8.4

1. AWG
    Jul 19, 2013
    Hotline Miami starts from a good point but it fails to deliver a continuosly interesting game experience. It's not like you're playing BIT.TRIP RUNNER (i.e. you die 45 times in a row, spend one hour on one, single level, finally beat it and feel like a God): here you die 45 times in a row, spend one hour on one, single map, finally beat it and you feel like an idiot for wasting so much time of your life. I guess it's just a matter of atmosphere; they wanted them to be stylish and witty but in the end they're pretty plain. Expand
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Drug-fueled Tactical Espionage Action in the 80s. You have to beat each level without being hit, rewarding stealth and planning versus run & gun. While short, it's a very unique action game and worth picking up at a reduced price.
  3. Aug 9, 2013
    Addictive, bloody and fast-paced action. Cool retro design. A clever and engaging story. And a great soundtrack on top of it all. An awesome gaming experience that doesn't require a top-notch PC to play it. My only complaint is that it felt a bit short.
  4. Aug 2, 2013
    Unique perspective and approach to the classical style of retro-walkie shooter. However, the gameplay comes down to your reaction skill run and slash that's all there is in this game. Found it really boring and frustrating after one hour of playing. Waste of money.
  5. Dec 10, 2012
    INDIE GAME OF THE YEAR FTW, Great music soundtrack, Brilliantine gritty knife throwing game play, engading and interesting story, AN ORIGINAL CONCEPT DIFFIDENTLY WORTH ALL YOUR MONEYS
  6. Aug 24, 2013
    A really silly game. Which also has bad graphics. Which also has really warped humor. Which is also kind of mediocre and very much 1987 in terms of design. Give this a miss probably unless you really like this style.

THE GROT REVIEW CRITERIA: After a long time writing reviews like an anus, think its time to set a few bad habits straight: Stop insulting designers. Show some respect for
    the design process and getting games in circulation. Hence (1) No Red scores. (2) Game scores as follows: Bad Game 5/10. Poor Game 6/10. Mediocre Game: 7/10. Good Game 8/10. Great game 9/10. Stella Game 10/10. To get 10/10 it must be a game that can be (theoretically) play-able for 1000+ hours. Not only great but near endless fun. Games may be bad or poor but making them should earn respect. Thus even the worst POS will still be a 5/10. 0/10 no longer exists in my vocabulary. Yellow is the new red. For the sake of accountability: you can reply if needed: Orctowngrot: Tim Rawlins: timtimjp@yahoo.com Expand
  7. Jan 2, 2013
    Hotline Miami just oozes with atmosphere. The soundtrack is amazing and the simple graphical style looks surprisingly great. The story and setting is bizarre and grotesque and its casual use of extreme violence really sets the mood in place. The gameplay works great in its simplicity and it is as rewarding as it is challenging to succeed in the perfect way. The game has some minor flaws. Checkpoints placed before cutscenes is one of them. Its biggest flaw if you can call it a flaw is that the game isn't very long. Most will probably beat the game in about 5 hours or less. But if you take into account the very low cost of this game that is hardly a real problem. And i would wholeheartedly recommend everyone to pick this one up since the game offers some really quality gameplay for a cheap price. Expand
  8. Nov 1, 2013
    Its simple and fun and definitely on my list for Indie game of the year. It just feels like an 80's exploitation film, and reminds me of a lot of crime films from the time. Its easy to get addicted in its clever gameplay and you'll never get tired of cracking a dude over the head with a baseball bat, or finding other gruesome ways to kill your opponents.
  9. Sep 5, 2013
    Despite its minor technical issues regarding the engine, bugs, and glitches, the game manages to impress on all fronts. The action is engaging and loads of fun even when it gets slightly frustrating. The music is great and compliments the atmosphere perfectly. The various masks are also a nice addition.
  10. Jul 19, 2013
    Awesome Indie game!
    I loved the theme and story of this game, they were really well done. They could not have done any better at creating an old school/retro feel to the game.
    The gameplay/combat is basically "trial and error." It can be challenging at first, because it is extremely unique, but it grows on you.
    This has become my go-to game when I don't have a lot of time but need to be
    violent for a few minutes.
    I want so badly to give this game a 10/10. But at a base price of 10 bucks, I have to chop a point off for lack of content vs. price.
  11. Feb 28, 2013
    One of the best games at this genre nowadays. Interesting story combined with a great gameplay und awesome soundtrack.
  12. Jun 16, 2013
    Hotline Miami is a brutal top-down shooter where you're instructed to kill a whole bunch of people and you really don't know why. The game is incredibly unsettling, between the genocide, the creepy music, the graphics that look like a terrible VHS recording, the terrible sense of increasing loneliness and desperation, and the sense that maybe all of it isn't real, even by the game's standards.

The gameplay is tough. The action is frantic, since one shot kills you and enemies move quickly, yet requires a lot of planning as you decide how to take on heavily-guarded buildings. The harder battles are ridiculously difficult. The sound is creepy and very fitting. The graphics are simple 2D, but the aesthetic is also unsettling. The controls are tough to get used to, but ultimately work most of the time. The story's somewhat minimal, but the story that is there is very interesting.

