Half-Life PC

9.1

1. Feb 5, 2016
    Valves Masterpiece. Instant classic.

And game that you can actually call an quality game. It offers long playtime. Developers who commit themselves making single player first person shooter experiences, then Half Life is an prime example how its done.
  2. Jan 9, 2016
    I don't give a **** about graphics in a game. Which is why I though I'd enjoy this game since it have such a high rating. But the truth is that this game was so bad that it gave me cancer. I suffered and wasted 9 hours on this game. Half-Life is so over rated. But since I'm an idiot I'll play Half-Life 2 too since my friends though that was alot better than Half-Life 1.
  3. Dec 23, 2015
    The most influential game of the FPS genre. And also the most overrated. Yeah this game is not as good as you may think. It's still pretty good but not worthy of a 10/10 score. So on with the review then.

Pros: - Something that you'll notice is that many of these old school games have tremendous atmosphere. And Half life is no exception. Everything from the laboratories, the outside

Pros:
    - Something that you'll notice is that many of these old school games have tremendous atmosphere. And Half life is no exception. Everything from the laboratories, the outside and the alien world all have amazing atmosphere to them.
    -The story. Everybody said how this game revolutionized storytelling in video games and they couldn't be more right. For once it wasn't about killing everybody in sight and finding a key to unlock a door. This time you had to do some puzzles in order to uncover the exit and not everything was that simple. But sadly for all the good things this game has, there are some little flaws that keep me from fully enjoying it.

Cons:
    - My biggest issue with Half life is that it just doesn't know what the **** it wants to be! For the first couple hours it plays a lot like a survival horror game with very little ammo being given to you and some very decent jumpscares. But in the second half the game takes a Quake road with soldiers, rocket launchers and gigantic helicopter battles. It's like we went from subtle horror to just balls out action in just a couple of hours. Now there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a little confusing
    - And finally my biggest issue is the flawed combat. Now don't get me wrong the game has decent combat, but it's not perfect. Being a game from the late 90's it suffers the same problem like games like SIn and Soldier of Fortune suffered in that the hit detection isn't good but it's tolerable. But tolerable isn't enough for a 10/10 score.

So there you go. This game in my opinion is very overrated but is it good.... yes. Does it deserve to be in the top 100 best games of all time.... yes just probably in the top 50 instead of the top 10 for me.
  4. Dec 14, 2015
    At the time this game was released, it was revolutionary. Many scripted character which would talk to you, follow you, open doors and help fight enemies. That was unseen before. The levels themselves are well designed yet somewhat too linear, like in all shooter games. The graphics were excellent for the time. If you try playing it today, you may not really enjoy it, as the genre hasAt the time this game was released, it was revolutionary. Many scripted character which would talk to you, follow you, open doors and help fight enemies. That was unseen before. The levels themselves are well designed yet somewhat too linear, like in all shooter games. The graphics were excellent for the time. If you try playing it today, you may not really enjoy it, as the genre has advanced far ahead. Expand
  5. Dec 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Run, Think, Shoot, Live. This is still one of the greatest games i played. As the modding community for Half-Life is still very active, that made Half-Life whole. Story plot is awesome and all but, sometimes puzzles are too hard and can lead you to nowhere. But hey! That doesn't mean that the game is not cool! Expand
  6. Dec 1, 2015
    One of those games I played due to the good old demo disc. This game blew my mind when I was younger and I still love it today. The atmosphere is great and the combat feels amazing. The only downside is that Half Life 3 still hasn't been made for the newer gaming audience to enjoy.
  7. Nov 22, 2015
    So after Duke Nukem 3D and Quake, and parallel to Unreal this thing comes out. Wow! Were we ever prepared for the impact? NO! :D Half Life blew my mind. U can do THAT in games? No waaaay man! It was a revolutionary period for games in general, but Half Life is around the top of the pyramid in my book :) so much fun with this one!
  8. Nov 22, 2015
    A masterpiece by Valve. One of the best game game I've ever played. Story line of the game is great, way more better than those games with beautiful graphic but terrible story line. And now i am still waiting for Half-life 3
  9. Nov 10, 2015
    Proof that some older titles still hold up today, good visuals, good engine, and great gameplay, a great launch for Valve back in '96. I defiantly recommend it and the expansions, it's worth the buy on Steam.
  10. Oct 2, 2015
    This game has the best writing, best story, best characters, best gameplay, most fun I had since any game of all time! It deserves game of the year of 1998! The characters are very interesting and its fully original as **** Buy it full price now!!!!!!! FOR LORD GABEN SAKE!!!!
  11. Aug 5, 2015
    This is the best game in my opinion, the story is very original and the gameplay is fun and has lots of action. Balanced enemies and wide variety of weapons. It also had great graphics for it's time. 10/10 17 years old and still better than call of duty.
  12. Aug 3, 2015
    It's 2015 and I'm here reviewing half-life. To think that this was a game in 1998, but in my recent play through I just had an absolute blast. It was a very unique game and with the challenge hard difficulty has I felt very immersed in getting from one place to the next. The physics at the time were outstanding and even being an OoT homer, this game was the best 1998 had to offer.
  13. Jul 15, 2015
    A game to remember. As you play this, you feel immersed in its gripping storyline. It blends the fast-paced action from DOOM with a chilling and monumental storyline, like from a Stephen King novel. Any and every gamer needs to own or at least play this masterpiece.
  14. Jun 13, 2015
    One of the greatest First Person Shooters ever made.Just loses to his sequel,Half Life 2.Good history,great level design and fun challenge.Still fun to play even today.
  15. May 23, 2015
    While it was a bit revolutionary in its times with more variety and puzzles, it lacks in one key element: satisfaction from using weapons. Some enemies, while being human are bullet sponges. Sometimes you spend a minute or two blasting one mutant in face until it falls.
  16. May 18, 2015
  17. Apr 14, 2015
    best damn game valve gameplay good story fantastic characters charismatic your ass people who hate this fantastic game and some people do not know the afff franchise
  18. Apr 4, 2015
    The brilliant story that half life had, was first starting off as being gorden Freeman, coming to work late, he walks down to hope into his HEV suit that he will wear to fight alien and kill soldiers. it's time to choose!
  19. Mar 31, 2015
    Best plot ever! A revolution in game industry. One can play this game forever. It gave birth to Counter-Strike and both projects live till now and will live very long. Worth to be in collection.
  20. Jub
    Mar 2, 2015
    One of my select few 10/10 games. Gameplay, music, level design, and story are all great.

Admittedly I haven't played it in some years now but I'd wager that it's still playable even today, something that can't be said about most old games.
  21. Feb 24, 2015
    Immersive story, spooky atmosphere and graphics that is beautiful even 17 years after the game was first released - these features make Half-Life one of greatest FPS games ever made.

It features very satisfying gameplay with lots of diverse weapons to choose and various aliens and humans to defeat.

