Hinterland PC

6.8

1. JS
    Oct 14, 2008
    This game was disappointing. The gameplay is like a greatly simplified version of Diablo, with a little city building tacked on. I was expecting something like Majesty, where your townspeople interact with the world, but in this game they don't really do much aside from generate income, resources or bonuses (and they don't leave their buildings unless you bring them along to This game was disappointing. The gameplay is like a greatly simplified version of Diablo, with a little city building tacked on. I was expecting something like Majesty, where your townspeople interact with the world, but in this game they don't really do much aside from generate income, resources or bonuses (and they don't leave their buildings unless you bring them along to fight), leaving your character to fight extremely repetitive battles, even if you choose a town administrator sort of career. The graphics are ok, but the inability to zoom out is frustrating - even at 1920x1200 you can't really see very far from where your character is standing. Tilted Mill is great, but the game just isn't worth $20. Expand
  2. ChaseM
    May 2, 2009
    Worth the money, slightly addicting and has SOME replay value. It really has no storyline and after you beat one you fail to get much new out of anything else. Tad glitchy on the controls and such but worth buying if you want a good 20 hours of playtime.
  3. Jun 13, 2013
    tl;dr
    tl;dr
    All in all I like this game. It's fun. It has mindless grinding mixed in with a casual city builder. Yet there is so much missed opportunity here. While playing I'm constantly thinking of ways this game could be better. In fact, I really wish someone would make another game like this. My biggest problem is the $10 price tag. Honestly, it's not worth it. $5 and I'd recommend it to my friends, but $10 for a buggy, graphical mush of a 5yro casual game is just a little too steep.
    ---------
    So it's 2013 and I'm just playing this game. There were not many reviews; so I decided to leave my opinions here as well. Just in case some other gamer happens to stumble upon this title. I learned about Hinterland when a blog site said if I liked Minecraft, Terraria, and X3 then I'd like Hinterland as well. I'm not certain how they tied those games into this one...Irregardless, I picked it up for $10 on Steam, which seemed liked a lot for a game that's 5yrs old.

The first thing I noticed is this game is buggy. It crashed on me when I changed the resolution, which doesn't go above 1280 x 1024. My 2nd launch and the game froze bc I hit Esc to pass the developer and publisher cut screens. It might have been that I relaunched the game too quickly from the crash bc I haven't had any other problems with the game since. When you start a game you are asked to choose a character. There are plenty to choose from and each person has strengths and weakness. I like having plenty of options. Once the game finally loads you begin inside you sparse town.

So the premise of the game is this: You own a town, you hire tradesmen to work in your town, you build and grow your city while killing all the monsters off the outlying areas. Kill all monsters and win the map. So it's a light city builder and light grind fest. Not a bad combo for someone who likes both and is looking to spend an afternoon or a few hours unwinding.

On to the meat of the game. Graphics in this game is just passable. The ground is a horrendous camouflage rendered goop and the view feels way too zoomed in. Let's pick it apart shall we? First the view is too close to the ground. You can not see enemies on your screen, exception being from directly above you, until you have gotten too close and they aggro you. This can become an issue if they are higher level or more than one. There is a mini map that shows the location of enemies, however it can show 1 dot when it's 3 enemies. Another thing about enemies. The ground camouflages them. Most of the enemies blend into the ground. Even with approaching from below and using the min map sometimes you just don't see them until it's too late. On the other hand, I like how different weapons and armor does reflect on my character and the people living in my town. After you play a while the graphics don't seem quite so bad.

The city building aspect can become a bit of a frustration. You have two resources to manage: Food which keeps your citizens staying in your town. Gold which you use to hire citizens and upgrade building. Food so far has not been a problem. Just make sure you hire a farmer or trapper first and you should be good. Gold, for me, has been a big issue. You just never have enough; and not like most games where you do 3 or 4 upgrades at a time and think, "I wish I had more." In this game you have to decide, "Since I barely survived the last few town invasions... Do I wait 5 more minutes to get the herbalist we need for health potions that show up 1 every 5 minutes or do I upgrade my Manor so I can wait 5 more minutes to upgrade my guardhouse?" It's questions like that you'll have to face constantly while playing. There will be times when all you can do is just sit around and wait for money to come in. Unfortunately the game doesn't spawn new enemies. Except for the ones that attack your town. Those enemies can end a game quickly if you aren't prepared. Some advice would be to try an keep at least 1 health potion on you for a town invasion.

The whole money aspect of the game can turn tedium. Killing monsters gives you 1 to 4 gold. each area has 5 or 6 monsters; so if you clean out an area you get 6 to 24 gold. Normally by that time you are low on health and need to return to town to heal. Hiring people costs sometimes 10 times that. Not to mention you can generate income in town, but only after hiring a merchant that needs 2 or 3 town upgrades first each requiring 50 or more gold. You see where I'm going here? However, the constant feeling of below the margin does force you be think more critically about every purchase. On the other hand, when you run out of gold and all the monsters overpower you. You'll find yourself just sitting around in a boring little town for 20 minutes.

So yeah, there yah go! I've said a lot of hurtful things about Hinterland, yet I took the time to write them down. I have such mixed feelings towards this game. I'm going to start another map and see if I like or hate it again.
  4. Feb 20, 2013
    I have always enjoyed the merger of town sims RPGs. I only wish they made more of them! Pretty terrible graphics and animation mar an otherwise fun and unique game. If it's on sale for a couple bucks on steam, give it a whirl. You'll have a good time if you can get past the cruddy graphics.
  5. Mar 2, 2013
    This game allows for some quick game experiences. It's nothing to be played for hours and hours on end for several weeks, but from time to time a day or two are very nice.
  6. Jun 7, 2016
    I just found this on my backup drive and gave it some more play, figured its worth a belated review due to how decent this game is.

This plays close to a real time adventure strategy, you start with a hero and town hall, you must hire craftsmen and build there facilities to create a town, you must also feed them so farmers are a mainstay to any successful game, the heart of the game is running around diablo style killing mobs to clear areas, your character levels and can use gear as an rpg allows. The real thing this game does is melds town building and diablo style like rpg.

The fun in this game comes from the management of your town, you clear areas for the loot to build your town to help your character to attack tougher areas, it works and its fun. I suggest you try it even if you arnt into this type of game, simply because a game can be fun without an ea agenda of over the top cut scenes, triple a marketing and f for gameplay.

In the end, the best thing about Hinterland is the price tag. The game is designed to be quite short. An average difficulty game should last between six and eight hours. It's also quite replayable, as every new game offers a new randomized world to conquer.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    A surprisingly complex and entertaining mixture of Diablo and Sim City. Although the presentation is typical for a budget title which contents will keep you for a long time. [Nov 2008]
  3. The greatest pleasure of Hinterland lies in its combination of simple mechanics to form an engaging and brisk gameplay experience.