• Publisher: Kalypso
  • Release Date: Mar 13, 2012
7.3

1. Sep 13, 2011
    Fast, brutal arcade shooter fun. Upgrades weapons, take down waves of mechanical monstrosities.
    Hard Rest pays homage to the old school shooter, if you liked games like Painkiller you will love this game.
    Great graphics, clever upgrade system and brutal difficulty. Only negative would be its extremely short 3-4 hour campaign.
  2. Sep 14, 2011
    Inccredible fun and great looking. A return to form for fast-paced PC shooters. Buy it so we can get more like this, developers like Flying Wild Hog are all too rare these days.
  3. Sep 13, 2011
    Just awesome! I've been playing this game non-stop since I got it on steam. Really fun, reminds me of the Doom days, even if the levels are linear. It's still a fun game with upgrades to your guns. Great PC Exclusive. Check it out!
  4. Sep 14, 2011
    - Little indie gem with visuals of AAA titles for millions $$$
    - Great cyberpunk-noir atmosphere.
    - Wonderfully built locations.
    - Incredible weapons upgrade system.
    - Fast gunplay with a bit of tactics.
    - Relentless and fun-to-kill enemies.
    - Good replay value with room for future DLCs
    - Reasonable price/value ratio.
  5. Sep 14, 2011
    Its nice to see such fluidity in the controls back into PC gaming. The fast pace hardcore is also a huge welcome. Hard reset's music queues usually send onslaughts of robots for you to dispose of.

Robots with range missiles, bowling ball robots, or bad ass robots that resemble the one seen in Judge Dredd The only gripe I have is the story line which clearly wasn't its main focus, and

The only gripe I have is the story line which clearly wasn't its main focus, and its easily forgiven given the game play provided. However given I bought it for 26$, the value provided compared to allot of 60$ titles is astounding.

I look forward to more titles from Wild Flying Hogs, they've done a fantastic job!

Do yourself a favor and pick up the title at 30$, you'll be supporting a developer who is dedicated to your platform and focused on value for your $.
  6. Sep 17, 2011
    Absolutely beautiful graphics and solid sound. Colors contrast and stand out against the backgrounds, I try to imagine I am running around in Bladerunner. Atmosphere is dark and edgy similar to some Unreal maps from back in the day. Animations have weight and move smoothly. While not as great as Painkiller or other hardcore shooters this game is refreshing to play.
  7. Sep 17, 2011
    I never like shooters , but this game i can't take my eye's off ! It's so smooth and the visuals are just outstanding i've played it all Crysis , FarCry they don't have those visuals ! Wonderful Game !
  8. Sep 14, 2011
    Even though this is Flying Wild Hog's first game. it made a good impression on me for this company. User clean interface, full throttle action combat, Importance of enviroment usage is unique elements for this game. If youre looking for some good action and avoidance combats you gotta get this. the only bad thing in game ended too soon. I've completed in 4 hours or so. This game surelyEven though this is Flying Wild Hog's first game. it made a good impression on me for this company. User clean interface, full throttle action combat, Importance of enviroment usage is unique elements for this game. If youre looking for some good action and avoidance combats you gotta get this. the only bad thing in game ended too soon. I've completed in 4 hours or so. This game surely deserve some expansions. Expand
  9. Sep 18, 2011
    Great-looking-fun-to-play game. Don't believe the 4 hrs walkthrough time - it took me good 8 hours of play on normal difficulty to finish this. Yes, you die plenty, but it's a great way of dying :)
  10. Sep 22, 2011
    Imagine "Michael Bay's Blade Runner". Now imagine yourself at the controls. That's what this game is like: non-stop explosive action in a gorgeous and compelling cyberpunk game environment from start to finish. From the moment you suck your first group of 10 robots together with a gravity grenade then blow them all into the sky with an adjacent explosive barrel, or disable them with anImagine "Michael Bay's Blade Runner". Now imagine yourself at the controls. That's what this game is like: non-stop explosive action in a gorgeous and compelling cyberpunk game environment from start to finish. From the moment you suck your first group of 10 robots together with a gravity grenade then blow them all into the sky with an adjacent explosive barrel, or disable them with an EMP pulse and then electrocute them with the NRG Blaster, you will be in love.

