6.6

1. Oct 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I absolutely loved this game. Postponed the purchase because of the mixed critiques, but I was disappointed positively. This game is not for everyone, I think some expected more from it. It is what it is, a dungeon crawler as it was advertised, no more, no less. Great action mixed with some puzzles and exploration. The story is decent, even if you get to know the most of it from the dead. It feels a bit like reading a book, there are plenty of things left for your imagination, but you'll never feel cheated. These little personal stories only enrich the universe of Hunted.
    The design of the game overall is decent, you won't run into the same setting twice. You really feel the space even if you mostly go through linear sections. The graphic is nice and I definitely would not call it dated. The puzzles are not particularly hard, you will have to rely on your perception mostly to get them done. If you tired when you play, there's a bigger chance you miss secret areas and otherwise obvious solutions to riddles.
    I think the gameplay is decent too. The action has good dynamics. It's a bit repetitive, but I never got bored of slaying hundreds of ugly beasts. It's simply fun! Recently I felt disappointed by big over-hyped titles which look good, but have very little to offer in terms of entertaining gameplay. Hunted restored my faith.
    The only downsides are the bugs. They are not as nearly as annoying as some say, but they are there. But I have seen much worse cases recently, so I think it's forgivable.
    Overall it's a 9. And I think this game is underrated.
  2. Dec 13, 2011
    I can't believe how ridiculously underrated this game is. Played it through several times co-op in different difficulty settings and it was incredibly fun, very challenging, worth playing it many times over. Hands down one of the best co-op games I have played, and co-op games are the ones I usually keep an eye open for.
  3. Sep 1, 2012
    Quite a fun game. The partner dynamic between E'Lara and Caddoc is flawless, though the environments at times look a bit barren, and it's a bit short for an rpg. On the other hand, combat is surprsingly good, and there's dedicated map-editing and online co-op. Really, it's not an rpg. More of like action adventure, so if you go into expecting an rpg, you'll be disappointed. However,Quite a fun game. The partner dynamic between E'Lara and Caddoc is flawless, though the environments at times look a bit barren, and it's a bit short for an rpg. On the other hand, combat is surprsingly good, and there's dedicated map-editing and online co-op. Really, it's not an rpg. More of like action adventure, so if you go into expecting an rpg, you'll be disappointed. However, it's a fun game, and the point of a game is to let you have fun, so for me, this scores an 8.5. However, I rated it a 10 to balance the low scores. Expand
  4. Jun 5, 2011
    Hi,
    i'm rating a 9 because, this game is definitely more than the reviews show us.
    Yes this game is not perfect. The graphic is nothing special. A typical console-porting. Some Bugs are existent, too. Like buggy interaction-points, or your AI-partner stands still... But all gameplay-bugs were able to be solved by reloading the last checkpoint. Some other users complain about
    Hi,
    i'm rating a 9 because, this game is definitely more than the reviews show us.

But all gameplay-bugs were able to be solved by reloading the last checkpoint.

Some other users complain about graphic-issues, or that the game is not starting.
    I had no problems: insert the dvd into a well installed win7-system and its working.

To the positive aspects:
    this game is just FUN. Looking at E'lara is much more than 5 minutes satisfaction :-)
    Okay serious now: compared to Gears of War or Resident Evil 5 - you coop-partner (AI) is not worse.
    When you're playing E'lara, Caddoc makes his job pretty good.
    He fights in the first line, he revives you immediately (usually), and he gives you magical boosts just in time.

But much more fun, this game is in coop-play with your friend. I have to mention, that some people have here problems, too: matchmaking via gamespy or something is not working, they say.
    Well - i play via hamachi (LAN-client) and its working perfect !!!

Playing with a buddy is something special. Its working perfect, we hat no lost connection or something else. But its a little bit harder, because both players are always looking for potions and armory :-)

After a playthrough it's recommended to try the crucible editor. For me as PC-Player it's a little bit weird.
    a typical console-thing.... too. Its a simple sandbox-editor.... looks like memory or something.

I hope inXile will give us an U3-Editor. This could help to revive the community.

For me, i bought this game twice (for me & my girlfriend), the money was all worth.
    The best coop-play (story-)game after Resident Evil 5.

