7.0

1. Nov 30, 2012
    Since when can 47 conceal a baseball bat and a rifle in his suit at the same time? Is he a product of R* now? As someone who have been playing since Codename 47 went out, I'm totally disappointed with this. Not to mention instinct.. And the developers aren't great writer. At least let 47 go somewhere outside the US.
  2. Nov 29, 2012
    I have written this review because I completely disagreed with the harsh negative attitude towards this game. To give some perspective. I have finished the game. I have played all the hitman games since it was released. After spending 2 days downloading on some average ADSL connection I finally hit the ground running. I had waited for this game for a long time. I was excited.

I found

I found that initially I was ticked off that the game didn't allow me to save how I wanted. After an hour of play I didn't care. The check points were evenly spaced to allow for trial an error with out much punishment.

The cover system was smooth, the combat system was ok. Allowed for great variation even with out using firearms. If a person cannot play this game on easy and dies continually it's not the games fault you're just bad at this game. I died maybe 7 times through out the whole game. It was easy. Blood money was the only well made hitman game. The others were clunky. I loved them but they were horribly clunky. I felt this change in direction could have been how i wanted hitman to be all along. I wanted that greater interaction. I wanted smoother transitions between hunting, hiding and execution of the target. I hated waiting 15 minutes around corridors for soldiers to move out of the way in uninteresting environments. (Hitman 2) This is not the same as Blood money. It has changed game play style and sometimes that can cause reactions and have a backlash from people who cannot handle experimentation in a franchise. However there is nothing deeply wrong with this game. Visually its pleasing. The game play moves more fluidly and it feels like an execution. The story line doesn't add or detract from this game in my opinion. Its there. It was really all about doing the task and finding a way to do it through experimentation.

If you start on easy it's not hard at all. Compared to the other Hitmans where it was always hard even on easy. I am convinced that this was a good move for Hitman and that if you could bring the current game mechanics inline with more of the old games ability to plan hits, Hitman will continue to be a vibrant franchise. The hitmans story was average, the gameplay was involved allowing players to perform tasks how they wished. Problem is hitman never really did have a storyline that was delivered exceptionally well. It was ok. It certainly was very interesting conceptually. I felt this game did make me more interested in the storylines compared to the previous onces with the exception of the original.

I would not have wanted this game in any other way. It was what I wanted in a Hitman game.
  3. Nov 29, 2012
    I don't think you should consider this a hitman game in anything other than name. I think it plays a lot more like manhunt, if the violence was completely unsatisfying and it had a visit from the chest-high-wall-fairys. Among the worst aspects of this game are:
    No ability to save the game. I appreciate this game was probably developed for a console crowd with PC as an afterthought but consoles have had plenty of save game space for years. The "instict mode". I think it is meant to replace the map but doesn't provide any of the functionality of maps in previous games, or for that matter, an actual map like you can get of town centers in real life.
    Disguises. I often got caught with disguises in the old games, but in this one I will spend ages smashing bottles to get a victim alone, kill them, and it won't let me take their clothes. If I do get their clothes I have to burn up all my instinct to get anywhere in the disguise. If I do get caught I cannot load I have to start the whole level from the beginning again because saving is so 2000 and late.
    Can't choose to start with a sniper rifle or shotgun or M90... or anything but a wire and pistols. Maybe this happens in later levels but I am sure agent 47 could find another gun SOMEWHERE. How about the ones I picked up before the latest cutscene?
    Cover based shooting pop up gallery. Ugh.
    v00d00m4ns review is a good summary of other failings that while still bad annoy me slightly less than they do him.

Finally I have an AMD 8120, Radeon hd7970 and 8GB ram and really don't think much of the graphics either. They bog down far too much in plant areas to set it to ultra and I just don't think they are that good. I would say ME3 has far better graphics with a similar perspective and that runs nicely on max wherever you go in the game, so I think the people saying "nice graphics but..." are being too kind.
  4. Nov 29, 2012
    Awesome game, finally difficulty makes a difference in a game. Beat it on easy, beat it on normal, and then DIE! And then two more difficulties after that! On easy you can certainly blast your way through anyone, on normal you can shoot your way out of a situation or two, but hard will take you back to everything that has made the hitman series great. All these people complaining about theAwesome game, finally difficulty makes a difference in a game. Beat it on easy, beat it on normal, and then DIE! And then two more difficulties after that! On easy you can certainly blast your way through anyone, on normal you can shoot your way out of a situation or two, but hard will take you back to everything that has made the hitman series great. All these people complaining about the death of the series should stop playing on easy. Playing on hard is awesome, you can't just blast your way through levels, and the hours of strategy are enthralling. Could I take this guy out before the other guard walks by? Where could I hide him though? Would they see that? Could I get a clear shot up there? So many means to the same end, perfection. And you will pay dearly for perfection. Did they just see those legs slip around the corner? Did they hear that? Will they buy your disguise? Quite often those questions are followed by a fatal barrage of bullets, or a score shattering shooting spree. Anyone can kill, but killing quietly, and with discretion, is much more meticulous and entertaining than massacres (After the first playthrough at least ;D) And contracts makes the game exponentially larger than just the campaign, which is also awesome. After all, who could come up with more twisted and greuling challenges for the players, but the players themselves. Awesome game, awesome melee and combat system, great variety, and challenging and addictive gameplay. And for all those whining about the differences between this and blood money, there is one word: CONTRACTS! Expand
  5. Nov 29, 2012
    The game screws most of what used to give me pleasure in the Hitman games to focus on a story that is embarrassingly bad. I just hated it. After 3 hours playing in hard and trying to do it "as it has to be done", i just decided to run to the end killing everyone in my way, just to end it. And i know i'm not the only one. I played the 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 Hitman, have it in CDs, have it on steamThe game screws most of what used to give me pleasure in the Hitman games to focus on a story that is embarrassingly bad. I just hated it. After 3 hours playing in hard and trying to do it "as it has to be done", i just decided to run to the end killing everyone in my way, just to end it. And i know i'm not the only one. I played the 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 Hitman, have it in CDs, have it on steam too, have the DVD of the movie that i also saw in a cinema. I pre-purchased Hitman absolution the day i could and i played the sniper challenge to get all i could in it and 3 millions points : I AM A HITMAN FAN AND I AM ANGRY !!!
    I actually played more to the sniper challenge (13 hours) than to the real game (12 hours).
    I can detail but v00d00m4n did it very well, 100% of what he says is correct.
    I will add that i feel abused : that is not what the sniper challenge was promising us. The sniper challenge was showing diferent ways to kill some targets, to hide them, to unlock weapons for the actual game (so in the inventory right? Nope, there is Absolutely no inventory in hitman 5...).
    And it was obviously a reference to the first Hitman 1 mission which was a snipe mission, telling us that there would be some snipe missions in hitman 5. Nope.
    I give 2 for the sniper challenge, the nice graphisms (even if they could have been darker), and the knife throwing system (even if it really make the game easier, it make sense).
    And because i don't like to be that negative, i will now write what would have been nice :
    - the story : it has never been important in the Hitman serie. But since it was the main concern of the developers, it should have been better. We have to protect a girl that as been created like us. It is a bad plot (indeed "inspired" from leon the killer movie), but let say we keep it. I would have like to see good reasons to do that : a nice cinematic showing 47 and her taking good time together watching a movie, playing a game or something. A cinematic that shows what she can do, at the very begining : that would explain better why 47 want to keep an eye on her, as a student killer or as a threat for him. The best would have been to be able to play her like we can play catwoman in batman, supposing she would have had other "powers" than 47 (women disguises for a start).
    HITMAN SHOULD HAVE LOOKED LIKE A PROFESSIONNAL KILLER AND NOT A STUPID NOOB
    Spoiler : in the game story, they are actually 2 times at least when the bad guy can kill hitman after a stupid cinematic where hitman is awefully bad. And he just doesn't... When running out of a place, hitman uses the elevator. And if the elevator doesn't work, he repairs it with pieces strangely sprayed all over the building. PLEASE TAKE THE STAIRS!!!!
    - the gameplay : the disguise system is 90% of time a handicap compared to keep your own clothes. The idea was not that bad : if a small town cop sees a cop that he doesn't know, he will be suspicious. That make sense in some cases, but do all the CHICAGO policemens know each other? And the plummers? The AI should have been programmed mission by mission, differently, and with a briefing : "be careful 47, this is a small town where most people know each other"; or "Note that a lot of people come for a short time in that hotel, you should be able to walk free in most of it's parts"
    And there could have been a way to talk, to try to lie to people before they start shooting at you. At least a 3 sentences choice, find the one the guy can believe in and let you go (or leave witout harm). And not for every NPC but some of them. And in real life, some people stop asking questions with a litle tip. That could have been easy to put in the game, if we had got some money like in Blood Money. That would have been an easy but expensive way to go in a place. Again, not for every NPC, just some of them. And who can be bought and who will do his job whatever the price is something that the 47 instinct could have told. "This guy looks like a dealer, i can probably buy him."
    - there should have been an inventory like in blood money rewarding you : good work = money = the gun uppgrade you want. Being a professionnal killer without a silent gun sucks. - the close fighting should have been thought differently. this aze space system sucks. I would have liked different attacks to choose : fist in the face, kick in the legs and so on. This is not a priority, but it sucks to be a professionnal killer that can't fight properly. - the linear action sucks and should have been avoided at any cost, even with a focus on the story. I could have liked a Mass Effect like system where my actions would have impacted the story. I would have liked to be able to guide Victoria in a way or the other : get a normal life or become like 47.
    - there HAD TO BE a snipe mission in addition to the sniper challenge. And no, i won't buy a DLC for that.
    Not enough space here. Just don't expect more from hitman absolution than a bad sneak/shoot.
  6. Nov 29, 2012
    I tried to like this game, even convinced myself it was good, but I'm only deluding myself. This is understandable as I've just spent £30 on it, it should be good...right. Wrong.
  7. Nov 29, 2012
    I'm a die hard Hitman fan, having spent more hours than I want to remember getting silent assassin on the hardest difficulties on all previous installments. This game was a huge disappointment to me as part of the series but I can't say I didn't enjoy it once I got past the my nerd rage.

I just accepted the new rules of the game which are obviously much different than before. You are free to kill almost anyone as long as you don't get caught, there are some extremely funny sequences and the entire game is just smoother and easier to play. If you looking for the hardcore Hitman experience, Absolution is inadequate. If you are looking for a fun, cinematic game where you can feel like a mastermind and a bad ass, you are going to love it.

In any case, the game is nothing extraordinary. We've seen better stealth, better graphics, better story, better action, better cinematography and in better combinations. Surely my rating has been affected by my love of the originals but there have been some amazing games in the recent months so I can't really give Absolution anything higher than a 6.

