8.4

1. Oct 23, 2012
    Hotline Miami is just as fun as it is punishing, that is to say that it's a whole lot of both. It's a top-down fmup (think shmup but extremely brutal) with a pretty heavy tactical element to it that keeps you thinking about how to approach every situation more and more efficiently each time you die--and you'll die an awful lot. Any enemy can kill you or knock you out in one hit, so you'll be trying one idea, failing, and then refining that idea a few times until you have that glorious satisfaction of overcoming all the odds against you. The level design is pretty complex and the enemies are varied enough that the trial-and-error gameplay doesn't become stale. There is almost always a genuine challenge (apart from two absolutely ridiculous boss battles and a pretty cheap stealth segment), making the "trial" in "trial-and-error" something really, really compelling. The AI isn't great at picking up on signs that you're in their midst, but if it was, the game would probably be absolutely impossible. The campaign follows a narrative that isn't very strong, but it's definitely something interesting. It complements the stressful gameplay with some really weird hallucinations that actually make you wonder what the hell is actually going on, and then, even though it's not very complex, it ties up loose ends in a pretty fascinating way. The graphics, despite the really ugly face drawings, are stylish and give off an extremely eighties vibe, though there are no options to turn off some features like screen sway, which will probably end up hurting the game's accessibility. The real aesthetic star is the soundtrack, though. For 2012, it's one of the absolute best game soundtracks, right up there with Vessel. Because of its extreme challenge, Hotline Miami is probably not a game for most people, but it's extremely good at what it does, and despite a few caveats it's one of the best games this year. Expand
  2. Dec 10, 2012
    INDIE GAME OF THE YEAR FTW, Great music soundtrack, Brilliantine gritty knife throwing game play, engading and interesting story, AN ORIGINAL CONCEPT DIFFIDENTLY WORTH ALL YOUR MONEYS
  3. Oct 24, 2012
    1. This game has the best soundtrack I've ever heard.

2. It plays like Super Meat Boy with GTA graphucs and a Fear and Loathing in Vice City vibe.

3. It's ultra-violence at it's best.
  4. Oct 26, 2012
    Excellent game. The tension, the artistry, the speed, the strategy... A commendable and highly artistic rendation and critique of violence in popular media and an immense retro throwback make this game an instant cult hit. Granted, it's not for everyone but if you like vintage, tongue in cheeck humor and the 80's... go play it!
  5. Dec 7, 2012
    I'm fine with the 8-bit retro look. But there doesn't seem to be any real gameplay here. Just a very stylized look and increasingly graphic violence.

You pick up the weapon on the ground, and use it to kill the next guy. Then you repeat those 2 steps ad infinitum. Theres not even much of a puzzle to it. You just have to click faster than the enemy.
  6. Feb 3, 2013
    Personally, I didn't enjoy this game at all. I won't begrudge the devs the $2.50 I spent on it given the obvious care and attention that's been put into the music and aesthetic, but the gameplay style just left me cold. It really requires an absurd level of repetition to get through any part of the game in order to just learn the mechanics, and that's just not my cup of tea.

The
    in-game brutality is matched only by how brutally the game treats the player. If that sort of gaming masochism is your thing, then have at it.

For reference sake, I think Super Meat Boys is hard too. But this is harder a LOT harder. I enjoyed SMB up to a point. This, not so much.
  7. Nov 5, 2012
    80s graphics in a 2012 game. I know that hipsters and brain-dead people are gonna eat this up because "hurr-durr, it's indie", but this is pushing it.
  8. Oct 28, 2012
    It's sadistic fun at its best. Think super meat boy in top-down shmup with awesome 80s disco soundtrack and some weird tripping story interludes. A game that rewards you for perfectly timing smashing through a door, jumping on someone's face, bashing it in, taking their baseball bat, throwing it into the next room at a mobster's head, taking his gun, then shooting his friend in the room that is rushing at you with a crowbar. Then he wakes up from his daze and you pop him in the head, then all hell breaks loose as every single enemy on the map proceeds to enter the room you are in, and you only have 4 bullets remaining in this auto shotgun... so you hold back behind a corner of the doorway as they rush in "CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK" goes your mouse, and "BAM BAM BAM BAM" goes your shotgun... there's bloody mess EVERYWHERE but there's one guy left and he's running in with an assault rifle.... so instead you right click... and your autoshotgun goes flying across the room in your single last chance of faith in the game.... knocks the bodyguard out and then you storm him and jump on his face and keep bashing away until he stops moving and the last breathe of air escapes his now-limp corpse. Then a voice yells "GO BACK TO THE CAR!" while the smooth 80s disco beat continues to kick in. Oh how sexy you feel. If that sounds like your kind of game. GET ON BOARD Expand
  9. Oct 24, 2012
    I can handle top-down shooters. I can handle terrible eye-straining graphics, I can even handle trial and error gameplay, but one thing I will never understand is when everyone in the game has a life meter but you. For the life of me you will die, no less then 300 times, in ONE-SINGLE-HIT with anything even a door. Yet enemies take two, three, sometimes five hits to die. The screen rotates as you move, it shakes constantly and the controls are completely broken. It would have been a hit in the year it's taking place in (1989) but for 2012, the eye strain, the aggravation and the urge to drive to the developers and beat them within two inches of their lives is not worth it, and $9.99 is defiantly not worth it. Again yet another pile of trash that will go straight to the top of the charts. Expand
  10. Oct 27, 2012
    This belongs on Newgrounds, not Steam. This would've been average at best 10 years ago, now it's just sort of pointless, nostalgia will only take a game so far. There's a ton of free game websites full of this stuff.
  11. Oct 23, 2012
    An excellent little indie title that is not without its flaws. Currently (at launch) there are some stability issues though the developers are fixing them as quickly as possible. Also, the stealth mission (mentioned in the Destructoid review) does really suck. Thankfully, the rest of the game makes up for it. It has one of the best soundtracks in any game I've played; I'll definitely be listening to it outside of the game.

