8.1

Oct 26, 2005
    Solid hybrid strategy/action game. Pretty unique, I really liked it.
  2. Nov 19, 2012
    It's been over a decade since this game was released. I thank my dad for buying me this game. The game was well presented. The story was very powerful, and the narrator had you at the edge of your seat. As for graphics, they will obviously be ugly compared to those of more modern games, but, hey, this game was made in 2001, so give it a break. It was great at the time. Now for theIt's been over a decade since this game was released. I thank my dad for buying me this game. The game was well presented. The story was very powerful, and the narrator had you at the edge of your seat. As for graphics, they will obviously be ugly compared to those of more modern games, but, hey, this game was made in 2001, so give it a break. It was great at the time. Now for the gameplay. What a wonderful combination of real-time strategy and third-person shooter elements! Yes, it has the action, but you really need think, and start being strategic. And I love the resource management. The sound and music were excellent as well. What pains me is that there was no multiplayer. If it had multiplayer, then it would be a great game perfected. Unfortunately, the game only has a story mode, so once you beat the game, that's it. But it takes about 20-30 hours to complete, and a second playthrough is worth it, so that's like 40-60 hours. In conclusion, this is the best game nobody plays. I hope one day, someone will remake this game, solve all its issues and I'll buy it on day one. Expand
  3. SuperH.
    Jan 2, 2005
    Best game ever, weesh......
  4. JenkinS
    Dec 22, 2009
    Hostile Waters was very far beyond it's time when it was released, I still could not find anything comparable in the game world today, with it's uniformly created games always basing on Action, Horror and the graphic improvements of their predecessors. I still play it, I'm still impressed from it's depth. When I reached the end I was empty. Rage should have sold the Hostile Waters was very far beyond it's time when it was released, I still could not find anything comparable in the game world today, with it's uniformly created games always basing on Action, Horror and the graphic improvements of their predecessors. I still play it, I'm still impressed from it's depth. When I reached the end I was empty. Rage should have sold the license to anyone, who was able to create good remakes or sequels. Expand
  5. Jul 25, 2015
    Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising is a 2001 strategy game, similar to the original Command and Conquer, where you create and use a variety of ground and air defense units, collect resources, while battling an enemy on an island in the ocean. The story puts you in the middle of a world rebuilt after a war that nearly destroyed everything. The people of this new world once again find themselvesHostile Waters: Antaeus Rising is a 2001 strategy game, similar to the original Command and Conquer, where you create and use a variety of ground and air defense units, collect resources, while battling an enemy on an island in the ocean. The story puts you in the middle of a world rebuilt after a war that nearly destroyed everything. The people of this new world once again find themselves in a conflict, this time against the leaders of the old world who escaped into hiding after losing the war.

The story is pretty good and would make for an interesting reboot with a modern look. As a real-time strategy, it's actually pretty fun. The voice acting is decent and the game looks good for a 2001 release, but definitely outdated by todays standards. The game utilizes a 3D map, which is a nice change for RTS games released around the same time. The controls are different than I expected for an RTS. I usually like to micromanage my units, but with Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising you don't have that ability. There are an array of different units you can create, each with their own abilities and shortcomings, Unlike more popularly known titles such as the Command and Conquer games, in Antaeus Rising you have the ability to individually upgrade units with armor, shields and so on.

All in all, while it might be a bit dated, it is a decent RTS and is worth picking up if you are into old school Real Time Strategy games. Personally, I would like to see this on a reboot list at some point in the future.

Hostile Waters is not only a superb PC game it's actually one of the very best games I've ever played.
  2. Nice single-player game progression, though, and a welcome transfusion of RTS gaming's life-blood.
  3. Ultimately, a gap-filled and very linear storyline, a lack of any sort of multiplayer or joystick support, and the relative ease of mission completion undermine any real value here for the gamer.