8.6

1. May 28, 2017
    A simple yet incredibly entertaining top-down 2D game. Who'd have thought a game with pixel graphics where the entire premise consists of nothing but clearing out rooms of bad guys could be so satisfying?! What makes Hotline Miami awesome is not only the great soundtrack, but also that it rewards both good tactics and good reactions. You have to be very fast and deliberate about everyA simple yet incredibly entertaining top-down 2D game. Who'd have thought a game with pixel graphics where the entire premise consists of nothing but clearing out rooms of bad guys could be so satisfying?! What makes Hotline Miami awesome is not only the great soundtrack, but also that it rewards both good tactics and good reactions. You have to be very fast and deliberate about every movement, every kill, every shot, every throw and punch. An insta-death game which means you have to restart the level initially sounds frustrating, but the fact that there are no load times and the weapons available and enemy patterns are slightly different on each restart, as well as the amazing soundtrack, make this a joy to play and extremely rewarding when you can combo waves of enemies.

There are plenty of satisfying skill-based games out there, but I've yet to come across one which makes me feel like a total badass every time in the same way that Hotline Miami does.
  2. Dec 30, 2015
    Unique perspective and approach to the classical style of retro-walkie shooter. The gameplay comes down to your reaction skill run and slash - so prepare to die a lot... A LOT! :)
    Before you start playing though - one suggestion - accept that you are a masochist! :)) But really, my initial reaction to this Rogue one-shot-equals-death game was abysmal - i hated the game in the first hour. But you know what, i gave it another try (in several months, i'll be honest) and this game is pretty good and very fun!
    Spelunky is better though! :)
  3. May 2, 2015
    Hotline Miami is a game different from others, but manages to keep me very well connected PC and a very pleasant way .
  4. Dec 10, 2012
    INDIE GAME OF THE YEAR FTW, Great music soundtrack, Brilliantine gritty knife throwing game play, engading and interesting story, AN ORIGINAL CONCEPT DIFFIDENTLY WORTH ALL YOUR MONEYS
  5. Aug 9, 2013
    Addictive, bloody and fast-paced action. Cool retro design. A clever and engaging story. And a great soundtrack on top of it all. An awesome gaming experience that doesn't require a top-notch PC to play it. My only complaint is that it felt a bit short.
  6. Oct 6, 2015
    It is both a mix of frustration, as well as fun. The soundtrack is the main reason that I got into this game, with its 80s like mix of techno is amazing. The story is awesome, with its brutal history and its dark and depressing tone. The point system and masks are unique, and it almost seems like Smash TV, but a much more enjoyable and deep experience than Smash TV could be.
  7. Sep 20, 2014
    The over-the-top violence in Hotline Miami might turn those of you away who don't like violent games but if you're able to stomach it, you'll notice there's actually more to the game than meets the eye thanks to its stealth/puzzle elements. You'll need a combination of wits and lightning reflexes, and you'll often find yourself cursing at how frustrating the game is at times, but withThe over-the-top violence in Hotline Miami might turn those of you away who don't like violent games but if you're able to stomach it, you'll notice there's actually more to the game than meets the eye thanks to its stealth/puzzle elements. You'll need a combination of wits and lightning reflexes, and you'll often find yourself cursing at how frustrating the game is at times, but with great difficulty comes a great sense of achievement when completing the levels. Combine these qualities with an awesome soundtrack inspired by music from the 80s and 90s and you'll want to keep playing this game to the end. Expand
  8. Jul 16, 2017
    Madness under the masks of endless and merciless violence, Hotline Miami is a shockingly bloody top-down shooter that rarely shows its aesthetic aspect over the color of crimson.
  9. Dec 8, 2013
    Pros:
    -Simple and challenging gameplay
    -The challenge isn't frustrating as much as it is motivating -Good soundtrack -Lot of sprite on sprite violence. Cons: -Gameplay is rather repetitive -Story kind of fizzles out and the end is just thrown in last minute. -7 hours long...or less if youre better at video games than me Conclusion: While gameplay is repetitive it never really
    Pros:
    -Simple and challenging gameplay
    -The challenge isn't frustrating as much as it is motivating
    -Good soundtrack
    -Lot of sprite on sprite violence.

