8.4

1. Dec 10, 2012
    INDIE GAME OF THE YEAR FTW, Great music soundtrack, Brilliantine gritty knife throwing game play, engading and interesting story, AN ORIGINAL CONCEPT DIFFIDENTLY WORTH ALL YOUR MONEYS
  2. Jun 10, 2014
    Exigente pero visual y conceptualmente interesante juego que nos retrotrae a cuando probamos por primera vez el GTA1. Sin duda uno de los juegos indies de 2012 y una fantástica compra.
  3. Nov 1, 2013
    Its simple and fun and definitely on my list for Indie game of the year. It just feels like an 80's exploitation film, and reminds me of a lot of crime films from the time. Its easy to get addicted in its clever gameplay and you'll never get tired of cracking a dude over the head with a baseball bat, or finding other gruesome ways to kill your opponents.
  4. Jul 19, 2013
    Awesome Indie game!
    I loved the theme and story of this game, they were really well done. They could not have done any better at creating an old school/retro feel to the game.
    The gameplay/combat is basically "trial and error." It can be challenging at first, because it is extremely unique, but it grows on you. This has become my go-to game when I don't have a lot of time but need to be
    Awesome Indie game!
    This has become my go-to game when I don't have a lot of time but need to be violent for a few minutes.
    I want so badly to give this game a 10/10. But at a base price of 10 bucks, I have to chop a point off for lack of content vs. price.
  5. Jan 17, 2013
    Great game for satisfying the blood lust that my soul, blackened from violent videogames and Arnold Schwarzenegger movies, so desperately craves. Great as a birthday present.
  6. Feb 14, 2013
    This has got to be one of the best games I have played in quite a while. There are many games that offer great gameplay but the stories are usually the very simple, easy to understand nonsense that is also present in all blockbuster movies. And with Hotline Miami, one doesn't just get a pathetic, half-assed attempt at something more complex and meaningful but actually a complete one. ForThis has got to be one of the best games I have played in quite a while. There are many games that offer great gameplay but the stories are usually the very simple, easy to understand nonsense that is also present in all blockbuster movies. And with Hotline Miami, one doesn't just get a pathetic, half-assed attempt at something more complex and meaningful but actually a complete one. For the movie lovers: think Inception vs. Memento.
    As for the awesome music and art style and everything else... that's covered in so many reviews already...
    There are only two minor gripes I have with the game: Enemies often can't be hit when they stand very close to you (although that may be because one's weapon reaches through them.... there usually isn't enough time to analyze this...). And there are no online leaderboards. Which is really a damn shame for a game with a score system as this one. Then again... making people hunt high scores just for the fun of it may not even be what the developers had in mind?
  7. Feb 20, 2014
    This thing hit all the right spots. It's retro and it's new, it's challenging and it's fun, it's serious and it's not, it's linear and it's subversive, it's atmospheric to the point of mysticism and it's actually crude reality. All the elements of the game from the graphics to the music to the plot to the gameplay mix together so well it's, pardon the pun, criminal. Plus, for an indie 2dThis thing hit all the right spots. It's retro and it's new, it's challenging and it's fun, it's serious and it's not, it's linear and it's subversive, it's atmospheric to the point of mysticism and it's actually crude reality. All the elements of the game from the graphics to the music to the plot to the gameplay mix together so well it's, pardon the pun, criminal. Plus, for an indie 2d game this has some shockingly realistic combat mechanics! Think about it: this is exactly what would happen if you burst into a building full of mafia thugs.

...minus the retry button.
  8. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is just fun. I don't dig this retro craze as much as most people, but don't get me wrong, this game is bags of fun. Killing people in stylish combo-ey manners hasn't been this frustrating, challenging but just so much adrenaline this game makes you feel like you're on a roller coaster ride. This music just adds so much flavour into this game. I cannot give it anymore highThis game is just fun. I don't dig this retro craze as much as most people, but don't get me wrong, this game is bags of fun. Killing people in stylish combo-ey manners hasn't been this frustrating, challenging but just so much adrenaline this game makes you feel like you're on a roller coaster ride. This music just adds so much flavour into this game. I cannot give it anymore high praise. Fun and not to mention reasonably priced Expand
  9. Nov 27, 2014
    THIS GAME IS AWESOME. And I do not say that at all the time. If you check out my reviews, you'll see that I hardly give a game a ten. But Hotline Miami deserves it. Awesome atmosphere, nice visuals, and a superb soundtrack. The gameplay is really addictive, even though it's a little frustrating -but that is the whole point of it. And the story is amazing. I never thought that a indie gameTHIS GAME IS AWESOME. And I do not say that at all the time. If you check out my reviews, you'll see that I hardly give a game a ten. But Hotline Miami deserves it. Awesome atmosphere, nice visuals, and a superb soundtrack. The gameplay is really addictive, even though it's a little frustrating -but that is the whole point of it. And the story is amazing. I never thought that a indie game could have such a strong story, told by the little details and little hints by the dialogue. This game is pure gold, and is the best indie that I played to this day -PERIOD. And it is really cheap, so there's little to no excuses to not try it out. Expand
  10. Jun 21, 2013
    I felt like I was playing NeoGeo... controls were perfect... it just had this real arcade feel to it. I dig it. There are a lot of negative reviews that piss me off... learn how to play the game before you diss it. There's some serious strategy here and the fun factor and replay value is high. The colors, the music, the way it feels, can't be ufcked with.

