6.3

1. Aug 21, 2014
    Hearthstone is... a troubled title, to say the least. On the first hand, you have a card game that's clearly better than all the rest, and well done. It gives a good first impression. It runs well. It looks well. All of the cards are recognizable from the WoW source material that they are drawn from. The UI is convenient. It doesn't do any stupid crap like having cards sidewaysor upsideHearthstone is... a troubled title, to say the least. On the first hand, you have a card game that's clearly better than all the rest, and well done. It gives a good first impression. It runs well. It looks well. All of the cards are recognizable from the WoW source material that they are drawn from. The UI is convenient. It doesn't do any stupid crap like having cards sidewaysor upside down like certain other games(No idea why they do that, quite stupid for a video game where 2 players are not sharing the same monitor). It even allows you to disenchant unwanted cards to build up a dust supply to eventually craft what you do want, something other games don't have. This is a real game seller. Those other crappy card games just expect you to lottery until you get what you want, to hell with copies or cards you don't want piling up.

But on the other hand, you have a game that is being treated very poorly by its developer's. Not only is the balance in the game non existent because it focuses on a meta instead(Blizzard openly admits this)... but It's now over run with bots that they still refuse to do anything about. Bots are farming this game day and night now, so don't be surprised when you fight the same exact bot decks again and again. The bots have even infested the forum now, creating a slew of garbage spam threads every single night that persist until they're pushed off the next morning by real posters. Blizzard couldn't care less about these issues. They don't even use their own forum most of the time, opting instead to go to social networking sites such as Twitter or Facebook. That means that instead of caring about the users they have, they care only about drawing more in, which is the overall feel of the game. It's one big cash grab of a product, probably made solely to draw in revenue which they're now no doubt using on Heroes of the Storm instead of using it to improve Hearthstone.

The competitive play for the game is in shambles because of it's non existent balance. Every player with a class runs the same exact build because, when you run a meta, that's how it works. They all run what is best, to hell with anything else. If you come into this expecting a balanced game... you're going to be gravely disappointed. Half of the cards in this game are garbage no one uses or has any reason to use, while a small fraction are best and auto slotted into every deck. Many players like myself(1k+ posts) have spent all year trying to talk Blizzard into fixing this game, including all problems I've pointed out here, and we've only gotten deaf ears turned to us. As usual with Blizzard games, the months roll by and little to no problems are actually addressed. They take the game down for entire days to apply no patches, or patch with 1 or 2 lines in the patch log that didn't fix anything people were trying to get them to look at for months on end.

The biggest thing they did for the game this year was add Naxx, which basically just hands out a slew of cards very cheaply to anyone that wants them. Naxx is an all around bust in my opinion. It's too cheap to enter, too easy to beat, then has no reason to even replay it once you got all the cards. The only difficulty even in this "adventure" is Heroic Mode, which makes the bosses impossibly difficult without tailor made decks to beat them. And what's your reward for all the trouble? Nothing. You get nothing for beating every boss on Heroic except a card back no one cares about. It needed a middle ground, instead of having a "too easy" mode that hands out all the cards, and a "too hard" mode that gives you nothing for your trouble. Bust. Just a bust. Replayability would have helped, but there is none for it. After doing all of Naxx, I finally decided to retire. I've waited long enough for Blizzard to do something with this title, anything other than treating it like a lottery machine.

I should point out the embarrassing Kel Thuzad voice acting. What used to be an evil Lich is now a clown cracking jokes for bored children at a birthday party. That sets the overall tone and disappointing nature of the game perfectly.

But like all controversial games with nothing but biased fanboy or hater reviews; it's both over rated and under rated. Speaking from an objective point of view, it's not a bad game, it just isn't as great as it easily could have been if Blizzard cared at all about it. I'd like to point out that despite what a lot of ignorant people say, it is not P2W either. You can competitive with cheap decks; it's been proven time and time again. The debate about this has been beaten to death, with threads made nearly every day trying to convince you one way or the other. I've been competitive myself and never put in more than 10$. So I can't really thumbs this up or down; I'm just going to leave it up to you as I retire. In summery Hearthstone is a decent enough card game, but it's easy to be disappointed when you look at all the wasted potential.
    -Drain (Steam)
  2. Mar 12, 2014
    I usually play Hearthstone while waiting for other things to load or just when I want to play something short. The game is fairly casual there's no real pressure to win other than you can accumulate gold. I find it relaxing to just play without stressing out. One of the negative things is the fact that you can pay to dominate. Buying the $50 card pack will make your decks ridiculouslyI usually play Hearthstone while waiting for other things to load or just when I want to play something short. The game is fairly casual there's no real pressure to win other than you can accumulate gold. I find it relaxing to just play without stressing out. One of the negative things is the fact that you can pay to dominate. Buying the $50 card pack will make your decks ridiculously good. Also, like any card game luck has to do with how well you do which can get annoying or make you laugh hysterically when you get just the right cards to wreck your opponent. All in all worth checking out as it costs you nothing. Expand
  3. Oct 14, 2014
    Lack of cards, and everyone just runs the same kind of decks later in the game! so its just a luck and count wich cards your opponent already used game!
  4. Jul 14, 2014
    Great little card game, needs way more frequent updates and new cards from Blizzard though because as is you will get burned out fast seeing the same cards and decks over and over.
  5. Dec 2, 2014
    I previously scored this game much higher then now. The reason I lowered the score (7/10 previously) is because Blizzard continues to make the game much more pay to win and increasingly difficult for free to play gamers to break through. Basically with the actual trend on the horizon there is no way for a free to play gamer to do anything besides sitting in lower ranks and play highlyI previously scored this game much higher then now. The reason I lowered the score (7/10 previously) is because Blizzard continues to make the game much more pay to win and increasingly difficult for free to play gamers to break through. Basically with the actual trend on the horizon there is no way for a free to play gamer to do anything besides sitting in lower ranks and play highly unbalanced and frustrating matches. Why is that ?

If you want to be competitive you need decks from different sets (Naxxranas, Expert and the new GvG). You need to spend 3500 gold for Naxx, about 6000 gold for expert packs and something like 4000 gold for the new expansion deck. Assuming that on average you get 50-60 gold daily it would take you several months of farming the gold while experiencing unpleasant and unbalanced matches where you have to face players that spend a lot of money on cards. It means that in the farming meantime (about half a year) they will launch yet another expansion that will leave free player even further behind (more money to farm whil you are still behind). It is impossible to catch up. That's what the game looks like. If you want to compete with other players you have to pay. I do not like the idea of games that are based on this model. There are better and actually free to play games where you do not see this money based match up because Hearthstone is all about money.

This game is no longer for me as I prefer to support other gaming companies.
  6. Apr 21, 2014
    For starters, this game is an extremely simplified version of Magic: The Gathering. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since it brings in a bigger userbase, but I think I would enjoy the game more if it was just a little deeper. As such, that's not really what I'm docking many points for.

What I am mostly docking points for is how pay-to-win the game is - easily the most so that I have ever played. Grinding for cards takes a long time, and you can't really compete without legendaries in Hearthstone. This wouldn't be that bad if the matchmaking system prevented such unequal matchups, but as a beginner you'll often be paired up with people who've spent money to acquire much better cards. Expect to spend some decent cash if you want to have a decent chance.
  7. Apr 28, 2014
    This game is good in theory.. Well done and with good features which make this game fun, but in practice this game is so much UNBALANCED.. One of the most unbalanced games i've ever seen, the combination of all decks together in the game-play makes this game a little bit annoying and so much boring and a real Pay to Win game in definition.
  8. May 5, 2014
    Fun card game with gameplay that relies on luck as much as skill, and gives a massive advantage to those that are willing to pay for the most powerful cards or play for a huge number of hours and hope for a lucky drop. A very shrewd P2W business model that is no doubt benefiting Blizzard nicely. However, I view it as dishonest and exploitative that sours the play experience.
  9. Apr 27, 2014
    The game itself is fun, but the grind is annoyingly slow, making it hard to keep me interested. You get 10 gold every THREE wins. It costs 100 gold to buy a pack of FIVE new cards. So every 30 wins, you get 5 new cards. I feel like I am playing with the same cards and against the same cards constantly, it just gets a bit boring and lacks the fun of building and customizing new decks, as IThe game itself is fun, but the grind is annoyingly slow, making it hard to keep me interested. You get 10 gold every THREE wins. It costs 100 gold to buy a pack of FIVE new cards. So every 30 wins, you get 5 new cards. I feel like I am playing with the same cards and against the same cards constantly, it just gets a bit boring and lacks the fun of building and customizing new decks, as I feel I have no options to choose from. Of course you can pay to win and just buy a ton of virtual booster packs for a pretty penny, but where's the fun in that? If you got 10 gold for every win, it'd probably keep me hooked, but as of now, I don't plan on playing it anymore. Expand
  10. Jun 1, 2014
    Ok, given the ridiculously high 'critic review' score, I *have* to review this one. I dutifully played this with my son - and it's painfully bad. I cannot imagine who anyone could give it more than 5, if they were in a generous mood.

