7.0

1. Oct 29, 2013
    I played this game for a few hours but gave up since it was pretty boring. Like the title says you run around the islands learning how to so survive and thats pretty much it. As for the technical part of the game well i wish I didn't have to go through the menu several times before continuing the game its annoying, the inventory is too small for this type of game where you rely onI played this game for a few hours but gave up since it was pretty boring. Like the title says you run around the islands learning how to so survive and thats pretty much it. As for the technical part of the game well i wish I didn't have to go through the menu several times before continuing the game its annoying, the inventory is too small for this type of game where you rely on collecting stuff to survive. Expand
  2. Oct 28, 2013
    Quick Review:
    Cons: Lame combat system, effects, and a laughably horrible animation quality. Since you spend 90% of the game hacking a path through crowds of zombies, they could have dramatically increased the quality of the game if they would have given much needed attention to simple things like the melee swing animation.
    Pros: Kovac; He adds much needed personality and humor to the
    Quick Review:
    Pros: Kovac; He adds much needed personality and humor to the game. The environment is creative and worthy of exploration even if there were not a plethora of lootable items to scavenge as incentive to do so.

At only 4-5 hours to complete the campaign, this game is overpriced at 15 dollars. Though intuitive in concept, this game fails to deliver anything that is actually new, and does not get in depth enough to really let players feel like they were learning "How to Survive."
    If this game were priced more adequately to its content, I would have given it at least an 8/10.
  3. Oct 27, 2013
    505 Games at their best.. I'm having a very good experience just like i had with one of the first Fallout games by bethesda. In how to survive its not like rolling dice and then move a little closer each time to your enemies but its got the looks. You can do wild animal hunting, explode the big enemies, search places for goods. Eating, sleeping and drinking is required to stay alive and505 Games at their best.. I'm having a very good experience just like i had with one of the first Fallout games by bethesda. In how to survive its not like rolling dice and then move a little closer each time to your enemies but its got the looks. You can do wild animal hunting, explode the big enemies, search places for goods. Eating, sleeping and drinking is required to stay alive and stay alert, also finding your own weapons and armor is required to stay alive. I can't seem to break my weapons or armor as i would in any of the diablo's so i guess they toke that out (awesome)

The game doesn't seem very difficult. I got past the first act without dieing once so i gaurentee you wont have a rough/difficult time with difficulty.

Happy gaming and have fun
  4. Dec 10, 2014
    Not a bad little game. Isometric (Diablo-like) view, decent enough to look at and with a good sense of humor. Gameplay is a hybrid Action-RPG/Survival/Crafting type of game.

There are 4 main islands in the game, which you can hop between when you fix boats etc. and explore. It has a hunger, thirst and fatigue system that works all together with the crafting. Crafting in this is actually quite good. I have made myself a handmade gun that shoots scrap metal (think Flak-Cannon) out of various materials I found. I also crafted a bow and arrows, and even some "fish and chips". Ehem. Like I said, this is a humorous game. As soon as you hear one of the fellow survivor "Kovac" reciting his "Survival Manual", you will know what you are in for.

Similarly to 7 Days to Die, night time is a difficult time to be out and about wondering without sufficient supplies, since you get a new type of fast zombie at night, that can rip you to shreds in an instant. Campfires, torches and flashlights work quite well against these guys though, so as long as you have one, you are okay. So, it's nothing special, but I bought it mainly for local co-op anyway, for which it's fun.