While the game is full of these adrenaline-fueled scenes of chaos (where seemingly everything in the environment can blow up and kill your enemies--or you), you will also experience moments of meditative peace as you explore the beautifully crafted city while being moved by a sublime soundtrack. When was the last time you played a game that encouraged you to find the secrets and presented you with a scoreboard at the end of each level? Hard Reset brings back mechanics like that to make a game that stands in stark contrast to the cutscene-filled "interactive movies" that modern FPS games have become.

Add to all this a dev team that has been implementing gameplay suggestions from the community and you have a winner that should get way more attention than it has. Buy this game.
  11. Sep 22, 2011
    Excellent game. Challenging battles that make you want to upgrade weapons and replay. great environment, and generally has an addictive quality as you try to minimise the amount of times you are killed. Could do with more upgrades for replays, and being a bit longer. not very good on sli systems - patch needed.
  12. Sep 15, 2011
    This game is absolutely horrible. Imagine Doom with only two weapons, a small variety of enemies and completely linear maps. There is little in way of player decision or choice save for what you upgrade: and even that is rather meh, because all the upgrades are simply plonked onto the same two weapons and are powered by the same two ammo types. Plotwise? In truth, I wish there wasn't aThis game is absolutely horrible. Imagine Doom with only two weapons, a small variety of enemies and completely linear maps. There is little in way of player decision or choice save for what you upgrade: and even that is rather meh, because all the upgrades are simply plonked onto the same two weapons and are powered by the same two ammo types. Plotwise? In truth, I wish there wasn't a plot, because what little plot there was was laughable and presented poorly. I thought the Max Payne noir-esque aesthetic interesting, but the comic art was not very well drawn, and contrasted jarringly and greatly with the in-game aesthetic, which was brighter and more colourful.

To be fair, I found the in-game aesthetic to be rather nice. A lot of detail went into the environments of the early maps: look up and you'll see wires dangling all over the place, with massive blimps crossing the skies above said wires and neonsigns. But that was pretty much it: it just looked nice, but did little more. The game simply didn't engage the player on a level, which was a great shame because the game, as a cyberpunk FPS, had potential.

All in all, I'll say it's a game that you should only get if you're a big fan of Doom, Unreal or other old-school shooters; and even then only when it's on discount.
  13. Sep 22, 2011
    Have you thought to yourself, "I'm getting sick and tired of these bulky space marines waddling in their corridors filled with waist-high obstacles, I sure wish someone would release an FPS with solid mechanics and an emphasis on the game play." If you have, Hard Reset is the thing you want.

It's pretty much everything a decent PC shooter should be. It's not going to hold your hand. It's

It's pretty much everything a decent PC shooter should be.
    It's not going to hold your hand. It's not going to play itself for you. It will challenge you, and boy is that refreshing in this endless stream of Gears of Duty: Waddling Space Marine Editions that have been rolling out non-stop for the past few years.

Sure, there might be 2 weapons. What the negative reviews "forgot" to mention is that each weapon has 10 different fire modes. That's right, 10. Making the total amount of weapons actually well above the average. And even if it didn't, the weapon modes in Hard Reset are SO FUN to use. You have your general array of plasma guns and rail guns and shotguns, but some of the modes are very original. For example the stasis grenade, which can freeze time around the impact point. Or the Smart Gun, which fires homing balls of plasma that can penetrate through walls.

The game is an absolute blast, and if you used to enjoy games like Unreal (or Unreal Tournament for that matter) or Quake, you most surely will enjoy Hard Reset.

