8.4

1. Oct 28, 2012
    It's sadistic fun at its best. Think super meat boy in top-down shmup with awesome 80s disco soundtrack and some weird tripping story interludes. A game that rewards you for perfectly timing smashing through a door, jumping on someone's face, bashing it in, taking their baseball bat, throwing it into the next room at a mobster's head, taking his gun, then shooting his friend in the room that is rushing at you with a crowbar. Then he wakes up from his daze and you pop him in the head, then all hell breaks loose as every single enemy on the map proceeds to enter the room you are in, and you only have 4 bullets remaining in this auto shotgun... so you hold back behind a corner of the doorway as they rush in "CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK" goes your mouse, and "BAM BAM BAM BAM" goes your shotgun... there's bloody mess EVERYWHERE but there's one guy left and he's running in with an assault rifle.... so instead you right click... and your autoshotgun goes flying across the room in your single last chance of faith in the game.... knocks the bodyguard out and then you storm him and jump on his face and keep bashing away until he stops moving and the last breathe of air escapes his now-limp corpse. Then a voice yells "GO BACK TO THE CAR!" while the smooth 80s disco beat continues to kick in. Oh how sexy you feel. If that sounds like your kind of game. GET ON BOARD Expand
  2. Nov 20, 2012
    Loud, violent, pulpy and bizarre, Hotline Miami submerges you in a sublime audio/visual state of trance that will make your head spin and leaves you craving for more!
  3. Jan 17, 2013
    Great game for satisfying the blood lust that my soul, blackened from violent videogames and Arnold Schwarzenegger movies, so desperately craves. Great as a birthday present.
  4. Oct 24, 2012
    1. This game has the best soundtrack I've ever heard.

2. It plays like Super Meat Boy with GTA graphucs and a Fear and Loathing in Vice City vibe.

3. It's ultra-violence at it's best.
  5. Oct 30, 2012
    This game is incredibly fun, and violent, and tense, and introspective, and uncomfortable. As one reviewer said "It's a game about the things you do in it". You don't beat it; it beats you.

Best summed up with this quote: "And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"
  6. Oct 25, 2012
    The game is rly fun to play.. it feels like loaded from psx or GTA1. It has a nice story that force you to use your imagination. You need skill to play this game.. at the beginning you will die a lot because the game is hard but with some practice you will get good fast and will start to enjoy the game. Hotline Miami is the kind of game that makes you rly use your brain.

You can play
    this game like a thief using only melee weapons or like Rambo.

Amazing soundtrack and old 16bit graphics.
  7. Nov 27, 2012
    This game is superb beyond mere mortal words. It along with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 & Max Payne 3 are my games of the year. The music is a pure eargasm & combined with the flawless strategic gameplay puts you in a murderous trance. It's like Manhunt, Crossed with the 8 bit games Spy Vs Spy, Elevator Action, with a dash of Tetris in spirit of the puzzle & flow. The violence would make Mortal Kombat blush. Never has looking through a mentally broken man's masked hazed vision been so rewarding, Story is among the best. The combined artistry from one developer murks whole multimillion dollar corporations efforts. This 1 man swedish developer is a beast & deserves to become a millionaire. Buy this game now! I hope it comes out on PSN & XBox live. Suda-51 bow to the creator of Hotline Miami he took your title of madman of gaming & understands great game design. Expand
  8. Jul 28, 2013
    Amazing indie game, the people who are giving it 0s and 1s out of spite are hipsters and angsty teens who are trying to be relevant for once in their lives. Don't let idiots cloud your vision, this is a must-get!
  9. Feb 14, 2013
    This has got to be one of the best games I have played in quite a while. There are many games that offer great gameplay but the stories are usually the very simple, easy to understand nonsense that is also present in all blockbuster movies. And with Hotline Miami, one doesn't just get a pathetic, half-assed attempt at something more complex and meaningful but actually a complete one. For the movie lovers: think Inception vs. Memento.
    As for the awesome music and art style and everything else... that's covered in so many reviews already...
    There are only two minor gripes I have with the game: Enemies often can't be hit when they stand very close to you (although that may be because one's weapon reaches through them.... there usually isn't enough time to analyze this...). And there are no online leaderboards. Which is really a damn shame for a game with a score system as this one. Then again... making people hunt high scores just for the fun of it may not even be what the developers had in mind?
  10. May 29, 2013
    An excellent little indie game with an astonishingly good soundtrack, interesting plot, and great game play. I couldn't stop playing until I completed it, which took me about 3 hours, but for only a few dollars this is entirely worth the short play time.
  11. May 13, 2013
    This is not a game for everybody. If you're really into story, this is not your game. If you don't like your reflexes to be challenged, this is not your game. If you need a game a $10 game to have tons of content, this is not your game. However, if you don't need a game to have a real story, if you love to be challenged to beat and even complete games, and if you love fast, twitchy gameplay, then this is most definitely your game. I'm one of those people, and this is one of my favorite games in years. This game knows it's intended audience, and if you're part of that group then you'll have a blast with this treat of a game. Expand
  12. Oct 23, 2012
    An excellent little indie title that is not without its flaws. Currently (at launch) there are some stability issues though the developers are fixing them as quickly as possible. Also, the stealth mission (mentioned in the Destructoid review) does really suck. Thankfully, the rest of the game makes up for it. It has one of the best soundtracks in any game I've played; I'll definitely be listening to it outside of the game.

The gameplay is fast paced and quite brutal but it requires you to be strategic or you'll quickly become overwhelmed. You can't zerg through this game, (nearly) everything kills you in a single hit. It isn't a very long game but what it offers is top notch (aside from that damn stealth level).
  13. Dec 28, 2013
    Don't listen to the idiots around here saying b*llsh*t about hotline miami..IT IS A GEM!!!Story and mood wise!U need an Xbox360 controller for sure,but it is worth your time...Violent,psycho,atmospheric plus a SUPER soundtrack!What else u want from an indie game 18+?It's on sale now!GO 'N' GET IT!!!
  14. Oct 26, 2012
    Hotline Miami is probably one of the best games of the year. The gameplay requires tactical thinking in a way that is almost puzzle-like, but it also requires extremely quick reflexes and skill. It's extremely fun and insanely addictive. The story is potent and meaningful, but also tongue in cheek, while the graphics are charming and colorful. But of all the presentation elements, it's the brilliant soundtrack that really takes the cake. If you think you can handle the punishment, then Hotline Miami is a must. Expand
  15. Dec 22, 2012
    this kind of games are the only ones that I really enjoy. Difficult, different to the rest of games and with adult content. The graphics and animations are awesome so as the faces (love the beard dude). I have no doubt that this is the goty of 2012, not those **** unlimited franchises that are all years the same game.
  16. Jun 21, 2013
    I felt like I was playing NeoGeo... controls were perfect... it just had this real arcade feel to it. I dig it. There are a lot of negative reviews that piss me off... learn how to play the game before you diss it. There's some serious strategy here and the fun factor and replay value is high. The colors, the music, the way it feels, can't be ufcked with.