First, you have a weirdly limited set of cards (which you can buy with real money, basically - that's nothing new, but let's not say Blizzard is above micro-transactions anymore, please) You have the potential for class strategy, which is undercut by the limited nature of the game mechanics.

It's a lesser Magic/ Yu-Gi-Oh, without the strategy & fun. I guess it's there to be simple & mindless, and it's dependent on PvP. You can't play against friends (for progress - you can for - no good reason)

It's just annoying to see critics lauding something that *really* doesn't deserve it.
  11. Mar 18, 2014
    Rule is very simple and easy to learn. Even if you're a beginner of TCG, you can play this game excitingly with out "learning curve"

Despite of many fascinating things. but there is a sort of limit to enjoy the game deeply. It depends on "luck" so much than any other card games. and its simpleness made the game less strategic. If you are a person who love TCG like "MTG" or "YUGIOH"

If you are a person who love TCG like "MTG" or "YUGIOH" , HearthStone might not able to satisfy you.
  12. Apr 29, 2014
    Fine but really it is too shallow to be called a tcg.
    Almost entirely RNG, can use skill but all of your work can be randomly negated by a single card most times.
    I still play it though...
    I hate UTH soooooo much!!!
  13. Mar 14, 2014
    Hearthstone is a pretty much 'okay' game but really nothing more. The lack of many gameplay mechanics makes it a linear experience. After the first day when everything feels fresh and is fun I caught myself losing motivation playing it. That's not because it it a bad game there is just not enough variety like in other TCGs.
  14. Apr 25, 2014
    The game is definitely pay to win and quite a grind if you don't. It's frustrating to play a lengthy, evenly matched game and the other player starts dropping huge legendaries on you. I've bought about 30 packs with gold and rm. I've gotten 1 legendary out of all that, and not a useful one. So either other people are spending a fortune or I've got really bad luck. You'll also realize thatThe game is definitely pay to win and quite a grind if you don't. It's frustrating to play a lengthy, evenly matched game and the other player starts dropping huge legendaries on you. I've bought about 30 packs with gold and rm. I've gotten 1 legendary out of all that, and not a useful one. So either other people are spending a fortune or I've got really bad luck. You'll also realize that once you reach rank 18 it get's extremely difficult to advance unless you buy cards. The regular cards you earn through play just don't cut it. Expand
  15. Mar 22, 2014
    How much you like Hearthstone is going to be dependant upon how casual you like you CCG experience to be, or to restate it, how favorably/unfavorably you view the word "accessibility" in reference to multiplayer games.

It should be no surprise for a Blizzard entry to focus on producing a highly polished and user-friendly game that allows for players of all ages and skill levels to play. This is not the easy to learn, but hard to master template, but easy to play, easy to master, with a good deal of luck determining who will win barring glaring errors in judgement.

It is simple fun, matches are relatively short, and there is a good amount of humorous references to keep WoW players entertained.

Now if you are looking for something in terms of a CCG challenge to highlight your player's edge, this isn't the real thing.

For self-proclaimed CCG hardcores - 5 or less (i.e you'll shortly uninstall it)
    For people new to CCG's and/or who want a stress-free, fun way to pass time - 8 or more
  16. Mar 19, 2014
    Wonderful concept held down by the pay to win nature of the game.

The only enjoyable the thing about this game is the Arena, which is pretty well balanced, and loads of fun.
  17. Mar 16, 2014
    Being free, I can't complain too much. The game is certainly of high quality and well made, and fun for short relaxing sessions every now and again, but it gets old really fast, especially when you are playing against people who have the money to drop on overpowered cards. Its essentially a pay to win game, which is really unfortunate, because I WANT to like it really bad.
  18. Mar 16, 2014
    Average game, that is fun for a couple of minutes but gets boring pretty fast. Also even for a TCG it's too depended on luck, making the games a coinflip. Most decisions are also without any alternative making the gameplay itself stale rather quickly.

Blizzard keeps following the mantra "Easy to learn, easy to master", which again results in a game that just doesn't motivate playing beyond the duration it's designed for - a couple of hours.
  19. Mar 17, 2014
    This game is thoroughly mediocre. Magic has massively more strategic depth than it has; this game is quite shallow, primarily due to its lack of interactivity. You act, then your opponent acts, then you go again, back and forth, and the inability to interact during your opponent's turn, while it is a reasonable decision from the point of view of speeding up the game, really makes the gameThis game is thoroughly mediocre. Magic has massively more strategic depth than it has; this game is quite shallow, primarily due to its lack of interactivity. You act, then your opponent acts, then you go again, back and forth, and the inability to interact during your opponent's turn, while it is a reasonable decision from the point of view of speeding up the game, really makes the game a lot more shallow.

The net effect is that the game is more of a diversion than something which is actually all that deep; it tries to addict you with various Pavlovian methods, but in the end the lack of interactivity means that while playing against other players rather than the AI makes the game more difficult, it doesn't create a fundamental difference in how fun the game actually is to play, which is to say, a little, but not very.

Not worth your time, and certainly not worth your money; if you like Magic, you'll find this a disappointingly shallow imitation which is a lot less fun; if you don't like Magic, then you certainly won't like a disappointingly shallow imitation. Yes, it is ostensibly free (and really, you can play it for free if you're patient enough), but the amount of time you spend on it in favor of something else is a real cost, and that time you'll never get back.
  20. Apr 22, 2014
    As fun it is, some decks are definitely overpowered compared to others. There are certain other drawbacks, like the game is not rewarding enough for your efforts, card gains are limited if you don't pay for anything. We know that Blizzard has a taste to charge people for extras but that system just blew up with D3 Auction House. I wonder why they still create a "pay to win" style gameAs fun it is, some decks are definitely overpowered compared to others. There are certain other drawbacks, like the game is not rewarding enough for your efforts, card gains are limited if you don't pay for anything. We know that Blizzard has a taste to charge people for extras but that system just blew up with D3 Auction House. I wonder why they still create a "pay to win" style game while their experiences should have urged them otherwise. Expand
  21. May 7, 2014
    This game is quite fun to play at first,but after a few days playing,it just turn out to be a really shallow game.Strategics are useless in playing hearthstone,as the card drawing system is COMPLETELY random.So, no matter how much time and effort spent in building your deck,it just comes down to luck when you are actually playing.

It is not a typical P2W game as you must invest a vast

It is not a typical P2W game as you must invest a vast amount of money to make the difference and i believe only a minority of players are willing to pay a lump sum.This is because this game is based purely on luck.You can have 3 LEGENDARY cards, but they may all be lying right at the bottom of your deck so you may not even see them when you are being crushed and gang bang by your opponents minion.Based on my own experience(i have 1 lvl 16 hero and 5 other >lvl 10 heroes),players with legendary cards are very rare,only about 1 in 10 players possess legendary cards.

What makes this card game bad is the lack of strategies,all you need is LUCK LUCK LUCK.Anyway, i think this is a fixable problem and Blizzard should make modifications to its game-playing mechanisms,or many players will leave this game after a few weeks of playing as it is getting boring.