RAGE PART: Why are you MORONS still giving 10s and 0s. It's almost 2013, most of you are 26+ and you still don't grasp the concept of rating? A 0 would be the equivalent of a $50 pong, and a 10 would be something that propels the genre forward or gives you a incredibly polished experience. WE ALL KNOW ABSOLUTION IS NEITHER. By being desperate fanboys of marketing or the original series you are mainly hurting FELLOW CONSUMERS.
  8. Nov 28, 2012
    This is by far the most ambitious Hitman game yet and wow! what a compelling story that keeps you on the edge, a none stop tour de force.
    At first i was expecting gun load outs and a map like before in other games but then i realized what they were going for, a man on the run left to his own devices procuring weapons along the way.
    For those who say harsh things about this game either
    For those who say harsh things about this game either miss what the makers were going for or they are just one of those fast pace teenaged COD players that have a lack of patients and witt.
    Contracts is a very fun online addition to the series that brings life into the world of hitman and give you the ability to create your own contracts on the targets you wish, and create and a storyline for other players to read and enjoy.
  9. Nov 28, 2012
    The Hitman series has always been a favorite of mine. Now they have done like all the other big gaming companies; make drastic changes, and massive U-turn of gameplay (D3, CNC4 S3). Big gaming companies must realize, that change the essential gaming mechanics, when the game is as big as it is, is a very severe move. The things we loved from the OLD Hitmans (Codename 47, Hitman 2);The Hitman series has always been a favorite of mine. Now they have done like all the other big gaming companies; make drastic changes, and massive U-turn of gameplay (D3, CNC4 S3). Big gaming companies must realize, that change the essential gaming mechanics, when the game is as big as it is, is a very severe move. The things we loved from the OLD Hitmans (Codename 47, Hitman 2); "Professional hits" (Not running away from cops), loadouts and disguises that meant something. In Blood Money, we did get all that, PLUS a noterity system, resulting in even more consequences in your actions you make. This made the game even more exciting, as you could get caught, or you could be a "silent assasin". In Absolution, we get a kind of "bourne" feeling, as he is running away from cops all the time, no loadouts, and not so many actual professional "hits". They have made a new disguise mechanism, which is pretty annoying sometimes and pretty much pretty hard, and frustrating when playing on a more hard difficulty. They made the missions linear, as there are not many ways to kill your target. They made more cutscenes, which makes it more COD-FPS-MOVIE like, as we have not seen in the earlier releases of Hitman. They have changed the game so drastically, that it doesn't deserve the Hitman title. And im not even refering to graphics, because i am only basing my score on the gameplay. Because what makes a good game, is the gameplay. I hope for a new title, which could be Blood Money 2, as we want a cold-killer hitman and his professional hits, NOT a Hitman with feelings and sympathy. If you know the Lore of hitman, you know that is not him. Expand
  10. Nov 28, 2012
    Poor design decisions makes the latest installment of the Hitman series a huge disappointment. Gameplay has been dumbed down like we have seen in countless other modern installments of popular franchises and we seldom see any improvement from the original games that made the series. The first thing I noticed is the game crashes on average about once every 5 minutes on my GTX670, which isPoor design decisions makes the latest installment of the Hitman series a huge disappointment. Gameplay has been dumbed down like we have seen in countless other modern installments of popular franchises and we seldom see any improvement from the original games that made the series. The first thing I noticed is the game crashes on average about once every 5 minutes on my GTX670, which is certainly not a good introduction to a full price release. Controlling Agent 47 when locked behind cover is a chore, as you cannot move him when your camera is at a certain angle, feeling like you are snagged on something. For a stealth game such as Hitman, the checkpoint system is nothing short of disgusting. Reloading a checkpoint causes all of the enemies that you have previously dispatched, including the ones prior to the checkpoint to respawn, resulting in the need to sometimes start the level all over again. The AI is absolutely terrible, after reloading a checkpoint and everything respawning, I was caught in a gun fight with a few guys in front of me. The AI behind me, clearly hearing the gunshots, become totally confused and make no attempt to surround me whatsoever, instead just standing at their posts. Visuals are fairly nice, though commenting on graphics has no place in a review, the gameplay comes first. If you are new stealth junkie to the series, go and play dishonored, if you are a fan of the Hitman series like myself, avert your eyes and forget that this ever happened. Expand
  11. Nov 28, 2012
    Its a shame how brutally square enix murdered this once beautiful franchise and wats worse they have overhyped this trash for almost 2 years.Game is absolute trash as die hard fans have been rating on that page.The best thing i did after finishing absolution was to reinstall Blood Money and realize what die hard fans have loved about this hitman franchise for a decade now been ruined byIts a shame how brutally square enix murdered this once beautiful franchise and wats worse they have overhyped this trash for almost 2 years.Game is absolute trash as die hard fans have been rating on that page.The best thing i did after finishing absolution was to reinstall Blood Money and realize what die hard fans have loved about this hitman franchise for a decade now been ruined by linear gameplay n trashy broken mechanics with sandbox levels gone(i wont go in detail as u knw already i ur an old hitman fan).20th November marks the eulogy of hitman franchise.There goes another iconic character just like Sam Fisher :( Expand
  12. Nov 28, 2012
    I am so disapointed in this game. If it werent for the Hitman title and all the expectation i had for this game it would probally have gotten an 8 or 9. BUT it is a Hitman game and therfore i can not give it more than 5. like many other sated is does have nice graphics, sound etc but core gameplay mechanics or so wrong and just not Hitman. Cant be arsed to state all the things couse theyI am so disapointed in this game. If it werent for the Hitman title and all the expectation i had for this game it would probally have gotten an 8 or 9. BUT it is a Hitman game and therfore i can not give it more than 5. like many other sated is does have nice graphics, sound etc but core gameplay mechanics or so wrong and just not Hitman. Cant be arsed to state all the things couse they are many and have been stated before. All in all, a BIG disapoitment and the whe wrong direction to point the Hitman in imo. Expand
  13. Nov 28, 2012
    This is a "hitman game" where disguises are entirely optional and doesn't really work anyway, where you spend 90% of time NOT killing anybody, and if you touch anyone other than the target you get a big red penalty right on the spot. This is also a "hitman game" where plenty of your supposed contract "targets" either can't be killed or are not killed by you, and agent 47 can somehowThis is a "hitman game" where disguises are entirely optional and doesn't really work anyway, where you spend 90% of time NOT killing anybody, and if you touch anyone other than the target you get a big red penalty right on the spot. This is also a "hitman game" where plenty of your supposed contract "targets" either can't be killed or are not killed by you, and agent 47 can somehow conceal a 4 feet sniper rifle while wearing a t-shirt and pull it out of his ass . My favorite part is when you get rewarded "silent assassin" if you put on a silly wrestler costume and beat someone to death in front of hundreds of audience, yes that's right, a "silent assassin" that slowly beats someone to death in front of a crowd while half naked. You're also rewarded to "collect evidences", yes apparently agent 47 the emotionless contract killing machine is afraid of karma and needs to justify his action by playing PI and find discriminating materials of his targets. Expand
  14. Nov 28, 2012
    Yes this Hitman is too much corridor. Also selection of weapons (no mods) and the embarrassing fact that large sniper rifle (and any other big guns), you just hide it under a coat . But if I have to evaluate the game as a whole its great, and I still have the urge to pass it again and again. I went through it twice already and now i have started playing on the purist difficulty with anyYes this Hitman is too much corridor. Also selection of weapons (no mods) and the embarrassing fact that large sniper rifle (and any other big guns), you just hide it under a coat . But if I have to evaluate the game as a whole its great, and I still have the urge to pass it again and again. I went through it twice already and now i have started playing on the purist difficulty with any support off .. AND THIS IS WHERE THE REAL HITMAN BEGINS. At this moment, you forget all the shortcomings of this game. It is definitely not a dumb Console shooter but you will get a decent amount of paranoia, anxiety, and you will need logical and tactical thinking. If i evaluate the AI in Blood Money and Absolution (the hardest difficulty)Absolution is the winner, relates to the reality of a response and adversaries alike. A graphic is just amazing. Great gameplay, AI, reality of environments and graphics. For me it's 9/10. Expand
  15. Nov 28, 2012
    Don't waste your money. Don't waste your money.Don't waste your money.Don't waste your money.Don't waste your money.Don't waste your money.Don't waste your money.
  16. Nov 28, 2012
    What a disappointing game. Disguises won't work only when you use your 'instinct'. How do you get instinct? By killing and hiding bodies. Contradiction in terms... There might be multiple ways of finishing levels but you can't experiment as there is no save option. When you fail, you will have to restart all over again including all the cut-scenes etc. Why did they have to destroy this franchise?
  17. Nov 28, 2012
    You can beat the game in about 30 minutes if you just run around and shoot everyone. The combat system is annoying and stupid, running into people and performing fighting animations which are really easy to mess up on. The levels are small. The point system is also a mess. It's easy to mess up in this game and have to restart the whole level. The only good things are the sound, graphics,You can beat the game in about 30 minutes if you just run around and shoot everyone. The combat system is annoying and stupid, running into people and performing fighting animations which are really easy to mess up on. The levels are small. The point system is also a mess. It's easy to mess up in this game and have to restart the whole level. The only good things are the sound, graphics, and story. Expand
  18. Nov 28, 2012
    Hitman: Absolution is a beautiful game, stunning graphics and the awesome thing is you dont need a monster pc to play. That is the first thing to notice. If you are a fan of the old hitman's this game will feel a bit dumb downed compared to the old ones. But set aside on its own, its a well designed game with all the old hitman tools and tricks with a few new one for the casual gamer. TheHitman: Absolution is a beautiful game, stunning graphics and the awesome thing is you dont need a monster pc to play. That is the first thing to notice. If you are a fan of the old hitman's this game will feel a bit dumb downed compared to the old ones. But set aside on its own, its a well designed game with all the old hitman tools and tricks with a few new one for the casual gamer. The game starts off feeling a bit liner but as you progress so does the levels, witch is awesome for a new gamer. If you looking for a rework of the first hitman, this is not it. But if you looking for a game that will challenge you, thats replayable and give you jaw dropping graphics this is the game for you. I love Hitman, and i love this game. If you want your old hitman don't play on normal, play professional then you are a true hitman fan. Expand
  19. Nov 28, 2012
    The latest installment in the Hitman series feels dumbed down. Small maps and the introduction of sub-levels and checkpoints makes the game feel very linear. Not to mention the awful instinct system that allows you to see enemies and points of interest through walls and is required to make your disguises work. And enemies are too easily fooled by simply throwing a randomly acquired objectThe latest installment in the Hitman series feels dumbed down. Small maps and the introduction of sub-levels and checkpoints makes the game feel very linear. Not to mention the awful instinct system that allows you to see enemies and points of interest through walls and is required to make your disguises work. And enemies are too easily fooled by simply throwing a randomly acquired object in their vicinity as a distraction.

Many of the levels simply involve getting from one side of the map to the other (usually a door, staircase or elevator) without any assassination target. It's more Splinter Cell than Hitman. What happened to the large sand-box maps of the previous game (Blood Money) that made it so enjoyable, challenging and replayable?

But for me, the biggest failure is the attempt to drive the game by a strong (but poorly written/very disjointed) narrative, rather than simply having a series of missions loosely connected by an underlying story arch (as in Blood Money). I want to be a Hitman, not Sam Fisher on the run.

That said the graphics are gorgeous and some of the maps are very immersive and the attention to detail is impressive (eg walking through a crowd and being able to listen into multiple conversations going on around you). I also like the fact that enemies don't simply shoot on sight if you're caught trespassing, they will now approach and attempt to arrest you (and you can fake surrender). And the challenge system and contracts mode can be good (but not necessarily wholesome) fun and add some replayability to the game. Though I miss the ability to customise my loadout for the story missions.

I would rate this game 7/10. Lot's of potential, but ultimately let down by too much tweaking and dumbing down after the very successful formula that was Blood Money. A wasted opportunity really, let's hope the next installment is better.
  20. Nov 28, 2012
    I had to create an account at Metacritic to explain why I feel I just wasted 40
  21. Nov 27, 2012
    New game about Agent 47 causes only good feelings. Developers created new game engine for Hitman. Graphics in this game is nice. New elements organically was added in gameplay. Story was surprised for me. But I can't to choose best game in this year about killer/assassin? Hitman or Assassin's Creed? On my mind, today we have two perfect action games. When was the last time?
  22. Nov 27, 2012
    Dull. Requires no lateral or constructive thinking what so ever, unlike some of its predecessors.