PS. Do take note that I didn't even praise the graphics as that's not what makes this game stand out, but they are absolutely stellar. You'll be hard pressed to find a game that looks better.
  14. Sep 19, 2011
    the incompetence in reviewing this game and the way in which gamers approach this are mindboggling to me. excuse me but did ANYONE throw away modern warfare after running through the single player campaign on easy after 5 hours or so?!
    it is simply moronic to say a game is short that is designed with a) exploration and b) multiple playthroughs in mind! if you don't want to explore and don't want to try to upgrade your weapons and don't want to finish it in "ex game" mode - that's YOUR issue, not the game's. if you don't like it... fine. don't play the game. but it pisses me off to no end that these things (summed up as replayability) are barely even mentioned anywhere. everywhere, it's the same dumb "it's short".
    don't let that fool you and consider that these morons are often comparing hard reset to full price games! (i would also recommend reading the thread "4 hours my @ss, no way!" in the steam forum...)

aside from the fact that the length is perfectly fine for the price, the only things i would criticize about it is that the graphics are "just" good but nothing groundbreaking (which many comments made it sound like), that there is no quick save and the cut scenes feel pretty chaotic at times. i respect innovative story telling but it just feels like a bit sluggish writing to me. the look and atmosphere of them is great though.
    between that and the fun gameplay and the insane amount of upgrades (again - if you only run through it once, you probably won't even see all weapons!), this is a must have for any old school shooter (as in: quake, unreal, duke nukem 3d) fan!
  15. Sep 17, 2011
    A rather mediocre game that seems to be given more leniency than is usual simply because it's PC exclusive. There isn't a lot to see here, really. It definitely harkens back to the FPShooters of the past, but not entirely. Its gameplay is as simple and repetitive as the old shooters, but the level design is definitely modern in that it's mostly linear and scripted - essentially the worstA rather mediocre game that seems to be given more leniency than is usual simply because it's PC exclusive. There isn't a lot to see here, really. It definitely harkens back to the FPShooters of the past, but not entirely. Its gameplay is as simple and repetitive as the old shooters, but the level design is definitely modern in that it's mostly linear and scripted - essentially the worst of both worlds for me. This definitely isn't the boost of adrenaline the FPS genre needs (which is how a few people I've met have described it) but at this point I don't know what is. Runnin' and gunnin' has never made for great gameplay, at least for me. Expand
  16. Sep 23, 2011
    This game delivers not only the most pretty picture of all shooters at the moment ( I personally was impressed way more than with Crysis 2 or any other FPS), but much more - this is true old school spinal shooter. This is the Quake 2011. And I looove this.

The only small unimportant annoyances I didn't like were lack of quicksaving (able to be implemented through console bindings anyway, and even I'd say not required, as checkpoints are set quite smart not to enrage be after death) and ugly comic strips delivering indistinct story script.

This team will go far, I believe. Buy game, support the, and we will get another id.
  17. Sep 22, 2011
    When they said, that this game is going to be like old-school fps, I thought it's some cheap buzz, but they succeed. It's fun, and fast-paced game. There is TEN guns, with few types of ammo. Campaign is rather short, about 7h, but it's really enjoyable.
    And the best in this game is really good graphics, I hope more developers make pc exclusives, because playing some horrible looking games on FHD just burn my eyes.
    Sound effects should be tweaked, but if don't mind few glitches it's ok.
  18. Sep 19, 2011
    Its pretty, fast-paced and fun as hell. Hard Reset is an inexpensive indie video game made by people who love old shooters. Its deceptive because the game looks and feels so good that you think that you're in a full-blown main stream video game but hopefully anyone with a brain will realize that anything that is lacking in this game is because there really wasn't a big corporate budget toIts pretty, fast-paced and fun as hell. Hard Reset is an inexpensive indie video game made by people who love old shooters. Its deceptive because the game looks and feels so good that you think that you're in a full-blown main stream video game but hopefully anyone with a brain will realize that anything that is lacking in this game is because there really wasn't a big corporate budget to back it. Look up the company that made the game, Flying Wild Hog and you'll see that they've never made anything else. As soon as people started talking about this game I dove right into looking up information about it and when I found out that it was made by developers pretty much on their free time I knew the game wasn't going to be Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I've never had so much fun on a brand-new $30 PC game. Don't let some of these knuckle draggers bring you down, its good mindless fun, just don't go in expecting Call of Duty, its a 30 dollar video game. Expand
  19. Sep 27, 2011
    A gorgeous looking, amazingly fun, fast and addictive game, it's a must-have for any fans of the Painkiller series. The only downside is it's quite short.
  20. Dec 13, 2011
    Imo, when an indie dev needs to make compromises, the first things that need to go are voice acting, music, & high-end graphics. The one area that should not be compromised is gameplay, and thats where this game fails for me. I mean super meatboy looked like ass, but the game play was clever and fun, the reverse is true here.

