1.7

Overwhelming dislike- based on 3983 Ratings

1. Dec 19, 2012
    The game was okay, but it's now Pay2win. The community is **** and the devs are **** Don't buy the game if you want to risk dissapointment. Sergey Titov does not know what he is doing.
  2. Dec 19, 2012
    There is a reason Steam pulled the product from sale, offering refund to any who bought. False advertising, publishing unfinished product and overall just a broken and a crappy game to play
  3. Dec 19, 2012
    the problem with this game is.. people didnt research before they bought this game. i however love it. so..it sucks if you dont like it. just means more zombies for me :)
    NEXT TIME: do your research before buying a game.
  4. Dec 19, 2012
    Played it for several weeks now, and having played Day Z, this game is fun and more polished. Sure it's got a long way to go and they've made mistakes, but at $15 it's hard to go wrong.
  5. Dec 19, 2012
    I bought this game on 18-12-2012. I was expecting a polished game with the stuff they promised but noooooo. Not a single F*CKING thing. First they changed the respawn time from 1 hour to 4 hours per character, second they let you pay for almost everything, third everything is buggy as hell, fourth its just a complete port from War Inc. I could continue all day long but this game is deffinitely not worth its money.
    So people DONT BUY THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!
  6. Dec 19, 2012
    DO NOT buy this game. This is a complete fraud and scam. The developers and everyone involved should go to prison. They are banning people without reason, just because they criticize the game or go against what the developers want to hear. I would say this is a joke, but it's way more serious than that!!
  7. Dec 19, 2012
    This game is a spamming, lying, ripoff of DayZ! They make micro-transactions and are censoring their forums! This is a total disgrace to DayZ and should never have been made! Don't buy it as refunds aren't allowed!
  8. Dec 19, 2012
    Purchased the game on steam expecting 100 players and several maps only to find that I was mislead as to the amount of content and the max concurrent players. I am very disappointed with this game overall, the game feels like a cheap clone of Day Z with less maps and players. I am getting a refund through steam for this as it now requires you to sign a TOS agreement stating that no refunds will be issued.

This game is a money grab and does not deliver on its promises, I cannot recommend it any less.
  9. Dec 19, 2012
    It is completely inexcusable for a company to mislead its customers. What's more, it's even worse for the company to blame its customers for 'misreading' the information.
  10. Dec 19, 2012
    I bought this game at the time of this review 3 months ago. It claims it is Beta which is complete and utter nonsense. I spent $20 on this game off their website and now it is on steam, I implore you not to get this game!

This game as a whole, feels like a Duke Nukem where it has been in apparent development for a few years yet as it seems from playing it two days ago and I have hated
    every minute of this. The whole sound system with walking (It sounds like you character is wearing concrete shoes!), a graphic quality where even playing at ultra which i currently am, looks like in some places the texture of a Xbox / Ps2 console generation and a combat system where smacking a player can kill them in two hits with a torch yet if you do it to a Zombie, you could be there for hours!! This game apparently is beyond alpha and is ready for steam (which it has been removed) which is pathetic and steam made a huge mistake there by promoting it!

Another thing which i want to bring up is the revival system (when you die you have to wait to revive your character to use it again) which at first is a clever thing in my own opinion, however, the notion of paying money to revive a dead character with real life money and then forcing you to agree to a T&C (terms and conditions) that removes your right for refunds and you cannot argue back is pretty much illegal and that side of it is pathetic and i personally cannot condone! Also with this the notion of using your own money to buy items where when you die you loose it is stupid and in no way shape or point worth it.

The things that are promised are not there, the game has had incredible bad reputation and quite honestly i can understand from their previous exploits of banning people who are requesting refunds etc of high ranking online banking systems etc.