I really hope that Blizzard can make some improvements because this can be one of the best online CCG.I am not giving it a negative score just because the graphics and gameplay are really nice.The cards are also well-designed.
  22. Mar 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hearthstone is the most deceptively balanced game i have ever played. Hearthstone starts you off by giving a simple and fun tutorial, then gradually puts you through the games own personal quests that reward you with points to buy card packs in the shop to further increase your card library. Then Hearthstone introduces online play against other players, ranked or not depending on your choice, then faces you against other players somewhat equivalent to your level. This is where the game begins to be even more fun then it is. Eventually as you progress though battles and levels you will soon start to realize that there are certain overpowered cards within the game that simply destroy every possible strategy conceived to the human mind just by paying a mana cost of seven or less, in which most games don't end until both yours and your foes mana count is at at least 9 or to the limit of 10. you will soon find yourself in an array of multiple poorly beginning hands which is drawn by random and cards drawn by your personally customized or game built deck, which is also randomly picked. It is only a matter of time until you figure out that you must pour actual dollar after dollar in the game just to buy the card packs to hope to get these overpowered cards and hope to win which really comes down to more luck than skill at a certain point. What the developers tried to do was well worth it in my opinion, from the hero getting points and equipment, to the automatic upgrading mana system, but that simply does not save the game from the anathmatizing and unmagnanimous balancing flaws from luck obtaining the cards from the bought card packs, or the cards drawn during the game. Expand
  23. Jun 7, 2014
    Hearthstone is entertaining, but it lacks the tactical depth of card games like Magic: The Gathering. The game mechanics have been dumbed down to make the games faster and I think that was a bad decision. It also sucks that Blizzard make changes to the cards and don't notify you about it, so suddenly you're wondering why your cards are different. They should mark cards that have beenHearthstone is entertaining, but it lacks the tactical depth of card games like Magic: The Gathering. The game mechanics have been dumbed down to make the games faster and I think that was a bad decision. It also sucks that Blizzard make changes to the cards and don't notify you about it, so suddenly you're wondering why your cards are different. They should mark cards that have been changed in the deck overview. Expand
  24. Mar 12, 2014
    It's fun for just few hours until you realize that you need thousand of hours of grindfest to have decent cards.
    It's both for casual and enthusiast player, and this it's not a real advantage because it could be very frustrating at the beginning.
    Grindfest or credit card to have fun. Not for me thanks.
  25. Apr 6, 2014
    Look, I love Hearthstone, but the balancing of the game, and the optimisation for Win8.1 just isn't there. Certain classes stick out for being the best, and they are the ones everyone plays (Rouge, Paladin, Druid), and the game is barely playable on Win8.1 due to lag issues, there are also a lot of unbalanced cards.

C'mon Blizz...
  26. Mar 13, 2014
    Hearhstone is pretty fun and has the potential to be one of the most popular multi-player games like Dota2 or LOL. Of course it is a CCG, but its professional art design and well-balanced gameplay really shows it is a Blizzard game, like the classic WOW, Starcraft and Warcraft 3.
    However, like what they said in the ads, the game is "deceptively" simple. Yeah, it looks simple, but it is not. It is extremely hard for new players who just enter the game. I started playing the game around closed Beta, even back then I lost 9 of my first 10 games. Now it is even worse. More and more players have large card collections, the newbies are gonna suffer for a long time. Of course it is possible to play extremely well with limited card collection like what Trump did, but you'll need to spend a huge amount of time in the Arena before being able to do so. For a new player, it is impossible to play well without spending money on overpriced cards. This is what they call "pay to win".
    The game is also pretty time consuming. Yeah each game is short indeed, but you'll need to spend hundreds of hours to master it.
    All of these above sounds pretty much like Dota, right? Unlike LOL or WOW, both Hearthstone and Dota has steep learning curves. However, unlike Dota, Hearthstone is too luck-based. Sometimes your just can't draw the right cards in the first few rounds, and can only watch your opponent plays all his/her combo. Sometimes you just keeps getting duplicated cards from opening decks. Too much time is wasted on bad luck. Players can rarely feel they deserve the bad draw/lose game. Even worse, some of these unlucky situations happened because of the bugs in game mechanic. e.g. Nat Pagle used to only have 25% chance to draw a card.
    All in all, do not think this is a simple and not-time-consuming game. It can be casual and pretty fun, but be prepared to spend time and money if you want to play well or try those legendary cards.
  27. Mar 28, 2014
    Since it comes from blizzard and it's free,and they dumbed down all their games in last 5-10 years,you should try it.Cards are fun to play,game is pay to win,but i still had some fun with it.Only 500 cards,the game needs at least 2500 to be competitive,after some time it gets boring cause of this.If they reduce price for packs,or allow players to get more gold i'll gladly come back,but forSince it comes from blizzard and it's free,and they dumbed down all their games in last 5-10 years,you should try it.Cards are fun to play,game is pay to win,but i still had some fun with it.Only 500 cards,the game needs at least 2500 to be competitive,after some time it gets boring cause of this.If they reduce price for packs,or allow players to get more gold i'll gladly come back,but for now,it's just waste of time... Expand
  28. May 3, 2014
    I played Magic: The Gathering for nearly 10 years when I was a bit younger, and decided to give Hearthstone a try. After 3 months or so, here's my opinion - make of it what you will: It's a mediocre card game with great art that locks off the best parts of the game to encourage you to spend money.

There are 3 Game Modes (and no plans to implement more anytime soon - so says the Devs):

Arena - Basic draft. Choose random cards to build a deck and face off against the same. Fun, good mental exercise. This mode requires 150 Gold or some cash to enter, though, and can't be played every day by Free players.

Casual - Build a deck from your collection, face off against random people who've done the same. Good for testing out new ideas.

Ranked - Build a deck from your collection, face off against random people of the same rank. Unfortunately, since you earn Gold in all 3 and there's no punishment for down-ranking (by instantly conceding) in "Ranked" play - that does mean that once you pop into the "real world" against more mature decks at Rank 20 ( >20 you're facing off against other newbies exclusively) you're likely to be pounded right into the ground from much more experienced players Farming newbies to get gold. This is a problem, and has remained unaddressed.

The card diversity is severely lacking for having 9 Classes. At this time, with the Naxx adventure (which hasn't been released), the card library hovers around 420. In comparison, at the same point in its public life, MtG (Magic: the Gathering) had 850+ spread amongst 5 classes.

The deck requirement is 30. No more, no less. When combined with the lack of card diversity, the 30 card deck makes for quick games - but also very, very predictable decks (and thus, predictable games) in Ranked play as each class strives to be the most efficient with its deck slots.

The efficiency issue involves the pretty notorious "Legendary" issue. That is, the card ranks (Common / Uncommon / Rare / Epic / Legendary / Class-specific) don't always reflect how efficient they are, but in general Legendaries are better than their same-costing counterparts. They either affect the game in a major way, have a high Attack/Defense stat for their cost, or usually both. Thus, for a given card slot, a Legendary is usually the most efficient card you can have. Legendary cards are not a "WIN" button, and mature decks without them can usually hand 2-3 Legendaries without much fuss - but at higher ranks the efficiency problem really becomes apparent when both decks are mature and both people are excellent at their decision making.

This wouldn't be such an issue if the Crafting mechanics were better (or you could just outright buy specific cards - you can't), but as-is to Craft a Legendary/Epic/Rare/Uncommon it takes 1600/400/100/40. The same cards would also "Disenchant" for 400/100/20/5 Dust, and you cannot trade cards with other players.

So at this point you're probably wondering why I say it's "Mediocre" instead of "Terrible". Where are the up-sides?

Well, the art (as par for the course for Blizzard) is great. It's enjoyable to "play" for your senses.

The game is simple enough to pick up and play. Within a few days you've seen every ability, and can look through all the cards via the Crafting Mode anytime you want.

For the most part, it's pretty balanced at the newbie ranks until probably Rank 10 or so - barring the Newbie Farmers.

Unfortunately those don't make it a good game. A visually appealing game, yes. An initially fun game, yes. But it's not a deep game. It's not something that REMAINS fun unless you pay for it. And you're probably saying, "Well it's F2P anyways - what's wrong with paying for it?"