Cons:
    -Gameplay is rather repetitive
    -Story kind of fizzles out and the end is just thrown in last minute.
    -7 hours long...or less if youre better at video games than me
    Conclusion: While gameplay is repetitive it never really feels repetitive. The challenge always keeps it interesting even though you're basically doing the same thing (killing everybody in the room) every level. If you enjoy older style of games like asteroid, pacman, and space invaders where it's the same thing every level but just on a different map or with slight tweaks then you'll love this. For some reason it reminds me of the movie "Drive" with Ryan Gosling.
  10. Mar 15, 2015
    Hotline Miami is one of the most fun games that I have ever played. I can say that this game is worth buying at full price. The soundtrack is Amazing, the game is really hard and it's just great fun to run around and kill people.
  11. Jun 10, 2014
    Exigente pero visual y conceptualmente interesante juego que nos retrotrae a cuando probamos por primera vez el GTA1. Sin duda uno de los juegos indies de 2012 y una fantástica compra.
  12. Nov 1, 2013
    Its simple and fun and definitely on my list for Indie game of the year. It just feels like an 80's exploitation film, and reminds me of a lot of crime films from the time. Its easy to get addicted in its clever gameplay and you'll never get tired of cracking a dude over the head with a baseball bat, or finding other gruesome ways to kill your opponents.
  13. Jun 24, 2015
    Awesome music, graphics and gameplay, but you may find it a bit hard all through the game but you will feel satisfied once you reached the ending! I wonder how Hotline Miami 2 will be?
  14. Jul 19, 2013
    Awesome Indie game!
    I loved the theme and story of this game, they were really well done. They could not have done any better at creating an old school/retro feel to the game.
    The gameplay/combat is basically "trial and error." It can be challenging at first, because it is extremely unique, but it grows on you. This has become my go-to game when I don't have a lot of time but need to be
    Awesome Indie game!
    This has become my go-to game when I don't have a lot of time but need to be violent for a few minutes.
    I want so badly to give this game a 10/10. But at a base price of 10 bucks, I have to chop a point off for lack of content vs. price.
  15. Jun 13, 2015
    Hotline Miami has to be one of the most addictive games that is under $20 dollars. If you get hit or get shot at, you will die. Once dead you have restart the level or checkpoint and its really stressful if you do. And thats what I truly like about this game. Even though its a great game, I'm sadly not one of those gamers that can read non-speakable text boxes so I normally skip all ofHotline Miami has to be one of the most addictive games that is under $20 dollars. If you get hit or get shot at, you will die. Once dead you have restart the level or checkpoint and its really stressful if you do. And thats what I truly like about this game. Even though its a great game, I'm sadly not one of those gamers that can read non-speakable text boxes so I normally skip all of that.

Don't underestimate Hotline Miami. It might be a cheap game but its highly addictive and you wont stop playing it.
  16. Apr 10, 2015
    Prepare to die your way to success! Hotline Miami is hard and brilliant! It's bloody and it's very fast. Entire levels will be over in seconds and minutes. It's retro and its got style. The story is weird at best and the characters are very "lets kill them all and not ask any questions". So much so, even the final person you kill seemed to know the guy who will kill him ain't interested inPrepare to die your way to success! Hotline Miami is hard and brilliant! It's bloody and it's very fast. Entire levels will be over in seconds and minutes. It's retro and its got style. The story is weird at best and the characters are very "lets kill them all and not ask any questions". So much so, even the final person you kill seemed to know the guy who will kill him ain't interested in any drama whatsoever. I like it. Think of all the films and games who would have had a much better, albeit darker ending, if characters killed more and talked less with style. Expand
  17. Mar 18, 2014
    Mad game, I love it. The animals masks, bloody idea. The characters are psychos. The dialogues at the start: "I'm here to show you how to kill people". I recommend this game. It feels dangerous and It's completely insane.
  18. Jun 16, 2013
    Hotline Miami is a brutal top-down shooter where you're instructed to kill a whole bunch of people and you really don't know why. The game is incredibly unsettling, between the genocide, the creepy music, the graphics that look like a terrible VHS recording, the terrible sense of increasing loneliness and desperation, and the sense that maybe all of it isn't real, even by the game'sHotline Miami is a brutal top-down shooter where you're instructed to kill a whole bunch of people and you really don't know why. The game is incredibly unsettling, between the genocide, the creepy music, the graphics that look like a terrible VHS recording, the terrible sense of increasing loneliness and desperation, and the sense that maybe all of it isn't real, even by the game's standards.

The gameplay is tough. The action is frantic, since one shot kills you and enemies move quickly, yet requires a lot of planning as you decide how to take on heavily-guarded buildings. The harder battles are ridiculously difficult. The sound is creepy and very fitting. The graphics are simple 2D, but the aesthetic is also unsettling. The controls are tough to get used to, but ultimately work most of the time. The story's somewhat minimal, but the story that is there is very interesting.