Three top games in the last

Three top games in the last however many years: Shadow Complex, Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac, and Hotline Miami.

Werd to your moms.
  11. Dec 7, 2012
    I think this game is a very interesting mix of modern and retro. You have this pumping modern soundtrack with 80's visual design and modern gameplay. It's hard like old games, but not unfair like old, bad games. It's easy to pick up and each floor is like a checkpoint.
    The simple but disturbing Dayid Lynch-esque backstory is really the icing on the cake.
  12. Nov 20, 2012
    Loud, violent, pulpy and bizarre, Hotline Miami submerges you in a sublime audio/visual state of trance that will make your head spin and leaves you craving for more!
  13. Oct 28, 2012
    It's sadistic fun at its best. Think super meat boy in top-down shmup with awesome 80s disco soundtrack and some weird tripping story interludes. A game that rewards you for perfectly timing smashing through a door, jumping on someone's face, bashing it in, taking their baseball bat, throwing it into the next room at a mobster's head, taking his gun, then shooting his friend in the roomIt's sadistic fun at its best. Think super meat boy in top-down shmup with awesome 80s disco soundtrack and some weird tripping story interludes. A game that rewards you for perfectly timing smashing through a door, jumping on someone's face, bashing it in, taking their baseball bat, throwing it into the next room at a mobster's head, taking his gun, then shooting his friend in the room that is rushing at you with a crowbar. Then he wakes up from his daze and you pop him in the head, then all hell breaks loose as every single enemy on the map proceeds to enter the room you are in, and you only have 4 bullets remaining in this auto shotgun... so you hold back behind a corner of the doorway as they rush in "CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK" goes your mouse, and "BAM BAM BAM BAM" goes your shotgun... there's bloody mess EVERYWHERE but there's one guy left and he's running in with an assault rifle.... so instead you right click... and your autoshotgun goes flying across the room in your single last chance of faith in the game.... knocks the bodyguard out and then you storm him and jump on his face and keep bashing away until he stops moving and the last breathe of air escapes his now-limp corpse. Then a voice yells "GO BACK TO THE CAR!" while the smooth 80s disco beat continues to kick in. Oh how sexy you feel. If that sounds like your kind of game. GET ON BOARD Expand
  14. Jan 21, 2014
    Let me break it all to you guys, this game is for those who enjoy: 1) GTA I & II, 2) Psychodelic/Progressive Music, 3) Arcade rush, 4) Arcade Graphics

Pure 80's/90's awesome.
  15. Dec 8, 2013
    Pros:
    -Simple and challenging gameplay
    -The challenge isn't frustrating as much as it is motivating -Good soundtrack -Lot of sprite on sprite violence. Cons: -Gameplay is rather repetitive -Story kind of fizzles out and the end is just thrown in last minute. -7 hours long...or less if youre better at video games than me Conclusion: While gameplay is repetitive it never really
    Pros:
    -Simple and challenging gameplay
    -The challenge isn't frustrating as much as it is motivating
    -Good soundtrack
    -Lot of sprite on sprite violence.

Cons:
    -Gameplay is rather repetitive
    -Story kind of fizzles out and the end is just thrown in last minute.
    -7 hours long...or less if youre better at video games than me
    Conclusion: While gameplay is repetitive it never really feels repetitive. The challenge always keeps it interesting even though you're basically doing the same thing (killing everybody in the room) every level. If you enjoy older style of games like asteroid, pacman, and space invaders where it's the same thing every level but just on a different map or with slight tweaks then you'll love this. For some reason it reminds me of the movie "Drive" with Ryan Gosling.
  16. Jun 25, 2013
    Bizarre, fast paced, and gory in the best way possible. A little annoyingly difficult at moments but that's not neccessarily a bad thing. A very good game, not the best ever, but very good.
  17. Sep 30, 2014
    Hotline Miami is one of the two only games in the world that I consider 'perfect'. The gameplay is perfect, satisfying and unbelievably fun. The visual are great, and while they aren't your general high-polygon AAA graphics, the art style they went for is truly the best they could have chosen in my opinion.

