of the Year 4This game is simply perfect. From the story- in which a test lab failure at the fictional Blackmesa Research Facility blows up the facility, leaving the protagonist Gordon Freeman to escape. He must face many challenges, such as marines sent to clean out the place, and kill any survivors. The gameplay is executed extremely well, which likely explains why it has gotten Game of the Year 4 times (1998-2002). I don't know what else to say, as the community says it for me. Just an extra check for you; the fan base is very good, and holds up much better than say, the FNAF, Undertale, or Sonic the Hedgehog fandoms. It's a good game indeed, so good it got a patch 19 years after release from Valve. Expand
  4. Jul 26, 2017
    WAY better then HL2 in every way, better shooting, originality, level design and mechanics. My only complaint's the Xen exists but at the time it wasn't THAT bad.
  5. Jun 20, 2017
    This is great for anyone wanting a sci-fi game that is not overrated like Halo or Metroid, And come on, You have to admit the graphics were awesome for a 1998 game! This game is amazing, Enough said. 10/10.
  6. Jun 3, 2017
    Run, Think, Shoot, Live. Half-Life series is my best FPS EVER. Especially Half-Life 1? It never gets old. But if you want to play unofficial modernized Half-Life, Go play Black Mesa. Play Half-Life first, then play Black Mesa. And then, Go play Half-Life 2. EPIC saga begin!...But where is myyyyyy THREEEEEEEEEEE? 3333333?...Plz, VALVE.
  7. May 14, 2017
    Każdy z nas ma swoją grę życia, w moim wypadku jest nią właśnie Half-Life. Gdy zagrałem w nią pierwszy raz, zakochałem się. Sugestywny klimat zaszczucia i walki o przetrwanie, czułem że to ja walczę o wydostanie się z kompleksu Black Mesa. To dzięki Half-Life-owi pierwszy raz posmakowałem gry FPS i to dzięki niemu uwielbiam ten gatunek do dziś. Nie bez powodu gra nazywana jest "graKażdy z nas ma swoją grę życia, w moim wypadku jest nią właśnie Half-Life. Gdy zagrałem w nią pierwszy raz, zakochałem się. Sugestywny klimat zaszczucia i walki o przetrwanie, czułem że to ja walczę o wydostanie się z kompleksu Black Mesa. To dzięki Half-Life-owi pierwszy raz posmakowałem gry FPS i to dzięki niemu uwielbiam ten gatunek do dziś. Nie bez powodu gra nazywana jest "gra wszechczasów".

Polecam.
  8. May 7, 2017
    + nice beginning
    + great graphics for the time
    - way too hard - not impressed - dropped twice - the game is just annoying to play through The beginning is awesome but once the gameplay starts it gets tedious and difficult really fast. I tried to play this game twice, but gave up each time. It just wasn't worth the frustration. Still, I'm giving some points for the great intro
    + nice beginning
    + great graphics for the time
    - way too hard
    - not impressed
    - dropped twice
    - the game is just annoying to play through

Still, I'm giving some points for the great intro section and an awesome tutorial.
  9. Apr 27, 2017
    The game that defined the RPG genre. Great plot development, magnificent level design, immortal gameplay. Half-Life is the past, the present and the future of gaming.
  10. Apr 10, 2017
    Even though its graphics may not have aged to well, it is still one of the most important shooters of all time, and serves to remind us just how terrible games are becoming nowadays.
  11. Mar 27, 2017
    For me, after 19 years, Half-Life is still very playable, nowadays, often underrestimate game, with sadly not astonishing storyline and thrilling gameplay. The game's climate of secret insitution (based on 'Area 64' idea) and underground labs is perfect. I won't be saying anything about graphics since at 1998 it was delightful, however the sound quality could be definitely way better.For me, after 19 years, Half-Life is still very playable, nowadays, often underrestimate game, with sadly not astonishing storyline and thrilling gameplay. The game's climate of secret insitution (based on 'Area 64' idea) and underground labs is perfect. I won't be saying anything about graphics since at 1998 it was delightful, however the sound quality could be definitely way better. Storytelling technique was highly sophisticated since it was told more visually than in text. The game guarantees tons of action and fun. Personaly - as my favourite one - I find it the best in the series.

Quick summary:
    +perfect climate of secret institution and labs situated underground
    +very good graphics (to the standards of '98)
    +good storytelling technique
    +dynamic, full of action gameplay based on shooting creatures

-sound quality
    -despite that it got old quite good, it is still the game from previous generation
    -not astonishing story
  12. Mar 21, 2017
    This is one of my all time favorite games,
    this game stays strong, I play and finish it at least once every 2 years,
    the classic one, its a great game, and to be fair even the graphics although very old, still hold up someone!
    its not that ugly that it hurts your eye is what i mean!
    best game every! give us HL3 valve!! plz!
  13. Mar 15, 2017
    An example of what a game should look like. Many developers have learned from this Half Life and apply their schemes today.
    Widely recommended, and with a guideline of ten.
  14. Mar 1, 2017
    Отвратительно.

В то время как на пс выходили шедевры типо файнал фэнтези7 и метал гира, на пекарне выходило вот такое. Игрой это назвать не могу, поэтому и оценку давать не буду. Один из самых убогих и переоцененных проектов за все игровую индустрию. п.с в 1998(в то же время что и первая халфа) вышла игры Shogo мобил армор девижн, вот она действительно охуетительная, в ней есть и
    Отвратительно.