Three top games in the last
    however many years: Shadow Complex, Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac, and Hotline Miami.

Werd to your moms.
  17. Dec 24, 2012
    Super fun. Not too long, but I got a good 6 hours out of it. I love the art style. Everyone agrees the music is great.

The game is a trip. Surreal story, immersing style and setting, addictive gameplay. I paid $5 for it, and I would have paid more.
  18. Oct 30, 2012
    Full review: http://newgameplus.co/pc/hotline-miami-review/

Hotline Miami, from indie developer Dennaton Games, is a hard-hitting, visceral experience. It starts in a dark alleyway where a nameless observer instructs you to kill three men. The first two with your fists, the last one with a baseball bat. The violence in Hotline Miami is brutal. It isn
  19. Jan 21, 2014
    Let me break it all to you guys, this game is for those who enjoy: 1) GTA I & II, 2) Psychodelic/Progressive Music, 3) Arcade rush, 4) Arcade Graphics

Pure 80's/90's awesome.
  20. Nov 4, 2012
    A personal favorite and personal indie GOTY, Hotline Miami allows you to relive the days of newgrounds and Xgenstudio's "Stickman Arena" with it's arcade, top-down, style. The gameplay isn't the only thing really mesmerizing about the title, though, the music was flawlessly chosen for the title to portray the feelings of the protagonist. Definitely cathartic and worth a try for anyone who can appreciate a retro style arcade title. Expand
  21. Nov 18, 2013
    I think this game made it to my top 10 its fast paced action old school graphics and has nice music. The theme of the game is also very good along with the 80s setting
  22. Oct 26, 2012
    Excellent game. The tension, the artistry, the speed, the strategy... A commendable and highly artistic rendation and critique of violence in popular media and an immense retro throwback make this game an instant cult hit. Granted, it's not for everyone but if you like vintage, tongue in cheeck humor and the 80's... go play it!
  23. Dec 2, 2012
    Great music, very atmospheric and controls are great. The feeling you get when you throw a knife across the room or blow somebody's head into pieces feels so good! Pick this game up, you will not regret it.
  24. Oct 29, 2012
    Ultraviolence, through and through.. just splendid for those who have the stomach. as far as game mechanics go, for me it took a little time to get used to, but the learning curve can be pretty steep, and it will definately sharpen your reflexes. ive beat the game, but i still want to unlock all the secrets and the alternative endings. not to mention the mask.. all in all its a true bargain. you get way more fun out of it, than you put money in. 9/10 Expand
  25. Jan 16, 2014
    A gaming masterpiece.

I picked this bad boy up on Steam yesterday for $2.49 but even at its full price of $10 I wouldn't have been disappointed. A brutally tough and gory retro romp through a psychedelic 80's Miami. What's not to love?

The audio is sensational. The various weapons and sound effects are crisp and as for the musical score? It's available as a standalone purchase if
    that's any indication of the quality ;)

The graphical style is a tip-of-the-hat to yesteryear gaming - there's even a pixelated NES hooked up in the protagonist's, bedroom. When you consider this game was developed by a team of two men and the finished product we have is a refresh of an old game concept put on a 'maybe pile,' any commenters that suggest this game is merely a 'hipster' money grab have made their opinion null and void.

Gameplay wise, I couldn't help but be reminded of True Lies for the SNES, but the unforgiving enemies and one-hit (for the most part) kills have a Smash TV vibe to them. But this game is unique. You can approach a stage a number of ways, by perhaps either stealthily knifing everyone as their back is turned, or trying to funnel enemies through a choke point with 6 shotgun rounds at the ready. In later levels you'll need every trick in the book to make through alive.

In summary, if you like a challenge and some good old fashioned violence, buy this game!
  26. Nov 25, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant game, surefire candidate for game of the year next to The Walking Dead. The game is very well planned, mechanics unique, and the game itself is completely unique. Soundtrack is great and fits perfectly, and this incredible playability. As for the story at the beginning of it at all does not feel - I just perform some tasks masked guests. At one point, after a certain event, but I will not say what because I do not want to do spoilers, the game turns upside down and the story would normally dent in the seat or chair, depending on where we sit. Many may not like the pixel visuals, but to me it just did not bother and I think the graphics are very well matched. I would recommend to anyone, especially to players who like to play an independent and tactical game, because these species are undoubtedly the work. Expand
  27. Jun 10, 2013
    Yes it's indie, yes the grains suck, and yes it's a great game. It seems most people are bashing it solely on its graphics and indieness, but that's shallow. This is a very good game with a little bit of stealth, action, and tactics.
  28. Jul 13, 2013
    I know this isn't the best game in the history. it's far from it. BUT, it brings to me wonderful memories from great games from the past, that made my childhood awesome, like NES Mission: Impossible, and PC GTA 2. Now, about the game itself, i'ts awesome, it's hard, and it's beatiful. It has minor cons, but we have to evalute him like the way the creators made it. Is not for everyone, the game it's basically about dying a lot, but learning a lot too. Juego increíble, gracias por traer mis mejores recuerdos de infancia de vuelta. Expand
  29. Oct 26, 2012
    There's been a while since I didn't play anything so addictive as this game. I'd even dare to say it feels far more immersive than nowadays boring and unchallenging AAA titles. If you have any real knowledge about video games and good taste, then you'll enjoy this game. The artistry and music are also awesome. It definitely is a must buy.
  30. Feb 20, 2014
    This thing hit all the right spots. It's retro and it's new, it's challenging and it's fun, it's serious and it's not, it's linear and it's subversive, it's atmospheric to the point of mysticism and it's actually crude reality. All the elements of the game from the graphics to the music to the plot to the gameplay mix together so well it's, pardon the pun, criminal. Plus, for an indie 2d game this has some shockingly realistic combat mechanics! Think about it: this is exactly what would happen if you burst into a building full of mafia thugs.