I love this game. Hotline Miami 2 needs to hurry up and come out, but don't rush it. My wallet is waiting, Dennaton.
  18. Dec 2, 2012
    Great music, very atmospheric and controls are great. The feeling you get when you throw a knife across the room or blow somebody's head into pieces feels so good! Pick this game up, you will not regret it.
  19. Aug 21, 2013
    A Subversive, disturbing, addictive game and packaged with an unrivaled soundtrack that produces a not-entirely-stable altered state in my brain. It's 180 proof distillation of 80's Miami Vice nostalgia, pseudo 12bit gaming, gore-a-fied violence, and corset tight gameplay combined with neurosis inducing difficulty.

It also digs into the narrative and psychology of wearing masks (do you

It also digs into the narrative and psychology of wearing masks (do you wear the mask, or does it wear you?) and on whether questions need to be answered to provide a compelling story.

And the music? My god. From wild spaced out country-influenced-dub, to psychotic driving electro and exposed-nerve disco. The music will be slithering around in your brain long after your eyes lose their bloodshot state you gained from playing the game.

Even in a year with some incredible releases like Mass Effect 3 and Walking Dead, this is my Game of the Year for 2012.

...It makes me want to buy a mask.
  20. May 29, 2013
    An excellent little indie game with an astonishingly good soundtrack, interesting plot, and great game play. I couldn't stop playing until I completed it, which took me about 3 hours, but for only a few dollars this is entirely worth the short play time.
  21. Nov 7, 2013
    Hotline gives you a different game-play style. I wish there was a CO-OP mode also, but it is still perfect game in Singleplayer. You can not compare Hotline Miami with any other game. It is unique in these days i think. It brings some good memories from "old days". And you never get bored, but sometimes, you just feel that, missions repeat themselves. Still a good game.
  22. May 13, 2013
    This game is a 10 out of 10, because it´s giving you goosebumps with its soundtrack, gameplay, gore, design and story. It´s polished, it´s the personification of the 80´s. Ever wanted a real Miami game, a cold gory fascinating, rewarding game? Something perfect like this is rare. This is an important game of this generation. Watch Drive play Hotline Miami and maybe some GTA Vice City.This game is a 10 out of 10, because it´s giving you goosebumps with its soundtrack, gameplay, gore, design and story. It´s polished, it´s the personification of the 80´s. Ever wanted a real Miami game, a cold gory fascinating, rewarding game? Something perfect like this is rare. This is an important game of this generation. Watch Drive play Hotline Miami and maybe some GTA Vice City. There was a time people felt great, the 80´s. Best Movies, best music, beaches, it gives you such a nostalgic feeling even if you are not from the 80´s. It´s incredible. No bugs, perfect, challenging gameplay, addiction to the soundtrack, Awesome and fair Level Design. This game is like Metro or Stalker. The atmosphere will grab you and you will never forget this game! BUY IT! BUY IT NOW! Expand
  23. Sep 30, 2013
    First let me say this is one of those games that is exactly what is advertised, and executes it perfectly, so the only reason to play it and hate it is if you're braindead, read the description, watch the video and say wow I totally wont like this game but ill buy it anyway so that i can be a giant COQ. This is just one of those great games, the kind that aren't very long but makes youFirst let me say this is one of those games that is exactly what is advertised, and executes it perfectly, so the only reason to play it and hate it is if you're braindead, read the description, watch the video and say wow I totally wont like this game but ill buy it anyway so that i can be a giant COQ. This is just one of those great games, the kind that aren't very long but makes you love every second you have with it. Don't let the retro graphics fool you, the game play is fast paced murder disco cocaine party! You may try to be all tactical on your fist run, but then you'll die a few times and just say, fuk this and charge in, which ends up working way better. Now its a punishing game where you die A LOT but the game restarts the floor for you before you have time to say OH COQ. I see way to many people trying to compare it to instead of just enjoying it for what it is. Expand
  24. Jan 31, 2014
    Probably the best game I have ever played! As of writing this review, this is the only game I would give 10/10 to.
    PROS:
    +The controls are tight and well flowing. +The story is interesting, and makes you think more than you would expect an arcade style game to make you. +The soundtrack is one of the best I have ever heard! +It is so satisfying for even the most simple of kills - not
    PROS:
    +The controls are tight and well flowing.
    +The soundtrack is one of the best I have ever heard!
    +It is so satisfying for even the most simple of kills - not to mention how amazing it feels when you finally beat a level.
    +It is very difficult, which normally annoys me a tad-bit, but this game adds re-playability through it's extreme difficulty.
    +The simple graphics make it easy to continue through the game; what I mean is the kills make you cringe in the 2D style - imagine if it was 3D and realistic! Yuck!
    CONS:
    -I don't know, maybe you don't like the colors?
  25. Jul 31, 2014
    were do i start with this game
    1. very fun retro inspired gameplay
    6. this game just works
    My Review Score Is A Prefect
    100 / 100
  26. Feb 8, 2014
    Many of my reviews are just for jokes and fun, but I want to be serious with this. This game is amazing. Simply stunning. The music, art and game play all combine and what it produces is spectacular. The story is very deep, and may require several breakthroughs to fully understand.