I think this game is worth the $10 purchase, and if this looks interesting to you, I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you enjoy it, there's a lot of replayability here too. Definitely get it if it's on sale. The soundtrack is very good, but it's not exactly feel-good music. Either way, consider picking up the soundtrack too.
  13. Mar 18, 2014
    Mad game, I love it. The animals masks, bloody idea. The characters are psychos. The dialogues at the start: "I'm here to show you how to kill people". I recommend this game. It feels dangerous and It's completely insane.
  14. Feb 9, 2013
    For a small little game that focuses mainly on gameplay you'd think they don't make it repetitive. But they did. You get bored of rooms and rooms of bad guys which you have to kill by positioning yourself well and mashing space or whatever. The story is pretty dull too in my opinion. A pretty disappointing game after what I expected seeing those reviews and ratings.
  15. Jan 17, 2013
    Great game for satisfying the blood lust that my soul, blackened from violent videogames and Arnold Schwarzenegger movies, so desperately craves. Great as a birthday present.
  16. Aug 6, 2013
    With a really good story and a dark environment, Hotline Miami is a very fast pace, top down shooter. With old school 16-bit graphics it looks awesome, the music is very unique and different for each level. There is not much I can say about this game because there are so many spoilers so I will leave you with some advice, PLAY THIS GAME!!!!!!!!
  17. Feb 14, 2013
    This has got to be one of the best games I have played in quite a while. There are many games that offer great gameplay but the stories are usually the very simple, easy to understand nonsense that is also present in all blockbuster movies. And with Hotline Miami, one doesn't just get a pathetic, half-assed attempt at something more complex and meaningful but actually a complete one. For the movie lovers: think Inception vs. Memento.
    As for the awesome music and art style and everything else... that's covered in so many reviews already...
    There are only two minor gripes I have with the game: Enemies often can't be hit when they stand very close to you (although that may be because one's weapon reaches through them.... there usually isn't enough time to analyze this...). And there are no online leaderboards. Which is really a damn shame for a game with a score system as this one. Then again... making people hunt high scores just for the fun of it may not even be what the developers had in mind?
  18. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is just fun. I don't dig this retro craze as much as most people, but don't get me wrong, this game is bags of fun. Killing people in stylish combo-ey manners hasn't been this frustrating, challenging but just so much adrenaline this game makes you feel like you're on a roller coaster ride. This music just adds so much flavour into this game. I cannot give it anymore high praise. Fun and not to mention reasonably priced Expand
  19. Jan 2, 2013
    It's a great time for Hotline Miami to stand between the indie games, as lots of them are getting rewarded by its premise (The Walking Dead and Journey for example). These games were acclaimed by their compelling story or beautiful imagery. The problem is this game doesn't have any beautiful images or an interesting story. You just have to do one thing: KILL. That's right! Remember GTA and GTA II, well, this is exactly the same. Hotline Miami is a fun game, but it's not as original as it claims to be. The gameplay is simple. Kill everything that moves quickly before it kills you. You can grab guns and knives and you can throw some weapons too. Each head will reward us with sort of XP Points and at the end of the level we will see our efficiency. Cool, right? Now, the story. You are a man who dreams about other men with masks talking to each other about you. You wake up, you get a phone call about the "job" you have to do, and once you do the "job" you go to a bar and drink. It gets repetitive. Really repetitive. But this games is all about fun. Hotline Miami is a little bit of GTA mixed with the "Do it fast" theme of Bloody Trapland. The game, though, still is fun to play. Trying to improve our record will have us replaying levels many times, and even though it doesn't have a long duration, we have lots of level. Prepare to die...a lot! Hotline Miami's difficulty is insane. You must be fast, and good, and tactical. You have to look well before getting into trouble. Hotline Miami has those 2D RPG graphics that got lost in the past, but that look so stylish it's impossible not to fall in love with them again. It's also cheerfully violent. The fun, the style and gameplay of the game is what makes it worth it, enough for a good 7. Expand
  20. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is fun, and the tension is good. The soundtrack is particularly interesting as it is modern, but still manages to capture the flavor of chiptune without the grating tinny sound. The graphics are of Commodore 64 quality -- and this isn't an exaggeration -- so I can't really say anything good about them. But the game's greatest weaknesses are its repetitiveness and linearity. The levels are all different and progressively more difficult, but only in the way that levels in Sokoban change: ultimately, they are the same thing, but just organized differently. Which is ok. It works. But it isn't spectacular. Some people love the instant death without penalty (one shot kills you, but you just restart the level), but I find that it ruins the tactical aspect of the game. Instead of planning out your moves and playing it intelligently, you'll find that it's a lot easier just to do trial and error. One of the first things the game tells you is, "don't be afraid to die," and pretty early into the game, you really won't be and that detracts a bit from the mood. But for all its flaws, my overall impression is positive. The game does what it's supposed to do: it entertains. Just buy it when it's on sale. Expand
  21. Dec 7, 2012
    I think this game is a very interesting mix of modern and retro. You have this pumping modern soundtrack with 80's visual design and modern gameplay. It's hard like old games, but not unfair like old, bad games. It's easy to pick up and each floor is like a checkpoint.
    The simple but disturbing Dayid Lynch-esque backstory is really the icing on the cake.
  22. Feb 20, 2014
    This thing hit all the right spots. It's retro and it's new, it's challenging and it's fun, it's serious and it's not, it's linear and it's subversive, it's atmospheric to the point of mysticism and it's actually crude reality. All the elements of the game from the graphics to the music to the plot to the gameplay mix together so well it's, pardon the pun, criminal. Plus, for an indie 2d game this has some shockingly realistic combat mechanics! Think about it: this is exactly what would happen if you burst into a building full of mafia thugs.

...minus the retry button.
  23. Nov 20, 2012
    Loud, violent, pulpy and bizarre, Hotline Miami submerges you in a sublime audio/visual state of trance that will make your head spin and leaves you craving for more!
  24. Jan 6, 2013
    Hotline Miami is a good game but the graphics is really bad. The story was great although the game can be finished pretty quickly (4-5 hours in my case).
  25. Jun 21, 2013
    I felt like I was playing NeoGeo... controls were perfect... it just had this real arcade feel to it. I dig it. There are a lot of negative reviews that piss me off... learn how to play the game before you diss it. There's some serious strategy here and the fun factor and replay value is high. The colors, the music, the way it feels, can't be ufcked with.

Three top games in the last
    however many years: Shadow Complex, Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac, and Hotline Miami.

Werd to your moms.
  26. Dec 7, 2012
    It's a top down shooter. You'll get bored of this like you got bored of Smash tv or the old Gauntlet games. Not that this is a bad game, it isn't, just this has all been done before.
  27. Jan 21, 2014
    Let me break it all to you guys, this game is for those who enjoy: 1) GTA I & II, 2) Psychodelic/Progressive Music, 3) Arcade rush, 4) Arcade Graphics