The gameplay is fast paced and quite brutal but it requires you to be strategic or you'll quickly become overwhelmed. You can't zerg through this game, (nearly) everything kills you in a single hit. It isn't a very long game but what it offers is top notch (aside from that damn stealth level).
  12. Oct 29, 2012
    It's a decent game. At its best, it feels really good; At it' worst it's a gamer's worst nightmare. I'm still fighting the controls despite many hours of gameplay. Notable issues are line of sight (you'll die from enemies you can't even see more times than you'd like, awkward character rotation (especially noticeable with a melee weapon) means you'll miss your swings like you're some kind of drunk brawler (missing a swing = death 99% of the time). I keep dying because I don't feel comfortable with the controls. I long for a gamepad, and that's really not a good thing when I'm playing on my computer. It really feels like one of those twin-stick shooters on XBLA. It could certainly work great with a mouse, but in this case it's barely functional, never mind reliable or enjoyable in the midst of the action (also, your cross-hair isn't visible enough, which adds insult to injury). The game is also quite full of other really weird oversights (or were they design decisions? I honestly can't tell). For instance: if you occupy the same space as an enemy, that enemy can't hit you (melee or gun), neither can you hit him. That alone could be fine, but when combined with the awkward controls and the lack of enemy friendly fire it's quite a **** pain. Also, the doors keep getting in the way, opening and closing wildly when touched with anything (bullets included), sending enemies in a concussion (i.e. not killing them), but blocking your precious bullets. Also, it's quite a shock when an enemy rises from a pool of blood because he was knocked unconscious by the door and not killed by your bullets, and then he kills you (of course). There's also the most horrible boss in recent history [*spoiler?*] : the one with the motorcycle helmet. He's fully invincible (of course you don't know that until he kills you 3 times as you're standing in disgust) until he trows his **** knife, at which point you can bash him; also, he rotates around you, sort of not attacking you outright even though's he's faster than you and he's **** invincible. It feels so wrong with how the rest of the game plays, I felt cheated. [*/spoiler*] Oh and then there's that "stealth" section, which I don't even feel like describing. However, the game does build up quite an atmosphere. The story is engaging, the music is pretty damn awesome and the graphics work fine, despite inducing confusion in pitched battles (the screen kind of moves about, scorepoints clutter the screen, blood everywhere, flashes of light -oh, you're dead aren't you, I bet you didn't even notice. I sure haven't.) So in the end, pros: cool atmosphere, aesthetics are poignant and engaging. cons: the controls don't do the game justice, some horrible bosses and a god-awful stealth sequence. Still a decent game, though I'm confused by the incredibly high scores. Collapse
  13. Dec 7, 2012
    It's a top down shooter. You'll get bored of this like you got bored of Smash tv or the old Gauntlet games. Not that this is a bad game, it isn't, just this has all been done before.
  14. Oct 27, 2012
    Hotline Miami produces an amazing atmosphere - a cross between a David Lynch movie and 'Drive'. The soundtrack is amazing, and mixed with the great game play, Hotline really gets your adrenaline pumping. A must buy.
  15. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is one of the best indie games that I have played in a long time. I literally spent a whole day dedicated to this game. Its brutal, fun, and addicting, and that's all I need for a decent game.
  16. Feb 9, 2013
    For a small little game that focuses mainly on gameplay you'd think they don't make it repetitive. But they did. You get bored of rooms and rooms of bad guys which you have to kill by positioning yourself well and mashing space or whatever. The story is pretty dull too in my opinion. A pretty disappointing game after what I expected seeing those reviews and ratings.
  17. Jan 4, 2013
    It's not great, but it seems to do what it intended to... It's a Nintendo hard game in the overdone retro style. The only way it could be more cliche is if the enemies were zombies.
  18. Jun 20, 2013
    I can not understand the general enthusiasm about this game. This is not an innovative indie title, but a rude, ugly and violent trial-and-error fest.
  19. Oct 26, 2012
    There's been a while since I didn't play anything so addictive as this game. I'd even dare to say it feels far more immersive than nowadays boring and unchallenging AAA titles. If you have any real knowledge about video games and good taste, then you'll enjoy this game. The artistry and music are also awesome. It definitely is a must buy.
  20. Nov 4, 2012
    Two guys. Old and primitive technology (Game Maker 7.1, 2007). One wonderful game in old-school hardcore style. Fantastic environment and atmosphere: from soundtrack to visual effects. Well designed gameplay / mechanics. It's godlike!
  21. Jan 2, 2013
    Funny retro-looking game, but you have to be the king of hipster to even consider it a GREAT game. Wake up, guys. Nothing is "amazing" just because it's indie.
  22. Jan 4, 2013
    This game is not retro, although it tries very hard to be so. The controls do not feel like an 8-bit or 16-bit console. The music is something out of Pink Floyd and sounds nothing like the chip tunes of the era. Overall it feels like a retro game from someone that has only heard about them second hand. I only paid $4.99 yet I feel cheated.
  23. Mar 9, 2013
    Like others have said, it would have been a very good Flash game. If you're willing to pay for that, and have a very strong stomach for relentless and pointless gore, then this may be the game for you. I was willing to pay for it and I liked the few hours I played, but even as someone who's played and enjoyed FPS and fighting games (not to mention the GTA games) for twenty years the unpleasantness of this game makes me unwilling to keep playing it. Expand
  24. Jul 23, 2013
    Gameplay is fun... for about 30 minutes. At that point it starts to become incredibly repetitive. I was glad that it was over after 3-4 hours, as the gameplay couldn't even support that much. It's also as eye-straining as it is ugly. It may be that way by design, but that doesn't make it any more appealing.

Bottom line: There are plenty of great indie games out there. This isn't one of them.
  25. Oct 25, 2012
    The game is rly fun to play.. it feels like loaded from psx or GTA1. It has a nice story that force you to use your imagination. You need skill to play this game.. at the beginning you will die a lot because the game is hard but with some practice you will get good fast and will start to enjoy the game. Hotline Miami is the kind of game that makes you rly use your brain.

You can play
    this game like a thief using only melee weapons or like Rambo.

Amazing soundtrack and old 16bit graphics.
  26. Oct 30, 2012
    Full review: http://newgameplus.co/pc/hotline-miami-review/

Hotline Miami, from indie developer Dennaton Games, is a hard-hitting, visceral experience. It starts in a dark alleyway where a nameless observer instructs you to kill three men. The first two with your fists, the last one with a baseball bat. The violence in Hotline Miami is brutal. It isn
  27. Nov 4, 2012
    A personal favorite and personal indie GOTY, Hotline Miami allows you to relive the days of newgrounds and Xgenstudio's "Stickman Arena" with it's arcade, top-down, style. The gameplay isn't the only thing really mesmerizing about the title, though, the music was flawlessly chosen for the title to portray the feelings of the protagonist. Definitely cathartic and worth a try for anyone who can appreciate a retro style arcade title. Expand
  28. Jul 23, 2013
    The game play is sub par at best. The controls are awful, the hit boxes odd and the NPCs have a penchant to sometimes be dead eyes and sometimes have worse aim than a storm trooper. This is besides the point of the horrible semi moving screen that makes anyone who thinks this game is skill based sadly mistaken. The point is this game just doesn't click on any levels. It isn't a fun top down, it isn't a fun shooter and it makes little sense at all. Overall I have honestly played better quality flash game. I understand the concept of retro but polish your retro up. This game just fails on so many levels it makes me want to cry. Expand
  29. Oct 29, 2012
    Ultraviolence, through and through.. just splendid for those who have the stomach. as far as game mechanics go, for me it took a little time to get used to, but the learning curve can be pretty steep, and it will definately sharpen your reflexes. ive beat the game, but i still want to unlock all the secrets and the alternative endings. not to mention the mask.. all in all its a true bargain. you get way more fun out of it, than you put money in. 9/10 Expand
  30. Jun 20, 2013
    Pretty great game. You can tell its indie though. The soundtrack is fantastic. The art style and animations are great. The story was pretty cool, weird and novel. The gameplay is kind of niche: you will have to play the same level many times often until you finish it. So, the game involves memorization. The repeated play has some issues, because there's some levels that have "new" game mechanics that are sometimes not obvious to figure out, resulting in a lot of play throughs up to this one point until you figure it out (I think they should have offered gameplay tips at these obstacles). Some combat bugs, such as doors getting in the way of bullets oddly, which can become very frustrating, and the hit detection sometimes being odd. Expand
  31. Oct 29, 2012
    I enjoy the fact that this game kicks my butt. I'm fairly good at games and this thing is tough! I like the fact that it actually takes skill. There are things I don't like about it (lack of options, minor physics issues, and even more minor control issues) but they are mostly blurred in the background while I'm killing people mindlessly. There are different masks to be worn which give you certain advantages and unlockable weapons to use which generate randomly. The replay isn't fueled so much by that though, its more just the release of stress you get from bashing in a whole bunch of sprited heads (they are bad guys though and they deserve such treatment). Expand
  32. Oct 26, 2012
    Hotline Miami is a Indie done right. The combination of stealth and gruesome combat is great! The visual style with neon-colors and the great soundtrack underpin a really surreal and quite interesting plot that connects all of the murder scenes. This is by far the best Indie game I've ever played even surpassing FTL and Meatboy. Don't miss this but be warned that it's an adult theme.
  33. Nov 3, 2012
    This is not a game that everyone will enjoy. It presents a disconcerting, neon-glowing underworld through which the player is propelled by addictive, ultra-violent game mechanics. These actions, and their motivations, are turned on the player by posing them as questions - both outright, and implicitly, when the violence reaches its stomach-turning peaks. Hotline Miami presents one of the strongest explorations of video game violence and player motivations ever put to binary. It is also an important game. It brings to a mass audience what indie games are capable of: tackling issues that mainstream games **** around to avoid offending the press and the public, as well as eschewing the linear criteria of what's considered "quality" presentation in games. The game would be no better with more advanced graphics - in fact, the themes would be diluted by a greater focus on realism. The neon lights coupled with streaking blood and bright pink gore act like a scribbled highlighter on a page. The iconography of the character art works towards setting the player up: each enemy is faceless, their silhouettes only changing to convey what type of threat they are. They are set up to be classified as problems to be solved. This is what makes the questions posed to the player so powerful.

