6.8

1. Mar 22, 2014
    I hope that in the years after this review many others will also accidentally spend 48 hours playing this piece of garbage called "a videogame" and commence the mass carpet bombing of negative reviews. Having only just recently heard of this game, I'm not sure if it even wanted to be heard of to begin with. I recall Tilted Mill being a pretty ambitious little company. Heck they evenI hope that in the years after this review many others will also accidentally spend 48 hours playing this piece of garbage called "a videogame" and commence the mass carpet bombing of negative reviews. Having only just recently heard of this game, I'm not sure if it even wanted to be heard of to begin with. I recall Tilted Mill being a pretty ambitious little company. Heck they even made a pretty decent city builder ages ago, but this? This is terrible. It barely functions. Its a little bit of this, its a little bit of that and what do you know- it can't make up its mind. Many have used the word "addictive" when it comes to Hinterland, but what they really mean is "addictive until you realize their is no replay value whatsoever." This was out in 2008? My goodness. I mean I've been seeking out obscure **** all my life and I finally happen upon this monstrosity of programming. It isn't some hidden "gem" that the thirty or so people on metacritic and beyond describe it as being. Its generic, its boring beyond recognition, it is full of glitches, displeasing visuals, unacceptable framerates, no resolution support for anything more than 1024x768 and a bland soundtrack to go with it all. This is the most generic thing I've ever actually sat down and played in years. Literally years. I still can't think of a more dull experience than Hinterland. Let the secret stay buried deep. This is a travesty, it feels like the end times with once bold developers making what look like browser games for the RPG element addicted retards. Its somewhere between Diablo clone and a dog turd. Do not even bother spending the $10 USD on this. You will not get your money's worth. Expand
  2. Nov 8, 2013
    Put simply, this game is Diablo if it were dumbed down to the simplest form you could possibly still call a game.

The game promises to be a combination of city-builder, tower-defense, and Diablo-style real-time-roguelike. It only vaguely manages to get the last of those three down. The game works like this: You start off with a deceptively interesting-looking and wide array of

The game works like this: You start off with a deceptively interesting-looking and wide array of character choices to pick from. This is the only interesting choice you ever get to make. After that, you get plopped down in a town square and have to start building.

City-building is THERE, technically, but not particularly worth playing for. Building the town is a pretty trivial affair you pretty much have to make a fairly balanced town, and except for the guard towers, it doesn't much matter where anything is, so there's little difference between one town and another.

Then, you have to pay for your town, which essentially means running around killing random things in the wide open field with a few sparse props that they call the world in this game. Each "dungeon" is nothing but a prop in the field, and there's nothing to really explore.

Oh, and remember that thing about character selection? They're all basically the same in a fight, give or take some stat bonuses. There are no special powers. No spells. No super moves. You just click on an enemy and watch both sides subtract HPs from the other until one number becomes less than one. Rinse and repeat until the "remaining enemy" counter reaches a number less than one. Then get declared winner. Yay.

Then it tells you to play again.

The recurring problem of games that try to blend many different genres is that they often tend to lack the content to really make a deep, enjoyable game of any one genre because they try to spread themselves so thin. This game didn't even have enough content to make it part of one genre, even before they spread it thinner. It feels like it was some indie developer's first project, where it was kept shoestring budget and just ran on the desire to create "my first game", even if the feature list was sparse. I can only assume Tilted Mill just plain ran out of money before building the game they were TRYING to make, because I cannot believe this game was in any way what was intended to go to market., and what we're seeing is some stripped-down premature birth game that was only half-formed, and not yet ready for alpha when it was shipped.

It's a hollow, barren land, these Hinterlands.
  3. Aug 1, 2013
    Small game, with many flaws, but so addictive... If you have une hour or two to kill, that's the perfect game for that task. It could maybe have been interesting to have different layers of maps, not always starting in the bottom right corner.
  4. Jun 13, 2013
    tl;dr
    tl;dr
    All in all I like this game. It's fun. It has mindless grinding mixed in with a casual city builder. Yet there is so much missed opportunity here. While playing I'm constantly thinking of ways this game could be better. In fact, I really wish someone would make another game like this. My biggest problem is the $10 price tag. Honestly, it's not worth it. $5 and I'd recommend it to my friends, but $10 for a buggy, graphical mush of a 5yro casual game is just a little too steep.
    ---------
    So it's 2013 and I'm just playing this game. There were not many reviews; so I decided to leave my opinions here as well. Just in case some other gamer happens to stumble upon this title. I learned about Hinterland when a blog site said if I liked Minecraft, Terraria, and X3 then I'd like Hinterland as well. I'm not certain how they tied those games into this one...Irregardless, I picked it up for $10 on Steam, which seemed liked a lot for a game that's 5yrs old.

The first thing I noticed is this game is buggy. It crashed on me when I changed the resolution, which doesn't go above 1280 x 1024. My 2nd launch and the game froze bc I hit Esc to pass the developer and publisher cut screens. It might have been that I relaunched the game too quickly from the crash bc I haven't had any other problems with the game since. When you start a game you are asked to choose a character. There are plenty to choose from and each person has strengths and weakness. I like having plenty of options. Once the game finally loads you begin inside you sparse town.