Quite honestly, this i a rip off and i feel cheated out of my money and other zombie survival games such as Dayz which is an alpha mod which is free and a game named state of decay which is also an sandbox zombie survival style game (in the same style as dead island) where you can play over multiplayer but doesn't have the pathetic in game money scam. Watch reviews, people playing it already, video's before even going to click the buy button as this game is not worth it!
  11. Dec 19, 2012
    The War Z is a very feature lacking mod that is developing so slowly the developers kids may have to take over once they retire. The entire Hammerpoint Interactive company has tried to capitalize on the success of the wildly popular DayZ mod and has failed miserably. Hammerpoint is a bunch of money mongering douchebags and you should not buy their ****
  12. Dec 19, 2012
    Never seen a game so corrupt in its creation. EULA is copied from League of Legends, game engine and models are copied from War Inc., blatant lies about development for 2 years(was announced out of the blue after DayZ became popular) and rampant censorship on their forums
  13. Dec 19, 2012
    The game is not very good, it feels like the animations were last minute.
    It's taken the concept from dayz and tried to re-create it in a more modern-looking setting.
    It's graphics are near cartoon-like, unrealistic.. i already had so many no-clip hackers runing my gameplay.
    I made a complaint on the forum and they warned me for it as apparently reporting people for hacking is against
    the rules............... i'd avoid the game, it's fun for a few minutes, not worth your time. Expand
  14. Dec 19, 2012
    The game is a scam, please do not waste your money. If you need the history of Sergei just look up Big Rigs Off the Road Racing, you won't be disappointed.
  15. Dec 19, 2012
    I literally made a metacritic account just to give this game a 0. I do not understand how anyone could be defending it. It is complete garbage. More than half of the features it claims to have are missing, it is incredibly unforgiving to new players, they want to charge you to respawn straight away, zombie AI is woeful, I could literally go on for paragraphs. I don't know if/when it will improve, but for now stay away. Play Day Z, it's free and far superior to this piece of rushed, flawed, unpolished piece of dog poop. Expand
  16. Dec 19, 2012
    this game is crappy, it is really a huge scam dont buy it, just wait for the dayz standalone, like i am even tho i never played the actual mod if arma 2 co will be on sale i will get it just for the mod
  17. Dec 19, 2012
    Bought this game from their website thewarz.com and decided to try it despite the reviews. Off the bat I spawned, moved down a hill and nearly killed myself for going down a 10 degree downgrade that nearly took half my health. So i took my bandages and carried on. I was really excited to play this due to the review Game informer gave it in its latest issue. Absolutely garbage says I. Nothing in the review was accessible in game. Guns were few and very far between, constant PKing despite having no gear at all, and random zombie agro (through a wall? I think not hammerstone) This feature should not even be on a paid-for market.. the game is simply that bad. Texture glitches, zombies that get agro from 50 meters away, and losing all of your items (even items you BOUGHT with real money through the GC trade) are Gone! That was probably the worst thing about this game. I paid an extra $20 for some Gold Coins in game which I could buy a hammer or some backpacks or med packs, ALL of which were lost when I died. Complete and utter **** Please save your $15 and wait until this game slowly bleeds to death. Expand
  18. Dec 19, 2012
    Short and sweet: Cash grab update and multiple lies. Constantly placing the blame on your customers, claiming we "misread" this and that. Inexcusable.
  19. Dec 19, 2012
    You couldn't pay me 100 bucks to sit and play this sorry excuse for a game. That is without mention of the horrible lead developer of the project - you might know him from some games such as big rigs racing. Yeah, THAT GUY.
  20. Dec 19, 2012
    This game is so bad, no level design, awful graphics, it's a joke ! Don't support these guys, it's a big scam, save your money ! They banned users for spreading the truth, this is totally unacceptable !
  21. Dec 19, 2012
    I didn't buy the game from steam, so I can't even get a refund for this crap. This game is horrible! Your first 10 characters can start off with flashlights and food and water, then after that they start with NOTHING. You can try to get to a town (if you don't get player killed first) and try to find some supplies, if you do, then you will probably just find garbage. Guns are extremely hard to find and once you find them you are almost guaranteed to get shot in the back of the head by a hacker. I've seen SEVERAL people just walking up walls, jumping super high, and killing me when they are absolutely no where around me. When it is dark you might as well stop playing all together and log on later because you can't see ANYTHING. The only way you can see is with a flash light, which you are no longer given after you have died so many times. Also, the absolute worst thing about the game is the revive timer. It is ONLY there for the devs to make more money. Total waste of money! Expand
  22. Dec 20, 2012
    Those two links alone should MORE than explain why you should NEVER support this game in any way. You absolutely can not let them get away with lying to you over and over, there is no excuse. I hope they get sued. Regardless of if you like the game or not, letting them get away with this is irresponsible, and downright immoral. This can not stand, if you've already bought it DEMAND a refund, and don't be afraid to take legal action if they do not let you, which is quite a possibility. If you haven't bought into this then do NOT. If you've looked at my links and still buy into this you are incredibly stupid and your are hurting the entire industry and proving you are a sheep Expand
  23. Dec 19, 2012
    I have played a lot of terrible games in my life, but none so horrible as this. Can't believe I wasted fifteen bucks on this. Bugs, Glitches and well no one really plays fairly. Top that off with being so uninspired.
  24. Dec 20, 2012
    I expect professionalism in a game release.
    If it's paid and not ready, then don't release it on Steam.