The controls get flaky when action heats up, terrible

The controls get flaky when action heats up, terrible lighting (I'm a military grade security cyborg, but I cant work a flashlight so I have to stumble around in the dark???), dumbass invisible walls EVERYWHERE, dumbass gates that remain locked only to stop the game from being 20 minutes long, check points only (ugg) that force you to repeatedly play boring sections, poor weapon upgrade paths that if you choose 'wrong' make it impossible to kill every boss, very limited number of types of enemies...

The game could have been really really good, you know Blade Runner meets Terminator. But the huge number of compromises that were made because of budget restrictions or whatever to the gameplay render the game dull and frustrating. Maybe they could have spent less on music, actors, and graphics and a little more on gameplay dev. Nonetheless, I'm glad an indie shooter PC only game was released in 2011 and I'm glad I could support them with my $15. Bring on the new and improved Hard Reset II!
  21. Sep 16, 2011
    It's a fun but short FPS. The story is a little underdeveloped and the levels a little too linear. The comics however were interesting and I liked the environments, there is a lot of detail. Overall it's a quick and amusing game, not great but not bad for the money.
  22. Sep 13, 2011
    We all love painkiller. This is NOT painkiller. Mid-level outdated visuals (besides very colorful and flashing and sparkling and damn I can't see sh** and it's fun), some silly script in comics, ridiculous length (not so ridiculous price though), only two guns - one shoot lead and other shoot sparks (not so original, eh?). Where's the REAL old-school BFG? Where's the arsenal of fun toys toWe all love painkiller. This is NOT painkiller. Mid-level outdated visuals (besides very colorful and flashing and sparkling and damn I can't see sh** and it's fun), some silly script in comics, ridiculous length (not so ridiculous price though), only two guns - one shoot lead and other shoot sparks (not so original, eh?). Where's the REAL old-school BFG? Where's the arsenal of fun toys to kill bad guys with? Not to mention strange map-design - tunnels of invisible walls, lack of physics (and I mean it) and all this first-timers failures. Game is fun while it lasts (5 hours, or maybe 8 if you wanna beat it two times). and then... Go play Painkiller. Expand
  23. Sep 27, 2011
    This game came from another dimension.

This game came from another dimension.

