• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: May 23, 2006
7.9

1. DawidK.
    Aug 3, 2007
    One of the best sequels so far. Gain of good looking without loss in Heroes climate. Only Heroes III is still better than this one. To arms brothers! Theres a game that is worth playing! ( something unusuall these days).
  2. BrentD.
    May 27, 2006
    This is the Heroes of old school. The game looks prettier but it pays just like the older HoMM games, which is a very good thing. I was a bit dissapointed when number 4 changed too much for my liking, but the return to classic Heroes play makes this one a gem.
  3. KyleF.
    May 27, 2006
    This is a supreme example of a hero game. Definately the best in the Heroes series so far. I've been playing pretty much nonstop since I got it and will spend many many looooooon ghours playing some more. And more! And more!
  4. Humanophage
    Jun 30, 2006
    A step backwards from HoMMIV, but a step towards what is good for the series. After all, the charm of HoMM lies in its noble simplicity, while the realm of mildly sophisticated fantasy turn-based strategies nowadays is ruled by the brilliant Age of Wonders. The gameplay in HoMMV is not as captivating as that of HoMMII or HoMMIII, I personally find it somewhat unfinished and raw as opposed A step backwards from HoMMIV, but a step towards what is good for the series. After all, the charm of HoMM lies in its noble simplicity, while the realm of mildly sophisticated fantasy turn-based strategies nowadays is ruled by the brilliant Age of Wonders. The gameplay in HoMMV is not as captivating as that of HoMMII or HoMMIII, I personally find it somewhat unfinished and raw as opposed to wholesome completeness of the early titles, but it is still fairly fine. The new graphical style looks rather cheesy, almost as cheesy as in Warcraft. It makes me wonder if in the future people shall talk about a peculiar early '00-ies style in 3D strategic games. HoMM5 graphics might be flamboyant and colourful, but only the castle screens can truly be called beautiful (I particularly like Haven). HoMM3 seem to be the best in the series in this aspect: tastefully schematic on the map, realistic and majestic on castle screens, battle fields, etc. To my mind, the perfect style would be a mixture of an upgraded HoMM3: RoE and M&M6 (that uses altered photographs as illustrations). But I digress. And graphics don't really matter, after all. What bothers me the most about HoMM5 is that they decided to screw the universe. Of course, things started to get funny around M&M8, but I still truly hope that continuity shall be restored later, now that M&M is seemingly ressurected. Expand
  5. KlausB.
    May 25, 2006
    The game is absolutely awesome. Of course no game is *perfect* at the time of release, but the lots patches being released until the first expansion comes out - and I think even afterwards - will not only fix the last bugs and balance glitches but also add new features to the game! It's a pity the game isn't rerated afterwards.
  6. JerryB.
    Jun 5, 2006
    As a former Heros enthusiast, I expected to be disappointed in Heros V, like I was on Heros IV. I wasn't. While it doesn't break any new frontiers, Heros V is much improved over IV, sort of like Heros III (my favorite) on steriods. It requires heavy computing muscle to bring out the rich envirnoment, so be warned. I lowered the score because of the editor omisssion but hope a As a former Heros enthusiast, I expected to be disappointed in Heros V, like I was on Heros IV. I wasn't. While it doesn't break any new frontiers, Heros V is much improved over IV, sort of like Heros III (my favorite) on steriods. It requires heavy computing muscle to bring out the rich envirnoment, so be warned. I lowered the score because of the editor omisssion but hope a future patch brings it back, as I think the real value to this series in in playing the aftermarket produced maps other enthusiasts make. So bring on the editor UBbisoft/Nival, please! It's a buy at an 8 though. Expand
  7. BurtC
    Jul 26, 2008
    Best artwork ever if you have a good video card. I think this game is awesome.
  8. HelenT.
    May 26, 2006
    Almost perfect. Almost! If this game had shipped with the map editor and a few small other things, I may have givne it a 9 (it would take something truly astounding to merit a 10). I'm hard on games though, an 8 is something I reserve for the very cream of the crop. Once I have a chance to try that map editor, this may even merit a 9.
  9. FrancisB.
    May 23, 2006
    Awesome! But not innovative.
  10. LukeM.
    May 31, 2006
    Best Game Ever!!!!
  11. lukep
    Aug 13, 2007
    this game the best every:) heroes is back baby wooot lol go dungeon
  12. beez
    Jan 19, 2010
    It was awesome. Pretty town centers and an actual storyline. But its only failure was that when you got about halfway you were kinda sick of the heroes. They just got old i guess.
  13. Jan 20, 2013
    It's 2013 so you can get this game complete with the expansions for cheap. It needs the expansions (particularly tribes from the east) to make it a decent game, but it is a REALLy good version of HoMM after the disaster that was HoMM IV.

I loved HoMM III and played it for hours, but this version has actually made me love the series again. I'm only writing this now as HoMM VI is utterly useless so they just can't quite get the formula right every time!

