6.4

1. Mar 12, 2014
    Hearthstone is casual at first glance but I am unsurprisingly terrible at it, as it has depth that isn't that noticeable at first. It is extremely fun though, even losing is enjoyable to me and I can't wait for Blizzard to start expanding upon the game.

For what it is now, I give it a 10/10 for being a well balanced and extremely fun game with enough depth to last for quite a while.
  2. Apr 1, 2014
    Frankly I don't see how this game could be any better. When compared to any other digital card game it just puts everything else to shame. It's not Magic, it's not Call of Duty, but it is simply the best digital collectible card game you will find anywhere. Give it time to expand and it will give Magic a run for its money.
  3. Mar 13, 2014
    This was the first CCG game I ever played, except for the demo of "WWE Authority". I also played a brief amount of Magic The Gathering on XBox 360.

I was in the closed beta for Hearthstone on day one, and I have also played the "live" version of the game. I prefer to play the ranked (built decks) mode over arena.

I would say to check out this game because of an important fact:

It's FREE to download, and FREE to play. It has a nice art style, nice spell effects and, well just the typical perfect Blizzard end user experience. It's also fun.

I don't tend to play Arena because that is the part of the game that is effectively behind the pay wall. You earn 10g for every 3 wins you earn in practice or ranked mode, so 45 wins is a free arena ticket. There are also daily quests which can award between 30-60g, in some cases 100g, and there are milestones that also award gold (for example 100 wins awards 300g).

Card packs cost 100g, and there are 5 cards in a pack, 1 of which is always at least a rare. If you get duplicate cards you earn dust which can be used to craft cards you want. 40 dust will buy a common expert card, 100 for a rare, 400 for an epic, and 1600 for a legendary. Trust me when I say that crafting a legendary is not something you should expect to accomplish in a short space of time (due to the disenchant value to craft value is 4 to 1).

Opening packs is always fun.

At the very least I recommend downloading (small download) and trying the game as it's free.
  4. Mar 14, 2014
    Don't pay attention to the negative reviews. This game is amazing. If you're any good at it. The thing is, the community is terrible. In the Beta, things have been nerfed that didn't deserve nerfing because all the bad players didn't know how to counter them. This will probable still go on forever. Don't pay attention to complaints about RNG, it's a Card Game, there is always gonna be RNG. Bottom line; this game is a perfectly executed with great potential for expansions and more. Too bad the community are pretty mindless at times. Expand
  5. Mar 13, 2014
    Great game, really sums up whats fun about card games, while bringing new joy to a old genre and keeping the famous quotes from world of warcraft. Hoping to see it on android as soon as possible.
  6. Mar 14, 2014
    Hearthstone is a amazing game. It might not be super original, but for me, not even a WoW-player, this game is just so relaxing and fun. The only thing i dont really like about this game is that people who spend money on this game gets a advantage (not really pay2win, but you need to grind like nothing else to keep up with someone who pays 10$).

Something i also have noticed is that
    everyone who says that this game "sucks" have never played it. It looks just pathetic and over simplified to the ones who has not tried the game yet. After a coiple of hours you realize its not only a card game, its a masterpiece Expand
  7. Mar 14, 2014
    I never played a digital CCG before, and i have to say i am having a blast. It is like most Blizz titles easy to learn, but hard to master. I was hesitant to try it out, when open beta started, but i did, and i'm glad i did it. It is the game i spent the most time playing this year, and it's free! The graphics are beautiful for a card game, and the gameplay is nothing but fun. And the best thing is, you don't have to spend any money on it. Various players have proven, that it is possible to reach even the highest rank with absolutely no money spent.

Go and try it out, you have nothing to lose, but be warned, it is highly addictive!
  8. Mar 15, 2014
    I will be frank, I never really liked WoW. I loved Warcraft 3, and tried to like WoW because it was a continuation of story, but the game was boring and I never played it more than a month.
    With that said, Hearthstone is an exact opposite. I got into beta in november and still love the game. Each match is unique and fun, and the game constantly rewards you with new cards which alter your
    experience.
    The best part of the game is that it is totally playable without spending a cent. In my 5 months of occasional play to complete quests I have unlocked all common cards, 70% of rares, 30% of epics and I have 6 legendary cards. I repeat, I never spent a cent.
    For this fact alone, this game is a 10 in my book. Yes, it is a little light on features, but that will be changed in time. Yes, it has some bugs, it will also be changed in time. What will not change time is an amazing attention to detail, beautiful animations and aesthetics, great balance and a smile on my face when I turn around an already lost match...
  9. Mar 16, 2014
    Just a great game that oozes that Blizzard polish. As it stands I personally think it needs a few more cards, but since it just came out and Blizzard already has confirmed that more cards/classes are on it's way I'll gladly wait a while.
  10. Mar 31, 2014
    Like Total Biscuit says - Scoring games is a terrible idea. I've scored the game based on personal preference, please remember that.

I am very surprised to see a lot of negative reviews. Do not trust people who say it's PTW - it is not. I didn't pay a dime I'm having much fun playing the game. I have come across many players with 10+ Legendaries and I have 90% win ratio against them
    with common cards and frankly I feel sorry for them. I strongly advise NOT to pay for packs because you NEED the experience and that's how you gain knowledge of the game. It's easy to learn but difficult to master. I do my daily quests and I have saved up 2000 gold. Don't buy packs, play the Arena - you have a guaranteed pack no matter how well you do for just 50 gold more which you will get back if have 2-3 wins and at the same time you gain experience. Don't do reckless things, don't spend money/gold if you don't know what you're doing. Watch steams, see how pros do it. If you don't believe that it's F2P go watch Trump F2P series. It's a free game, go play it and if you like it, it will be tons of fun getting up the ladder. It has depth, I have played for one month and I still have lot's to learn. Granted, I don't have too much time for playing. The art is beautiful, everything's polished, fairly balanced game, large playerbase.