п.с в 1998(в то же время что и первая халфа) вышла игры Shogo мобил армор девижн, вот она действительно охуетительная, в ней есть и красивая графика и разнообразный геймплей и крутая стрельба, куча пасхалок, юмор, классный сюжет.
  15. Feb 20, 2017
    The best game ever created this game made my childhood thanks to valve and without forgetting its expansions that were also good game 100% recommended
  16. Feb 13, 2017
    Ademas de ser un juego de culto que marco un antes y un despues en los videojuegos, Half Life es un videjuego con una historia atrapante y que al dia de hoy se sigue jugando muchisimo.
    Graficos: 8/10 (Basados en los de la epoca)
    Jugabilidad/Mecanicas: 9/10
    Dificultad: 10/10
    Banda sonora/Sonidos 10/10
    IA: 8/10

Calificacion final: 9/10
    PD: Jugarlo si o si: Juego de culto.
  17. Dec 29, 2016
    Played this game when I was about 5 years old. Took me a while to beat it. I couldn't figure it out without looking up the answers towards the final levels. I'm a little slow. Great game though. The engine gave me many hours of fun through free mods, the Gearbox concurrent releases (which aren't canon) and multiplayer in the former and latter.
  18. Oct 19, 2016
    I have played it again in December 2015 for two reasons: test my brand new Steam controller with a game created for mouse and keyboard, and see how it runs on Linux. Both things were extremely pleasant. And maybe surprisingly, the game didn't get as old as I would have supposed.
    Yes, the graphics is definitely vintage, but the gameplay is not: I'm not sure if there is some lack of ideas to evolve the genre, or it's just that Valve created such masterpiece that's hard to get anything better.

Anyway, it should get played by any PC gamer, at least as part of your gaming cultural experience.
  19. Oct 18, 2016
    The second best game ever made (The first is being Half-Life 2.). A masterpiece. A revelationary for it's time. Old but gold. Do I need to say more???
  20. Oct 14, 2016
    There is nothing to say. Every time when new Valve title is published - it is a new word in game development. Every game contains unique game mechanic, graphic, interesting story. When I see that the new Vale game is published I know - the industry today increments its life cycle.
  21. Oct 11, 2016
    One of the best games, if not the best game I ever played, great AI for its time, takes you into a new world, the story is so deep that 4 games did not even get close into finishing it
    This game is what games should be, perfect in every way, almost 20 years and this game is still playable.
  22. Oct 1, 2016
    There is a 150 character minimum for reviews. If your review contains spoilers, please check the Spoiler box. Please do not use ALL CAPS. There is no linking or other HTML allowed. Your review may be edited for content.
  23. Aug 13, 2016
    This game is great,but not as great as it's made out to be.The first thing that I should get out of the way is that the visuals haven't aged very well but that shouldn't be that much of an issue.The presentation,besides the graphics,is also outstanding.It's a game that never switches to cutscenes and is constantly in first-person perspective allowing you to stay immersed at all times(IThis game is great,but not as great as it's made out to be.The first thing that I should get out of the way is that the visuals haven't aged very well but that shouldn't be that much of an issue.The presentation,besides the graphics,is also outstanding.It's a game that never switches to cutscenes and is constantly in first-person perspective allowing you to stay immersed at all times(I felt like I had to wash my hands after the sewer level.That speaks volumes.).The sound design is great,but the voice acting is pretty cheesy by today's standards.The shooting,on the other hand,has aged very well.It has a kind of an auto locking system which slows down your cross-hairs whenever you place them over an enemy,allowing you to shoot much more comfortably.That shooting system goes hand in hand with the game's great weapon variety.There is a weapon for every situation and it's always up to you to figure out which one it is.The levels are also very varied too;not at a single point did it feel repetitive.By the end of the game you'll be encountering mostly the same enemies,but the varied environments will make it feel completely different.As for the story,while not very complicated,it's still functional due to the game's narrative.The story's most standout feature is the use of the G-man.I don't want to spoil anything about him,just play the game and you'll see.There are two bad things I can say about this game:the controls feel kinda slippery,making the early platforming segments infuriating(though,the later ones are okay),and the final boss is not fun to fight at all.But still,the game is more than recommendable,and I guarantee you'll enjoy it Expand
  24. Aug 6, 2016
    The game that made the best gaming company in the world. This classic redefined a genre, and in fact an entire industry. Although its rather dated now, go ahead and give this game a play. Its an essential piece to the gaming world we know today. The Mario of first person shooters.
  25. Jul 25, 2016
    Un clásico, buena jugabilidad, super divertido, buena historia, buena atmósfera, increíble para la época que salio. El padre de muchos FPS de hoy en día... Un juego que todos deberían jugar.
  26. Jul 24, 2016
    One of the best games in the world!No words just one of best shooter of the world! 10 out of 10 10 out of 10 10 out of 10 10 out of 10.This is end!!!!
  27. Jul 22, 2016
    A game that arouses my passion for chemistry. The first time I played I was not bored for a second. An original and incredible argument that I do not seem to go very far from reality. They tell us that it could happen any day in the 51 area (Black Mesa in game).
  28. Jul 19, 2016
  29. Jun 18, 2016
    An absolute amazing, breath taking adventure game ever made. Half-Life has amazing environments, awesome weapons, crazy enemies, and incredibly smart A.I. Each sequel just continues to build onto the mysterious story Half-Life has to offer. A must own and must play for all those Valve fans and adventure seekers out there! Half-Life is like Citizen Kane of video games!
  30. Jun 16, 2016
    This was an amazing game............almost two decades ago. Don't expect so much from this game, as it can't really be compared to modern games. It's was revolutionary a long time ago and it set the standard for the fps games for a long time, but in this day and age it is nothing more than a decent game that didn't age very well.....
  31. Jun 11, 2016
    I started playing HL when i was a kid. After those years i'm still playing that awesome story-driven adventure FPS.Well the graphics are outdated after 18 years but hey you can download and play the HL Sourse version.
  32. Jun 5, 2016
    THIS game has Extraordinary Graphics,Very Beautiful Gameplay,Movie like Sequences, and Awesome Sound! I hope people who play this game will last a life time in there hearts because this game still ROCKs all others ever made for the PC Valve i love your Work! please keep kickin ass on the best game series you have made in the Years and in the years to come?
  33. May 28, 2016
    Easily one of the best games ever made. An instant classic. A masterpiece of sci-fi storytelling and FPS adventure. I played this game over a decade after it was released and I still enjoyed it more than many of the modern games I had been playing. So incredibly gripping, engaging, and exciting. Pick this up during Steam's summer sale and you'll have purchased one of the best deals in PC gaming.
  34. May 22, 2016
    Clasico de Valve .En el que Ocupamos el Lugar Del cientifico de black mesa Gordon Freeman.
    Half-Life narra las aventuras de Gordon Freeman, un investigador del Laboratorio de Materiales Anómalos del Centro de Investigación Black Mesa, un enorme complejo científico subterráneo y ultra secreto instalado en una base militar en desuso emplazada en el desierto de Nuevo México.
    A Favor:

A Favor:
    -Contamos con una muy buena Historia.
    -Buenas Armas.
    -Buena Ambientacion /Buenos Mapas.
    -IA enemigo Decente
    -Excelente Optimizacion.

En contra:
    -La IA de Tus amigos (Mililtares,Cientificos,Guardias) es bastante mala ya que se quedan atorados la mayoria de la veces
    -Contiene Algunos Bugs por ejemplo el bug del ascensor en power up.

Puntuacion
  35. May 21, 2016
    I had hard time moving Gordon Freeman, it's senseless to try to count how many times I've quick loaded due to poor mechanics, it often got me into rage mood which i'm of course not proud of, it's a game from 98' after all. But there are also things worth to mention like shooting feeling, interesting plot, scary moments (excluding those cheap jump-scares), though there were places where II had hard time moving Gordon Freeman, it's senseless to try to count how many times I've quick loaded due to poor mechanics, it often got me into rage mood which i'm of course not proud of, it's a game from 98' after all. But there are also things worth to mention like shooting feeling, interesting plot, scary moments (excluding those cheap jump-scares), though there were places where I got stuck (literally and figuratively). To sum up, it'd be wise to say Half Life 1 is decent game but Valve did enormous progress in the second part. Expand
  36. Mar 15, 2016
    This game is absolutely garbage. It stole the gameplay from TF2 and CSGO. The graphics look like dog feces. The story doesnt even exist since the writers were so lazy. This game isn't even worth 10 dollars, and it should pay you to play this. Absolutely worst game on steam, and the people that defend this game are mentally challenged fanboys.
  37. Feb 5, 2016
    Valves Masterpiece. Instant classic.

And game that you can actually call an quality game. It offers long playtime. Developers who commit themselves making single player first person shooter experiences, then Half Life is an prime example how its done.
  38. Dec 23, 2015
    The most influential game of the FPS genre. And also the most overrated. Yeah this game is not as good as you may think. It's still pretty good but not worthy of a 10/10 score. So on with the review then.

Pros: - Something that you'll notice is that many of these old school games have tremendous atmosphere. And Half life is no exception. Everything from the laboratories, the outside

Pros:
    - Something that you'll notice is that many of these old school games have tremendous atmosphere. And Half life is no exception. Everything from the laboratories, the outside and the alien world all have amazing atmosphere to them.
    -The story. Everybody said how this game revolutionized storytelling in video games and they couldn't be more right. For once it wasn't about killing everybody in sight and finding a key to unlock a door. This time you had to do some puzzles in order to uncover the exit and not everything was that simple. But sadly for all the good things this game has, there are some little flaws that keep me from fully enjoying it.

Cons:
    - My biggest issue with Half life is that it just doesn't know what the **** it wants to be! For the first couple hours it plays a lot like a survival horror game with very little ammo being given to you and some very decent jumpscares. But in the second half the game takes a Quake road with soldiers, rocket launchers and gigantic helicopter battles. It's like we went from subtle horror to just balls out action in just a couple of hours. Now there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a little confusing
    - And finally my biggest issue is the flawed combat. Now don't get me wrong the game has decent combat, but it's not perfect. Being a game from the late 90's it suffers the same problem like games like SIn and Soldier of Fortune suffered in that the hit detection isn't good but it's tolerable. But tolerable isn't enough for a 10/10 score.