Fantastic achievement by Valve!
  22. Feb 23, 2015
    HλLF-LIFE Review

Year Of Release: 1998 Date Of Release: November 8 Introduction-When Half-Life was released in late 1998 it shocked the world, and it changed first person shooters forever. No other FPS game at the time had a decent enough story, proper voice acting and a realistic atmosphere but Half-Life did that and it became a game that would still be played to this day and was
    HλLF-LIFE Review

Year Of Release: 1998
    Date Of Release: November 8

Introduction-When Half-Life was released in late 1998 it shocked the world, and it changed first person shooters forever. No other FPS game at the time had a decent enough story, proper voice acting and a realistic atmosphere but Half-Life did that and it became a game that would still be played to this day and was so successful it sprung a sequel. Half Life really is a brilliant game, not in its ageing graphics, not in its poor voice acting but how good it is gameplay wise.

Plot Summary: You are a scientist called Gordon Freeman you work at a top secret facility called Black Mesa Research Facility. Today you have a special experiment. You enter the test chamber, As you place the specimen into the scanning beam it all goes wrong. Aliens start teleporting all over the facility and kill anything they see Gordon takes matters into his own hands, for his own survival.

Gameplay: You have a range of weapons under you disposal all the weapons in Half-Life have a good use, unlike most FPS games. There are plenty of clever puzzles which most FPS games lacked, even now FPS games don't have proper puzzles. A useful addition is the duck jump which is used well in Half-Life. These additions were very welcoming considering the usual find a key next door and then the next door to the exit. But this was a more realistic approach.

Switching a fire chamber on to burn a giant monster, turning on a generator to electrocute a big alien this is the kind of thing FPS was hungry for and Half-Life proved that adding these environments and goals would make a realistic, puzzling atmosphere.

Music: There is not much of a musical score in Half-Life in fact there is not theme song. But when you do hear a song in game, its tense or a fast paced action song.

AI: The AI was perfect for the day and there still hold up good today but the AI really was clever in Half-Life which most FPS lacked back in the day.

Conclusion should I buy it or not?

The answer is obviously yes! Without a doubt Half-Life is truly a fantastic game. Its a must have! You will have a very nostalgic and fulfilling adventure you have ever had from a FPS game. Its a great classic that still holds up today it has everything a FPS needs you will not be disappointed.I rate it a solid...

23. Feb 3, 2015
    This is among one of the best shooters ever made. It has a deep single-player story driven experience where you take the role of Gorden Freeman, crowbar wielding scientist turned alien hunter. This game is a classic and it spawned some of the best game mods ever seen, including Counter-Strike.
  24. Jan 28, 2015
    "When I first saw the trailer for this, I saw that it had good graphics. When I bought it only played it for like the first stage before realising how terrible the graphics are. I don't care how long ago this game was made, graphics matter more than anything in a game."
    I couldn't possibly disagree more with you!
  25. Jan 23, 2015
    this game is beautifull, one of the best games ever made great story. All is amazing 10/10 100/100 this game is for pro players (Best game ever). i love half life
  26. Jan 1, 2015
    A solid 10.0 for me.It has one of the best storylines ever with the most badass protagonist ever Gordon Freeman. An experiment goes wrong, its to do with an alien world.which leaves you asking for answers,who?why?how?Its graphics still are acceptable today, gameplay is still as good as ever and it has a brilliant atmosphere and I have never had such a good gaming experience in my life.
  27. Dec 28, 2014
    This game released in 1998 and I'm still playing it instead of boring ordinary games with fancy graphics. Half Life gives you pure fps experience better than any game.
  28. Dec 9, 2014
    I wish I could give this game an 11. So, yeah, my favorite game of all time. This is gonna take a while... from where do I start? I guess I'll start from the bottom and work my way up to what I enjoy most in the game.

Graphics: They were pretty amazing at the time. Even the Source engine (the follow-up of the GoldSrc engine, a heavily modified Quake engine) is struggling to hold up

Graphics:
    They were pretty amazing at the time. Even the Source engine (the follow-up of the GoldSrc engine, a heavily modified Quake engine) is struggling to hold up today. But for 1998 standards... there weren't many truly 3D FPSs games. And Half Life had high quality textures, polygonal models... and the NPCs moved their mouths when they were talking. Even in Max Payne 2 (from 2003) some characters didn't move their mouths.

Of course, Half Life did not age well in the graphics department, but you gotta give it a break. If you compare it with other games at the time (Quake 2, for example), Half Life looks gorgeous.

Audio:
    The voice acting is nice for the time. It could have been better, though -there are only 3 voice actors in the game from what I recall, but the voices are memorable. The monsters, the guns and other sounds don't disappoint also.

The soundtrack has some memorable themes, but it is too scarce. There are some great action or exploration moments that could use some background track, but it will only play in a few (very few) moments.

Gameplay:
    The action was fast paced and easy for anyone to try it, but the game didn't babysit you. The AI of the enemies was really good, and, actually, I think it holds up even for today standards. The marines you fight aren't brain-dead like many of the enemies of modern shooters. They actually fall back and heal themselves. Sometimes they act really stupid, but most of the time they provide a challenge.

The game also had a great pacing, with fast gunplay moments, small fights and exploration parts. And they all feel connected so organically that it's something I still haven't seen in any other game.

But what really sets the game apart from me are two things: the storytelling and the level design.

Story:
    Actually, the story is pretty dumb. You're Gordon Freeman, a scientist that kicks alien ass. Hell yeah. But, seriously, there's nothing more to it. What is amazing is that the game doesn't take control of the camera at any time. Since you start up the campaign, you see everything by the protagonist's eye. And each room tells you a story. It's subtle, but every corner has something to add to the story if you look carefully and try to interpret what is being shown. It's nothing so much amazing, but it's awesome by the way that this is achieved.

Level design:
    I don't even know what to say. The level design contributes to the storytelling, bringing the universe of the Black Mesa Research Facility alive. But it doesn't sacrifice the gameplay. In fact, it makes the whole experience more enjoyable, because each level has its own motif going on, and each one is focused in one type of gameplay. Some levels are more action packed, others have more puzzles. But they don't feel disjointed at any time. Only the last levels are kind of a bore, but they're not necessarilly bad. They just don't hold up to the other levels.

So, yeah, I talked too much and I didn't even scrape the surface of what I wanted to talk. But you should at least take a look at the game. It deserves it, as the "uncle" of modern titles. And if you never played the original and think that it's too old, take a look at the free mod called Black Mesa, that is a remake of the original game. It's amazing too. So, yeah, Half Life... give it a try when you can, really.
  29. Nov 4, 2014
    One of the best games ever made, and it started the best game franchise ever made.
    ...................................................................
  30. Oct 30, 2014
    That's a good story for an FPS game. I did not expect a game from 99's, so catch me hard and keep me stuck to computer several hours. That's a good game. Good for Valve.
  31. Oct 14, 2014
    This is the second-greatest game of all time, just slipping shy of it's successor Half-Life 2.

