6.9

1. Mar 29, 2014
    Hitman: Absolution is the absolute direct successor to Blood Money, with enhanced mechanics and much-improved graphics (Tons of lens flare).

I really don't understand the mainstream hate on this game, i've completed the storyline (warning: isn't really that great) like any person around the world. Which means it is possible, but probably a little challenging at times, depending on the
    difficulty you are playing on.

Really recommend getting the Hitman franchise if you want to feel like a complete badass, Blood Money and Absolution did not disappoint me, at all.

Area(s) to improve on:

- Perfect, or Better Story-telling
    - Pretty flawed A.I Behavior

Improving on 2 of these issues (the might be more that i've mistakenly excluded from this list) could result in more people actually willing to finish the game and decrease the amount of retries, which can be god-awful during some levels.

UPDATE (29/1): After hearing from the recent news disclosures of Hitman 6 from IO interactive, i was very pumped! Go IO Interactive!!
  2. Mar 18, 2014
    In short: awwww man, they broke it. Frustrating game because it has so much potential. The graphics feel smooth and the mechanics are better than ever but they removed all planning, thinking and stealth (actual stealth - welcome to cover-based running). You still have different approaches but you can't plan any of them and often have to choose one at random because the consequences are unclear. In one mission you can choose to disguise yourself as an electrician or try to sneak in around the back but you have no way of knowing what the difference is so you choose randomly. You can't bring your own weapons or gear either, so the game comes up with the most stupid excuses to place sniper rifles and other useful things on site for you to find. It doesn't make sense.

The world feels alive and each character has their own story, which is cool, but in the end your role is merely that of a spectator and not a protagonist. You're there to watch in awe how cool the world looks, not to play in it. Such a shame - great potential, awful execution.
  3. Mar 8, 2014
    I will admit I was not a fan at first. I enjoyed the first two levels, with the King Of Chinatown being brilliantly designed to introduce you to the variety of killing options in this game. However, it was missions 3-6 that really turned me off to the game. Luckily, after writing my previous mixed review, I pushed on, and I'm so glad I did. The gameplay really picks up after that, as does the story. Once you tame the beast that is the stealth engine, missions open up, remaining just as challenging but becoming LESS frustrating. The disguise system starts to work better with the opening up of levels, as do the other mechanics. Weapons are fun. Stealth is fun. Tools and mechanics are just so satisfyingly FUN! Great game. Not much I can complain about, besides the mission 3-6 stretch. Expand
  4. Mar 2, 2014
    Hitman is unique, this game has something that I never found in other game... Maybe absolution is far to be the best hitman, but is a hitman and it has the same spark that is so hard to find in others games... one advice? Play this game in purist difficulty and enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed it, lose yourself in the game, the environment in hitman let you do that.. that is hitman.. Of course now I'm already waiting for the next game of this amazing saga. Expand
  5. Feb 28, 2014
    나는 이게임을 정말재미있게했다.
    멋진 액션과 좋은 그래픽과 정말 최고의게임이라고 생각한다.
    타격감도 좋다.battlefield4보다 재미있게 했다.
    플레이타임도 길고 정말 재미있다.
  6. Feb 24, 2014
    Really boring and disappointing after two years of pubs and all these stuff and no matter how years of work. Very unpleasant and doesn't worth even to talk about. There's no fun in playing this, it can only gives you headaches. When I watched the gameplay videos I thought: wow, really impressive. Hitman 2 is miles better than this crap. Even though this game worth a 7 on score, but I won't give it after all this long expectation. Expand
  7. Feb 19, 2014
    Despite the same decent levels of gameplay you are used to with Hitman this one feels lacking in cohesion. The missions seem like cookie cutter stuff spliced with cut scenes to hurriedly push along the story. The end is also FAR from an "Absolution"
  8. Feb 13, 2014
    What a horrible waste of time and disk space.

Horrible game mechanics, horribly linear, horrible story that is boring and makes no sense, every single boss kill is incredibly anticlimactic, this game is absolutely horrible, from beginning to end.

Not to mention misleading the consumer by releasing trailers and demos that have almost nothing to do with the actual game.
  9. Feb 11, 2014
    "I wish this was more linear." "I wish they got rid of the targets or killed more of them in cut scenes." "I wish I had no control over the weapons I use each level." "I hate this."

If you've ever found yourself wondering one of these things while playing any previous Hitman game then you have just found your game of the year. Congrats. So jelly.
  10. Jan 17, 2014
    -The game isn't made by the same devs -Bad Story / Cliche Characters -James Seth Lynch -Adam Jensen's DLC -Abusive use of swears. -Bad "Over-the-shoulder" view. -No Map -Stupid Instinct that Holds your hand -Absurdly Small and divided levels/On rails -Checkpoint save system/On rails -Broken Disguise System -Painfull Cover System -Stupid and useless scoring system -Can't close doors -No looking through keyholes -No Light switch -No weapon selection -No Sniper Case/Magic pockets -Quick time events -Can't kill most targets -Stupid Escaping levels -Stupid scripted cutscenes -Stupid "One of a Kind" mission -Stupid Gun Game to get your ballers back -Garbage Bins everywhere -Total disregard by the compagny for the real fans +Nice Graphics/Animations +Nice voice acting +Dragging corps with the fiber wire (-The game isn't made by the same devs) That says a lot. Nothing more to say about this. (-Bad Story/Cliche Characters) The story isn't that bad. The problem is that it was obviously made for a Movie, not a game. They made a good 3D movie and butchered it with bad gameplay. The Story broke the gameplay of the whole franchise so in the end, it's worst than better. Most protagonists and antagonists simply doesn't fit well in the Hitman lore and feels absurde. (Blake, Birdie, Sanchez, Sexy Nuns...) All that comes with the devs team changing and the AAA title mash-up in a lot of ways. Heck, I would say that they mashed-up AAA game Titles with AAA movie titles. (-James Seth Lynch) The proof that Absolutio Devs cares more about kayne & Lynch than Hitman. (-Adam Jensen's DLC) Another Proof with J.S. Lynch that the game is a big and bad AAA titles mash-up. (-Abusive use of swears.) It's not that big of a deal, but the first time we encounter Blake Dexter, he says the "F" word 12 times. (-Bad "Over-the-shoulder" view.) Every other Hitman games were TPS and weren't using this bad and stupid POV that block Half your screen. H2:SA was on console so it's not a matter of "consolisation" but a matter of dumbing down everything for the CoD/Mass Effect/Etc audience. Obviously. (-No map / Instinct / Small levels / Checkpoint system / ) There wouldn't be any Checkpoint save system if it was a real Hitman game. And as many said, when they reload back to a checkpoint, every enemies are back and put you in bad situations. The save system is broken. The whole game is broken. Everytime something is changed to the worst, it brings something else down with it. Instinct because No Map No Map Because the levels are small Checkpoints because the level are small again. In overall, the level design is crap. (-Stupid and useless scoring system) Makes you feel punished for trying to have fun. (-Can't close doors/No look through keyholes/Turn on switch) Why? Because of bad AI scripting and bad level design, again, probably! (-No weapon selection) Even if 47 isn't with the agency anymore, what exactly stops 47 from having his weapons from the last level. As 47, If I wasn't with the agency anymore, I would dig myself a hole and make my own stach of items. (-No Sniper Case/Magic pockets) Something that was there since the very first hitman game has been removed for no good reason. (-Quick time events) Casualisation. (-Can't kill most targets) What's the point of being a Hitman if you don,t kill your targets? There's none. (-Escaping levels) Again, am I supposed to feel like a hitman or something? Because it doesn't feel like it. (-Stupid cutscenes / "One of a Kind" mission) The "One of a kind" mission let you play something that should've been a cutscene while Target kills are done within cutscenes. This is plain and simply stupid. (-Stupid Gun Game to get your ballers back) Bad gameplay design, bad story line. (-Garbage Bins everywhere) Obviously, it's for the casual no-brainers with one cell in the brain. Unable to hide a body if there isn't 50 garbage bin around you. (-Total disregard by the compagny for the real fans) Trying to milk a franchise isn't a good way to please the fans. At all. The game is bad as a stealth game and is even worst as an Hitman game. It's a total disrespect to the fans. 47 is dead and trolls dance on his corps. A sad time for loyal Hitman fans. Expand
  11. Jan 16, 2014
    Hitman: Absolution took its time to be released.

The gameplay seemed dull and linear, especially with the lack of planning potential and almost no content from the previous games.

The abilities that Agent 47 gains are nice (movement prediction of the hostiles + an enhanced aim then shoot mode), however i get mixed feelings about the disguises. In some environments, you can blend with
    the surroundings which is great, but in others, you have to require stealth in order to get undetected, disguise or not.

An argument against the linearity of the game would be that each mission is divided in many sub-missions, which allows you to "plan" your moves.
    You should also take note of the challenges (Or achievements, sort of.) that makes the game even more challenging, and encourages you to re-play missions taking many different approaches. Grinders would love this.

The selections of firearms is disappointing. Only the legendary Silverballers remain, and they don't possess any sort of important power, since most enemies should die in one shot. You can still play with guns blazing, but the lack of upgrades makes this particular game style real boring real fast. I recommend playing in stealth and using melee silent take downs, where you get a variety of eliminations.

The storyline is good. I don't want to spoil the review, just take my word on it. You will most probably enjoy the story and the generous range of characters.

Graphics are also good. Nothing to add there.

Finally, the multiplayer mode is new to me: it's a sandbox mode where you get to pick targets to assassinate, then murder them. This will record the time it took you to kill your targets and which weapon you used (or if killed by triggering an "accident") You later post that murder recipe and other players on the net can try and assassinate the targets the same way as you do. It can be enjoyable if played in a competitive spirit with friends.