CYA
  5. Jul 2, 2011
    I'm one of the few who loved this game. People need to judge this for what it is: a dungeon exploring game focused on combat. This is not an RPG or a loot-fest. I found the exploration to be extremely fun and immersive. Likewise, the combat, especially the archery, was so precise and rewarding. And the story was actually very intriguing. The way it was told through the flashbacks from theI'm one of the few who loved this game. People need to judge this for what it is: a dungeon exploring game focused on combat. This is not an RPG or a loot-fest. I found the exploration to be extremely fun and immersive. Likewise, the combat, especially the archery, was so precise and rewarding. And the story was actually very intriguing. The way it was told through the flashbacks from the dead citizens of the empires was ingenious. Learning the whole sad tale kept me greatly interested! After one playthrough, I only found 1/2 the secrets, so time to go back and explore. Anyway, Hunted isn't perfect but it was very enjoyable and left me wanting more. That's high praise considering how many bland games come out. So Hunted is a refreshingly pure dungeon crawler that deserves to be experienced, critics be danged. Real score: 8; score of 10 to balance out all the 0 noob scores. Expand
  6. Oct 8, 2011
    Just wanted to quickly make a comment about this game. It's amazing, the co-op works fine but as with many other PC games you do have to open up some ports ~ spending 5min on google and I got the ports opened and co-op running fine. I played most of the HALO's and all 3 gears of war. This game has a good story and the difference in the two characters make this game so much more fun andJust wanted to quickly make a comment about this game. It's amazing, the co-op works fine but as with many other PC games you do have to open up some ports ~ spending 5min on google and I got the ports opened and co-op running fine. I played most of the HALO's and all 3 gears of war. This game has a good story and the difference in the two characters make this game so much more fun and engaging then any other fps-ish game out there. I will admit having a real life friend to play this game with rather then strangers makes a big difference. I bought the game at full price and have no regrets, now you can get it for as cheap as 20$! Do yourself a favor and get this amazing game and hopefully they'll be a sequel or a game similar to Hunted's unique, innovative, and incredibly fun style. Expand
  7. Nov 27, 2011
    Went into this game on a steam sale with some trepidation because of the somewhat low reviews. My wife and I saw a game play trailer, took a chance, and LOVED IT! Seriously brought back memories of Heretic II, one of the first games we played together. Gorgeous graphics, visceral combat, wonderful exploration bonuses and great co-op feel and tactics, I can't recommend this one enough. NiceWent into this game on a steam sale with some trepidation because of the somewhat low reviews. My wife and I saw a game play trailer, took a chance, and LOVED IT! Seriously brought back memories of Heretic II, one of the first games we played together. Gorgeous graphics, visceral combat, wonderful exploration bonuses and great co-op feel and tactics, I can't recommend this one enough. Nice story and cut-scenes as well. Some caveats though that kept it from being a 10:
    1. Save points are ridiculous, leading to multiple plays of the harder fights. There should be more or manual saves. 2. Interface has some issues in some areas, we're playing it on PC and it feels like the game was designed for console, so maybe that's the issue, but the menu UI could've been polished more. Not really a criticism but an overall comment. We're playing only co-op. You do have to play the tutorial solo and that didn't seem too distracting, but I've no idea how it plays overall single-player. I wouldn't even bother to try it that way. We're buying this for friends as gifts after a couple hours of play.
  8. Sep 26, 2013
    That's really the most underrated game I have ever known. It has awesome design and interesting characters. Its concept is original, and the game is fun even without co-op. However, I recommend you to bring a friend.
  9. Jun 7, 2011
    Alright my first review was harsh and I DID get the multiplayer to work. Everything has changed. This game is great. All the critics who said otherwise are totally wrong and usually they are. I mean look at the guy at IGN - Ryan Clements. He doesn't know anything about games. Like saying there are several other games with "elves and dragons" better than this. There's nothing like that,Alright my first review was harsh and I DID get the multiplayer to work. Everything has changed. This game is great. All the critics who said otherwise are totally wrong and usually they are. I mean look at the guy at IGN - Ryan Clements. He doesn't know anything about games. Like saying there are several other games with "elves and dragons" better than this. There's nothing like that, especially with co-op, and MMOs don't count since you have to group with a bunch of losers & grind on lame quests. Hunted is good and the characters have really detailed personalities, and good voice actors backing them (BloodRayne and Dante (fron Dante's Inferno). Big and small choices matter in this, and some interesting game mechanics are put to use in relation to those choices. Sure there are some bugs and some things that could have been done a little better, but this is the case with all games. Art in general is never perfect and games never are. If you buy this for singleplayer you won't be happy though. Definitely needs a co-op partner to take advantage of the game.