Have some pride for your own work for sake!
    Don't use "inspirations" from other works, movies and games so damn closely. It is bad taste.

I expect something better on Steam, and not something like on the Android Play Store with shameless Temple Run clones.
  25. Dec 20, 2012
    You can tell how this game was just off War inc and just put out there like a dangling piece of **** if this was a year effort i would hate to see how much work they put in their game if they released it and now that they did its utter **** It seems like they're trying to compete with DayZ by releasing it earlier but everyone knows that DayZ was the real game and just because you release your game first doesn't mean its better. Shame on them for not even admitting they copied DayZ completely Expand
  26. Dec 20, 2012
    This game is a scam. Spend your money elsewhere. This is a cash grab with an amateur "game studio" that is attempting to cash in on the success of the DayZ mod for Arma II.
  27. Dec 20, 2012
    Got my refund. What a terrible game. All a money grab. It's obvious they wanted to get the game out before the Holidays so they could rack up the money. Lawsuits will be raining upon them soon. Pretty much everything involved this game is a rip off of something else.
  28. Dec 20, 2012
    There are a number of things I can't stand about The War Z, and I would just love to share them with you. What follows is a series of remarks addressed to the readers of this letter and to The War Z itself. I sometimes joke about how moralistic maggots suffer from a collective self-image that prefers victimization to success and imposes a suffocating group conformity that ostracizes nonconformists. But seriously, it must be pointed out that I find The War Z's ruinous policies and dubious values unacceptable. Its followers probably don't realize that because it's not mentioned in the funny papers or in the movies. Nevertheless, trying to suppress people's instinct and intellect is just as distasteful as trying to subject us to an intense barrage of misinformation, deception, and hidden propaganda. And I can say that with a clear conscience because from secret-handshake societies meeting at "the usual place" to back-door admissions committees, its cultists have always found a way to poke someone's eyes out. If you read The War Z's writings while mentally out of focus, you may get the sense that The War Z's plane of understanding is beyond the realm of human imagining. But if you read its writings while mentally in focus and weigh each point carefully, it's clear that if it can't stand the heat, it should get out of the kitchen.

The War Z's faithfuls have learned their scripts well and the rhetoric comes gushing forth with little provocation. If society were a beer bottle
  29. Dec 20, 2012
    the idea of the game is amazing... but this game is just the worst **** i every bought not only that, the developers gives you false information (that's why it was removed from steam!!! ROFL) oh and if you didn't like the game, you can't get a refund... no matter what, don't even try get into the support website, they take more than 3 days to answer it if they answer... don't let yourself be scammed like us, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!! Expand
  30. Dec 20, 2012
    Pros: Zombies!!!