...minus the retry button.
  31. Oct 29, 2012
    Not perfect, but astoundingly brilliant nonetheless. The gameplay requires some learning. This means you'll die. A lot, which will be perfectly fine more often than not thanks to the bite-sized levels. It also means that if you manage to adapt and learn, you'll get better. Even though It will remain tricky and unforgiving (and therefore challenging and engaging) due to the way the aiming system works, you will gradually become able to pull off bold and risky moves, and you'll be rewarded for it with a sense of achievement. It's the ultimate reward a game can give you, it's something various systems out there try to replicate in a somewhat callous way with badges made of pixels, and it is something that comes naturally to this particular game.

The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic as well. I really don't know anything about music so I'll shut up (after saying just this): I think that not only it is good in its own right, but that it also perfectly fits and maybe even extends the most excellent experience that is Hotline Miami. I knocked a point because I'm left-handed: The use of the shift key is a big no-no of awkwardness for me, and there currently is no way around this. A patch is on the way, but I really think it should have been in the release.

In the end, if you're a gaming rat that gets into nerd rage fits at the sight of anything that is not the formatted Skinner box he has been taught to like, don't buy this.

On the other hand, if you are more of an open-minded type of gaming rat, this little gem of a game will reward you amply for your time and your attention.
  32. Nov 11, 2013
    Fenomenal experience. it is such an incredible game which you will need to play in order to see how incredible it really is. The soundtracks and the storyline completely mesmerize me into a virtual reality.
  33. Dec 10, 2012
    INDIE GAME OF THE YEAR FTW, Great music soundtrack, Brilliantine gritty knife throwing game play, engading and interesting story, AN ORIGINAL CONCEPT DIFFIDENTLY WORTH ALL YOUR MONEYS
  34. Dec 7, 2012
    I think this game is a very interesting mix of modern and retro. You have this pumping modern soundtrack with 80's visual design and modern gameplay. It's hard like old games, but not unfair like old, bad games. It's easy to pick up and each floor is like a checkpoint.
    The simple but disturbing Dayid Lynch-esque backstory is really the icing on the cake.
  35. Nov 25, 2012
    This game is the most brutal addictive game I've played this year. The storyline is good and fun but the best part is the soundtrack as it ads to Hotline Miami's feel. You play as jacket as he gets messages through his answering machine you fallow his brutal violent lifestyle. You kill by knocking them down with your fists though you can get guns and alot of melee weapons to smash your way through this version of Miami. Plus you can now use your Xbox controller. Expand
  36. Oct 29, 2012
    I enjoy the fact that this game kicks my butt. I'm fairly good at games and this thing is tough! I like the fact that it actually takes skill. There are things I don't like about it (lack of options, minor physics issues, and even more minor control issues) but they are mostly blurred in the background while I'm killing people mindlessly. There are different masks to be worn which give you certain advantages and unlockable weapons to use which generate randomly. The replay isn't fueled so much by that though, its more just the release of stress you get from bashing in a whole bunch of sprited heads (they are bad guys though and they deserve such treatment). Expand
  37. Feb 23, 2013
    Hotline Miami is much more than what it appears to be. At first, it may seem a random 2D shooter game and that's it.
    You will kill (and die) a lot in this game, but that's definitely not all there is.
    Incredible as it may seem, it has a complex narrative. At first, there is no way to have an idea of what is going on, what you are doing and why, but gradually the pieces will fall into
    place, but not in a simple linear fashion.
    The environment of the 80's Miami is very beautiful and colorful and fits well with that era. And expect to see blood everywhere, yours and your enemies'.
    The music is incredible and also reflects well the atmosphere of the time besides the climate of the situations you face.

But the great jewel of the game is it's the gameplay.
    You can kill your enemies in countless different ways and with different types of weapons.
    In addition, you gain masks that give you special abilities that can be used to strengthen their playing style.
    The response of the controls is very fast, like the action, half a second of hesitation and you're dead.
    The game is not easy, and you will probably have to repeat some the missions several times, but it recognizes that, therefore the respawn is imediate.

For it's tipification, the game would have everything to be a frustrating experience, but quite on the contrary by all the factors cited here Hotline Miami becomes a very relaxing experience.
  38. Dec 3, 2012
    Hotline Miami is an excellent game. The game's artistic direction is great - the moment you turn the game on, you'll be sucked into it's universe, and it will be difficult to let go. It's like playing a bizarre music video. The colorful but gritty graphics seem to dance to it's pumping soundtrack

The controls are easy to get and the game mechanics will soon lead you to a sequence of
    combos, and the game will reward you for your boldness and suicidal tactics. The masks you can choose can make a difference, so this game ain't no trial-and-error as some guys say. Some levels I would go all John Rambo on one moment, and in the other, I would catch a knife and give the enemies a Michael Myers slash-fest.

The stealth level is a tad frustrating, but not THAT much. If you make good use of your 'look ahead' action, it will help you a lot.

I highly recommend this to everyone!
  39. Aug 21, 2013
    A Subversive, disturbing, addictive game and packaged with an unrivaled soundtrack that produces a not-entirely-stable altered state in my brain. It's 180 proof distillation of 80's Miami Vice nostalgia, pseudo 12bit gaming, gore-a-fied violence, and corset tight gameplay combined with neurosis inducing difficulty.

It also digs into the narrative and psychology of wearing masks (do you
    wear the mask, or does it wear you?) and on whether questions need to be answered to provide a compelling story.

And the music? My god. From wild spaced out country-influenced-dub, to psychotic driving electro and exposed-nerve disco. The music will be slithering around in your brain long after your eyes lose their bloodshot state you gained from playing the game.

Even in a year with some incredible releases like Mass Effect 3 and Walking Dead, this is my Game of the Year for 2012.

