5.8

1. Oct 19, 2012
    Excellent! Game to come closest yet to The Road, really nails the survival element. And no it is not purely linear, you have a lot of freedom within places and particularly in the centre of town (using the overhead railways as a starting point). Personally I liked the dust/fog that makes you not exactly sure of what is in the distance and forces you to climb up every so often. It could have been made a bit easier and a few more checkpoints, but that's the only fault I can think of. The way it presents the horror and grimness of immediate post apocalyptic life where someone's life is worth a couple of bullets is quite unique. Expand
  2. Oct 2, 2012
    As a big fan of Cold Fear, also developed by Darkworks, I was really looking forward to this game. I was not disappointed. Reminds me of Legendary, another great game in the modern apocalyptic setting. For those who rate it low, they must want COD. It's not COD, it's great in it's own right.
  3. Oct 2, 2012
    Truly one of the best games I've ever seen. The game is a sweet Survival game with well thought out linear maps. The cool replay feature is fun, giving you time to think of other options to replay a scene - cool!. Graphix are decent, and the price was right .
  4. May 4, 2013
    From the beginning, the game is impressive for its sulfur atmosphere. I would like to mention a very symbolic start of the "cross the bridge" and then begins the real adventure. In fact, in the game there is no new-old-fashion zombies, there are only people, and these are the ones to be feared! I do not understand why people underestimate I Am Alive, because it is worth the money, genre component fulfills a 100%. I do not regret the money spent, but it is extremely frustrating that the studio Darkworks is closed. Expand
  5. Oct 5, 2013
    This game is awesome, I just finished it and I could not think of any other game that plays like a true post apocalyptic environment where your not just running around gunning people. Everyone is a threat, and your actions need to be wise. I wish there was more games like this one.
  6. Jan 26, 2013
    I love what they did in the game. The storyline is great and the paths/map is well designed. Controls are O.K., but the graphics are pretty poor. Good for $15, better on sale. Just a little work on the graphics and controls and this game would have been just about perfect!
  7. Raz
    Jan 5, 2013
    Love it! There are a few things I would improve on like the linear story is a little not so good, the fact that you cannot just jump wherever you want or have to obey the level designers directions. This game engine put in an open world would be the perfect game!
  8. Jan 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The style of gameplay is really Drakes Fortune meets the post apocalyptic theme of fallout. Tight focused levels no real exploration but limited resources and straight up survival creates a brooding tension and apprehension of whats around the next corner. Not one for hard games as a casual gamer but this I did enjoy the experience. Expand
  9. Nov 16, 2012
    Please understand I dont consider 7 a bad rating for a game. I can only think of two or three games I would give 10 to, and nines are few and far between. With that in mind, on to the game. A survival game that is not a "survival horror". Instead its more of a "survival suspense". Lets focus on the bad for a moment. Replays, over and over... and over. This game has a lot of trial and error, mostly focused around the combat system. This brings us to the combat system, which really doesn't deserve that title. Its unforgiving, and while the game encourages you to run from combat, it often doesn't allow that as an alternative. Given the sparseness of the ammo, the game often makes you feel like you've done something wrong when you've run into the bad guys. And run into them you will because for our third little problem is linearity. The game teases you with some free roam moments, but once you start down a path its clear there is only one way to go. Whats not clear is if its gonna be worth it to go there. I don't mean to say, "if you go down that path, its gonna be a waste of time." What its gonna do is waste your resources. You are not superman, you will lose health, food, ammo, and your precious stamina. Stamina is what will allow you to explore the dusty, choking, dulled, greyed out street level environment, or climb to the top of skyscrapers. Now lets focus on the good things.
    Everything I just said was bad. The OCD side of me loves this game for its constant replays, "Could I have gotten away with a bit more stamina if I chose that route? If I had tried it this way, could I have saved that third bullet? " And you're gonna want that third one, because you may only have had four, or three. Hell sometimes I only had two and fooled the remaining bad guy that I had just one more. But never get over zealous and let the enemy hear that "click" of an empty gun. Sure, it sucks to screw up and have to redo something five times, but its all that more rewarding when you nail it. I love that this game ramps up the suspense by making me travel slowly to conserve energy. Others complain about its dark and greyed out environment, but that only makes those moments when you're out of the fog that much more impressive. And yes its linear, but only to the extent that it advances the story. And there is the real clincher. Its a good story. For the price of the game, its been worth it to me to watch the story pan out. Its a novel take on games, and I for one am always willing to give something innovative a shot. The only true gripe I've got with this game is that in order for the game mechanic to work, it has to make you unwilling to try to use your lives (re-tries) up. The only way to pull that off realistically, is to set the save points VERY far apart. You will not be able to sit down and play this one for 15 minutes and walk away expecting to pick up where you left off. I dont like being tied down to a game. In the end though, for me the experience is worth the sacrifice. Dont expect a hardcore FPS, dont expect serious RPG elements. Instead, I like to think of Max Payne or Alpha Protocol. While those had moments of intense action, I often found myself returning to certain points in the game to see if I could do better,or even just different. Dont think of it as the most engrossing novel in the world. Instead, I think of it more like a good comic book.

One final caveat, I have not finished this game, but I am already satisfied with my investment.

Bold and fresh, despite its shortcomings. Moreover, if the original vision of the developers had been fully fleshed out, this would have been one of the best games of the year. [November 2012]
    Original survival horror is perfect in setting up a grim atmosphere. You can find many flaws in the game but there are very strong moments which make the game worth trying. [Nov 2012]
  3. Oct 28, 2012