Well, in theory, nothing. I'm sure there are people out there who've spent $100 on packs and gotten $100 worth of enjoyment out of Hearthstone. For me, though, it always feels like Hearthstone is reaching towards my wallet every time I open it, and for a surprisingly shallow card game... it's just sort of the icing on the cake that has made me lose interesting. Not when they could simply charge for cosmetic changes (ask Valve how profitable that is) or permanent access to special modes of play.

Don't let the pretty visuals and Blizzard name fool you. This is a fairly shallow card game draped over a cash shop. It might be worth paying for in two years or so at the rate Blizzard is going, but not at the moment. Not to me.
  29. May 20, 2014
    ===========
    An awesome card game. Warcraft universe. Gets boring eventually.
  30. Apr 24, 2014
    Hearthstone is a fun card game to play every few days, complete any daily quests you have built up and earn a few new cards. If you want something hardcore to spend thousands of hours on i'd look elsewhere, unless of course you wanna spend a ton of money buying card packs.

I'd call it Magic: The Gathering lite, it has enough depth to keep it interesting and strategic but also simple enough to keep the rounds quick and easy to play. It's actually quite a feat and they should be proud of it. The lack of a standard chat interface during matches is also genius, you can communicate via simple emotes and that's all. This keeps matches quick and clean with a lack of what would likely be useless or offensive chatter that is standard in most competitive online games.

Understandably it has issues with balance as ALL these types of games do, but Blizzard has never really been good with balance. That alone for me doesn't make it viable to spend a dime on it or compete in ranked matches.
  31. Mar 18, 2014
    The game is very deceptive. First of all, do not expect to be competitive in ranked play for a long time, unless you want to spend real money. If you do spend money, you will not be truly competitive anyway, but you will manage to get some wins just because you have better cards.

For a long time, I thought that cards are everything, but actually there is quite a lot of strategy involved. As a new player, you will need to do daily quests. I do not recommend playing any more than for dailies, as when you play against much better decks, you will feel that it is unfair and pay - for - win. As such, I recommend not buying the decks straight away, but spend the gold in arena. Yes, you will be losing a lot at the beginning - but also you will learn to play and to choose cards. Make a spreadsheet of your arena wins so you can see your progress in time. Initially you will think that 'it is all luck' and that 'opponents were lucky at draw and play' but after some time (a couple of months for me) you will realise that actually how you play and way you choose cards affect your performance in Arena immensely, and that having few very good cards in a badly chosen deck does not make wonders. To play constructed competitively, as long as you do not want to pay, expect 3-6 months of doing dailies and spending your gold on Arena runs.

Constructed has many issues currently, but the game is getting better, and even though maybe at the moment is not as good as competition, given Blizzard determination (and pushing it as an e-sport) it is very likely to be the best in maybe a year time.

However, building your skill to be competitive in the game (and Arena) will take time. You can buy your way to be competitive early, but with all the cards you can imagine, you will still not achieve top ranks without skill.
  32. May 27, 2014
    Lets get the Pay2Win out of the way first. is it? well yes? is that a problem? not really, this game is different to other f2p. this is a card game, and well like traditional card games, it is pay to win, the more cards you draw the better, that's just how they work, nothing wrong with that, although id preferred a trading system (hard to abuse -proof it though), plus if you want, youLets get the Pay2Win out of the way first. is it? well yes? is that a problem? not really, this game is different to other f2p. this is a card game, and well like traditional card games, it is pay to win, the more cards you draw the better, that's just how they work, nothing wrong with that, although id preferred a trading system (hard to abuse -proof it though), plus if you want, you don't need to spend a single cent on it, you ll eventually earn enough points to buy all the cards. eventually.......

The reason I didn't give this game a higher score is because the lack of depth, only (really, ranked and casual is one mode) 2 modes and not much is gained from ranking up, I do believe they are adding stuff in so, that's ok. But because it is only 30cards per deck, luck of the draw plays way too much in the games for it to be taken seriously, yes you can build a deck strategically but you cant really get away from luck, luck just has too much of a percentage in the games. So many times I have drawn 5 spell cards in a row with no minions to play even though I only have 8 spell cards in total. im not sure how luck's influence can be reduced, but it needs to be looked at, maybe a 50card deck can help smooth it out? not sure
  33. Apr 26, 2014
    In absence of any better games this one sticks to me a bit and its for me only playable on a casual basis therefore getting to legend rank is a grind for me. Arena is not really my thing, its even more random than constructed. Playing since the end of closed beta and after a while when the meta stays the same it gets boring. Right now the meta is as boring as it can be with Hunters thatIn absence of any better games this one sticks to me a bit and its for me only playable on a casual basis therefore getting to legend rank is a grind for me. Arena is not really my thing, its even more random than constructed. Playing since the end of closed beta and after a while when the meta stays the same it gets boring. Right now the meta is as boring as it can be with Hunters that are massively boring and op at the same time mixed in with other aggrodecks (especially Zoo). Will see what the future brings with Naxx and new meta's. Expand
  34. Mar 19, 2014
    I've played the game since early beta - if you're searching for quick and fun matches without having to go into the think tank a lot this is for you. It's a pretty dumbed down TCG with WAY too much focus on pure luck for my tastes - but I still play it once in a while. To be honest, the Arena is the only thing in this game worth your while, and even that features an immense amount of luckI've played the game since early beta - if you're searching for quick and fun matches without having to go into the think tank a lot this is for you. It's a pretty dumbed down TCG with WAY too much focus on pure luck for my tastes - but I still play it once in a while. To be honest, the Arena is the only thing in this game worth your while, and even that features an immense amount of luck to get a good draft pool. Still, I can see the people who enjoy blizzard games as of late enjoy this one too. Expand
  35. Jun 9, 2014
    Hearthstone is a decent CCG, and the game can be a good pickup if you are willing to put large amounts of time into it. For all the people claiming the game is pay to win, it is and it isn't You can do decently in both constructed and ranked with decks using only basic cards. And some of the strongest cards, like the chill wind yeti, a free and accessible from the beginning of the game.Hearthstone is a decent CCG, and the game can be a good pickup if you are willing to put large amounts of time into it. For all the people claiming the game is pay to win, it is and it isn't You can do decently in both constructed and ranked with decks using only basic cards. And some of the strongest cards, like the chill wind yeti, a free and accessible from the beginning of the game. Though the Epic and Legendary cards you can get from spending lots of money are quite strong, i'd argue its more grind to win than pay to win
    However, if you intend to play this game more than causally, you may and up frustrated. The biggest issue hearthstone has is that 90% of the game is based on RNG. You can have all the best cards in you deck and still lose flat out because of a bad draw. Due to this, most of the stronger cards are merely based on card draw. Most of the time, the game will come down to who can draw the better card first, making the game frustrating, especially in situations where it appears you would have won.
    TLDR; Hearthstone isn't Pay to win, its flip a coin and hope you win. While a couple of games or arena runs here and there can be entertaining, but becoming dedicated to it will likely leave you frustrated
  36. Mar 19, 2014
    At lot of fun ..at first. Especially against the computer players.

Then you reach PVP and it's pay to win. I remember I had cards that cost 2 mana and did 1 damage .. others had cards that cost 1 mana and did 3 damage. No matter what you do, unless you pay, you aren't going to win. It's a shame. Graphically, I really like the game, it has loads of style. The cards look good, the
    At lot of fun ..at first. Especially against the computer players.

It's a shame. Graphically, I really like the game, it has loads of style. The cards look good, the colours are clear and bright, the animations are great. The voices and sounds are good too. As you'd expect, coming from the creators of WOW, it's a work of quality. I really enjoyed playing ..until I got to PVP.

I have a suggestion for Blizzard. TWO sets of leagues. One league for "skill" players only. There are no cards or advantages you can buy, the winner is determined by sheer skill (And luck in the draw, of course, but that averages out the more games you play.) This will draw in a huge number of people and generate buzz.

The other league for players who bought cards.

Both sets of gamers could be happy!

If you do this, I will go back to playing again. Until then, no more for me.