Despite being dated (1998) the graphics are amazing for their time, and despite the textures on the original not being high-resolution, the game still scales to 1080p perfectly and remains crisp and sharp. Although the textures themselves are obviously dated, the atmosphere that the team have created for Half-Life is wonderful. The into cinematic scene is still possibly the best introductory sequence of any game ever to date. It draws you into the world that is Half-Life, and you feel right at home from the start. The characters speak with you, address you by name, involve you in conversations among themselves, and even those who are not needed for the game to proceed will acknowledge you; something even most modern titles fail to do. The story-telling is excellent, moving transitionally from chapter to chapter without the need for annoying cut-scenes or sequences or flashbacks. Because of this, you're truly immersed in the gameplay since you are never distracted or removed from the first-person view at any time. The dialogue is incredible, the story is immaculate, and the gameplay is fantastic. The puzzles, enemies, friends and allies, and sound effects, the charm; this game set the bar for almost every first person shooter. The only thing which makes this game sub-par to Half-Life 2 is two minor things; the graphical limitations (which I know is unfair, since we are comparing a 6-year technology gap) and the controls. The control system itself is fine, but the movement can at times be notoriously difficult as there is no option to move slowly. Also, targeting small enemies can be difficult with firearms weapons at times. These are so minor, that it is not enough to shave a mark off the final score, as this game is near-on perfect. You NEED to play this game, and if you haven't already, you need to play Half-Life 2 after playing this. Best two games in the world.
  32. Oct 9, 2014
    I liked this one, but Half Life 2 blew my mind. The storytelling is quite good here, the maps are very well edited. The graphics looks dated today but overall it's quite OK. A very innovative and enjoyable FPS, one of the most obvious classics of the genre
  33. Oct 4, 2014
    Game: Half-Life
    Genre: FPS/Horror
    Developer: Valve System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 77/100 Value Score: 7.7/10 • Story: 7/10 • Characters: 7/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 8/10 • Music: 7/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 6/10 • Player Value: 7/10 Pros +Great environment design and theme +Great Variety of weapons and the mechanics are nicely done
    Game: Half-Life

• Music: 7/10
    • Length: 7/10
    • Replay Value: 6/10
    • Player Value: 7/10

Pros
    +Great environment design and theme
    +Great Variety of weapons and the mechanics are nicely done
    +Well designed puzzles and scenarios
    +Console mode enabled lets you play the game differently than it should (i.e. NoClip, Godmode, etc)
    +Multiplayer allows you to do PvP type matches against other players
    +Choice of 3 different difficulties

Cons
    -Sometimes certain NPCs that killed make it inaccessible to certain areas unless you use cheats
    -The game tends to be glitchy at times such as enemies going through walls, etc (very rare though)
    -This is the original - the source edition is considered to be the superior version due to some changes such as the engine, the sound effects, etc.
  34. Sep 29, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic game, great game play and an amazing story. This game leaves everything to you, instead of using a bunch of nonsense cut-scene to tell the story, you actually have to interact with the NPCs to understand the story. I can promise you that the game will not ever get boring because you are constantly introduced to new concepts. Unfortunately it is an old game and youAn absolutely fantastic game, great game play and an amazing story. This game leaves everything to you, instead of using a bunch of nonsense cut-scene to tell the story, you actually have to interact with the NPCs to understand the story. I can promise you that the game will not ever get boring because you are constantly introduced to new concepts. Unfortunately it is an old game and you modern "gamers" will just complain all day long about the graphics and how it is way harder and take way more skills than your new "games", its OK you just have a primitive brain. Expand
  35. Sep 20, 2014
    A true gaming classic that should be played by everyone. The story (like half life 2's) is great, the gameplay is always exciting and fun. This is a must own.
  36. Sep 11, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece that can be considered the best of all time. Nothing can even come close to the impact that this game made for the entire world. This single handily created the modern FPS genre. Sure Doom and Duke Nukem 3D were good, but Half Life made it a story, not a mindless shooting frenzy. If you are looking for that, then this game will be semi unpleasing for you. If youThis game is a masterpiece that can be considered the best of all time. Nothing can even come close to the impact that this game made for the entire world. This single handily created the modern FPS genre. Sure Doom and Duke Nukem 3D were good, but Half Life made it a story, not a mindless shooting frenzy. If you are looking for that, then this game will be semi unpleasing for you. If you are looking for a great game with a great story line and combat, then this game will satisfy your needs easily. Expand
  37. Aug 11, 2014
    I feel really proud for playing this masterpiece when it first came out. I still remember I had a debate with a friend of mine and PS1 owner back at the day. He was claiming that PC graphics cant surpass console graphics. So, I invited him to my home and showed him HL1. He was freaking shocked and speechless and at first thought that the intro with the train was a FMV, until I moved theI feel really proud for playing this masterpiece when it first came out. I still remember I had a debate with a friend of mine and PS1 owner back at the day. He was claiming that PC graphics cant surpass console graphics. So, I invited him to my home and showed him HL1. He was freaking shocked and speechless and at first thought that the intro with the train was a FMV, until I moved the mouse... One year later he bought a PC Expand
  38. Aug 5, 2014
    After 16 years, until this day, I still don't remember what was all that hype about and the funny thing is that the same hype train continued with Half-Life 2. Don't get me wrong, both games are a good solid FPS games, I liked them and enjoyed both, but they never took my breath away, they just never got me or gave me something to value them so highly, I never understood their massiveAfter 16 years, until this day, I still don't remember what was all that hype about and the funny thing is that the same hype train continued with Half-Life 2. Don't get me wrong, both games are a good solid FPS games, I liked them and enjoyed both, but they never took my breath away, they just never got me or gave me something to value them so highly, I never understood their massive appeal and I feel there are much much better titles in this category out there. Maybe I'm just immune to that supposed positive Valve vibe everyone else seems to get, I never even liked Steam, so it's pretty possible. 7/10 Expand
  39. Jun 22, 2014
    Half-Life 1 is still what we thought it was: the best game of the century. Nothing may surpass the ingenuity, the genius of VALVe while making that game. The gameplay is revolutionary, the map design is wonderful, the split between puzzle and fight is excellent to ensure a comfortable playthrough.
    There is no way you may think this is a FPS; this is the ancestor of modern ones. Doom unraveled a new genre, Half-Life perfected it.
    It made it.

This is art, in all of its forms. I can't simply say else.
  40. Jun 10, 2014
    Fue uno de los primeros videojuegos que en vez de bloquear las escenas para situar la historias las hacía parte del juego, además generó un standart dentro de los FPS que ha continuado hasta la fecha. No ha envejecido muy bien pero con Black Mesa ha mejorado.
  41. Jun 5, 2014
    Remember back when FPS games were like this? No iron-sights. No objective markers. No endless streams of "terrorists" running at you with their non existent AI? They were good times.

Half-Life was the most impressive game of it's time and really dropped you into the thick of it. Starting with the moment you step on the tram to head to your lab, to the cataclysmic events that unfold not 30 minutes later, you're there. It's not narrated to you or written on loading screens. Along the way, your colleagues guide you and keep you up to date with the current events. Black Mesa had a real sense of place that you could really sink your teeth into. To top it all off, it fully open source with the tools immediately available for you to get into the thick of it and make your own story?

People still develop mods for this game today, 15 years later, meaning that the play time is practically limitless.