You shouldn't go out of your way to get this title, but at the same time you will not regret buying it.
  12. Jan 14, 2014
    The game betrays the spirit of Hitman games. It was turned into a action centered games, where you run and hide in corridors. Hitman was about solving a puzzle to killa s pecific victim, now the game has turned into a random action game. Dont do it. Dont buy it.
  13. Jan 7, 2014
    This is a Splinter Cell with disguises, not a real Hitman game. Disguises have severely limited usefulness, because guards react to your changed clothes a LOT more. Therefore you have to sneak with a disguise most of the time anyway.
  14. Jan 1, 2014
    It's not terrible, it's just not great. I can understand the disappointment of a lot of hitman fans here. Objective markers, clearly marked pathways. These things pretty much are anathema to the previous hitman titles. As others have said this feels more like a splinter cell title, which isn't a bad thing it's just not what it said on the tin.
  15. Dec 29, 2013
    I bought the game 1 month ago on Steam as the initial User reviews weren't great. Boy, oh, boy I should've listen to those user reviews. I have 42minutes of playing time and that was enough for me. The game has been significantly dumbed down for younger audience, you are constantly spoon-fed wherever you go. Very linear and enough cut scenes to make yourself believe you weren't in a game.

Its now on steam for $5, wait until it gets cheaper, then it will be worth it.
  16. Dec 27, 2013
    I was looking forward soo much for this game. Huge disappointment. I expected fun and nonlinear game like Blood Money was. What I got is next gen hide and seek simulator. Game has good potential bud it is killed by numerous ill-considered game-breaking changes to game mechanics. Using up instinct when in costume is the worst one. You can't go trough the level and plan your strategy because you have to be hidden nearly all the time. Need to recharge instinct forces you to kill non-targets which is huge downer for us clean killer folks. It is also very stupid and unrealistic. Same goes for need to knock out every other guy so you can move around freely at least a little bit. I seriously doubt that worker in the huge factory can instantly recognize all of his 500 colleagues at glance. I also really miss customizing your weapons. Nothing compares to smuggling your lightweight heavily customized w2000 through security. That was big part of fun for me and it's sad to watch it being dumped out of the game. All in all every single change of game mechanics from BM is game-breaking. There may be many hidden ways to kill your target or get upper hand but game actively forces you to take the most boring and most obvious road. Expand
  17. Dec 26, 2013
    Such a shame, a great franchise ruined for no other reason other than what? Laziness? Trying something new? I'm not sure bug the game stinks.

The reason why I'm giving it such a low score and not an average one is because of the great games preceding it.
  18. Dec 10, 2013
    Hitman is back and is it good? Yep. Hitman: Absolution is a fantastic game, filled with fun and action. Sticking true to it's roots at most parts. The graphics are great and it runs well on my PC. The Presentation and the detail itself is very good. The character animations are great, truly good achievement on such old hardware. The game itself while sticking true to it's roots at parts, goes more action-like. Of course I feel it should have really stayed 'The hitman way'.

The story is decent, but the level structure is so good. You can basically approach a mission in plenty of different ways.

The ending wasn't that great, though.

Overall, Hitman: Abs is a good game and definitely worth it.
  19. Dec 7, 2013
    Hitman Absolution is a very average game. Pros are Decent storytelling, Well animated Cutscenes, Decent story, Many different approaches for each mission, Very tense, No bugs, Fantastic mechanics, Very gripping, Great AI, long campaign. Cons are Story goes a bit haywire towards the end, and contradicts the story so far, Below average PC port, gets repetitive, can be frustrating, terrible gunplay, no real difficulty curve, only difficulty spikes, fuzzy graphics, disguises are rendered useless, linear and disloyal to the previous games, Hand-to-hand combat is nothing but a QTE, Fake difficulty, Contracts mode is awful.

I'd recommend this game, but just bear in mind that it's nowhere near perfect.
  20. Nov 16, 2013
    After playing Blood Money, and loving it, I was excited to hear about Absolution. Then I played it... No sniper rifle in the briefcase No custom weapons for each level Can't aim down the sight on the guns THAT HAVE OPTICS Lose points for anyone that isn't a main target, even if you just knock them out. The tutorial at the start teaches you how to sneak, use your fibre wire, point shooting, etc...but all are useless since it'll just count against you...

I found it far too easy to just run and gun, since this game plays like a shooter, not a stalker. If I'm going to lose points, might as well go big and kill everyone...
  21. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Amazing, some of the best. Character models look fantastic, 47’s bald head never looked better. 10.
    Sound: Great voice acting, amazing soundtrack, realistic environmental sounds. 10.
    Gameplay: The gameplay has been refined to modern day controls with a cover system that works the best that I’ve seen so far, but still retains the old Hitman formula. Each mission is
    tackled in various ways all up to the player to decide. Stealth plays a major role in this game, making run and gunning an option but very difficult. This isn’t the best Hitman game I’ve played but it is one hell of an amazing game, gametrailers for their false review. 9.5.
    Story: Your back in business and your first task is to assassinate Diana, but she leaves you a request to take care of a girl, and you go through all you can to meet her request. Along the way you run into some hilarious characters, and other interesting villains which make assassinating them a joy. While the story isn’t the greatest, it still keeps an interested vibe to keep pushing the game forward. 9.0.
    Lasting Appeal: Worth it, buy this ****ing game, the gametrailers reviewer, he is no stealth fan, he can’t appreciate a good game, but you can, buy this game! 10.
    Overall Score: 9.7 out of 10.
  22. Nov 10, 2013
    I must say I really enjoyed the game. It was not out and out amazing, but I had fun. For me it was the best Hitman game I have played. I was never that much of a fan of the series, but I liked this one. It was a solid 7.
  23. Nov 7, 2013
    I have to say that I wasnt a real fan of Hitman but this part I enjoyed a lot, maybe that is the reason why I enjoyed it, cause as a game it is pretty nicely done. It is a great game and gave me a nice stealthy rush. Therefore 10 points cause quality is excellent in every aspect, too.
  24. Nov 5, 2013
    I'm a long-time Hitman player and in short, It lacks words to express my deep disappointment for this game.

Think about everything that made the series so epic erstwhile They screwed every little bit of those things.

No more world-wide contracts no more assassinations and briefing. Instead, we were "gifted" with an uninspiring and boring story filled with a low quality drama, and
    with a cartoonish cowboy as an antagonist.

I'm holding myself not to rate this failure in shape of game a ZERO and i won't do so just because of the engine, the well-polished graphics, the killing and shooting system and last but not least, the game's length.

All those factors make the game enjoyable for the newcomers to the series; all of whom, comprehensibly, doesn't give a if the devs KILLED the Hitman Series or not.
  25. Nov 2, 2013
    The games gunplay was boring, and yes i like doing stealth runs and rampage runs, both were ordinary. hitman silent was the best game it combined them both so well.

No loadout to select your weapons before a map this time either, goto use cheats just to have some fun on maps.
  26. Nov 2, 2013
    This is one of the most hallow games I've ever played. I literally felt empty upon completion. The story is a mess, the gameplay and level design is inconsistent, the implementation of a "Instinct" feature, and also voice acting that is laughably bad. I'd say it's not as bad Splinter Cell: Conviction, but the problem being that this game is worse. There is no reason to play this game at all. It is the most vapid and empty game I've ever played in my life. Expand
  27. Oct 26, 2013
    With this game needing to keep up with previous releases of the game, plenty of players aren't totally happy with it, yet, the game has crafted an amazing story, which gets you trapped on it, making the whole experience quite enjoyable.

The best of the Hitman series is here, stealth mode. You don't need to go against all of your opponents when you can simply trick them and do your job
    as cleanly as possible; get in, take your target down and get out. It doesn't get any easier than this.

The new "Instinct" system is quite useful, and if you're looking for a challenge, you can simply not use this feature, and beat the game without using it, even though there are some quite nice tricks that come in the package.

All in all, the game is enjoyable, the storyline is amazing, and playability is decent. You should play this game.
  28. Oct 26, 2013
    The game gets merit, but the vast majority of it comes from the credit of its predecessors. It has amazing graphics, and the create your own contracts feature just blows your mind away. With more accidents, excellent and vast pathways to kill your target, the game does deserve some credit.
    However, the storyline was a bit too greasy, that is, it didn't "feel" like the hitman storyline.
    The gameplay also was a bit linear. Some missions in the game felt completely pointless, and were there just for the sake of it. Having said that, it did feature some of the best missions in the series so far, like blackwater park and king of chinatown. But the game did seem to loose its true identity. Killing a wrestler publicly did make me feel like "what the hell am I doing?" Some features did show 47 going soft, which, according to me, was kind of pathetic.
    The only reason for the game to get an 8, is that it does bring out a few fragments of the classic features of the series, the awesome "create your own contracts" feature, and a variety of accidental kills. Nothing more.
  29. Oct 21, 2013
    The map is toooo small,please don't split it in to small parts. I can't choose weapon before starting a mission. And the enemy is really annoying, i hate this game, i want my old hitman game backkkkkk
  30. Oct 21, 2013
    This game is quite fun. Ive never played a Hitman game before this so i cant compare, but it holds up on its own. Its fun to wonder the areas and find an interesting way to kill your target. Ill never get tired of killing people in a chicken suit.
  31. Oct 18, 2013
    new generation of graphics better looking characters more graphics and a total and unnecessary revamp of a perfectly fine system. The new disguise system is almost a joke and pointless, the episodic missions just ruin the fun of having a big map to roam around in as it essentially cuts it up into 3-6 different sequences where even if you screw up in a previous one it has 0 impact on the next at least we got our fan service Expand
  32. Sep 26, 2013
    Upon release, I hated this game, however after playing thorugh it again, I have reconsidered my stance from a 3 to a 6. The contracts mode is good, and as a game, it is not that bad. They made some mistakes with this game, there is no doubt about that. But on the whole, it's still a very impressive game with some improvements, like the graphics, fluid movements, realism etc. I'm mainly changing my stance on this review because it saddens me that the Hitman Dev team had cutbacks, most likely as a result of the poor reception this game recieved. I just wish IO would make another Hitman game, one that follows the formula of blood money, but has the visuals and smoothness of this game. Expand
  33. Sep 17, 2013
    Love Hitman Series. However, almost every CONSOLE PORT gets a minus-one from me right away, simply because it does not care about PC GAMERS. And this Hitman installation obviously does not. You cannot adjust FOV, which is limited to a box-view. I mean come on you are a silent assassin and you cannot see anything beyond what's directly in front of you (and even that is often obstructed by the bald head of the main character). Come ooooon!
    The game is also a little too hard from beginning (although i am playing on hard, and it seems that all areas are littered with people, making silent approach almost impossible), punishing you for taking out (even if you just knock someone out) all non-targets and decreasing your mission "budget".
    Aside from the bad, i still enjoy the game: hiding in the shadows, pulling gangsters out of the windows, snapping the necks of your targets, dressing as maids (alright maybe not as maids, but you'll definitely get a chance to dress as cowboy!) all of those things are present in Hitman: Absolution, and if you enjoyed previous installations, you will enjoy this one as well.
  34. Sep 11, 2013
    Great AAA game. The stealth mechanics are pretty good, the action gameplay has been improved, the difficulty is high, and the graphic and sounds are very polished.

