Halo: Combat Evolved PC

7.3

1. Dec 22, 2011
    I've played the single player multiple times and have enjoyed the game for the most part. It is a classic. It does have shortcomings though which make it a pass for anyone who has it on Xbox. The most fun I had with this game was LAN multiplayer with friends. Don't play public servers.
  2. May 23, 2011
    It may seem strange, but the thing that really stood out about Halo: Combat Evolved to me was the music. It's really, really good. Seriously. Check it out. Other than that, the gameplay is solid and feels tight. You've probably played games like this a hundred times before, but only because Halo did it first. Not as good as some other first person shooters, not even from that time, butIt may seem strange, but the thing that really stood out about Halo: Combat Evolved to me was the music. It's really, really good. Seriously. Check it out. Other than that, the gameplay is solid and feels tight. You've probably played games like this a hundred times before, but only because Halo did it first. Not as good as some other first person shooters, not even from that time, but definitely worth a play, if only because its classic status. Collapse
  3. Feb 10, 2012
    It's like Doom with better graphics, but not as good gameplay!
    The game is awesome in the first few levels but gets very hard at time!
    I strongly recommend!
  4. CarlC.
    Mar 1, 2007
    Good game for playing with your buddies. Did not find it challenging for clans. Not really hard for an FPS, more of a spray n pray kind of deal. No one really makes custom maps.
  5. Travis
    Oct 9, 2003
    This game has the slowest frame rate of any FPS I've seen. When I went out to test the game before I bought it the game was on an Alienware computer. Even when I was playing it on that it ran choppy. So i said ok maybe its a crappy computer(yea right!), so I'll tried it on mine. Ohhh boy did it suck 3 FPS and thats at the highest I got.
  6. RancornGore
    Oct 3, 2003
    So I got Halo and Freedom Fighters this week. First I played FF and was truly stunned by amazing graphics and the fantastic ability to actually command your fellow soldiers into action. That game is a true masterpiece imo! Then I started playing HALO,really high hopes for this one 2, because XBOX version was great and PC graphics could make it even better. But once I started playing it So I got Halo and Freedom Fighters this week. First I played FF and was truly stunned by amazing graphics and the fantastic ability to actually command your fellow soldiers into action. That game is a true masterpiece imo! Then I started playing HALO,really high hopes for this one 2, because XBOX version was great and PC graphics could make it even better. But once I started playing it was like going back in time. Graphics feel really dated and worst of all the framerates would only be appreciated by your grandmother.....It is NOT a bad game, its just that there are so many games today that are so much better, like e.g. Freedom Fighters or Chrome. HALO is most of all a really BAD conversion I think. I would not recommend anybody to encourage such activities by buing this game..... Expand
  7. Lutar
    Apr 19, 2008
    Average game. Nice graphics, really good plot. However, all the time you are in the same environment and shooting the same enemies which makes the game a bit boring after some time. Plot is the strongest aspect of this game.
  8. FidoMaster
    Nov 8, 2003
    Holy sh.t. Everyone who is bitching about the framerates on their GeForce f....ing TWOS should get a new f...ing computer, preferably one newer than 2001. That goes for you too, Mr. NVIDIA Vanta. The only people who have any right to complain about framerates are the people with actual computers, not silicon excrement. Jeeeeesus.
  9. JonathanS.
    Feb 18, 2004
    While a decent game it definitely disappoints me. I played it on a 1gh system with a Geforce 3 Ti 200, and it ran like crap. Then I upgraded to a 2.8gh w/ 1gb ram and Radeon 9800 pro and it runs fine. Extremely repetitive gameplay, ok story (we have heard the save the unverse thing to muc), and bad engine really bring this game down. On the upside are good multiplayer and the vehicles, While a decent game it definitely disappoints me. I played it on a 1gh system with a Geforce 3 Ti 200, and it ran like crap. Then I upgraded to a 2.8gh w/ 1gb ram and Radeon 9800 pro and it runs fine. Extremely repetitive gameplay, ok story (we have heard the save the unverse thing to muc), and bad engine really bring this game down. On the upside are good multiplayer and the vehicles, along with a fantastic ending. I only wish Bungie has stuck to the origonal idea before they decided to make it an Xbox game. Expand
  10. ComputerIlliterates!
    Nov 2, 2003
    With all settings cranked up to the Max, The game doesn't look bad at all. Anyone having system performance probably doesn't know how to tweak there system or update there drivers. Even my older a$$ computer can run this near perfect. To reply to the idiots here! Yes indeed you can play this above 60Hz, I have my refresh rate set at 100Hz! Anyone who has a Geforce FX 5200 and With all settings cranked up to the Max, The game doesn't look bad at all. Anyone having system performance probably doesn't know how to tweak there system or update there drivers. Even my older a$$ computer can run this near perfect. To reply to the idiots here! Yes indeed you can play this above 60Hz, I have my refresh rate set at 100Hz! Anyone who has a Geforce FX 5200 and has issues, Hmmmm I wonder why maybe because the FX Sucks, especially the 5200..... Expand
  11. Keith
    Oct 13, 2003