...It makes me want to buy a mask.
  40. Oct 26, 2012
    Hotline Miami is a Indie done right. The combination of stealth and gruesome combat is great! The visual style with neon-colors and the great soundtrack underpin a really surreal and quite interesting plot that connects all of the murder scenes. This is by far the best Indie game I've ever played even surpassing FTL and Meatboy. Don't miss this but be warned that it's an adult theme.
  41. Nov 3, 2012
    This is not a game that everyone will enjoy. It presents a disconcerting, neon-glowing underworld through which the player is propelled by addictive, ultra-violent game mechanics. These actions, and their motivations, are turned on the player by posing them as questions - both outright, and implicitly, when the violence reaches its stomach-turning peaks. Hotline Miami presents one of the strongest explorations of video game violence and player motivations ever put to binary. It is also an important game. It brings to a mass audience what indie games are capable of: tackling issues that mainstream games **** around to avoid offending the press and the public, as well as eschewing the linear criteria of what's considered "quality" presentation in games. The game would be no better with more advanced graphics - in fact, the themes would be diluted by a greater focus on realism. The neon lights coupled with streaking blood and bright pink gore act like a scribbled highlighter on a page. The iconography of the character art works towards setting the player up: each enemy is faceless, their silhouettes only changing to convey what type of threat they are. They are set up to be classified as problems to be solved. This is what makes the questions posed to the player so powerful.

The game is fun. But it's a strange kind of fun. I would implore you to try it with an open mind, without trying to frame it or categorize it at first. Like a great art-house film, it feels very "complete" in what it sets out to do, which goes above and beyond trivial issues such as "I don't like 2d art" or "why is there no health bar". Those who fail to open up to new experience miss out on a lot in life, this game being no exception...
  42. Oct 26, 2012
    I've just stopped playing Hotline Miami for 4 hours straight and I would like to play more, but I have to put a limit somewhere! It's fun, intense and it's got interesting story, too. It's really hard and you have to try different strategies to survive unfair fights. Controls works well, but you can't change them (at least, at the moment) and that's a minus. Graphics are what you could expect from 80's-90's. True blast from the past. Art is good and music... Music is awesome. I don't even listen that kind of music normally and still I can't help but grin when one of those great tracks starts. There's lots of dark humor and, as you progress, things start to turn more and more twisted. Even though this game is extremely violent, in subtle ways, this game is actually against mindless violence. Who would have thought that this kind of little game could make such impact. I recommend this to everyone, who wants to have a tough challenge while listening very good music. I think even those, who demand AAA -class graphics will enjoy this game. I know I will. Expand
  43. Oct 27, 2012
    Hotline Miami produces an amazing atmosphere - a cross between a David Lynch movie and 'Drive'. The soundtrack is amazing, and mixed with the great game play, Hotline really gets your adrenaline pumping. A must buy.
  44. Nov 1, 2012
    I picked up this game the other day and I haven't been able to stop playing it. I'd say it's got a lot of things going for it, and I'm somewhat baffled by some of the more negative reviews I have read on here from other users. It is a top down shooter controlled by the keyboard for movement and the mouse for aiming. I can understand how the controls may give some people a hrd time, but I felt them clicking within about an hour of play. In my experience so far, it is incredibly easy to control, and I now find myself flying through levels at speeds that would have terrified me when I first started playing. The game is fast, brutal, and completely unforgiving. I have heard it compared to Trials HD on XBL, and that comparison is completely warranted. They are fundamentally different games, but they have that same rapid-fail, rapid-restart system that encourages experimentation and switching up yourstrategies to try to find the most painless, combo-streaking way to tear through the army of enemies littering the level. The use of violence, especially given the old-school graphics, is surprisingly over-the-top and visceral, and even manages to be unsettling to a certain degree, especially when, at the end of each level, you have to march back out to your car through a sea of mutilated bodies and blood covering the building. I have beaten the game through 3 times at this point, and I can't wait to get off of work to go back and blast my way through it again. It's simple, it's challenging, it's very unique (I can't think of any game to compare the actual minute-to-minute gameplay to) and I LOVE IT. It may not be for absolutely everyone, but it has won me over in a big way. If you're the kind of gamer who likes a challenge, and is up for mastering a new type of game you may not have extensive experience with already, this game is for you, and it's badass. My only real complaint in this flood of praise is that the game is kind of short, and with the simplicity of the basic mechanics, i'm a little disappointed that they couldn't throw in a few more level than what is there. But for 10 bucks, I definitely found it to be worth my money. Collapse
  45. Nov 4, 2012
    Two guys. Old and primitive technology (Game Maker 7.1, 2007). One wonderful game in old-school hardcore style. Fantastic environment and atmosphere: from soundtrack to visual effects. Well designed gameplay / mechanics. It's godlike!
  46. Nov 6, 2012
    Not everyone is going to "get" Hotline Miami - it's difficult, the graphics are purposefully out-dated, and the story is just bizarre (imagine if Drive were directed by David Lynch). Just like Lynch's films, Hotline Miami isn't a game for the mainstream hordes, it's most likely going to attract a niche market - and like most independent films and games it offers a solitary experience like no other game. If you become accustomed to the difficulty, and get drawn into the mystery behind the story, then this game is incredibly addictive and is well worth your time, patience and effort. Expand
  47. Nov 7, 2012
    Gameplay, music, atmosphere, difficulty, story i give 10 for that. Maybe graphics are retro style but i love retro games so i give 10 for that aswell ;D Game is amazing it isGOTY for me, playing it gave me more fun than anything that come out this year, and i play alot... Game developers needs to play this game and learn, stop doing re-skins, fancy looking games with **** gameplay, and tons of crap that come out recently... This game ROX so much i recomend it to anyone. Expand
  48. Feb 6, 2013
    A hazy, grimy and unapologetically brutal rampage through an 80s tinted world, or a subversive and though-provoking look into the pervasiveness of excess violence in video games and media in general? Decide on whichever you want, as none of these questions really matter when you're actually down playing this wonderfully addictive, and surprisingly tactical, kill-fest.
  49. Nov 14, 2012
    Excellent old-school game with atmosphere of GTA1 and SVGA vintage style. Best for hardcore gamers who get tired from modern games. Market is full of retro-platformers but this is something different and will please virtually anyone.
  50. Nov 17, 2012
    The old-style graphics mixed with a sinister and dark plot as a beat-em up game is genius, and I spent six-ten hours completing it normally, then just using melee/my fists unless I absolutely had to use guns. The game is absolutely enjoyable, and I advise you buy it.
  51. Aug 14, 2013
    This is probably the bloodiest and violent games I've ever played. You wouldn't think that working your way through a stage and getting it all wiped because of one bullet would be so fun. You're forced to play fast-paced and almost thoughtlessly if you want to get a good score at the end of the chapter.