7/10 for this. Would have been 9 or 10, except for the pay-to-win. Apart from that, it's an excellent game. I recommend people try it anyway; until you get to pvp, it's the best card battle game I ever played.
  37. Apr 21, 2014
    When i first played this game on gamescom 2013 i could not imagine anything bad considering this game. It was something new, I liked the style and graphics and there was finally a game by blizzard for casual gamers. Even though I think its quiet comprehensible to say that this game is, at least in some degree, pay to win I really liked the Beta-Version of the game. But the new ranked-matchWhen i first played this game on gamescom 2013 i could not imagine anything bad considering this game. It was something new, I liked the style and graphics and there was finally a game by blizzard for casual gamers. Even though I think its quiet comprehensible to say that this game is, at least in some degree, pay to win I really liked the Beta-Version of the game. But the new ranked-match system changed my opinion.
    The new system works against every casual player! The new system resets your rank on a monthly base... If you are a casual gamer like me, you play lets say 5 games a week. If you win 50% you end up on rank 16/25. Nothing to be proud of in my opinion. And then ... reset ... start AGAIN from rank 25. But luckily there is the arena mode as option... I could say. But it is expensive as hell. In order to purchase one arena run you need 150 gold. You get 10 gold for 3 wins. Lets do a little math 20 games a month 50% win ratio = 4,5 month playing to purchase 1 arena run ... are you kidding?
    To be fair there this another way to get gold. via daily quests. Those will gain you about 50 gold. But again, if the objective of this quest is: win 5 games with warrior or priest, and you never played those classes because you stick to only one.. there is no reason for me to even try to reach that.
    All in all, I think it can be quiet a fun game but just as long as you are willing to pay real money for arena runs.
  38. Jul 16, 2014
    Good Game. But it as the limit of a pay to win with to optimized deck. Really strategic and fun just need a little adjustment on some deck that change the game flow and kill hero in one turn with 3 card. Arena mode that prevent the player to have a far too optimized deck is really fun. The game is really focused on draw control not being a bad thing but can really be a pain when on a totalGood Game. But it as the limit of a pay to win with to optimized deck. Really strategic and fun just need a little adjustment on some deck that change the game flow and kill hero in one turn with 3 card. Arena mode that prevent the player to have a far too optimized deck is really fun. The game is really focused on draw control not being a bad thing but can really be a pain when on a total unlucky game. Expand
  39. Apr 4, 2014
    Hearthstone is basically, a pretty and casual ccg. It is a game that thrives on luck and unexprienced tcg players. It lives of its warcraft lore and art and the fact that alot of blizzard's clients will log onto it everyonce in a while (since it is apparently free).

Negative points? The game is not a tcg since there is no trading. The game is extremely unbalanced, with creatures not following an exact mana to stats pattern hence rendering some stronger than others (for the same cost). The game is 75% luck thus making it casual and not competitive (at all). It is not free to play since free cards have a really small array of effects limiting players to just a couple of strategies per deck. Mechanics linear and straightforward (really not much thinking, got the mana? use it)

And last but not least, it suffers heavily of the four negative tcg points, 1 bad first hand system, 2 overwhelming, 3 spell control/spell spam and 4. extreme luck based.

Conclusion. If you never played a tcg or is new or unexperienced to tcgs/ccgs... play the game, since its simple, pretty and you will have a chance of winning an experienced hardcore tcger (long live lucky based tcgs)
    If with time or if you already are a hardcore tcger, well accustomed to magic and other competitive tcgs, then... play this game casually, for if you try it competitively you will only get yourself frustrated or disappointed with the total lack of strategic elements you are used to.
  40. Jul 20, 2014
    Fun casual game. Just sad that they made it possible to buy cards for real money.

Pros:

- Fun card game
    - Free 2 play
    - Warcraft universe

Cons

- You can pay to get more cards
    - DLC's cost a hell of alot to buy (But they can be bought with in-game gold, will just take alot of time to get)
    - Gets boring after a while
  41. Sep 27, 2014
    The entire game is well balanced. You can feel that the game depends on microtransaction, but it doesn't affect the game in a negative way (at least I have noticed). The only bad thing I have to say about the game, is the bugs. There are some bugs that ruin the entire experience. I was playing a game recently and I was about to win. I waited for more than a minute. So I just conceded, butThe entire game is well balanced. You can feel that the game depends on microtransaction, but it doesn't affect the game in a negative way (at least I have noticed). The only bad thing I have to say about the game, is the bugs. There are some bugs that ruin the entire experience. I was playing a game recently and I was about to win. I waited for more than a minute. So I just conceded, but just as I pressed the button. The game resumed, and I lost, even though I would have won, when it was my turn again. Expand
  42. Jul 24, 2014
    It's nicely polished card game and can be extremely fun due to ridiculous combo plays and godlike RNG. However there are some issues with this game:

1) Business model - it may look like a fair f2p game, but believe me, soon you will see how long it takes to get all the cards you need to play at competitive level. If you are beginner it's just p2w game. Until you learn how to play you will lack gold for arena and lack cards for ranked games.

I'd rather pay set amount of money for the game and have equal conditions right from the start. It kinda works that way with recent expansion, but hey, if you are new, you still need those vanilla cards.

2) Only two game modes - arena and ranked (well there is casual normal mode but it's just regular 1vs1 with no incentive to play it).

3) Ranked system is kind off dull and too simplistic. You either get a star or loose a star - to climb or fall in ranks. What's more, there are only few decks with obviously specific legendary (or high rarity cards) that really work in higher ranks, so in the end - you face same decks over and over. So wins the one with better RNG, or one whose deck works better against opponents deck. After a while it becomes very tedious.

4) Lack of skill needed. You learn how the game works and what "abilities" cards have, you learn what cards can be played at which turn (just in case to play around) and pretty much it. Then it's all about better card draw.

5) Unbalanced cards. There are some insanely overpowered cards with insane value (absolute must have cards) and there are some ridiculous one trick pony combos. You can simply beat your opponent in 1 turn down from full HP.

Overall it lacks some more depth, more strategic aspect and more game modes.

Sure you can check it out for free and it's more than enough to see yourself if this game and business model suits you. But for sure, if you consider to play it at competitive level, prepare for long grind of card packs or prepare to shake you wallet.
  43. Jun 10, 2014
    I'm going to keep this review short and straight to the point:
    -Graphics/Animation 8.5-Pretty good for a card game. The animations are smooth,nothing special or out of the ordinary, but ok,maybe even going to great.
    -Story / -I can't say anything about the story because I believe that in this particular card game, the story isn't even a main focus, so no score here. -Gameplay 7.5 -I
    I'm going to keep this review short and straight to the point:
    -Gameplay 7.5 -I don't have anything against the gameplay, in fact it seems to be pretty decent, however, the pay to win aspect has to be taken into consideration because a lot of people don't like it when games seem to be milking money from them, so the score has to go down. Apart from that, the gameplay seems to be decent, far from perfect, but decent.
    -Characters / -Again, this card game doesn't focus on any particular characters, so no score here.
    Music and Sound fx 6 -While the sound fx are ok,the music really isn't. It doesn't suit the genre, it's not utilized very well and I really have to take out a few points here.
    In the end, (8.5+7.5+6)/3 is somewhere around 7.1, and that's the score this game gets from me.
  44. Mar 18, 2014
    I played they WOW TCG for the game, not the unlocks...and that makes me a minority as best I can tell.

In either case, Hearthstone is a faithful if dumbed down version of the TCG.