    I agree with all the comments about this being a VERY choppy game. I dont quite understand what the problem is, but Microsoft needs to get a patch out....QUICK! Other than the horrible frame-rate its a cool game.
  12. HungryMan
    Oct 5, 2003
    This is a pretty average game, allthough the storyline is great. I dont know why everyone is complaining about how slow it runs? Im only using P4 1.6GHZ 512mB pc2100 GF4mx440 and game runs at very decent rate at 1024 with details turned down. Maybe it's something to do with winXP(as i presume that's what most people are running) because it plays fine on ME.
  13. Brian
    Aug 20, 2007
    Simply put, Halo brought nothing to the table. In single player or multi-player. the game has its moments but niether single player nor multi-player required much skill. There was nothing "new" or "revolutionary" about it. It may be fun to play from time to time, but it is by no means a standard-setter.
  14. JeffR.
    Oct 1, 2003
    A medicore prt of a game that was never as good as it was hyped to be. if halo had not been the only good xbox game for over a year, if it had come out for PC as originally intended, it would never have been slathered in so much praise. this particular port, the final version of which i've been playing for a few days now, is incredibly disappointing - in my opinion the disappointmentA medicore prt of a game that was never as good as it was hyped to be. if halo had not been the only good xbox game for over a year, if it had come out for PC as originally intended, it would never have been slathered in so much praise. this particular port, the final version of which i've been playing for a few days now, is incredibly disappointing - in my opinion the disappointment of the year. it runs terribly even on my fairly good system (amd 2800, 1 gb ram, geforce 4 4800), so badly in fact that its only really playable at 640x480 with medium to low settings. on no available cards is it really capable of shining performance, which is absolutely ridiculous given the obscene amount of time gearbox had to optimize it. there is no excuse for this type of consumer-rape, and i'm appalled at the reviews this game is getting. thumbs down. Expand
  15. DawnRipper
    Oct 1, 2003
    I'll rate this at 9.9 - 100 if, just if, and if big daddy micro$oft didnt rush this game out before HL2. This game is just like unreal2 and matrix they rush this out ang we get bugs and bugs and bugs...
  16. PatrickS.
    Dec 20, 2003
    Level design was terrible! Did anybody else notice you just went from one area to another that looked exactly the same? The game was kind of short too, I beat it in a day so don't pay $50 for it. The game play was fun, I'm not gonna front, but the indoor levels were worst of all: boring, and the play just couldn't make up for it.
  17. JamesF.
    Sep 19, 2003
    I have a beta 1.5 version of this game for PC, and it still plays like it's on a console. The game was great for console, but I don't think Halo is gonna hold up amongst Half Life 2 and call of Duty and the other Q4 games. It was great on the console cause consoles have never had a good solid FPS, but as far as PC goes...we've seen better games, and I think people are gonna I have a beta 1.5 version of this game for PC, and it still plays like it's on a console. The game was great for console, but I don't think Halo is gonna hold up amongst Half Life 2 and call of Duty and the other Q4 games. It was great on the console cause consoles have never had a good solid FPS, but as far as PC goes...we've seen better games, and I think people are gonna realize it really quick. Expand
  18. RandallS.
    Mar 26, 2006
    An alright game. The graphics are good for it's age and so is the sound. I think the biggest error they made when making the game, is switching from fighting covenant to fighting the flood, which just pits you against hordes of little guys so all you do is spray fire most of the time. I'd much rather the flood was never incorperated in the game and you only fought covenant.
  19. AnonyomousAnonyomous
    Mar 4, 2008
    Pretty good game from time to time, not really that good for playing the whole day. But a really bad part about this is that it does NOT have anti-cheat protection, it has a little but not any protection against aim bots.
  20. Apr 15, 2015
    The game is not really that great. I had enough trouble with the game. Since the frame rate to the problems created by the game. .
  21. Jan 11, 2015
    Straight into the action as we try and escape the Pillar of Autumn by killing waves of the Covenant. The graphics do look dated but I still really enjoy this game and it is good to just switch it on and play for a bit. The missions are quite long and can feel repetitive after a while, but checkpoints are really useful, as it would be impossible to complete a level without checkpoints.
    Its
    Its good every once in a while to appreciate the older games. We are on the verge of playing Halo 5: Guardians, but we shouldn't forget the game that started it all
  22. May 23, 2011

1. The Xbox is all about high resolution graphics. The PC version outdoes the original with better graphics with hardly any loading time. The models are fairly good but the enormous amount of activity that occurs on-screen makes the graphics that much better.
  2. Surprisingly taxing even on very fast PCs with tons of RAM and the latest video cards. Halo for the PC also loses the original version's much-vaunted cooperative play mode. But in spite of all that, and in spite of the very high standards for first-person shooters on the PC, Halo is still an incredible action game. It's a true classic.
  3. A decent storyline, lots of NPC interaction, and graphics that you have to see to believe. Anyway, if you are even remotely a fan of FPS games, this is an absolute must have, and one hell of a ride.