Pure 80's/90's awesome.
  28. Oct 28, 2012
    It's sadistic fun at its best. Think super meat boy in top-down shmup with awesome 80s disco soundtrack and some weird tripping story interludes. A game that rewards you for perfectly timing smashing through a door, jumping on someone's face, bashing it in, taking their baseball bat, throwing it into the next room at a mobster's head, taking his gun, then shooting his friend in the room that is rushing at you with a crowbar. Then he wakes up from his daze and you pop him in the head, then all hell breaks loose as every single enemy on the map proceeds to enter the room you are in, and you only have 4 bullets remaining in this auto shotgun... so you hold back behind a corner of the doorway as they rush in "CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK" goes your mouse, and "BAM BAM BAM BAM" goes your shotgun... there's bloody mess EVERYWHERE but there's one guy left and he's running in with an assault rifle.... so instead you right click... and your autoshotgun goes flying across the room in your single last chance of faith in the game.... knocks the bodyguard out and then you storm him and jump on his face and keep bashing away until he stops moving and the last breathe of air escapes his now-limp corpse. Then a voice yells "GO BACK TO THE CAR!" while the smooth 80s disco beat continues to kick in. Oh how sexy you feel. If that sounds like your kind of game. GET ON BOARD Expand
  29. Feb 19, 2013
    It's unique. You have to try to kill everyone on the floor without taking a single hit, otherwise you die and have to start that floor all over. So it's not exactly a top-down shooter/hack an slash game since you have to try to perfect each section without even getting hit, it's almost more of a puzzle game, but it's hard to place this down in a genre. The presentation is very ugly, but that's intentional, it adds to the style. The music is notable as well. If you're interested, it's worth checking out. Expand
  30. Oct 24, 2012
    I can handle top-down shooters. I can handle terrible eye-straining graphics, I can even handle trial and error gameplay, but one thing I will never understand is when everyone in the game has a life meter but you. For the life of me you will die, no less then 300 times, in ONE-SINGLE-HIT with anything even a door. Yet enemies take two, three, sometimes five hits to die. The screen rotates as you move, it shakes constantly and the controls are completely broken. It would have been a hit in the year it's taking place in (1989) but for 2012, the eye strain, the aggravation and the urge to drive to the developers and beat them within two inches of their lives is not worth it, and $9.99 is defiantly not worth it. Again yet another pile of trash that will go straight to the top of the charts. Expand
  31. Jwv
    Jan 9, 2014
    Hotline Miami's simplistic graphics and concept feels refreshing in a time where a lot of releases focus on complex game mechanics and life-like graphics. Simple but one of the most addictive games I ever played. I also liked the myriad of approaches to each level, especially with the masks, that makes for a high replay factor. A confusing and open storyline, but that just let's you focus on the nutty gameplay more. Utterly fun. Expand
  32. Jun 25, 2013
    Bizarre, fast paced, and gory in the best way possible. A little annoyingly difficult at moments but that's not neccessarily a bad thing. A very good game, not the best ever, but very good.
  33. Dec 2, 2012
    Great music, very atmospheric and controls are great. The feeling you get when you throw a knife across the room or blow somebody's head into pieces feels so good! Pick this game up, you will not regret it.
  34. Nov 25, 2012
    I usually buy games on sale but after I listened to the whole soundtrack for hotline miami I purchased it for full price. If you don't dig the vibe after watching the trailer then I would say save your money. The game starts out fairly challenging but once you figure out the little details to the gameplay then it becomes moderately easy. The game is about tactically clearing rooms and doing it over and over again till you get it right. Sometimes you will wait and take things step by step, other times you will know exactly what to do and go in swinging/shooting. Again, if you watch the trailer and don't like the graphics or hate the music don't get the game. Also if you don't like challenging games then don't get this game. Expand
  35. Jan 16, 2013
    Hotline Miami is a fun but difficult game in which you sweep through levels from a top down view and kill everyone you find. One well placed bullet or lucky swing by an enemy is enough to kill you but respawning is simply a matter of pressing a button and then you're set to try and clear out the floor again. The visuals are eye-bleedingly retro neon and the soundtrack is pretty good. The mask system allows you to choose what minor perks your character will have, though why anyone would use anything other than the mask that makes gunshots silent is beyond me. The one tip I would suggest is make liberal use of the auto target feature as it will point you in the direction of offscreen enemies and clue you in to their locations to avoid any nasty surprises. Expand
  36. Nov 5, 2013
    Finally, we have an indie game that gets it. I can't say I'm surprised some people hate this game, and I thought I was going to hate it too, but I actually like it. It's got a methodical pace that you wouldn't expect from a "top-down shooter" as some "remarkably gifted" reviewer claimed it was. Also, awesome soundtrack.
  37. Jun 20, 2013
    Pretty great game. You can tell its indie though. The soundtrack is fantastic. The art style and animations are great. The story was pretty cool, weird and novel. The gameplay is kind of niche: you will have to play the same level many times often until you finish it. So, the game involves memorization. The repeated play has some issues, because there's some levels that have "new" game mechanics that are sometimes not obvious to figure out, resulting in a lot of play throughs up to this one point until you figure it out (I think they should have offered gameplay tips at these obstacles). Some combat bugs, such as doors getting in the way of bullets oddly, which can become very frustrating, and the hit detection sometimes being odd. Expand
  38. Dec 8, 2013
    Pros: -Simple and challenging gameplay -The challenge isn't frustrating as much as it is motivating -Good soundtrack -Lot of sprite on sprite violence. Cons: -Gameplay is rather repetitive -Story kind of fizzles out and the end is just thrown in last minute. -7 hours long...or less if youre better at video games than me Conclusion: While gameplay is repetitive it never really feels repetitive. The challenge always keeps it interesting even though you're basically doing the same thing (killing everybody in the room) every level. If you enjoy older style of games like asteroid, pacman, and space invaders where it's the same thing every level but just on a different map or with slight tweaks then you'll love this. For some reason it reminds me of the movie "Drive" with Ryan Gosling. Expand
  39. Jul 30, 2013
    Smash people with various tools to create a mighty retro violent rampage and sing along with the lovely tunes of this game. Available now for Sega Dreamcast.
  40. May 29, 2013
    An excellent little indie game with an astonishingly good soundtrack, interesting plot, and great game play. I couldn't stop playing until I completed it, which took me about 3 hours, but for only a few dollars this is entirely worth the short play time.
  41. Dec 25, 2012
    A lot better then I expected!!! I have so far only played a bit but I have enjoyed it all so far. The retro style is done well. 8 bit graphics aside I would have liked them to be a bit crisper. The pixels themselves actually looked grainy as well. The game play is tough. This is a game of trail and error and could induce someone to rage quit (depending on their sensibilities). MUSIC. The music is probably the best part of the game. It really does set the mood by either pumping you up for a lot violence or regretting the horrible crimes you just committed. All in all it is worth the $10... but if you find it sale (umm ... Steam) just buy it, you won't regret it. Expand
  42. Jan 4, 2013
    It's not great, but it seems to do what it intended to... It's a Nintendo hard game in the overdone retro style. The only way it could be more cliche is if the enemies were zombies.
  43. Aug 21, 2013
    A Subversive, disturbing, addictive game and packaged with an unrivaled soundtrack that produces a not-entirely-stable altered state in my brain. It's 180 proof distillation of 80's Miami Vice nostalgia, pseudo 12bit gaming, gore-a-fied violence, and corset tight gameplay combined with neurosis inducing difficulty.