I think this game is worth the $10 purchase, and if this looks interesting to you, I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you enjoy it, there's a lot of replayability here too. Definitely get it if it's on sale. The soundtrack is very good, but it's not exactly feel-good music. Either way, consider picking up the soundtrack too.
  19. May 8, 2016
    Great graphics and soundtrack, small levels make for incredible bite-sized over-the-top action. Lots and lots and lots of gore. Not much story but I wasn't expecting one.
  20. Feb 14, 2013
    This has got to be one of the best games I have played in quite a while. There are many games that offer great gameplay but the stories are usually the very simple, easy to understand nonsense that is also present in all blockbuster movies. And with Hotline Miami, one doesn't just get a pathetic, half-assed attempt at something more complex and meaningful but actually a complete one. ForThis has got to be one of the best games I have played in quite a while. There are many games that offer great gameplay but the stories are usually the very simple, easy to understand nonsense that is also present in all blockbuster movies. And with Hotline Miami, one doesn't just get a pathetic, half-assed attempt at something more complex and meaningful but actually a complete one. For the movie lovers: think Inception vs. Memento.
    As for the awesome music and art style and everything else... that's covered in so many reviews already...
    There are only two minor gripes I have with the game: Enemies often can't be hit when they stand very close to you (although that may be because one's weapon reaches through them.... there usually isn't enough time to analyze this...). And there are no online leaderboards. Which is really a damn shame for a game with a score system as this one. Then again... making people hunt high scores just for the fun of it may not even be what the developers had in mind?
  21. Mar 24, 2015
    Excellently executes everything it is trying to achieve. Delivering a frustratingly gory retro fun fest that kicks your ass over and over again and still has you coming back for more.
  22. Nov 9, 2015
    When asked what it is I enjoy most about a game, the best I can come up with is "the experience", as vague as that is. Whatever I mean by that, Hotline Miami captures it in every way. With the sickly bright visuals, the unflinching and brutal violence, the hypnotizing soundtrack, and the surreal plot, it sets itself apart as one of the most distinct experiences in indie gaming. It'sWhen asked what it is I enjoy most about a game, the best I can come up with is "the experience", as vague as that is. Whatever I mean by that, Hotline Miami captures it in every way. With the sickly bright visuals, the unflinching and brutal violence, the hypnotizing soundtrack, and the surreal plot, it sets itself apart as one of the most distinct experiences in indie gaming. It's comparable to drugs, getting under your skin and becoming a game you play by feel more than sight. You'll get into a flow and completely lose yourself in the violence, only for the last enemy to die. Then the music cuts abruptly, a dull buzzing plays, and you slowly walk back to your car through the trail of maimed bodies.

Everything moves so fast, you don't even have time to think, you just have to react instinctively. The feel of the action very much compliments what's going on in the protagonist's head. No time to stop and think, only to act, and react, as fast as possible, no matter the consequences. The best games don't just have you play as a character, they make you feel like you *are* the character, and the gradually deteriorating mental state of a brutal killer wouldn't look like anything else than what you see in this game. The violence, intensity, and difficulty aren't going to be for everyone, but this is among my most loved of indie titles on the market.
  23. Mar 9, 2015
    This game is great! It reminds me of the old bird's eye view 'Grand Theft Auto' games from the 90's but without the vehicles or parades full of people to run over. The gameplay here is quick and addictive and your thirst for blood will be at an all time high while dodging bullets and trying on fancy new animal masks. The soundtrack is one of the best that I've heard in a while, and playingThis game is great! It reminds me of the old bird's eye view 'Grand Theft Auto' games from the 90's but without the vehicles or parades full of people to run over. The gameplay here is quick and addictive and your thirst for blood will be at an all time high while dodging bullets and trying on fancy new animal masks. The soundtrack is one of the best that I've heard in a while, and playing with a controller is a breeze once you get the hang of it. I'm not exactly sure what's going on in the game or what the story is about because it's a complete mind-fudge, but it's entertaining to say the least. Overall 'Hotline Miami' feels like a bad acid trip, but a fun one at that. It's definitely worth picking up even though it can be beaten in five or six hours. Now go! Now! And start your animal mask collection immediately! Expand
  24. Jul 2, 2017
    Hotline Miami is an old-school shooter-beat em up game made by Devolver Digital.
    This game is weird, it feels a lot like an acid trip but it's also innovative, fun and satisfying.
    The story is really confusing, it doesn't tell it in a correct order, the characters were uninteresting because you never have the time to know anyone. But one element that surprised me about hotline miami was the philosophy in it, it makes us question violence in video games which is ironic but also clever.

The gameplay is fun, bloody and satisfying but can be frustrating because of bad AI, the enemies have really fast reflexes but ignore the bodies on the floor just next to them.
    You can beat this game doing stealth or just running and shooting, both tactics work and it's really fun, the weapons control very well and the aiming mechanic is effective so even with bad AI, the gameplay was a success.