Cons:
    --Not as advertised.
    --Inconsistent pay model.
    --Dishonest and disrespectful developers.
    --A scam and money grab.
    --Stolen copyright material.
  31. Dec 20, 2012
    Game Liar! Do not buy! I want my money back! But unfortunately I ventured to do the pre-purchase. These producers have lost my trust! They won a lot of money today, but they will not have any more tomorrow!
  32. Dec 20, 2012
    False advertising, poor development decisions and a rough product make me seriously doubt this game and the developers future. I received a refund for the full price.
  33. Dec 20, 2012
    I purchased this game before the alpha was even released, and at 2am of the 16 5 hours after it should have been released i knew it would be a flop... And it has been, the game is awful, at points i will be killed before i even get into the game as your body is rendered as an entity before you can even get off of the loading screen. So it's pointless even trying to retain gear in this game or even play it in fact. That along with the blatant attempt at grabbing our money and running is enough to turn me from defending this game to telling everyone i can to NEVER BUY THIS GAME EVER! Expand
  34. Dec 20, 2012
    OK so what's the point? I go around, grabbing chocolate bars, sodas, bash zombies (very stupid zombies) in the head with a baseball bat, and above all AVOID OTHER PLAYERS. For what? You can't manipulate objects, can't build stuff, open doors, close doors, do anything but run, eat, drink, and run some more. Biggest danger is **** human players shooting you (I have yet to find a gun) when you spawn. Awesome. I expect better screening from Steam. Expand
  35. Dec 20, 2012
    This game is utter garbage. Instead of marketing it as an MMO, they should market it as a MMPC (Massively Multiplayer Plagiarism Campaign). There is no originality to be found, and that includes their art, and other things about the game. This company should be sued into bankruptcy for stealing other people's work and passing it off as their own. I mean, if any one of us did that, would that not be what happens to us? Copyright infringement ring a bell? Do not give your money to these people. Sue them, if you wish, but definitely do not give money to them. Before I am written off as a Day Z fanboy, I have yet to play that specific game. Yes, I would like to, and I would love to see the genre expand (I wanted this type of genre years ago!), but not this way. This isn't right. I hope this company crashes and burns for this. Expand
  36. Dec 20, 2012
    If you care about your money, dont use it to buy this piece of **** Me and 3 friends tried to play this game. First week nothing but game crashes, bugged items, walls, floor etc. 2nd week getting killed by hackers at every corner. Tried to get a refund, i played the game for 2 weeks so fair enough, should have prolly pulled my money out after the first 2 days, but i had hopes that the game would become what they had promised it to be. Tried it a few days ago out of boredom. Heard that you PAY to start a clan in this MMO haha i mean are they even thinking? People keep spawning in behind you in buildings, hackers shoot you through the ceiling, the map is just bad. People get banned from the game by complaining.

For example the biggest city in the game have around 4 buildings that you can enter out of the 50 that are there, the rest is just prop. I think there are 8-10 seperate buildings in the entire game copypasted all over the place to make cities. They keep utdating mundane things like the "map" not the map you run around on, but the map you pull up to see where you are, that keeps getting updated. From what i gather they just confessed that they dont have a antihacker program, but instead they put items in places where only hackers could get to them and banned them that way. All and all ****ty game, could have been good, but they just keep lying and implementing the dumbest money grabbing crap features.
  37. Dec 20, 2012
    This game is a peice of ass on a platter. False advertisement, shopped photos of walking dead for website art, banning anyone that posts on the forums or steam hub that they dislike the game, completely immature staff, a F2P game that costs money, has a pay 2 win cash shop and 4 hour respawn times that you have to pay to respawn early, a blatant cash in on the DayZ craze, and the developer just went off to vegas to spend all of our money.