The game is fun. But it's a strange kind of fun. I would implore you to try it with an open mind, without trying to frame it or categorize it at first. Like a great art-house film, it feels very "complete" in what it sets out to do, which goes above and beyond trivial issues such as "I don't like 2d art" or "why is there no health bar". Those who fail to open up to new experience miss out on a lot in life, this game being no exception...
  34. Oct 30, 2012
    The brutal action, intoxicating music, and vibrant pixel-art push the satisfying brutality of tactical murder into a surreal dream-like experience that you simply can't forget. The story and gameplay fit together perfectly, and the small amount of randomization keeps things fresh as you constantly pound the restart button after getting your brains splattered across the floor. The plot is intelligent, vague, and overwhelmingly surreal to the point of simultaneous satisfaction and confusion. In the end you'll be left with your thoughts, and you'll probably have questions. But, after a little brain power, you'll think you have the plot figured out when all of the sudden you realize that you already knew the plot. You WERE the plot. If that sounds weird, it's because this game is weird, as well. While the game has some flaws, they can be overlooked for the most part, and you'll find yourself almost oblivious to the problems during gameplay. For now, I'll give the game an 8. Mostly due to technical problems that the developers are already working on, and because of the severe lack of options. If the game had been in development just a bit longer I think it could have been a perfect 10. Expand
  35. Feb 6, 2013
    A hazy, grimy and unapologetically brutal rampage through an 80s tinted world, or a subversive and though-provoking look into the pervasiveness of excess violence in video games and media in general? Decide on whichever you want, as none of these questions really matter when you're actually down playing this wonderfully addictive, and surprisingly tactical, kill-fest.
  36. Dec 17, 2012
    Pedro said that hotline miami is very good and he bought overlord to wipe your ass so that did not pay. And his mother took it and put it on the shelf of your home zazaTR your coconut.
  37. Jan 11, 2013
    Hotline Miami is a retro top down nintendo-style game with 80s pink neon feel and thumping hot soundtrack. Violently fun and different from most other games around. It's got a lot of funny tongue in cheek humor that some reviewers don't get. Absolutely worth the price for the experience.
  38. Feb 26, 2013
    This game is absolutely god awful. I played 5 minutes of it, rage quit, and broke my keyboard. I hate this game and I hate the people who made it. I was so enraged by this game I felt the need to create a metacritic account just to express to everyone just how bad of a game this is. DON'T PLAY IT
  39. Mar 20, 2013
    I found Hotline Miami to be a great game. The story was vague but you could make it what you wanted it to be, that's why I liked it. I admit gameplay was repetitive but it was still fun throughout. Besides aren't all games repetitive? While Hotline Miami wasn't groundbreaking, you can still call me a fan. Can't wait for the sequel.
  40. Sep 2, 2013
    I bought Hotline Miami on the Steam sale, tempted by good reviews. This game is just bad. Indie-retro-80`s style is only irritating( I`ve seen lesser pixels in HoMM 3). The controls reacts weird, and the game itself is ALL about killing. Maybe it has some plot, but it always follows the same template you are in your house, you pick up the phone, blah blah blah, you go to your car, loading, you arrive and kill everyone, you take something "important", you go back to the car, you buy something in the shop, you go back to your house, answer the call, blah blah blah, repeat. A lot of unnecessary violence isn`t fun either. The AI is completely unpredictable sometimes you shoot and nothing happens, second time everyone is running at you. Quick summation A LOT OF killing, next "retro" style, unsatisfying gameplay. Enemies can kill you, being "outside" the screen, so you can`t see them at all. And I`m not complaining because of the difficulty. SMB is harder, but more in a challenging way. One more thing the game is bugged some way and music doesn`t play (all other sounds do). This is irritating turned off after 20 minutes. Don`t buy it. Expand
  41. Oct 30, 2012
    This game is incredibly fun, and violent, and tense, and introspective, and uncomfortable. As one reviewer said "It's a game about the things you do in it". You don't beat it; it beats you.

Best summed up with this quote: "And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"
  42. Nov 27, 2012
    This game is superb beyond mere mortal words. It along with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 & Max Payne 3 are my games of the year. The music is a pure eargasm & combined with the flawless strategic gameplay puts you in a murderous trance. It's like Manhunt, Crossed with the 8 bit games Spy Vs Spy, Elevator Action, with a dash of Tetris in spirit of the puzzle & flow. The violence would make Mortal Kombat blush. Never has looking through a mentally broken man's masked hazed vision been so rewarding, Story is among the best. The combined artistry from one developer murks whole multimillion dollar corporations efforts. This 1 man swedish developer is a beast & deserves to become a millionaire. Buy this game now! I hope it comes out on PSN & XBox live. Suda-51 bow to the creator of Hotline Miami he took your title of madman of gaming & understands great game design. Expand
  43. Jan 16, 2013
    Hotline Miami is a fun but difficult game in which you sweep through levels from a top down view and kill everyone you find. One well placed bullet or lucky swing by an enemy is enough to kill you but respawning is simply a matter of pressing a button and then you're set to try and clear out the floor again. The visuals are eye-bleedingly retro neon and the soundtrack is pretty good. The mask system allows you to choose what minor perks your character will have, though why anyone would use anything other than the mask that makes gunshots silent is beyond me. The one tip I would suggest is make liberal use of the auto target feature as it will point you in the direction of offscreen enemies and clue you in to their locations to avoid any nasty surprises. Expand
  44. Oct 26, 2012
    Hotline Miami is probably one of the best games of the year. The gameplay requires tactical thinking in a way that is almost puzzle-like, but it also requires extremely quick reflexes and skill. It's extremely fun and insanely addictive. The story is potent and meaningful, but also tongue in cheek, while the graphics are charming and colorful. But of all the presentation elements, it's the brilliant soundtrack that really takes the cake. If you think you can handle the punishment, then Hotline Miami is a must. Expand
  45. Oct 24, 2013
    I have to say, I haven't seen so many 10 ratings on a game since The Last of Us on the PS3!
    Yet there are so many negative reviews. I don't get it.