So there you go. This game in my opinion is very overrated but is it good.... yes. Does it deserve to be in the top 100 best games of all time.... yes just probably in the top 50 instead of the top 10 for me.
  39. Dec 14, 2015
    At the time this game was released, it was revolutionary. Many scripted character which would talk to you, follow you, open doors and help fight enemies. That was unseen before. The levels themselves are well designed yet somewhat too linear, like in all shooter games. The graphics were excellent for the time. If you try playing it today, you may not really enjoy it, as the genre hasAt the time this game was released, it was revolutionary. Many scripted character which would talk to you, follow you, open doors and help fight enemies. That was unseen before. The levels themselves are well designed yet somewhat too linear, like in all shooter games. The graphics were excellent for the time. If you try playing it today, you may not really enjoy it, as the genre has advanced far ahead. Expand
  40. Dec 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Run, Think, Shoot, Live. This is still one of the greatest games i played. As the modding community for Half-Life is still very active, that made Half-Life whole. Story plot is awesome and all but, sometimes puzzles are too hard and can lead you to nowhere. But hey! That doesn't mean that the game is not cool! Expand
  41. Dec 1, 2015
    One of those games I played due to the good old demo disc. This game blew my mind when I was younger and I still love it today. The atmosphere is great and the combat feels amazing. The only downside is that Half Life 3 still hasn't been made for the newer gaming audience to enjoy.
  42. Nov 22, 2015
    So after Duke Nukem 3D and Quake, and parallel to Unreal this thing comes out. Wow! Were we ever prepared for the impact? NO! :D Half Life blew my mind. U can do THAT in games? No waaaay man! It was a revolutionary period for games in general, but Half Life is around the top of the pyramid in my book :) so much fun with this one!
  43. Nov 22, 2015
    A masterpiece by Valve. One of the best game game I've ever played. Story line of the game is great, way more better than those games with beautiful graphic but terrible story line. And now i am still waiting for Half-life 3
  44. Nov 10, 2015
    Proof that some older titles still hold up today, good visuals, good engine, and great gameplay, a great launch for Valve back in '96. I defiantly recommend it and the expansions, it's worth the buy on Steam.
  45. Oct 2, 2015
    This game has the best writing, best story, best characters, best gameplay, most fun I had since any game of all time! It deserves game of the year of 1998! The characters are very interesting and its fully original as **** Buy it full price now!!!!!!! FOR LORD GABEN SAKE!!!!
  46. Aug 5, 2015
    This is the best game in my opinion, the story is very original and the gameplay is fun and has lots of action. Balanced enemies and wide variety of weapons. It also had great graphics for it's time. 10/10 17 years old and still better than call of duty.
  47. Aug 3, 2015
    It's 2015 and I'm here reviewing half-life. To think that this was a game in 1998, but in my recent play through I just had an absolute blast. It was a very unique game and with the challenge hard difficulty has I felt very immersed in getting from one place to the next. The physics at the time were outstanding and even being an OoT homer, this game was the best 1998 had to offer.
  48. Jul 15, 2015
    A game to remember. As you play this, you feel immersed in its gripping storyline. It blends the fast-paced action from DOOM with a chilling and monumental storyline, like from a Stephen King novel. Any and every gamer needs to own or at least play this masterpiece.
  49. Jun 13, 2015
    One of the greatest First Person Shooters ever made.Just loses to his sequel,Half Life 2.Good history,great level design and fun challenge.Still fun to play even today.
  50. May 23, 2015
    While it was a bit revolutionary in its times with more variety and puzzles, it lacks in one key element: satisfaction from using weapons. Some enemies, while being human are bullet sponges. Sometimes you spend a minute or two blasting one mutant in face until it falls.
  51. May 18, 2015
  52. Apr 14, 2015
    best damn game valve gameplay good story fantastic characters charismatic your ass people who hate this fantastic game and some people do not know the afff franchise
  53. Apr 4, 2015
    The brilliant story that half life had, was first starting off as being gorden Freeman, coming to work late, he walks down to hope into his HEV suit that he will wear to fight alien and kill soldiers. it's time to choose!
  54. Mar 31, 2015
    Best plot ever! A revolution in game industry. One can play this game forever. It gave birth to Counter-Strike and both projects live till now and will live very long. Worth to be in collection.
  55. Jub
    Mar 2, 2015
    One of my select few 10/10 games. Gameplay, music, level design, and story are all great.

Admittedly I haven't played it in some years now but I'd wager that it's still playable even today, something that can't be said about most old games.
  56. Feb 24, 2015
    Immersive story, spooky atmosphere and graphics that is beautiful even 17 years after the game was first released - these features make Half-Life one of greatest FPS games ever made.

It features very satisfying gameplay with lots of diverse weapons to choose and various aliens and humans to defeat.

Fantastic achievement by Valve!
  57. Feb 23, 2015
    HλLF-LIFE Review

Year Of Release: 1998 Date Of Release: November 8 Introduction-When Half-Life was released in late 1998 it shocked the world, and it changed first person shooters forever. No other FPS game at the time had a decent enough story, proper voice acting and a realistic atmosphere but Half-Life did that and it became a game that would still be played to this day and was
    HλLF-LIFE Review

Year Of Release: 1998
    Date Of Release: November 8

Introduction-When Half-Life was released in late 1998 it shocked the world, and it changed first person shooters forever. No other FPS game at the time had a decent enough story, proper voice acting and a realistic atmosphere but Half-Life did that and it became a game that would still be played to this day and was so successful it sprung a sequel. Half Life really is a brilliant game, not in its ageing graphics, not in its poor voice acting but how good it is gameplay wise.

Plot Summary: You are a scientist called Gordon Freeman you work at a top secret facility called Black Mesa Research Facility. Today you have a special experiment. You enter the test chamber, As you place the specimen into the scanning beam it all goes wrong. Aliens start teleporting all over the facility and kill anything they see Gordon takes matters into his own hands, for his own survival.

Gameplay: You have a range of weapons under you disposal all the weapons in Half-Life have a good use, unlike most FPS games. There are plenty of clever puzzles which most FPS games lacked, even now FPS games don't have proper puzzles. A useful addition is the duck jump which is used well in Half-Life. These additions were very welcoming considering the usual find a key next door and then the next door to the exit. But this was a more realistic approach.

Switching a fire chamber on to burn a giant monster, turning on a generator to electrocute a big alien this is the kind of thing FPS was hungry for and Half-Life proved that adding these environments and goals would make a realistic, puzzling atmosphere.

Music: There is not much of a musical score in Half-Life in fact there is not theme song. But when you do hear a song in game, its tense or a fast paced action song.

AI: The AI was perfect for the day and there still hold up good today but the AI really was clever in Half-Life which most FPS lacked back in the day.

Conclusion should I buy it or not?

The answer is obviously yes! Without a doubt Half-Life is truly a fantastic game. Its a must have! You will have a very nostalgic and fulfilling adventure you have ever had from a FPS game. Its a great classic that still holds up today it has everything a FPS needs you will not be disappointed.I rate it a solid...