These days the intelligence required to play a video game is indirectly proportional to its advertising budget and Absolution makes a good example of this.
  23. Nov 27, 2012
    Beautiful game destroyed by its UI/HUD. Don't get me wrong. The menu interface is one of the best interfaces I've seen; but the game UI is terrible. It removes all immersion. And I'm too bad to play purist. Why didn't they just make customizable difficulty that would suit everyone instead of making 5 different difficulties that almost doesn't suit anyone?
  24. Nov 27, 2012
    I'm going to be very unfair here but this game made me very angry very quickly. First, 47 actually has MAGIC POWERS now, he can see enemies through walls, remove their suspicion levels and do other tricks, and it actually requires MANA (cleverly dubbed "Instinct") to do it. Agent 47 is Corvo now. But that's not the main problem. The main problem is that checkpoints don't work at all sinceI'm going to be very unfair here but this game made me very angry very quickly. First, 47 actually has MAGIC POWERS now, he can see enemies through walls, remove their suspicion levels and do other tricks, and it actually requires MANA (cleverly dubbed "Instinct") to do it. Agent 47 is Corvo now. But that's not the main problem. The main problem is that checkpoints don't work at all since a lot of the stuff that you've done is simply reset. How are you supposed to construct a precise plan when every single mistake means that you have to restart the entire goddamn level or start killing left and right, which, as you might notice, is the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do in Hitman. It seems that you simply can't play this game without improvising and that's something that 47 should never ever have to do. If you have any love for our bald assassin, skip this game. Expand
  25. Nov 27, 2012
    I waited for this game for years, being not aware of the fact the original development team is gone. Almost all of the features that made the original series so interesting, are gone in Absolution. I uninstalled the game after 30 minutes of playing.
  26. Nov 27, 2012
    Don't trust the IGNs and Kotakus this time around - the PC version has flaws, my friend.

Here's the problem - the game tries to shoehorn it's story in everywhere, and in so doing, ruins the Hitman genre. You can't choose your kit at the start of a mission - you aren't with the Agency - so your starting gun every mission is always some POS unsilenced pistol. Want a sniper rifle? Hope the level designer left you one - often it's in the perfect sniping spot too, so you don't have to use brain cells finding one yourself. You can't carry weapons over from mission to mission, either. This Killed it for me.

Levels are small, cramped, and linear, often culminating in you opening a Door - it's cutscene promotion. You can spend all day being as stealthy as possible, dealing with a total lack of autosaves, and in the cutscene you SCREW UP THE HIT - The devs want you to play a story, not Hitman. Disguising well runs off "Instinct". You get more instinct by killing people. Hitman Absolution puts you in some crappy cycle of killing people you don't have to, and losing points for doing so (they kept that), to get the "Instinct" you need to disguise well. Dumb.

But you need to do this because the guard AI is hyper-suspicious of similarly dressed people now. Often, you'll have the guard disguise and find yourself sneaking and action rolling from cover to corner - in plain view of guards - just so they don't look at you too closely. Walking anywhere near them blows your cover, but they don't care about a similarly dressed person action rolling around lol. There's still a few AI bugs - I've been spotted through walls, thus having to restart the whole level because there's no autosave feature, even on PC. When you do reach one of the few checkpoints in the game, even they are dumbed down - the game forgets who you killed, what you have, guards respawn and bodies disappear - it's the worst checkpoint ever.

The graphics are a nice improvement. Hitman 4: Blood Money was a fantastic game - you did all the planning, all the killing, the level design was huge and open, you picked your guns and thus your strategy, you could autosave before a difficult part (and that cut down a lot of repetition). Whoever designed Absolution decided these were all negatives - a story does the planning; a cutscene does the killing - sometimes, because the story has people survive; the level design is narrow and linear to promote a single, definite path; you don't pick your guns - the designers give you only what you need, often in the place you'd use them anyway (goodbye Silverballers); and whoever designed the save system should be shot repeatedly and thrown off a balcony, because the autosaves are gone and what remains is a broken shell of a checkpoint system as we know it today. Hitman: Absolution is a stealthy shooter with nice graphics. But it's definitely not Hitman - it's been dumbed down so much that what's left is the bald guy and the title. In all honesty, if you liked the "plan your own kill" part of the genre, fire up Blood Money again - it's not so dated that your eyes crawl, and it's the essence of what a good Hitman game is. I just wish someone told the developers of Absolution.
  27. Nov 27, 2012
    This is the best entry in the Splinter Cell franchise to date. Wait, what do you mean Hitman? No, this isn't a Hitman game, those aren't painfully linear with silly unlock systems and scavenger hunts. No, no, I'm sure you must be wrong, this is definitely a Splinter Cell game. It's a really good Splinter Cell game too. It would make for a pretty poor Hitman game though...
  28. Nov 27, 2012
    1.This not a open ended or open world game any more.
    2.there is no map.
    3.disguise does not properly work any more without bloody instinct.
    4.You cant see through key hole.
    5. everything re spawns after loading a save point and therefore you cant experiment.
    6.And the list goes on.. Graphics alone cant save this game.They have totally destroyed a fine game.
  29. Nov 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My expectations were very high. I admit. I wanted Blood Money with new graphics and new missions. I wanted larger areas, more weapons, more accident setups. Even excuses you can say to guards, depending of your knowledge of the level, mention that the shower is broken upstairs, that's why you are in a restricted area to fix it, social engineering, additional ways to sneak, maybe even hack computers and technology devices, like spies, carry new and ingeniously hidden weapons on your person.

What did I get? A dumb-down arcade version of one of my favorite game. A broken disguise system, a ridiculously unrealistic instinct system, which would get you banned in most online games. I never wanted easy. I wanted to walk around a level, explore it, save a certain points to try things over and over to perfection, than replay the level and attempt to complete it as a silent assassin. I don't want a checkpoint system like ID Software
  30. Nov 27, 2012
    These reviews are absurd. I've been an avid fan of the Hitman series since the first release and was afraid that the same would happen with Absolution, with what happened to Conviction- To conform and accommodate the generation of casual gamers who don't wish to do a lot of thinking and run through good looking levels without too much effort.

Fortunately, to my pleasure, this is

Fortunately, to my pleasure, this is absolutely not the case. The game mechanics, presentation and playability is nothing less than excellent. Those who claim the game is too easy, dumbed down or not "Hitman" any more, is either not playing it on a hard enough difficulty or was expecting a remake of a previous Hitman with new levels and a new graphics engine. The difficulty in Absolution plays a huge role in the actual game-play. Accommodating for two very different players. For those, like me, who've been waiting for a new instalment in the Hitman series, I highly recommend you play the game on Expert or Purist mode. For those wanting to play casually through Absolution without too much retries and with lots of guidance, pick a lower difficulty setting. Referring to higher difficulty settings; The realism and AI is amazing, wearing the same outfits as enemies would make them get suspicious when you're getting to close- this is where instinct is mainly used (by turning 47's head to the side or by raising his elbow to evade a direct face to face detection). This really makes sense to me as "people" in a certain group/job category tend to know each other and would become curious/cautious to whom this "new guy" is. Things I liked : - Animations
    - Game-play mechanics - Story and level design - Realism
    - Fire fights are insane
    - Graphics goes without saying
    - 5.1 will blow you away. Dislikes - No suitcase ? This is very sadistic of IOInteractive
    - Not clear on how much points are needed to achieve the different ratings (Silent Assassin, expert, ...)
    - Accidental deaths count towards your "kills" *
    This game is meant to be played on a high difficulty and begs for you to achieve Silent Assassin rating. **
    Hope this help anyone in doubt :D
  31. Nov 26, 2012
    Though filled with Splinter's Cell -like sneaking, the real fun is after completing the game, when you really get to dig into the Contracts mode. 8/10 for the overall, but 10/10 for the Contracts.
  32. Nov 26, 2012
    When I saw the first trailer, and it showed the cover system, and the helicopter chase
    I said "Oh, well this certainly looks likes **** and isn't what Hitman is about"
    Then I was assured it wasn't the case, but it was, and I knew it. Let me make this clear for future purchases you might be buying: When devs show off, or implement a certain game mechanic, they intend for it to be
    Then I was assured it wasn't the case, but it was, and I knew it.

Let me make this clear for future purchases you might be buying:
    When devs show off, or implement a certain game mechanic, they intend for it to be used, and therefore the game is based around it. Gameplay is the core of any game (not that anime novel), everything else is secondary, so when you see something and go "WELL GOSH YOU DONT HAVE TO USE TO IT OMG CALM DOWN"; dont kid yourself.

A lot of people who like this game didn't have the pleasure of playing the first ones, and I'll let that explain the ratings.
  33. Nov 26, 2012
    I played all the Hitman games and I loved them all and I also love this one. Only problem I see is that IO seems to have forgotten about Blood Money and I was really hoping they'd continue the story. But if you ignore that fact and only look at Absolution on it's own, I think it's a pretty damn good Hitman. It's hard, it's cool and the story gives a nice new aspect to the whole thing, evenI played all the Hitman games and I loved them all and I also love this one. Only problem I see is that IO seems to have forgotten about Blood Money and I was really hoping they'd continue the story. But if you ignore that fact and only look at Absolution on it's own, I think it's a pretty damn good Hitman. It's hard, it's cool and the story gives a nice new aspect to the whole thing, even thou it might not be the most innovative and logical one. Expand
  34. Nov 26, 2012
    This is an amazing game with great graphics and: Great gameplay(!). The story is not the best but the gameplay is such amazing...... Killing people in dozens of possibility. You have to play this awesome game on hard or harder, 'cause it makes more fun!!!
  35. Nov 26, 2012
    Just not that good. I wish it'd be better cause I love the franchise but it's just not what it could have been or what was promised. It shines when it comes to graphics (especially 47s 'glowing like a deathstar' dome), audio and depiction of huge crowds. They even managed to improve certain aspects like melee fighting. But the games core mechanics feel odd. It would make a fine 3rd personJust not that good. I wish it'd be better cause I love the franchise but it's just not what it could have been or what was promised. It shines when it comes to graphics (especially 47s 'glowing like a deathstar' dome), audio and depiction of huge crowds. They even managed to improve certain aspects like melee fighting. But the games core mechanics feel odd. It would make a fine 3rd person shooter but that's not what I'm looking for in a Hitman title. You'll find too many things that'll make you go: "Wait a minute, this is ridiculous and even I could have come up with a smarter, better solution to that problem than the one I'm presented with." Maybe (hopefully) future patches will adjust at least some of the big issues. Untill then it's nighty night for H:A. Expand
  36. Nov 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are a CoD fan then you should give this game a try - because it is designed for you. The game will hold your hands through from the beginning to the end and it is designed for a literally dumb audience. With the press of a button you can use wallhack and see where all the gaurds are about to go, and you instantly have hints within the corridoor shooter levels where literally everything is scripted. If you expect a true Hitman title then you will most likely be dissapointed, though.