So here's the deal.... We have a top down shooter with NES style graphics, a high level of blood, gore, violence, and even some brief nudity (8-bit style!), and a stylized soundtrack of some low end "wub wub"... So what's not to love?!?

Well, I have to admit I was really enjoying the first few levels. I was dying pretty often at first, but that's part of the learning experience and there is no penalty or 3 lives per game business.

What I didn't like is the difficulty spike around level 5. It goes from only a couple enemies having weapons to EVERY enemy have fully automatic guns along with rabid dogs darting at you.
    So basically it plays like this... If a gun toting enemy sees you YOU ARE DEAD!

It quickly becomes a game of "Don't throw the (with apologies to Q•bert) controller at the TV!
    It's a bit like being sniped by someone you can't see over and over again.

Very frustrating IMO and I grew up playing, and in most cases, beating some of the harder classics such as Ninja Gaiden 1-3, Ghosts 'N Goblins, & Battletoads.

Had they oven the player a fraction of a second to see and respond to an enemy it would have helped. O even a lesser difficulty option, but no, it plays like its on Maniac mode all the time.

Perhaps the developer can add a slightly easier difficulty via an update. I've seen this happen before. I would definitely jump back in and play if they evened up the odds a bit.
  46. Aug 2, 2013
    Unique perspective and approach to the classical style of retro-walkie shooter. However, the gameplay comes down to your reaction skill run and slash that's all there is in this game. Found it really boring and frustrating after one hour of playing. Waste of money.
  47. Aug 19, 2013
    Awesome game, amazing soundtrack. Fast paced, very challenging, will have you trying to beat the same level 20 times.

Only one complaint. It crashes, a lot. I'm on Windows 8 and certain levels crash almost every time. Seems like when too much is going on, the game will crash. This has made it very hard for me to get through the game.
  48. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is fun, and the tension is good. The soundtrack is particularly interesting as it is modern, but still manages to capture the flavor of chiptune without the grating tinny sound. The graphics are of Commodore 64 quality -- and this isn't an exaggeration -- so I can't really say anything good about them. But the game's greatest weaknesses are its repetitiveness and linearity. The levels are all different and progressively more difficult, but only in the way that levels in Sokoban change: ultimately, they are the same thing, but just organized differently. Which is ok. It works. But it isn't spectacular. Some people love the instant death without penalty (one shot kills you, but you just restart the level), but I find that it ruins the tactical aspect of the game. Instead of planning out your moves and playing it intelligently, you'll find that it's a lot easier just to do trial and error. One of the first things the game tells you is, "don't be afraid to die," and pretty early into the game, you really won't be and that detracts a bit from the mood. But for all its flaws, my overall impression is positive. The game does what it's supposed to do: it entertains. Just buy it when it's on sale. Expand
  49. Jun 16, 2013
    Hotline Miami is a brutal top-down shooter where you're instructed to kill a whole bunch of people and you really don't know why. The game is incredibly unsettling, between the genocide, the creepy music, the graphics that look like a terrible VHS recording, the terrible sense of increasing loneliness and desperation, and the sense that maybe all of it isn't real, even by the game's standards.

The gameplay is tough. The action is frantic, since one shot kills you and enemies move quickly, yet requires a lot of planning as you decide how to take on heavily-guarded buildings. The harder battles are ridiculously difficult. The sound is creepy and very fitting. The graphics are simple 2D, but the aesthetic is also unsettling. The controls are tough to get used to, but ultimately work most of the time. The story's somewhat minimal, but the story that is there is very interesting.

I think this game is worth the $10 purchase, and if this looks interesting to you, I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you enjoy it, there's a lot of replayability here too. Definitely get it if it's on sale. The soundtrack is very good, but it's not exactly feel-good music. Either way, consider picking up the soundtrack too.
  50. Jul 13, 2013
    I know this isn't the best game in the history. it's far from it. BUT, it brings to me wonderful memories from great games from the past, that made my childhood awesome, like NES Mission: Impossible, and PC GTA 2. Now, about the game itself, i'ts awesome, it's hard, and it's beatiful. It has minor cons, but we have to evalute him like the way the creators made it. Is not for everyone, the game it's basically about dying a lot, but learning a lot too. Juego increíble, gracias por traer mis mejores recuerdos de infancia de vuelta. Expand
  51. Oct 29, 2012
    Not perfect, but astoundingly brilliant nonetheless. The gameplay requires some learning. This means you'll die. A lot, which will be perfectly fine more often than not thanks to the bite-sized levels. It also means that if you manage to adapt and learn, you'll get better. Even though It will remain tricky and unforgiving (and therefore challenging and engaging) due to the way the aiming system works, you will gradually become able to pull off bold and risky moves, and you'll be rewarded for it with a sense of achievement. It's the ultimate reward a game can give you, it's something various systems out there try to replicate in a somewhat callous way with badges made of pixels, and it is something that comes naturally to this particular game.

The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic as well. I really don't know anything about music so I'll shut up (after saying just this): I think that not only it is good in its own right, but that it also perfectly fits and maybe even extends the most excellent experience that is Hotline Miami. I knocked a point because I'm left-handed: The use of the shift key is a big no-no of awkwardness for me, and there currently is no way around this. A patch is on the way, but I really think it should have been in the release.

In the end, if you're a gaming rat that gets into nerd rage fits at the sight of anything that is not the formatted Skinner box he has been taught to like, don't buy this.

On the other hand, if you are more of an open-minded type of gaming rat, this little gem of a game will reward you amply for your time and your attention.
  52. Jan 2, 2013
    Hotline Miami just oozes with atmosphere. The soundtrack is amazing and the simple graphical style looks surprisingly great. The story and setting is bizarre and grotesque and its casual use of extreme violence really sets the mood in place. The gameplay works great in its simplicity and it is as rewarding as it is challenging to succeed in the perfect way. The game has some minor flaws. Checkpoints placed before cutscenes is one of them. Its biggest flaw if you can call it a flaw is that the game isn't very long. Most will probably beat the game in about 5 hours or less. But if you take into account the very low cost of this game that is hardly a real problem. And i would wholeheartedly recommend everyone to pick this one up since the game offers some really quality gameplay for a cheap price. Expand
  53. Jan 27, 2014
    This game is so frustrating and empty. It's beyond me that it got such a high score.

- To begin with, Hotline Miami has no customization beyond ''masks'' that give special abilities, no cinematics and no story whatsoever. I know it's not a 60$ game but it looks cooler than it is.

- Devoid of a godmode, the game requires to start over a zillion times. It sucks. There is no
    justification to this.

- Excluding the restart annoyance, the game is very short.