You'll find yourself pressing 'R' to restart more than any other button and you'll
    find yourself doing the same thing on a chapter over and over again until you eventually do it. But somehow whether it be the psychadelic soundtrack or the flashing background this game is still amazingly fun and replayable. Expand
  52. Dec 3, 2012
    I got far more out of this than I was expecting.

I respect this game for being retro not just for the sake of being retro. The retro graphics suit the overall feel of the 1980's setting and the amazing soundtrack (also retro) hits the sweet spot. At first I thought there was no real story to the game, but as I pressed harder, I got a hold of what the developers were trying to achieve
    and jumped down the bunny hole in no time flat. I don't want to spoil anything for you, so I'll let you figure out what's going on. I can tell you one thing: once you finish a chapter, the music cuts out as you're forced to walk back to your car through hordes of dead bodies. You really start to ponder your character's motives and his reasons for answering all of these random calls, even after he throws up out of sheer disgust at what he did during the first chapter. By far the most interesting aspect of the game though is the gameplay. You have to use everything you can find to your advantage, especially since both you and your enemies have a one-hit kill lifespan. The stealth isn't great, but you do have to time your moves and predict when enemies will rush out (and I mean RUSH OUT) or shoot you. Like you can do to your enemies, your enemies can kill you in the blink of an eye. You. Will. Die. Countless. Times. You can take out other baddies with guns at ease, but since guns are so loud, they attract the attention of people surrounding you. You'd want to use melee weapons as much as you can, but only they can get you so far. Enough of me rambling, here's my bottom line: If retro fast-paced action strategy games with a compelling and fantastically thought-out plot and narration suit you, then this game comes highly recommended. Expand
  53. May 3, 2013
    “简单、直接、暴力、挑战”,因为语言问题无法了解故事情节,但并不影响这款游戏的独特体验。操作非常的简单,很快就能适应;杀与被杀都是直接了当,绝不拖泥带水;爆头,断肢,血浆一点也不少;被杀后只要按R键就可以从这个楼层从新开始,快速投入到令人血脉喷张的战斗中。游戏有丰富的武器和道具供你使用,高强度的电子乐,绝对刺激,绝对少儿不宜!
  54. Dec 17, 2012
    Pedro said that hotline miami is very good and he bought overlord to wipe your ass so that did not pay. And his mother took it and put it on the shelf of your home zazaTR your coconut.
  55. Dec 18, 2012
    Hotline Miami is my GOTY. I was a late adopter, and originally pretty skeptical of the high reviews; the gameplay clips didn't really sell it for me. I had a number of friends who encouraged me to purchase the game, telling me I'd love the story and style. I gambled my $10 and it paid off, bigtime!

It's a slick game, wonderful controls, fast-paced and really a rewarding experience when
    you beat a difficult level or stage. I am usually not into these types of face-paced trial-and-error arcade games, but this is the exception for me. At times it plays like a puzzle game (timing and approach is key, and can make or break a good run), other times it feels like Grand Theft Auto, running and gunning and spewing carnage.

The story is a mix of Kafka, Refn, and Kubrick and really appeals to me. It's not everybody's favourite flavour, but if you even think this kind of surrealist hyper-violence would appeal, then it absolutely will. Not to mention the glorious soundtrack that just reinforces every design decision in the game.

This game has made me take serious notice of the developers, Dennaton Games. I will absolutely buy the sequel/DLC to Hotline Miami, I will likely purchase their previous works, and will be paying close attention to their future endeavours. The only reason it gets 9/10 and not 10/10 is... I need to leave them SOME room to impress me more!

Don't Miss this game!
  56. Jan 26, 2013
    This is way more than a game, this is an inspiration! This is a game that makes you feel in a way that you can't describe.

Gameplay - 10/10
    Soundtrack - 10/10
    Storyline - 10/10
    Art style - 10/10

This is pure art. The developers are genius!
  57. Dec 23, 2012
    As well as being an incredibly exciting game which very smoothly brings puzzle elements into the top-down combat model it adopts, this is an arty and fascinating exploration of the psychopath. Don't let anyone tell you it's wrong to enjoy this game, it's intelligently designed and I had a great time.
  58. Dec 28, 2012
    Okay, the game is just AMAZING. 10/10. BUT you should be aware that there are problems with steam achievements right now, sometimes AI seems really stupid and there is no in-game support of steam overlay. Devs are working on these issues. Other than that, awesome game.
  59. Dec 26, 2012
    You can feel the true essence of hard boiled through all the game, it's like a good old game with a great and mysterious story. By the way, the music it's just perfect. Nothing bad, so for me it's a ten.
  60. Dec 27, 2012
    First of all, I haven't completed the game, but I am close, and I fell that I have played enough to review it. Hotline Miami is a simple, yet gorgeous game! This game is a shooter, and a hard one. The average enemy needs one or two shots, or a single hit from a meele weapon, and so do you, so be careful! The gameplay is seen from above, and the game consists of 15 chapters, or levels, wich mostly concludes several maps.

If you get a good score in a chapter, you will unlock new masks, with special abilities, and you'll also unlock weapons, wich can be found later on.

The game also has a story, a twisted one, but I am not gonna spoil anything, play it for yourselves.

The graphics of the game is pixelated, wich I think is fine personally; the game would've been badder if it was 'realistic' graphics in my opinion.

The soundtrack is good, and fitting for the most situations. It's mostly electronic music.

There is a few minor bugs here and there, like enemies going through walls, wich only happend once.