Play and see if this is the game for you.
  11. Mar 14, 2014
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft was not a game I first expected to enjoy, since I have not enjoyed any of Blizzard's other games. However, Hearthstone was an immensely fun game and I put at least 20 hours in during my first week of play. I really like the uniqueness of the cards as well as the way your plays get better each turn.

Over all I give it 10/10 because it is an incredibly fun
    game, and adds a certain uniqueness, never achieved before, to the CCG Genre. Expand
  12. Apr 5, 2014
    Every 5 years or so a game comes along that addicts me in a way I find both exciting and scary. Hearthstone is currently that game for me. I should say that I was already a big CCG (computer card game) fan, having eaten through hours of the various incarnations of Magic: The Gathering, Spectromancer, M&M Duel of Champions, and the like. I'd always gotten at least a little addicted to most of those, so I figured I should try this one out, despite not exactly being a WoW fan for many years. What I first noticed in beta was how clean and crisp the game was - a real looker - and coupled with the gameplay itself, I discovered a super highly-polished game, the likes we've come to expect from Blizzard.

I do think this is the CCG that can make people not familiar with the genre fans. It's less complex and much more user-friendly and intuitive than any of its counterparts, with a good tutorial that eases the player into the experience. By the time you've been eased, you're likely to be hooked, and that's when it's time to take the fight to other real online players.

This is where I think the game shines. In a way, players are somewhat disconnected from each other. There's no chatting unless you're already friends, and there are a limited number of emote choices ("Greetings", "Sorry", "Well Played", etc.). This means you're not instantly assailed by trolls out smear themselves across a good experience - you just have to play and play your best, and I appreciate this being the focus, rather than a social experience. There are plenty of other venues and games for that.

Gameplay is fairly straightforward, and in this Hearthstone lacks the depth found in other CCGs. But what it has that other CCGs don't are sounds and animated visuals for each of the cards' unique abilities. There are several 'tiers' of cards, too, so unlocking (by winning arena battles and acquiring new decks, or buying them in the store) rare and legendary cards is fun not just because they add a new layer of strategy to your game, but bring along with them interesting sounds and visuals unique to those specific cards.

The WoW universe is very present here, and most of those audio and visual cues are taken straight from it, of course. The characters are all pulled from the MMORPG and each deck matches one of nine playable character classes from that game (Cleric, Paladin, Rogue, Warrior, Warlock, Shaman, Priest, Mage, Druid). Each has its own set of special cards reserved only for that particular class, and each of the classes seems pretty well-balanced.

In the end, this is a casual time-waster and you could do SO much worse for a free-to-play game. In fact, I'd argue it's the best FTP game I've played in ages, maybe ever. The pay-for-decks aspect isn't in your face at all, and you can earn decks just by playing arena battles (battles where you and your opponent are given a random selection of cards from the start). So a player could certainly climb the ranks and earn levels and decks endlessly without ever spending a dime. Those folks who do spend cash for cards don't particularly have an advantage, either. This is still a card game, after all, so even though someone else may have several amazing legendary cards in their decks, it certainly doesn't guarantee them a victory. And in time, you'll be getting those epic cards without spending money in any case because of the reward system, and being able to spend gold for new decks, or arcane dust to purchase individual cards. Once you've been playing a while and start getting the maximum two cards of each type, you can turn those excess and unnecessary cards into arcane dust. Once you have enough dust you can actually craft even the most legendary of cards. It's not a quick process, getting to that point, but it's a really rewarding one.

All in all Hearthstone is a fantastic FTP CCG, as polished as any Blizzard game, and as addicting as any CCG. It might lack a bit of the depth or breadth of a longstanding game like Magic the Gathering, but it's a refreshing new spin and one that will likely be more appealing to a larger number of people. Final word: It's 100% free to play. Give it a spin.
  13. Mar 14, 2014
    A masterclass in game design, Hearthstone creates endless hours of top level competitive strategy gaming for the everyone to enjoy. Every time I have sat down to play a competitive game, I have always been frustrated by the natural barrier created by manual dexterity, reaction times, and age. I will never be a world warrior in Street Fighter, no one will ever call me "gosu" in Starcraft, and I'll never get a quintuple kill in DOTA2, but at least when I loose in Hearthstone, I know for a fact that the only thing holding me back from tournament level greatness is my intellect, the one thing I am tirelessly interested in improving, no matter what I do.

The rules of the game couldn't be simpler, and yet the tiniest choices you make in building your deck or playing your cards have tremendous importance and consequences. Great players are able to realize all the effects of class choice, board position, deck style and composition, and how to make calculated risks or punish careless opponents. It is the most meticulously balanced competitive game I've ever played and the more you learn, the better you are. It's as simple as that. Hearthstone is not only a great game - it makes me want to be a better gamer.
  14. Mar 14, 2014
    Hearthstone is a wonderful card game. Blizzard really hit the nail on the head with this one, and there is so much room for expansions and growth the potential alone will keep me playing for months and years to come.
  15. Mar 15, 2014
    I used to be an avid Magic the Gathering player so when I played Hearthstone I was amazed at how fun, strategic and most of all quick the matches can be. I can win or lose a match in 5 minutes or less and that makes it really fun. The sounds, visuals, and overall play style is just very fun and somewhat casual with a deeper strategy hiding beneath. Their free to play model is very good as well. You can earn a pack of cards by playing 2-3 days worth of simple quests like "Win 2 matches" or "kill 20 minions". You can spend real money to get more cards but I wouldn't say its pay to win really. Highly suggest. Expand
  16. Mar 15, 2014
    I think this game is great, you can't get bored so fast if you play some ranked games and you constantly get better. I've been playing for around 200 hours now and this game still rocks. I recommend it to everyone, can't wait for a bigger update : }
  17. Jul 22, 2014
    First off, all card games are "pay-to-win" but in Hearthstone you can choose to work for in-game gold, or buy boosters like you normally would. The curve is totally your choice, and you will always get matched with someone to similar skill in ranked or casual.