Stay away.
  38. Dec 20, 2012
    I bought into this game in "alpha" for $25 which is outrageous to start of with. Then they release it for less than $15 without giving anyone who bought in early anything? The game is actually fun to play but not because of the work the developers have put into it. Since I started playing months ago they've only expanded the map a bit (most of the new places aren't even worth going to anyway), added clans which you have to pay for, and thrown on a terrible third person cross-hair. Oh and they also increased the respawn timer to 4hours while adding a pay to revive feature. Shady. This company is clearly milking a brilliant concept while putting in little to no effort. Watching the gong show this game has become is more entertaining than the game itself. Expand
  39. Dec 21, 2012
    I'm never ever going to play this game again. Worst 10 Euros I've ever spent. I'm not a DayZ fan boy, but I've played both games now and The War Z is a complete rip-off of Dayz, no matter what the developer have said. They are obviously only in it for the money. Quickly mashed something together and released it on steam with incorrect info on their game. lol and the developers claiming that 94% of their players were content with the game. I think its absolutely shameful and embarrassing that a "professional" gaming company cant do better than the guys who made the FTP DayZ mod. Expand
  40. Dec 23, 2012
    This game is a quick cashgrab. First I still had trust in this. But then they released the game on steam and they called that this game is out of beta. It isn't even worth being out of alpha. It had potential. WarZ is ignoring all communication and their payment company is illegally denying refunds. I just know already they will not finish this game as promised. They will run off with our money later. I defended them first but there is a limit and they go far beyond that. A death is a big thing in this game. you lose everything you carry with you, yet the game is full of hackers and its a FFA deathmatch. Expand
  41. Dec 20, 2012
    What do you get when you mix a f2p fps engine with an uncreative dev team? ****
  42. Dec 20, 2012
    This game is a game developed in 5 months and is a piece of trash. DO NOT BUY IT. Just wait for the DayZ Standalone to come out, which this game actually completely ripped off. Bad textures, bad gameplay, hackers, etc.
  43. Dec 20, 2012
    DO NOT BUY!!!! Wow. 100% terrible 0 out of 10. Clearly not even ready for alpha release. Don't even bother with the $15 price tag, everything that you do in game costs real money. There is an in game money system, but a bandage that you find in every building costs $4500, which you could probably raise by killing around about 700 zombies that lag all over the place and can instakill. Game just forces you to spend real world money from your own pocket. All the screenshots are ripped off from the walking dead and Shaun of the dead. Complete failure Expand
  44. Dec 20, 2012
    Played the game for a few hours, in that time I was beat to death by invisible people spawning on top of me. Spent hours exploring a world that was smaller than claimed, based on a graphics engine from the early 90's, moving slower than a snail. If I could give this game a negative score I would, being that it was already pulled from Steam and and after threats of being banned and black listed for asking for a refund I feel my words are best placed here for all to see where Hammerpoint can't censor or remove reviews. This game is 100% bad from top to bottom and I regret buying it and I hope no one else gets suckered into purchasing this load of waste. Expand
  45. Dec 20, 2012
    Obvious scam: lies, suppressing critics, banning people from game for having complaints, hack protection is randomly banning people, everything in game is stolen/ripped off - not even improved! Meanwhile the dev/producer of the game denies everything, accuses critics of bizarre stuff and more and more lies. there's no honest word out of this guys mouth, it's always half truths and lies. That is why this game is a scam. Also, good luck getting a refund. Expand
  46. Dec 20, 2012
    As much as i wish to play good,bugless zombie survival game i must give this game a 0 for failing hard...total ripoff dayz to make fast money on its success,its looking more and more like lots of 15 min games made to score money on someones success.
  47. Dec 21, 2012
    This game is shady and the developers behind it use flat out lies to try an cover the scam that this game really is. Do not waste your money on it. Just be happy and wait for the Dayz standalone game that will come out in 2013.
  48. Dec 21, 2012
    I bought this game in october so I could play the alpha. I actually really enjoyed myself. I even started a group/clan on it. But I uninstalled it yesterday because the developers are just in it for the money. You guys should check http://warzscam.tumblr.com/ to see all the lies they told us just to get our money. I can't believe I paid 30 dollars for this game...
  49. Dec 21, 2012
    So bad, the game could be fun but it has so many bug and flaws, it hat so many hacks that is hard not to find one. This game could be fun if they made it right. But as right now, it just suck...
  50. Dec 21, 2012
    This game is nothing but a desperate attempt to make some money out of the "Day Z fever" with a bad port from War Inc, which is a pretty horrible game by itself.
    It is by far the worst game that has ever landed on Steam, thank god Steam soon realised and removed it.
    DO NOT BUY this garbage.
  51. Dec 23, 2012
    Do not purchase this game. Many features listed on Steam are completely missing. The price was reduced to less than $15 in order to squeeze as much money from the game before it dies. I repeat: do not purchase this game, you will not get what you think you are getting. Just look at the War Z forums to see the problems
  52. Dec 23, 2012
    The war z is in a state i would describe as nothing more than a glorified alpha. Despite what everyone may say about its current "foundation release" state it has almost no polish and no real features. Beta's at least have some features and in most ways resemble a playable game. Ignore all of the good reviews because they are rating the game for what it could be, not what it is. I will agree, this game has so much potential. It could be a huge success. But not with this company, especially with the critic reviews starting to come out. This game will be abandoned, in my opinion. Expand
  53. Dec 23, 2012
    Only a real bastard of a company would put a game out like this. And even more so handle the feedback the way they do. It's an incomplete quick cash grab with piss poor support for it's community. I implore anyone who is on the fence about this game and it's company to please spend your money elsewhere. The game isn't worth your money, and by even buying it your pretty much funding a company that craps all over it's customers/fans. Buy the walking dead games if you really want to play a zombie game, tell tale loves it's fans and supports it's community in spades. Expand
  54. Dec 23, 2012
    I have not experienced such a blatant money grab of a game in 20 years of gaming. Their anti cheat detection is little more than items in places they feel only hackers would go, not places you actually cant reach. Just places out of the way enough they didnt think normal people would approach them. The game spent only six months in development and now to top it off the name will be forced to change. Stay away from this blatant scam. Expand
  55. Dec 23, 2012
    I do not recommend buying this game, Features showed on the steam list aren't even included in the game. And still claiming we 'misread' it. The map was told to be almost as it size as Dayz map. (NOT) Half of it is covered in rocks.
  56. Dec 23, 2012
    Probably the worst Zombie game I've ever played, it's supposedly "finished" but apparently saying it's a "foundation" release means you can say it's finished when it's actually not. There's lots of features missing that were supposedly in the game but they're just not there.
    Although editing those features out from the store steam page after people bought the game sure fixed that!
    If
    walking around aimlessly for hours doing absolutely nothing then getting shot by people you can barely see is your kind of game then by all means get this game.