Jimbo Rating: 6/10
  5. Oct 25, 2013
    "How to Survive" is basically "Dead Island" packaged as an isometric perspective twin-stick shooter, but it doesn't take itself as seriously. The gameplay is good and responsive and the fighting feels right: you're tough and fast, but by no means invincible. There's no camera control and no way to rotate the view, which is primitive by today's standards and leads to parts of the map that"How to Survive" is basically "Dead Island" packaged as an isometric perspective twin-stick shooter, but it doesn't take itself as seriously. The gameplay is good and responsive and the fighting feels right: you're tough and fast, but by no means invincible. There's no camera control and no way to rotate the view, which is primitive by today's standards and leads to parts of the map that are permanently hidden. The crafting adds nice variety without overly complicating the game like in "Far Cry 3". The skills aren't very exciting, but they don't hurt the game either. The humor is cutesy, but forced and unoriginal. Kovac, the author of the survival manual, is a blatant rip-off of Marcus in Borderlands. I have two complaints. The first is that you can't remap the controller buttons. Only laziness can explain this in a game that's released in 2013. The second is that it uses checkpoints instead of actual saves. Again, that's just pure laziness. But what's worse is that it's not clear where and when the checkpoints occur, so you don't know when it's safe to exit the game. But overall, while this game isn't stellar, looks and plays like a game from 10 years ago, and won't win any GOTY awards, it's still well made enough that someone who likes the zombie genre (and isn't fed up with it) will enjoy it. Expand
  6. Jun 15, 2014
    Its.... Meh. Gameplay is very linear for the style the game is going for (Sandbox-ish Survival) due to everything being scripted, much like Dead Island and knowing that every plant or item you pick up in the wild has been specifically put there by the developers kills the organic potential of this game. Alot. Along with that there's some other gaping issues like how the movement feelsIts.... Meh. Gameplay is very linear for the style the game is going for (Sandbox-ish Survival) due to everything being scripted, much like Dead Island and knowing that every plant or item you pick up in the wild has been specifically put there by the developers kills the organic potential of this game. Alot. Along with that there's some other gaping issues like how the movement feels incredibly clumsy with the inability to cancel/interrupt your melee power charges or how sprinting feels like strapping jetboots on as the in-game guides are horribly unfitting cartoonish while they also show control information with joysticks A/X/Y buttons on the PC. The entire thing feels incredibly plasticy and don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort made to make this game along with the cheap price but looking at it from an overall perspective, It gives me the appeal of a console port cash-out. Expand
  7. Jul 7, 2014
  8. ave
    Feb 7, 2015
    I came to How to Survive by curiosity, noticing a trend in recent games mixing zombies and survival. Since I enjoyed Resident Evil, F.E.A.R. and Left 4 Dead, I gave it a shot.

Played with bird-view camera, H2S offers you to select one survivor among three, with different stats and a specific skill tree. Once you land on the shores of the first island, you are taken by the hand by a bunch of NPC that sends you on several missions mostly revolving around survival techniques or ways to get the hell out here. Luckily for you, every mechanical components of the several means of transportation are scattered among the four islands!

All this setup throws you into a game that combines collecting stuff (wood, plants, water, spare parts), combining them into usable and eventually potent weapons, armors, potions and such. So it's kinda fun to see your character move from "hopeless" to "badass".

As a complete survival game, you'll have to sleep, eat, drink and cure your wounds. Healing yourself is critical, sleeping can be tricking since you have to clear up some places from zombie hordes; but drinking and eating are no longer a problem after a while.

After you've played the story mode you end up with a character with maxed-up stats and a complete skill tree. Then the real fun begins : challenges! These missions give you a single objective, and you'll have to carefully plan your exploration to scavenge things in the limited time you have until dusk, manage your scarce ressources and plan your defenses against the horde.