58. Feb 3, 2015
    This is among one of the best shooters ever made. It has a deep single-player story driven experience where you take the role of Gorden Freeman, crowbar wielding scientist turned alien hunter. This game is a classic and it spawned some of the best game mods ever seen, including Counter-Strike.
  59. Jan 28, 2015
    "When I first saw the trailer for this, I saw that it had good graphics. When I bought it only played it for like the first stage before realising how terrible the graphics are. I don't care how long ago this game was made, graphics matter more than anything in a game."
    I couldn't possibly disagree more with you!
  60. Jan 23, 2015
    this game is beautifull, one of the best games ever made great story. All is amazing 10/10 100/100 this game is for pro players (Best game ever). i love half life
  61. Jan 1, 2015
    A solid 10.0 for me.It has one of the best storylines ever with the most badass protagonist ever Gordon Freeman. An experiment goes wrong, its to do with an alien world.which leaves you asking for answers,who?why?how?Its graphics still are acceptable today, gameplay is still as good as ever and it has a brilliant atmosphere and I have never had such a good gaming experience in my life.
  62. Dec 28, 2014
    This game released in 1998 and I'm still playing it instead of boring ordinary games with fancy graphics. Half Life gives you pure fps experience better than any game.
  63. Dec 9, 2014
    I wish I could give this game an 11. So, yeah, my favorite game of all time. This is gonna take a while... from where do I start? I guess I'll start from the bottom and work my way up to what I enjoy most in the game.

Graphics: They were pretty amazing at the time. Even the Source engine (the follow-up of the GoldSrc engine, a heavily modified Quake engine) is struggling to hold up

Graphics:
    They were pretty amazing at the time. Even the Source engine (the follow-up of the GoldSrc engine, a heavily modified Quake engine) is struggling to hold up today. But for 1998 standards... there weren't many truly 3D FPSs games. And Half Life had high quality textures, polygonal models... and the NPCs moved their mouths when they were talking. Even in Max Payne 2 (from 2003) some characters didn't move their mouths.

Of course, Half Life did not age well in the graphics department, but you gotta give it a break. If you compare it with other games at the time (Quake 2, for example), Half Life looks gorgeous.

Audio:
    The voice acting is nice for the time. It could have been better, though -there are only 3 voice actors in the game from what I recall, but the voices are memorable. The monsters, the guns and other sounds don't disappoint also.

The soundtrack has some memorable themes, but it is too scarce. There are some great action or exploration moments that could use some background track, but it will only play in a few (very few) moments.

Gameplay:
    The action was fast paced and easy for anyone to try it, but the game didn't babysit you. The AI of the enemies was really good, and, actually, I think it holds up even for today standards. The marines you fight aren't brain-dead like many of the enemies of modern shooters. They actually fall back and heal themselves. Sometimes they act really stupid, but most of the time they provide a challenge.

The game also had a great pacing, with fast gunplay moments, small fights and exploration parts. And they all feel connected so organically that it's something I still haven't seen in any other game.

But what really sets the game apart from me are two things: the storytelling and the level design.

Story:
    Actually, the story is pretty dumb. You're Gordon Freeman, a scientist that kicks alien ass. Hell yeah. But, seriously, there's nothing more to it. What is amazing is that the game doesn't take control of the camera at any time. Since you start up the campaign, you see everything by the protagonist's eye. And each room tells you a story. It's subtle, but every corner has something to add to the story if you look carefully and try to interpret what is being shown. It's nothing so much amazing, but it's awesome by the way that this is achieved.

Level design:
    I don't even know what to say. The level design contributes to the storytelling, bringing the universe of the Black Mesa Research Facility alive. But it doesn't sacrifice the gameplay. In fact, it makes the whole experience more enjoyable, because each level has its own motif going on, and each one is focused in one type of gameplay. Some levels are more action packed, others have more puzzles. But they don't feel disjointed at any time. Only the last levels are kind of a bore, but they're not necessarilly bad. They just don't hold up to the other levels.

So, yeah, I talked too much and I didn't even scrape the surface of what I wanted to talk. But you should at least take a look at the game. It deserves it, as the "uncle" of modern titles. And if you never played the original and think that it's too old, take a look at the free mod called Black Mesa, that is a remake of the original game. It's amazing too. So, yeah, Half Life... give it a try when you can, really.
  64. Nov 4, 2014
    One of the best games ever made, and it started the best game franchise ever made.
    ...................................................................
  65. Oct 30, 2014
    That's a good story for an FPS game. I did not expect a game from 99's, so catch me hard and keep me stuck to computer several hours. That's a good game. Good for Valve.
  66. Oct 14, 2014
    This is the second-greatest game of all time, just slipping shy of it's successor Half-Life 2.

Despite being dated (1998) the graphics are amazing for their time, and despite the textures on the original not being high-resolution, the game still scales to 1080p perfectly and remains crisp and sharp. Although the textures themselves are obviously dated, the atmosphere that the team have created for Half-Life is wonderful. The into cinematic scene is still possibly the best introductory sequence of any game ever to date. It draws you into the world that is Half-Life, and you feel right at home from the start. The characters speak with you, address you by name, involve you in conversations among themselves, and even those who are not needed for the game to proceed will acknowledge you; something even most modern titles fail to do. The story-telling is excellent, moving transitionally from chapter to chapter without the need for annoying cut-scenes or sequences or flashbacks. Because of this, you're truly immersed in the gameplay since you are never distracted or removed from the first-person view at any time. The dialogue is incredible, the story is immaculate, and the gameplay is fantastic. The puzzles, enemies, friends and allies, and sound effects, the charm; this game set the bar for almost every first person shooter. The only thing which makes this game sub-par to Half-Life 2 is two minor things; the graphical limitations (which I know is unfair, since we are comparing a 6-year technology gap) and the controls. The control system itself is fine, but the movement can at times be notoriously difficult as there is no option to move slowly. Also, targeting small enemies can be difficult with firearms weapons at times. These are so minor, that it is not enough to shave a mark off the final score, as this game is near-on perfect. You NEED to play this game, and if you haven't already, you need to play Half-Life 2 after playing this. Best two games in the world.
  67. Oct 9, 2014
    I liked this one, but Half Life 2 blew my mind. The storytelling is quite good here, the maps are very well edited. The graphics looks dated today but overall it's quite OK. A very innovative and enjoyable FPS, one of the most obvious classics of the genre
  68. Oct 4, 2014
    Game: Half-Life
    Genre: FPS/Horror
    Developer: Valve System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 77/100 Value Score: 7.7/10 • Story: 7/10 • Characters: 7/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 8/10 • Music: 7/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 6/10 • Player Value: 7/10 Pros +Great environment design and theme +Great Variety of weapons and the mechanics are nicely done
    Game: Half-Life