The single player is now even better than it already was, with challenging new modes and boss characters that warrant free cards
    upon defeating them! I haven't put one penny of my own money into this game and I'm having great balanced card games almost every single time.

Haters will hate, but I'll keep slinging cards.
  18. Apr 13, 2014
    There are a lot of reviews on here saying this game is P2W and it si totally not true.

Hearthstone is one of the best F2P titles I have ever played. There are some great examples out there of decks using no legendaries or epics that have won international tournaments.

And to be honest if you want the legendaries just treat it as a full price game and pay $60 for it like you normally
    would a WoW expansion and get more packs than you'll ever need.

They have also increased the quest amount since BETA

Essential and one of the best things to come out in years.
  19. Apr 30, 2014
    Since the beta my new favorite card game. I have played a small amount of MTG Online and while this is not the same game it is far more approachable and entertaining.
  20. Apr 23, 2014
    Notice that many of the negative reviews call this game a "pay-to-win" or a grind, or an overly simplistic, luck-based game. I don't think they understand the concept of strategy when it comes to a game like this- it's as much about how well you can craft a deck as much as how you play it out. They (rightly) claim that there's no way to plan for every deck, so how can you expect to win? What do they want? A deck that can beat all other decks? A deck that is prepared for every single strategy that can be thrown at them? Not only is this impossible, it also would not be fun.

All I'll say about this game is that if you are even thinking about trying the game, it's free-to-play, so there's nothing to lose!
  21. Mar 21, 2014
    Anyone who says this is a pay to win game is a fool who has never played a ccg. This is one the fairest pay models that I've seen in an online ccg.
    The gameplay is similar enough to games like Magic: The Gathering that if you played that or games like it you should have no problem picking it up and playing it while at the same time having some small changes which gives the game a
    completely different flow.
    If you like card games this is worth checking out and since it's free there is nothing stopping you.
  22. Jul 29, 2014
    Before posting my review, I read dozens of other user-submitted reviews and felt that the majority of those who gave Hearthstone ridiculously low ratings either did not have enough time to practice the game, had a negative view of the game because they had trouble winning, or simply disliked the game due to the lack of violence, intense action or a gripping, movie-like storyline. My counter to these views, to be frank, is to remember that this is a strategic card game that is based off of the Warcraft series. I understand that this genre does not have the same appeal as violent or action-packed games, but if you play with an open mind, practice different strategies, experiment with hundreds of thousands of possible card combinations, and learn from your mistakes, you will find Hearthstone to be a very deep and creative gameplay experience that is complex enough to be extremely entertaining, while also being simple enough for those who practice to win. All of the angry reviews that say that you have to pay to win in Hearthstone are the biased opinions of those who do not have the patience to practice getting better and do not have the money to satisfy their impatience. Even when I had only played Hearthstone for one or two months of somewhat regular gameplay I could easily win the majority of my matches in casual mode and more than half of the matches in ranked mode with a deck full of basic (free, given) cards. For those people who complain that Hearthstone isn't deep because of its lack of a storyline, I would recommend that they try out any of the Warcraft games or World of Warcraft to satisfy their desire for a deep, detailed and engrossing fantasy storyline. All of the cards and characters in Hearthstone are directly taken from those games, after all. I think that the biggest problem that angry Hearthstone reviewers are experiencing is that they do not play Hearthstone with an open mind. I understand that different people have different opinions, but the fact that there are so many uninformed and, quite frankly, untrue complaints about Hearthstone, I feel that it does the game justice to urge more people to play the game without any untrue beliefs, and to form an informed opinion of the game based on actual gameplay. Expand
  23. Apr 30, 2014
    As someone who would never think to play a CCG, Hearthstone has taken me by surprise! It's easy to access game-play was a downside to me at first but the more I played it (at first just with friends), the more I started to enjoy it for it's depth. Not to mention the amazing artwork that's in the game, from the spell-animations to the sound effects, the golden card-animations and more. Now that Hearthstone is really getting bigger in the competitive scene I'm only looking forward more and more to what it will have to offer as an e-sport. Expand
  24. Apr 19, 2014
    Many reviewers seem to be trashing the game simply because they aren't very good at it, and don't understand the mechanics. That's too bad, because the game itself is fantastic. There's a lot to do with constructive play and arena play. Ranked and casual matches as well. The classes are initially very balanced, with strengths and weaknesses for each class. However, skilled players will understand card synergy and use this knowledge to crush unskilled players. If those unskilled players would just play and practice, thinking about their mistakes, they would realize the game is much better than what they initially thought. That's what happened to me. Hearthstone is a fantastic, deep card game, with a large amount of replay-ability, and a solid community based around it. Give it a shot, you'll probably be hooked. Expand
  25. Mar 26, 2014
    Love this game, its short fast fun, Blizzard made a nice thing here, lets hope they keep it. While easy to learn it is complex, ive got many of my friends in to this game, even my parrents, and there over 60.
  26. Mar 31, 2014
    Hearthstone is casually addictive and fun. The soothing music and the nice feel to the aesthetic make you sit there for hours. It has a nice depth in the gameplay and easy to get into.
  27. Apr 5, 2014
    Hearthstone is the best online CCG currently available on the market. It's a game that's VERY easy to get into yet as you get more cards it gradually builds upon it's self.

First off I would like to point out that anyone who is calling this game pay to win is someone you should not listen too. It is entirely possible to get every card in the game without paying a single cent. And it is
    entirely possible to get to legendary rank using free cards. Now many people will claim that you can just buy a bunch of packs and get a bunch of legendaries. But pretty much every legendary is highly situational, so just having 10 legendaries doesn't actually help you, and in fact it's rather counter productive.