Really beyond cool sounds and soundtrack, you will not find much in this one.
  54. Dec 13, 2012
    Drug-fueled Tactical Espionage Action in the 80s. You have to beat each level without being hit, rewarding stealth and planning versus run & gun. While short, it's a very unique action game and worth picking up at a reduced price.
  55. Oct 26, 2012
    I've just stopped playing Hotline Miami for 4 hours straight and I would like to play more, but I have to put a limit somewhere! It's fun, intense and it's got interesting story, too. It's really hard and you have to try different strategies to survive unfair fights. Controls works well, but you can't change them (at least, at the moment) and that's a minus. Graphics are what you could expect from 80's-90's. True blast from the past. Art is good and music... Music is awesome. I don't even listen that kind of music normally and still I can't help but grin when one of those great tracks starts. There's lots of dark humor and, as you progress, things start to turn more and more twisted. Even though this game is extremely violent, in subtle ways, this game is actually against mindless violence. Who would have thought that this kind of little game could make such impact. I recommend this to everyone, who wants to have a tough challenge while listening very good music. I think even those, who demand AAA -class graphics will enjoy this game. I know I will. Expand
  56. Jan 6, 2013
    Hotline Miami is a good game but the graphics is really bad. The story was great although the game can be finished pretty quickly (4-5 hours in my case).
  57. Nov 1, 2012
    I picked up this game the other day and I haven't been able to stop playing it. I'd say it's got a lot of things going for it, and I'm somewhat baffled by some of the more negative reviews I have read on here from other users. It is a top down shooter controlled by the keyboard for movement and the mouse for aiming. I can understand how the controls may give some people a hrd time, but I felt them clicking within about an hour of play. In my experience so far, it is incredibly easy to control, and I now find myself flying through levels at speeds that would have terrified me when I first started playing. The game is fast, brutal, and completely unforgiving. I have heard it compared to Trials HD on XBL, and that comparison is completely warranted. They are fundamentally different games, but they have that same rapid-fail, rapid-restart system that encourages experimentation and switching up yourstrategies to try to find the most painless, combo-streaking way to tear through the army of enemies littering the level. The use of violence, especially given the old-school graphics, is surprisingly over-the-top and visceral, and even manages to be unsettling to a certain degree, especially when, at the end of each level, you have to march back out to your car through a sea of mutilated bodies and blood covering the building. I have beaten the game through 3 times at this point, and I can't wait to get off of work to go back and blast my way through it again. It's simple, it's challenging, it's very unique (I can't think of any game to compare the actual minute-to-minute gameplay to) and I LOVE IT. It may not be for absolutely everyone, but it has won me over in a big way. If you're the kind of gamer who likes a challenge, and is up for mastering a new type of game you may not have extensive experience with already, this game is for you, and it's badass. My only real complaint in this flood of praise is that the game is kind of short, and with the simplicity of the basic mechanics, i'm a little disappointed that they couldn't throw in a few more level than what is there. But for 10 bucks, I definitely found it to be worth my money. Expand
  58. Feb 17, 2014
    I had this game gifted to me on Steam and I thought it would keep me amused for a while, it didn't though it's the most overrated game I have played in a while.

The graphics style and music are good but it stops there.

At first glance looking at the steam page you might think this is an action game like Smash TV or Zombie Shooter, it's nowhere near as good as those and nowhere near
    as much fun, you basically have limited ways to kill the enemy who rush and one hit kill you all the time.

The aim of the game is to die non stop and keep trying until you win and feel rewarded - just a shame the devs and all the fanboys forgot that games are supposed to be fun to play.

In short - an overhyped game with a high difficulty to hide a shallow game underneath.
  59. Nov 8, 2012
    NOT FOR EVERYONE - if you have a low tolerance towards any of the following: "bad" graphics (retro 16 bit), extremely cheap enemies (insane reflexes, often clairvoyant), bare-bones story (albeit a somewhat thought provoking one), and/or are susceptible to rage, stay the hell away from this game as you might very well suffer a stroke. The joy of successfully completing a level after 100+ deaths (you die in one hit from anything unless you equip a certain item) cannot be overstated, but you might go insane in the process. Expand
  60. Jan 29, 2013
    Going to throw this out before you read my review of this game, it might be worth your time checking out the bad reviews. If you don't then i'll sum it up to this, if you love this game your a blind, dumb hipster that love broken games. There to funny to read, but anyway......

Hotline Miami is one of those different games to come out in the indie section. To be honest, When I first saw
    the game I didn't think it belonged there until I got a peak at the gameplay. When it went up on sale not to long ago I thought I would give it a try and right away loved the game. At the begining of the game your greeted by a homeless looking guy who teaches you the basics then you meet the masked three (that's what I call them anyway.) I'm not going to talk about story and ruin it for ya so lets talk game play.

Since the game is a over the top shooter it doesn't look like something you could be stealthy at, but that's where your wrong. Depending on what you like in weapon wise and what your mask does you could go silent or all out but the trick of this game is to plan your attack instead of going right at it, a simple thing that many game developers tend to push to the side to help out newer gamer's. As long as you think before you act you can get threw this game pretty well but remember, just like your enemies can be killed by one hit, you can die with one hit as well so trial and error is needed when you first start playing just to get use to it. The more you kill the more points you collect and you can make more points by how bold you get, how many chained kill you collect and even how you take them out and with allot of different weapons to choose from you wont get tired trying something different like switching your shotgun for a base ball bat or sword.

I myself haven't beaten the game just yet but from what I have played I am very pleased with this game, but to be honest I like to see more for this game and if not this one then I hope to see allot more for Hotline Miami 2 (yes they are already developing a second game). From what I can tell, after you beat the story there isn't much else for you to do except play the sorry again and get high scores on all the levels. What this game could use is a user friendly level maker along with some sort of server system to share these levels to other players, but that's just a personal idea since I don't want to just drop this game after defeating it. Besides that, I really dig the music in this game. It kind of gave me a 80's movie soundtrack feel to it and goes well with the entire gameplay feel.

In the end, I'm giving it a 8.5 (even tho I can only give it a 8 here) for trying something new and winning.