Half-Life was and is to this day a groundbreaking game and its greatness is challenged only by it's sequel.
  42. Apr 26, 2014
    this game revolutionized and shaped so much of modern gaming its hard to fathom it. it deserves nothing lower than a perfect score. its dated and a bit derpy now, of course (it came out in 98!) so if youre playing it for the first time now, take it in context of when it was released.
  43. Apr 22, 2014
    What Half-Life does well is tell a story through action
    HL has no cutscenes because cutscenes are the opposite of action, they are inaction because it takes control away from the player.
    One of the key features of a "Rail Shooter", go from point a to point b with few diversions & no backtracking. Rail Shooter as in like a train, you always keep moving. Valve knows that backtracking
    What Half-Life does well is tell a story through action

Rail Shooter as in like a train, you always keep moving.
    Valve knows that backtracking gets frustrating faster than anything else, and is the most artificial way to enhance difficulty (hell increasing the damage the player takes is a better way if only marginally).
    Valve is also fond of vent crawling and puzzles which I've never seen much appeal in apart from the initial novelty of vent crawling.

Apart from being very moddable and userfriendly,
    Half-Life also does something incredibly well that has helped modders improve their own skills, and thats level design. Each place in the game looks hand crafted. No copy and pasting of sections or randomization here! It also knows how to be challenging without throwing tons of enemies at you, and thats with good enemy placement as well as knowing when to give the player rewards (weapon/ammo/health placement).

Its a game designer's poster child, thats what it is.
  44. Apr 16, 2014
    Half Life is one of the best FPS in all of history. Half-Life made in 1999 BEATS some games made in 2013 (COD) there is actually an interesting story line. Gordon Freeman a theoretical physicist that knows how to shoot zombies with a shotgun take that rednecks your not the only one. The map design, level design, and weapon design is OUTSTANDING. (Love the spaz-12) this the first and maybeHalf Life is one of the best FPS in all of history. Half-Life made in 1999 BEATS some games made in 2013 (COD) there is actually an interesting story line. Gordon Freeman a theoretical physicist that knows how to shoot zombies with a shotgun take that rednecks your not the only one. The map design, level design, and weapon design is OUTSTANDING. (Love the spaz-12) this the first and maybe the best game valve has made. Yes graphics are outdated and yes AI are a bit clumsy and walk in linear ways at times but you can look over that and still IT WAS MADE IN 1999 and if you want an updated version get black mesa source - that's for the pusses who care so much about graphics. Overall this is a GREAT fps and I would play this game before you die great job valve I give this a 97/100 Expand
  45. Apr 16, 2014
    The people that made this must have genius level IQs. Absolutely mind blowing. Whenever I go back to it, I realize how much every other FPS before and after sucks in comparison (yes, even the original "Deus Ex" and "Human Revolution" missed notes that this game constantly nails on the head).

Not only is it an amazing single-player title, we got some game-changing multiplayer mods out of it as well (Counter-Strike, TFC [which was a *much* improved version of the Quake TF], Natural Selection, Science & Industry) that were absolutely *free*. Guys setting up servers in their basement and players getting pings better than you can get in CoD or any other console multiplayer title. Those were the days. People who got into gaming after all this have no idea what they missed. Kind of like getting into "The Beatles" *after* the hippie movement. Still a great band, but the music doesn't have anywhere *near* the same impact it would've if you were there when it was happening.
  46. Apr 16, 2014
    One of the few gme sthat have set a standard for future games is the best FPS ever no doubt better than most games 2k14 too. Balanced weapons, even better than the other Half-Life games.....
  47. Mar 26, 2014
    Up to this day, there hasn't been a game that would drop my jaw lower. Every single part about this game was and is enjoyable, from the great gameplay all the way to the story or the music, which beautifully enhances the atmosphere of all the locations you have a chance to visit. A 10/10 must, one of the best gaming experience you can find even today.
  48. Mar 16, 2014
    Perfeito, nada a declarar.
    Toda a imersão, a historia que é contada de uma forma magnifica, você se sente na pele de gordon, ate porque ele não fala, isso ajuda, partes tensas, terror, ação, coisas loucas, magnifico ate o final.
  49. Mar 7, 2014
    ple who play this game will last a life time in there hearts because this game still ROCKs all others ever made for the PC Valve i love your Work! please keep kickin ass on the best game series you have made in the Year
  50. Mar 2, 2014
    Okay, so it's 1998. A new game is on the shelves under the name of Half Life, from a new Valve company. You pick it up, buy it, then load it up. You find yourself at a computer playing a game where you are on a train going through a facility. Then just as you start a test.... BAM. Everything goes wrong. Now you are Gordon Freeman, a theoretical scientist escaping the ruins of Black Mesa.Okay, so it's 1998. A new game is on the shelves under the name of Half Life, from a new Valve company. You pick it up, buy it, then load it up. You find yourself at a computer playing a game where you are on a train going through a facility. Then just as you start a test.... BAM. Everything goes wrong. Now you are Gordon Freeman, a theoretical scientist escaping the ruins of Black Mesa.

Would like to note that the game is a little glitchy, but remember it's 1998 ;)
    Great game. WPOAOAOASOSOSF.