It also digs into the narrative and psychology of wearing masks (do you
    wear the mask, or does it wear you?) and on whether questions need to be answered to provide a compelling story.

And the music? My god. From wild spaced out country-influenced-dub, to psychotic driving electro and exposed-nerve disco. The music will be slithering around in your brain long after your eyes lose their bloodshot state you gained from playing the game.

Even in a year with some incredible releases like Mass Effect 3 and Walking Dead, this is my Game of the Year for 2012.

...It makes me want to buy a mask.
  44. May 13, 2013
    This game is a 10 out of 10, because it´s giving you goosebumps with its soundtrack, gameplay, gore, design and story. It´s polished, it´s the personification of the 80´s. Ever wanted a real Miami game, a cold gory fascinating, rewarding game? Something perfect like this is rare. This is an important game of this generation. Watch Drive play Hotline Miami and maybe some GTA Vice City. There was a time people felt great, the 80´s. Best Movies, best music, beaches, it gives you such a nostalgic feeling even if you are not from the 80´s. It´s incredible. No bugs, perfect, challenging gameplay, addiction to the soundtrack, Awesome and fair Level Design. This game is like Metro or Stalker. The atmosphere will grab you and you will never forget this game! BUY IT! BUY IT NOW! Expand
  45. Nov 7, 2013
    Hotline gives you a different game-play style. I wish there was a CO-OP mode also, but it is still perfect game in Singleplayer. You can not compare Hotline Miami with any other game. It is unique in these days i think. It brings some good memories from "old days". And you never get bored, but sometimes, you just feel that, missions repeat themselves. Still a good game.
  46. Sep 30, 2013
    First let me say this is one of those games that is exactly what is advertised, and executes it perfectly, so the only reason to play it and hate it is if you're braindead, read the description, watch the video and say wow I totally wont like this game but ill buy it anyway so that i can be a giant COQ. This is just one of those great games, the kind that aren't very long but makes you love every second you have with it. Don't let the retro graphics fool you, the game play is fast paced murder disco cocaine party! You may try to be all tactical on your fist run, but then you'll die a few times and just say, fuk this and charge in, which ends up working way better. Now its a punishing game where you die A LOT but the game restarts the floor for you before you have time to say OH COQ. I see way to many people trying to compare it to instead of just enjoying it for what it is. Expand
  47. Dec 27, 2013
    Excellent indie game with unforgiving yet still satisfyingly fun game mechanics and a surprisingly good soundtrack. A friend of mine compared it to a Tarantino film, which is a worthy assessment.
  48. Jan 31, 2014
    Probably the best game I have ever played! As of writing this review, this is the only game I would give 10/10 to. PROS: +The controls are tight and well flowing. +The story is interesting, and makes you think more than you would expect an arcade style game to make you. +The soundtrack is one of the best I have ever heard! +It is so satisfying for even the most simple of kills - not to mention how amazing it feels when you finally beat a level.
    +It is very difficult, which normally annoys me a tad-bit, but this game adds re-playability through it's extreme difficulty.
    +The simple graphics make it easy to continue through the game; what I mean is the kills make you cringe in the 2D style - imagine if it was 3D and realistic! Yuck!
    CONS:
    -I don't know, maybe you don't like the colors?
  49. Feb 8, 2014
    Many of my reviews are just for jokes and fun, but I want to be serious with this. This game is amazing. Simply stunning. The music, art and game play all combine and what it produces is spectacular. The story is very deep, and may require several breakthroughs to fully understand.

Phenomenal, Ten out of Ten. Utterly amazing, this is a must buy.
  50. Mar 11, 2014
    It's got the Kill Bill style bloody weaponised mass murder expertly merged with the very up close, personal, drug-fueled ultra violence from A Clockwork Orange.
  51. Oct 26, 2012
    Excellent game. The tension, the artistry, the speed, the strategy... A commendable and highly artistic rendation and critique of violence in popular media and an immense retro throwback make this game an instant cult hit. Granted, it's not for everyone but if you like vintage, tongue in cheeck humor and the 80's... go play it!
  52. Oct 29, 2012
    Ultraviolence, through and through.. just splendid for those who have the stomach. as far as game mechanics go, for me it took a little time to get used to, but the learning curve can be pretty steep, and it will definately sharpen your reflexes. ive beat the game, but i still want to unlock all the secrets and the alternative endings. not to mention the mask.. all in all its a true bargain. you get way more fun out of it, than you put money in. 9/10 Expand
  53. Jun 10, 2013
    Yes it's indie, yes the grains suck, and yes it's a great game. It seems most people are bashing it solely on its graphics and indieness, but that's shallow. This is a very good game with a little bit of stealth, action, and tactics.
  54. Nov 27, 2012
    This game is superb beyond mere mortal words. It along with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 & Max Payne 3 are my games of the year. The music is a pure eargasm & combined with the flawless strategic gameplay puts you in a murderous trance. It's like Manhunt, Crossed with the 8 bit games Spy Vs Spy, Elevator Action, with a dash of Tetris in spirit of the puzzle & flow. The violence would make Mortal Kombat blush. Never has looking through a mentally broken man's masked hazed vision been so rewarding, Story is among the best. The combined artistry from one developer murks whole multimillion dollar corporations efforts. This 1 man swedish developer is a beast & deserves to become a millionaire. Buy this game now! I hope it comes out on PSN & XBox live. Suda-51 bow to the creator of Hotline Miami he took your title of madman of gaming & understands great game design. Expand
  55. Nov 4, 2012
    A personal favorite and personal indie GOTY, Hotline Miami allows you to relive the days of newgrounds and Xgenstudio's "Stickman Arena" with it's arcade, top-down, style. The gameplay isn't the only thing really mesmerizing about the title, though, the music was flawlessly chosen for the title to portray the feelings of the protagonist. Definitely cathartic and worth a try for anyone who can appreciate a retro style arcade title. Expand
  56. Nov 18, 2013
    I think this game made it to my top 10 its fast paced action old school graphics and has nice music. The theme of the game is also very good along with the 80s setting
  57. Nov 5, 2012
    80s graphics in a 2012 game. I know that hipsters and brain-dead people are gonna eat this up because "hurr-durr, it's indie", but this is pushing it.
  58. Apr 9, 2014
    Hotline Miami is a poor game that suffers from a long drag of trial and error approach. This game presents itself as a gritty, top down, action arcade game, but the game forces players to play exactly the way the game was supposed to be designed and leaves no room for spontaneity, experimentation or replay value.

