9.1

1. Mar 8, 2011
    I played it for the first time about five years after it was released, I didn't expect much as the price was pretty low. How was I surprised when the game turned to be so awesome. Great story and the climate, amazing music and art, as well as great graphic. First game to fully utilize full 3d combat and movement in space. And what combat it is! Sure, the controls can be confusing a bit at the beginning, but it's nothing a few minutes in tutorial can't fix. The story is simply amazing. Enthralling, one may say, and If you have a heart somewhere there inside your flesh, you will be moved by it. Maybe even to tears. All in all, amazing game. Expand
  2. Nov 5, 2010
    This is a space opera. The design is directly inspired by those sci-fi book cover you can find at second hand bookstore, the music is just beautiful and fit so well the atmosphere and the action of the game. For many players, the game looks too complicate as you are dealing with a 3 dimension tactical map, but if you hang on and master it (not that difficult, just need some practice), then the payback is huge. The other thing player find very difficult is that you start a mission with what you had in the previous one (or what you lack of). But there is nothing better to let you feel in total immersion, and catch a COS "completion obsession syndrome", where you will try to take over as much as enemy ship before getting to the next level (i finished the game with a hundred ion fregate (at 5fps, back on my p3 667). I played it again, this time on a 1080p projector... wow. Do yourself a favor, buy this game, wait the night to come, put your best headphone, launch the game all lights out, and listen to "ave maria". Expand
  3. Mar 31, 2012
    I can't praise this game highly enough. This game should get 20/20 it is probably my favourite game of all time. BRING ON HOMEWORLD 3. How can anyone give this game less than 10.
  4. Jul 16, 2013
    This game is awesome. My dad showed this game to me and told me to play it. I'll admit at first sight this thing looks so damn boring but when you really take your time and play this game, single player and multiplayer becomes a friggen Star Trek simulator, I love it!
  5. Mar 11, 2014
    Half RTS, half space aquarium, Homeworld is one of the few essential titles any strategy fan needs to have played. Even replaying this amazing game more than a decade later it is still unsurpassed as far as game play, graphics and sound is concerned. The single player campaign is on my list of essential sci fi literature along with Alien, Star Wars and Starcraft. And on top of the spectacular pacing of the story comes great visuals, tremendous sound and tough as nails tactics. At every turn you feel as if you really are way out in space, and some of the scenarios are breath taking and feel really lethal. The single best feature of the game for me is the fact that all your forces carry on between missions, giving you a chance to plan out your fleet from the start as well as a powerful urge not to lose any ships. Needless to say this is pretty hard to accomplish. On top of this resources are tight as a drum, and you`ll happily fly for ten minutes each way just to pick up a single grain of space dust if you have to.