Avoid this game and its corrupted fan-boy community at all costs.
  57. Dec 23, 2012
    Plagiarized game, Dayz ftw! We all were hoping this game was better so Dayz stand alone would have had some copetition and it would improve the zombie mmo community, pitty at least it brings some to the table. The game looked like dayz from the start, the name even was the same amount of letters ect... good riddance Expand
  58. Dec 23, 2012
    Purchased the game through Steam. The game is simple enough, delivers on some interesting points of play but in the end it's a shallow game with little staying power outside of griefing other players.

Map: Colorado - less than 10% of the promised size. While still a huge map, the size is just under 10% of the 100km which were promised. Weapons: You cannot punch, push, trip or do
    anything to protect yourself from zombies unless you have a weapon. The weapons are exceeding sparse in game and cost a good chunk of ingame money or a micro transaction worth roughly a dollar for a bat (which can be lost immediately if you die).

Item Despawn: If you die and have another character available to get your items chances are within 2-5 minutes your items will despawn. This was tested using 2 account - PvP deaths result in a despawn of items within 3 minutes in most cases and PvE deaths are roughly the same (averaged out) the lowest despawn time on items was observed to be 0:43 seconds and the longest was 3:20 seconds.

Respawning a Character: The game has fluxtuated between how to get your character alive again. From a 1 hour time before you can use the character again (meaning your items will be lost from either looters or despawning). The game has also put into place but removed a 4 hour respawn timer with the option for a micro transaction to revive your character early (costing 50credits) nearly $0.50 to revive each time. It's been observed that spawn areas are not safe and often you can pay real money to revive and be killed while still loading into the game. The early revive option was removed for undisclosed reason.

Microtransactions: As explained above the cost of items through microtransactions is substantial. From nearly $2.50 worth of credits for 10 rounds of ammo to around a Dollar for a wooden bat. Since on death you lose all items this means other players can kill and loot all your real money purchased items (and they often do).