Other than that, I can't say much more about the game; it's good, heart pumping, and difficult. I like that kind of games.
  61. Dec 8, 2013
    Pros: -Simple and challenging gameplay -The challenge isn't frustrating as much as it is motivating -Good soundtrack -Lot of sprite on sprite violence. Cons: -Gameplay is rather repetitive -Story kind of fizzles out and the end is just thrown in last minute. -7 hours long...or less if youre better at video games than me Conclusion: While gameplay is repetitive it never really feels repetitive. The challenge always keeps it interesting even though you're basically doing the same thing (killing everybody in the room) every level. If you enjoy older style of games like asteroid, pacman, and space invaders where it's the same thing every level but just on a different map or with slight tweaks then you'll love this. For some reason it reminds me of the movie "Drive" with Ryan Gosling. Expand
  62. Jan 18, 2013
    The best game i've played since a whole ages. Soundtrack is making me play harder and harder. Violence, violence and violence makes it even better. Can play again and again just to make better scores. Masterpiece! The story is simple and straight forward, also makes You to play and finish game. Ending like in an old school games. Totally back to the past. I want more games like this one, please !
  63. Jan 21, 2013
    Fast paced and gory action make Hotline Miami a blast to play. The style and music add to the experience and the odd character story line keeps things moving. The pace for this game is perfect. Each level gets gradually more difficult and the enemies you face grow. Even though it is a top down 2d shooter, it is as twitched based as a FPS can get with enemies using almost instant reflexes. Just a fun game. Expand
  64. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is just fun. I don't dig this retro craze as much as most people, but don't get me wrong, this game is bags of fun. Killing people in stylish combo-ey manners hasn't been this frustrating, challenging but just so much adrenaline this game makes you feel like you're on a roller coaster ride. This music just adds so much flavour into this game. I cannot give it anymore high praise. Fun and not to mention reasonably priced Expand
  65. Feb 4, 2013
    Laughing at all the people who say this is for hipsters... Retro graphics are a legitimate stylistic choice, and one that fits the brutal, straight-up tone of this masterpiece perfectly. There are a (very) few low points such as the no-combat stealth mission, but the vast majority of the levels are perfectly tuned carnage machines. The consistent enemy layout and extreme speed of death and restarting make Hotline Miami play almost like a high-octane puzzle game, though orders of magnitude more violent than most, while randomizing weapons and imperfectly predictable AI keep things interesting. This last point is annoying to some, who want to be able to memorize the entire level a la Super Meat Boy, but I think totally static levels would have robbed the game of its spirit and replayability. Expand
  66. Feb 7, 2013
    Fantastic question asker that brings you into the mind of a serial killer with a massive rewarding ending that doesn't leave you questioning with enjoyable combat and massive replay ability that makes you want to just improve on everything you do in the game
  67. Feb 13, 2013
    Pros:
    Unique in the best way
    Fantastic music
    Tactile controls and combat
    Fantastic Music

Cons:
    Over too soon
    Story kinda goes no where

Overall:
    A top down, 16 bit, murder spree? Heavy Techno beats? Tense, trial and error gameplay? A strange but addicting combination that hypnotizes without frustrating.
  68. Nov 7, 2013
    Hotline gives you a different game-play style. I wish there was a CO-OP mode also, but it is still perfect game in Singleplayer. You can not compare Hotline Miami with any other game. It is unique in these days i think. It brings some good memories from "old days". And you never get bored, but sometimes, you just feel that, missions repeat themselves. Still a good game.
  69. Oct 7, 2013
    This game is perfect, a flashback to the old times of gaming. Excellent controls, a certain need for strategy while playing, lovely graphics and catchy tunes. The plot is crazy but intriguing, and once you finish it you feel like playing again to get all the unlockables and secrets.
    If you like old school games this is a must.
  70. Jul 19, 2013
    Awesome Indie game!
    I loved the theme and story of this game, they were really well done. They could not have done any better at creating an old school/retro feel to the game.
    The gameplay/combat is basically "trial and error." It can be challenging at first, because it is extremely unique, but it grows on you.
    This has become my go-to game when I don't have a lot of time but need to be
    violent for a few minutes.
    I want so badly to give this game a 10/10. But at a base price of 10 bucks, I have to chop a point off for lack of content vs. price.
  71. May 29, 2013
    Hotline Miami is a top-down fast paced action shooter with an excellent story and alternative 80's artstyle. I won't spoil too much but as you progress the story you unlock masks, which give you special abilities. You start out with a rooster mask that does nothing, but eventually you work your way up to masks that let you move faster or start with a knife. I can understand why some people call it repetitive but it's only repetitive if you make it. There are tons of masks, weapons and different tactics to try out.

Overall, an utterly amazing game. The screenshots and previews simply don't do it justice, I implore you to buy it.
  72. Nov 1, 2013
    Its simple and fun and definitely on my list for Indie game of the year. It just feels like an 80's exploitation film, and reminds me of a lot of crime films from the time. Its easy to get addicted in its clever gameplay and you'll never get tired of cracking a dude over the head with a baseball bat, or finding other gruesome ways to kill your opponents.
  73. Mar 20, 2013
    I found Hotline Miami to be a great game. The story was vague but you could make it what you wanted it to be, that's why I liked it. I admit gameplay was repetitive but it was still fun throughout. Besides aren't all games repetitive? While Hotline Miami wasn't groundbreaking, you can still call me a fan. Can't wait for the sequel.
  74. Mar 22, 2013
    This game has one of the most captivating story-lines of any game that I've played in a while, it has an amazing soundtrack and it's very re-playable.
  75. Dec 21, 2013
    not sure whats wrong with the negative opinions, the game is responsive and fast peaced, if you pllayed for about 5 minutes and broke your keyboard out of frustration you're doing it wrong. Yes the game might seem 'hard' at first since you can die easily but once you play a bit and figure that you can actually take out 2 guys with guns with a mele weapon just by being quick and when you score your 4+ combo for the first time I think that you will enjoy it much better.

About the repetitiveness if you measure it by the fact that you're doing the same thing than yeah 90% of the games are repetitive. Enemies doesnt always spawn the same way, sometimes they open doors and check other areas sometime they dont.