• Music: 7/10
    • Length: 7/10
    • Replay Value: 6/10
    • Player Value: 7/10

Pros
    +Great environment design and theme
    +Great Variety of weapons and the mechanics are nicely done
    +Well designed puzzles and scenarios
    +Console mode enabled lets you play the game differently than it should (i.e. NoClip, Godmode, etc)
    +Multiplayer allows you to do PvP type matches against other players
    +Choice of 3 different difficulties

Cons
    -Sometimes certain NPCs that killed make it inaccessible to certain areas unless you use cheats
    -The game tends to be glitchy at times such as enemies going through walls, etc (very rare though)
    -This is the original - the source edition is considered to be the superior version due to some changes such as the engine, the sound effects, etc.
  69. Sep 29, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic game, great game play and an amazing story. This game leaves everything to you, instead of using a bunch of nonsense cut-scene to tell the story, you actually have to interact with the NPCs to understand the story. I can promise you that the game will not ever get boring because you are constantly introduced to new concepts. Unfortunately it is an old game and youAn absolutely fantastic game, great game play and an amazing story. This game leaves everything to you, instead of using a bunch of nonsense cut-scene to tell the story, you actually have to interact with the NPCs to understand the story. I can promise you that the game will not ever get boring because you are constantly introduced to new concepts. Unfortunately it is an old game and you modern "gamers" will just complain all day long about the graphics and how it is way harder and take way more skills than your new "games", its OK you just have a primitive brain. Expand
  70. Sep 20, 2014
    A true gaming classic that should be played by everyone. The story (like half life 2's) is great, the gameplay is always exciting and fun. This is a must own.
  71. Sep 11, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece that can be considered the best of all time. Nothing can even come close to the impact that this game made for the entire world. This single handily created the modern FPS genre. Sure Doom and Duke Nukem 3D were good, but Half Life made it a story, not a mindless shooting frenzy. If you are looking for that, then this game will be semi unpleasing for you. If youThis game is a masterpiece that can be considered the best of all time. Nothing can even come close to the impact that this game made for the entire world. This single handily created the modern FPS genre. Sure Doom and Duke Nukem 3D were good, but Half Life made it a story, not a mindless shooting frenzy. If you are looking for that, then this game will be semi unpleasing for you. If you are looking for a great game with a great story line and combat, then this game will satisfy your needs easily. Expand
  72. Aug 11, 2014
    I feel really proud for playing this masterpiece when it first came out. I still remember I had a debate with a friend of mine and PS1 owner back at the day. He was claiming that PC graphics cant surpass console graphics. So, I invited him to my home and showed him HL1. He was freaking shocked and speechless and at first thought that the intro with the train was a FMV, until I moved theI feel really proud for playing this masterpiece when it first came out. I still remember I had a debate with a friend of mine and PS1 owner back at the day. He was claiming that PC graphics cant surpass console graphics. So, I invited him to my home and showed him HL1. He was freaking shocked and speechless and at first thought that the intro with the train was a FMV, until I moved the mouse... One year later he bought a PC Expand
  73. Aug 5, 2014
    After 16 years, until this day, I still don't remember what was all that hype about and the funny thing is that the same hype train continued with Half-Life 2. Don't get me wrong, both games are a good solid FPS games, I liked them and enjoyed both, but they never took my breath away, they just never got me or gave me something to value them so highly, I never understood their massiveAfter 16 years, until this day, I still don't remember what was all that hype about and the funny thing is that the same hype train continued with Half-Life 2. Don't get me wrong, both games are a good solid FPS games, I liked them and enjoyed both, but they never took my breath away, they just never got me or gave me something to value them so highly, I never understood their massive appeal and I feel there are much much better titles in this category out there. Maybe I'm just immune to that supposed positive Valve vibe everyone else seems to get, I never even liked Steam, so it's pretty possible. 7/10 Expand
  74. Jun 22, 2014
    Half-Life 1 is still what we thought it was: the best game of the century. Nothing may surpass the ingenuity, the genius of VALVe while making that game. The gameplay is revolutionary, the map design is wonderful, the split between puzzle and fight is excellent to ensure a comfortable playthrough.
    There is no way you may think this is a FPS; this is the ancestor of modern ones. Doom unraveled a new genre, Half-Life perfected it.
    It made it.

This is art, in all of its forms. I can't simply say else.
  75. Jun 10, 2014
    Fue uno de los primeros videojuegos que en vez de bloquear las escenas para situar la historias las hacía parte del juego, además generó un standart dentro de los FPS que ha continuado hasta la fecha. No ha envejecido muy bien pero con Black Mesa ha mejorado.
  76. Jun 5, 2014
    Remember back when FPS games were like this? No iron-sights. No objective markers. No endless streams of "terrorists" running at you with their non existent AI? They were good times.

Half-Life was the most impressive game of it's time and really dropped you into the thick of it. Starting with the moment you step on the tram to head to your lab, to the cataclysmic events that unfold not 30 minutes later, you're there. It's not narrated to you or written on loading screens. Along the way, your colleagues guide you and keep you up to date with the current events. Black Mesa had a real sense of place that you could really sink your teeth into. To top it all off, it fully open source with the tools immediately available for you to get into the thick of it and make your own story?

People still develop mods for this game today, 15 years later, meaning that the play time is practically limitless.