The instinct mode has been well implemented, without ruining the gameplay. I don't know if this one is actually better than the Blood Money.

Honestly i didn't like this "new" character of 47 as in the past. But the story
    it's still quite good, and the longevity is around the 25 hours.

I suggest this new Hitman game to all the fans of the series, and to those who love stealth games.
  35. Sep 1, 2013
    When I first saw the unveiling of Hitman: Absolution, I was optimistic to see our favorite nefarious assassin make it to the current generation of gaming. What I was not optimistic for was the Hollywood cast, or the introduction of “magic pockets” (that is, the ability to carry a sniper rifle in your coat pocket). In the faux pas words of Max Scoville, who interviewed IO Interactive staff after a preview of the game, my worries were “assured”.

It is true that Absolution retains its stealth ethic (and arguably with as much rigor as Silent Assassin), but it is greatly downplayed by an obnoxious point system ever present in the upper left corner. Every misstep you perform is noted here, and it cannot be disabled unless you play on purist. I assume that this is the IO’s snide reply to those who complained about mystery witnesses at the end of the level in previous games.

Speaking of AI; it has definitely improved to some extent, there are no longer telepathic NPCs who know who you are just by hearing a guard lift up a radio without saying any words in it. At one point, I was amazed how the AI suspected I was behind them when I reloaded my gun, or when I knocked out a guard and his radio made some kind of interference. But it is still not perfect. Unless you yourself make noise, guards never look behind themselves, even when you throw something right in front of them from 5 feet away. I found this AI was most comparable to Silent Assassin, since I still remember being shot in St. Petersburg for running.

The story in itself is one of question. Although it lines together with the conclusion of Blood Money rather well, it goes into a whole other direction with the inclusion of a plot device, a 14 year old genetically modified girl given superhuman abilities with an isotope in her necklace. A dying request by one of 47′s former employers is to protect her prized innocence, and seek out and kill those who wish to do her harm. The initial casting of William Mapother and recasting of David Bateson has 47 speak more lines in this game than arguably any of his previous titles. Yet 47 doesn’t babble, his newly founded areas of dialogue include briefing the player, found on by pressing the F1 key when on a level.

Regarding level design, the developers have largely abandoned that open world feel in favor of a more linear theme. The open world concept is still alive in some levels such as the Chinese New Year and Hope missions, but is by no means to the same extent as Blood Money was, which was way more consistent. I do admit, though, that they were far more generous in sheer number with 20 levels.

Graphically speaking, the visuals are stylistic, but too many filters and post-processing are applied in the name of artistic direction. It was almost reminiscent of Battlefield 3 in a way, knowing that the visuals already looked just fine 5 filters ago. Luckily, you can turn off the bloom in the settings.

The depth of field is incredibly flawed, however. Even at the highest setting, you have a severely myopic camera that will unexpectly blur out even the most important things in your field of view. It is especially bad when 47 is coming out of a dark tunnel in a mission to enter Dexter’s Industries, but perhaps it is intentional. If so, it was not a good decision to include it within the game.

With the absence of Jesper Kyd, the sound design is left extremely sporadic and often random. The music will often cease or begin without any cue, and the action music, when 47 is discovered and NPCs turn hostile, is uninteresting and bland compared to the orchestral/electronica mix we’ve come to know and love.

In conclusion, Absolution is probably one of the most polarizing titles in the Hitman series since its conception in 2000. Now approaching its adolescence, it has lost most of its innocence and changed its state of mind in order to fit in with the in crowd. That means no more map, no more first person point of view, and no more “stop and smell the roses” missions. Is it a good thing? I’m not so sure at the moment. Usually, when a game gets a mixed rating the critic suggests that only true fans pick up this title, but I suggest the exact opposite. If you’re new to this series, playing this first can give you a taste of the gameplay so you can work backwards to the core of the series and see what was the true aim of the series was all about. That is what I believe Absolution, after 6 years in development, seems to be lacking.
  36. Aug 24, 2013
    Hitman Absolution is a mixed bag. While basically an OK game and worth buying on sale (for under $10) it suffers from a few tragic weaknesses, which are unfortunate, because it had the potential to be a classic: THE GOOD. This game boasts great cinematics and cut-scenes. The story is interesting and the graphic fidelity in the game levels is solid. The UI and the unlockables are also solid. As a console port it is one of the better ones. Replayability is there because of how easy it is to mess up stealth. THE BAD: The levels are too small and too linear. Controls. While we understand that this is supposed to be a 'stealth game', why does agent 47 walk so damned SLOW? Sticky cover is problematic. A lack of jumping and environment destructibility are both fails in a game based around mastering an environment. In short, the controls feel sticky and clumsy. Since veteran gamers have played dozens of these games, we quickly get a feel for the level of nuance in the controls and hear they fall short of what they should be for an 'assassin' game. Despite my qualms, buy it and try it yourself. There are things like, if you can master the controls and the levels.

37. Aug 19, 2013
    This is a good game. It is completely different (but good different) to the previous installments yet that shouldn't put you off giving it a try. There are times when proceedings move in the on-rails direction though this is generally handled with finesse. The quick-time melee system is kind of cool in my opinion, it makes you a bit more vulnerable and forces you to plan your sneak attacks precisely. Guards are overly alert and if you hang around too long or move too quickly past other guards then you will be outed in a flash. Absolution is a lot more challenging than Blood Money. What is completely retarded however is when you take a disguise that has a mask and 47 opts to not wear it....?! Somewhat reminiscent of Hitman 2 where dressing up in full firefighter gear (complete with gas mask) did nothing to avail suspicion.

Many have said that Absolution has done for Hitman what Conviction did for Splinter Cell... This isn't true since Absolution is undoubtedly a well-crafted (albeit different) gaming experience whereas Conviction was a total disaster.

However:

- Checkpoint system is clumsy
    - The various uses for Instinct are rendered worthless since you will use up most of the ability getting past other guards
    - Performance issues (e.g. the infamous Absolution appcrash error, it took me 2 hours to fix it before I could even begin playing the game)
    - Straight to DVD plot
  38. Aug 17, 2013
    Greatly improved from former series, less realistic though. But does it really matter? As far as it is a game, user-friendliness and immersion are much more important than any other things. Anyway, this game was intriguing at all. That's enough for it.
  39. Aug 17, 2013
    Ha-ha,very funny you can hide your sniper rifle or AR into your pocket.Yep,it's called "Realism" and "Hardcore", stupid and uninteresting storyline, all gameplay consists of a idiotic tricks,like Throw that bottle,knife or another %itemname% in dark corner.

40. Aug 17, 2013
    Great atmosphere, great story and great graphics, solid 8 by me, but it could be better. Game just needs more polishing. Too many bugs and lots of really irritating aspects. Since when building's security is permitted to use smg and assault rifles or even to run any investigation "We have suspect here" Those latex dominatrix nuns with guns a'la Elite Guard from RTCW are not even better. County jail in Hope bigger than Alcatraz isn't far behind... Seriously, where did you get all this sick crap IO Definitely old Hitman 2: Silent Assassin is still the best part. Expand
  41. Aug 10, 2013
    As a Hitman fan it was literally painful to play through this game. I followed the buildup of this game from the very start. As soon as IO Interactive muttered the words "Agent 47 is now on the run" something inside me said that Absolution was going to be bad. It turns out my inner feeling wasn't wrong. It's not that it's a 'bad' game, it's an 'ok-ish' Splintercell Conviction clone with some bugs and stupid broken A.I. But as a Hitman game it is very bad, the worst in the series in fact. They have taken everything that made Hitman so fun and special, threw it in the bin, then replaced it with a linear story driven action game. Playing through it was like watching a terrible B Movie, it was so bad i just had to keep watching/playing through. Expand
  42. Aug 9, 2013
    Much smaller levels, very few paths to your target, very linear level design, no black market, no syringes or other interesting assassin tools, not many interesting ways to kill your targets, little and more often than not zero history behind your targets or any motivation to kill them besides them wanting to kill you.

Environments and targets have very little variation, most of the
    environments are in the US, the vast majority of which are in North Dakota and New York. Has an odd underlying crude sexual theme which simply doesn't fit very well with this game. The game's story focus essentially throws out the premise of being a hitman until its very end.

You can still be spotted by people wearing the same outfit as you as though every gardener on the planet knows one another, and being spotted in any difficulty besides easy is almost always certain death.

Contracts mode puts you in the same levels obviously designed with a linear story in mind. The only freedom it allows in the game's constrictive levels here is the contract's name/description, who you're killing, what single weapon you can choose to start with, and what you are wearing.