(Would Play Over And Over And Over And So On So Forth)
  51. Mar 1, 2014
    One day I was bored and thought I should play this game. It was so phenomenal I'm a fan now!
    I think the best thing about it is the storytelling: You can experience the world of half-life without a cut scene and your character doesn't speak which means you can make your own thoughts. The atmosphere is also very well done and the multiplayer mode has a lot to offer.
    This game was also
    This game was also revolutionary for the FPS!
  52. Feb 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game that started the beautiful series of Half-Life. This game is a true treasure of it's period. For a game released in 1998, it was almost Next Generation. If you every say this game was bad, you obviously don't have a good taste for games. I suggest you buy the the Half-Life complete pack and play the entire series.
    IN A NUTSHELL: Follow the adventures of Gordon Freeman as he escapes the Black Mesa Research Facility in New Mexico. During the path you will encounter 3 armed aliens, acid spitting bulls, barnacles, and heavily armed soldiers.
  53. Feb 16, 2014
    This is classic I love it, I played it for 18 hours for my first play through and now I'm on my second and I am now 3 more hours in. It is still amazing, it has definitely stood the test of time.
  54. Jan 31, 2014
    This game is what set it all in motion for me, it changed how gaming in the FPS world is done today. I have yet to find a game that even comes close to how much fun I had with Half Life. Not only was the story line engaging and the graphics (for the time) awesome, but it opened up a whole new style of gaming with it's ability to make mods such as TFC. TFC is a completely differentThis game is what set it all in motion for me, it changed how gaming in the FPS world is done today. I have yet to find a game that even comes close to how much fun I had with Half Life. Not only was the story line engaging and the graphics (for the time) awesome, but it opened up a whole new style of gaming with it's ability to make mods such as TFC. TFC is a completely different experience by its own merit, but none of what we have today would be possible without the utter glory that is Half Life. This is a classic and a legend! Expand
  55. Jan 29, 2014
    I started playing HL in deathmatches with friends when it first came out. Then my system at the time could barely handle it. Now, some 10 year later and a new laptop that is 16 times more powerful than my previous system. I have found it a new and love it.
  56. Jan 24, 2014
    This game is a work of art. Playing through the amazing story of the Black Mesa breakdown and surviving the horrors within is amazing. For 1998, the gameplay mechanics and over all game was and still is revolutionary. As far as being and FPS, this game is not your typical "Hide, Shoot, Run", it requires thinking and patients, which is rare for an FPS, and still brings action. One of theThis game is a work of art. Playing through the amazing story of the Black Mesa breakdown and surviving the horrors within is amazing. For 1998, the gameplay mechanics and over all game was and still is revolutionary. As far as being and FPS, this game is not your typical "Hide, Shoot, Run", it requires thinking and patients, which is rare for an FPS, and still brings action. One of the greatest games in history. I recommend for anyone who loves video games. Expand
  57. Jan 21, 2014
    This stands as one of my favorite games of all time. It is enthralling as well as challenging. There were a few parts that were really difficult to figure out the puzzle, but once you got it you felt instant gratification. It has a very unique way of telling a story, and if you're not careful you could miss it. Overall I will remember this game with a lot of fond memories.
  58. Jan 10, 2014
    I think this game is a best game ever because has a beautiful story enjoyable gameplay and epic graphics
    this great game is VALVe's debut game and like all VALVe games it's epic
  59. Jan 1, 2014
    An old classic. A good storyline (but not a patch on its even better sequel) but it's a classic "for its time". Best game of 1998, sure. But unlike some games it's not survived the test of time as well.
  60. Dec 27, 2013
    I never got to play any games from the Half Life series until this past year, then I bought my new gaming laptop and thought, "What better way to start with a game that has been deemed a classic?" and now I see why. Half Life is a game that is over 15 years old and has remarkably held up extremely well since '98. Play any current first person shooter and then play Half Life and you'llI never got to play any games from the Half Life series until this past year, then I bought my new gaming laptop and thought, "What better way to start with a game that has been deemed a classic?" and now I see why. Half Life is a game that is over 15 years old and has remarkably held up extremely well since '98. Play any current first person shooter and then play Half Life and you'll appreciate how innovative Half Life was for its time. Expand
  61. Dec 25, 2013
    I highly recommend this game. It was simply a phenomenal gaming experience. Vault created one heck of a story line as well as killer pulse pounding scenes throughout. The only flaw the ridiculously slow grenade throws.
  62. Dec 25, 2013
    It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire fps genre, but Half-Life has done just that. Immersive and engaging entertainment experience.
  63. Dec 13, 2013
    I'm unimpressed and underwhelmed by the Campaign, but the multiplayer is fantastic. I would recommend this just for the multiplayer mode. Yeah, it's nothing special, but it's a very good multiplayer game.
  64. Dec 7, 2013
    This game is so awsome and it's so original!! Don't be annoyed by the graphics,you can install a mod or download a HD pack for better weapons quality and characters(like I did). The only sad thing about this game is that is a Linear game but I don't think it would look very nice with some sandbox options. First of all,you may think through the game that is boring and you should stopThis game is so awsome and it's so original!! Don't be annoyed by the graphics,you can install a mod or download a HD pack for better weapons quality and characters(like I did). The only sad thing about this game is that is a Linear game but I don't think it would look very nice with some sandbox options. First of all,you may think through the game that is boring and you should stop playing but when I finished the game and realized that I was only a scientist at the beggining of the game and later on I realized it was just awsome!!! I would give it a 9/10! Expand
  65. Dec 4, 2013
    A great game! Great story line, great characters, what more could you want?! The graphics are bad but remember this game is over a decade old so don't let the graphics fool you. I didn't want to try it out that much because of the graphics but when I did I was hooked.
  66. Nov 27, 2013
    I played this game nearly 15 years after it was released, and compared to today's games, it is truly a great game. Its graphics are still good, even with todays standards, and it keeps you immersed into a sci-fi world where story doesn't have to be thrown in your face for you to keep up with events. Half-Life proves that time does not decide how good a game is, but how the game withstandsI played this game nearly 15 years after it was released, and compared to today's games, it is truly a great game. Its graphics are still good, even with todays standards, and it keeps you immersed into a sci-fi world where story doesn't have to be thrown in your face for you to keep up with events. Half-Life proves that time does not decide how good a game is, but how the game withstands that time, seeing as it is a quality game even today and probably will be one of my top favourite games of all time. Expand
  67. Nov 24, 2013
    One of the games people grew up on in the late 1990s. Gordon Freeman is a memorable character however time has not done him well as he had no voice acting associated with him so all that remains is a blocky character render and a few paintings. Today it appears Valve are busy enough with Steam to give Half-Life series serious focus. HL1 was a stepping stone in storytelling first personOne of the games people grew up on in the late 1990s. Gordon Freeman is a memorable character however time has not done him well as he had no voice acting associated with him so all that remains is a blocky character render and a few paintings. Today it appears Valve are busy enough with Steam to give Half-Life series serious focus. HL1 was a stepping stone in storytelling first person shooters and varied environment interactivity (eg. physics puzzles). Expand
  68. Nov 23, 2013
    This game is near perfect, it has changed the fps genre forever, with no doubt. The Black Mesa facility is truly a maze, and the xen levels...MY GOD THE XEN levels were amazing. This is a near perfect game!
  69. Nov 19, 2013
    Half Life's claustrophobic nature and engaging story proves that first-person shooters can be something more than shooting endless range of enemies. Not only that, but the gameplay also revolutionizes gaming mechanics. Exploring various locations for supplies and platforming through sections is needful to go through various levels, making the experience more interesting. And, as youHalf Life's claustrophobic nature and engaging story proves that first-person shooters can be something more than shooting endless range of enemies. Not only that, but the gameplay also revolutionizes gaming mechanics. Exploring various locations for supplies and platforming through sections is needful to go through various levels, making the experience more interesting. And, as you except, shooting's remarkably fun. But, what aspect this game revolutionized the most, is successfully telling a story without scripted scenes. Half Life is a mark of brilliance. (Final Score: 9.64) Expand
  70. Nov 11, 2013
    This game is a personal favourite of mine, so I'll do my best to keep it as unbiased as possible. This game is probably one of the best first person shooters ever made. The story is interesting, the gameplay is fantastic, and while the graphics aren't top notch by today's standards, it has that nostalgic charm that keeps it from being hard to look at. The fast paced, old school FPS actionThis game is a personal favourite of mine, so I'll do my best to keep it as unbiased as possible. This game is probably one of the best first person shooters ever made. The story is interesting, the gameplay is fantastic, and while the graphics aren't top notch by today's standards, it has that nostalgic charm that keeps it from being hard to look at. The fast paced, old school FPS action in this game is fantastic and fun, and should certainly keep fans of old school FPS games interested, along with a pretty interesting story, though it's certainly not as good as its sequel. The cons of this game include relatively boring enemies at many points, sometimes the levels feel quite drawn out, and the movement can feel somewhat iffy on newer machines (at least as far as I can tell). Overall, this game is definitely worth a playthrough in the very least if you're a fan of other Valve titles or old school shooters. Expand
  71. Nov 6, 2013
    Not only one of the greatest shooters of all time one of the greatest games, period. Revolutionized a genre previously known for pure run n' gun and 'shooting gallery' style game play with its storytelling, puzzles, and AI. Spawned countless successful mods(e.g. Counter-Strike) and influenced other games for years after its release.
  72. Nov 5, 2013
    horrible game, the graphix are bad, you cant aim down sights, its plagued with bugs (i fell out of the train in the beginning by jumping), no perks, no playable servers or cool maps, cant play with an xbox360 controller (cause fps console gaming is superior for obvious reasons), i couldnt paint a rainbow or d**k on my gun
  73. Nov 5, 2013
    This game revolutionized what a single player fps could be. It's packed from start to finish with some of the most enjoyable gameplay in the genre. A true masterpiece in the art.
  74. Nov 2, 2013
    I have never understood why people love this game so much. I've played all the "Half-Life" games currently out and all of them were mediocre to me. The story was fairly uninteresting to me and I just couldn't get into it. Anyway, the graphics (for its time) were good, the mechanics were good, and the story was... meh.
  75. Oct 18, 2013
    A masterpiece and in my opinion better than HL2. It has more weapons, enemies, challenges, difficulty and all in all fun. Gordon Freeman feels more 3-D rather than an empty shell even though he's still silent, characters to hate and love, enemies to destroy and it ranges from aliens to zombies to soldiers. Really, its enjoyable for everyone. The storyline is simple, and based in a labA masterpiece and in my opinion better than HL2. It has more weapons, enemies, challenges, difficulty and all in all fun. Gordon Freeman feels more 3-D rather than an empty shell even though he's still silent, characters to hate and love, enemies to destroy and it ranges from aliens to zombies to soldiers. Really, its enjoyable for everyone. The storyline is simple, and based in a lab rather than in a city like HL2. It also gives some backstory on HL2 in the ending. Weapons are wide-ranged and for the 90's the graphics are top notch. Go play it, you might not LOVE it but you'll still enjoy. Expand
  76. Sep 26, 2013
    While the sequel to this game takes all of the plaudits for being one of the best games ever made, but for me Half Life is so much better. As someone who has recently beat the game you would think that the dated graphics would be an issue, but the answer is no.

