Homeworld 2 PC

8.3

1. Sep 10, 2011
    What an amazing game... and an extremely hard game. The tactics required are much different - it's much more about managing your build queues and pointing your fleet at the right group of enemies. I loved HW1, and (as can be expected any just about any sequel, realistically) this game lacked a bit of the "Wow factor" that my nostalgic memories recall, but it was nonetheless extremelyWhat an amazing game... and an extremely hard game. The tactics required are much different - it's much more about managing your build queues and pointing your fleet at the right group of enemies. I loved HW1, and (as can be expected any just about any sequel, realistically) this game lacked a bit of the "Wow factor" that my nostalgic memories recall, but it was nonetheless extremely enjoyable.

Just be prepared to play the levels over and over again. The difficulty is no joke, you are always overpowered. Just (utmost importance) manage your build queues and rally points properly, know what ships are good against other ships, and remember to use resource collectors to keep your Capital Ships alive (much more important that collecting resources, later on), and you'll get through it eventually.

A masterpiece just below the level of HW1 in terms of innovation, and well ahead of it as far as graphics. Challenging, but fun even despite it's balancing flaws. 8/10
  2. JamesA.
    Oct 1, 2003
    This game is freaking awesome!! i played HW:C and loved it, but this is a whole new thing! the graphics are godlike, and the interface is much better. I look forward to buying the game and getting some real multiplayer action.
  3. JoeR.
    Oct 10, 2003
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It was everything that I could have hoped from a homeworld game, besides a few little things. I didn't enjoy the fact that you were auto-matically hyperspaced out at the end of each mission. The auto-RU mining at the end was a great touch, but I much rather would have had the auto RU, but allow me then to survey the area to make sure that I do infact I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It was everything that I could have hoped from a homeworld game, besides a few little things. I didn't enjoy the fact that you were auto-matically hyperspaced out at the end of each mission. The auto-RU mining at the end was a great touch, but I much rather would have had the auto RU, but allow me then to survey the area to make sure that I do infact have everything, and begin production of my fleet. You'll find that at the end of just about every battle, save the first few that you'll need to almost totally rebuild your fleet. Plus, you'll find that attackers will appear out of nowhere. Beyond that the graphics over-haul was great. The detail of all the ships and the environments is incredible. The missions are well thought out and the story line is excellent. The new GUI was very intuitive, and allows you to see the battle taking place while showing your que's. Excellent game, and if you are a fan of space combat, it's the best game on the market for space battles. Expand
  4. GlenC.
    Dec 4, 2003
    Brilliant Game! The graphics really are outstanding! On a min spec system they still look great, but they really shine when you have a giant battle with all the lighting options turned on. Oh my god, it's like watching a sequence on a TV scifi show! The music is great too, it totally fits well. The game is so much better than the first. I liked the first, but I loved this one! I wish Brilliant Game! The graphics really are outstanding! On a min spec system they still look great, but they really shine when you have a giant battle with all the lighting options turned on. Oh my god, it's like watching a sequence on a TV scifi show! The music is great too, it totally fits well. The game is so much better than the first. I liked the first, but I loved this one! I wish more sequels could be this much better than the original! The only down side I found is the fourth mission was a bit tricky, its kind of like they put one of the last missions in at the start! But its not as hard as the first HW game. It is now Dec and Homeworld2 gets my vote for Game of the Year 2003! Expand
  5. TunaF.
    Sep 16, 2003
    Ya baby ya!
    Sep 21, 2003
    Worth the 70 bucks!
  7. Deeznutz
    Apr 19, 2004
    This is an unbelievable upgrade to the engine of the first game. With even better plot and action, the game lets you deal with more engaging parts of controlling, aside from harvesting.
  8. StephenD.
    Aug 24, 2005
    Excellent sequel. The graphics are unbelievable and are much more advanced then any other RTS space based game. Excellent game for good space-time battles of the fleets.
  9. MichaelM.
    Apr 29, 2007
    First about all the whine about the interface: Get over it! Adapt and adjust. One should think humans didn't have these abilities, the way you rant on about the interface. It works fine and is the most logical interface of the three games. Gees.. About the game: As with the others sound and grafics are just awsome. As simple as that. The gameplay is the same, although the formation First about all the whine about the interface: Get over it! Adapt and adjust. One should think humans didn't have these abilities, the way you rant on about the interface. It works fine and is the most logical interface of the three games. Gees.. About the game: As with the others sound and grafics are just awsome. As simple as that. The gameplay is the same, although the formation bit is just useless, compared to Homeworld. Swarm combat is what winnes the battles for you and it gets a bit repetitive, but still leaves you with a good feeling of power. The storyline isn't as deep and compelling as in Homeworld, but it still is fare better then 95% of all other games made today. It just goes to show just how brilliant Homeworld is. The story is wrapped up nice and clean and even leaves room for a Homeworld 2 sequal (Age of S'Jet). All in all it is well worth the time and it is a true Homeworld game. The Homeworld Trilogy is still the best Sci-fi story I have played. Expand
  10. StevenJ.
    Sep 16, 2003
    I wish they would port this game to mac.
  11. Chief
    Sep 27, 2003