A Fun way to burn time (and money). It will never be competitive like MtG and that is okay. It fills a good niche.
  45. Mar 26, 2014
    Hearthstone is most likely the best card game at the moment but if you haven't played WoW as me, it doesnt open too well. I guess ill stay in moba games. 6/10
  46. Apr 2, 2014
    Without a doubt this is one of the better implementations of the CCG in computer game form. It has the to-be-expected Blizzard interface polish, and looks to be designed for eventual deployment on mobile platforms as well. My criticisms are that it is socially sterile and a little claustrophobic at times. Playing with anonymous people is easy, fast, and painless. It is one of theWithout a doubt this is one of the better implementations of the CCG in computer game form. It has the to-be-expected Blizzard interface polish, and looks to be designed for eventual deployment on mobile platforms as well. My criticisms are that it is socially sterile and a little claustrophobic at times. Playing with anonymous people is easy, fast, and painless. It is one of the friendliest games I've ever played for deckbuilding, test-dueling random people without anxiety or judgment. Playing with friends (and sidestepping the matchmaking and arena) felt almost discouraged. Community feels non-existent ingame, probably due to aforementioned "mobile platform development," and communication is similarly clumsy (IM messages appear as popups and if used, the chat window actively obscures the playing area). Expand
  47. Apr 17, 2014
    This game is not bad, but not very good.Very casual, too much random.I play some, but now i just dnt want play it again.I dnt know why some people say that Hearthstone 9/10 or 10/10.Rly its not bad game, but 6/10 or 7/10 is max for casual card game like this
  48. Apr 24, 2014
    Hearthstone's graphics and voice acting are great, the pace is quick, and the effects are satisfying. It has its fair share of flaws, though, most of which are inherent to card games. Good cards take time/money to acquire, and even with great cards and a high skill level, your wins and losses are determined almost entirely by luck alone. However, it's a lot of fun and has many differentHearthstone's graphics and voice acting are great, the pace is quick, and the effects are satisfying. It has its fair share of flaws, though, most of which are inherent to card games. Good cards take time/money to acquire, and even with great cards and a high skill level, your wins and losses are determined almost entirely by luck alone. However, it's a lot of fun and has many different ways to play, with several different classes and different kinds of decks that can be built. Hearthstone is a great game for Warcraft enthusiasts, and even for people just interested in a fun card game. Expand
  49. May 2, 2014
    Welp. This game is fun, but you can only buy 1 pack at a time, and if you want more you have to pay not too much money, but I don't like spending money (mostly because I'm broke) but yeah, this game is really fun,
    and has nice plot and characters, but you only get a little bit of coins per battle, but the CPU are always to good for me.
  50. May 17, 2014
    It is a good game, but there are flaws. For example, the beginning is to easy! Of course it shows you the basics but it just wasnt fun. But the online is challenging and fun!
  51. May 21, 2014
    It's fun for a week or two but it's mostly just tedious like it's WoW predecessor. Strategy is limited and it's reasonably predictable what cards your opponents use due to class restrictions. A dumbed down version of the MTG computer/console games.
  52. Jul 7, 2014
    Cant say that I hate it, cant say that I crave to play either. But hey it's free so give it a try and see it for your self, personally I enjoyed it for 2-3 hours.
  53. May 29, 2014
    Must play type of game. Very addictive and fun.
    But it has a problem, sometimes lucky players win and not smart and skilled ones, that downgrades the need of a sharp mind and actual skill.
  54. Jun 4, 2014
    ok but dumb sometimes. this game be fun for me sometimes but such bollocks other times. to much luck i hate how lucky ppl get against me when i lose. no skill all luck but fun. i dont know
  55. Jun 4, 2014
    I give it a 5 rating after on going playing. Fun. Addictive. Nice touch of refreshing us with playing cards. The quest feature you earn is once a day, I do like that as well.

Now let's get into the ugly. Bad chances. This game is off luck at the close ends of the straw. Whoever Hearthstone favors will win if it's coming down to the close matchup. Lets say you have 15 life left and your

Now let's get into the ugly.
    Bad chances. This game is off luck at the close ends of the straw. Whoever Hearthstone favors will win if it's coming down to the close matchup. Lets say you have 15 life left and your poor foe has 9. Chances are he's going to get lucky with a few more rounds before it's over. They made that flaw into this card game. I don't care about the real money. I don't like how the game can overturn in a few rounds because they build a system into the mathematics. Come on! give me a break blizzard.
  56. Jun 4, 2014
    At first the game is great, gets you hooked with very addicting gameplay.

As you climb the ladder of ranked games with the very meager amount of coins allocated per day. It becomes more and more frustrating playing against the top tier decks with multiple legendary creatures. They are a company that is driven on money yes but it kind of makes the game unplayable unless you invest
    At first the game is great, gets you hooked with very addicting gameplay.

They are a company that is driven on money yes but it kind of makes the game unplayable unless you invest either massive amounts of time per day to get the 100 gold cap per day plus daily quest.

Or massive amounts of money and test your luck on booster packs.

Overall great gameplay but not for the casual gamer
  57. Jun 5, 2014
    Overall then it is a great game, I just feel like that you have to be EXTREMLY lucky, to win a match if you don't get good cards at game starts

The game itself has a amazing atsmophere and its just nice to play and just look at, but the overall functionality isn't that great when you played it from some hours (or at least I think so).
  58. Jun 9, 2014
    A pretty fun little card game. The various classes can make for wildly varying experiences and there are many different decks that can be successful, at least on the entry level where I play. The limited chat (really just emotes) means you don't have to watch people talk nonsense in the chat, and most players seem to act somewhat civil.

I would have liked to see some form of single

I would have liked to see some form of single player adventure mode, like in the Magic game that Microprose made around the late 90s, but Hearthstone is pretty good the way it is.
  59. Jun 9, 2014
    While a bit repetitive and annoyed me with some bugs during game play, the game certainly has a Warcraft tone to it, from making me rage since I lost a match or just making me laugh out loud, It was worth the play. It could have been better by adding more of a story, but overall, I'm glad I installed it onto my PC.
  60. Jul 11, 2014
    Hearthstone is good fun for a while (2-3 weeks) and then you realize heartstone is more pay2play then pay2win. Its also a good amount pay2win allthough u can do good with relativly free decks.
    So after the first 2 weeks where u get a good amount of bonus cards from different beginner quests you have finally enough cards and gold to build your first ladder deck.
    So now is where it

So now is where it starts....
    U can either build a cheap Aggro hunter deck , a cheap Zoolock deck or a cheap midrange Shaman deck.
    From those 3 decks Zoolock is by far the most effective but also most boring.

Thats why the ladder is full and overcrowded by Zoolocks .... Everybody complains about stupid no brainer Zoolocks in Ladder ... but well Its the only Deck u have Gold for as a "new" player !
    You can either play any hero you want using Basic cards and getting crushed every game or play Hunter/midrange Shaman or Zoo
    Thats your realistic choices

Id love to play a Warrior, a Handlock or a Paladin ! But the game doesnt allow me since the cards absolutely necessary for these decks cost insane amount of dust which u can either get by playing 100rds of hours or Spending $$$

Just to make it clear ..... a good Handlock,Paladin,Warrior or most of the other good decks start at 6000Dust ! You earn an average of ~ 50dust per hour playing heartstone ... this means u need to play/grind at least 120h stupid zoo ! to even be able to build 1 single competetive deck that isnt Zoo,Aggro Hunter or Midrange Shaman.

Or instead of stupidly grinding 120h you can pay money in the blizzard shop !
    U need about 80card packs to have a somehow realtsic chance for enough dust/lucky drops to build good deck.... 80card packs equals the price of ---------- 100$ !--------------

I did play Heartstone for 85h and additionally payed 19,99$ for 15card packs just due to the fact that i think a game is worth 20bucks...that i would have spent anyway if it wasnt free to play :)
    I just managed to create my first decent handlock deck.

So now i can play Handlock and Zoo ......

I am still miles away from having enough dust for a decent Warrior or a Miracle Rouge Deck.
    and it wil take either and endless grind to build those or i have to pay more money.

85h of play 19,99$ spent and i can only access about 20-30% of the content ?

No thank you
    I deinstalled it yesterday
  61. Jul 29, 2014
    Lol at all these 0 reviews....

Lol at all these 0 reviews....

I'll address some of these points first. One, HS is a pay to win game (because you need cards to play well; but they do give you some free cards) because its a card game. All card games are pay to play MTG, Yu-gi-oh, etc... etc... You buy cards for all of them. I can't actually think of a better way to say it though, since its not p2w and its not really pay to play either.....

