8.1

1. gypsydavey
    Jul 13, 2007
    Awful interface, slow loading, nonsensical fighting, boring, maybe 3 is too many.
  2. C.D.
    Oct 17, 2007
    No story line, not a pleasant expierence. Does look good.
  3. Feb 15, 2017
    Ants simulator, mess edition.

The fact that, for the campaign, I had to play an elf, the unwanted plague of fantasy cliché races, is far from being the worst aspect of HoAE. Even with his ridiculous voice acting and dialogues. What is really, really bad is that everything is so tiny that I have no clue what any unit looks like, what it's doing, which side it's on, etc. I'm basically
    Ants simulator, mess edition.

What is really, really bad is that everything is so tiny that I have no clue what any unit looks like, what it's doing, which side it's on, etc. I'm basically watching swarms of colored pixels clashing under the constant swirling sound of a toilet flush (the horrible music being turned off as usual.) I get that games think they are cool because they don't offer a pause (they do it so that we don't see the flaws while pretending it's for the challenge,) but what this one truly needs is a bloody zoom key, since we don't have 40 inches magnifying glasses to mount in front of our monitors.

Do I even need to mention the terrible micro-unit micro-management ? I Guess when a creature is only 4 pixels high, there's no room for putting a brain inside it.

1. A massive improvement on "Cossacks" and its kin, and it's a real pleasure to play. [Nov 2006, p.86]
  2. PC Format
    Like a good pie, but with crap pastry on top. This is a game weighed down by an army of faults, but it's still periodically entertaining. [Jan 2007, p.64]
    A forgettable experience all the way through. While we really like Elhant's attitude, it's the only thing that stands out as unique in this game.