All in all, a serious disappointment and downgrade from Blood Money.
  43. Aug 6, 2013
    After playing the Hitman HD Collection i have to say that this game is a major step down in almost every way. It looks much prettier, but the levels are far far smaller than previous games, this one is much more about the story than it is about the gameplay. I loved how previous Hitmans allowed you to select your weapons before dropping you off in a huge sandbox of fun that allowed you to explore and do as you wish. With Hitman Absolution the story forces you down narrow paths and small linear levels full of cutsences, hell even some of the hits turn into cutscenes which takes away the point and a huge part of the fun. I don't want a cutscene to take over and kill a target for me i want to do it myself. Not being able to select your own weapons before each level also takes a lot of the fun away. After play Hitman Contracts and Hitman Blood Money i was super excited for Hitman Absolution, but sadly it just didn't feel anything like a Hitman game. Expand
  44. Aug 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just finished the singleplayer campaign, and I have to admit: I'm glad the game is over. Hitman Absolution in my opinion is not a good game. The storyline if you can call it that is absurd and poorly written, the dialogues are ridiculously cheesy. Every single character in the game is one-dimensional and so exaggerated it's laughable. Also, I despise the depiction of women in this game, they are either the videogame standard "damsel in distress", pure sex objects, or the leather latex ninja killer nuns trying to murder you... seriously?
    The design of most missions is boring, linear, predictable, especially of the short missions. It seems the designers tried to make this a pseudo hollywood-like experience, but they fail miserably, especially due to the bad story and characters as mentioned above. Controls are okay, except for button mashing when performing certain actions what for, what's the point in this? And of course the game contains several quicktime events worst mechanics in modern videogames, which does not at all fit into this game. The checkpoint based gamesave system is unfair and broken, very annoying, as is the mission evaluation system which often does not give correct score when finishing mission.
    I loved the previous Hitman games, but this one is not a good sequel. Why didn't they make more missions like the "King of Chinatown"? That was the only part in the game I liked. Their "story" unfolding afterwards no thank you.
  45. Jul 30, 2013
    Indeed this is now more like Splinter Cell with its linear corridor-type levels. No real disguises (the thing which really made Hitman so fun!). Sometimes I expected to come up with hands up (X button) but the guard was already shooting at me. This all just feels too inconsistent. Cmon devs haven't you ever worked as janitors or similar in your life, perhaps as students? Those guys never fully know everyone else working with them, new people come, also there are these temp work firms who lease personel in that respect disguises would work in real life almost like in previous Hitman games. And you just took away the whole experience. You see, Hitman was not a Deus Ex Human Revolution style game where you play hide and seek and shoot tranqualizer darts, it was a game about dressing as servants, guards and janitors.. Absolution is probably not a bad a game by itself, it's just that I don't wish to play it because I like Hitman and not Splinter Cell. Expand
  46. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hitman absulution is the newest game in the series, albeit not the best. The game itself was fun, but had very low replayability due to the fact that they redid everything.
    THE GOOD~
    What i really liked about this game was the fact that you could go sneaking about and strangle people. Its brilliant. Thats like all the other games though, so ill skip that. The graphics are amazing, and when you finish the game, you can play other user-made "Contracts" that make you kill certain people with certain weapons, and costumes, etc. There is a vast majority of melee weapons and guns, and the story is somewhat fascinating. (Not really, but who listens to the story anyway?) Throughout the game, they really emphasize that the bad guys ARE the bad guys, and i liked that. It keeps you going.
    THE BAD~
    In my opinion, Blood-Money was better. They really took a linear approach this time. Sure, you can choose if you want to kill your target in the left hall or the right one, but in blood money, you could choose the left, the right, the roof, the kitchen, in public, with a gun, a knife, in the bathroom, with a plunger, etc. They really took out the sandbox feel that most of the series has. The replayability is low due to this fact, so once you beat the game, its pretty much done. Also, they penalize you for killing civilians with score. I didnt like that, especially since in BM i would have "Kill everyone" missions, just for fun. They also REALLY butchered the disguises. If you wear a disguise, and a police officer sees you (Lets say you were wearing a PoPo uniform) He would get gradually more suspicious until you were "arrested", in which case you would take his gun and get into a hostage situation. THAT'S NOT STEALTHY. I like stealth, but Hitman: Absolution butchered that.
  47. Jul 27, 2013
    Its not the Hitman you remember from Blood Money. Very linear, less creativity needed, achieving high score is easy. On the other hand graphics are great, story is good. Its like old Hitman mixed with Call Of Duty. They tried to make it more for the big crowd of players at the cost of the Hitmans soul. Its still a Hitman, but not like you remember him.
  48. Jul 24, 2013
    Blood Money is the best Hitman game to date, no doubt about it. The thing people fail to realize is that Absolution isn't entirely a Hitman game. The story is not about 47 being a hitman, it's about Agent 47 as a human being, fending for himself and being the hunted instead of the hunter. I think a lot of the design choices reflect this, and it only enhances the realism and immersion. Sure, some of the levels are linear and others are ridiculously short, but there are some pretty sweet set-pieces in this game that are both original and creative, albeit repetitive and less-enjoyable, gameplay wise, when compared to Blood Money's levels. Even if the gameplay falls short in places diehard Hitman fans would consider crucial to the series, the level of immersion and storytelling is leagues above any previous Hitman game. NPCs feel alive, environments have ridiculous amounts of detail and the game is rocking a sweet sound-track to boot. Of course, the absolute best aspect of this game is the voice acting. This game should win awards for its voice acting, it's THAT good. Almost every character in each level has something to say as you walk by them. You'll want to stop and hear what they say, too, because they usually have some interesting things to say, like how there's a toxic barrel of waste on the balcony, or that they get a serious allergic reaction when they eat peanuts. You know, just gossip. Expand
  49. Jul 23, 2013
    Great game. I've played Bloodmoney(great game too!) but Absolution it's definetly better. A few minor let-downs that are more perceptible for the old fans.Excellent graphics and gameplay mechanics, good variety ways to do the missions and the score system makes you wanna replay missions just to get a silent assassin score. If you like to play in a true stealthy way that punishes sloth (loosing points) this is the game for you.
    The Bad:
    - Disguise system is better but still has lot to improve
    - 47 still a litte bit robotic
    - Concealing big weapons is a step back from Bloodmoney like sentosasam wrote.
    - New qicksave system discourages experimentation and respawn all enemies.
    Still a great game for the stealth genre fans.
  50. Jul 23, 2013
    after 6 ans a half years the original Assassin comes back and he comes back with a really good game ,
    first the positive things i found in this game
    1- this game has amazing cinematic presentation one of the best ever
    2- amazing gameplay it keeps the previous game play of the previous parts of the series and adds a few things that makes it even better like the cover system i found
    that really helpful
    the game is flexible as you can advance with stealth game play or action depends on your choice
    3- on the previous parts of the series you had to discover alternative ways to kill the target it is present in this game actually it is even better in this game but you have the instinct which guides you towards it whi i find really helpfull
    4- the story is really really good with well written dialogue and many twists as you advance
    5- this game is visually stunning it has great graphics
    so what was bad in this game
    the checkpoint in this game is really bad because it the checkpoints are present in really bad places that you can easily not notice at all
    some are complaining that they don't like the instinct and so you can easily disable it and enjoy
    and some complain that it borrows from splinter cell conviction well this isn't an action game it is a stealth game and if you don't like that feature in the game don't use or try to play the game on higher difficulty
    in the end a really great game and a great addition to the amazing series
  51. Jul 23, 2013
    The story was surprisingly delicate. There was actually some personal motivation of the hitman to assassinate most of the targets. But at some point things became a bit predictable...
    However, it was great fun having so many creative options as how to kill the targets. Some of these ways were really funny and it was very satisfactory if a cunning, twisted plan worked out with wonderful
    deadly results!!
    As a player you will get to feel the console port in the controls and this combined with the system requirements made things a bit frustrating to navigate at times.
    This game can be played several times for sure as there's so many options when it comes to completing one's mission. The story was surprisingly cinematic and I liked the characters quite a bit.
    Overall a solid entry.
  52. Jul 22, 2013
    Just a horrible Hitman game and a horrible stealth action.
    This is what happens when out of the game about making killer "modern" console stealth action game.
  53. Jul 21, 2013
    Very sophisticated and beautiful game.
    But it is not of enough amusing.In-game ranking,records and score system ruin a good game.
    Someone may say that ”high difficulty distinguishes bad gamers".I guess that everyone who is earnest "plays" this game firstly will experiance a process of "endless" restarting or reloading.
    Ironically 47's favourate guns:Silver Ballers are just seldomly used
    in the game.
    Wish that the designers improve the gameplay of the series.
  54. Jul 16, 2013
    WTF? Hitman finally got REALLY GOOD and now it's completely regressed to all the problems I had with earlier hitman games. Seriously, you can't even select a weapon without automatically pulling it out again!? And the stealth mechanics are f*cking annoying. The game looks pretty good but they fell WAY short of what I was expecting. I would be extremely mad if i hadn't waited for the price to go down to a small fraction of what they were originally asking. I can't remember if it was blood money or contracts that came out last and that I thought, "this is near perfection, i can't wait for more hitman!" but when i finally had a chance to play absolution...it just made me sad. what the fu(K where they thinking? Expand
  55. Jul 15, 2013
    Coming from the older games in the franchise, up until Blood Money the Hitman games have been riddled with a vast range of options to execute targets and assignments. The most notable thing in Hitman: Absolution is that this non-linearity has been pretty much removed. With the combinations of small, chopped up levels that 'follow up' on each other, there is too much room for error, the game has become too simple, too linear and is entirely not suited for a second playthrough, not even on another difficulty. The first story playthrough is enjoyable and at times classic Hitman stuff we love to see, but that is where this game abruptly ends. It has no replay value because of the simplicity of its level design and the lack of original Silent Assassin hits (they exist, but are sometimes nothing more than flipping a single switch or making a headshot with the TRG).

Graphics 9/10 (Stunning, DX11 at its best)
    Audio 8/10 (The game is made very immersive with its voice-overs during play)
    Mechanics Gameplay 5/10 (The game lacks depth, but improves slightly on animation smoothness)
  56. Jul 14, 2013
    Well it's not the best maybe but definitely not the worst at all... Do not understand the crowd tried to crucify this game. It maybe lacks some of the depth gameplay-wise or such but just flows nice and smooth.

Well the only thing that bothered me was the achievement system, which is built like a regular arcade game that makes you play just hit the top score with "already given!"
    assassination styles as you see in the very names of the achievements. That blew whole magic out of it...