If I'm honest however, I must admit that the story is fairly mediocre at best, and also you will find slightly repetitive 'room to room, wave after wave' situations throughout the game. But the fact is, the sheer genius and quality of Half Life dwarfs those issues. What is also a testament to the game is that I am simply not used to/experienced with classic/old games so the fact I can appreciate the game is surprising for me.

Of all the games I have played, Half Life has by far the best level design. You will experience that there isn't just one way of getting through a section of the game. Throughout the 15 hour campaign, I honestly felt none of the levels were repetitive which is something that should be praised as it was the first ever game made by Valve.

The enemies are varied and challenging, in fact, its one of the most difficult games I have ever played. I often watched walkthroughs to help me progess. Nevertheless, the enemies are outstanding, level design is incredible and the length of the game is very satisfying. I've also played Half Life 2 and for me, this game is a lot better.

9/10 Brilliant
  77. Sep 16, 2013
    Gaming perfection, resulting in the quality of gaming we know today. Map design was genius for the time, when most games lacked puzzle elements, weapon design and a.i. was also top notch. Everything from the safe feeling the start had until the ending on xen was a joy ride with constant new equipment and weapons.
  78. Sep 4, 2013
    This is among the best games ever made the story is excellent so is the gameplay, level design everything is perfect except for a few things the dated graphics but back in 1998 is was amazing and the platforming is sometimes really fiddly and it is actually challenging even on Normal difficulty and for less experienced or casual players Easy presents a challenge (i think) but its neverThis is among the best games ever made the story is excellent so is the gameplay, level design everything is perfect except for a few things the dated graphics but back in 1998 is was amazing and the platforming is sometimes really fiddly and it is actually challenging even on Normal difficulty and for less experienced or casual players Easy presents a challenge (i think) but its never unfair it has some interesting setting and that feel of shooting in Half Life and then there is the multiplayer while this isn't the strong point of the game it's decent and paved the way for Counter-Strike and then theres the mods Counter Strike, Team Fortress started out as a Quake mod though), Day of Defeat and is better than Ocarina of Time Expand
  79. Aug 31, 2013
    I kind of like it but after a while of game play it starts to get very repetitive. Doing the same thing a lot killing an alien, solve a puzzle, kill an alien, solve a puzzle. The graphics are good on some things but not others. I would give it a 3 but it was made in 1998 which is mind boggling. Best game of the millennium (1000 years). Thanks for reading!
  80. Aug 31, 2013
    Wonderful game, lots of mods, at a low price?! The answer, YES! This game delivers on a massive scale, having lots of awards and praise for it being the first game Valve ever released!

Pros: -Very influential and unique story and concepts -Extremely moddable, great mods out there -Obscure and cool weapons, such as the Egon and the Tau Cannon. -Still being supported in the modding

Pros:
    -Very influential and unique story and concepts
    -Extremely moddable, great mods out there
    -Obscure and cool weapons, such as the Egon and the Tau Cannon.
    -Still being supported in the modding community.
    -The graphics are a little dated, but still hold up today.
    -10+ hours of gameplay (unlike some games today)
    -Good sound design for the technology back then.
    -Very affordable, ONLY $10 in the US!

Cons:
    -It gets a little repetitive towards the end.
    -It does not hold up well today, since it is so influential.
    -The boss is a bit too long and tedious.
    -Loading screens everywhere, but this is not such a big problem, since with computers
    now can breeze through the loading process
    -Some of the puzzles are easy to figure out and are not challenging.
    -The voice acting is nothing special.

Those are all the pros and cons that I can list off of the top of my head. I am sure there are more things to list, but overall, this game is great! Buy it! It is very cheap!
  81. Aug 9, 2013
    It's got a great storyline, however there are some puzzles and long parts which are a bit boring or very hard. The game was ahead of it's time (and still was by 2002). Multiplayer isn't too exciting, with only Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. Must play, on Steam it is only 10 euros, which it still definitely is worth.
  82. Aug 7, 2013
    Had incredible fun when I finally got to place this game. First I played the PS2 version but this is FAR better. Intense story line, great controls and bosses that don't die from simply shooting them. This is a FPS where you use your brain.
  83. Aug 5, 2013
    The metascore on this game, should be 100. This game was named game of the year by over 50 publications! I just beat it today. (8/5/13) Best. Game. EVER
  84. Jul 24, 2013
    I first bought this game because I heard so many good things about it that I HAD to see it for myself. The first thing that hit me (playing it in 2013) was the graphics (produced 1998). I laughed a bit at the graphics at the beginning, but I don't think I thought about them again after the 10 minute mark. At all. I became so immersed in the story that I didn't have any spare thoughts toI first bought this game because I heard so many good things about it that I HAD to see it for myself. The first thing that hit me (playing it in 2013) was the graphics (produced 1998). I laughed a bit at the graphics at the beginning, but I don't think I thought about them again after the 10 minute mark. At all. I became so immersed in the story that I didn't have any spare thoughts to give. I launched it expecting to play an hour, but was surprised when 3 o'clock rolled around and I hadn't eaten anything! The very next day, I started it up telling myself I wouldn't let that happen again. The story kept my full attention and I had to be called for dinner. At that moment I realized, after making me do nothing but game on that one game all day, two days in a row(which I try never to let happen), that Half Life was exactly what everyone told me it would be. After thinking about it for a bit, I have decided that it is one of the best single-player games I have ever played, if not for but everything other than the graphics (which doesn't even matter, after one stops obsessing over them and remember exactly when it was made).