Oh and people who say this is like Gears or something are wrong. It's nothing like any of those games. There is a lot of thought put into this game and how combat works for each character. There are a lot of touching moments in the cutscenes too and the story is excellent. The only thing that bothered me was the bad ending. if you go for the good ending this game's story ties up nicely, but it definitely needs a sequel. I hope despite all the negative people that don't know what they are talking about, that this game gets a sequel. It's on my top 10 now.
  10. May 31, 2011
    So far a good game. IF you have a decent system the graphics and loading time is bearable, I have only tinkered w/ the on-line Co-op no joy so far, but single player has some definite promise, wouldnt recommend the game for anyone w/ a system not up to minimal specs though as it could get laggy, works fine on my PC but the laptop not so much, slight RPG elements but at heart it feels likeSo far a good game. IF you have a decent system the graphics and loading time is bearable, I have only tinkered w/ the on-line Co-op no joy so far, but single player has some definite promise, wouldnt recommend the game for anyone w/ a system not up to minimal specs though as it could get laggy, works fine on my PC but the laptop not so much, slight RPG elements but at heart it feels like a hack n slash overall (so far, only a few hours into the game) a good buy for anyone looking for a fun game w/out much depth Expand
  11. Jun 1, 2011
    I think this game does not warrant the poor reviews it's getting because people don't know how to work the internet, port forwarding, and their router/firewall. The easiest thing to do is download Tunngle (similar to Hamachi) and play with a bunch of other people over LAN. It worked instantly for my friend and I. Pro: I have played through the single-player and Coop single-player campaignI think this game does not warrant the poor reviews it's getting because people don't know how to work the internet, port forwarding, and their router/firewall. The easiest thing to do is download Tunngle (similar to Hamachi) and play with a bunch of other people over LAN. It worked instantly for my friend and I. Pro: I have played through the single-player and Coop single-player campaign and loved it. I do not think the melee is clunky or awkward at all. It takes a kind of skill to do melee combat, just because you're not good does not mean the game sucks. I enjoy fantasy stories, I love the story of this game. Very simple in the beginning and deeper towards the end. I like the personality of the main characters and their snippy remarks, it adds character depth which you can see the developers wanted to do. I bought the game on a whim and really like what the developers were trying to do. I buy games to support the developers and the movement to which what I want to see the direction of the industry go. It is a fun Linear game, I like linear, it's foolish to think that just because a game is Linear that it has no depth and it sucks. Each game is intended to please a different type of gamer, not all gamers. And this one does the niche, linear Action/Adventure small RPG elements - BIG coop options and map editor - very well. There are few games like this one out and I commend the company for making it. CON: Price was to steep for this game. I do think $30 would be more appropriate, though I split it with a buddy of mine and $25 each is fine for LAN playing and you only need 1 CD for LAN

~Tinye
  12. Jun 15, 2011
    witzige diaologe colle effekte mit dem blut im gesicht aber immer die selben. der Hack and slay errinnert ein wenig an god of war oder ist es die glatze des hauptkarakters ;) aber wird nach einer zeit ziemleich eintönig und langweilig.richtig gut gelungen sind die Sprechenden steinwände
  13. Jun 2, 2011
    The game is solid hack and slash fun. The character models are quite nice and while the environment graphics won't win any awards, you can tell they tailored each area with a lot of care. Sound effects are solid, musical score is also nice but not overdone.

The game is fairly linear, but that is fitting/appropriate for this type of game. Most of the 'puzzles' are fairly straightforward, but there are secret areas/quests that can easily be overlooked. This along with the ease at which it is to jump in and play in my opinion give it good replay value.

I haven't been able to get an online game going which is admittedly disappointing, but fortunately even with the single player campaign the computer AI handling your ally does pretty well. I'm not going to ruin the game score over that element as I believe that is dishonest, but I do hope that this gets resolved fairly soon.
  14. Jun 1, 2011
    Awesome game. I particularly liked the game when it was doing good stuff with the graphics and the gameplay and the story and the sound, et cetera, et cetera. All in all, easy game of the year for me.
  15. Nov 9, 2013
    I think it's quite underrated, good visuals and atmosphere, great action gameplay where you playing character and just depends on your skills how good you will in, and not win on start as in most last years Action/RPGs, amazing co-op campaign, quite interesting story, and what's most important for me finally somehow hard arcade/RPG in last 5 years and not kiddy "just press A button andI think it's quite underrated, good visuals and atmosphere, great action gameplay where you playing character and just depends on your skills how good you will in, and not win on start as in most last years Action/RPGs, amazing co-op campaign, quite interesting story, and what's most important for me finally somehow hard arcade/RPG in last 5 years and not kiddy "just press A button and you'll win... so 10 pts by all ways... Expand
  16. May 2, 2014
    Pros: + The game is very good, the camera is well positioned, the soundtrack combined very well with the scenery and storyline of the game, and what makes the game much more fun and immersive are the constants between the two characters speak, the way the cover never seen on any medieval game, although the graphics a bit dated and the game plays a backdrop of dark medievel fantasy.Pros: + The game is very good, the camera is well positioned, the soundtrack combined very well with the scenery and storyline of the game, and what makes the game much more fun and immersive are the constants between the two characters speak, the way the cover never seen on any medieval game, although the graphics a bit dated and the game plays a backdrop of dark medievel fantasy.

Cons:-simple things that would make a game Game of the Year such as: the lack of a map, can not change the character without an obelisk, moving action Cadocc more realistic graphics with more filtering capabilities.

I honestly do not regret having bought this game, I think unfair to give such a low note, if we compare many games in this genre Hunted manages to stand out, I recommend it to fans of Hack n Slash and medieval fantasy.
  17. Mar 30, 2015
    Wow this game is better than idiot gears of war but truly the two character is fantastic and the gameworld too well the gameplot is not that bad too.. bu the multiplayer mode is not good.
    after all is enjoyable i beat it 5 times! :) its a fantastic game for oldschool players.

1. Aug 8, 2011
    Competent hack-'n'-slash with a few neat ideas wrapped in a package that's remarkably unremarkable. [Sept 2011, p.64]
    We didn't expect much yet we are disappointed. Linear hack'n'slash offers tedious contents, repeatable enemies and environments and above all it fails in cooperation mode. [July 2011]
  3. Jul 26, 2011
    Hunted is one of those action games that fly into one ear and exit through the other without even touching your brain.