The game mechanics - As stated combat options are limited, guns are nearly impossible to obtain, ammo is even more rare and a simple blunt weapon (bat or hammer) can take an hour or so to find. Since these items are in high population areas populated by NPC zombies and players; chances are you'll die attempting to get anything useful and be looted of what little you had, thus reinforcing the need to use real money to get any sort of advantage.

Combat Damage: PveE - Sometimes a zombie will hit you for nearly no health other times one swipe will take our more than 50% of your hp, the damage is unreasonable at best and does not make for a uniform experience. Falling from a few feet sometimes will be fatal (from a box top) or do not damage (falling from a fence). This makes judging any kind of fall distance impossible as the results are completely unpredictable.
    PvP - Get shot once and you're certain to die or get hit once with a hammer you might die, or it could take 15 hits to kill you. All have been observed. Headshots are not reliable - having tested - some headshots will kill and sometimes 2 or 3 will not kill a target (PvP and PvE included).

Running is the only defense player have from Zombies and some zombies are still buggy and will chase you indefinitely. Players have a gauge which limits the duration they can run and zombies do not and naturally run faster than humans so save your run gauge for when it's really needed.

Safe-zones: Sure you cannot be shot here but plenty of jerks are around camping the outskirts of the safe zones waiting to get players coming or going; these safezones are the only place you can be if you want to add microtransaction items to your inventory, so you can purchase and item, enter game, try to leave, get killed and immediately lose your item you spent real money on.

MMO: This game is nothing more than a larg(er) scale deathmatch map as seen in Call of Duty or any other FPS. The game worlds are not persistent, they are stagnant and do not feel 'living' nor 'undead'. NPC respawn moments after killing them, there's no randomness to what spawns where, you know where the items will spawn in each location (only what item will spawn is random and done on a loot table with a % chance for each type of item, weapons obviously lowest chance). This is NOT a hardcore/hardmode MMO, it's a FPS claiming to be more than it is capable of being.

Sound: The distance/volume of zombie sound effects is bugged and the sound of footsteps is often bugged sounding like metal while on grass.

Opinion: Don't bother with this game. If you want a 'hardcore' experience in a TRUE MMO check out a game such as Darkfall Online (about to relaunch in Jan 2013) or a game such as Eve. As this game is no more than an FPS, there are simply better FPS options out there including the Arma II Mod Day Z which this game has copied.

In the end "The War Z" has/had huge potential. If the issues noted above are addressed.
  59. Dec 23, 2012
    Started the game some month after the release ... Stopped playing the same day I bought it ... You can't even survive 30 minutes, because the game is unbalanced as hell... All the old players have a lot of guns and you can't find one, since they lower their spawn rate .... Yay ... How do you want to survive on a stupid environnement ruined by stupid developers ?!
  60. Dec 23, 2012
    Doesn't even deserve to have 1 point in its user score. I had high hopes for a new zombie game but was sadly disappointed to SEE the first hand nonsense that was being produced. This game has been filled to the brim with blatant lies and a serious disregard for the fan base. Luckily for all of us there are much better choices out there and we can kick Sergey to the curb just like he deserves. Anyone who willing purchases this game deserves to lose their money. Expand
  61. Dec 23, 2012