Overall, HS2 is a nice survival game, with alot of tension, even if you lose some of the horror aspect due to the bird view.
  9. Oct 27, 2013
    Ist one of the best entertaining Indi Games i bought the last time.
    Its a 7+ not lower .
    Maybe its technical not the best but you can easly get 10 hours of fun of the solo Story mode,
  10. Oct 28, 2013
    A different twist on Zombie games and the overhead view gives it a place among the overcrowded genre.. fairly good graphics and some nice animated kill moves on Zombies. With the wit of Kovac you will have a good time crafting your way to freedom. use a 360 controller for best effect..
  11. Nov 17, 2013
    Was really impressed by this game. first i thought that's just new zombie crap, but I was wrong. Nights in the game are awesome. The game's atmosphere of survival is really nice made. Totally worth playing, but with the gamepad, tried with key+mouse and it was much harder, especially shouting,
  12. Dec 25, 2013
    i don't know why peoples rating this game bad.this game is different experience with good survival tactics and great crafting system though map is little bit of small and some animation may wanna be worked
  13. Oct 23, 2013
    Disclaimer: I've played this for 2 hours as of writing this. I will continue to play it and will adjust the review/score accordingly if something major changes. This games premise is pretty good. The execution leaves something to be desired, however. The controls on PC are just weird at the start; although aiming is easy the movement feels more like you are controlling and old nes gameDisclaimer: I've played this for 2 hours as of writing this. I will continue to play it and will adjust the review/score accordingly if something major changes. This games premise is pretty good. The execution leaves something to be desired, however. The controls on PC are just weird at the start; although aiming is easy the movement feels more like you are controlling and old nes game with a dpad. Movement is much more fluid with a controller as you don't "steer" with the mouse unless you are aiming so it gets some getting used to. It's quite linear so far with a bit of sandbox. You move from island to island (as of writing this I'm on the 3rd island) and do (sort of) what you want on each island. The downside is you really don't have much time with the respawning enemies and how obnoxious it is to explore at night. I applaud the premise of this but the execution just makes exploration very menial and more high risk low reward. Resources seem to respawn every once in a while meaning it's basically impossible to run out of ammo. Fatigue is particularly annoying because you can only rest in designated areas and sometimes that means going back from where you came and the enemies respawn and now it's night so you have more annoying enemies after you too. They needed to either implement more rest areas or allow you to construct your own rest areas. The crafting system is decent but it only allows you to combine when there is something to combine so there isn't any experimentation. If it says combine when you select something then you can combine. I have been playing on ironman and the difficulty is lacking but the tediousness is quite high, so maybe if you play on a lower difficulty it would be more enjoyable. Overall it's an extremely mediocre title so far with nothing exceptional. It's repetitive and tedious at times and the best it has to offer is the feeling of getting some parts and making a cool new weapon. I'm glad I bought the game at a heavy discount with store credit rather than paying money. Could be worth a few hours romp but lower your expectations coming in and you might enjoy it more. Expand
  14. Oct 24, 2013
    2 hours into the game, it's been a real blast. The content in terms of price is overwhelming. If you like Don't Starve, with a bit of zombie shooter gameplay be sure to try it out.
  15. Sep 1, 2014
    I really like this game, but it crashes frequently which ruins it. I finished it in about 15 hours. It's got zombies which I'm heavily biased towards. Interesting crafting. Descent story. Descent graphics. As I summarized, this would probably be an 8/10 for me if it weren't for the rampant stability issue. I give it a 5/10 because of the frequent crashes. Save points are in the sheltersI really like this game, but it crashes frequently which ruins it. I finished it in about 15 hours. It's got zombies which I'm heavily biased towards. Interesting crafting. Descent story. Descent graphics. As I summarized, this would probably be an 8/10 for me if it weren't for the rampant stability issue. I give it a 5/10 because of the frequent crashes. Save points are in the shelters which I found myself having to visit intentionally so I wouldn't loose progress in the game from a crash. The crashes are most likely video card/driver related I seem to have lessened them by dropping the resolution of the game below my native monitor's resolution. I'm sure the console versions were just fine, and this is just a poor port to PC. The build I played and finished was from May 2014. I doubt the dev studio is going to sink much more effort into support. So don't spend any real money on this. Expand
  16. Nov 2, 2013
    just buy Dead Island instead. The "crafting" is tedious and the inventory is insanely small for a survival type game. I would suggest the developers make the inventory something like 50-60 slots instead of the 16 you get. It really gets old dropping items you may or may not need later. Overall it just wasn't fun and seemed more tedious than anything. I really wanted to like this gamejust buy Dead Island instead. The "crafting" is tedious and the inventory is insanely small for a survival type game. I would suggest the developers make the inventory something like 50-60 slots instead of the 16 you get. It really gets old dropping items you may or may not need later. Overall it just wasn't fun and seemed more tedious than anything. I really wanted to like this game but sadly it didn't happen. Expand
  17. Nov 1, 2013

Negatives

Linear
    Smallish play area
    Short

But... I see a lot of potential for a sequel. I will be keeping an eye out for sequels, or other titles from this developer!
  18. May 15, 2014
    diablo/survival horror game. crafting, upgrading and level up skill tree. decent gameplay and very addicting. local co-op and online co-op up to 4 players. it is very unique. you have to eat and drink to survive. big places to explore. $7.50 to pick it up right now and I suggest you get it especially if you have a friend or family member to play it with.
  19. Mar 29, 2014
    It's a twin-stick shooter that could've been much better if it didn't have auto-aim and such a silly story to tell. Maps are kinda average and they give this game a very linear overall feeling. Crafting system is the best thing I could point out. Fun in co-op, decent in solo.
  20. Apr 29, 2014
    Wow, this game is terrible. The first hour or so is enjoyable, until you realize that the game just keeps repeating over and over again. Most people enjoy Kovak's cut scene appearances, but I found myself skipping them all the time, they were boring and obnoxious. With only a few characters to pick from that are equally dull, this game can get no more than a five.
  21. Nov 1, 2013
    This game is good, IN THEORY. Survive against zombies while exploring four different islands! Uncover a mystery! Keep track of your physiological needs! How long will you last?