Absolution shines in graphics, improved stealth system, animations, lightning sound, and a few other features. But it falls short in many other areas and it literally throws much of what makes a hitman game a hitman game - out of the window - while it embrace and directly copy and paste features and even partly formulas from batman AA, splinter cell conviction, and even Red Dead Redemption
    with its 'draw gun' minigame and other games. The storyline is uninteresting, uninspired, contains a lot of childish and rather idiotic characters telling a lot of cliché lines. (exmple: Dexter Blake, the great villian, had a masterplan to sell genetically superior kid assasins for 10m bucks each.)
    The levels in the game is often very small and streamlined and you often have to sneak in pre-defined, corridoor-like paths. Weapon, dumpsters, gaurds, cover - all of it is place at convinient places. More focus on stealth and kills, and almost no focus on strategy and creativity. The type of gameplay has more in common with Splinter Cell Conviction than Hitman. Disguise system is broken. Gaurds can see through walls at times. Your cover gets blown all the time because everyone - and I mean everyone - for some reason raises suspicion against you. You can't choose what type of equipment and weapons you want to use. You can't pick locks anymore. You can't look through keyholes. You can't open or close doors. You can't save the game manually. Sniper rifles and other weapons are magically drawn out from thin air. Weapons and dumpsters are placed at very obvious places. Gameplay is extremely linear and offers almost no challange. In terms of innovation this game does not impress me. They've copied and pasted features from other games, such as xrayvision (Batman Arkham Asylum), draw-grun function (RDR) and many aspects from Splinter Cell. They abandone the unique hitman formula and made it to another generic game. This game shines in the visuals, but lacks in many other ways, and its pathetic to see how much it lacks in innovation compared to previous titles.
  37. Nov 26, 2012
    Much smaller levels, very few paths to your target, very linear level design, no black market, no syringes or other interesting assassin tools, not many interesting ways to kill your targets, little and more often than not zero history behind your targets or any motivation to kill them besides them wanting to kill you.

Environments and targets have very little variation, most of the

Environments and targets have very little variation, most of the environments are in the US, the vast majority of which are in North Dakota and New York. Has an odd underlying crude sexual theme which simply doesn't fit very well with this game. The game's story focus essentially throws out the premise of being a hitman until its very end.

You can still be spotted by people wearing the same outfit as you as though every gardener on the planet knows one another, and being spotted in any difficulty besides easy is almost always certain death.

Contracts mode puts you in the same levels obviously designed with a linear story in mind. The only freedom it allows in the game's constrictive levels here is the contract's name/description, who you're killing, what single weapon you can choose to start with, and what you are wearing.

All in all, a serious disappointment and downgrade from Blood Money.
  38. Nov 25, 2012
    You can't save. Need I say more? If you do happen across a check point and decide to reload all the mobs respawn. Mind Blown yet at this poor example of decision making on the dev's? I mean, the most fundamental part of a game (saving) is broken. What more is there to say? Oh yea, disguises don't work. Remember those disguises that are one of the main features of Hitman? Well now they justYou can't save. Need I say more? If you do happen across a check point and decide to reload all the mobs respawn. Mind Blown yet at this poor example of decision making on the dev's? I mean, the most fundamental part of a game (saving) is broken. What more is there to say? Oh yea, disguises don't work. Remember those disguises that are one of the main features of Hitman? Well now they just keep you from being spotted in stealth as quickly. Yep, that's right. I mean if you can't save in sandbox style assassin game what's the point? Just like ME3 every game besides indies are getting this consolfication of our favorite pc titles. At least Deus Ex was still really good. Here's hoping Thief doesnt get butchered. Even Dishonored knew to have SAVING. Checkpoints...really? Expand
  39. Nov 25, 2012
    I'll start off by saying up front that this is my first Hitman game. I just finished it this evening. There are so many games that I don't enjoy and struggle through to the end (like Assasins Creed 1+2, or Mass effect 3), or just abandon all together because they just aren't fun (too many to list unfortunately). I found this game a lot of fun, and I kept coming back until I had beat the SPI'll start off by saying up front that this is my first Hitman game. I just finished it this evening. There are so many games that I don't enjoy and struggle through to the end (like Assasins Creed 1+2, or Mass effect 3), or just abandon all together because they just aren't fun (too many to list unfortunately). I found this game a lot of fun, and I kept coming back until I had beat the SP campaign, and will keep coming back to play the contracts mode and improve my hitman skills and scores. Most of the time, my attempted hits turned into massive bloodbaths, usually because I was impatient, or because I was wearing the wrong disguise and didn't stay out of sight.

When things turned into a massacre, I thought to myself "That's ok, I can play this level again, but differently the next time". Next time...See, most single player games I play, then forget about and generally never play again. This game, I find myself wanting to come back and play it, find new ways to play it, master etc. There is a lot of challenge there, and it's compelling.

Disguises work fine. You just have to find a disguise that won't get you sprung as easily. I found that each level usually has at least one unique disguise that allows you free reign of a level, or at least most areas of it.
    The story was deliberately ham-fisted and tongue-in-cheek and the sections people are complaining about are either very short and inconsequential, or they can be approaching in a completely different way (the quick-time event wrestling match could be done in multiple ways).

I will make a point of playing Blood Money now, as I have it on Steam, but as a noob to the series, I had no problems with Absolution at all. It offered many different ways to complete objectives, and the firefights were very engaging and satisfying thanks to great animations, ragdoll physics and an amazing visual engine in general. I thought it was excellent, as well as being one of the best looking games I have ever played, and very well optimized too. It ran on average at 100fps on my HD5850 and i5 2500K, at 1080p on the highest settings, bar MSAA.
  40. Nov 25, 2012
    Hitman: Abomination

Hitman: Abomination

I really wonder if the creators of this game ever played a Hitman game before of if they even really grasp what it was which made them iconic games. It is all well and good a video games developer trying to take something in a different direction but the Hitman games are very unique in many ways but it looks like none of that has really been conserved and what has has been diluted to the point that its almost unrecognisable and barely serves a purpose in this game. Putting previous Hitman games aside, this really is a sub par game and will soon be sold on offer and be thrown in the bargain bin. It really begs the question as to why this game was even made if the only credentials it has is riding on the back of previous titles. The best bit about this game would have to be the sniper challenge, which despite being quite a nice simple little level, actually manages to show off some little quirks, creativity and general personality of a Hitman game.

You can tell a lot of effort has been put into the graphics, nice action sequences and cut scenes, but that is where all quality ends. To compliment the expensive graphics and cut scenes you have a truly terrible story filled with badly voiced characters each and everyone of whom is a brain dead idiot. It is a very different aeshetic from previous games which generally able to add some humour and creativity into the mix; this game is dull, dark , grey, linear and definitely lacks a sense of humour and is an all round ball-ache to play.