P.S. Notice I never talked about graphics beyond 'over top shooter'? That's because graphic's is never something you should worry about. you don't need good graphic for a good game, the game could look like crap and still be awesome.
  61. Nov 17, 2012
    The old-style graphics mixed with a sinister and dark plot as a beat-em up game is genius, and I spent six-ten hours completing it normally, then just using melee/my fists unless I absolutely had to use guns. The game is absolutely enjoyable, and I advise you buy it.
  62. May 3, 2013
    “简单、直接、暴力、挑战”,因为语言问题无法了解故事情节,但并不影响这款游戏的独特体验。操作非常的简单,很快就能适应;杀与被杀都是直接了当,绝不拖泥带水;爆头,断肢,血浆一点也不少;被杀后只要按R键就可以从这个楼层从新开始,快速投入到令人血脉喷张的战斗中。游戏有丰富的武器和道具供你使用,高强度的电子乐,绝对刺激,绝对少儿不宜!
  63. Dec 27, 2012
    Hotline Miami is hypnotic. The score based, fast-paced arcade style action set to a pulsing background and thumping music produce an experience that's really unique. The game play is very trial and error; it takes several runs through a level to learn what works, yet alone what yields a high score. There's a very fulfilled and rewarding feeling gained when a section is cleared, however, the same game play factors that produce the aforementioned satisfaction also produce frustration. The controls are finicky, there's a very thin line between sliding around the level racking up a score and bopping from corner to corner until someone ends your misery. If I had a nickel for every time that I was shot down by an enemy off screen, I would have enough money to pay for this game twice. It's worth noting that this fun arcadey-romp has a story, which is interesting enough to keep your attention and make all of your actions feel a little more bad-ass. Bottom line: With Hotline Miami, you get your cake and eat it too, except your cake has no icing. A great experience with A LOT of room for improvement. Expand
  64. Jan 2, 2013
    It's a great time for Hotline Miami to stand between the indie games, as lots of them are getting rewarded by its premise (The Walking Dead and Journey for example). These games were acclaimed by their compelling story or beautiful imagery. The problem is this game doesn't have any beautiful images or an interesting story. You just have to do one thing: KILL. That's right! Remember GTA and GTA II, well, this is exactly the same. Hotline Miami is a fun game, but it's not as original as it claims to be. The gameplay is simple. Kill everything that moves quickly before it kills you. You can grab guns and knives and you can throw some weapons too. Each head will reward us with sort of XP Points and at the end of the level we will see our efficiency. Cool, right? Now, the story. You are a man who dreams about other men with masks talking to each other about you. You wake up, you get a phone call about the "job" you have to do, and once you do the "job" you go to a bar and drink. It gets repetitive. Really repetitive. But this games is all about fun. Hotline Miami is a little bit of GTA mixed with the "Do it fast" theme of Bloody Trapland. The game, though, still is fun to play. Trying to improve our record will have us replaying levels many times, and even though it doesn't have a long duration, we have lots of level. Prepare to die...a lot! Hotline Miami's difficulty is insane. You must be fast, and good, and tactical. You have to look well before getting into trouble. Hotline Miami has those 2D RPG graphics that got lost in the past, but that look so stylish it's impossible not to fall in love with them again. It's also cheerfully violent. The fun, the style and gameplay of the game is what makes it worth it, enough for a good 7. Expand
  65. Jan 3, 2013
    THE GOOD: Genius in it's simplicity and visceral in it's execution (pun intended) Hotline Miami is intentionally old skool (sic). Reminiscent in game play of the great Gauntlet and Alien Breed games of yesterdays, Hotline as been given some modern hyper stylings as blood and scenery gets chewed up as you make your away around the game. Action is quick and unrelenting as one misstep against the outnumbered enemies equals instadeath. I loved the graphics and music. 80's 8-bit text bounces and waves around the screen, while neon sprites and corridors make me wish I was colour blind. On occasion the game will throw some Super Nintendo Mode-7 spins and fades intentionally trying to give it that retro look. To keep things from being too samey,characters appear to have multiple animations, which made me feel that each kill was unique (pan of boiling water is one of my favorites so far). Audio and music is strong and suits 100% this title. In the mix are over 35 weapons and 25 unlockable animal masks, which each gives a slight game play change (greater punch reach, more ammo etc.). Guilty of being simple and fun.

THE BAD: Very little of Hotline Miami can be described as 'bad'. The gameplay itself can take a little getting used to as melee weapons have a certain range and gun aiming takes some practice but this is all part of the charm. Although being reckless is recommended and gives you a bigger score, I keep finding myself planning my movement around the level. Often I'll stop and see what the enemy is carrying before I burst in with a pipe (only to be welcomed in a hail of machine gun fire). Thankfully the restarts are quick and allow you to get back into the action. Due to the graphical style on occasion I'll be caught out by an AI character sat down and blended into the background but this all part of the charm and learning curve. | I would have liked to have seen larger levels, more variety of enemy and a multiplayer co-op element would have sealed the deal and scored a 9+ from me. Rumors of a sequel are already floating around, so fingers crossed for more of the same with some extras.
  66. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is just fun. I don't dig this retro craze as much as most people, but don't get me wrong, this game is bags of fun. Killing people in stylish combo-ey manners hasn't been this frustrating, challenging but just so much adrenaline this game makes you feel like you're on a roller coaster ride. This music just adds so much flavour into this game. I cannot give it anymore high praise. Fun and not to mention reasonably priced Expand
  67. Nov 1, 2013
    Its simple and fun and definitely on my list for Indie game of the year. It just feels like an 80's exploitation film, and reminds me of a lot of crime films from the time. Its easy to get addicted in its clever gameplay and you'll never get tired of cracking a dude over the head with a baseball bat, or finding other gruesome ways to kill your opponents.
  68. Sep 1, 2013
    I like retro games, but didn't like this particular one. You always die. Always. Any hit on you and you die. But the game is fast, so you replay every single mission for 50 times. 30 seconds and you're dead, and all over and over again. Completed 2 chapters and didn't like it at all.

Music is quite annoying. Played on the gamepad and didn't like controls (aiming) also.

The game is
    quite cheap, but don't worth it anyway. Expand
  69. Jun 12, 2013
    Anyone who gave this a negative review obviously doesn't get the game. It's supposed to have graphics, it has an amazing soundtrack (which made me less angry after 1000 deaths), and the scoring system makes replay-ability an option. I got this in a humble bundle, so I can't complain about the price.

You will die in the blink of an eye if you're not careful, but it brings back memories
    of older games where trial and error was part of the fun. You can master levels, because nothing changes and I think that's a great feature.

Buy it and you won't be disappointed. If you're a graphics lover, stay away and go play big development on your colossal gaming rig.
  70. AWG
    Jul 19, 2013
    Hotline Miami starts from a good point but it fails to deliver a continuosly interesting game experience. It's not like you're playing BIT.TRIP RUNNER (i.e. you die 45 times in a row, spend one hour on one, single level, finally beat it and feel like a God): here you die 45 times in a row, spend one hour on one, single map, finally beat it and you feel like an idiot for wasting so much time of your life. I guess it's just a matter of atmosphere; they wanted them to be stylish and witty but in the end they're pretty plain. Expand
  71. Sep 25, 2013
    Hotline Miami gives what no other game can do, it has a perfect mix of strategy, stealth, and action, and it also has unique music and graphics, people may say it's hard but it makes the player strategize and make lots of different tactics on each stage.
  72. Apr 9, 2014
    Hotline Miami is a poor game that suffers from a long drag of trial and error approach. This game presents itself as a gritty, top down, action arcade game, but the game forces players to play exactly the way the game was supposed to be designed and leaves no room for spontaneity, experimentation or replay value.

It's only a matter of minutes before you understand the A.I. pathways and
    exploit it to reach the objective. Every level is exactly the same with no variation.

The story is juvenile at best. The music is mundane. And the trippy art style that constantly flashes colors at you and swerves the screen is literally sickening.

So much for a game made using 'Game Maker'... *sigh*
  73. Jwv
    Jan 9, 2014
    Hotline Miami's simplistic graphics and concept feels refreshing in a time where a lot of releases focus on complex game mechanics and life-like graphics. Simple but one of the most addictive games I ever played. I also liked the myriad of approaches to each level, especially with the masks, that makes for a high replay factor. A confusing and open storyline, but that just let's you focus on the nutty gameplay more. Utterly fun. Expand
  74. Nov 25, 2012
    I usually buy games on sale but after I listened to the whole soundtrack for hotline miami I purchased it for full price. If you don't dig the vibe after watching the trailer then I would say save your money. The game starts out fairly challenging but once you figure out the little details to the gameplay then it becomes moderately easy. The game is about tactically clearing rooms and doing it over and over again till you get it right. Sometimes you will wait and take things step by step, other times you will know exactly what to do and go in swinging/shooting. Again, if you watch the trailer and don't like the graphics or hate the music don't get the game. Also if you don't like challenging games then don't get this game. Expand
  75. Dec 28, 2013
    Don't listen to the idiots around here saying b*llsh*t about hotline miami..IT IS A GEM!!!Story and mood wise!U need an Xbox360 controller for sure,but it is worth your time...Violent,psycho,atmospheric plus a SUPER soundtrack!What else u want from an indie game 18+?It's on sale now!GO 'N' GET IT!!!
  76. Dec 22, 2012
    this kind of games are the only ones that I really enjoy. Difficult, different to the rest of games and with adult content. The graphics and animations are awesome so as the faces (love the beard dude). I have no doubt that this is the goty of 2012, not those **** unlimited franchises that are all years the same game.
  77. Sep 5, 2013
    Despite its minor technical issues regarding the engine, bugs, and glitches, the game manages to impress on all fronts. The action is engaging and loads of fun even when it gets slightly frustrating. The music is great and compliments the atmosphere perfectly. The various masks are also a nice addition.
  78. Dec 24, 2012
    Super fun. Not too long, but I got a good 6 hours out of it. I love the art style. Everyone agrees the music is great.