There are three FPS games which shaped the whole genre. After Half-Life FPS games started adding dialogues. Almost every FPS after Stalker had RPG elements. And finally Call of Duty made FPS more casual. Now, imagine the world where these three games were never made. Hard Reset was made in this world. It denies all the cliches and instead gives you a good, old-school FPS, allowing you to carry around tons of weapons (technically, there's only two, but they both have five different modes) and fight giant bosses. In short, if you're kinda person who spent hours killing monsters in the original Doom and now is waiting to enjoy Serious Sam 3, this game is definitely "must have" for you.
  24. Oct 3, 2011
    This is a boring mindless repetitive shooter with a story that it meaningless to the game and you can even skip it. You shoot machines. They are alien and bad and come in waves at you. Shooting at the machines can be fun at times especially that the graphics are quite nice and game is well optimized. It will probably run with no problems even on older pc. But the locations are overThis is a boring mindless repetitive shooter with a story that it meaningless to the game and you can even skip it. You shoot machines. They are alien and bad and come in waves at you. Shooting at the machines can be fun at times especially that the graphics are quite nice and game is well optimized. It will probably run with no problems even on older pc. But the locations are over utilized. You just find yourself spending too much time in the one location. Gave up at 5 as I find myself just wanting to finish the game and forget about it. There are some many better games out there. Go get something better. Spend your precious time with a better game. Expand
  25. Jan 3, 2012
    Surprisingly good game. Good choice of weapons and system for acquiring more health/ammo was somewhat unique and worth checking out. Not much of a plot line and very hard to follow. However, this is an excellent shooter with plenty of challenging enemies. Give this one a try. It's a good value for the price.
  26. Sep 22, 2011
    The two weapon models are upgradable and interchange between many weapon types, beautiful aesthetics of a grubby cyber punk environment with a PC optimised engine and a cheaper selling price make Hard Reset a must buy, and Flying Wild Hog a must support if we want more.

The campaign is quite short, but very satisfying for it's price, HR is an enjoyable, challenging, throwback to old style shooters, without the useless frills of modern FPS's.
  27. Sep 28, 2011
    Great shooter. Basically its not a game for everyone, as I believe, but if you are looking for old school shooter here is one of the best. Game as overall is very nicely done - great physics, graphics, weapons and aggressive AI. Everyone is complaining about story but... Well I haven't mind it during my 1st playthrought, but after that I just wanted to dig a little, and understand itsGreat shooter. Basically its not a game for everyone, as I believe, but if you are looking for old school shooter here is one of the best. Game as overall is very nicely done - great physics, graphics, weapons and aggressive AI. Everyone is complaining about story but... Well I haven't mind it during my 1st playthrought, but after that I just wanted to dig a little, and understand its meaning - and its also quite nice - small additional flavor to overall experience.

But most of all this game is all about having fun. Gameplay just feel right, its all very intense except for some moments when you can take the breath an immerse yourself with this futuristic vision. Also it looks like devs will be supporting it for a while - as least I hope to get some additional content soon.
  28. Oct 8, 2011
    Epic PC-only FPS! Puts Rage and Deus Ex to shame. No crappy console port compares to the qulity of this project developed by a small company. Flying Wild Hog, you, guys, rule!
  29. Oct 11, 2011
    This is an excellent old school shooter . It's fast, brutal, good looking and hard like the old days. It's incredible how critic don't know **** about games. What the heck were people waiting, your Call Of ****ty game? This a shooter from the old times and it delivers exactly that. Keep up the good work Flying Wild Hog
  30. Sep 29, 2011
    Great graphics and cyber-punk atmosphere, gorgeous old style shooter in a brand new look. Little short but fun. What surely is missing is a big sign after the final boss: "TO BE CONTINUED". Looking forward to see the next episode/dlc or HR2 :)

1. Apr 27, 2012
    Hard Reset isn't a bad game, but it's rote old school sensibility has passed me by. I don't have the same kind of reflexes I did 5 or 10 years ago to properly appreciate the twitch elements, so maybe I have to take some responsibility on that front. For me, Hard Reset is unremarkable because it seems about 5 years too late for me.
  2. Nov 17, 2011
    Hard Reset also does a lot of cool things in games that I wish we'd see more of, and it does them well. Interfacing with fictional computer terminals is fun, and scoping the strong art direction does a lot to set the game in a fairly original virtual setting.
    Short life span but budget price – this science-fiction inspired first person shooter has a lot to offer with stunning visuals and perfect old-school playability. Pity there's not a multiplayer option. [Nov 2011]