Half-Life was and is to this day a groundbreaking game and its greatness is challenged only by it's sequel.
  77. Apr 26, 2014
    this game revolutionized and shaped so much of modern gaming its hard to fathom it. it deserves nothing lower than a perfect score. its dated and a bit derpy now, of course (it came out in 98!) so if youre playing it for the first time now, take it in context of when it was released.
  78. Apr 22, 2014
    What Half-Life does well is tell a story through action
    HL has no cutscenes because cutscenes are the opposite of action, they are inaction because it takes control away from the player.
    One of the key features of a "Rail Shooter", go from point a to point b with few diversions & no backtracking. Rail Shooter as in like a train, you always keep moving. Valve knows that backtracking
    What Half-Life does well is tell a story through action

Rail Shooter as in like a train, you always keep moving.
    Valve knows that backtracking gets frustrating faster than anything else, and is the most artificial way to enhance difficulty (hell increasing the damage the player takes is a better way if only marginally).
    Valve is also fond of vent crawling and puzzles which I've never seen much appeal in apart from the initial novelty of vent crawling.

Apart from being very moddable and userfriendly,
    Half-Life also does something incredibly well that has helped modders improve their own skills, and thats level design. Each place in the game looks hand crafted. No copy and pasting of sections or randomization here! It also knows how to be challenging without throwing tons of enemies at you, and thats with good enemy placement as well as knowing when to give the player rewards (weapon/ammo/health placement).

Its a game designer's poster child, thats what it is.
  79. Apr 16, 2014
    Half Life is one of the best FPS in all of history. Half-Life made in 1999 BEATS some games made in 2013 (COD) there is actually an interesting story line. Gordon Freeman a theoretical physicist that knows how to shoot zombies with a shotgun take that rednecks your not the only one. The map design, level design, and weapon design is OUTSTANDING. (Love the spaz-12) this the first and maybeHalf Life is one of the best FPS in all of history. Half-Life made in 1999 BEATS some games made in 2013 (COD) there is actually an interesting story line. Gordon Freeman a theoretical physicist that knows how to shoot zombies with a shotgun take that rednecks your not the only one. The map design, level design, and weapon design is OUTSTANDING. (Love the spaz-12) this the first and maybe the best game valve has made. Yes graphics are outdated and yes AI are a bit clumsy and walk in linear ways at times but you can look over that and still IT WAS MADE IN 1999 and if you want an updated version get black mesa source - that's for the pusses who care so much about graphics. Overall this is a GREAT fps and I would play this game before you die great job valve I give this a 97/100 Expand
  80. Apr 16, 2014
    The people that made this must have genius level IQs. Absolutely mind blowing. Whenever I go back to it, I realize how much every other FPS before and after sucks in comparison (yes, even the original "Deus Ex" and "Human Revolution" missed notes that this game constantly nails on the head).

Not only is it an amazing single-player title, we got some game-changing multiplayer mods out of it as well (Counter-Strike, TFC [which was a *much* improved version of the Quake TF], Natural Selection, Science & Industry) that were absolutely *free*. Guys setting up servers in their basement and players getting pings better than you can get in CoD or any other console multiplayer title. Those were the days. People who got into gaming after all this have no idea what they missed. Kind of like getting into "The Beatles" *after* the hippie movement. Still a great band, but the music doesn't have anywhere *near* the same impact it would've if you were there when it was happening.
  81. Apr 16, 2014
    One of the few gme sthat have set a standard for future games is the best FPS ever no doubt better than most games 2k14 too. Balanced weapons, even better than the other Half-Life games.....
  82. Mar 26, 2014
    Up to this day, there hasn't been a game that would drop my jaw lower. Every single part about this game was and is enjoyable, from the great gameplay all the way to the story or the music, which beautifully enhances the atmosphere of all the locations you have a chance to visit. A 10/10 must, one of the best gaming experience you can find even today.
  83. Mar 16, 2014
    Perfeito, nada a declarar.
    Toda a imersão, a historia que é contada de uma forma magnifica, você se sente na pele de gordon, ate porque ele não fala, isso ajuda, partes tensas, terror, ação, coisas loucas, magnifico ate o final.
  84. Mar 7, 2014
  85. Mar 2, 2014
    Okay, so it's 1998. A new game is on the shelves under the name of Half Life, from a new Valve company. You pick it up, buy it, then load it up. You find yourself at a computer playing a game where you are on a train going through a facility. Then just as you start a test.... BAM. Everything goes wrong. Now you are Gordon Freeman, a theoretical scientist escaping the ruins of Black Mesa.Okay, so it's 1998. A new game is on the shelves under the name of Half Life, from a new Valve company. You pick it up, buy it, then load it up. You find yourself at a computer playing a game where you are on a train going through a facility. Then just as you start a test.... BAM. Everything goes wrong. Now you are Gordon Freeman, a theoretical scientist escaping the ruins of Black Mesa.

Would like to note that the game is a little glitchy, but remember it's 1998 ;)
    Great game. WPOAOAOASOSOSF.