Well the answer is; forever. Or at least for as long as the campaign lasts, which is to say only a few hours. See, the premise is all fine and good. You shipwreck into a random island somewhere, which happens to be full of zombies and there's some creepy dude helping you survive. Only a few minutes into the game you realize the combat system is primitive (although it admittedly works) and the islands themselves are more like tunnels than sandboxes.

An hour into it you realize the food/drink/sleep system is almost inconsequential, the writing is pretty bad, moving around the islands feels like a grind and that the creepy dude is mainly there to be a funny gimmick you can show off in trailers. Nonetheless, there was something about the game to keep me going. Although, the way I played it was mostly one hour at a time. I'd fire it up, play for an hour, get bored but come back eventually.

If anyone's planning to get this for the co-op, don't. It's even more pointless than the single player. There's no "surviving together", it's just running through hordes figuring out an overlying puzzle to complete the the challenge. Again, in theory it's great that the different characters have different skill sets to complement each other, but it never comes down to that. If you're having a hard time, just go play single player to gain some better equipment and levels. Oh, and you can only play story mode in local co-op.

Anyhow, it can be somewhat amusing, but it all comes down to the fact that this game is like 3/4 of a really good game. It's relatively close, but no cigar. Maybe a tobacco. A sequel expanding all of this could be worth it. I don't expect DLCs to amount to anything.
  22. Oct 25, 2013
    Top down Zombie shooter with a craft system. I prefer this to Dead Island, and the 2 player Co-Op is hilarious because friendly fire cannot be turned off. Crafting doesn't pause the game in Co-Op, and really I wouldn't even bother with the game if there wasn't Co-Op. First map (out of 8 I believe?) took me 44 minutes with a friend.

Seriously fun with a friend. Grab it while it's on sale.
  23. Nov 4, 2013
    More linear than sandbox, but does a decent job of disguising it. Crafting system is good, but it's interaction with the limited inventory space comes across as 1 part authentic, 3 parts annoying.

Overall a good game for fans of the zombie or top-down shooter genre, a great game to pick up on sale.
  24. Oct 28, 2013
    Great zombie game with some interesting elements, and for the price it's a bargain, way better value then some of the top price games out there. Yeah they could improve some elements but it is what it is....fun!
  25. Oct 23, 2013
    Disclaimer: after 4 hours of playing! Amazing survival game with a lot of amusing moments and more than a decent crafting system!! Some animations could use a bit of a work, but everything else is just there! I haven't had such fun for quite a while!!
  26. Oct 28, 2013
    i dont understand why this game have gotten such a bad score, sure it's nothing revolutionary but for the low price and overall good gameplay i find this worth it's money, you can get it for 9€ at Steam, totally worth it
  27. Dec 5, 2013
    Great fun for Local COOP playing. What is more interesting of this game is the survival spirit. You have to take it as a nice surviving journey on a tropical island, instead of seeing is as a massive zombie slash game.
    With a friend is really funny to stop killing zombies for a while, fish a little, set up a camp fire, cook and enjoy the evening... with zombies :D
  28. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is fun in coop and a bore in solo campaign. Graphics are decent but not great, the crafting system is quite fun. It has no random generated content unfortunately which gives no replay value. A down-flaw is that you can't play the campaign in coop online (only local with an additional gamepad).
  29. Oct 28, 2013
    I feel like some of the more critical reviews are treating this game like it is a $60 game when it retails brand new for $15 (I got it on steam for $10). You have to adjust your expectations accordingly.

That said I definitely felt like I got my money's worth. There was enough variety in zombies and day and night that I felt like I was often on my toes, particularly at night time. Scavenging goods and figuring out how to make things out of them is a lot of fun. You will ruin this game for yourself if you go online and look up the recepies, figuring them out on your own or finding them around the island is a lot of fun. The story could be a little better, and longer, the characters could be a little better, but if the idea of scavenging compressors and tires and wooden sticks to build weapons and armor to fend off zombie hordes appeals to you, you will have fun with this.
  30. Nov 5, 2013
    It's a simple but very fun game. The story could be better, but the gameplay is great and the graphics are good. Most of all it's very funny and addicting. Recommended!

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Surprisingly entertaining to play, it it just too easy. [Dec 2013]
  2. Dec 30, 2013
    Other rickety spots aside, How To Survive’s biggest issue is that it doesn’t do enough to keep you engaged across its short, repetitive campaign.
    Solid action RPG with some survival aspects that might help you make it through a boring day – but not any longer. [Issue#237]