But other than that, game is just fine. If you've already played all of them, play this one too, not that bad at all...
  57. Jul 5, 2013
    Absolution could've been a good game, but it's a wasted potential in so many ways. The main premise the Hitman is on the run, he's got no backup from the Agency, and it gets personal is pretty cool by itself, BUT the realisation is very, very poor. Firstly, the story barely making sense, with dialogues evidently written by a fifth grader, and plain stupid, boring grotesque, cliche characters. The gameplay also varies from the previous iterations, In theory, it's a game about Hitman relying solely on his skills and instincts. Hence the lack of map and any pre-mission briefing in theory, you have to improvise. On practice though, it's not the case. The game doesn't encourage any kind of improvisation any non-silent actions, including killing common henchmen are punished by lowering your score. So you will still find yourself wandering around your target, making some kind of a plan, as in the previous games. Only this time you won't be able to save at will for some reason, which is freaking annoying. As for the disguise system (you can be recognised only by NPCs wearing the same disguise as you do) it's kinda-realistic alright, but on practice it's also pretty damn frustrating, there's hardly need for such realism in a game where you can change clothes in under 5 seconds and store sniper rifles in your jacket. To sum up, Absolution tries hard to be a good game, to present itself seriously, but ultimately fails and becomes a step (a few steps, actually) back comparing to its predecessors. Expand
  58. Jul 5, 2013
    Pretty Fun Pretty Fun Pretty Fun Pretty Fun Pretty Fun Pretty Fun Pretty Fun Pretty Fun Pretty Fun Pretty Fun Pretty Fun Pretty Fun Pretty Fun Pretty Fun
  59. Jun 10, 2013
    I wanted to enjoy this game and the effort they put into the story and the cinematics but I think anyone can agree if you played blood money and past hitman games, this one would just make you mad. While the disguise system is more 'realistic' it just takes away all the fun. More realistic isn't always better. And although it tries to be more realistic it still fails, for example you are in a chef disguise at the chinese parade, i kept getting spotted by chefs, its not like all the freakin chefs know each other at a giant parade. I mean maybe all the staff knows each other at a strip club, but at the parade? So if the game developers are gonna be 'realistic' at least be thorough. Also some of the level designs are terrible, terminal hotel design was terrible. As all the fans will agree, they took everything good about hitman, and turned it into crap. Also you can't pick your weapons, you're constantly getting points deducted unless you play flawlessly, man the list just goes on. Expand
  60. Jun 3, 2013
    As a long-time Hitman fan I was really looking forward to Hitman: Absolution. It has been one of the BIGGEST disappointments in my life as a gamer. Actually, right now, I cannot think of a bigger disappointment. The last Splinter Cell was bad as hell, but I knew that for a fact before and am not a big Splinter Cell fan, so it didn't touch me as bad.
    Everything that was achieved
    gameplay-wise with Blood Money has literally been kicked in the balls so hard it couldn't move and was then left to die in the desert.

The biggest problems are the linear levels, the USELESS disguises, a checkpoint system with no manual save option and the absence of a map but instead the introduction of "Instinct", some lame supernatural power that 47 suddenly possesses that makes him see through walls and also into the future as he predicts enemies' paths. Gone are the times where you had to stand by, take your time and learn about your enemy. You simply hold down [CTRL] now.
    Linearity is the biggest level-design problem that literally kills the entire game. The first level after the tutorial was actually pretty OK for a first level, although a little small and still nothing compared to the awesomeness of the vineyard level in Blood Money but still, it was OK and I was having hopes that all the bad things I heard before about the game being "casualized" were a bit too much. But beginning with the second level, the game is a downhill roller-coaster.
    I have not finished the game. I couldn't bear it. The levels got too worse. I started with the 2nd highest difficulty because a few months back I read somewhere that the devs claimed to have added those features for "newcomers" to the Hitman franchise, and that hardcore Hitman players could deactivate those, similar to Deus Ex 3 (actually a f*in awesome game), where it actually worked. But with that choice, I killed all fun. You have to LEARN the specific mechanics of this game, that have nothing to do with any Hitman game before it. The problem on a higher "difficulty" is that interactive spots will not be highlighted with "instinct"-vision and still, there is no f*in map that could show those spots (I mean stuff like specific items or interactive objects in the world that would help you get to your objective, marked with an exclamation mark on the map before). At first I couldn't get through some sort of stupid library level, dumbed down the difficulty level so I could see the spots by activating "instinct" and after that, the level got beatable. Still, everything about this was against any logic in any Hitman game ever.
    Another level highlight includes being chased by a helicopter that shoots at you (remember 47 doing stuff like that?). In one specific scene, you have to crouch (pressing C or [CTRL] once), then lean against boxes (pressing another button once) and then LITERALLY just keep pressing A and E A to move to the left side of the screen and E to keep scampering from box to box. All the while, the helicopter keeps shooting through windows and destroys all the boxes. You can feel how this scene was supposed to be thrilling and intense, but the helicopter didn't even hit 47 once. The ONLY point of this scene, gameplay-wise, is to hold down A and keep tapping E.
    A few levels down, I was so filled with disappointment and also rage about my destroyed memories about the adventures I had with 47, that I HAD to uninstall it.

This list of problems is in NO way complete, but I don't want to keep writing forever. Those are just the things I kept in mind.
    I actually registered on this page just to write this review, to somehow channel my anger and letdown. I give Hitman: Absolution a 2/10 for three reasons: the graphics were pretty goddamn good, it remembered me about all the fun I had with 47 in the past (by showing me the exact opposite) and it made sure I will play the GODLIKE Blood Money again soon.

On a side note: it is sad. It is sad how games are being casualized for the sake of "opening up to a bigger audience". We've seen it with so many franchises in the past years, one of the more memorable being the new Splinter Cell. I hope that enough other gamers will wake up to this and boycott this, when necessary.
  61. Jun 1, 2013
    After finishing the game, I can definitely say that a lot of love and forced innovation (contracts for online games) went into the production of this game. The levels were well-designed and despite some bugs, overall it was an enjoyable experience. But as a fan of Hitman Blood Money, I can say it does detract from the direction of its predecessor and fails on this regard. In previous installments, I would work hard to gather all the guns and use them on replays just for sheer fun. This no longer happens on single player as the unlocks can be only used in contracts mode. I don't like this. Bring back the customizable weapons for single player! I'd give it a 6 but it is still a good game so it gets a 7. Expand
  62. May 23, 2013
    Despite the linear levels and the flawed disguise system, this game fails to encompass the components that made previous Hitman games successful. My biggest complaint is the rating system whereby it is impossible to obtain silent assassin on the majority of the levels since it just involves getting to the next level. Even when a satisfactory rating is obtained, scores can be reset to zero for no reason or overwritten to a negative number on replay. There is no reward system for completing levels such as gaining money to upgrade weapons except for in multiplayer where it costs an unrealistic amount of money to upgrade anything ($700,000 for a silencer upgrade, PLEASE!). Replaying levels is unsatisfying because agent 47 is only able to carry one weapon. In closing, very disappointed and not a well thought out game. Expand
  63. May 21, 2013
    what a game! enjoyed every minute and was sad when it ended. compelling storyline, endless replayability, good graphics, challenging AI One of my favourite games ever
  64. May 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having played this series on PC since it first launched (I got the first game the week it came out),I feel this is the worst Hitman to date. It plays more like Splinter Cell than any of the games so far in the series. You cannot set your kit up for each job (not even on replay),nor do you have access to the weapons you pick up and keep (for the main game part not for the making contracts part) including when you change to the next part of the chapter and are in the same area. So somehow you lose all your weaponry other than the silverballers and a garrote by hopping over a fence,entering a door,climbing to a roof etc. The storyline is decent and the graphics are very nice,yet with the having to roll and hide like Solidnsnake from Metal Gear Solid games on playstation 1 in order to use the weapons you have, makes the game feel completely not like the rest. If you want to start with a silenced sniping rifle and eliminate sentries,you cannot. If you want to use the bomb set up you cannot unless these items are specifically on that level. You must toss bricks,bottles and other assundries in order to mislead them (and this somehow repeatedly does not make them increasingly more suspicious) or bludgeon them to death with these same objects all in order to get to your target to shoot them with a silenced pistol when in at least one mission you could have sniped them cleanly. This is a complete departure from what made Hitman as popular as it was.Lets face it, if 47 lost his safe houses and had collected weaponry from doing jobs after losing them, he would set up another one. It isnt rocket science. If I wanted to play Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid,I would play those games. Expand
  65. May 18, 2013
    this is a great stealth game!!!! the game is really good and fun. the story and voice acting in the game are amazing!!! the story is interesting and original. the gameplay is really good as well. animations are great. the game has one of the greatest stealth systems i have ever seen. the only issue with the stealth mechanics is the outfits. this is great idea, but it isnt perfect yet. if you change your clothes, every other enemy from that type nows you. i get the point of this, but sometimes it just doesnt make sense. all the cops in the same city dont now each other!!!. i really appreciate IO interactive for making the outfit system, but it does need some work, the graphics in the game are amazing. the game looks really impressive, and the lightning looks great as well. another good thing the game does is the crowd sections. blending into the crowd is done masterfully.
    the best thing about the game is the options it gives you. the game gives you endless ways to do your objective. from shooting your target, to electricuting him, there are a lot of ways to do assassinations. most of the games levels are big enough. on the other hand, some of the levels are too little. im not refering to special action sequences hich by the way are done great) but some stealth levels are just too little which is a bit dissapointing. dont take me wrong! most of the levels are really open, but some of them should have been bigger. the last complaint i have about the game is the save system, the save system is just bad. it should have been better or it should have given you the option to save manually.