Despite being an elite assassin, in this game Agent 47 has turned into a complete amateur who apparently pull off an assassination to save his life.When you're not failing to assassinate people you spend much of the game finding door ways and doing other exiting things like running from the police, who happen to be incredibly abundant with fantastic eyesight. Owing to 47's new found incompetence he does not have a map, however don't worry each area you find your self in is small enough you likely won't need one; in addition there is the new senses mode which will point out every object of interest in the environment for you, so don't worry about finding out how to take out a target. Killing someone in order to take their clothes as a disguise is now a waste of time as each policeman, bouncer, chef, etc in the game appears to know one another intimately and so are able to spot you as an imposter at 100 yeards.Moreover you cannot change your load out and you are very limited in how you murder someone and the ways you can are already pointed out by senses mode. Above all the game has lost its creativity, its quirckiness and personality and become something dull and linear where you spend far too much time getting from A to B.
  41. Nov 25, 2012
    The absence of a quick-save or even a proper working logical checkpoint system makes the game HUGELY frustrating... unplayable in my opinion, unless you like to redo LONG parts of the game over and over. Ridiculous. Such a shame.
  42. Nov 25, 2012
    The series is pretty much dead at this point. The Agent 47 character has been ruined. The gameplay has been ruined. Its very daunting. They would have done perfectly only making Blood Money 2. It wasn't that hard. And they blew it.
  43. Nov 25, 2012
    The toughest Hitman game you will ever play if you are the stealthy guy and like to go for silent assassin. This is because the overhaul of the disguise system. Lets say you're disguised as a cook: All other cooks will see through your disguise as they know all their colleagues. This gets silly when you are wearing disguises that fully cover your face, like a special forces combat suit.The toughest Hitman game you will ever play if you are the stealthy guy and like to go for silent assassin. This is because the overhaul of the disguise system. Lets say you're disguised as a cook: All other cooks will see through your disguise as they know all their colleagues. This gets silly when you are wearing disguises that fully cover your face, like a special forces combat suit. There is always like one uber-disguise in the level, that will work in 90% of the areas, but it's impossible to get on purist mode. IO said that they will fix the disguise system. That's the sole reason why I will give the game an 8 for now and hopefully return giving a 10. See it for yourself. As soon as you play on hard the game will screw you over. Expand
  44. Nov 25, 2012
    Hitman: Absolution provides an experience that is rich in action and on the edge of your seat suspense. Of course, it's not without it's flaws. Everyone automatically thinking you're suspicious gets a little irritating at times, and it constantly feels linear. Though it has some rough spots, Hitman: Absolution is enjoyable experience, but may be a let down for hardcore fans of the series.
  45. Nov 24, 2012
    any one how givs this game less then 8.0 is not worth reading!!
    Hitman: Absolution is an exellent game and rghit on time becuse all other games that came out to this time are boring maby axcept medal of honor warfighter also great game
    you cant say any thing bad about this game, the graphichs awesome flowed game play and great sound. i never liked the hitman franchise but this one is
    any one how givs this game less then 8.0 is not worth reading!!
    i never liked the hitman franchise but this one is different from all aspects.
    so if you are looking for a good game to play current time play this one you will enjoy it.
  46. Nov 24, 2012
    Hitman Absolution
    Hitman Absolution
    It is safe to say I have played all of the hitman games by now. I will say for a fact this is not a hitman game. There are tons of elements that Hitman: Blood Money introduced that were stripped in absolution and that made the hitman franchise "fun". Its fair to say everyone was expecting a Blood Money 2, but not everyone was willing to compromise for anything less. There are gamers out there who because they are influenced or drawn by the media will select absolution because of the Hollywood style action or the mainstream hype that brought them to the game. And then there are gamers who played the series and have fundamental passion for playing over and over again the addictive and challenging sandboxes. The problem with Absolution: There are no sandboxes. In fact, all the maps are linear. Each map forces the player to move forward in one direction without having the chance of going back and re-experience the same level. Each map is a build up of smaller maps which are all joined together by checkpoints. So by having checkpoints, the developers have destroyed the one peice of formula that made hitman a sucess. A Sandbox. (start taking notes square enix)The developers have also made the gameplay into a "duck and covering" system, where the player is forced to hide and go seek wall after wall, hiding in terror instead of hiding with Absolution. By doing this the player is unable to get any proper "hits," has to use non-refillable instinct in order for a disguise to work, and above all loses points for attempting to kill anyone other than the target. Square Enix has demolished anything that was memorable or likeable about the hitman series and has suggested it all be shoved down a gumball machine for the player to experience. It is too bad that Eidos found its best interest for SE to take over, but im sure this game will please very much the mainstream audience as it was designed to do.
  47. Nov 24, 2012
    Very good game, from start to finish, this is the best we've played already the franchise, and not hear comments like this: hitman is like splinter cell! because it is not true. play it =]
  48. Nov 24, 2012
    Hitman: Absolution fails to be a great game because of some annoying
    game mechanics decisions. The absence of a quick save option has been
    filled with a cheap checkpoint system that only saves your position and mission status. Whenever you reload a checkpoint, the whole world around you is back to its initial state: all mobs are respawned. This would not have been such a big deal if
    Hitman: Absolution fails to be a great game because of some annoying
    game mechanics decisions. The absence of a quick save option has been
    filled with a cheap checkpoint system that only saves your position
    and mission status. Whenever you reload a checkpoint, the whole world
    around you is back to its initial state: all mobs are respawned. This
    would not have been such a big deal if the designers implemented some
    sort of fast forward option, but since that lacking too you'll find
    yourself spending alot of time rewatching dialog events. The game is
    (in the later levels) quite unforgiven and it takes quite some skills
    to finish them as a silent ninja. If you don't time your attack
    correctly you'll be spotted in a second and set back 15 minutes for
    the zillionth time because you've got to reload a checkpoint. I do not
    know annyone in my personal life who enjoyed the previous Hitman games
    more then me and this is probably the first one I'm not going to
    finish. The game is far from a bad deal, but it probably should be
    renamed to Hitman: Absolute Frustration.
  49. Nov 24, 2012
    It seems like once this game came out, everyone, including PC Gamer, just wanted to complain that it wasn't Blood Money 2. This is a fantastic game, great graphics, an engaging story, loads of ways to take out your targets (when you have them, a lot of the game is simply stealth action) or general enemies, disguises and improvised weapons, and multiple routes through each mission. TheIt seems like once this game came out, everyone, including PC Gamer, just wanted to complain that it wasn't Blood Money 2. This is a fantastic game, great graphics, an engaging story, loads of ways to take out your targets (when you have them, a lot of the game is simply stealth action) or general enemies, disguises and improvised weapons, and multiple routes through each mission. The game rewards you for utilizing every possible option as well, so it screams replayability. Let me tell you something, if you enjoyed Conviction for what it was even though it didn't follow the same exact formula, then you will highly enjoy Hitman: Absolution. Expand
  50. Nov 23, 2012
    I know it is probably getting to sound redundant by now but I am a series Hitman fan. I've played every one and had tons of fun with every title. I played the Sniper Challenge to DEATH got all the challenges. Anyways I honestly say this game is amazing in almost every aspect. Yes they have taken some things out, adjusted some things and changed the way disguises work. Out of all they haveI know it is probably getting to sound redundant by now but I am a series Hitman fan. I've played every one and had tons of fun with every title. I played the Sniper Challenge to DEATH got all the challenges. Anyways I honestly say this game is amazing in almost every aspect. Yes they have taken some things out, adjusted some things and changed the way disguises work. Out of all they have changed the only thing that is really a stickler is way disguises work. Now I won't go into it too much because by now everyone knows how it works now, but to defend the change just a little bit it makes the game even MORE challenging especially on the harder difficulty settings. Personally I love a game that challenges me and this is one of those games. To complete the challenges on any said one level of single player your looking at INSANE re-playability. Heck I believe it took me around 7 hours to get every challenge on the Chinatown level. Contracts is very addictive and fresh in its own right, just the vast amount of options that can be created is astonishing. You can have up to three targets and each target can have their own specific way to eliminate, such as method of kill and the disguise you wear to kill them. You will find yourself playing these multiple times just to figure out each kill then trying to string them together in the fastest time possible. Overall Hitman has been dormant for a loong time now and the release of this is a COMPLETE breath of fresh air among the endless tide of FPS titles and FPS franchise sequels that are almost always too afraid to be bold and mix things up. Bottom line if you are or were a fan of any of these Hitman games I strongly recommend getting this one. Expand
  51. Nov 23, 2012
    I have to say for players like me who consider the hitman series one of THE outstanding pieces of digital art produced in the last decade (shoulder to shoulder with games like planescape:torment, fallout and similar giants) Hitman:Absolution is nothing less then a grave insult. Taking all the elements that made Hitman its own unique style of murder adventure - all essential features, likeI have to say for players like me who consider the hitman series one of THE outstanding pieces of digital art produced in the last decade (shoulder to shoulder with games like planescape:torment, fallout and similar giants) Hitman:Absolution is nothing less then a grave insult. Taking all the elements that made Hitman its own unique style of murder adventure - all essential features, like free roaming in extensive levels, multiple VIABLE paths to dispose of ur victims without being noticed, hiding in plain sight have either been done away with or nerfed into oblivion
    as somone who preordered the game months ago and has been fired up for it for more then a year I have to express my deep disapointment and can only warn u to not buy it and save ur money for a more worthy title
  52. Nov 23, 2012
    Just sad, The storyline straight out of a movie zo bizarre series, about the game mechanics very fair and very unfree across the stage.
    The nuns left over, this is not the movie machete, please.
    And most importantly, do not miss this game have 47 kills not speak!
  53. Nov 23, 2012
    As most reviews say, this is not the Hitman you know, this is very different. The levels are not as big as some of the previous games, but if you ask me, they are way more detailed and more options than the previous Hitman games. You don't get to much of an open world anymore, but more a, get from point A to Point B style. i was skeptical about this at first, but grew to love it, evenAs most reviews say, this is not the Hitman you know, this is very different. The levels are not as big as some of the previous games, but if you ask me, they are way more detailed and more options than the previous Hitman games. You don't get to much of an open world anymore, but more a, get from point A to Point B style. i was skeptical about this at first, but grew to love it, even though it's a From point A to B, you still get alot of diversion and ALOT of choices on how you wanna get there. The new disguise system is 50/50, i love how it adds to the realism. The cop will know you are not one of his colleagues, but how is the civillian to know that you are not a cop? It is a bit to sensitive though, even though you are standing with your back to a guy who is 6-7 meters away he will still notice that you are not one of them, and that is a bit to much. You don't get to choose what weapons and equipment you wanna use anymore at the start of the game though, but i think this adds to the fun, and it works well with the story, this also means that you don't have a pocket filled with thousand coins anymore, instead you gotta find objects around the world, that you can use as distractions/weapons, this is also a welcome change.
    The story is also a big part of Absolution, in the previous games. You got your mission and then you executed it, however you felt like and that was that, and that was good, cause that's why you played it.
    I felt alot more motivated to keep going in this one, cause of the story and what happend in it, and even though i mostly try to do it stealth with none or a few extra casualties , there was just places where i went in guns blazing cause i didn't think the ones i was up against deserved to live. I also had some really heartpounding moments, cause i was so focused on killing my target for one reason or another and that rarely happens to me.
    On that note, it also alot funnier to do fire fights in Absolution: When you empty your 45 cal. UMP magazine into a guy and you see him spasm all over the place as he falls to the ground, feels really awesome.

All in all I will give this game a 9/10 it is a great game, but with a few things i would like tweeked, but these things are so minor that they can be looked through pretty easly. Don't expect the next version of Blood Money, but a deeper more involved game.
  54. Nov 23, 2012
    Very nice Splinter-cell game. Two Thumbs Up. Very bad Hitman Game. Two Thumbs Down. Really, if 47 had the gadgets Fisher had this would be a kickin Splinter-Cell game. Unfortunatly 47's gadgets are for stealthy take downs and not much else and facing down a 30 NPCs (cudos to the Glacier 2 engine) when you've been spotted for umpteenth time, and no hit in sight, only cutscenes?
  55. Nov 23, 2012
    After having played the first few levels, I was
    very disappointed. Almost everything I loved about the previous
    Hitman seems to have gone. The exploration of sandbox stages and finding interesting ways to perform the kill in a world full of possibilities. Here I have to infiltrate buildings and evade stuff through segmented and pretty linear levels. I hated it at first and as a
    After having played the first few levels, I was
    very disappointed. Almost everything I loved about the previous
    Hitman seems to have gone. The exploration of sandbox
    stages and finding interesting ways to perform the kill in a world
    segmented and pretty linear levels. I hated
    it at first and as a classic Hitman game this one deserves
    something around 4/10.

But it would unfair to condemn Absolution, because as game
    it's really good. The control and gunfights have been improved
    considerably. Visually and artistically its stunning, even
    on older cards like my gtx260. All those little conversations
    among enemies create a dense atmosphere. Many claim the
    disguise system is broken. At first I thought that too, but
    its not. It just takes time (and good will) to adjust to the pretty merciless mechanic, especially on higher difficulty settings.

Despite all the strengths this tile has, I seriously hope
    IO reconsider their design approach for future Hitman games.
  56. Nov 23, 2012
    Best stealth for me in a long time. To make things clear - when I see a stealth game, I want clean and silent killing, being able to stay unseen though out my mission and game itself should be really challenging. Other things are not so important. Hitman: Absolution delivers it.
    Some things were dumped like sniper rifle case, ability to carry all weaponry at once, map, looking through keyhole and maybe something else i forgot to mention. But those are just minor tools. What really matters is gameplay itself - goal and how we can achieve that. Game is till about killing people in different ways, sometimes making it look like accidents. People complain about nerfed masquerade? Well deal with it. Now getting security/police uniform is no longer an "I WIN" button. Admit it - in iconic Blood Money, 90% of succes in a mission was finding a suit that was granting access to whole area, or atleast it's main parts. That was security guy in most cases. After that we only had to choose how to kill target and dump its body. Now people with same outfits will become suspicious about you, and after brief time will start calling for help or shoot you. To avoid that you still stay out of their sight or use "instict" which is a precious resource you should learn how to manage. I've been playing on expert through out main story line and to stay unnoticed in smaller location or get silent assasin on larger ones, i had to invest ALOT of time. Overall i've spent around 48 hours of game time to complete campaign on expert without being noticed a single time and get silent assasin mark on every kill mission. In my book that is really long singleplayer, especially nowdays. Sure thing if you play on medium and you are not so obsessed with clean work then i think it can go down to somewhere around 20 hours which is good, nevertheless. Contracts mode is nice, but has a lot of room for improvement. People tend to make easy contracts like killing 3 first NPC with pistol, then get out and get money. It takes like 30 sec to complete, and provides same amount of money as a pice-of-art assasination contract that requires skill, planning and flawless execution from players and contract creator. I think IO should implement not only likes/dislikes on contracts , but some sort of difficulty voting and search system, so people can look for what they really want. There are also contracts that are made by random pulling of NCP from crowded to isolated areas. It results in silent kill, but finding that exact same spot on the wall to throw brick into is just stupid. Apart from that, contracts provide additional play time to itself long story mode.
    Tech. part of the game is good. Surprisingly low amount of bugs, none of which are gamebreaking, good visuals, nice sound. This game is solid 9/10 with some room for improvement, but it gets 10 just to compensate for morons giving it 0's.
  57. Nov 23, 2012
    Pretty nice game. I have to agree with the rest of the players, the instinct bar is a huge game design blunder and should never have entered the Hitman universe. The engine however is great and it fits perfectly for the Hitman-genre. The levels could be bigger with more freedom, however, I think the levels are pretty cool because they really do award exploring before planning anPretty nice game. I have to agree with the rest of the players, the instinct bar is a huge game design blunder and should never have entered the Hitman universe. The engine however is great and it fits perfectly for the Hitman-genre. The levels could be bigger with more freedom, however, I think the levels are pretty cool because they really do award exploring before planning an assassination. Great game, not on par with game of the year contender Dishonored though. Expand
  58. Nov 23, 2012
    Hitman Absolution looks great... But it feels "wrong". This game walks the dangerous path of an other popular stealth game : Splinter Cell conviction. Forget the subtle stealth gameplay of previous games. Now... we have "instinct". A Meter bar that allows you to blend in. Or should i say... forces you. Like previous Hitman games, you can wear a disguise. Problem is, that diguise will beHitman Absolution looks great... But it feels "wrong". This game walks the dangerous path of an other popular stealth game : Splinter Cell conviction. Forget the subtle stealth gameplay of previous games. Now... we have "instinct". A Meter bar that allows you to blend in. Or should i say... forces you. Like previous Hitman games, you can wear a disguise. Problem is, that diguise will be useless 90% of the time unless you use the new flashy instinct bar. The instinct system would be great in some games. But in hitman? It just feels wrong. It's distracting, breaks the immersion completly and if anything it's frustrating without being challenging. Fortunatly, the game still allows you to be creative with the way you take down your target. Sadly the stealth in this can be resumed to how well you manage the instinct bar. Absolution is the perfect exemple of what happens when you try to reinvent the weel. I can only hope that the next game (if there is one) will try to get back to what made "blood money" so good : the fact that it was an assassin simulation game. Not a dumb action game with bar management as a stealth system. Expand
  59. Nov 23, 2012
    I was a fan of Hitman series a long time but with Absolution they made a huge backstep. They removed essential features like customizing weaponloadout before a mission, modifying weapons (only available in contracts mode now), looking through keyholes. The new level design is awful! It's too linear and you dont have freedom like in previous hitman games. Also the new disguise-system isI was a fan of Hitman series a long time but with Absolution they made a huge backstep. They removed essential features like customizing weaponloadout before a mission, modifying weapons (only available in contracts mode now), looking through keyholes. The new level design is awful! It's too linear and you dont have freedom like in previous hitman games. Also the new disguise-system is pretty **** - enemies blow your cover in 2-3 seconds thats not fun. Of cause they brought a bunch of new features and improvements: graphics are very nicely, the glacier2 engine is also a lot better than glacier1. Also the new contracts mode provides additional gameplay and especially with friends it is really fun. But all in all IO turned the classical tactical hitman into a pure action game. As a hitman game it sucks but it is a nicely done action game. My review: 8 out of 10 points (if i had reviewed it as a hitman game it would have got only 4/10 points). Expand
  60. Nov 23, 2012
    First off, let me just say that the graphics are absolutely stunning. Environments are well detailed and the crowds look so realistic. This is a very polished game and i would recommend it to anyone looking to have a fun time. There are several flaws though being that this isn't really going the same path as the other hitman games so some fans might be disappointed.
  61. Nov 23, 2012
    The story of the game is good (sometimes silly but it keeps you entertained.) I think the developers put a lot of work into the game. The maps are detailed and the graphics are really nice. I did not really like the way stealth mechanism worked in the game (It was really difficult not to get caught by some guard all the time, and once they noticed you it was difficult not to get engaged inThe story of the game is good (sometimes silly but it keeps you entertained.) I think the developers put a lot of work into the game. The maps are detailed and the graphics are really nice. I did not really like the way stealth mechanism worked in the game (It was really difficult not to get caught by some guard all the time, and once they noticed you it was difficult not to get engaged in a fight with everyone.) I did not like the way maps were 'cut up' to smaler sections (I wish there would be bigger maps the player could explore... Like in the previous games.) The player can't choose weapons or other equipment before starting a mission.The game has a console port feel to it (push 'q' button repeatedly to choke out someone.) Overall not a bad game but they mainstreamed it for wider audiences. I give it a 6/10. Expand
  62. Nov 23, 2012
    They have effectively changed everything that was good about it and turned it into a simplistic action-shooter for the Call of Duty generation who have ejected any semblance of intelligence in game design in exchange for constant, mindless, shooting action. Here is a run-down of
    how old Hitman did things and the new Hitman counterparts:
    OLD HITMAN Vast open maps to explore with
    how old Hitman did things and the new Hitman counterparts:

OLD HITMAN
    Vast open maps to explore with multiple ways to make your way to the destination. A genuine feeling of being given a sandbox full of environmental oddities and independent AIs, with numerous ways to pick your way through them.

HITMAN: ABSOLUTION
    Constantly being thrown from one linear corridor to another with (if you
  63. Nov 23, 2012
    Sure, the game is little different, but does it means it's a bad game? No. It's a wonderful stealth game with great graphics, it is the best looking game on PC. Missions can be finished many many ways, stealth feels very satisfying. There is a lot of replay value. Difficulty options for the game are perfect, almost everyone can enjoy this game. The things I don't like are not beingSure, the game is little different, but does it means it's a bad game? No. It's a wonderful stealth game with great graphics, it is the best looking game on PC. Missions can be finished many many ways, stealth feels very satisfying. There is a lot of replay value. Difficulty options for the game are perfect, almost everyone can enjoy this game. The things I don't like are not being able to buy weapons at the beginning of the mission, also the fact that I can hide sniper rifle and other large weapons, why? I actually like new disguise system, it feels challenging. It feels like Hitman's 2 disguise system but done better, in my opinion that is. Sound and music are superb. Expand
  64. Nov 23, 2012
    absolute sign v00d00m4n critic!

"Assassin's Conviction: Saboteur & Lynch - Retardation"
    "head of 47 shines like supernova explosion to blind you from truth"
    "INSTINCT MANA"
    "magic wallhack cheat"
    "THIS GAME IS UTTER TRASH"

hope this was 150 letters of flaming. thank you.
  65. Nov 23, 2012
    Departure from the Hitman we knew in Blood Money but nonetheless a good game. My only big issue is with the disguise system and some minor interaction issues. Allows you to be creative with the kills and presents a good enough challenge that I will go through again and try and achieve perfection on all of the missions.
  66. Nov 22, 2012
    Get your sporks ready cause dinner is done. Spicy creole cooking to make you sweat. Sure, it's gritty and sticks to your teeth like a mix of sand and bugs and you'll be convinced that your tounge is going to melt but that's the kind of cooking we love. That down home, mom is trying to kill you style.
  67. Nov 22, 2012
    Hitman: Absolution is one of the biggest gaming disappointments this year. All I wanted was a sequel for Blood Money and instead got a failed experiment of mixing Hitman and Splinter Cell: Conviction. The open-world choices of Hitman games going back a decade are now replaced with a mediocre story and a game on rails. I wish I didn't get this on Steam so I could return it.
  68. JLF
    Nov 22, 2012
    This is honestly the biggest disappointment in my entire 25 year experience of gaming. Hitman was never good because of flashy kills, big drama or fancy graphics. What made this game stand out was the sandbox-like environment where you have to use analytical thinking and make the circumstances work for you. What I had the unpleasure to experience with Absolution was quite different.
  69. Nov 22, 2012
    This game lacks the magic of the previous Hitman games. It's plagues with problems that any rudimentary check would have found. As is typical, another franchise gets completely dumbed down so that it can be shipped to a wider audience, compromising it's original flavour.
  70. Nov 22, 2012
    As a long time fan of the hitman series, Absolution feels like a kick in the teeth. Gone are the sprawling sandbox style killing grounds of Blood Money - they have been replaced with tiny linear corridors where your goal very rarely even involves taking out a target. The story is embarrassingly bad and full of more holes than a wheel of swiss cheese, yet IO seems intent on forcingAs a long time fan of the hitman series, Absolution feels like a kick in the teeth. Gone are the sprawling sandbox style killing grounds of Blood Money - they have been replaced with tiny linear corridors where your goal very rarely even involves taking out a target. The story is embarrassingly bad and full of more holes than a wheel of swiss cheese, yet IO seems intent on forcing you to absorb it. Each of Absolutions mission objectives is focused on advancing to the next pre-rendered cutscene. I could also mention the **** quick time event driven combat, the broken disguise system where enemies will recognize you from 15 meters away even if you're wearing a mask and have your back turned to them, and the total lack of weapon / equipment selection prior to a mission. If you liked Blood money, stay far away from this It'll break your heart. Expand
  71. Nov 22, 2012
    A hitman game where you spend 80% of the time not assassinating people, and 15% of the time watching the people you're supposed to assassinate get killed in cutscenes. Nice linear piece of crap. The creativity aspect of other hitman games is mostly gone. Contracts mode is the only redeeming factor. It's interesting that the best part of the game is the part where IO isn't trying to tell aA hitman game where you spend 80% of the time not assassinating people, and 15% of the time watching the people you're supposed to assassinate get killed in cutscenes. Nice linear piece of crap. The creativity aspect of other hitman games is mostly gone. Contracts mode is the only redeeming factor. It's interesting that the best part of the game is the part where IO isn't trying to tell a crappy story and we are free to actually be a hitman. Expand
  72. Nov 21, 2012
    Hitman Absolution is a game plagued by two things, people who want games to be able to change without HUGE backlash from old and new fans alike, and people from /v/ who expect games to never change and always be about the same thing and never even begin to try and change how they are played or even what your goal is.

I can do anything i could do in blood money but now i have even more

I can do anything i could do in blood money but now i have even more options, game play wise this game stayed more of the same than it changed the instinct had some interesting results and i can see were it effected level design.

The story is pretty simple but the characters make it more enjoyable. Contracts mode is also one of the most clever ways to give a single player game a Multiplayer mode without it feeling tacked on in a long time.
  73. Nov 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first hour of Absolution was like "Finally! After six years of waiting 47's back and I'm crawling through the linear tutorial mission as always! Wow, the guards AI is fine!" etc. I was waiting for the real game to start. For now, I've edended up in orphanage and I got to turn on four electrical switches. This is the goal of the level, switches. Ghost-like, urban legend killer is now forced to pull switches or open doors on a ratcage-like levels, that makes absolutely no sense! There is no freeform gameplay anymore, you are, literally, forced to do the thing that developers tells you to do. At the Purist difficulty, there's even more of absurdity: you got ONLY ONE way through mission that really works. There's no Hitman anymore. I just wish the Real 47 will come and kill that bald bandaged clown disguising as him in Absolution. The most awful fact is that you can see all the buried potential of the game. Levels are cutted to parts with doors with NO loading, which signs that the game once WAS open-ended Hitman that we once liked. As the Hitman game, this piece of poo gets 0 from me. As the Deus Ex HR with bald guy instead of Adam Jensen it gets 6 points. P.S.: Actually IOI already released Jensen suit as DLC, what an irony. Expand
  74. Nov 21, 2012
    Hitman: Absolution isn't perfect but it's one of the best games to release this, it's kinda sad that most "gamers" prefer to play generic, bland and crappy military first person shooter instead of really good games like this, this game deserves a 8.5 but i gave it a perfect score to counter all those 0's coming from trolls that haven't even played the game.
  75. Nov 21, 2012
    Look, i'm not going to lie, okay? this game isn't perfect but it's one of the best games this gen imo and i'm not exaggerating, it's sad that most prefer to play generic first person shooter instead of actual good games like this, this game deserves a 9 but i gave it a perfect score to counter all those 0's coming from trolls that haven't even played the game.
  76. Nov 21, 2012
    I find it pathetic that some folks still can't take off thier nostalgia goggles for seconds to review this game fairly instead of hating on it and giving it a low score because certain moment in the story that i won't spoil here annoyed them, it's sad to see games like this, Darksider 2 and Assassin's Creed III get bashed while generic military first person shooters get praised by the sameI find it pathetic that some folks still can't take off thier nostalgia goggles for seconds to review this game fairly instead of hating on it and giving it a low score because certain moment in the story that i won't spoil here annoyed them, it's sad to see games like this, Darksider 2 and Assassin's Creed III get bashed while generic military first person shooters get praised by the same people, this game isn't perfect but it's one of the best games to release this gen imo, great story, great graphics and gameplay, absolutely no bugs/glitches, just perfect. Expand
  77. Nov 21, 2012
    It is beautiful to look at...but that is where it's beauty ends. A travesty of a game that is just a mash up of every other quick time event,stealth game out there. Might as well have called it Splinter 47: Assassins Conviction.