The game is a trip. Surreal story, immersing style and setting, addictive gameplay. I paid $5 for it, and I would have paid more.
  79. Mar 21, 2013
    Well, this game is nowhere near as hyped online, but it's still good for some good ol smashing. Visually, a retro look is becoming quite normal and is starting to get pretty old, but it's fitting for the plot. Learning the mouse is a pain at first, but after a while you get the hang of it. Enemies are ruthless, and I love the challenge. Trying again is as easy as hitting "r', so it's easy to keep going. Everyone kept hyping the music too. I didn't think it was much to sneeze at, but hey, that's how it goes. It wasn't thrilling, but it felt, once again, for the plot. Worth a shot, I'd say no more than $5 worth though. Expand
  80. Dec 2, 2012
    Great music, very atmospheric and controls are great. The feeling you get when you throw a knife across the room or blow somebody's head into pieces feels so good! Pick this game up, you will not regret it.
  81. Jan 16, 2014
    A gaming masterpiece.

I picked this bad boy up on Steam yesterday for $2.49 but even at its full price of $10 I wouldn't have been disappointed. A brutally tough and gory retro romp through a psychedelic 80's Miami. What's not to love?

The audio is sensational. The various weapons and sound effects are crisp and as for the musical score? It's available as a standalone purchase if
    that's any indication of the quality ;)

The graphical style is a tip-of-the-hat to yesteryear gaming - there's even a pixelated NES hooked up in the protagonist's, bedroom. When you consider this game was developed by a team of two men and the finished product we have is a refresh of an old game concept put on a 'maybe pile,' any commenters that suggest this game is merely a 'hipster' money grab have made their opinion null and void.

Gameplay wise, I couldn't help but be reminded of True Lies for the SNES, but the unforgiving enemies and one-hit (for the most part) kills have a Smash TV vibe to them. But this game is unique. You can approach a stage a number of ways, by perhaps either stealthily knifing everyone as their back is turned, or trying to funnel enemies through a choke point with 6 shotgun rounds at the ready. In later levels you'll need every trick in the book to make through alive.

In summary, if you like a challenge and some good old fashioned violence, buy this game!
  82. Nov 25, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant game, surefire candidate for game of the year next to The Walking Dead. The game is very well planned, mechanics unique, and the game itself is completely unique. Soundtrack is great and fits perfectly, and this incredible playability. As for the story at the beginning of it at all does not feel - I just perform some tasks masked guests. At one point, after a certain event, but I will not say what because I do not want to do spoilers, the game turns upside down and the story would normally dent in the seat or chair, depending on where we sit. Many may not like the pixel visuals, but to me it just did not bother and I think the graphics are very well matched. I would recommend to anyone, especially to players who like to play an independent and tactical game, because these species are undoubtedly the work. Expand
  83. Jun 10, 2013
    Yes it's indie, yes the grains suck, and yes it's a great game. It seems most people are bashing it solely on its graphics and indieness, but that's shallow. This is a very good game with a little bit of stealth, action, and tactics.
  84. Jun 5, 2013
    I get it. The style of this game really delivers with what it set out to be. An 80's gruesome bloody shlock. It does just that though, then just stops. After half an hour I felt I had saw everything Hotline Miami had to show. Which is really a shame.

I would recommend it, as what it does provide is quite enjoyable and unique. Shame it doesn't delve deeper.
  85. Dec 7, 2012
    I think this game is a very interesting mix of modern and retro. You have this pumping modern soundtrack with 80's visual design and modern gameplay. It's hard like old games, but not unfair like old, bad games. It's easy to pick up and each floor is like a checkpoint.
    The simple but disturbing Dayid Lynch-esque backstory is really the icing on the cake.
  86. Nov 25, 2012
    This game is the most brutal addictive game I've played this year. The storyline is good and fun but the best part is the soundtrack as it ads to Hotline Miami's feel. You play as jacket as he gets messages through his answering machine you fallow his brutal violent lifestyle. You kill by knocking them down with your fists though you can get guns and alot of melee weapons to smash your way through this version of Miami. Plus you can now use your Xbox controller. Expand
  87. Feb 23, 2013
    Hotline Miami is much more than what it appears to be. At first, it may seem a random 2D shooter game and that's it.
    You will kill (and die) a lot in this game, but that's definitely not all there is.
    Incredible as it may seem, it has a complex narrative. At first, there is no way to have an idea of what is going on, what you are doing and why, but gradually the pieces will fall into
    place, but not in a simple linear fashion.
    The environment of the 80's Miami is very beautiful and colorful and fits well with that era. And expect to see blood everywhere, yours and your enemies'.
    The music is incredible and also reflects well the atmosphere of the time besides the climate of the situations you face.

But the great jewel of the game is it's the gameplay.
    You can kill your enemies in countless different ways and with different types of weapons.
    In addition, you gain masks that give you special abilities that can be used to strengthen their playing style.
    The response of the controls is very fast, like the action, half a second of hesitation and you're dead.
    The game is not easy, and you will probably have to repeat some the missions several times, but it recognizes that, therefore the respawn is imediate.

For it's tipification, the game would have everything to be a frustrating experience, but quite on the contrary by all the factors cited here Hotline Miami becomes a very relaxing experience.
  88. Aug 24, 2013
    A really silly game. Which also has bad graphics. Which also has really warped humor. Which is also kind of mediocre and very much 1987 in terms of design. Give this a miss probably unless you really like this style.

THE GROT REVIEW CRITERIA: After a long time writing reviews like an anus, think its time to set a few bad habits straight: Stop insulting designers. Show some respect for
    the design process and getting games in circulation. Hence (1) No Red scores. (2) Game scores as follows: Bad Game 5/10. Poor Game 6/10. Mediocre Game: 7/10. Good Game 8/10. Great game 9/10. Stella Game 10/10. To get 10/10 it must be a game that can be (theoretically) play-able for 1000+ hours. Not only great but near endless fun. Games may be bad or poor but making them should earn respect. Thus even the worst POS will still be a 5/10. 0/10 no longer exists in my vocabulary. Yellow is the new red. For the sake of accountability: you can reply if needed: Orctowngrot: Tim Rawlins: timtimjp@yahoo.com Expand
  89. Dec 3, 2012
    Hotline Miami is an excellent game. The game's artistic direction is great - the moment you turn the game on, you'll be sucked into it's universe, and it will be difficult to let go. It's like playing a bizarre music video. The colorful but gritty graphics seem to dance to it's pumping soundtrack

The controls are easy to get and the game mechanics will soon lead you to a sequence of
    combos, and the game will reward you for your boldness and suicidal tactics. The masks you can choose can make a difference, so this game ain't no trial-and-error as some guys say. Some levels I would go all John Rambo on one moment, and in the other, I would catch a knife and give the enemies a Michael Myers slash-fest.