Two, I agree with those who dislike the power that legendaries and epic cards have. If any HS person here can name me a card that can efficiently trade with the dragons then I'll concede this point. However, at the time of writing, there are no vanilla cards that are as powerful as the above. While people who do have the above are at an advantage, HS is in no way a p2w game as evidenced by one of, if not, the strongest decks in game being free.

Three, RNG sucks but HS is a game of percentages. Its not about how many individual games you win but how high your win ratio is. So, yeah, RNGesus sucks.

I gave HS a 6 because the music and design (not game design) is pretty good. I believe that there's plenty of room for growth and that the devs really need to capitalize on this.

Arena is fun as hell to play. and those saying that ~50 gold a day is hard to get are treating the game way to seriously. Its something you play in between LoL or DotA matches.. Hell I've got 4k saved up right now and I only play 2x a week.
  62. Sep 4, 2014
    I like the game itself, but the matchmaking is horrible. I feel like I always get matched with People who played this game a ton more than me. They all have more Cards than me and also cards I've never even saw before. I feel like I am getting forced to buy cards with real money. The Singleplayer mode isn't too good aswell (sadly)
  63. Apr 21, 2015
    Yeah, it's severely luck based, very much pay to win, and lacking in strategic value. But for casual gamers it's a nice time waster. Though if you're planning to get far ahead without months of grinding for cards, you're just fooling yourself. As with any P2W title, the game will give you enough line to get you hooked before it starts punishing you by pairing you up with paying customersYeah, it's severely luck based, very much pay to win, and lacking in strategic value. But for casual gamers it's a nice time waster. Though if you're planning to get far ahead without months of grinding for cards, you're just fooling yourself. As with any P2W title, the game will give you enough line to get you hooked before it starts punishing you by pairing you up with paying customers while whoring itself every step of the way. And to be frank, there's no logic in paying for cards either, unless the decks sold come with luck attached. Expand
  64. Aug 12, 2015
    The gameplay is fun, the visuals, sounds and matches are enjoyable, tavern brawl brings much needed variation and enjoyment, however, the costly aspect of the game's extremely unforgiving free vs pay model can't be overlooked.

You must pay, or you will suffer at the hands of players who did. I caved and spent over $200 on top of playing for over 500 hours, and I'm still behind the curve. Be warned!

The devs' philosophy on game balance is one of the most atrocious models I've ever seen in the history of gaming: "we won't balance anything, we'll just sell you more new cards." The lead dev, Ben Brode, stated they don't want to fix broken under or overpowered cards, but instead, just introduce new ones, obviously, to keep feeding the cash machine.

This is a solid, great game, mired horribly by it's pay model.
  65. Apr 4, 2015
    At a first glance, a superior CCG, as it succeeds in combining very simple game mechanics with a lot of charme, attractive and really different classes, permanent updates and a solid amount of depth, as no other game does.

After the first euphoria, however, it gets clear that the game suffers from a lot of downsides as well: Players are pushed to spend money, and therefore, average

Players are pushed to spend money, and therefore, average opponents have very strong cards, against which it is hard to compete, even on the lower levels and unranked play.
    Be prepared for LOTS of frustration and unfairness, if you choose to play this game for free, or anything below, at the very least, 100 Dollar.

Additionaly, randomness plays a bigger role in this game that it should. Too often are games decided by certain, game-breaking cards, lucky or unlucky draws or uncontrollable effects (f.e cards that deals x to y damage to all enemies, cards that attack a random character...).

Then, the small card-pool leaves very little room for individualism, which has lead to a pool of "standard-decks", that you will find over and over, and that players with ambitions will need to use to reach higher ranks.

And finally, the balance is suboptimal.
    First of all, does the second player get a significant advantage: not only does he get to choose between four starting cards instead of three, he also gets a card, that costs 0, grants one mana and counts as a spell!
    And then, no matter how good you play and how well your deck is prepared:
    If you are unlucky enough to face certain, usually legendary cards and are not in the position to deal with them immediately or finish the game within the next round, you will most likely lose.
    Examples would be Archmage Antonidas, which creates a fireball (costs 4, deals 6 damage) in the players hand for each spell he casts, inclusing those generated fireballs, or Echoing Ooze, which costs 2 and creates a duplicate of itself, including all buffs, at the end of the turn.

Those downsides dont make Hearthstone a bad game on their own, as the game has to offer a lot as well. But only for those, that are in the comfortable position to build a deck thats strong enough to compete with every class and level...

Finalizing, this could have been the best CCG of all time. In its very core, there really is an outstanding game. And if you get to the point where you can build yourself a high-end deck you really like, and only then, immense fun, extreme challenging gameplay and endless amounts of replayablity await.
    Thats also the point, where farming stops feeling like a neverending journey of stress and suffering, and begins to feel rewarding. You will get to love to get awarded, and to increase your collection, just by playing.

Until you reach that point of comfort, however, you will learn to hate this game from the deepness of your heart. Playing will feel like work, progresses will hardly be noteable, you will get stuck in ranked play fast and other players will trample over you with their high-budget decks.

Ive gone through both phases and talk by experience.

So, do i recommend Hearthstone?
    If you dont plan to buy yourself into the game, this game doesnt have much good to offer, will annoy you much more than it will reward and i seriously recommend to skip Hearthstone and every other F2P or P2P competetor and play a CCG with no or little P2W aspects.
    If you like CCGs and are in the position and willing to spend a good amount of money into this game, this game is definitely worth it, will offer a good cost-benefit ratio and will reward you with a well amount of pleasure...
  66. Jul 26, 2014
    It's a nice game, payment model makes it very frustrating, it's indeed P2W. But once you get enough gold to purchase arena access. That one is fun. It's fun limited to minimum of 3 plays every 2 days or more depending on success in the arena. So play it casually, just do dailies and arenas and you should have some fun.
  67. Sep 12, 2014
    a Simple simplistic card game, and to be competitive you HALF to throw money at it.

Blizzard keeps and keeps trying to steal money from our pockets with mediocre games like Diablo 3 Auction house and now a card game that makes you pay to win.

Fact is blizzard has took the greed route with garbage infested cash shop games.
  68. Nov 8, 2014
    "Time is money, friend!" Or even better: "You play, you pay".
    It saddens me the way game developing is going today. From major titles like WoW or StarCraft to casual games you can play on your iPad. Where are our Arcanum, Morrowind or vanilla WoW? Nevermind me, probably I'm just too old for this things.
  69. Oct 31, 2014
    This game is addicting! I can say that for sure!

This game is addicting! I can say that for sure!

Blizzard has done a damn good job on this one its not Starcraft or Diablo but its bloody amazing. However the Tutorial is very long you have to complete a whole 6 bosses before you can start playing. Thats annoying I can tell you that. The ranked is infuriating but when you win a match you feel unstoppable. I lost 21 games in a row then won 2 and I was in league 23. I like it. However you dont even get gold if you win a match. You need to win like 3 and then you get between 20-50 gold and 5 cards are 100. So thats where the "FREE"-TO-PLAY aspect comes in. It is good at heart and I would very much you recommend playing it! It is not worth a 0.

Pros
    - Intentness
    - Ranked is Hard but rewarding
    - Joy of getting good cards

Cons
    - "FREE"-TO-PLAY
    - Dont get much gold for winning
    - Cards to much

Total Score: 67/100
  70. Aug 17, 2015
    This game isn't p2w, but it's rather pay to compete.

You can play with basic decks (google them) and do fine. Hell, you can even win against some decks with legendaries. But you'll be limited to your cards, which (if you will not start paying for the boosters) will get pretty boring. The chance of win is based on: - deck - 80%. If you're not a pro player, you can use already made
    This game isn't p2w, but it's rather pay to compete.

The chance of win is based on:
    - deck - 80%. If you're not a pro player, you can use already made decks. You can have all epics, but if your deck isn't balanced, you're doomed.
    - rng - 10%. Matchmaking is ridiculous. As far as I know, it's based on K/D ratio - so sometimes you'll get cheap defeats, fighting people with better decks. Starting hand is also vital, but I rarely had times, when I failed just because I didn't get the cards that I needed.
    - actual skill - 10%. The gameplay is pretty simple. But at the same it's disappointing. Because both yours and opponents cards are random - you don't have to plan the game up to the end. When you're making decisions - you focus on the current situation and 2-3 steps ahead.