Now that that's out of the way we can get to the rest of the game. I would like to first start off by saying that Hearthstone just oozes polish. Everything about the impact of a high attack creature slamming into an enemy hero to the glorious effects of the spells. You can just see the effort that was put into the game.
    The next thing I would like to commend the game on is it's resource system. Instead of having manna cards that you draw in a game like magic, you simply get one manna per turn until you reach 10. This get's rid of some of the RNG that plagues many card games, but of course it still has some RNG...because well...it's a card game. But it's still a great improvement. Hearthstone also has a very deep meta. As I stated hearthstone starts off relatively simple and then gradually becomes more complex. Due to the unique play style of all the classes you see a lot of diversity and meta shifting which adds a lot to the game's longevity. And with more cards coming i our future, I see Hearthstone being around for a while.

All in all hearthstone is fantastic and I highly recommend giving it a download. And even if you end up not liking it for whatever reason, it's free! So there's no reason to not give it a try.
  28. Apr 4, 2014
    REALLY FUN GAME!

I just can't beat the priest tho. But it still is a really fun game and I think everyone should enjoy it! Once you get the hang of it, its so fun!
  29. Apr 6, 2014
    As opposed to what numerous other reviewers are saying, this is a very good TCG - very much on terms with Magic the Gathering itself. The number of cards and the uniqueness in each one was very well thought out, as were the strengths and weaknesses to each counter, and Blizzard did well to make sure powerful cards would not be overly game-changing by giving access to numerous counters.

A number of people have been saying that the game is luck based, but I would have to greatly disagree. The game revolves around building a deck based on your strengths and / or what you feel works best in combination. Pulling a bad hand that results in your loss isn't the game's fault -- it's the player's own fault to grow around and build a deck around those weaknesses. This is definitely not exclusive to Hearthstone, either. The central point of TCGs is building a deck, finding where the weakness in that deck lies, and replacing cards with other cards to fix those problems. Even the cheapest cards can still turn the tide of the battle, and make your deck better.

Another complaint I've seen is paying for card packs. Again, this is far from being exclusive to Hearthstone. Buying packs in stores has been integral to TCGs for decades. Even so, Hearthstone is very generous by making sure that you're not FORCED to spend real money to buy new packs. Even long-term players can live on a pack every day or two from the gold earned from quests, and still have a good chance at getting good cards and beating people who spend the highest amount of real money on 40 packs.

The one stipulation I have that stops me from giving this a perfect score is the arena system. While it works much like the draft tournaments for larger TCGs, like Magic,, the number of cards you get each time is too low, and often the three cards per draft don't work with any of the other cards you're given, usually resulting in a deck that makes no sense. While the idea is very good, each draft should have 5-6 cards instead of three, thus giving more variation for deck building.

Overall 9/10, a VERY good time sink when you don't have access to other games, or want a well-built virtual TCG experience.
  30. Apr 13, 2014
    A couple of weeks ago, I laid out over a grand for super-powerful new PC rig to finally achieve the insane visual fidelity on the most cutting edge games available on PC. As soon as I got the thing running I installed Steam and the first game I saw was Hearthstone. It was free and I downloaded it on a quick whim.

So how does my blazing fast PC handle Crysis 3? BF4? Metro:Last Light and
    all? Couldn't tell you. I'm so hopelessly in Hearthstone's thrall - to a frickin' collectible card game, I haven't touched a single triple A game since I turned the damn thing on!

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft? Free to play except for those who spend £1000 on a new PC only to play 'cards' with it...

You live and learn...
  31. Apr 18, 2014
    I've played since closed beta and I have to say Hearthstone is a very good game. You can play it casually or very in depth, but luck still plays a huge factor.
    Some say it's pay to win. This is not true, people went to rank 1 without spending any money. And every big card can be shut down with basic cards.
    Some say some classes are overpowered. This is also not true, it's only because
    how the metagame is shifting. Every class has been called overpowered.
    Some say blizzard changes the game too much. In beta they changed a lot, yes. That's because it was a beta.
    Some say it's weird you can't trade cards. Well, it's a card game, not a Trading card game. They put in a feature that allows you to create cards, which has a lot of bonuses in itself.
    Also, their arena mode is very solid. You have interesting matches and the reward almost always pays for the arena cost. The only time you really need to spend money is if you want to buy tons of cards. But it stays your choice. You could spend a lot of money and be unlucky with the opening of packs or spend nothing and be very lucky and get the cards you want.
  32. Apr 18, 2014
    Uh.. this game's good, mmkay.

It can be frustrating at times, but it's quite fun. Also low/money commitment, although the opposite of both can be true if you let them.
  33. Apr 28, 2014
    The game is extremely polished and addictive. Between its friendly design and its flexible approach to a free-to-play economy, Hearthstone has pulled me into a genre that I didn't care about in the past, but also managed to keep me interested longer than any games I've played during the past years.
  34. Apr 30, 2014
    Any idea that this game is pay to win is ridiculous. It might be pay to do better for those who are not very good or pay to collect every single card, but collecting every card does not mean winning.
  35. Apr 30, 2014
    I'll start off by saying I never liked card games, I was never interested in them and I thought they were a waste of time, but I decided to give this game a go because it's interface looked gorgeous.

I tried it for a couple of games and here I am, a couple of months later still playing it, still climbing to legend.

This game is amazing, if it wasn't for the glitches and issues with
    EU servers I'd saw it's flawless.

Cards are pretty balanced aside from about 15% of the cards, these 15% don't get used in the current meta for obvious reasons but if you try to make them work, they WILL work.

Classes are so beautifully designed. The meta keeps turning around and every single time you see a class at the bottom of the winrates you can expect that by the end of the month it will for some reason make it to the top again.

I never spent a penny and I managed to get all the core cards for most of the decks in just the first couple of days, due to the insane headstart that the game gives you with all the packs and the arena ticket and such.

You can get all the cards in the game without spending a penny by simply being decent at the arena. Grinding gold becomes absolutely no problem if you just spend some effort into learning the mechanics and the game.
    I'd definitely recommend this game to anyone who likes card games or is remotely interested in them. Everything about it will hook you into it. It will end up being really difficult NOT to spend money on it not because it requires grinding, but because it's so beautifully designed you will not be able to wait to get the cards.
  36. Apr 30, 2014
    This game is amazing. I've been playing since October regularly. The arena is fun where you pick 30 cards- 1 at a time from a choice of 3. Constructed is very good too where you build your deck from your card library. You can either pay cash for additional cards and arena or if you spend time instead of money you can acquire most of the cards that you want. Personally I have not spent anything and have most of the cards, but I have spent many hours enjoying the game.