The stealth level is a tad frustrating, but not THAT much. If you make good use of your 'look ahead' action, it will help you a lot.

I highly recommend this to everyone!
  90. Mar 22, 2013
    Bought this game on sale for a few dollars. Wasn't really expecting much, but I had read some good things. Anyway...sooooooo much fun and very challenging. Love it.
  91. Nov 6, 2012
    Not everyone is going to "get" Hotline Miami - it's difficult, the graphics are purposefully out-dated, and the story is just bizarre (imagine if Drive were directed by David Lynch). Just like Lynch's films, Hotline Miami isn't a game for the mainstream hordes, it's most likely going to attract a niche market - and like most independent films and games it offers a solitary experience like no other game. If you become accustomed to the difficulty, and get drawn into the mystery behind the story, then this game is incredibly addictive and is well worth your time, patience and effort. Expand
  92. Nov 7, 2012
    Gameplay, music, atmosphere, difficulty, story i give 10 for that. Maybe graphics are retro style but i love retro games so i give 10 for that aswell ;D Game is amazing it isGOTY for me, playing it gave me more fun than anything that come out this year, and i play alot... Game developers needs to play this game and learn, stop doing re-skins, fancy looking games with **** gameplay, and tons of crap that come out recently... This game ROX so much i recomend it to anyone. Expand
  93. Nov 11, 2012
    Hotline Miami is a good game, and a great game for the price. 10 bucks is about on average 2 dvd movie rentals, and it provides far more entertainment than that. While the game is simple in it's execution and style, it delivers with it's sheer madness and fun of solving the best way to beat a level. It is re-playable as well once you learn the intricacies of the game and how hard or how easy it is to do things a certain way. I found myself at one point trying to use only melee weapons. It's a bit harder but very satisfying. Plus as you progress you unlock different weapons an masks. Different masks can tailor the experience for your play style. One makes executions swift, another lets dogs ignore you, a fast walk mask. There are many and I still have more to unlock. The varied weapons you have and how unforgiving mistakes are make this game a true gem. It's nice when a game can infuriate you one minute then give you sheer delight the next. It truly is an experience. If you are looking to kill some time, this is a great way to do it. This is very much worth the asking price. Expand
  94. Nov 12, 2012
    This game is awesome.!
    Every level has some kind of new situation where you have to think about your strategy, its pretty brutal in fact both in difficulty levels and in gameplay style. The best soundtrack I heard for a really long time, and art-style is amazing! The story makes you think about your actions in the game, and it ever reaches the point where you're getting uncomfortable with
    killing pixels. Also there`s a lot of blood. It's not perfect though, the boss battles seem to be more trial and error than anything else, and the dialog scenes at the last boss were a pain since they started over when you died there. Expand
  95. Nov 14, 2012
    Excellent old-school game with atmosphere of GTA1 and SVGA vintage style. Best for hardcore gamers who get tired from modern games. Market is full of retro-platformers but this is something different and will please virtually anyone.
  96. Dec 3, 2012
    I got far more out of this than I was expecting.

I respect this game for being retro not just for the sake of being retro. The retro graphics suit the overall feel of the 1980's setting and the amazing soundtrack (also retro) hits the sweet spot. At first I thought there was no real story to the game, but as I pressed harder, I got a hold of what the developers were trying to achieve
    and jumped down the bunny hole in no time flat. I don't want to spoil anything for you, so I'll let you figure out what's going on. I can tell you one thing: once you finish a chapter, the music cuts out as you're forced to walk back to your car through hordes of dead bodies. You really start to ponder your character's motives and his reasons for answering all of these random calls, even after he throws up out of sheer disgust at what he did during the first chapter. By far the most interesting aspect of the game though is the gameplay. You have to use everything you can find to your advantage, especially since both you and your enemies have a one-hit kill lifespan. The stealth isn't great, but you do have to time your moves and predict when enemies will rush out (and I mean RUSH OUT) or shoot you. Like you can do to your enemies, your enemies can kill you in the blink of an eye. You. Will. Die. Countless. Times. You can take out other baddies with guns at ease, but since guns are so loud, they attract the attention of people surrounding you. You'd want to use melee weapons as much as you can, but only they can get you so far. Enough of me rambling, here's my bottom line: If retro fast-paced action strategy games with a compelling and fantastically thought-out plot and narration suit you, then this game comes highly recommended. Expand
  97. Dec 18, 2012
    Hotline Miami is my GOTY. I was a late adopter, and originally pretty skeptical of the high reviews; the gameplay clips didn't really sell it for me. I had a number of friends who encouraged me to purchase the game, telling me I'd love the story and style. I gambled my $10 and it paid off, bigtime!

It's a slick game, wonderful controls, fast-paced and really a rewarding experience when
    you beat a difficult level or stage. I am usually not into these types of face-paced trial-and-error arcade games, but this is the exception for me. At times it plays like a puzzle game (timing and approach is key, and can make or break a good run), other times it feels like Grand Theft Auto, running and gunning and spewing carnage.

The story is a mix of Kafka, Refn, and Kubrick and really appeals to me. It's not everybody's favourite flavour, but if you even think this kind of surrealist hyper-violence would appeal, then it absolutely will. Not to mention the glorious soundtrack that just reinforces every design decision in the game.

This game has made me take serious notice of the developers, Dennaton Games. I will absolutely buy the sequel/DLC to Hotline Miami, I will likely purchase their previous works, and will be paying close attention to their future endeavours. The only reason it gets 9/10 and not 10/10 is... I need to leave them SOME room to impress me more!

Don't Miss this game!
  98. Jan 26, 2013
    This is way more than a game, this is an inspiration! This is a game that makes you feel in a way that you can't describe.

Gameplay - 10/10
    Soundtrack - 10/10
    Storyline - 10/10
    Art style - 10/10

This is pure art. The developers are genius!
  99. Dec 23, 2012
    As well as being an incredibly exciting game which very smoothly brings puzzle elements into the top-down combat model it adopts, this is an arty and fascinating exploration of the psychopath. Don't let anyone tell you it's wrong to enjoy this game, it's intelligently designed and I had a great time.
  100. Dec 28, 2012
    Okay, the game is just AMAZING. 10/10. BUT you should be aware that there are problems with steam achievements right now, sometimes AI seems really stupid and there is no in-game support of steam overlay. Devs are working on these issues. Other than that, awesome game.
  101. Oct 29, 2012

From the get-go, Miami’s presentation has a unique style, with vivid colors, generous amounts of post-process filtering and a stunning soundtrack (you will just let the game play on, only to hear the tracks). But at the same time, all notions of continuous fast-paced action gameplay disappear. Hotline Miami is essentially a top-down stealth game, that rewards the player with imaginative (and quite violent) kill animations. [January 2013]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    A stylish slice of retro carnage. This is the bloodiest, least forgiving game of the year. [Jan 2013, p.85]
  3. Dec 17, 2012