overall the game is great!!!!! this is the best stealth game to date. its not perfect, but if you like stelth games you should definetly buy it!!!!!
    note: the game requires a lot of patience!!! if your not patiente you will hate the game!!
  66. May 13, 2013
    As I have been playing hitman after hitman since the first one, I can say this for sure, this game its nothing more than a generic stealth game, that most of the time your only goal its find a door, and when you finaly has the chance to perform a kill, its always a simple and not clever kill, its was lost the game essence, turning into a average game with a good story, hiding a boring game with a stupid mechanic of saves, and a lot of pointless goals. It's with a great sadness that I submit this review, from my favorite franchise, the first of the all five games, that I couldn't end, because after each level it was getting more and more boring. Expand
  67. May 12, 2013
    I did not play the older Hitman series, but decided to give this one a go when it was on sale. My very first impression was a very nicely rendered playable cut scene. The levels are very linear, and was hoping for a more sandbox style of game play. All the same, the levels are challenging, and allows for several ways to take targets out. The storyline is fun, predictable, and cheesy at times, but is still fun to watch it unfold. If this is on sale, give it a try too, you will have a good time. tldr: Great graphics, average and linear game play. Expand
  68. May 12, 2013
    For all complaints This game may not the best out-there, but is just amazing.
    We're not talking about graphics (they're pretty good), we're talking 'bout playability, and that my friends its a nice point.
    Ok play in lower levels of difficulty ...hitman sense, enemies paths, objects sub-lined, you can go on...
    WE must play on Purist!!! there's were lives and shines the real game.
    map, no sense, no nothing...only you and your brain. Extremely hard tough guys, no place to run, no time to disguise...think before u shoot. I've spent a lot of hours replaying and creating new ways to kill to get unnoticed.
    So go for it guys...this games rules.
  69. May 2, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game. I have not played any Hitman games before until this one so I am not sure what the others are like but this one was a lot of fun from my perspective. The graphics were good and the objectives were fun. I didn't follow the story too well but from what I gathered it was pretty good. No bugs or issues. The one criticism I have is that the "disguises" you wear almost never work. There were too many instances were I was wearing a disguise that the people saw that it was me and then a giant gun fight occured that either resulted in me dying or me getting a really low score. I might just suck at the disguises but it happened far too many times. So in general this was a good game I would reccommend it. Expand
  70. Apr 29, 2013
    The Hitman you knew is gone.
    Be prepared for an ordinary Cover-based stealth shooter that is very linear and with a silly story. They really cheated me this time, by putting the enticing label of Hitman on there, and giving me this uninspired, linear and braindead stealth-shooter, where you're basically not even doing hitman-work. The freedom of earlier games is completely gone, disguises
    are tacked on and dont work like they should, gameplay elements seem to work against eachother. Broken checkpoint-saves. You're mostly just going door to door instead of planning and executing awesome assassinations...

The most fun I had in this game was going crazy and just go on killing sprees, the stealth mechanics used are just so old and boring, clearing a mission through stealth and not killing anyone has never been this boring before... much of the time I didnt even have a target.... yawn.

+ Graphics, sound

I was thinking of putting all the annoying game changes and disappointing quirks in Absolution here BUT I'm short on time so I'll cut to the chase and just say WHY this game FAILS.

- It's masking behind the great HITMAN-label and dont deliver.
    - THAT and it seems they did'nt even try to make a hitman game. They put 47's face on Sam Fisher basically.

I'm deeply disappointed and I dont understand how they could do this to Hitman fans. We waited so long too.
    I'm giving it 3 because of the Sniper Challenge, atleast that was fun while it lasted.

Verdict Rip-off.
  71. Apr 15, 2013
    I liked Hitman Blood Money so much i bought it twice, once on Playstation 2, then again on Xbox 360, still play it today. I bought Hitman Absolution on day of release and traded it in already it was that bad. All they needed to do was take Hitman Blood Money and improve the AI. Instead they took all the fun of Hitman out. Last game i ever buy from IO.
  72. Apr 15, 2013
    I'm still playing Hitman Blood Money 7yrs on, every level is such a joy to replay through again and again. Unfortunately the same can't be said about Hitman Absolution. It's not like a Hitman game and the levels are very linear story driven trash that aren't even worth a second play through. AVOID this game, rent it or buy it second hand, don't waste your money. Hitman Blood Money is a masterpiece, Absolution is a total disaster that has killed a once great franchise. Expand
  73. Apr 15, 2013
    A poor addition to the Hitman franchise. Hitman was a series that didn't need changing, it was as if IO Interactive have never heard of the old saying "If it's not broke don't fix it" Everything that made Hitman so great and unique has been removed and replaced with material copied from other gaming franchises. As a result Hitman Absolution is very similar to Splintercell Conviction rather than a Hitman game. The big open sandbox levels have been replaced with heavily scripted linear levels so it can tell a story. Previous Hitmans were all about gameplay, Absolution is more about a story. The story was like it was written by Steve Stiffler from the American Pie films, very childish sick gross out trying to be edgy but fails. In my opinion games should always be about gameplay, if i want a story i'll watch a DVD or go to the cinema. The less i say about the broken AI the better. Expand
  74. Apr 15, 2013
    Simply the worst Hitman in the series, it's not even really a Hitman game. All the fun of Hitman, the big open sandbox levels that encourage exploration are gone, weapon select at the start of each level is gone, the cool music from Jesper Kyd is gone. Hitman games were always game play over story, Absolution is story over game play (it's not even a good story). Most of it encourages sneaking about without being seen trying to make it from one door to the next, it's just no fun and nothing like a Hitman game. Expand
  75. Apr 8, 2013
    Mediocre. To sum it up short, it has a terrible story with no consistency, one-dimensional characters, flimsy level design, and linear set pieces. It removes the core of Hitman, that is planning to perfection on how to kill your targets. It's gone in this game, save a few levels.

However, the game has great game mechanics. Had these been implemented into bigger maps and a less
    pretentious storyline, it would have worked. Other than the Instinct feature, the game benefited from it's great controls.

It isn't without it's faults though. The disguise system is horrendously imbalanced and doesn't help you at all. Considering it's a core feature of the Hitman series, this hits hard.

Though the game has it's moments. Levels like, King of Chinatown, Terminus Hotel, Hunter and Hunted, Streets of Hope, and Blackwater Park are brilliant, and are some of the best in the series. Although, the other levels are completely unplayable, since the player will have no ambition to grudge through them and their linear design void of player choice.

If you see this game on a Steam Sale, I'd say you should buy it to see just what it's about. That doesn't change the fact that it's a huge disappointment in the series after Blood Money.
    You're better off purchasing the HD Collection if you're a console player.

This game had huge potential IO. Fix it with the next game.
  76. Apr 6, 2013
    i think, against all opinions, the history is the worst of the hitman series. Isn´t wise let a killer who want´s kill you, alive. But, this happens in the game, again and again.
    About the customization, the game is fun.
  77. Apr 4, 2013
    This game was fun and full of action, but it did have some problems. The worst part of this game is probably the lack of manual saving. I've had this game crash THREE times in under 30 minutes, but nothing else after that. The disguise system works, but was sometimes annoying because people would notice you anyway, but it can be saved by using the Instinct key. The points system was also very tedious, as I always wanted to do the best I could, but I'd have to start over if I made a mistake. However, it doesn't ruin this entire game full of explosions, gun kills, silent kills and more. Expand
  78. Apr 3, 2013
    It would be good game, if it have:
    - open world
    - saves
    - weapon selection
    - saves
    - map
    - SAVES!

What's wrong with developers, which want to ruin silent killing game and make some one-error-replay-full-mission-game with QTE which you could not break?! Sorry, this game is not worth the money at all (even with 60% discount which i find).
  79. Mar 31, 2013
    For anyone looking for creative, free, imaginative game play... steer clear of this one. All the planning and decision making that made the previous titles so immersive and stimulating are removed. There is no weapon load out choice, disguises no longer have any purpose and the levels are completely linear where the developer has chosen the course of action you must take as if you were on the rails of a very slow moving roller coaster with no ups or downs. Very disappointed as this was a real step back. We really are living in a "dumbed down" period of gaming. Like Dishonored, you are encouraged not to kill people, even though you inevitably have to... you are an assassin after all. Both those titles push you in directions to get punished for being where they push you. Some people seem to like that paradoxical nonsense, but that goes beyond hitting your head against a brick wall when you're allergic to bricks yet are the only thing you can feed on Yeah... I don't get it either. The negative reviews really do represent the game... the positive reviews are for those who enjoy a really shallow, totally directed lacking in content experience. Expand
  80. Mar 29, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun, great graphics, the game-play and story could use a bit more work they could have made the game a bit longer as well. But other than that this game is really fun and it is worth the money.
  81. Mar 29, 2013
    This is NOT a Hitman game. They have butchered the disguise system so badly that I can't even stand to play the game. The classic Hitman strategy of disguising as a guard to enter the guard territory is ruined. This game has been severely dumbed down and ruined. The only great thing about it is the combat and the game engine over all. The fact that the game engine is so solid just makes me wish this game had lived up to any of its potential. Expand
  82. Mar 28, 2013
    The graphics are awesome, the game is very ruthless, but you can manage to go through a mission without actually doing it 'the right way'. Lots of options on how to kill your targets if you are patient and spend time exploring the maps. I like the story aswell. I didn't play any of the other games though, so I have nothing to compare it to, other than the fact it is a better stealth game to me, than most. It held me entertained through the campaign the whole way and I wanted to know more of the story as it went along. I liked the gunplay and the options that I had for killing my targets.