The tutorial at the beginning is very nice at introducing players to the concepts. Now available on ipad. They have been slow at first to introduce additional cards because they don't want to introduce a bunch of new cards since the game just came out in ipad. But a new pve expansion with 30 cards is coming out this summer, and expansions to follow later after that.

Overall amazing ccg, fully playable for free. No trading is allowed in the game so there's no bots.
  37. Apr 30, 2014
    I don't usually play virtual games, but this one is really casual yet enjoyable.

It is really easy to catch on the way people play Hearthstone. 250 dollars and 200 expert packs later, I imitated the decks most professionals use together and their playstyles on reddit, giving me a smooth sail up the ranks. After a point, the game is simply a coin flip as most decks and playstyles are
    similar, making it more based on luck. However, I still enjoy playing with professional gamers and having the game recognize me as one of their kind.

All in all, if you'd like to excel in games without spending too much time, this is highly recommended.
  38. May 10, 2014
    I HATED card games, but now i have seen this, i am astounded, it is based on the world of Warcraft genre. Even if you don't like world of Warcraft this game will not be a disappointment. A free, 2GB game packed with action, many players, and engrossing graphics and atmosphere. You can either play casual, or ranked. Choose to buy packs, or play for free. The choice is yours. But, what i can promise, is that this game is "Easy to learn, hard to master." Expand
  39. Jul 30, 2014
    Hearthstone is a great experience for someone who enjoys the Warcraft universe. It really is a casual way to get yourself into the universe, if WoW feels too heavy. The sound engineering is fantastic, the graphics are light and fun, and the game play is engaging.

They recently released Curse of Naxxramas, which to me was fun, but slightly underwhelming, which is why I gave it a 9
    instead of a 10.

Overall, it's a great game, and worth giving a shot. I've built probably 4 or 5 decks for my Pally, and finally come across a deck that works for my play style. A game that is that flexible and contains that amount of depth deserves a look or two.
  40. Jun 7, 2014
    Simple, fun, time vampire, complex, well made, highly entertaining and this from a card game virgin. I cannot fault this game at all and see much future potential. It's something (for me) very different from the usual games I play. Yes there's a shop and yes it's expensive, but no one has to buy anything! As you play you earn in game currency which can be used to buy card packs. If you have the time, it's a simple trade off. There's zero grind as the game is fun to play and you're learning as you go. Oh, and it's FREE to play!!! Expand
  41. Mar 14, 2014
    As someone who isn't a huge card game fan, I find this game to be insanely fun and addictive. The gameplay is simple and easy to pick up, but it's full of hidden depth and strategy. The look is charming, the card art is amazing, the music is delightful, and the matchmaking is great about pitting you against players of your own level. The freemium elements are brilliantly implemented, and I don't feel at all like they're being forced down my throat or as if they're necessary.

The game is free, guys. Get it.
  42. Apr 4, 2014
    I enjoy games with a good amount of depth to them, and generally shy away from any games "casual" in nature, so it's a significant statement to say I've continued playing the game since the early days of the closed beta.

Rather than re-state everything good about the game that has already been said, I'd rather debunk a lot of the (false) assertions made in some of the mixed and negative
    reviews.

The three most common complaints:

1. "It's pay to win; the only way you can get a good deck is if you pour tons of money or grinding hours into opening hundreds of packs to get the legendary cards." My stance: In general I hate the microtransaction model in any game, but it's very well developed and is in no way pay to win in HS. There are plenty of testimonials of players who have poured literally hundreds of dollars into the game who still find themselves flagging on ladder. Many pros and streamers have demonstrated "budget" decks with few or no rare cards that have made it to the highest levels of constructed ladder. I mostly play arena, and I've never had to pay to enter; the daily gold quests and arena winnings have given me a steady surplus of gold. To date I haven't had to grind OR pay to win a lot and have fun. To be fair, I've got a high win/loss ratio, so the majority of players (especially new players) will indeed have to either play constructed ladder in between arena runs to earn money from quests or occasionally pay the $2 for an arena entry. But, the system rewards skill; if you play well and make the right decisions, you make a profit on your arena-ing. That potential alone makes the microtransaction model palatable to me. (Naturally, I'm biased, but still; I wouldn't mind paying for the occasional arena entry if I knew it were possible for me to become skilled enough to play for free).

2. "It's imbalanced; X class is OP". There are inevitably going to be some differences in balance when there are nine classes to choose from and only 200 cards in total. But, there is no class that is completely discounted in constructed; in the most popular set of 14 or so deck lists in the legend (read: highest) ladder, every class is represented at least once. In arena, hunter is decidedly weaker, and mage perhaps a bit better than others, but the "luck of the draw" style of arena balances (or at least mitigates) the power factor of any given race. I've reached 12 wins in arena (the best you can do in an arena run) with 4 classes at this point, including some classes I originally thought would be very difficult to accomplish this with.

3. "It's too casual and simplistic". Although (after putting many hours into the game) I'm indeed finding myself wanting a bit more depth, it's got enough strategic relevance to compel professional gamers to divert considerable careers to Hearthstone (consider Day[9], Kripparian, and Artosis, to name a few). If this were truly the flappy birds of Card Carrying Games, these players wouldn't have looked twice at the Hearthstone experience.

It's not a perfect game, and they're still working out some of the bugs, but they've made a lot of progress over the past few months. And on the whole, it does a better job at merging the accessibility of a casual game with the depth and persistence of a big title than any other game I've seen to date.

I was a bit surprised to find so many (essentially misinformed/wrong)
  43. Mar 17, 2014
    This game is addictivelyfun!