This game really surprised me with the philosophie and the bloody and satisfying gameplay, I really recommend it, it's not perfect and it is pretty short, but I do think it's worth it.
  25. Jun 17, 2017
    Intriguing story
    Interesting characters
    It's all around goodness
  26. Mar 17, 2017
    Ryan Gosling 16 Bits Simulator!

Pros: - Great gameplay (It rewards your timming A LOT!) - Tactics versatility - Retro art style and homage to a few cult movies and games from the past. - Yes...."replayability" :P - The Soundtrack is really good and fast paced to follow the action. - Play it with controller (preferably DualShock 4) Cons: - Is really short (maybe it wasn't
    Ryan Gosling 16 Bits Simulator!

Pros:
    - Great gameplay (It rewards your timming A LOT!)
    - Tactics versatility
    - Retro art style and homage to a few cult movies and games from the past.
    - Yes...."replayability" :P
    - The Soundtrack is really good and fast paced to follow the action.
    - Play it with controller (preferably DualShock 4)

Cons:
    - Is really short (maybe it wasn't difficult to me).

P.D. The second part will feature a level editor!
    WE WANT MODS! :)
  27. Jul 5, 2015
    Hotline Miami is an incredible game. It's graphics is good-lookingand soundtrack is amazing. I am looking forward for Hotline Miami 2, I hope it will not disapoint me.
  28. Feb 28, 2013
    One of the best games at this genre nowadays. Interesting story combined with a great gameplay und awesome soundtrack.
  29. Feb 20, 2014
    This thing hit all the right spots. It's retro and it's new, it's challenging and it's fun, it's serious and it's not, it's linear and it's subversive, it's atmospheric to the point of mysticism and it's actually crude reality. All the elements of the game from the graphics to the music to the plot to the gameplay mix together so well it's, pardon the pun, criminal. Plus, for an indie 2dThis thing hit all the right spots. It's retro and it's new, it's challenging and it's fun, it's serious and it's not, it's linear and it's subversive, it's atmospheric to the point of mysticism and it's actually crude reality. All the elements of the game from the graphics to the music to the plot to the gameplay mix together so well it's, pardon the pun, criminal. Plus, for an indie 2d game this has some shockingly realistic combat mechanics! Think about it: this is exactly what would happen if you burst into a building full of mafia thugs.

...minus the retry button.
  30. Jan 17, 2013
    Great game for satisfying the blood lust that my soul, blackened from violent videogames and Arnold Schwarzenegger movies, so desperately craves. Great as a birthday present.
  31. Jan 2, 2013
    It's a great time for Hotline Miami to stand between the indie games, as lots of them are getting rewarded by its premise (The Walking Dead and Journey for example). These games were acclaimed by their compelling story or beautiful imagery. The problem is this game doesn't have any beautiful images or an interesting story. You just have to do one thing: KILL. That's right! Remember GTA andIt's a great time for Hotline Miami to stand between the indie games, as lots of them are getting rewarded by its premise (The Walking Dead and Journey for example). These games were acclaimed by their compelling story or beautiful imagery. The problem is this game doesn't have any beautiful images or an interesting story. You just have to do one thing: KILL. That's right! Remember GTA and GTA II, well, this is exactly the same. Hotline Miami is a fun game, but it's not as original as it claims to be. The gameplay is simple. Kill everything that moves quickly before it kills you. You can grab guns and knives and you can throw some weapons too. Each head will reward us with sort of XP Points and at the end of the level we will see our efficiency. Cool, right? Now, the story. You are a man who dreams about other men with masks talking to each other about you. You wake up, you get a phone call about the "job" you have to do, and once you do the "job" you go to a bar and drink. It gets repetitive. Really repetitive. But this games is all about fun. Hotline Miami is a little bit of GTA mixed with the "Do it fast" theme of Bloody Trapland. The game, though, still is fun to play. Trying to improve our record will have us replaying levels many times, and even though it doesn't have a long duration, we have lots of level. Prepare to die...a lot! Hotline Miami's difficulty is insane. You must be fast, and good, and tactical. You have to look well before getting into trouble. Hotline Miami has those 2D RPG graphics that got lost in the past, but that look so stylish it's impossible not to fall in love with them again. It's also cheerfully violent. The fun, the style and gameplay of the game is what makes it worth it, enough for a good 7. Collapse

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    From the get-go, Miami’s presentation has a unique style, with vivid colors, generous amounts of post-process filtering and a stunning soundtrack (you will just let the game play on, only to hear the tracks). But at the same time, all notions of continuous fast-paced action gameplay disappear. Hotline Miami is essentially a top-down stealth game, that rewards the player with imaginative (and quite violent) kill animations. [January 2013]
  2. Games Master UK
    Dec 18, 2012
    A stylish slice of retro carnage. This is the bloodiest, least forgiving game of the year. [Jan 2013, p.85]
  3. Hyper Magazine