It's only a matter of minutes before you understand the A.I. pathways and
    exploit it to reach the objective. Every level is exactly the same with no variation.

The story is juvenile at best. The music is mundane. And the trippy art style that constantly flashes colors at you and swerves the screen is literally sickening.

So much for a game made using 'Game Maker'... *sigh*
  59. Feb 24, 2014
    For a rich game company the graphics was so bad i thought it was pong. The gameplay sucks as bricks bounce about 4 times and nail people in the ass. Such a bad gamee, 10/10. Im going to go now because this game made me want to chop my big hairy willy off and eat my ball sacks.
  60. Jan 16, 2014
    A gaming masterpiece.

I picked this bad boy up on Steam yesterday for $2.49 but even at its full price of $10 I wouldn't have been disappointed. A brutally tough and gory retro romp through a psychedelic 80's Miami. What's not to love?

The audio is sensational. The various weapons and sound effects are crisp and as for the musical score? It's available as a standalone purchase if
    that's any indication of the quality ;)

The graphical style is a tip-of-the-hat to yesteryear gaming - there's even a pixelated NES hooked up in the protagonist's, bedroom. When you consider this game was developed by a team of two men and the finished product we have is a refresh of an old game concept put on a 'maybe pile,' any commenters that suggest this game is merely a 'hipster' money grab have made their opinion null and void.

Gameplay wise, I couldn't help but be reminded of True Lies for the SNES, but the unforgiving enemies and one-hit (for the most part) kills have a Smash TV vibe to them. But this game is unique. You can approach a stage a number of ways, by perhaps either stealthily knifing everyone as their back is turned, or trying to funnel enemies through a choke point with 6 shotgun rounds at the ready. In later levels you'll need every trick in the book to make through alive.

In summary, if you like a challenge and some good old fashioned violence, buy this game!
  61. Feb 21, 2013
    „Hotline Miami“ is a great ultrabrutal arcade shooter with fast pace action. With some unlockables and a heavy difficulty you simply cannot make something wrong. If you're not a moralizer, get this game!
  62. Jan 2, 2013
    Funny retro-looking game, but you have to be the king of hipster to even consider it a GREAT game. Wake up, guys. Nothing is "amazing" just because it's indie.
  63. Dec 7, 2012
    I'm fine with the 8-bit retro look. But there doesn't seem to be any real gameplay here. Just a very stylized look and increasingly graphic violence.

You pick up the weapon on the ground, and use it to kill the next guy. Then you repeat those 2 steps ad infinitum. Theres not even much of a puzzle to it. You just have to click faster than the enemy.
  64. Oct 23, 2012
    An excellent little indie title that is not without its flaws. Currently (at launch) there are some stability issues though the developers are fixing them as quickly as possible. Also, the stealth mission (mentioned in the Destructoid review) does really suck. Thankfully, the rest of the game makes up for it. It has one of the best soundtracks in any game I've played; I'll definitely be listening to it outside of the game.

The gameplay is fast paced and quite brutal but it requires you to be strategic or you'll quickly become overwhelmed. You can't zerg through this game, (nearly) everything kills you in a single hit. It isn't a very long game but what it offers is top notch (aside from that damn stealth level).
  65. Oct 23, 2012
    Hotline Miami is just as fun as it is punishing, that is to say that it's a whole lot of both. It's a top-down fmup (think shmup but extremely brutal) with a pretty heavy tactical element to it that keeps you thinking about how to approach every situation more and more efficiently each time you die--and you'll die an awful lot. Any enemy can kill you or knock you out in one hit, so you'll be trying one idea, failing, and then refining that idea a few times until you have that glorious satisfaction of overcoming all the odds against you. The level design is pretty complex and the enemies are varied enough that the trial-and-error gameplay doesn't become stale. There is almost always a genuine challenge (apart from two absolutely ridiculous boss battles and a pretty cheap stealth segment), making the "trial" in "trial-and-error" something really, really compelling. The AI isn't great at picking up on signs that you're in their midst, but if it was, the game would probably be absolutely impossible. The campaign follows a narrative that isn't very strong, but it's definitely something interesting. It complements the stressful gameplay with some really weird hallucinations that actually make you wonder what the hell is actually going on, and then, even though it's not very complex, it ties up loose ends in a pretty fascinating way. The graphics, despite the really ugly face drawings, are stylish and give off an extremely eighties vibe, though there are no options to turn off some features like screen sway, which will probably end up hurting the game's accessibility. The real aesthetic star is the soundtrack, though. For 2012, it's one of the absolute best game soundtracks, right up there with Vessel. Because of its extreme challenge, Hotline Miami is probably not a game for most people, but it's extremely good at what it does, and despite a few caveats it's one of the best games this year. Expand
  66. Dec 24, 2012
    Super fun. Not too long, but I got a good 6 hours out of it. I love the art style. Everyone agrees the music is great.