Those scoring this game extremely low don't have a valid argument as to why they don't like the game. First off, the game is FREE! Those complaining they can't easily get a good deck when they paid nothing for the game are ridiculous. Blizzard has to make some kind of money on their products, or else they wouldn't produce any. View the download of this game
    as a free trial. You can play through some fun tutorials with basic cards, unlock everything you can with the free decks you can get, and then when ready to take on online opponents, be prepared to get whooped... which is still fun, because you get to see the various deck strategies others have put together, and gives you ideas on your own. I'm having so much fun with this game, I decided to pay $50 for more cards, which is really the price of a normal game nowadays anyways. Second, when you play ranked games, your rank fluctuates up and down based on games you win/lose, so more times than not you are playing up against equally ranked opponents with similarly powerful decks.

I wish Blizzard had a whiner-detector to prevent the complainers from downloading their free game.
  44. May 26, 2014
    An excellent way to spice up the Warcraft world, it has a pay to win system (in a very VERY lose sense of the word) Everything in the game can be obtained for free, it is also not extremely difficult to compete again kids who steal their parents credit card because you can very much obtain a very good deck without having to pay for it within a single week of play. You can only buy card packs (possibly cosmetic items) so far and I assume that is the way it'll stay, the ranking system can't be cheated with money and you can't buy advantages. A lot of people are judging this game cause they get into it and get destroyed because their decks are underdeveloped and know nothing of the game and assume 'must be the pay to win system'. No the game is very much fair to either side, even if you drop 10 grand on cards in the game some cards can't be gained from packs.

If you aren't easily frustrated and are willing to become a noob again (your best blizzard knowledge won't help you here) then download it for free from the site no fee or anything at the very least you can use it to keep in contact with WoW,Starcraft,or Diablo friends without having to buy a game/subscription.
  45. Jun 12, 2014
    A phenomenal free to play card game. I would advise most to disregard the complaints of it being "pay to win" as I've only ever spent 10$ and have achieved Legend Rank (the highest Constructed Rank) once and sub 3 in the other seasons. It is by far the cheapest and most satisfying card game I've played. If you become even slightly good at the game you can actually profit unlimited gold in Arena while supplying yourself unlimited game play. At the absolute very least this game is worth the download for anyone remotely interested in card games. Expand
  46. Aug 11, 2014
    Insanely amusing. I wasn't sure about it but after I tried I became obsessed by it. What a talent! to build such a Great solid game. And it's gonna be much better by DLCs and updates. And a free for all. I wanna kiss everyone in Blizzard company.
  47. May 22, 2014
    I've spent countless hours on this game already. Great freemium game, easy to pick up and play, no purchase required. You can watch pro players start with free accounts and rise to the top with no purchases on Twitch. Good stuff.
  48. May 1, 2014
    Just need to provide a quick response to all those people who are calling it P2W. there are a huge amount of examples of decent players getting to legendary rank using only common cards (most of which you start with and the rest of which are really cheap and you will most likely get them in packs without paying anything quite quickly) the only reason you think it is P2W is because you are bad at the game and need to find something to blame. If you are looking for examples of getting to legendary with commons just search "Trump" on youtube. Anyway the game is really fun and a lot deeper than it seems at first. Expand
  49. Jun 21, 2014
    I never thought I'd get into a card game but this ones growing on me every time I play. I cant speak on the competitive side of this game because I'm a complete noob to this genre of game but its certainly fun and strangely addicting!
  50. Sep 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall Premise: Digital Card Games x Warcraft to the greatest effect.

Graphics and Sound: The graphics look like Warcraft to be sure and the the sound effects to accompany cards are definitely…interesting at times throughout.

Playability and Entertainment: Definitely very accessible and entertaining to collect cards as you progress in skill.

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 9.25/10.0
  51. Mar 25, 2014
    It is fun, it is user friendly and moreover u see "Old familiar faces" from Warcraft and WoW. I've never played card games before, and some friends(who plays CCG like MtG, Berserk) says that there are bags in mechanics, but hey! Hearthstone is ot about board game mechanics! Is is about having fun with Jaina, Rexar and all other characters u have loved while playing WC. It is a chance to have a new experience with them. It is totally free, it has no duties, nothing to lose, only to give! In summary: if you like Warcraft universe this is must play game for you! Expand
  52. Jun 19, 2014
    Very good game. Everything "game-y" is great and it has high production values.
    But for some reason I am getting "matched" with people with several legendaries, combo decks that kill me in a minute. I bought about 14 packs for real money. I got several legenadaries, epics and rares.
    I have build a deck that "ran" from rank 20 to rank 17 without losing. Again I am getting matched with
    people who obviously paid way more for cards, with cards that cost INSANE amounts of dust they had to buy them.
    Also, WHAT THE **** is Arena ? Paying real money ? *sigh*
  53. Mar 26, 2014
    It is a card game and does have some level of a random element to it. When I started playing it first felt like just a card game but on for your PC. I kept playing and really got into the game when I realized the versatility of the characters and how every class not only has a different play style but how you can actually pick out your style of play for each class. If you do not like strategy based card games, stay away - If you have never played one before, Hearthstone provides a great experience to learn the game and test your deck building and strategy skills. Expand
  54. Mar 17, 2014
    Heartsone - Heroes of Warcraft is one of the best card games that I've ever played, the design is beatiful and motivational, the voiceover is perfect in all lenguages, the rules are simple and easylearned, but as you level up in the game, it gets harder and harder, a well balanced game. The classes, cards, decks creation, cratures, magics, everything that you need in a card game Hearthstone offers you, almost perfect game! Expand
  55. Mar 20, 2014
    This game puts Magic:The Gathering to shame.
    Altough it's free to play you never feel like its pay to win.
    Great balance and its much faster than Magic.
  56. Mar 18, 2014
    Я просто напишу"+" и "-" игры.
    + Интересная боевая система;
    + Хорошая графическая составляющая;
    + Интересно собирать карты;

- Порой бои выигрываются благодаря удачи вся стратегия коту под хвост.
  57. Mar 18, 2014
    Arena mode gives players random cards to build a deck with before having us go head to head. Cannot buy cards for arena, only player skill matters there. This is where the fun is at so do yourself the service of playing this amazing free to play game. You have nothing to lose but your time.
  58. Mar 19, 2014
    For starters do not listen to the people who say that this game is pay to win. Players have reached the top of the rankings in the game without paying a penny and indeed some have reached very high just using the basic decks given to the player at the start of the game. This game can feel unfair sometimes and i believe that is what these players are feeling. However this is due to the random nature of some of the cards and the very real aspect of luck involved in drafting the right cards for the right situation. Although this leads to some seemingly unfair games it does tend to balance itself out the more games you play. Anyway now the good and the bad. (Also please remember that this game is free and every card in the game can be earned without paying a penny!)