IO have seemingly thrown away everything that made the Hitman franchise so wonderfully unique. Terrible
  78. Hob
    Nov 21, 2012
    Like Kane & Lynch without Lynch. Pretty as hell and that's about it for the upsides. I'd rather watch a good movie. This has too much filler, the game mechanics (especially disguises!) are rather unsatisfying, it's very linear and difficulty levels above hard are essentially broken due to the new gimmick not working anymore.
  79. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is a big step backwards from Blood Money. It's over simplified and waaaay too story driven. The open ended gameplay is gone and the whole experience is like riding on a rail. Big mistake, avoid!!!
  80. Nov 21, 2012
    Hitman Absolution gives a challenge for sure. The play style and updated graphics make it an overall appealing game to play. Although there are a few changes to the game like tossing a coin, there are plenty of other things to toss around. The one thing I will say about the game is it's difficulty. The missions are quite a challenge to get through and sometimes downright annoying, so IHitman Absolution gives a challenge for sure. The play style and updated graphics make it an overall appealing game to play. Although there are a few changes to the game like tossing a coin, there are plenty of other things to toss around. The one thing I will say about the game is it's difficulty. The missions are quite a challenge to get through and sometimes downright annoying, so I guess it's the incentive to want to play it more. Overall I gave it an 8 as its not a game that's keeping me glued to the computer but if you're thinking of buying it and have enjoyed the previous hitman games then I think overall you will like it. If you're not up for a challenge and just want a game to walk through don't bother with it. It's going to take you some time to play. Great job Square Enix on a great title! Expand
  81. Nov 21, 2012
    The game is brand new and presents good graphics though, it is not as good as Bloodmoney. Also it has too many bugs. The gameplay lacks lots of details. For example, when you select your weapons or items they just appear in 47's hands without drawing them. This is definitely not acceptable for a game with such reputation.
    I would describe it as a very disappointing game, especially for fans.
  82. Nov 21, 2012
    I'm a big fan of the series. I am 5 missions in and it absolution has been a bit disappointing. I really don't care about the story, only about the hits. And the hits have been pretty bad until now. There really has been only 1 mission out of 5 that you actually get to do a hit. First mission you play for like 45 minutes so you can get to the target and a cutscene cuts in (excuse the pun)I'm a big fan of the series. I am 5 missions in and it absolution has been a bit disappointing. I really don't care about the story, only about the hits. And the hits have been pretty bad until now. There really has been only 1 mission out of 5 that you actually get to do a hit. First mission you play for like 45 minutes so you can get to the target and a cutscene cuts in (excuse the pun) and you watch while he actually kills the target. That pretty much has been the most anti-climatic mission end in the whole series, and possibly in gaming lol.

Since the disguise system is abysmal, the levels are pretty linear, the game feels more like a stealth puzzle rather than a sandbox hitman game. You just can't improvise and do a hit that it is your own... not that the levels are actual hits mind you. First lvl cutscene hits, second lvl is the only true hit, third level you play to get to a shaft, fourth level is about running on rails from the cops, and so on and so forth.

Next no weapons selection before the level which makes sense since the levels are so linear it wouldn't make sense to let you bring something that will break said linearity.

In essence, you do no true hits, highly linear, bad disguese system, bad save system. All in all it is a pretty frustrating puzzle game where you have to replay long stretches for the smallest mistake.
  83. Nov 21, 2012
    The only reason why there are negative reviews for this game in the series is that it's no longer an easy game. The mechanics are much harder now, you can no longer just grab an outfit and do almost anything you want. Police also can recognize a bald man with a bar code on his head now. With that, the kills are much more rewarding. You really have to think to figure out how toThe only reason why there are negative reviews for this game in the series is that it's no longer an easy game. The mechanics are much harder now, you can no longer just grab an outfit and do almost anything you want. Police also can recognize a bald man with a bar code on his head now. With that, the kills are much more rewarding. You really have to think to figure out how to assassinate your targets because the stealth aspect is a lot harder now. The real break from the previous installments is how much harder it is to figure things out when you are constantly trying to sneak pass people. A lot of people complain about being on the run all the time, that's because this game is hard and they're just stuck on the earlier missions. If you want to be a mass murder instead of a silent assassin, the game also sets it up perfectly by putting you in crowded streets and access to explosives. The shooting at this point is very similar to any modern day fps. There are story levels that's pretty linear but there's definitely a good mix of levels that's traditional Hitman. The new fun ways to take out your targets are creative and fun. Of course that also means you need enjoy solving puzzles because it's no longer as obvious. With the exception of the few plot driven levels, there's multiple entries and many different ways to kill your target. The only reason why it might seem like there's no options is if you're going for the perfection kill, no disguises, no blown covers and only kill your target. Otherwise, there's a ton of options and the only downside is that some civilians might get killed when you drop a chandelier down. The only complaint I have is that if you killed someone by making it look like an accident, it shouldn't take points off for the kill. You're still a ghost if a horrible "accident" happens to kill civilians. Expand
  84. Nov 21, 2012
    I was really looking forward to this title... Sadly, i got disapointed. This is just not Hitman. First of, the graphics are outstanding abd the atmosphere is great too. But thats about it, as far as good points go. Negative aspects imo are:
    Totally dumbed down game, shifting the playstyle towards the Splinter-Cell franchise.
    No Map -> no mission planning or planning of tactics. No

No Map -> no mission planning or planning of tactics.
    No Sandbox-Levels -> Very linear gameplay
    No Weapon Selection or Equipment Selection prior to a mission -> WTF? Why do i even unlock the stuff in the first place? Why preorder? So i only can use the stuff in this contracts mode.... this is a bad joke!
    Totally dumb and silly story -> Wtf the Hitman suddenly becomes a like-able, daddy-like character? Sorry, this is the worst Hitman ive seen. Whoever came up with this stuff ruined just an other great Franchise.
  85. Nov 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WTF !!!

Honestly WTF, the game is not compatible with Windows XP.
    3 H to install, 1h 30 to update and then nothing !
    I asked Amazon to give me my money back because in the product description the game is compatible with XP...
  86. Nov 20, 2012
    The changes in comparison to previous games of the title are vast and **** We've got a simple stealth game. There is no pretty simulation of locations like hospitals, hotels, parts of cities and people's behaviour in them anymore. We won't excuse such **** up. It's a serious step of a degradation of game industry/ People who decide to make it should be sacked and do not work in gameThe changes in comparison to previous games of the title are vast and **** We've got a simple stealth game. There is no pretty simulation of locations like hospitals, hotels, parts of cities and people's behaviour in them anymore. We won't excuse such **** up. It's a serious step of a degradation of game industry/ People who decide to make it should be sacked and do not work in game industry anymore. I won't by any game of Square Enix untill there would be public excuses, public sacks, and a normal version of hitman. Expand
  87. Nov 20, 2012
    In my opinion,this game is brilliant. BUT if you're expecting a true Hitman,you're in for a shock. Disguises are no longer almighty,where in all previous games,once you've changed your clothes,you were practically invisible,in Absolution enemies actually know each other,that means if you disguised yourself as a cop,the cops will quickly see through you,but guards won't,unless you startIn my opinion,this game is brilliant. BUT if you're expecting a true Hitman,you're in for a shock. Disguises are no longer almighty,where in all previous games,once you've changed your clothes,you were practically invisible,in Absolution enemies actually know each other,that means if you disguised yourself as a cop,the cops will quickly see through you,but guards won't,unless you start acting suspiciously,forcing you to sneak a lot more than in Blood Money for example. Whole game is a lot more cinematic and story driven (however I found the story to be a bit generic,similar to a lot of Hollywood high budget flicks,but for me it's just a binder for the next levels) ,there are a lot of missions in which you just have to get to a specific point (personally I didn't like them,but it's not like they're badly made). I think that Absolution is also a bit more realistic,thanks to the AI changes,enemies can finally spot blood (they could in Blood Money as well IIRC,but that didn't seem to work most of the time),as mentioned before,they know they're colleagues and generally,they seem a lot more human. Also the fiber wire is the only completely silent weapon,so if,for example,you'll stab a cop and there's another cop nearby,he'll hear it and investigate. Using firearms was improved,they actually have individual feeling,enemies react to wounds and they're simply more fun to use now. There are 5 difficulty levels,I'm playing on expert right now and the game is hard,it's almost impossible to boldly go in,all guns blazing,on a group of enemies and walk out alive,unlike in Blood Money,where it was as easy as hiding behind a doorway and shooting the s:):)t out of your enemies. Now let's move on to the flaws. There are some quite annoying restraints,I'll explain that with an example. In one of the first missions,you have to first get to the upper floors,after which you get a checkpoint and it's a one way road,you can't go back to ground floor. Aside from that,I absolutely HATE some of the animations,even though I stopped paying attention to them after a few hours. If you take out a pistol,there will be a really fast animation of taking it out of the holster,but if you want to conceal it,it will miraculously disappear from your hand,same goes for all the objects. Also walking animation seems a bit strange at first and I didn't like that fact that you can conceal large firearms like assault rifles or even sniper rifles,I think it would be great to patch that up and give the players a suitcase,which could hold one large firearm,instead of putting it in an amazingly deep pocket somewhere inside 47's suit. And I didn't like the animation of shooting one pistol,which is one handed and seems very unprofessional (but that's just my deviation : D). So,to sum it all up,this game differs from the previous installments by putting a lot more weight on the sneaking,instead of disguising and going up to your target,more limited freedom,partially caused by the fact that enemies can actually see through your disguise and smaller levels. But it still requires you to think,I'd even say that a bit more than in the previous games (especially on higher difficulty settings) and is really enjoyable. Oh,I almost forgot,gun upgrading,which was great and detailed in Blood Money and actually had an impact is nonexistent in Absolution. So basically,as a standalone game I give it a 9,but as a part of the Hitman franchise,I'd say 6+,maybe 7 is more appropriate.

EDIT: I decided to change my mark after a few more hours. I still enjoy the game very much,but disguises are lot less useful when compared to previous games,some would even say they're useless :D I wouldn't agree with that,but the whole detection system should be toned down a bit because enemies are eagle-eyed and can see through your disguise at quite a distance in a record time even on normal difficulty,forcing you to go in blind quite a lot since you can't practically do any reconnaissance.
    And I thought I'll add a few words about how well the game is optimized. My PC: GTX 260 216 OC,4 GB RAM and a quad core Intel Q9400 @ 2.66 GHz can dish out an average of 30 FPS on high to ultra settings (with trilinear filtering though),so,considering the quality of graphics,is quite astonishing
  88. Nov 20, 2012
    This game is an excellent addition to the franchise. Yeah, some of the older favorite options are gone (purchasing guns pre-mission, open world maps), but I think the pacing of the game was handled very well. I can see how not liking the story could make the game blah for some people, but I was hooked from the start and had a blast all the way through the game. It felt great taking controlThis game is an excellent addition to the franchise. Yeah, some of the older favorite options are gone (purchasing guns pre-mission, open world maps), but I think the pacing of the game was handled very well. I can see how not liking the story could make the game blah for some people, but I was hooked from the start and had a blast all the way through the game. It felt great taking control of 47 again, and after a few clumsy take-downs I was able to sneak/blast through whatever situation I found myself in. I plan to re-play the game, and would recommend it to newcomers and silent assassins alike :) Expand
  89. Nov 20, 2012
    Play Blood Money after playing Absolution, and then tell me which one is a better reflection of how games should be in 2012. Absolution is technically, amazing. ~700 NPCs on screen in China Town. Great graphics. Don't get me wrong, I loved Blood Money.. I loved Blood Money almost as much as Hitman 2 when it came out... but now? Blood Money > Hitman 2... in time, Absolution may havePlay Blood Money after playing Absolution, and then tell me which one is a better reflection of how games should be in 2012. Absolution is technically, amazing. ~700 NPCs on screen in China Town. Great graphics. Don't get me wrong, I loved Blood Money.. I loved Blood Money almost as much as Hitman 2 when it came out... but now? Blood Money > Hitman 2... in time, Absolution may have the same effect. Expand
  90. Nov 20, 2012
    Just for removing the briefcase and appearing of sniper rifle out of thin air, while on official forums were lots of complaints before release. And yeah, in most this is not Hitman which we enjoyed with Bloodmoney. This is "on the run" like they are calling it, and there is lack of a manual save system, which were so useful to hanging around and experimentation that made the previousJust for removing the briefcase and appearing of sniper rifle out of thin air, while on official forums were lots of complaints before release. And yeah, in most this is not Hitman which we enjoyed with Bloodmoney. This is "on the run" like they are calling it, and there is lack of a manual save system, which were so useful to hanging around and experimentation that made the previous Hitman so enjoyable Expand
  91. Nov 20, 2012
    Whilst the transition to more modern gameplay elements does skew the Hitman formula to a degree, it still all works quite nicely. Disregard what others say about the game being "Agent 47 on the run", that's literally exclusive to the first chapter of the game and even then it's broken up between standard missions that you'd expect to see in Hitman.