The game is a trip. Surreal story, immersing style and setting, addictive gameplay. I paid $5 for it, and I would have paid more.
  67. Mar 21, 2013
    Well, this game is nowhere near as hyped online, but it's still good for some good ol smashing. Visually, a retro look is becoming quite normal and is starting to get pretty old, but it's fitting for the plot. Learning the mouse is a pain at first, but after a while you get the hang of it. Enemies are ruthless, and I love the challenge. Trying again is as easy as hitting "r', so it's easy to keep going. Everyone kept hyping the music too. I didn't think it was much to sneeze at, but hey, that's how it goes. It wasn't thrilling, but it felt, once again, for the plot. Worth a shot, I'd say no more than $5 worth though. Expand
  68. Jun 20, 2013
    I can not understand the general enthusiasm about this game. This is not an innovative indie title, but a rude, ugly and violent trial-and-error fest.
  69. Oct 18, 2013
    Surprisingly, it's a very good game. It's really tense and difficult sometimes, but I can appreciate that. Controls are nice and responsive for a game like that. Violence is off the cart, so if you're against that, you should stay away. But who can be against that?))
    I didn't finish it so I don't understand the storyline that good, it was really cryptic for the first half of the game. But
    the art style and overall experience was great. I highly recommend that game. Expand
  70. Nov 10, 2013
    This game is one of the best games I have ever picked up on Steam! It is extremely addictive and the soundtrack is brilliant! The only bad thing about this game is that the storyline is very weak.
  71. Dec 1, 2013
    Old-school game mechanics. Engrossing, well-written storyline. Awesome soundtrack and 80s ambientation. The greatest surprise of 2012, there's nothing to dislike in this game.
  72. Oct 26, 2012
    Hotline Miami is a Indie done right. The combination of stealth and gruesome combat is great! The visual style with neon-colors and the great soundtrack underpin a really surreal and quite interesting plot that connects all of the murder scenes. This is by far the best Indie game I've ever played even surpassing FTL and Meatboy. Don't miss this but be warned that it's an adult theme.
  73. Jan 26, 2013
    This is way more than a game, this is an inspiration! This is a game that makes you feel in a way that you can't describe.

Gameplay - 10/10
    Soundtrack - 10/10
    Storyline - 10/10
    Art style - 10/10

This is pure art. The developers are genius!
  74. Aug 24, 2013
    A strange title, but definitely worth checking out. The gameplay is intense, involving a lot of trial and error. The graphics really are from the 80's, just like the setting of the game, though. But what surprised me the most is the story. There is a surprisingly deep story, considering we're talking about Hotline Miami. A lot of things change over the chapters, all driven by the story. But I think that the addictive gameplay is what hooks people the most.
    The game doesn't know the definition of the word 'mercy', and you will be driven to play. But it's so goddamn hard sometimes! Congratulations to the developers for creating such a game.
  75. Apr 26, 2013
    Hotline Miami has a unique, depressing, ominous atmosphere structured by trippy. dated visuals, and solid music. In saying that, the repetitive game play does begin to drag after a few chapters. Some frustrating bugs, on top of ridiculous boss levels that seem purposefully built to annoy, take the overall shine off of the game.
  76. May 29, 2013
    Hotline Miami is a top-down fast paced action shooter with an excellent story and alternative 80's artstyle. I won't spoil too much but as you progress the story you unlock masks, which give you special abilities. You start out with a rooster mask that does nothing, but eventually you work your way up to masks that let you move faster or start with a knife. I can understand why some people call it repetitive but it's only repetitive if you make it. There are tons of masks, weapons and different tactics to try out.

Overall, an utterly amazing game. The screenshots and previews simply don't do it justice, I implore you to buy it.
  77. Jan 22, 2014
    This harsh gritty top down arcade style shoot'em up, is one of the greatest indie games ever made. Everything in this game is flawless, the art, the music, the controls, and the story. Let's start with the art style, the game has an interesting mix of retro pixel art mixed with some bright colors and trippy visuals later on in the game. The its hard not to keep looking at the screen because the art just has you so mystified. Next is the music. The music is so wonderful, its a mix of 8-bit old school video game style music, with techno and its so dark and catchy. The music matches the game perfectly. Third the controls. Not much to say, easy, simple , fluid. But most importantly fun, they get really fun really fast. The fast pace of the game perfectly match the fast controls, and easy learning curve but longer mastery curve. Last the story. The plot is given in bits and pieces, and very cryptic. But when its all over all the pieces come together and you loose your mind. You really feel like YOU the player just witnessed some one loose their mind. Everything about this game adds not only great replayability value its so much fun for under ten dollars (even cheaper if you wait for a sale on steam). All in all this is a great game. Expand
  78. Dec 22, 2012
    this kind of games are the only ones that I really enjoy. Difficult, different to the rest of games and with adult content. The graphics and animations are awesome so as the faces (love the beard dude). I have no doubt that this is the goty of 2012, not those **** unlimited franchises that are all years the same game.
  79. Mar 22, 2013
    Bought this game on sale for a few dollars. Wasn't really expecting much, but I had read some good things. Anyway...sooooooo much fun and very challenging. Love it.
  80. Jan 29, 2013
    Going to throw this out before you read my review of this game, it might be worth your time checking out the bad reviews. If you don't then i'll sum it up to this, if you love this game your a blind, dumb hipster that love broken games. There to funny to read, but anyway......

Hotline Miami is one of those different games to come out in the indie section. To be honest, When I first saw
    the game I didn't think it belonged there until I got a peak at the gameplay. When it went up on sale not to long ago I thought I would give it a try and right away loved the game. At the begining of the game your greeted by a homeless looking guy who teaches you the basics then you meet the masked three (that's what I call them anyway.) I'm not going to talk about story and ruin it for ya so lets talk game play.

Since the game is a over the top shooter it doesn't look like something you could be stealthy at, but that's where your wrong. Depending on what you like in weapon wise and what your mask does you could go silent or all out but the trick of this game is to plan your attack instead of going right at it, a simple thing that many game developers tend to push to the side to help out newer gamer's. As long as you think before you act you can get threw this game pretty well but remember, just like your enemies can be killed by one hit, you can die with one hit as well so trial and error is needed when you first start playing just to get use to it. The more you kill the more points you collect and you can make more points by how bold you get, how many chained kill you collect and even how you take them out and with allot of different weapons to choose from you wont get tired trying something different like switching your shotgun for a base ball bat or sword.

I myself haven't beaten the game just yet but from what I have played I am very pleased with this game, but to be honest I like to see more for this game and if not this one then I hope to see allot more for Hotline Miami 2 (yes they are already developing a second game). From what I can tell, after you beat the story there isn't much else for you to do except play the sorry again and get high scores on all the levels. What this game could use is a user friendly level maker along with some sort of server system to share these levels to other players, but that's just a personal idea since I don't want to just drop this game after defeating it. Besides that, I really dig the music in this game. It kind of gave me a 80's movie soundtrack feel to it and goes well with the entire gameplay feel.