    Awsome game. It is a little disapointing how much it is a carbon copy of the first two but hey it's homeworld. Hard as hell but it's all good, keeps you on your toes. And to all you people with the black screen problem, please make sure have your latest video drivers. That is what worked for me ;)
  12. Dylan
    Jan 14, 2004
    This game is beautiful. It has some cons, but it's pros outweigh those. The interface is much improved (aside from lack of formations), the graphics are amazing, and the addition of hazardous gas clouds (as well as being able to charge ordinary gas clouds with weapons) a great innovation to create obstacles and barriers in space. I miss the kamikaze attack, I miss full control of This game is beautiful. It has some cons, but it's pros outweigh those. The interface is much improved (aside from lack of formations), the graphics are amazing, and the addition of hazardous gas clouds (as well as being able to charge ordinary gas clouds with weapons) a great innovation to create obstacles and barriers in space. I miss the kamikaze attack, I miss full control of formations, as well as numerous other details from the previous Homeworld games, but the beauty of HW2's graphics and interface compensate for this. Yeah, single player is really hard, but I live for the multiplayer anyway. Vaygr ships launching volley after volley of devastating missiles is a sight to behold. Expand
  13. Apr 11, 2012
    Homeworld 2 is a great example of what space RTs gaming should be like. It has a deep, intelligent gameplay, great campaign, and amazing graphics that still shine to this day. I recommend that any RTS fans should get this game.
  14. Jan 30, 2011
    Looking back after playing various other space based online games Homeworld could have brought a little more to the table other than being a build and shoot type of game. The game could have introduced mini-missions within the actual mission itself in order to continue to the next level of the game. If you didn't complete the mini-mission's which could have been as easy as repairing anLooking back after playing various other space based online games Homeworld could have brought a little more to the table other than being a build and shoot type of game. The game could have introduced mini-missions within the actual mission itself in order to continue to the next level of the game. If you didn't complete the mini-mission's which could have been as easy as repairing an engine within a certain amount of time to a full fledged mission on a planet to set up forward bases or to collect resources.Adding better gaming attributes would allow the gamer or what could be called a Pilot or Navigator in the space based genre of video gaming to switch between the styles of play. One style would be the same as if you were playing Homeworld in the first person build and shoot category. But while you are waiting for the enemy to arrive in which you would gloriously destroy them something goes wrong on one of the ships. You race to the ship to find out that enemy saboteurs have take over a command and control ship with vital intelligence reports located in the computer system. Now you must clean out the attackers before they can either escape with the vital information or the ship is destroyed thus causing your over all mission success to deteriorate as well as possibly losing. As your ship approaches the disabled and captive CnC ship the game play goes from ship shooter to a first person shooter style setting. Now you have to set your teams weapons up to get them ready for the mission ahead. Seven routes to the main control deck housing the CNC ships main computer and the intel reports and five routes to the engines where the enemy is placing charges to blow the ship if they are caught now directs your skills as operating two to five teams of soldiers. The operation of each team would be a Ghost Recon style set-up where you program each solider to preform a certain function within the group. Once the mission has been completed you would reboard your ship and return to the Mothership continuing your build-up of ships and technology. Other aspects that could be incorporated into a new version of Homeworld would be that you could engage in missions to secure enemy technology that would benefit your fleet operations against them. During a recon attack several recon battleships of the enemy are destroyed leaving their hulks behind. One of the scout ships passes close by to them. The mission trigger is swtiched on and gives you the oppurtunity to search the destroyed ships for anything of value. Once again the player is taken from the build and shoot style back into the first person aspect of the game where they investigate the wrecks for technology or information that could increase the players side advantage over the other. But be careful taking too long might keep you locked into the first person shooter portion of the game as the enemy drops out of warp near your fleet. As you watch they methodically tear it too pieces before your eyes....if you had only.......you think to yourself as the oxygen slowly drains from your tanks, the rest of your crew slumped against the bulkhead...the enemy leaving hours before...you are the last of your kind...if you had only.....

I did enjoy Homeworld however and would very much so like a new version to be released into the mainframe of the gaming world.
  15. Sep 22, 2011
    You have to keep in mind, back in the old days I had only dabbled in a bit of C&C red alert and Starcraft as far as RTSs go. They weren't anything special, I was far more involved in FPSs. So then, being a Trekkie... I go and buy Star Trek Armada. Ultimately a fun game, one of the better Star Trek games ever made, but pretty much a disappointment if you expected it to be more thenYou have to keep in mind, back in the old days I had only dabbled in a bit of C&C red alert and Starcraft as far as RTSs go. They weren't anything special, I was far more involved in FPSs. So then, being a Trekkie... I go and buy Star Trek Armada. Ultimately a fun game, one of the better Star Trek games ever made, but pretty much a disappointment if you expected it to be more then Starcraft with starships. Then Homeworld 2 came out (I missed the boat on HW1), and what a revelation. Completely 3D environment, with no basebuilding, intelligent fleet formations and fighters all swarming around on their own. It was simply incredible. All from a completely new studio, out of the blue.