Good:
    Brilliant and addictive card game. The sounds and animations are both extremely satisfying and the graphics are very reminiscent of WoW which gives it a nostalgic feel. As mentioned above the payment method is rather moot depending on how you wish to play the game. If you want to jump into the game and be able to play every deck then and there you will have to sink in some money to buy packs of cards. However this is not how the game is meant to be played and is much more suited to a slow progression doing quests and arena runs (its the journey people). Not to mention skilled players have reached the top of the rankings just days after starting a new free account.

Bad:
    So far everything has been quite positive but like every game it is not perfect (which is not what a 10 indicates fyi). The game does still even after release suffer from some annoying card swapping and overlapping bugs, these can be a real pain and even cost you games. The game is also very lacking in playing modes. Only two currently exist at launch, constructed and arena. This problem is likely to be addressed in later expansion packs or DLC but for the moment the area is lacking.
    Certain cards in the game are just simply stronger versions of others and are almost a 100% pick every time in a deck, this can make match ups very repetitive as you are bound to see these certain cards in every game. Unfortunately most of these cards are legendary (which are very rare) which often leads people to believe the game is pay to win (even though these cards are fully achievable through free means).
  59. Aug 1, 2014
    Fairly simple, extremely fun, and complex in its own way. People say its pay to win, but seriously its not. Yes, legendaries tend to be unfair against players who do not have them, i agree. But, its not like they can dominate the game alone. The designers made it so that EVERY class has some sort of removal. Ex, Rogue with assassinate, hunter with hunter's mark, pally with its equality- consecrate combo, and so on! Really, hearthstone isn't pay to win if you think about it. Moreover, its a 1/15 chance getting a legendary, so its not like everyone who pays money for packs is getting AMAZING GAMECHANGING CARDS!

Finally, onto the gameplay. Hearthstone is basically a simpler, online version of Magic, with it being better in some ways, and worst in others. Playing the game actually requires some thinking, strategy, and actual dedication to the game. You may have an amazing deck, you still need to know how to play it, especially versus other classes. However, learning how to play the game is extremely easy.
  60. May 5, 2014
    Great and fun game, the problem is luck determinant in a lot of matches, and also opening packs, but well, is a card game so i guess it should be ok.
    The second problem i found is the game needs something else to keep me playing it, i just log in do my dailies and quit.
  61. Apr 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. я поиграл в ету игру но ана шикарная пой на карты играй с друзьями и все тагдали и получай удаволствие Expand
  62. Jul 4, 2014
    I love how many ignorant reviewers say that this game is pay 2 win, it isn't. You can buy packs for in game currency sure if you grind for them without quest then it is really hard to get the packs but if you play at least 2-5 matches a day (depending on the quest) you can get at least 3-5 packs a week which is enough for a free to play player to feel satisfied. Of course the people who pay for the packs are gonna get them quicker but if you know how to play it wont matter if they have a deck filled with 5 or more legendaries you can still beat them. You just have to try so you can get better at the game or learn the way i learnt the game - watch streams and videos of better players playing and see what kind of decisions they make against other players. All in all the game is fun and can get addictive if you are trying to get all the card or get to high legend in ranked play, it does have some balancing issues because some cards are better than others but that happens in every game. Expand
  63. May 11, 2014
    Okay everyone, Hearthstones a great game. It really is. It's simple yet addictive...and free. One of the best games to come out in a very long time and a nice, if rather simplified version of magic. Did I mention it's free?

There's a lot of people who are saying that this game is trash, and its pay to win. Well no.....it's not. In constructed play (gameplay where you choose from the
    cards you own) it is perfectly possible to take your deck all the way to legend rank with a very basic assortment of cards, as shown by very good players on youtube. This game is not pay-to-win but people like to say that when they lose because its an excuse for them to do badly without worrying. The game may appear simple but there are often many many different ways to approach each turn and all of them will have different outcomes. If you just play the cards in your hand without watching the board, you're probably going to lose. If you analyse and make decisions based on what you think your opponent is going to do you'll often do much better.

Arena is the place where everyone becomes equal. You draft your own cards given to you from a selection and make the best deck possible. 3 Losses and your arena stretch is over. The more games you win, the more you're rewarded. Win seven games and you'll have earn not only a new deck but more often than not enough gold for another run. It is therefore entirely possible to get new cards without spending a penny.