I liked arena - it's the most 'fair' mode of the game. You and enemy have the same chances. Despite that building deck in the arena is the most random thing in the game.

So I quit the game w/o spending a single dollar. I had some fun, but in the end it was a waste of time.
    Also, if you want to spend money, you must understand, that it doesn't guarantee anything. Even fighting bosses from adventures requires more than just basic cards.
  71. Jul 28, 2014
    on the surface hearthstone looks like another card game like yu-gi-oh but it is very different . unlike blizzards other games hearthstone is free to play , the user is given the option to pay money to buy and open packs to get more cards but you get the currency by completing challenges and every time you level up one of the playable characters you get some card too . hearthstone is in noon the surface hearthstone looks like another card game like yu-gi-oh but it is very different . unlike blizzards other games hearthstone is free to play , the user is given the option to pay money to buy and open packs to get more cards but you get the currency by completing challenges and every time you level up one of the playable characters you get some card too . hearthstone is in no way pay to win , though people who do pay might have a slight advantage if you use a good enough strategy you can beat just about anybody. Expand
  72. Nov 18, 2014
    It's "free to play" (-which is always a bad thing for a game) card game.

I find it's pay system adequate, and you can certainly get all the cards without ever paying. It might include a lot of time investing on players part, and it will always depend on frequency of expansions released by Blizzard. But if you aren't stupid you can make in-game currency by playing in arena. Yes it's a
    It's "free to play" (-which is always a bad thing for a game) card game.

Yes it's a card game, which means it's extremely RNG based game, and blizzard actively encourages RNG factor by putting in cards which have random effects.

I would have given it 7/10 on purely game-play performance. Unfortunately the game even after a year of it's release is still constantly plagued by blizzard sever/connection issues. In other words it's a complete technical disaster, so on top of RNG rage, you will rage for loosing games because of desync, disconnect etc.
  73. Jun 26, 2014
    This is a great game... at first. It has beautiful artwork and graphical flair. There's definitely a depth of strategy to figure out. The sounds are hilarious for anyone familiar with WoW.
    But eventually, you'll realize you're getting destroyed by people with a deck full of epic and legendary cards. In other words, it's a free-to-play, pay-to-win game.
  74. Sep 2, 2014
    Hearthstone is my first card collecting game, and I have to say it's been a pleasant experience. Grinding quests to get gold can be tedious at times but overall it's a solid game.
  75. Oct 4, 2014
    I'm pretty new to this type of card games, but HS has been a nice experience. My only problem is the strength of some decks, especially those that include legendaries. I cannot count the times my opponent was visibly, unquestionably playing like CRAP, making absolutely fundamental mistakes, but had 2-3 imba cards and a bit of luck and just beat me because of those.

Apart from that, a

Apart from that, a nice way to kill some time.
  76. Dec 10, 2014
    I spent about two weeks with game and based on that I have urge to share my experience.

Pros: 1) "Deceptively simple and insanely fun" as they market is, really stands. Game is very fun and after several games you can easily get hooked. Although it is simple to begin, you soon realise it's depth of card combinations and strategies. 2) Free to play - who wouldnt like that, fast

Pros:

2) Free to play - who wouldnt like that, fast download, and you are ready to go

3) Nice and cosy game UI in Warcraftish style

4) Games are fast - takes from 5 to 20 mins, depending on lengths of game and speed of players.

Now the cons:

1) Progress in terms of your strength 90% comes from new cards. New cards you can unlock with in-game currency "gold", or real life money via in-game shop. Unlocking with currency is of course way to slow, so after you get hokked up, you will need and want to spend lots of money to be able to compete with other players. So yes, it is 100% pay to win game. Even you will hear stories that this or that guy won a tournament with only basic cards deck, truth is you will never come more then rank 18 with them.

2) Matchmaking system is terrible, there is no way to play against opponents who have similar "strength" cards available. Once you hit "magic" rank 20, game will start matching you with players tossing exlusivly magic (rare and legendary) cards from turn one onward. OFC your chance to win those matches is terrible.

3) Game also has design flaws, so high ranked (read: powerful decks) players are motivated to de-level by auto surrendering games, in order to grind max daily allowed 100 gold faster the they would on their real rank. That also make it harder for new players to win. It is pretty clear this is allowed so new players would feel urge to alos have that "good" cards as soon as possible, and rush to in-game shop to buy packs of cards.

4) With every expansion there are new cards (read "stronger"), and if you dont spend real life money, you will always stay behind.

My current opinion is that I will not stick to the game becasue of their money grab business model.
  77. May 12, 2015
  78. Mar 23, 2015
    Играть в Hearthstone все равно что играть в покер, практически никакой тактики и планирования. Успешность вашей игры зависит по большей части от того какие карты вам выдадут. Собрать более менее вменяемую колоду нельзя, поскольку вы даже не знаете против какого героя вам придется играть, и какие карты вам выдаст игра на первом ходе тоже неизвестно. Игра как назло может ход за ходом вИграть в Hearthstone все равно что играть в покер, практически никакой тактики и планирования. Успешность вашей игры зависит по большей части от того какие карты вам выдадут. Собрать более менее вменяемую колоду нельзя, поскольку вы даже не знаете против какого героя вам придется играть, и какие карты вам выдаст игра на первом ходе тоже неизвестно. Игра как назло может ход за ходом в начале игры выдавать совершенно бесполезна карты, которые могли бы пригодится на последних ходах. Так же стоить отметить необходимость вкладывать деньги для нормальной игры. Система подбора противника совершенно не учитывает содержание колоды игроков, так игра спокойно может поставить против новичка, у которого нет ни одной легендарной карты человек с 3-4 легендарными существами, что дает ощутимое преимущество в игре тем, кто играет давно, либо вложил свою наличность. И людей с кучей эпических существ довольно много, несмотря на завышенную стоимость игрового контента. Поэтому начинать играть в нее людям, которые не планирует делать больших вложений в игру не стоит, потратите больше нервов, чем получите удовольствия от игры. Даже несмотря на то что весь контент в игре можно покупать за игровую валюту, насобирать на него не так то и просто. Так если вам упала из комплекта совершенно бесполезная эпическая карта, как не странно они существуют, несмотря на свою высокую стоимость, то единственный выход ее разобрать, тут то и есть вся загвоздка, что бы собрать любую другую карту эпического качества нужно потратить 400ед. ресурсов, в то время как за продажу ненужной вам карты дадут всего 100. А учитывая что эпические карты из комплектов падают крайне редко, то насобирать хотя бы на 1 нужную вам крайне сложно. Expand
  79. Apr 11, 2015
    Welcome to conglomeration, and consolidation. Blizzard owns the PC game market. Type in Hearthstone and META is the first site to pop up. 40 something positive reviews for the critics and not a single mixed or negative review, this is the story throughout earth. Every radio station plays the same songs,every news station reports the same story, etc, etc, etc. That being said, its just aWelcome to conglomeration, and consolidation. Blizzard owns the PC game market. Type in Hearthstone and META is the first site to pop up. 40 something positive reviews for the critics and not a single mixed or negative review, this is the story throughout earth. Every radio station plays the same songs,every news station reports the same story, etc, etc, etc. That being said, its just a computer program which is inherently random, someone who is butt hurt is much more likely to post than someone who isn't, and companies pay for positive reviews....who knows how many are real. That being said, throw some virtual cards down, with a beer, and it's not so bad. Expand

1. Jul 6, 2014
    When Blizzard announced they were making a digital CCG, we all expected it to look and sound beautiful, and there was little doubt that it would be well-balanced, but I don’t think anyone anticipated this level of sophistication and subtle brilliance.
  2. Jun 28, 2014
    Simple rules, high production values, low system requirements and huge tactical freedom make Hearthstone one of the best card games available. And if you take into account the free-to-play model – it’s the best one. [05/2014, p.62]
  3. Jun 7, 2014
    A fine example of a great free-to-play game. Hearthstone is not only an addictive and well designed card game, but absolutely fair with gamers that do not wish to spend money on it.