And the environments they created... were completely breathtaking. Every Relic game has had that unique Relic art direction that utilizes quality concept art to bring the game to life. It's completely unrealistic, but space never looked more beautiful then in HW2. FreeSpace games come close, but staring at some of the backgrounds as your battle-weary ships sail past... it's majestic, breathtaking, elegant, operatic, awe inspiring... like looking at a brilliant sunset in autumn. The grandeur of the cosmos was perfectly captured.

I dunno... it was the first, and still stands as the greatest 3D space RTS ever, as few of those as there are.
  16. Sultry
    Sep 25, 2003
    Wow. More than a video game.
  17. Marco
    Sep 17, 2003
    All the best elements of the original coupled with a logical progression of the art, interface, gameplay and story.
  18. AzamM.
    Jan 9, 2004
    The sequel to the pc game of the year has arrived! And what a sequel. the gameplay and graphics have been improved while the control system has been improved to almost perfection.
  19. ErikM
    Apr 14, 2009
    Never has there been a game worthy of the Title Real Time Strategy before. Its a revaamped version of Homeworld -- Stunning Graphics and a beautiful audio design. While the interface will prove to be unfamiliar to those who played homeworlds 1 and Cataclysm, the masters at Relic have streamlined it, and you'll soon realize that it's better. There has been nothing that made the Never has there been a game worthy of the Title Real Time Strategy before. Its a revaamped version of Homeworld -- Stunning Graphics and a beautiful audio design. While the interface will prove to be unfamiliar to those who played homeworlds 1 and Cataclysm, the masters at Relic have streamlined it, and you'll soon realize that it's better. There has been nothing that made the first ones strong that they didn't take out or change, and the changed just about everthing that made them weak. If the game was still 50 bucks, I would still say GET IT. Expand
  20. Dec 28, 2012
    Loved this game. The whole experience is great. Great visuals, sfx, soundtrack, campaign and the two races are different (which was a great improvement on the first). Only thing I didnt like was the limit to each class (Which was removed in a number of mods). Still having an active modding community and many,many players nearly 10 years after release really shows why this is one of theLoved this game. The whole experience is great. Great visuals, sfx, soundtrack, campaign and the two races are different (which was a great improvement on the first). Only thing I didnt like was the limit to each class (Which was removed in a number of mods). Still having an active modding community and many,many players nearly 10 years after release really shows why this is one of the best games ever made. Oh if only there was a Homeworld 3!! Expand
  21. Sep 12, 2013
    This is still a fabulous game! I've got a PC dedicated to this with an old Window XP HW HW2 that I wont touch "just in case..". Looking forward to the new "brushed up version" from Steam.
    MY money is ready to be spent! :D
  22. Aug 16, 2014
    Homeworld 2 is a very detailed RTS game. One of first things player learns is that you can't just throw ships at the enemy and expect success - instead, you have to manage the fleet, using right types of ships at the right time, and you have to correctly identify most important pieces in enemy's game and take them out, especially since you will typically be outnumbered and outgunned.Homeworld 2 is a very detailed RTS game. One of first things player learns is that you can't just throw ships at the enemy and expect success - instead, you have to manage the fleet, using right types of ships at the right time, and you have to correctly identify most important pieces in enemy's game and take them out, especially since you will typically be outnumbered and outgunned.

Story is engaging, while not as epic in scale as Homeworld 1's. Environments created for the game look nice, and all ships have logical, utilitarian design for their purpose. Hiigarans and Vaygr have very different gameplay styles, so you will have to learn to exploit enemy's weaknesses and compensate for your own.
  23. May 21, 2014
    I still play this game at least 3 times a week.

The vanilla HW2 I would give an 8 in comparison to the original Homeworld.

However, the incredible mod, Homeworld:Complex bumps my rating to a 10.

It's an incredible RTS and still the standard.

1. Game Informer
    The backgrounds are absolutely amazing, and you may find yourself studying your ships to admire their incredible detail. [Nov 2003, p.172]
  2. From its finely honed user interface to its nearly flawless campaign and PvP modes, Homeworld2 is a breath of fresh air when most games of its ilk are bogging themselves down with needless complexity.
  3. Cheat Code Central
    It can be a little slow going at times but that's because the focus is on real time strategy. The whole game is about conflict, but it goes about it in a more sophisticated way.