It isn't exactly perfect, but it was a great experience, 8/10
  83. Mar 28, 2013
    Agent 47 is back, and now he’s out for revenge. Hitman: Absolution focuses on the infamous unknown killer himself as he travels through an emotional story of regret, anger, turmoil and despair. The storyline of Hitman: Absolution revolves around the assassin and his plight to save Victoria from living the same harrowing life as 47. Being created within a laboratory, Victoria was engineered for one purpose, to become the next level of high grade assassin out for hire. Follow 47 as you stealth your way through shadowy side streets and abandoned hotels seeking revenge upon those who would force such a gruelling lifestyle upon another living being. Hitman: Absolution is for audiences of 18+. Hitman: Absolution is a game in which you can kick your feet up and enjoy, allowing yourself to soak in the storyline and have huge amounts of intense fun with, the number of possible takedown manoeuvres are truly fantastic, whether you’re making your assassination look like an accident, going for the critical headshot with a sniper rifle, or closing in for the kill with 47’s signature silent assassin fibre wire, you will never be stuck for possibilities or new and fresh ideas of how to advance onto your target. Hitman: Absolution is a game for the critical thinker, promoting further brain functionality into strategic thinking, problem solving, as well as time and risk management, requiring the player to think before acting. Players will have to deal with the consequences of their actions, whether that’s killing extra targets or escaping and trying again, the smarter gamers will find that they are just as at home within this environment as they would be within any other strategy based game. The many different levels of the game each have their own theme and background, making for a large library of interesting possibilities and hugely detailed level design, boasting incredible graphics allowing the characters to look incredible, as does the level design, weapon sprites and the locations. The characters each have their own distinct personality and capabilities allowing you to really believe in their existence. As well as a highly in depth and griping storyline, you also have a creation feature, in which you can walk the streets and assassinate your own targets however you see fit, whether you want to blow a hole in Chinatown and your targets along with it, or you want no-one to know you were even there, you decide how to proceed in your assassination attempts. After designating your own targets you can upload the assassination contract to allow your friends and enemies to compete, allowing you to see who’ll be the next best assassin in the online leader boards. Will you step up and accept the contract? I give this game 8/10, the graphics are amazing everything within each level is absolutely beautiful. The level design allows for a huge number of possibilities, the storyline is a perfect ending to a well known and hugely loved series, and the game play and controls fit the game extremely well. The only problem I have with this game is the fact that the replay-ability of the game is lacking but the overall experience of the initial play through easily makes up for this minor pitfall. Expand
  84. Mar 25, 2013
    A disappointment. The mission layout is changed just to meet the plot. A sandbox system which allows player to observe the environment and NPC interaction for planning, is completely removed. Each mission is just a linear and rather small environment, and in most cases you are forced to make use of stealth and cover, as most NPCs are now armed enemies, which will fire at you upon contact, and your main mission goal is infiltration to some secured place to kill someone. The fun way of using costume and accidents, like those in Blood Money, is completely gone. The costume system is changed to be "realistic", but end up just wasting the costume system, as it is just an annoyance and in fact unrealistic. When you wear the same clothes as some NPCs, they will all suspect you when close by, WTH? All NPCs have a skeptical mind? When they have different clothes with you, they will never suspect you, unless you enter a restricted area. In order to avoid being suspected, you have to use instinct. However, instinct do not recover over time, you need to find some items, or kill someone to recharge it. As a professional assassin like agent 47, why player is forced to kill someone other than target? what a shame? The system is just made forcing player in a dilemma. The game is just made such that the replay value is lower due to limited choices and linear move, and boring scenario. Expand
  85. Mar 19, 2013
    Having played all the previous titles, I thought I knew what to expect. Fortunately, that went out the window with the first "woah" moment. And you'll find in Absolution plenty of them. The story is very well made and it feels like you're watching a good action movie. One of the most impressive features of Hitman Absolution is the voice acting. You don't see the same quality in most other games; really well done. Graphically, it ranks high when compared with games launched around its release time. Every frame of any cutscene can be transformed into a beautiful art piece to hang on your walls. The cutscenes connect the gameplay seamlessly. Gameplay-wise, it's a good improvement from its predecessors as 47 feels more natural than ever. The cover system is really well made even though sometimes your head is way above the counter you're hiding behind. Intuition, as a gameplay mechanic, is great. It will convince even the most brutal player not to kill every NPC and it also serves as a "tutorial" for new players or for those who want to get their hands on the highest difficulties. If you finished any other Hitman game, be sure to try the tougher challenges too. The multiplayer part of it consists in creating and completing contracts made by your friends. Not only will it challenge your friends but creating a good contract will also challenge you to complete it first, to prove that it can be done. If playing on PC, I highly recommend using a controller when playing Absolution. Not that keyboard & mouse aren't great, but you'll get the most out of its cinematic experience. In conclusion, a great game, polished and not a full 10 because of a couple bugs. Expand
  86. Mar 19, 2013
    Contracts and Blood Money blew my mind so many years ago. So naturally I was looking forward to this game for a long time. Hitman become one of my most loved franchises. I went back and played the first 2 games about a year ago and while the graphics were limited the classic Hitman gameplay was as great as ever.... Then came along Absolution. I played through the entire game searching for a Hitman game. I found the story interesting and could appreciate how they tried to bring a different story to the Hitman series and for the most part it worked. As a 1 hour long movie its worth watching on Youtube. But as a game? What I got was a brutal kick to the face. Disguises don't work, It's impossible to progress without the stupid instincts mode, most of the time you are hiding in cover (since when did Hitman hide in cover?), plus many more gameplay problems. I will sum it up to say that this is the BIGGEST disappointment in my 25 years as a gamer!..... If they are going to bring back Hitman again, firstly Jesper Kyd needs to score it and secondly the design team need to play all the previous Hitman games start to finish multiple times. I fear without those 2 points. Hitman will never recover! Expand
  87. Mar 19, 2013
    best game ever.hitman absolution isnt good becuase of its story (not that the story not good) its good becuase of the assassination.every kill is very setisfieng and there are a lot of ways to kill your enemies.contracts mode is very good but a littile hard.never mind.so anyway hitman absolurion deserve a 10/10.so buy it.
  88. Mar 17, 2013
    I've never played the other Hitman games, but I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I really didn't expect to, as I figured the entire franchise was slow and clunky, but this was fun and engaging.
  89. Xon
    Mar 17, 2013
    Hit and Miss Man. This was my first Hitman game. Positives -The graphics are amazing, with lots of config options. I turned bloom off, the flowers were blindingly bright! -The NPC are mostly detailed and unique. -Important characters are edgy and quirky -Multiple playthroughs possible. Negatives - The game can be frustrating. I played it on the easiest setting because I just couldn't be bothered with the trial and error that underlies gameplay.
    -Often stuff happens to your character during cut-scenes that "develops" thee story but which feels like a setback.
    -The campaign is quite short.