(Would Play Over And Over And Over And So On So Forth)
  86. Mar 1, 2014
    One day I was bored and thought I should play this game. It was so phenomenal I'm a fan now!
    I think the best thing about it is the storytelling: You can experience the world of half-life without a cut scene and your character doesn't speak which means you can make your own thoughts. The atmosphere is also very well done and the multiplayer mode has a lot to offer.
    This game was also
    This game was also revolutionary for the FPS!
  87. Feb 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game that started the beautiful series of Half-Life. This game is a true treasure of it's period. For a game released in 1998, it was almost Next Generation. If you every say this game was bad, you obviously don't have a good taste for games. I suggest you buy the the Half-Life complete pack and play the entire series.
    IN A NUTSHELL: Follow the adventures of Gordon Freeman as he escapes the Black Mesa Research Facility in New Mexico. During the path you will encounter 3 armed aliens, acid spitting bulls, barnacles, and heavily armed soldiers.
  88. Feb 16, 2014
    This is classic I love it, I played it for 18 hours for my first play through and now I'm on my second and I am now 3 more hours in. It is still amazing, it has definitely stood the test of time.
  89. Jan 31, 2014
    This game is what set it all in motion for me, it changed how gaming in the FPS world is done today. I have yet to find a game that even comes close to how much fun I had with Half Life. Not only was the story line engaging and the graphics (for the time) awesome, but it opened up a whole new style of gaming with it's ability to make mods such as TFC. TFC is a completely differentThis game is what set it all in motion for me, it changed how gaming in the FPS world is done today. I have yet to find a game that even comes close to how much fun I had with Half Life. Not only was the story line engaging and the graphics (for the time) awesome, but it opened up a whole new style of gaming with it's ability to make mods such as TFC. TFC is a completely different experience by its own merit, but none of what we have today would be possible without the utter glory that is Half Life. This is a classic and a legend! Expand
  90. Jan 29, 2014
    I started playing HL in deathmatches with friends when it first came out. Then my system at the time could barely handle it. Now, some 10 year later and a new laptop that is 16 times more powerful than my previous system. I have found it a new and love it.
  91. Jan 24, 2014
    This game is a work of art. Playing through the amazing story of the Black Mesa breakdown and surviving the horrors within is amazing. For 1998, the gameplay mechanics and over all game was and still is revolutionary. As far as being and FPS, this game is not your typical "Hide, Shoot, Run", it requires thinking and patients, which is rare for an FPS, and still brings action. One of theThis game is a work of art. Playing through the amazing story of the Black Mesa breakdown and surviving the horrors within is amazing. For 1998, the gameplay mechanics and over all game was and still is revolutionary. As far as being and FPS, this game is not your typical "Hide, Shoot, Run", it requires thinking and patients, which is rare for an FPS, and still brings action. One of the greatest games in history. I recommend for anyone who loves video games. Expand
  92. Jan 21, 2014
    This stands as one of my favorite games of all time. It is enthralling as well as challenging. There were a few parts that were really difficult to figure out the puzzle, but once you got it you felt instant gratification. It has a very unique way of telling a story, and if you're not careful you could miss it. Overall I will remember this game with a lot of fond memories.
  93. Jan 10, 2014
    I think this game is a best game ever because has a beautiful story enjoyable gameplay and epic graphics
    this great game is VALVe's debut game and like all VALVe games it's epic
  94. Jan 1, 2014
    An old classic. A good storyline (but not a patch on its even better sequel) but it's a classic "for its time". Best game of 1998, sure. But unlike some games it's not survived the test of time as well.
  95. Dec 27, 2013
    I never got to play any games from the Half Life series until this past year, then I bought my new gaming laptop and thought, "What better way to start with a game that has been deemed a classic?" and now I see why. Half Life is a game that is over 15 years old and has remarkably held up extremely well since '98. Play any current first person shooter and then play Half Life and you'llI never got to play any games from the Half Life series until this past year, then I bought my new gaming laptop and thought, "What better way to start with a game that has been deemed a classic?" and now I see why. Half Life is a game that is over 15 years old and has remarkably held up extremely well since '98. Play any current first person shooter and then play Half Life and you'll appreciate how innovative Half Life was for its time. Expand
  96. Dec 25, 2013
    I highly recommend this game. It was simply a phenomenal gaming experience. Vault created one heck of a story line as well as killer pulse pounding scenes throughout. The only flaw the ridiculously slow grenade throws.
  97. Dec 25, 2013
    It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire fps genre, but Half-Life has done just that. Immersive and engaging entertainment experience.
  98. Dec 7, 2013
    This game is so awsome and it's so original!! Don't be annoyed by the graphics,you can install a mod or download a HD pack for better weapons quality and characters(like I did). The only sad thing about this game is that is a Linear game but I don't think it would look very nice with some sandbox options. First of all,you may think through the game that is boring and you should stopThis game is so awsome and it's so original!! Don't be annoyed by the graphics,you can install a mod or download a HD pack for better weapons quality and characters(like I did). The only sad thing about this game is that is a Linear game but I don't think it would look very nice with some sandbox options. First of all,you may think through the game that is boring and you should stop playing but when I finished the game and realized that I was only a scientist at the beggining of the game and later on I realized it was just awsome!!! I would give it a 9/10! Expand
  99. Dec 4, 2013
    A great game! Great story line, great characters, what more could you want?! The graphics are bad but remember this game is over a decade old so don't let the graphics fool you. I didn't want to try it out that much because of the graphics but when I did I was hooked.
  100. Nov 27, 2013
    I played this game nearly 15 years after it was released, and compared to today's games, it is truly a great game. Its graphics are still good, even with todays standards, and it keeps you immersed into a sci-fi world where story doesn't have to be thrown in your face for you to keep up with events. Half-Life proves that time does not decide how good a game is, but how the game withstandsI played this game nearly 15 years after it was released, and compared to today's games, it is truly a great game. Its graphics are still good, even with todays standards, and it keeps you immersed into a sci-fi world where story doesn't have to be thrown in your face for you to keep up with events. Half-Life proves that time does not decide how good a game is, but how the game withstands that time, seeing as it is a quality game even today and probably will be one of my top favourite games of all time. Expand
  101. Sep 16, 2010
    Gaming perfection, resulting in the quality of gaming we know today. Map design was genius for the time, when most games lacked puzzle elements, weapon design and a.i. was also top notch. Everything from the safe feeling the start had until the ending on xen was a joy ride with constant new equipment and weapons.

1. It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire genre, but Half-Life has done just that.
  2. The storyline runs in perfect harmony with the action and acts as a conduit not a stopgap, or a padding device. Each gaming element compliments the next and the entire presentation is nothing short of, well…dare we say it…revolutionary.
  3. PC Gamer
    This is The Big One, and it's even better than we could've hoped. [Jan 1999, p.166]