Phenomenal, Ten out of Ten. Utterly amazing, this is a must buy.
  27. Oct 29, 2012
    Ultraviolence, through and through.. just splendid for those who have the stomach. as far as game mechanics go, for me it took a little time to get used to, but the learning curve can be pretty steep, and it will definately sharpen your reflexes. ive beat the game, but i still want to unlock all the secrets and the alternative endings. not to mention the mask.. all in all its a trueUltraviolence, through and through.. just splendid for those who have the stomach. as far as game mechanics go, for me it took a little time to get used to, but the learning curve can be pretty steep, and it will definately sharpen your reflexes. ive beat the game, but i still want to unlock all the secrets and the alternative endings. not to mention the mask.. all in all its a true bargain. you get way more fun out of it, than you put money in. 9/10 Expand
  28. Mar 11, 2014
    It's got the Kill Bill style bloody weaponised mass murder expertly merged with the very up close, personal, drug-fueled ultra violence from A Clockwork Orange.
  29. Nov 4, 2012
    A personal favorite and personal indie GOTY, Hotline Miami allows you to relive the days of newgrounds and Xgenstudio's "Stickman Arena" with it's arcade, top-down, style. The gameplay isn't the only thing really mesmerizing about the title, though, the music was flawlessly chosen for the title to portray the feelings of the protagonist. Definitely cathartic and worth a try for anyone whoA personal favorite and personal indie GOTY, Hotline Miami allows you to relive the days of newgrounds and Xgenstudio's "Stickman Arena" with it's arcade, top-down, style. The gameplay isn't the only thing really mesmerizing about the title, though, the music was flawlessly chosen for the title to portray the feelings of the protagonist. Definitely cathartic and worth a try for anyone who can appreciate a retro style arcade title. Expand
  30. Oct 26, 2012
    Excellent game. The tension, the artistry, the speed, the strategy... A commendable and highly artistic rendation and critique of violence in popular media and an immense retro throwback make this game an instant cult hit. Granted, it's not for everyone but if you like vintage, tongue in cheeck humor and the 80's... go play it!
  31. Feb 23, 2013
    Hotline Miami is much more than what it appears to be. At first, it may seem a random 2D shooter game and that's it.
    You will kill (and die) a lot in this game, but that's definitely not all there is.
    Incredible as it may seem, it has a complex narrative. At first, there is no way to have an idea of what is going on, what you are doing and why, but gradually the pieces will fall into place, but not in a simple linear fashion.
    The environment of the 80's Miami is very beautiful and colorful and fits well with that era. And expect to see blood everywhere, yours and your enemies'.
    The music is incredible and also reflects well the atmosphere of the time besides the climate of the situations you face.

But the great jewel of the game is it's the gameplay.
    You can kill your enemies in countless different ways and with different types of weapons.
    In addition, you gain masks that give you special abilities that can be used to strengthen their playing style.
    The response of the controls is very fast, like the action, half a second of hesitation and you're dead.
    The game is not easy, and you will probably have to repeat some the missions several times, but it recognizes that, therefore the respawn is imediate.

For it's tipification, the game would have everything to be a frustrating experience, but quite on the contrary by all the factors cited here Hotline Miami becomes a very relaxing experience.

From the get-go, Miami’s presentation has a unique style, with vivid colors, generous amounts of post-process filtering and a stunning soundtrack (you will just let the game play on, only to hear the tracks). But at the same time, all notions of continuous fast-paced action gameplay disappear. Hotline Miami is essentially a top-down stealth game, that rewards the player with imaginative (and quite violent) kill animations. [January 2013]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    A stylish slice of retro carnage. This is the bloodiest, least forgiving game of the year. [Jan 2013, p.85]
  3. Dec 17, 2012