Even if you do come to the conclusion that it is pay-to-win I still don't think you'll regret giving this game an hour or two of your time. Hope to play you all soon!
  64. May 14, 2014
    Hearthstone si very easy to learn and difficult to master. This game doesn't require buying cards with real money and getting in game gold is not hard if you play a bit every day or if you're good in the arena. I think the game is mostly very well balanced (there isn't a class that is really OP) but some cards still might still need minor tweaking. I'm excited to see how Blizzard will develop the game further. Expand
  65. May 29, 2014
    Hearthstone is absolutely wonderful. You can either be in a very fast paced game with a lot of attacking, Or you could be in a very defensive game where a lot of health cards and taunt cards are played. Its also about the strategies and the good thing about Hearthstone is that it allows you to use all the class that are available and all the class have their strengths and weakness. It all comes down to your strategies and how you use your good cards and how you use your not so good ones. Expand
  66. Jun 4, 2014
    Ich liebe Hearthstone und habe es schon auf dem Notebook gesuchtet. Nun gibt es mein lieblings Kartenspiel endlich auf dem Ipad ! Ich kann es jedem empfehlen der das Blizzard universum mag und spaß mit coolen Animationen haben will. Einziger manko -> ab und zu gibt es disconnects, daher -1 Star
  67. Jun 20, 2014
    Öncelikle oyun çok iyi.İlk baştaki dengesizlik sonraki güncellemeler ile düzeldi.Oyuna ilk başladığınızda "Şu sınıf karşıma çıkarsa kaybederim" şeklinde düşünebiliyorsunuz ancak ilerlediğinizde yeni kartlar açıp taktiğinizi oluşturduğunuzda bu düşünce ortadan kalkıyor...
    Oyun negatif yanları şunlar
    Kart Sayısı(Yaklaşık 300 küsür var ancak az geliyır)
    Masa şekilleri (Sadece 2 masa şekli
    var)
    Soundtrack eksikliği

Bunlar pek sorun değil aslında...İlerde düzeltiebilicek şeyler...Kısaca direk oyuna BAŞLAYIN!
  68. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is a well done and expansive virtual CCG. Unfortunately there are some aspects that suck including not being able to trade cards, pay 2 play model, and lack of creativity in deck creation. However this is the best online TCG today; and will likely be in the future as Blizzard continues to expand the game. With 9 unique classes from the "Warcraft" universe this adds a unique way to play the CCG. For being relatively new the game is fairly balanced in time it will be even better as they patch and perfect it. I like the new expansion as it adds single player that is very difficult. I played Pokemon and Magic back in the day. Both solid TCG... but Blizzard released a great product here that allows players to be ranked competitively. To those people that say the skill ceiling is low and it is only P2P they are wrong... as they would clearly know if they spent more than 10 hours on the game. Expand
  69. Aug 16, 2014
    This game is awesome, sure it had his problems over the beta but Blizzard fixed almost all of them and the class balance work is very fine too.
    The mechanic is both simple and funny, so it's easy to a new player to learn the game basics but he or she will have the possibility to make weighted plays too, it's a card game but it's not all based on luck.
    Contrary to what so many bad reviews
    say, it's not a pay for win game at all, nor arena is a pay to play. Of course you start with few cards only but with some patience you can build competitive decks without spending money at all, other than that you can find on Internet a lot of lists of "budget decks", perfect for who has just started; it's a COLLECTIBLE card game and you can't expect to start having all the cards from the beginning! Speaking about the arena: I think that a lot of reviewers are just whiners, when I started I had difficulty in the arena too but once you get used to it, maybe reading some guides, you can gain a lot from it, and accelerate the collection of cards pretty well. Expand
  70. Aug 26, 2014
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is a quality free-to-play card game. There is no way to trade cards between players, which eliminates any possibility of gold farming or exploitation. You can get gold by winning battles, completing quests, and you can spend gold on booster packs of 5 cards, or you can pay to enter the arena, which is like an MTG draft event. You can also spend a bunch of gold on a level of the new DLC, which takes a popular WoW raid and allows the player to face of in card battles with mini-bosses to earn rare cards, unique to the expansion. The first wing of Curse of Naxxaramus is available for free and is tons of fun. Expand
  71. Sep 22, 2014
    Hearthstone is an online card game that is free to play but Blizzard (the company who makes it) profits from it by online purchases.

It is really based on Magic the Gathering (MTG). There are a lot of key differences though:

It is much easier to learn and start playing it. Mastering it is still very difficult. It much faster than any other card game, with games that can last down to
    5 minutes.

Unlike MTG, you will never get mana flooded or having too few lands. The game gives you a mana crystal every turn. This also means that less cards are needed in a good deck, i.e. you dont need the expansive multicolored lands like in MTG.

It is much cheaper that MTG. In hearthstone spending 200-250$ will get you all the cards, and half the legenderies. Probably more. In MTG a single card can cost more than the above amount. In a MTG deck you will need 4 cards of each. Decks are also 60 cards minimum, 20-25 of which are lands that are in general non-basik and cost money too. In Hearthstone they are exactly 30, an not lands. In addition in Hearthstone you actually get gold by making guests and just wining games in ladder. MTG you have to win some local event or booster draft. Nobody will give you free packs in MTG.

You can do something with you duplicates, you disenchant them to get arcane dust, so you can craft the cards you need. In MTG you sell or trade them, but the bulk of cards rots in the basement.

The arena, the draft analogy of MTG. cost 2$ to enter. Again much cheaper than MTG.

The game really shines on the ipad air.
    The game itself is very polished and relatively bug free. It also is very addicting and fun to play.

Getting competitive is easy if you are good at it. Just get to top ranking in legendary and you go to Blizzcon.

Some things I have to say.
    -The game is extremely difficult at higher ranks. Players there spend a lot of time on it, so if you don't do the same you will lose and drop in rank. No matter your cards. You CANNOT pay 1000$ and expect to be top player.

The only suggestions I have so far is to make climbing the ladder more interesting. As it is now, the only real reason to play on ladder is to get to rank 20 to get a card back. The next goal is to go to legend rank, which is very difficult. There is a huge number of games in-between that do not offer any type of reward except the 10 per 3 wins. Blizzard should really change that.

1. Jul 6, 2014
    When Blizzard announced they were making a digital CCG, we all expected it to look and sound beautiful, and there was little doubt that it would be well-balanced, but I don’t think anyone anticipated this level of sophistication and subtle brilliance.
  2. Jun 28, 2014
    Simple rules, high production values, low system requirements and huge tactical freedom make Hearthstone one of the best card games available. And if you take into account the free-to-play model – it’s the best one. [05/2014, p.62]
  3. Jun 7, 2014
    A fine example of a great free-to-play game. Hearthstone is not only an addictive and well designed card game, but absolutely fair with gamers that do not wish to spend money on it.