Sure, the developers made it feel

Sure, the developers made it feel rather different by having the plot progressed by 47, but I personally feel this engages the player more, not just practically random missions connected by news reports and briefings. It's still Hitman, but the developers wanted to try something new.

As for the people complaining about frame rates, I've had zero issues with an AMD phenom ii x4 995 BE, AMD Radeon HD 6970 and 4GB RAM (on high settings). Computer optimization people!
  92. Nov 20, 2012
    Hitman Absolution is a mixed bag: It's definitely good by today's standards, but if you judge it by its pedigree, only Hitman Contracts (that map pack they insist on calling 'Hitman 3') can beat it in terms of mediocrity.
    Three missions in, I'm baffled by the linearity. Seeing so many cutscenes in the middle of the action takes a great toll on the satisfaction. The gameplay design is contradictory, with Instinct draining really fast, being used for arbitrary things and being almost impossible to refill on higher difficulties. In retrospect, it was a terrible idea to make every person wearing the same clothes as you able to see right through your disguise. I defended it before, and it may add to the realism (you know, since people working for the same security agency might know their colleagues), but it also makes disguises damn near useless. I'm not commenting on the level design, since the levels might open up later on, but so far, it's looking grim, and maybe they should have just omitted the console release entirely and just created bigger levels, without dividing them.
    Oh, and there is no excuse for the inclusion of a checkpoint system.

Overall, I wonder just how much feedback from hardcore fans they actually listened to. I'm afraid it cannot have been too much. It's okay, and I guess I'm still gonna have fun with it, but it lives a very bitter aftertaste, because I can already tell from the start that a lot of bad design decisions were made - It's not the Hitman 5 it could have been.
    Dafuq, IO?
  93. Nov 20, 2012
    TL;Dr version: Well the story mode is kind of meh but the true gem here is Contracts mode which is pure nirvana for fans of the series.

Obligatory Wall of Text: As a 30 something member of the Nintendo generation I have an instinctive revulsion to publishers and devs defecating on the classics just for a quick buck. I was especially concerned about the Hitman ip as I list Blood money and Silent Assasin as two of my all time favorite games. Luckily, they didn't do to 47 what they did to poor Sam Fisher. This game is actually quite good, perhaps an 8.5 or even a true 9/10 (not that kind of 9/10 that paid 'critics' give to nearly every game released), but I'll rate it a 10/10 just irritate the 13 year old hipsters jumping on the hate train to awesome town.
  94. Nov 20, 2012
    I've only completed around 20% of the game, but so far its been pretty fun. Anyway, here's a list of the good and bad stuff:

The Good: - Some excellent non-linear missions - Excellent graphics - Superb crowd mechanics - Controls are generally fluid and there are some awesome moves such as faking surrender and subduing people with an elbow to the fact - Fluid melee combat - feels

The Good:

- Some excellent non-linear missions
    - Excellent graphics
    - Superb crowd mechanics
    - Fluid melee combat - feels freaking awesome bashing peoples faces in with bottles and bricks
    - Shooting mechanics are pretty good, and it's the most amazing feeling to blow someone away with a shotgun when stealth is no longer an option

The Bad:

- Fairly graphically demanding (I'm running 30 fps on medium with a Radeon 6850, which isn't bad), but cutscenes and loading when respawning is so laggy that it drops to 1 fps. - Can't select equipment before your mission (so even though I spent 15 hours in the Sniper Challenge unlocking everything, it isn't available in the story missions)
    - There is a slight feel of "console port" (but this maybe just because of my mediocre FPS rate)
    - Large equipment can be concealed? This is a step back from Blood Money, where you had to hold anything bigger than a sub machine gun or drop it I'll add more stuff to the review as I complete the game.
  95. Nov 20, 2012
    Excellent take on Hitman, it takes a slightly different direction towards a more story driven narrative but it has many hitman moments, in fact the purist difficulty makes the game substantially harder than Blood Money so far.
  96. Nov 20, 2012
    This is truly one of the most definitive Hitman experiences out there, there are so many more options compared to the previous games, what would you like to do? Subdue a target discetely then take his clothes and attempt to walk straight through? But what if they notice you, what then, shall you proceed to use instinct to blend in and move away or perhaps find an alternate route? IfThis is truly one of the most definitive Hitman experiences out there, there are so many more options compared to the previous games, what would you like to do? Subdue a target discetely then take his clothes and attempt to walk straight through? But what if they notice you, what then, shall you proceed to use instinct to blend in and move away or perhaps find an alternate route? If you're caught, what then will you do, melee quitely and hope you're note widely discovered, fake surrender and take him as a human shield and blast your way out, or perhaps you skip the fake surrender and go straight for guns blazing? That's not even half of what you could do either, there are just so many more options in this sequel than the others. Sure, it doesn't have as many "simulation" features such as the inability to hide heavy 2 handed weapons on you, or having animations manually put your guns away along with other small features, but it trades those in for smoother gun control, more gameplay options, with a more complex melee system that works out for the better. One thing I would say that detracts, which I believe was intentional, was that if you put two bodies into a locker/closet together, you can see just before the doors close that they are positioned purposely in a way so as to make it look like they are having standing "doggystyle" sex, something which I think is a small detractor because the comedy feels so out of place and random that it doesn't blend well. If it wasn't intentional, which I doubt, I would very much like it to be fixed, for atmosphere's sake in a game such as this which has such a serious tone.

The AI has been given a major overhaul, truly reacting to each and every thing you do in the environment, reacting accordingly to it as well, although with a few minor hickups and glitches that aren't all too noticeable. It's hard to go in depth about the AI because of how diverse and complex it is, given the multitude of situations that they react differently in each and every time. One thing I do like though, is now other people in the environment may notice you or become suspicious if you're wearing a certain disguise.

Finally, the story. The characters are all unique in their mannerisms, voices, and look, each with their own feel and flavor to them. Their voice acting is all great and manages to make them feel alive and animated.

One flaw that was fatal in the game for me, detracting it an entire point, was the checkpoint system. This checkpoint system doesn't save your progress, it simply records your character up to that point and places you in that position, let me explain. Say you clear a room of guys, then you get a checkpoint. You die, naturally, and come back to it, and now all of the guys you just got through killing in the previous room before the checkpoint are back. This I felt detracted greatly from the sense of accomplishment if you pull off a very smooth gunfight sequence, only to find out all your efforts were in vain after dieing past the next checkpoint. A good amount of the levels are sectioned off though, so the checkpoint system seems to work in a way that doesn't hamper the player in those parts, but in the larger sandbox maps, it becomes very frustrating.

Finally, there is contracts mode, which enables you to cutsomize and create your very own hits and share them with the community. This is something that I wouldn't of expected to come from a game such as this, and works so well in so many ways as to be entirely unique, and hopefully becomes a permanent addition to the series from now on.

Overall this is a fantastic game with tons of content and as much polish as possible for the date they had set, very few bugs of any kind have been encountered and the everything seems to work as it should. Hats off to the developers for making such a fantastic game.
  97. Nov 20, 2012
    I found in the review of v00d00m4n exactly what i wanted to say. If you were a fan of blood money, don't buy it there is nothing left for you here!
  98. Nov 20, 2012
    I'm disappointed in this. The graphics and audio are nice, however the actual gameplay is somewhat point and click...the game leads you like a carrot in front of a donkey on how to take care of your objectives. There is no save option, only occasional checkpoints. The AI is not good. There are those 'invisible walls' that I find so annoying. The bottom line is that it just isn't funI'm disappointed in this. The graphics and audio are nice, however the actual gameplay is somewhat point and click...the game leads you like a carrot in front of a donkey on how to take care of your objectives. There is no save option, only occasional checkpoints. The AI is not good. There are those 'invisible walls' that I find so annoying. The bottom line is that it just isn't fun to play. Expand
  99. Nov 20, 2012
    Don't bother buying this game! You won't be able to play it!
    People (including me) can't pass the intro screen.
    It's so buggy that I'm not even able to play the game.
    Not buying another game from Square Enix anytime soon!
  100. Nov 20, 2012
    I have to say, I am very disappointed in this game so far... I am only about 30 minutes in and so far it feels like I am playing a game on rails. Way to linear.

1. The cut scene murder in the first mission is LAME. I don't want cut scenes, I want to execute hits! 2. Disguises don't mean anything... Heck, when you go through the first level and put on a disguise the game forgets

2. Disguises don't mean anything... Heck, when you go through the first level and put on a disguise the game forgets you ever wore one, cue cut scene and you're back wearing 47's suit?!?

3. The checkpoint system is stupid, I feel like I am playing Cabelas Big Game Hunter.

4. Did I say this game feels like it's on rails?

I'll force myself to continue playing to see if the gameplay gets any better, but my initial impression is that they really messed this up.

All I really wanted (and I'm sure many other gamers too) was another bunch of levels added to Hitman Bloodmoney and maybe some updated graphics... Instead they radically changed the game for the worse.

Bloodmoney was almost the perfect hitman game... Why didn't they build off that?!?!
  101. Nov 19, 2012
    Hitman Absolution has the same relationship to the hitman series that splinter cell conviction had to the splinter cell series to me. This game is a great stealth action shooter with an engaging story and amazing graphics. But as a hitman game, it is not up to par. Some of the biggest gripes I had were for one, no longer are you spending money earned from missions to upgrade and expandHitman Absolution has the same relationship to the hitman series that splinter cell conviction had to the splinter cell series to me. This game is a great stealth action shooter with an engaging story and amazing graphics. But as a hitman game, it is not up to par. Some of the biggest gripes I had were for one, no longer are you spending money earned from missions to upgrade and expand your arsenal, but now you are picking up things as you go. No more poison or mines always at your disposal, now you must improvise. Now this isn't terrible because it goes with the theme of, "hitman is on the run from everything and he has nothing to help him" blah blah blah. Which brings me to my next point. In Blood Money, you entered a massive level and went throughout it to creatively kill your targets, then leave the same way causing no alarm. Now you are going from point A to point B in a much more linear fashion. Now even though I have all these complaints, if you are looking for a nice stealth action game, (and don't worry, being a silent assassin bad ass is still possible) with a fantastic story and stellar graphics, this game should defiantly be worth a purchase. Collapse

Despite the deviations and minor shortcomings, it remains true to its roots. It just brushes them aside for a while, just long enough for it to tell its story- a story where the traditional contracts and other usual components just wouldn’t fit. [January 2013]
  2. Jan 8, 2013
    Hitman: Absolution does stand out from the ocean of gray and brown shooters that populate the market, but not in enough good ways to warrant a recommendation.
  3. Dec 26, 2012
    It's not a bad game by any means, and it does fix some problems with the controls that plagued previous games, but having the story that essentially makes Agent 47 less of a hitman and more of an espionage hero, makes Absolution a decent stealth game but not a fantastic Hitman game.