Either way, I think that fans of fantasy games or (like me) fans of turn based strategy games will love this. It's got great graphics, awesome music and plenty of variety to keep you entertained.
  14. May 22, 2012
    I have played all the heroes of might and magic games since Heroes 2 and I ahve to say, this game truly is fun and feels like those games I used to love as a kid. I have had a lot of fun with this game, and its price is really good. I recomend it to anyone, including those hardcore Heroes 3 players :)! Have fun!
  15. Jul 31, 2012
    I should say that I've never played any other game of this franchise before (demo of the first Heroes doesn't count), and I absolutely love this game: its gameplay is addictive, art direction and design are amazing: units, cities and heroes look pretty good if you are not trying to guess of how many polygons each model contains. With the last patch it is the way better balanced game thanI should say that I've never played any other game of this franchise before (demo of the first Heroes doesn't count), and I absolutely love this game: its gameplay is addictive, art direction and design are amazing: units, cities and heroes look pretty good if you are not trying to guess of how many polygons each model contains. With the last patch it is the way better balanced game than Heroes VI. Can't say the same about previous games. Expand
  16. Sep 4, 2013
    I absolutely love this game, it looks great, fighting system is awesome, the only reason for not giving it a 10 is because the quests are often sort of the same and because the ultimate skill is nearly impossible to get. I have finished this game several times and I have never succeeded in getting the ultimate skill.
  17. Nov 13, 2012
    This is one of the most addicting games I have ever played. Turn-based RPG, this game will suck your time away. I play it during class when I get bored and find myself looking for more time in the day to finish a game. The downsides to the game are core issues - if you get attacked by someone whose army is dramatically larger than yours, there is literally nothing you can do- you will loseThis is one of the most addicting games I have ever played. Turn-based RPG, this game will suck your time away. I play it during class when I get bored and find myself looking for more time in the day to finish a game. The downsides to the game are core issues - if you get attacked by someone whose army is dramatically larger than yours, there is literally nothing you can do- you will lose the game. This means that there are rarely any 'close' games. By the end of the game, one player is clearly dominating everyone else. That being said, it is fun to build up your massive army and rofl-stomp everyone else :) Expand
  18. Apr 9, 2013
    In some ways even better legendanoy 3 part series in general a great game that can be safely recommended to all fans and fans of intellectual games.
  19. NinaAase
    Aug 10, 2006
    I really love this game, I must say I am addicted to it. I have played a lot of games like this one, but nothing can beat Heroes of might and magic. I have played true the campaigns several times, and I still got things to learn. The game might be a little difficult. But still, it's worth it.
  20. ThomasV.
    May 22, 2006
    A fantastic, involving and not to mention FUN game, full of replayability and strategy! I would say it's the best Heroes game yet, and one I'll have fun with for many, many years to come.
  21. SebastianA.
    May 25, 2006
    It's eating too many computer resources for what it has to offer. Besides this, looks really cool.
  22. RL
    Jun 7, 2006
    Give it a chance. If you're a HOMM 1-4 fan you'll enjoy this one.
  23. JeromeL.
    May 28, 2006
    I've played the demo for one week straight! (finished playing at 3am every day) and now am starting the real campaign. Wonderfull graphics even on a 2 year-old PC and great gameplay - even if the game needs some practice for those who never played a game of the HOMM series. The interface is clear and has benefited from fans and community enhancements and extended beta-testing period. Enjoy!
  24. RenaldoC.
    May 27, 2006
    This is the .... Planning an attack and executing can be so much fun if successful, and so much fun if failed providing the game is good enough! This is that game. Even when I fail miserably I find myself grinning ear to ear as I get my a** beat. THAT'S good gaming folks.
  25. BrianS.
    May 27, 2006
    Who ever thought that resource gathering and planning into the minutea would be fun? When I think of RTS, I think "dry as unbuttered toast". This game however is deep and rich, with a full and intelligent storyline and deep, engaging game play. I'm seriously rethinking my old take on RTS games, I'll have to find more like this one!
  26. JessieL.
    Jun 22, 2006
    Finally, my gaming life has meaning once more. In the past years i have been disapointed with the games i have played, but this one has brought back my intrest. Great game ... an inspiration ... best game I have ever played.
  27. Aug 2, 2012
    The new races or factions that you could play in this were quite refreshing because, whilst it still had the good battle system and ideas behind the other HoMM games, there were other things to keep you interested in. They basically kept the bits of the game we liked and added more. The combat can be a little one-way though and it's quite simple, maybe add something besides rocks andThe new races or factions that you could play in this were quite refreshing because, whilst it still had the good battle system and ideas behind the other HoMM games, there were other things to keep you interested in. They basically kept the bits of the game we liked and added more. The combat can be a little one-way though and it's quite simple, maybe add something besides rocks and fallen trees to the battlefield. A good-game and it's balanced and extra-points for it being able to be played multi-player on a single computer by quite a few people. Expand
  28. Aug 8, 2014
    Definitely the best in the series. First one to have actually decent graphics, good storyline and - oh my god, the soundtrack was just amazing! You have more options of leveling up than in previous games, but not as complicated as in HoMM 6. I just love the design of the creatures, and there's enough types in each faction, i think more than in any Heroes game before or after. The combatDefinitely the best in the series. First one to have actually decent graphics, good storyline and - oh my god, the soundtrack was just amazing! You have more options of leveling up than in previous games, but not as complicated as in HoMM 6. I just love the design of the creatures, and there's enough types in each faction, i think more than in any Heroes game before or after. The combat system is very comfortable, and different unique abilities of factions, heroes and creatures and obstacles located on the battlefield make the battle a very strategic experience. There are lots of maps for multiplayer, with different sizes and layouts, wich enable you to play with your friends or family for months or even years. I wish I could rate it 11/10, but for now I have to end at 10/10. Expand

1. You simply have to have the willingness to learn and give this game a chance. If you do this, you will be rewarded with an amazing strategy experience.
  2. The biggest failing of Heroes V, which you can almost anticipate from its emphasis on looking so good, is that it's stingy with information.
  3. Skeptical Heroes fans, as well as anyone looking for a fun, long-lasting turn-based strategy game, will likely be pleasantly surprised by this one.