The graphics are as they are, like 90s games were, you can clearly tell that by the screenshots so you're aware of what you're buying. You might like it or not, its relative thing. If you played better 'flash games' list them I'm curious about that.
  76. May 13, 2013
    This game is a 10 out of 10, because it´s giving you goosebumps with its soundtrack, gameplay, gore, design and story. It´s polished, it´s the personification of the 80´s. Ever wanted a real Miami game, a cold gory fascinating, rewarding game? Something perfect like this is rare. This is an important game of this generation. Watch Drive play Hotline Miami and maybe some GTA Vice City. There was a time people felt great, the 80´s. Best Movies, best music, beaches, it gives you such a nostalgic feeling even if you are not from the 80´s. It´s incredible. No bugs, perfect, challenging gameplay, addiction to the soundtrack, Awesome and fair Level Design. This game is like Metro or Stalker. The atmosphere will grab you and you will never forget this game! BUY IT! BUY IT NOW! Expand
  77. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is one of the best indie games that I have played in a long time. I literally spent a whole day dedicated to this game. Its brutal, fun, and addicting, and that's all I need for a decent game.
  78. Jun 12, 2013
    Anyone who gave this a negative review obviously doesn't get the game. It's supposed to have graphics, it has an amazing soundtrack (which made me less angry after 1000 deaths), and the scoring system makes replay-ability an option. I got this in a humble bundle, so I can't complain about the price.

You will die in the blink of an eye if you're not careful, but it brings back memories
    of older games where trial and error was part of the fun. You can master levels, because nothing changes and I think that's a great feature.

Buy it and you won't be disappointed. If you're a graphics lover, stay away and go play big development on your colossal gaming rig.
  79. May 17, 2013
    Game is awesome soundtrack is awesome price is awesome graphics are correct. This game is just awesome.
    Runs on Windows, Mac and Linux (Linux port is planned for may, so in max 10 days we have it). 10/10 nothing more to say.
  80. Nov 19, 2013
    this is isnt about the damn grapichs story or characters....
    one of the best things in this game is the soundtrack...but i really loved this cause of the fact that you die as easly as your enemies...
    all the 8-16 kids are about the "ugly" grapichs..this is a retro game..it isnt for "hipsters" its a game for "veteran" games..who worent born with fancy grapichs...i have ppl who only like
    games for theyr grapichs..
    im 14..but i accept and like many many games..i started playing game from when i was 6 and at the age or 10-11 i finally discovered that games arent about grapichs...
    of couse if the grapichs are really bad (for that year) and it isnt an indie or an retro game as this is it usualy means that the hole game wont be the best..
    i loved this game..some ppl just nead to realize that games arent only about grapichs
  81. Jun 25, 2013
    Bizarre, fast paced, and gory in the best way possible. A little annoyingly difficult at moments but that's not neccessarily a bad thing. A very good game, not the best ever, but very good.
  82. Jul 1, 2013
    Ignore any reviewer who complains about the graphics, or mentions the word 'hipster' they will have nothing meaningful to say.

Sorry, but had to start with that. Yes, you're not buying a graphical pushing game, there are plenty of flash games with 'better' graphics, but this was the style they wanted and it fits the music and whole theme...It won't win awards, but as has been said
    playing a game for it's graphics is like watching porn for the plot.

It can be tough, but I guarantee 75% of the deaths you suffer will be your fault...and you'll learn from them. You'll plan your run, then panic lob a shotgun at someone and sprint round a corner into a dog or forget the glass for the 100th time. You could probably complete all the levels in an afternoon but if you can pick it up for around $5 that's cheaper then a lot of evenings entertainment. And you will be entertained.

It's a good game, and the 'plot' that is there and unfolds is just enough and just little enough to make you question things...you'll WANT to play more, to finish that level to see the next one....and the soundtrack to it is perfectly matched.

Only a few gripes it's a little short, and to some extent limited replay value. I doubt I'd replay it for a while but I can see myself coming back in a year or 2. Some of the boss fights are just a little annoying, the biker has been mentioned by others, but really you'll get it in the end just the dialog every-time was needless

I'd say it's more 8.5 but having to go one way or the other on the simple fact that it's a fun solid cheap game with a well played story and a great soundtrack it more then deserves the 9
  83. Jul 4, 2013
    Este juego me ha encantado. Me lo pasé en casa de un amigo y luego me lo compré para tenerlo siempre. Es increíble que un juego tan "simple" me haya gustado tantisimo. La música es un 10. Y no le pongo un 10 porque el juego no es infinito. Algun pequeño bug en la inteligencia de los enemigos, pero nada importante para mi. Ha llegado a acelerarme el corazón hasya casi salirse por la boca. Gracias! Os lo habéis currado mucho! Expand
  84. Jul 6, 2013
    Rarely has a game completely captivated me only once or twice is a gamer captivated and blown away by what is in essence an awesome game that makes you realize why you play video games at all. The first ever video game to captivate me and instantly make me smile was outrun on the master system then grand theft auto on the ps one baldurs gate on the pc and now hotline miami is ranked among them. I believe a 10 out of 10 game is original and instantly captivating and hotline miami does this graphically its fun and retro and makes sense to why it is done in this way, the story strange weird and surreal and edgy artistically done, the music simply best music ever in a video game quite possibly. Hotline miami is a game if you were born in the 80s and can remember robocop vs terminator for its sheer awesomeness this game has that is abundance. Hotline miami exhumes aura soul and personality in a simple way its all about quality outrun has it gta has it and hotline miami has it without doubt the best game iv played in the past couple of years and thats saying alot rarely can you call a game timeless a game where in 10 years time i know i will still play and have that strange complete satisfaction. Expand
  85. Sep 25, 2013
    Hotline Miami gives what no other game can do, it has a perfect mix of strategy, stealth, and action, and it also has unique music and graphics, people may say it's hard but it makes the player strategize and make lots of different tactics on each stage.
  86. Aug 4, 2013
    Imagine the neon saturated visual stylings of the film "Enter the Void" with the violence of the film "Drive" with one of the best heavy, synth-driven soundtracks ever you have Hotline Miami. Seriously, how could you not like this game??? Even the most die hard black metal or folk listeners should be able to get into this!!! And if you don't like video games then you damn well should (for this game)! Expand
  87. Nov 2, 2013
    An amazing game, if you like grand theft auto or man hunt you will like this game, if you dont like gta or manhunt YOU WILL STILL LIKE THIS GAME. ultra violent and retro.
  88. Sep 30, 2013
    First let me say this is one of those games that is exactly what is advertised, and executes it perfectly, so the only reason to play it and hate it is if you're braindead, read the description, watch the video and say wow I totally wont like this game but ill buy it anyway so that i can be a giant COQ. This is just one of those great games, the kind that aren't very long but makes you love every second you have with it. Don't let the retro graphics fool you, the game play is fast paced murder disco cocaine party! You may try to be all tactical on your fist run, but then you'll die a few times and just say, fuk this and charge in, which ends up working way better. Now its a punishing game where you die A LOT but the game restarts the floor for you before you have time to say OH COQ. I see way to many people trying to compare it to instead of just enjoying it for what it is. Expand
  89. Oct 19, 2013
    Definitely one of the best games I have ever played. Once you get into it you will be hooked. Even if you are playing the same level over and over trying to complete it whilst swearing and smashing your desk at every failure, the thrill of beating the hardest levels will keep you playing. The soundtrack is also fantastic, you will spend hours in a pumped up Hot Line Miami trance. A must have game!
  90. Jan 31, 2014
    Probably the best game I have ever played! As of writing this review, this is the only game I would give 10/10 to. PROS: +The controls are tight and well flowing. +The story is interesting, and makes you think more than you would expect an arcade style game to make you. +The soundtrack is one of the best I have ever heard! +It is so satisfying for even the most simple of kills - not to mention how amazing it feels when you finally beat a level.
    +It is very difficult, which normally annoys me a tad-bit, but this game adds re-playability through it's extreme difficulty.
    +The simple graphics make it easy to continue through the game; what I mean is the kills make you cringe in the 2D style - imagine if it was 3D and realistic! Yuck!
    CONS:
    -I don't know, maybe you don't like the colors?
  91. Jan 22, 2014
    This harsh gritty top down arcade style shoot'em up, is one of the greatest indie games ever made. Everything in this game is flawless, the art, the music, the controls, and the story. Let's start with the art style, the game has an interesting mix of retro pixel art mixed with some bright colors and trippy visuals later on in the game. The its hard not to keep looking at the screen because the art just has you so mystified. Next is the music. The music is so wonderful, its a mix of 8-bit old school video game style music, with techno and its so dark and catchy. The music matches the game perfectly. Third the controls. Not much to say, easy, simple , fluid. But most importantly fun, they get really fun really fast. The fast pace of the game perfectly match the fast controls, and easy learning curve but longer mastery curve. Last the story. The plot is given in bits and pieces, and very cryptic. But when its all over all the pieces come together and you loose your mind. You really feel like YOU the player just witnessed some one loose their mind. Everything about this game adds not only great replayability value its so much fun for under ten dollars (even cheaper if you wait for a sale on steam). All in all this is a great game. Expand
  92. Nov 7, 2013
    Hotline Miami is an excellent game, up there in the best games I've played this year. Challenging, lightning-paced action abound as you make your way through apartments, nightclubs and other mobster hideouts, brutally murdering every living thing in your path.