In the end, I'm giving it a 8.5 (even tho I can only give it a 8 here) for trying something new and winning.

P.S. Notice I never talked about graphics beyond 'over top shooter'? That's because graphic's is never something you should worry about. you don't need good graphic for a good game, the game could look like crap and still be awesome.
  81. May 3, 2013
    “简单、直接、暴力、挑战”,因为语言问题无法了解故事情节,但并不影响这款游戏的独特体验。操作非常的简单,很快就能适应;杀与被杀都是直接了当,绝不拖泥带水;爆头,断肢,血浆一点也不少;被杀后只要按R键就可以从这个楼层从新开始,快速投入到令人血脉喷张的战斗中。游戏有丰富的武器和道具供你使用,高强度的电子乐,绝对刺激,绝对少儿不宜!
  82. Jun 12, 2013
    Anyone who gave this a negative review obviously doesn't get the game. It's supposed to have graphics, it has an amazing soundtrack (which made me less angry after 1000 deaths), and the scoring system makes replay-ability an option. I got this in a humble bundle, so I can't complain about the price.

You will die in the blink of an eye if you're not careful, but it brings back memories
    of older games where trial and error was part of the fun. You can master levels, because nothing changes and I think that's a great feature.

Buy it and you won't be disappointed. If you're a graphics lover, stay away and go play big development on your colossal gaming rig.
  83. Sep 25, 2013
    Hotline Miami gives what no other game can do, it has a perfect mix of strategy, stealth, and action, and it also has unique music and graphics, people may say it's hard but it makes the player strategize and make lots of different tactics on each stage.
  84. Nov 2, 2013
    An amazing game, if you like grand theft auto or man hunt you will like this game, if you dont like gta or manhunt YOU WILL STILL LIKE THIS GAME. ultra violent and retro.
  85. Jan 17, 2014
    Hotline Miami is the type of game that you sit down, play, and figure out three hours later that you are still playing it. The game's replay-ability, story, and fantastic gameplay are wonderful to experience, but the reason Hotline Miami deserves a ten instead of a nine is the music. The soundtrack alone gets a ten.
  86. Oct 25, 2012
    The game is rly fun to play.. it feels like loaded from psx or GTA1. It has a nice story that force you to use your imagination. You need skill to play this game.. at the beginning you will die a lot because the game is hard but with some practice you will get good fast and will start to enjoy the game. Hotline Miami is the kind of game that makes you rly use your brain.

You can play
    this game like a thief using only melee weapons or like Rambo.

Amazing soundtrack and old 16bit graphics.
  87. Oct 29, 2012
    It's a decent game. At its best, it feels really good; At it' worst it's a gamer's worst nightmare. I'm still fighting the controls despite many hours of gameplay. Notable issues are line of sight (you'll die from enemies you can't even see more times than you'd like, awkward character rotation (especially noticeable with a melee weapon) means you'll miss your swings like you're some kind of drunk brawler (missing a swing = death 99% of the time). I keep dying because I don't feel comfortable with the controls. I long for a gamepad, and that's really not a good thing when I'm playing on my computer. It really feels like one of those twin-stick shooters on XBLA. It could certainly work great with a mouse, but in this case it's barely functional, never mind reliable or enjoyable in the midst of the action (also, your cross-hair isn't visible enough, which adds insult to injury). The game is also quite full of other really weird oversights (or were they design decisions? I honestly can't tell). For instance: if you occupy the same space as an enemy, that enemy can't hit you (melee or gun), neither can you hit him. That alone could be fine, but when combined with the awkward controls and the lack of enemy friendly fire it's quite a **** pain. Also, the doors keep getting in the way, opening and closing wildly when touched with anything (bullets included), sending enemies in a concussion (i.e. not killing them), but blocking your precious bullets. Also, it's quite a shock when an enemy rises from a pool of blood because he was knocked unconscious by the door and not killed by your bullets, and then he kills you (of course). There's also the most horrible boss in recent history [*spoiler?*] : the one with the motorcycle helmet. He's fully invincible (of course you don't know that until he kills you 3 times as you're standing in disgust) until he trows his **** knife, at which point you can bash him; also, he rotates around you, sort of not attacking you outright even though's he's faster than you and he's **** invincible. It feels so wrong with how the rest of the game plays, I felt cheated. [*/spoiler*] Oh and then there's that "stealth" section, which I don't even feel like describing. However, the game does build up quite an atmosphere. The story is engaging, the music is pretty damn awesome and the graphics work fine, despite inducing confusion in pitched battles (the screen kind of moves about, scorepoints clutter the screen, blood everywhere, flashes of light -oh, you're dead aren't you, I bet you didn't even notice. I sure haven't.) So in the end, pros: cool atmosphere, aesthetics are poignant and engaging. cons: the controls don't do the game justice, some horrible bosses and a god-awful stealth sequence. Still a decent game, though I'm confused by the incredibly high scores. Expand
  88. Nov 11, 2013
    Fenomenal experience. it is such an incredible game which you will need to play in order to see how incredible it really is. The soundtracks and the storyline completely mesmerize me into a virtual reality.
  89. Jan 27, 2014
    This game is so frustrating and empty. It's beyond me that it got such a high score.

- To begin with, Hotline Miami has no customization beyond ''masks'' that give special abilities, no cinematics and no story whatsoever. I know it's not a 60$ game but it looks cooler than it is.

- Devoid of a godmode, the game requires to start over a zillion times. It sucks. There is no
    justification to this.

- Excluding the restart annoyance, the game is very short.

Really beyond cool sounds and soundtrack, you will not find much in this one.
  90. Jan 21, 2013
    Fast paced and gory action make Hotline Miami a blast to play. The style and music add to the experience and the odd character story line keeps things moving. The pace for this game is perfect. Each level gets gradually more difficult and the enemies you face grow. Even though it is a top down 2d shooter, it is as twitched based as a FPS can get with enemies using almost instant reflexes. Just a fun game. Expand
  91. Dec 21, 2013
    not sure whats wrong with the negative opinions, the game is responsive and fast peaced, if you pllayed for about 5 minutes and broke your keyboard out of frustration you're doing it wrong. Yes the game might seem 'hard' at first since you can die easily but once you play a bit and figure that you can actually take out 2 guys with guns with a mele weapon just by being quick and when you score your 4+ combo for the first time I think that you will enjoy it much better.