I got it on special on Steam. I got more than my money's worth. Solid game if you can avoid the frustrations.
  90. Mar 9, 2013
    I'm sure everything I hate about this game has already been mentioned, and nobody will read this anyway, but let me reiterate it yet again. EVERYTHING that was good about Blood Money has been removed (i.e. customizable gear, sandbox style gameplay, funny kill animations... just to name a few). And apparently rolling from behind one couch to another and crawling through air ducts is more realistic than a disguise actually working? Or is it more fun? The answer to those questions is NO, at least for me. I stopped playing when at some point I was wearing some chipmunk suit that covered 47's face, and was still being recognized from across the map. I play without disguises and you end up listening one long, boring NPC conversation after another. I just needed to make sure I add another 0 score for this game, which is why I signed up for this site. It bothered me that people are rating this game positively. I pre-ordered the game because I was in denial that the developers could screw up the franchise too bad after Blood Money, and I wanted to support the developers. Oops! Won't make that mistake again. In fact, anybody involved in this atrocity deserves to be blacklisted from game design, and a job in general, and their kids should starve to death. If I can stop just one person from buying this piece of crap, then I've done something good with my life. Expand
  91. Mar 5, 2013
    Dont get me wrong this game is not a game 10/10 its a 8/10 but there are reviews of user that gave 0/10 that is just stupid Comn dudes this game is good
  92. Mar 5, 2013
    Tedious, Repetitious, monotonous, linear, Non-realistic with a very bogus absurd story...
    you weapons just vanish once you start a new mission, Combat and engaging is relatively easier then stealth playing.. the disguise system is useless, and nonsensical, why can't you keep hiding your head if you have no instinct left? Does agent 47 need some sort of a super-power energy to lift his
    hand? And naming that "thing" as instinct is clearly ridiculous, it's more of an ESP! And the ranking system is fu*ked, i usually get "Professional" in a perfectly stealthy playing, Yet i did get "Shadow" more then once when i killed all enemies and surely engaged in an open combat during the process.. And agent 47 character does help a lot in making the game much more boring, he always has the same expression, lacks charisma, and the creators are clearly trying so hard to make him look like a fearless badass, but all that came was a vague emotionless dull robot.. I don't recommend buying the game, and if you did i recommend you through it through the window and RUN RUN RUN! cuz agent 47 executes everybody, even the redundant useless least-important villains in the game just to make the game longer. Expand
  93. Feb 24, 2013
    I enjoyed playing this game. Hitman Absolution is a stealth game. Lots of sneaking around and different ways of killing your target. There are parts in this game that can frustrate, like there being few checkpoints in a mission. I died a lot and would sometimes have to repeat certain sections over and over again.
    Even though I was frustrated at times, I enjoyed the story and wanted to
    see it through to the end.
    The graphics were excellent, really nicely done.
  94. Feb 22, 2013
    Sneak your way to the next door, which will start a cutscene. Repeat.
    This is not a proper Hitman game, and pales in comparison to Blood Money earlier in the series.
  95. Feb 18, 2013
    Being an avid Hitman fan, having played all the games through at least 3 times each, I can say that my initial fears of this game becoming yet another cinematic shooter and losing its unique identity amongst the vastness of mediocrity has been proven wrong. This game is drastically different from other Hitman games. Where Blood Money was more conservative in its advancements from the previous three games, Absolution is a much more radical jump from Blood Money. There are many things different. The game engine is much more modern than the dated Glacier, because it not only features DirectX11 with gorgeously lighting, but enables the developers to craft more detailed cutscenes, environmental manipulation and superb crowd simulation. Facial detail is no longer bland, but very realistic. The same goes for virtually all aspects of the game. You see, in previous games the vital factor in determining your performance was your understanding of the game's mechanics. The levels seemed to have distinct approaches and pathways which were set in stone, unless you could successfully manipulate the AI's field of view. In Absolution, IO have continued the emphasis on environmental interactions as they did in Blood Money, but to a much greater depth. They've tried to make it so that if you've never played a Hitman game, you can rely on your instinct of what you'd actually do if you were in the level in real life. Almost every aspect of the game is very realistic and your approach isn't subject to your knowledge of the game's limits. Sure, it's no longer as technical as Hitman 2 or as steep of a learning curve like in Codename 47, but I think in the current generation and context of gaming, Square Enix have been wise with their decision on the direction of this franchise. There are 20 levels (which is more than usual) but now that there is an actual story holding it all together (and not some lazy flashback storytelling like in Contracts or Blood Money), you actually get a game which flows like Hitman 2 rather than a random culmination of levels. But don't be expecting anything good; the story is just to glue together the levels rather than the main focus of the game (it's a BAD story). Gameplay is very modern, hwoever. That means there's friend leaderboards for each part level (checkpoint), an unlock system (rewards for certain actions, challenges etc.) and achievements. Everything you do in the level is assessed. The way it's done does give you a lot of scope for approach and replay value to improve your score, but requires a robust scoring system and solid game mechanics. There are a few major issues with the game though. The first is the disguise system. Whoever thought getting spotted immediately and losing points for it when you walk anywhere near someone with same costume clearly didn't understand the idea of a disguise. Sure it's realistic, but now you'll find yourself trying to do levels suit-only much more often. The second problem is how the scoring system penalises you for trespassing even if the boundaries were not immediately obvious; forcing you to restart checkpoint. My final complaint is the poor effort in the level design department. There might be 20 levels but my god they're long. And it's not the suspenseful kind of long, since there's none of Jesper Kyd's beautiful work to keep you happy while waiting. You spend most of the game sneaking from one spot to another, and the occasional parts where there is some actual target involved it's very lazily done. Often bits of level design are copied from previous Hitman games, but dumbed down to be almost trivial. There's very little thought required to silent assassin a level, but I guess that's to appeal to brainless newbies who think this game is a shooter. Aside from that, the game is definitely a great step forward for the franchise which has really moved with the times. The instinct mode instead of a map, the cover system, the point shooting, the combat mechanics etc. are all good advancements. As for controls, there's no first-person view any more and there are a few too many buttons rather than scroll menu like in Blood Money, but at least in the PC version you don't have to hold down a button to do something everything has a unique button assigned to it. To sum up, Absolution is very different from previous games and it's quite clear that Square Enix's agenda was to heavily promote it as a stand-alone game rather than trying to please hardcore fans. However, Contracts mode is the place to go for competition as it allows you to create your own missions within each level. The essence of Hitman is still here, but much less about level design and more about a game which anyone can easily pick and play to their taste. Expand
  96. Feb 16, 2013
    First of all. They shouldn't of even called this a Hitman game. It doesn't come close to the amazingness that WAS Hitman. Don't expect to be killing targets, hiding in plain sight (Disguises are broken), manually saving so you can experiment with how you're gonna go about you're mission, and especially playing a good game. This game pretty much just throws away everything that made Hitman good. The story of this game is utterly boring and you don't even work for an agency which is dumb. Hitman Absolution is just a ripoff of other "Stealth-Action" games. Try one of the other good Hitman games not this stumble in the road. Expand
  97. Feb 16, 2013
    Impossible. Yeah, with some negative moments, but they mean little. Everyone who writes about those details that really do not matter idiots
    Brilliant!
  98. Feb 15, 2013
    Don't uninstall Hitman Blood Money because Absolution isn't even close! It is a decent action-stealth game with some good moments and is worth playing through but as a Hitman game I mostly can't stand it. It just feels like Agent 47 got assimilated into the barely indistinguishable pool of action-stealth games. Having played and loved the Hitman series since day 1 on its original PC platform, many of the gameplay systems and input styles in Absolution have the stink of console development all over them. The usage of quick-time events and button hitting just for the sake of it made me think "this is so annoying and stupid, why the hell is is this in a Hitman game?" at least every 30 minutes. The levels are broken up into small linear sections instead of big playgrounds; there is no big inventory full of items and weapons to work with; no customized weapon lovin' for the missions; no briefcase and sniper rifle; the disguise detection system feels like a contrived third-wheel; no regard for the magical concealment of long guns; there's plenty more but no need to pile on here. There are indeed improvements to some important systems such as movement, shooting, body concealment/disposal, distraction options, and throwing things. Sound, graphics, framerate, stability and controls are all very good. It's just that...as a Hitman game...Absolution is a huge disappointment after Blood Money which I still play 6 years and hundreds of hours later. They traded some of the deepest and most distinctive elements of being Agent 47 for console game pacing and lots of cutscenes to tell a crap story. If these tradeoffs turn out to be permanent for the series, then Agent 47 just jumped the shark. Still, even with all the Hitman-series-related disappointments, Absolution a good game on its own and you should play it and think for yourself. Expand
  99. Feb 12, 2013
    Don't be fooled by shiny graphics of Hitman: Abomination (or Assassin's Conviction: Saboteur Lynch Retardation), there is nothing good besides graphics. Gameplay is totally broken dumbed down, its not even hitman anymore, everything we loved it for was removed, only some barely working rudiments was left. It is yet another Conviction, but worse, everything you hated in Conviction, Saboteur, Assassin's Creed and Kane Lynch in terms of Stealth and gunplay is here, concentrated in extreme doses that may kill you. Also lensflare madness, started by Kane Lynch 2 and continued by Syndicate is here, head of 47 shines like supernova explosion to blind you from truth THIS GAME IS UTTER TRASH. It not just abandoned old Hitman gameplay, its simply broken everywhere and doesnt work, and its so primitive and generic. Let me list you few of many game design flaws: 1) Saves doesnt work, once you restart checkpoints every NPC object will be respawned, your stats would be reset to state of beginning of level, so you better to restart level completely and dont die or exit until you finish it. 2) Disguise doesnt work, its connected to stupid INSTINCT MANA that could be gained by killing and hiding bodies, or not gained at all on professional modes. Without using instinct, which magically removes suspicion, your cover will be blown in 5-10 second from 30 meters. So you are forced to use instinct in any mode, but cant on pro modes, and without instinct there you would not be even able to blend into area. It only barely working on easiest mode. 3) Pro modes and especially PURIST broken and rushed addition, game was not designed with these modes in mind, these modes not balanced at all, they simply locking features for retards, without even thinking that game designed that way so it cant be played without INSTINCT, and without thinking to compensate somehow lack of these features. It cant be played on PRO mode if you want to use disguise, blown covers makes game really frustrating, and pushing you to reastart, which will lead you to flaw 1 broken saves. On pro mode you will have only option to use covers Conviction style. 4) 80% of game is linear stealth cover shooter, only about 20% of levels reminds old Hitman games sandbox, but they all made using generic objects and repetitive pattern, lacking about 80% features you had in previous game, so its simply boring, primitive and most likely you will screw up trying to go Silent Assassin way. 5) AI is deaf and blind, totally dumb, glitching a lot. They dont see and dont hear anything except for you in disguise or killing. 6) You cant select inventory for levels and only limited to very few objects you can find on level. Most of unlocks and tools useless and can be only used in contracts mode. 7) Due of nature of stupid prerendered cut-scenes, where 47 appears only in his suit or any pre-defined suit, once cut-scene over you will loose your disguise and default suit will magically appear on you, same happens with guns, you enter the room dressed one way, but after cut scene you dressed another way. Really stupid, even cheapest games from 90th era never had such a flaw, Hitman 1 was better than this. 8) Scoring makes no sense, its not what it used to be in previous game. You are encouraged to do not stealthy things and some stealthy things not awarded at all, other non stealthy things not punished. 9) Level design is very bad, it may look good it terms of art, but its really bad in terms of gameplay logic. Every possible guard have always dumpster nearby to hide their bodies, how handy... for retards, very few, like 3-5 objects that allows you kill somehow are available per level, generic dumpsters, fuseboxes, pits, balconies, there is no unique content that we saw in Blood Money or previous Hitman games, every gameplay object is just a copy-pasted repetitive trash. 10) Whole instinct gameplay is retarded and must be removed from game, but instead it was not even removed from purist mode. 11) UI is huge, ugly and was designed by captain obvious, why in the world you need to have giant icon of equipped weapon or disguise if you can just look at hitman's and see his weapon and suit? 12) You cant peek through keyholes (surely, u now have magic wallhack cheat to replace that) 13) You cant even close doors, they only closed automatically 14) Worst thing most of your assassination targets are killed in FREAKING CUTSCENES, or not, actually most of time you will see cutscene where BEST KILLER IN THE WORLD, FAILING TO KILL HIS TARGET 15) Story may look like good one, but in fact its typical set of hollywood cliches and yet another plagiarism with nonsense ending. 16) Realism was lost completely, no briefcase, weapons spawns of Hitman ass, ammo picked up by legs. There are more issues, i cant compact them in 5000 chars limit. This game is near 5 of 10, but since it called Hitman, and since its not Himan at all, only 0 of 10.
    P.S.-MC was bribed to remove my review from top?
  100. Feb 11, 2013
    Some people complain about it being too much like splinter cell but I like splinter cell and it still have everything that I liked from the first Hitman games. The movement system is like a combination of "DeusEx human revolution" and the old "Tomb raider" games. There are many ways of completing a mission. The only bad thing is that it does not matter how easy bodies can be found when there is no place to dispose them. The close distance to the enemies combined with the high accuracy with the silenced gun gives a feeling of perfection when being able to get 5 headshots in one second. It was much better than "MaxPayne 3" because 47 is not so stupid. Expand
  101. Nov 20, 2012
    Don't bother buying this game! You won't be able to play it!
    People (including me) can't pass the intro screen.
    It's so buggy that I'm not even able to play the game.
    Not buying another game from Square Enix anytime soon!

Despite the deviations and minor shortcomings, it remains true to its roots. It just brushes them aside for a while, just long enough for it to tell its story- a story where the traditional contracts and other usual components just wouldn’t fit. [January 2013]
  2. Jan 8, 2013
    Hitman: Absolution does stand out from the ocean of gray and brown shooters that populate the market, but not in enough good ways to warrant a recommendation.
  3. Dec 26, 2012
    It's not a bad game by any means, and it does fix some problems with the controls that plagued previous games, but having the story that essentially makes Agent 47 less of a hitman and more of an espionage hero, makes Absolution a decent stealth game but not a fantastic Hitman game.