The controls, gameplay and frame rate are incredibly fluid, lending you total control and further enhancing the furiously fast
    action. You play from a bird's eye angle so you always have an idea of what's going on and how to quickly deal with any problems, yet also allows you to witness the full glory of your rampage.

There's a great scoring system in place too which encourages players to be creative in their bloody massacres, and there's plenty of A+ grades, weapons and unique, ability-boosting masks to go after.

The game oozes style, with a truly phenomenal soundtrack (if you don't get this game, listen to the soundtrack alone!), and it perfectly captures that idiosyncratic atmosphere of 80s Miami, drenched in neon and blood. It certainly doesn't hold back, either; you'll be regularly blowing limbs off with shotguns, bashing skulls to a pulp with baseball bats and iron bars, hacking people to bits with machetes, and a lot worse, so make sure you have a strong stomach.

The only real flaw I can mention is the very out-of-place stealth section; it greatly damages the momentum and is poorly designed.

Otherwise, the game is superb, totally worth its price, and I strongly recommend it to anyone who loves their action.
  93. Nov 7, 2013
    It's a game that does exactly what it looks like. Makes you rage, and gives you violence. It's cool seeing the retro looking graphics with the rooster-headed, pipe-wielding crazy man. The story could use a bit of work, and the game is horribly punishing, but otherwise I would say it's definitely worth the investment.
  94. Nov 10, 2013
    This game is one of the best games I have ever picked up on Steam! It is extremely addictive and the soundtrack is brilliant! The only bad thing about this game is that the storyline is very weak.
  95. Dec 1, 2013
    Old-school game mechanics. Engrossing, well-written storyline. Awesome soundtrack and 80s ambientation. The greatest surprise of 2012, there's nothing to dislike in this game.
  96. Dec 25, 2013
    Atmosphere, gameplay mechanics, difficulty, artistic concept, psychedelic experience, awesome music etc. makes Hotline Miami a really good game. Totally worth playing, but beware of some bugs and a lot of unreasonable things happening.
  97. Feb 8, 2014
    Many of my reviews are just for jokes and fun, but I want to be serious with this. This game is amazing. Simply stunning. The music, art and game play all combine and what it produces is spectacular. The story is very deep, and may require several breakthroughs to fully understand.

Phenomenal, Ten out of Ten. Utterly amazing, this is a must buy.
  98. Jan 17, 2014
    Hotline Miami is the type of game that you sit down, play, and figure out three hours later that you are still playing it. The game's replay-ability, story, and fantastic gameplay are wonderful to experience, but the reason Hotline Miami deserves a ten instead of a nine is the music. The soundtrack alone gets a ten.
  99. Feb 24, 2014
    For a rich game company the graphics was so bad i thought it was pong. The gameplay sucks as bricks bounce about 4 times and nail people in the ass. Such a bad gamee, 10/10. Im going to go now because this game made me want to chop my big hairy willy off and eat my ball sacks.
  100. Mar 6, 2014
    One of the best games I've every played, be it indie or not. Breathtaking soundtrack, amazing level design, mind-f*ing story line (still not sure if I've understood it).

I hope they can create a couple more leves of this. I would be eager to buy it.
  101. Nov 1, 2012

From the get-go, Miami’s presentation has a unique style, with vivid colors, generous amounts of post-process filtering and a stunning soundtrack (you will just let the game play on, only to hear the tracks). But at the same time, all notions of continuous fast-paced action gameplay disappear. Hotline Miami is essentially a top-down stealth game, that rewards the player with imaginative (and quite violent) kill animations. [January 2013]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    A stylish slice of retro carnage. This is the bloodiest, least forgiving game of the year. [Jan 2013, p.85]
  3. Dec 17, 2012