About the repetitiveness if you measure it by the fact that you're doing the same thing than yeah 90% of the games are repetitive. Enemies doesnt always spawn the same way, sometimes they open doors and check other areas sometime they dont.

The graphics are as they are, like 90s games were, you can clearly tell that by the screenshots so you're aware of what you're buying. You might like it or not, its relative thing. If you played better 'flash games' list them I'm curious about that.
  92. Feb 11, 2014
    Worth playing. Very entertaining. Amaaazing music. For an indie game is a big ten, no doubt. The gameplay it's very addictive. It also has a catchy storyline I would say. Hoping for more games of these guys!!
  93. Jun 25, 2013
    Great fun to play
    Great Music
    Lots of replay value
    Lots to explore in the "liner" levels
    Retro Graphics Fit straight in

Story very confusing
    Can easily frustrate people
  94. Jul 13, 2013
    It was an enjoyable experience. It mixes together your quick reactions and your strategic thinking to complete a level. It punishes you on a single mistake however and I truly liked that aspect of this game. Overall, I think it was a great game but I found it to be quite short but definitely worth the price of 10 bucks.
  95. Dec 28, 2013
    Don't listen to the idiots around here saying b*llsh*t about hotline miami..IT IS A GEM!!!Story and mood wise!U need an Xbox360 controller for sure,but it is worth your time...Violent,psycho,atmospheric plus a SUPER soundtrack!What else u want from an indie game 18+?It's on sale now!GO 'N' GET IT!!!
  96. Oct 30, 2012
    Full review: http://newgameplus.co/pc/hotline-miami-review/

Hotline Miami, from indie developer Dennaton Games, is a hard-hitting, visceral experience. It starts in a dark alleyway where a nameless observer instructs you to kill three men. The first two with your fists, the last one with a baseball bat. The violence in Hotline Miami is brutal. It isn
  97. Nov 25, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant game, surefire candidate for game of the year next to The Walking Dead. The game is very well planned, mechanics unique, and the game itself is completely unique. Soundtrack is great and fits perfectly, and this incredible playability. As for the story at the beginning of it at all does not feel - I just perform some tasks masked guests. At one point, after a certain event, but I will not say what because I do not want to do spoilers, the game turns upside down and the story would normally dent in the seat or chair, depending on where we sit. Many may not like the pixel visuals, but to me it just did not bother and I think the graphics are very well matched. I would recommend to anyone, especially to players who like to play an independent and tactical game, because these species are undoubtedly the work. Expand
  98. Jul 13, 2013
    I know this isn't the best game in the history. it's far from it. BUT, it brings to me wonderful memories from great games from the past, that made my childhood awesome, like NES Mission: Impossible, and PC GTA 2. Now, about the game itself, i'ts awesome, it's hard, and it's beatiful. It has minor cons, but we have to evalute him like the way the creators made it. Is not for everyone, the game it's basically about dying a lot, but learning a lot too. Juego increíble, gracias por traer mis mejores recuerdos de infancia de vuelta. Expand
  99. Nov 25, 2012
    This game is the most brutal addictive game I've played this year. The storyline is good and fun but the best part is the soundtrack as it ads to Hotline Miami's feel. You play as jacket as he gets messages through his answering machine you fallow his brutal violent lifestyle. You kill by knocking them down with your fists though you can get guns and alot of melee weapons to smash your way through this version of Miami. Plus you can now use your Xbox controller. Expand
  100. Oct 29, 2012
    I enjoy the fact that this game kicks my butt. I'm fairly good at games and this thing is tough! I like the fact that it actually takes skill. There are things I don't like about it (lack of options, minor physics issues, and even more minor control issues) but they are mostly blurred in the background while I'm killing people mindlessly. There are different masks to be worn which give you certain advantages and unlockable weapons to use which generate randomly. The replay isn't fueled so much by that though, its more just the release of stress you get from bashing in a whole bunch of sprited heads (they are bad guys though and they deserve such treatment). Expand
  101. Jan 3, 2013
    THE GOOD: Genius in it's simplicity and visceral in it's execution (pun intended) Hotline Miami is intentionally old skool (sic). Reminiscent in game play of the great Gauntlet and Alien Breed games of yesterdays, Hotline as been given some modern hyper stylings as blood and scenery gets chewed up as you make your away around the game. Action is quick and unrelenting as one misstep against the outnumbered enemies equals instadeath. I loved the graphics and music. 80's 8-bit text bounces and waves around the screen, while neon sprites and corridors make me wish I was colour blind. On occasion the game will throw some Super Nintendo Mode-7 spins and fades intentionally trying to give it that retro look. To keep things from being too samey,characters appear to have multiple animations, which made me feel that each kill was unique (pan of boiling water is one of my favorites so far). Audio and music is strong and suits 100% this title. In the mix are over 35 weapons and 25 unlockable animal masks, which each gives a slight game play change (greater punch reach, more ammo etc.). Guilty of being simple and fun.

THE BAD: Very little of Hotline Miami can be described as 'bad'. The gameplay itself can take a little getting used to as melee weapons have a certain range and gun aiming takes some practice but this is all part of the charm. Although being reckless is recommended and gives you a bigger score, I keep finding myself planning my movement around the level. Often I'll stop and see what the enemy is carrying before I burst in with a pipe (only to be welcomed in a hail of machine gun fire). Thankfully the restarts are quick and allow you to get back into the action. Due to the graphical style on occasion I'll be caught out by an AI character sat down and blended into the background but this all part of the charm and learning curve. | I would have liked to have seen larger levels, more variety of enemy and a multiplayer co-op element would have sealed the deal and scored a 9+ from me. Rumors of a sequel are already floating around, so fingers crossed for more of the same with some extras.

From the get-go, Miami’s presentation has a unique style, with vivid colors, generous amounts of post-process filtering and a stunning soundtrack (you will just let the game play on, only to hear the tracks). But at the same time, all notions of continuous fast-paced action gameplay disappear. Hotline Miami is essentially a top-down stealth game, that rewards the player with imaginative (and quite violent) kill animations. [January 2013]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    A stylish slice of retro carnage. This is the bloodiest, least forgiving game of the year. [Jan 2013, p.85]
  3. Dec 17, 2012