One thing that I was really impressed about was the variety of weapons one found. For me, in different situations I liked to whip out Weapon X to confront Guy A and then switch to Weapon Y to finish off Alien B, or altogether stay back and pick them off with Weapon Z. I also impressed with the amount of ammo you get throughout the duration of the game. Half Life seems to give you just enough ammo for Favorite Gun X that you have to pick and choose when you want to use it while still allowing you to use it when you want without fear that you will be left defenseless. I leaves you with exactly enough to get by a point in the game to make you FEEL that you might run out.

My favorite thing about Half Life is its adrenaline moments. This game keeps you on your feet the entire time. Aliens can teleport in at any time, you walk around a corner and you are assaulted on all sides, an unseen headcrab jumps at your face, something completely unexpected happens. You can never take any little task for granted in this game; if something happens normally a two or three times, its a prime target for some sort of unexpected jump.

The negative reviews seem to all say the same thing: Bad graphics, how they don't understand the story, and that the character movement is difficult to manage. To enjoy the game, you have to let go of the graphics. Simple as that. If you are one of those guys that won't even touch a game that has bad graphics, you can download Source SDK Base 2007 and the free mod Black Mesa (It is basically the same story, minor changes, newer graphics, but it is not made by Valve nor does it have the end portion of the game). The story is not exactly explained to you like a storyteller is explaining it to you, but instead you have to deduce from what you are asked to do in the game and the results of those actions what exactly is happening. If you did not understand why you did a certain task, I would suggest looking up the chapter you just completed (it says whenever you save on the list of loads which chapter you are on) on the internet. I know I missed at least one thing while playing this game, and it really helps keep the game enjoyable and understandable as you progress. Now, for some reason people are complaining about how hard it is to jump across a pit of *insert miserable object here* or how they can't use ladders, falling to their death in either case. This game does have its very short and subtle moments of parkour, but it is only difficult if you make it difficult. For these moments I can only tell you to jump at the last moment or look around to see if there is another way around/another jumping point. Lastly, the WASD keys are automatically set to a "Run" or "Jog" type of action. To climb down a ladder in real life, you wouldn't RUN down the ladder, would you? There is a "Walk" key--normally bound to SHIFT, where you can approach the ladder as one would in real life; walking carefully and accessing it full on and not an angle.

After addressing a good 80% of the reviews, lets take a look at the numbers now. As of today, 1826 people thoroughly enjoyed this game. 34 people were pretty OK with this game, but generally had some problems with it. 108 people (80 of which I have addressed) did not like the game at all. That leaves 28 people who just didn't like the game because they were not that into it legitimately (which I can totally accept). 28 out of 1968 people on Metacritic did not like this game for reasons that are unchangeable. If that trend continues for whoever reads this and is wondering if they should get Half Life, you have a 98.577% chance(1940 people who liked the game 1968 total people) of liking this game(rating it 5 or higher) or a 92.785% chance (1826 people 1968 total people) of enjoying this game a lot(rating it a 7 or higher). I'd say those are good odds.
  85. Jul 17, 2013
    Lets be honest here this game is outdated in many ways (graphics and sound), but the gameplay and storyline still makes Half Life fun almost 15 years after its release. If you enjoyed one of the other Half Life for the magnificent story and the challenges rather than the graphics, then I would highly recommend buying Half-Life.
  86. Jul 9, 2013
    One of the best games ever made. EVEN NOW YEARS AFTER IT IS MADE, PLAY IT nuff said. the only bad thing about the game is the ladder climbing is really obnoxious
  87. Jul 3, 2013
    Half-Life is one of the best games ever made. Immersive and fun. Great story, cool weapons, and good voice acting. An experiment goes wrong causing aliens to wreak havoc on the Black Mesa Facility.
  88. Jul 3, 2013
    This game is truly the pinnacle of its time. It flawlessly integrates story, combat and puzzles. I feel it hasn't aged a bit, and is still a brilliant purchase 15 years later. 10/10 would recommend.
  89. Jul 1, 2013
    I thought Half-Life was a standard 90's shooter...but then I played Alien Vs Predator (Classic 2000) and I saw how HL was so ahead of its time, both in controls and graphics. The game plays very similar to today's first person shooters, the graphics still hold up (in my opinion) and the story is quite nice, even though the storytelling suffers a bit from the lack of cutscenes or other waysI thought Half-Life was a standard 90's shooter...but then I played Alien Vs Predator (Classic 2000) and I saw how HL was so ahead of its time, both in controls and graphics. The game plays very similar to today's first person shooters, the graphics still hold up (in my opinion) and the story is quite nice, even though the storytelling suffers a bit from the lack of cutscenes or other ways of telling the story. You will simply not understand the story if you're not paying attention. Nice soundtrack, nice pacing...Overall, its a great game! 8/10. Expand
  90. Jun 18, 2013
    I'm never sure if the people who give games like this 0's are mentally handicapped or trolling. I hope it's the latter. I played half-life 2 in 2006ish. I was 15 years old. I loved Half-life 2. I'm now 22 and I just decided to buy half-life because idk, for whatever reason I just decided I had never played the first one and it was time. It was released in 1998 and I beat this game in 2I'm never sure if the people who give games like this 0's are mentally handicapped or trolling. I hope it's the latter. I played half-life 2 in 2006ish. I was 15 years old. I loved Half-life 2. I'm now 22 and I just decided to buy half-life because idk, for whatever reason I just decided I had never played the first one and it was time. It was released in 1998 and I beat this game in 2 days because it was that good. I couldn't stop playing the campaign. After 15 years of it's release, accounting for generational differences in games, it's a top 5 best game of all time. Expand
  91. Jun 13, 2013
    The best game I've played in my life, I never delve into a character much like Freeman, the story is very good and has something not very common, has no scene that can not interact with someone or something
  92. Jun 7, 2013
    Classic, all I can say is that Valve has brought the world something Magnificent and that sparked off later First Person Shooters such as Halo, Area 51, and even changed how Quake played. Not to mention the numerous mods such as Counter Strike, Team Fortress and Day of Defeat. The graphics were great for it's time, gameplay was fresh and orginial, and to top it all off, it was a gameClassic, all I can say is that Valve has brought the world something Magnificent and that sparked off later First Person Shooters such as Halo, Area 51, and even changed how Quake played. Not to mention the numerous mods such as Counter Strike, Team Fortress and Day of Defeat. The graphics were great for it's time, gameplay was fresh and orginial, and to top it all off, it was a game devolpers very first game. Half-Life cannot be missed by an PC Gamer and is still a must own for 2013, Please people, spend your money on the Half-Life series, support the Valve so they can give us other great titles like this. Expand
  93. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    Great storyline and awesome gameplay: fifteen years later, Half Life is still the game many "modern" FPSs would like to be. Maybe not the best game ever. but damn it's among the first five for sure.
  94. Jun 3, 2013
    Half-Life is an amazing action game, based around a simple but fun plot. You got aliens, right, but there's a little bit more to it than that. The variety of weapons, enemies, and level design is nothing short of spectacular. There's no chapter that outstays its welcome. It's a really old game now but honestly, the graphics will always be good enough to stand the test of time. You areHalf-Life is an amazing action game, based around a simple but fun plot. You got aliens, right, but there's a little bit more to it than that. The variety of weapons, enemies, and level design is nothing short of spectacular. There's no chapter that outstays its welcome. It's a really old game now but honestly, the graphics will always be good enough to stand the test of time. You are alone most of the time, and the game can be a little scary at times, I was too scared to play it when I was a kid (lol), but it shouldn't be a concern for any grownup. I will admit the last few chapters don't quite hold up to everything else beforehand, but they're still decent; and the conclusion of the game doesn't disappoint, it's quite mysterious (and a cliffhanger). The game is a 10/10 for people like me, but I don't expect everyone to feel the same way, because there's not much story, it's 99% action. Regardless, it's a must-play. Expand
  95. May 25, 2013
    This game is fun and addictive. It is a Sci-Fi game, which I love, and its by Valve so it can't be bad. The Graphics are good, considering that the game was from 1998. But if you look beyond graphics its a pretty good game. The story is easy to follow. I'm not going to say what it is in case I ruin anything. People talk to you and it feels realistic, the voice acting is also very wellThis game is fun and addictive. It is a Sci-Fi game, which I love, and its by Valve so it can't be bad. The Graphics are good, considering that the game was from 1998. But if you look beyond graphics its a pretty good game. The story is easy to follow. I'm not going to say what it is in case I ruin anything. People talk to you and it feels realistic, the voice acting is also very well done. Weapons vary and are each great. Gameplay is amazing, and will keep you hooked from The Desert to The Moon. Characters, there are not many that have a background but the ones that do each have a different roll. Its an amazing game, and I say buy this game. Expand
  96. sft
    May 22, 2013
    Gordon is definitely not a moron