If any negatives can be found they are negligible. However for people unaccustomed to RTS games Homeworld will be very tough to get to grips with beyond the first couple of levels. Even once the relatively tricky procedure of learning how to control your fleet in 3D is done with, the campaign is just unbelievably hard. It is hard in all the right ways though, and doesn`t cheat you. But still I can see it being a bit overwhelming for many people.
    Secondly, I have also identified a graphical bug which causes the occasional star to stick on the left edge of the view after it should have disappeared off screen. And finally in Homeworld there is a powerful compulsion to remain in each zone until every last resource has been gathered by your slow moving harvesters. This is because you need all of it, and it really does take the odd half hour for this to get done on some levels. And because people complained about it a high speed gathering function was added for the sequels. But this is an artifact of the gaming community in the classic PC era, which was composed of very patient people, quite unlike today. It was expected that games would reward patience as well as skill, planning, overview and tactical ability. Personally I loved it (And I detested the fast gathering in Cataclysm and Homeworld 2, possibly as the only person in the world.) since it gave me a welcome break between the hectic missions during which I could watch the backgrounds and listen to the relaxing music. Anyone who doesn`t need a breather after the intense missions in Homeworld should have their blood pressure and other vitals checked..
    If none of this turns you off then go get Homeworld with all appropriate haste! It is one of the most flawless games ever released for the PC
  6. Oct 28, 2011
    I played this game 3 times, that tells you everything you have to know. Absolutely loved this game. The story line was fantastic, tactical gameplay and upgrade systems where also top notch. Not really seen another game of its type since. Really wish someone would bring another game like this onto the market. This is a MUST PLAY GAME for sci fi tactical gamers.
  7. Apr 15, 2012
    this is one of the most definitive RTS games in gaming history. Wanna know why? keep reading.
    PLOT, SCRIPT, NARATIVE AND WRITING: On the dessert planet of Kharak due to a satellite malfunction the people who live there discover an ancient startship in a dessert along with a hyperspace engine and a stone with coordinates with to what appears to be their planet of origin, called Hiigara
    curved on it. The Kharakian clans put aside their differences and collaborated to build a huge mothership that would take them to Hiigara. A neuroscientist named karan developed a system that connected a human being with the mothership as its living computer. Karan volunteered and became the ships living computer and commander. First trials are about to begin, and this is where the game begins and where my spoiling ends. The writing of the game has a poetic direction. The narrator, the characters all feel like they are coming from inside a poem of sorts. This whole direction of narrative is very original and effective in contributing to the game's atmosphere. The voice acting seemed dull at the beginning, but this changed fast. It has a subtle emotional tension that works really well.
    GAMEPLAY AND MECHANICS: The mothership is your primary base of opperations. There you can build all sorts of ships, from the smallest scout to the biggest battlecruiser, but it cannot move and while it is very durable it can't dish out any real punishment. There is also the carrier, a unit that has more limited building capabilities and the research ships that are used to acquire new units and tech and which you can only have six at any given moment. And now lets see the part of the game that really made it stand out. Its unique, for an RTS, 3D space navigation. Now there is an extra dimension to navigate. This opens up new possibilities in tactics. Send ships, not just around, but also above and under your enemy, a function that i believe was greatly appreciated by those who liked multiplayer. This mechanic is implemented excellently in HW and really works, but it has some minor quirks. You see, to move your unit you can't just right or left click somewhere in the map. You must either select the appropriate option from a menu opened by right clicking the unit or units whom you wish to move and then left clicking on the map, and you must keep pressing shift in order to choose directional height. Fear not though. The tutorial does an excellent job on teaching you the ropes and the movement system is relatively easy to get used to.
    There is also a world map mode accessed by pressing spacebar. From there you got an over all view of the entire map so you can monitor various fronts, you can see where resources are denser and you units appear as green dots(enemy as red while colour varies in multiplayer). One of the best features of the game is the fact that whatever you have(units, resources etc.) carries on to the next mission. You must be effective in the missions ahead as it would be unpleasant if you have ended up on the next mission with very low resources and with a very small ineffective wing of interceptors vs a full enemy fleet. Missions themselves are very unpredictable in nature, and I wont say more about this element so I dont spoil them. Lastly many missions will make you fill like you fighting against all odds, and you do. Enemy forces will often outnumber your's quite a bit and you will be like â
  8. Nov 17, 2011
    I was waiting for this game some months, and bought it right away after it's release. It's a deep strategy game, with great graphics, story and awesome sound (not only music).
    Full of that kind of details that make a good game a great one. Unfortunately I have never found again a RTS game like this. Highs: everything except it's low
    Lows: Sometimes can be slow (worse when replaying missions)
  9. Dec 21, 2011
    A extremely important moment in gaming history. Relic took the RTS format and added an additional dimension in a space strategy game that arguably has yet to be bested. The singleplayer experience is moving, challenging and memorable. Quite possibly one of the best games ever.
  10. Feb 29, 2012
    first off you have to understand that for its time of release, 1999, that games and especially RTS games were still in the beginning phases of development. that being said, this is an amazing game. i am going to say my only complaint right of the bat. The interface, overlay, and lets face it, is really hard to manage and get used to. right when i started this game i had no idea how to manage the overlay, and it took a long time to get used to it, it is not friendly at all. Now that, that is out of the way i can get to the real game. the strategy, lets first take into account where we are, SPACE. Homeworld is a SPACE game. that's right, tapping into a brand new theme for a game, this is revolutionary, and for me amazing, i love space. and they do it fantastically. i have nothing to say other than that, you just need to play it, NOW. That is if you can find it. I have always thought that this game was underrated, and never got the attention it deserved. so go play it, after you can find it
    9/10 -out of this world, literal...
  11. Jun 13, 2012
    Massively ahead of it's time, and few modern releases even get close to this for it's gameplay. Never playing this game is as much a crime as never playing Deus Ex; it should be taught in frikkin schools.
  12. Jul 30, 2012
    One of my all time favorite Strategy games, and i think one of the first of its kind. It has its own style and i would go ahead and say even today it could be enjoyed by someone who never played it before
  13. Dec 28, 2012
    An excellent game with awesome graphics for its day (And even now). The races were too similar for my tastes, which is the only bad point in the game. Great visuals, great SFX, great soundtrack, geat campaign
  14. Mar 5, 2013
    Homeworld is a marvelous game which aged very well. What really stands out are story, gameplay and music/ sound which create an incredible deep atmosphere which isn't reached by any other RTS till now.
  15. Apr 14, 2013
    Very hard not to love this game. Great game-play, beautiful graphics for the time and very advanced as well. Even today, there is little that can match it.

1. Simply one of those titles that makes you say "Wow." You'll have to pick your jaw up off the floor when you experience it for the first time. It is a rare gem; an awesome feat of programming, graphical design, and sound production, all wrapped around superb gameplay. It deserves the highest praise.
  2. With its stunning 3D engine, uniquely challenging gameplay in both single- and multiplayer modes, great audio, and terrific story, Homeworld is both an excellent game and one that may well reshape the entire real-time strategy genre.
  3. Not only has control of this environment been handled well, but the smoothness of overall presentation and gameplay seem to reflect an excellence from RTS titles that we should all be looking forward to in the future.