So the premise of the game is this: You own a town, you hire tradesmen to work in your town, you build and grow your city while killing all the monsters off the outlying areas. Kill all monsters and win the map. So it's a light city builder and light grind fest. Not a bad combo for someone who likes both and is looking to spend an afternoon or a few hours unwinding.

On to the meat of the game. Graphics in this game is just passable. The ground is a horrendous camouflage rendered goop and the view feels way too zoomed in. Let's pick it apart shall we? First the view is too close to the ground. You can not see enemies on your screen, exception being from directly above you, until you have gotten too close and they aggro you. This can become an issue if they are higher level or more than one. There is a mini map that shows the location of enemies, however it can show 1 dot when it's 3 enemies. Another thing about enemies. The ground camouflages them. Most of the enemies blend into the ground. Even with approaching from below and using the min map sometimes you just don't see them until it's too late. On the other hand, I like how different weapons and armor does reflect on my character and the people living in my town. After you play a while the graphics don't seem quite so bad.

The city building aspect can become a bit of a frustration. You have two resources to manage: Food which keeps your citizens staying in your town. Gold which you use to hire citizens and upgrade building. Food so far has not been a problem. Just make sure you hire a farmer or trapper first and you should be good. Gold, for me, has been a big issue. You just never have enough; and not like most games where you do 3 or 4 upgrades at a time and think, "I wish I had more." In this game you have to decide, "Since I barely survived the last few town invasions... Do I wait 5 more minutes to get the herbalist we need for health potions that show up 1 every 5 minutes or do I upgrade my Manor so I can wait 5 more minutes to upgrade my guardhouse?" It's questions like that you'll have to face constantly while playing. There will be times when all you can do is just sit around and wait for money to come in. Unfortunately the game doesn't spawn new enemies. Except for the ones that attack your town. Those enemies can end a game quickly if you aren't prepared. Some advice would be to try an keep at least 1 health potion on you for a town invasion.

The whole money aspect of the game can turn tedium. Killing monsters gives you 1 to 4 gold. each area has 5 or 6 monsters; so if you clean out an area you get 6 to 24 gold. Normally by that time you are low on health and need to return to town to heal. Hiring people costs sometimes 10 times that. Not to mention you can generate income in town, but only after hiring a merchant that needs 2 or 3 town upgrades first each requiring 50 or more gold. You see where I'm going here? However, the constant feeling of below the margin does force you be think more critically about every purchase. On the other hand, when you run out of gold and all the monsters overpower you. You'll find yourself just sitting around in a boring little town for 20 minutes.

So yeah, there yah go! I've said a lot of hurtful things about Hinterland, yet I took the time to write them down. I have such mixed feelings towards this game. I'm going to start another map and see if I like or hate it again.
  5. Mar 2, 2013
    This game allows for some quick game experiences. It's nothing to be played for hours and hours on end for several weeks, but from time to time a day or two are very nice.
  6. Feb 20, 2013
    I have always enjoyed the merger of town sims RPGs. I only wish they made more of them! Pretty terrible graphics and animation mar an otherwise fun and unique game. If it's on sale for a couple bucks on steam, give it a whirl. You'll have a good time if you can get past the cruddy graphics.
  7. Jun 20, 2011
    probobly the single worst game i have ever played; this game was released in 2008 yet it plays like a game that came out in 1998; not in a nostalgic or good way mind you; the resolution is horrible, the game itself is buggy; the combat is terrible; the AI non-exsistant;

it trys to add a base building side to the game but fails at that too.

honestly this game has no redeeming qualities
  8. Dec 26, 2010
    It's a great little game where you build up a town, not by placing buildings (which you do somewhat) but rather selecting your villagers from a selection of roles (who then place their buildings).

You have a Leader who you choose from a wide selection, you control him directly, in third person isometric. You have to manage the food production and then expend your town with smith's,

You have to manage the food production and then expend your town with smith's, hunters, guards, mages etc etc.

At any time you can take upto 3 of your peons with you into the wilds on expeditions to hunt monsters and secure resources to help grow the town. Everyone in the game has levels, attack, defence and health.

Things like attack speed, and damage are set by weapon type and choice of armour etc, and it all factors in as well.

There are some random events and raiding monsters involved too, and all the map options are configurable to ease people into the game.

The only thing missing for me is multiplayer (of any kind).
    Overall, for the price on steam it's a huge bargain, and hopefully we will see more of it in the future.
    First game in a while I've thought was worth recommending to friends, and not only does it do everything it says it does, it has character.

Different play throughs can turn out totally different and using the different classes adds a massive spin on the outcome of some situations.

Very High 8. Only thing lacking for me is the ability to place points for guards to watch. (and multiplayer)
  9. Mar 2, 2013

In the end, the best thing about Hinterland is the price tag. The game is designed to be quite short. An average difficulty game should last between six and eight hours. It's also quite replayable, as every new game offers a new randomized world to conquer.
  2. A surprisingly complex and entertaining mixture of Diablo and Sim City. Although the presentation is typical for a budget title which contents will keep you for a long time. [Nov 2008]
  3. The greatest pleasure of Hinterland lies in its combination of simple mechanics to form an engaging and brisk gameplay experience.