Gordon is definitely not a moron

The Half-Life games are the thinking-person’s FPSs and the series is this reviewer’s favourite game franchise. The original game does look a bit dated by the standards of 2011 but bearing in mind that it was first released in 1998 it still looks pretty good, and in it’s day it was truly ground-breaking. It also used a physics engine that was the best of its time and an AI that performed far better than any other. Almost everything you could want is here: a good variety of environments, some satisfying puzzles, and some challenging combat. It also has, within the obvious limits of a shooter, a solid and engaging story. All of this makes for a game that keeps you entertained from start to finish and never outstays its welcome. Great stuff and it gets much much better with Half-Life
  97. May 3, 2013
    Half-Life is one of the best games ever made.

The action is set in the fictional Black Mesa Research Facility, where the player takes the role of Doctor Gordon Freeman, a Ph. D, MIT Theoretical Physics scientist. So the beginning is nothing really special, but the action itself begins only after the disaster. After being late, Gordon steps in his HEV Suit MK IV, and enters the chamber
    Half-Life is one of the best games ever made.

After being late, Gordon steps in his HEV Suit MK IV, and enters the chamber where they test a special crystal from a borderworld called Xen.

During the preparations, the scientist make a mistake by settings the Anti-Mass Spectrometer at 105% causing malfunction, and after inserting the crystal in the spectrometer, everything goes wrong.
    The machine doesn't respond and in the same time numerous alien creatures enter Earth and the facility through outnumbered portals opened during the incident.

After this Gordon must fight his way outside the facility, which is a hard job after the facility goes infested with aliens, and even more, zombies.

After seeing the disaster, the Marines are called to ,,clean,, the mess, and destroy the facility. Until the end of the game, Gordon rapidly becomes the prime target for the marines, who now must eliminate him, considering that the mess is only his fault, and eventually temporary captures him.

During the game, Gordon must solve puzzles, and is also helped on his way by security guards and scientist pinned down in the facility.

Until the end, Gordon makes his way in a last refuge of the remaining science team, where he finds out that the rocket(that he previously launched) didn't make full effect, and the portals were still kept opened from the other side.

As I already gave some spoilers, I won't reveal the next parts.

The game play is just pure awesomeness.

Gordon uses many real weapons such as mp5, 9mm Glock Pistol, Spas-12 Shotguns and others, to fight his way out the facility.

The AI is really good, the enemies aren't blindly attacking the player and other suicidal things, and using their own tactics to stop the player.

The game features some scripted sequences, that makes the game feel more cinematic, but not a ridiculous amount, and just where needed.

Also the game itself is linear, so there aren't many places you can miss during the game, but there are some, and still, even so, the game feels fluent, and the story doesn't really seem to be forced.

But even so, the game has a great replay value, and has a real memorable journey.

The graphics aren't ground-breaking, but even nowadays looks kind of decent, but outdated compared to others.

The game also features an both integrated, and separate multiplayer(the separate one is called Half-Life: Deathmatch), with no kind of plot, separate from the story, just in the same universe and just for fun, by being able to nuke some maps, where you must get in time inside the protected place to not get killed, but the game can also contain and be played on coop maps, in which you must complete the map's objective, solve puzzles, but also kill enemies here and there to progress.

Also due to the very friendly engine, the game can be very easily modded, by adding new maps, re-create the original weapons, sounds and more, or even make separate mods from the original game, which led to the creation of one of the biggest modding communities, most notable mods being Sven Co-Op, Black Operations, Life's End, but many many others.

There game also inspired a re-creation, called Black Mesa, being a total Source recreation of the original game, with same levels, but better physics, and graphics.

So my final word for the game is that is a masterpiece, with very little flaws(this ones being only bugs and minor glitches), and deserves to be played numerous times.
  98. May 1, 2013
    Half-life was and still is a great PC games, although it lacks the graphics, it's still the horror experience that was promised! I enjoyed every bit of it and the chills every time I played through the dark, quite, alien infested environment that gave you surprises lurking around every corner! Now this is what I call an FPS classic!
  99. Apr 20, 2013
    A game from 1998 still kicks some newer games' asses! Good old times playing this game! I've enjoyed every single bit of it, good environments, great story line, not that much variety of NPCs or Aliens though its enough. Its funny how it actually costs more than HL2 but well, its really worth it.
  100. Mar 26, 2013
    Dr. Freeman is a pretty cool game, he diagnosed me with ichthyophobia and doesn't afraid of anything. 8/10.

1. It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire genre, but Half-Life has done just that.
  2. The storyline runs in perfect harmony with the action and acts as a conduit not a stopgap, or a padding device. Each gaming element compliments the next and the entire presentation is nothing short of, well…dare we say it…revolutionary.
  3. PC Gamer
    This is The Big One, and it's even better than we could've hoped. [Jan 1999, p.166]