~ ♥
  62. Dec 24, 2012
    Sicky game ever Stay so much away. Horrible gameplay, bad worlds, idiot zombies, too much bugs and cheaters. Your money is going air :D Dont buy this game! Still waiting for Dayz Standalone
  63. Dec 24, 2012
    This game is the worse game i play ever, unfinished , unbalanced , unworking anti-cheat system, ugly textures ,full of bugs.... etc , thanks to steam i have a refound.
  64. Dec 24, 2012
    A hopeless gamble at riding on the popularity that is DayZ; this game does less to successfully advanced the Zombie Survival horror genre and instead bury it by falsely and grossly over exaggerating its features. The true victims of this game are the developers and artists who were pulled into a get rich quick scheme. Good talent going to waste and forever tarnishing their careers for one man's ambition to make a lot of money off lies and abuse. This "Game" should be considered an abomination, a disgusting Frankenstein monster and should be ignored at all costs. No matter what you paid or may pay for War Z, the price of letting games like this exist; games which only exist to take advantage of people in such a poor economy, is too high and one we all can't afford. Do yourself a favor and avoid this game, and urge your friends to as well. Spread the word and give hope to developers and artists and programmers entering this genre to feel comfortable and confident. And if you are a buyer, I encourage you to get a refund. Not even because it is going to get you your money back, but to send a message. A message that gamers shouldn't be afraid of what they're buying anymore. ~ ♥ Expand
  65. Jun 19, 2013
    Ok So this game has gotten one of the worst receptions of any game I've seen in a long time, and that being said it did deserve it when it was first released, it was littered with bugs hackers and many other issues and while it's still far far far from perfect it's slowly but surely being rectified and i myself, have found myself playing it again with the installation of punk buster, and numerous graphical and game fixes.

Now something i really feel that i need to tell you is that this game will constantly get negative reviews now simply because it had a bad reception on release i mean Ive read a lot of the recent reviews and people are still basing there opinions on what it was like in Alpha..... I honestly never expect this game to get an overall good review but i feel that any one considering buying this game should know the truth.

It's a playable and fun game with mates now that it's more or less hack free, there is a lot of promised new content such as cars new maps new weapons and so on, the game has a huge potential but without lying to you the game company running it is far from the best, but if you're willing to be patient i can assure you that for £10-15 it's money well spent if you play with your friends you can find whole days going by playing this game.
  66. Dec 31, 2012
    I don't know why this game is catching so much flak already. It's only in it's Alpha release state... oh wait, this was actually released? And I paid money for it? Son of a...
  67. Jan 11, 2013
    Terrible graphics and gameplay, all packed into a small map that's not even nearly as big as advertised (it's only about ~10KM2 playable.) I think the only thing it really has going for it is a better UI compared to 'that other' zombie mod. Full of cheaters. Sparsely populated with braindead zombies with terrible AI and animations where they don't quite 'shamble' and don't quite 'run' it's almost like a half jog, and they come at you in a perfectly straight line which looks terrible when you've got a group of them after you.

You can't swim for some reason, instead only being able to go into the water about waist deep or so.

I say terrible graphics simply because the game is full of low-poly trees and foliage, topped off with low-res textures. It doesn't matter how much post-processing effects they add like HDR, DoF, sun-shafts, lens flare, bump-mapping...you can't polish a turn. Low-res textures look like crap. Low-res textures covered up with all these extra effects looks like shiny crap. And the color palette is a bit odd, mostly because everything has that 'overexposed' vivid, almost cartoony colors. I think it's an attempt to help the landscape look impressive, which admittedly sometimes the view you have of nature looks good, but most of the time it just doesn't work.

Then there's all the BS surrounding the devs. They're a bunch of lying pricks who change their story and accuse their fans of 'misreading' the features listed on the Steam launch. Terribly unprofessional and one has to wonder just how old some of these guys are.

Then an ex-mod comes out and makes all these claims, which he later retracted once he got his job back. The thing that smells fishy to me is that if you had a guy lying and spreading terrible rumors about your company, you don't just give him his job back if he agrees to shut his mouth by saying he was lying. You do that if he was telling the truth and just want to shut him up so you agree to give him a piece of the pie.

The apologists are funny as hell too. A lot will say "Yeah, the devs are a bunch of lying a$$holes and douches, but I still kinda like the game so you shouldn't be hating on the game so much." That's like saying "Yeah, the devs punch babies and drown kittens, but I still like the game so I want to be able to buy it on Steam again." It's no wonder society has issues. First world problems where morals don't matter as long as you get your video game and Big Mac, right?

Just my two cents.
  68. Jan 11, 2013
    A classless game trying to scam its users. I'll give it a 1 out of 10 solely for the fact that this is a game. Avoid this game, 2,084 people can't be wrong.
  69. Jan 11, 2013
    Let me put it this way, if out of 200 reviews this has 1 good review, do you think this game is worth it?

Worst game ever played, even being an Alpha you can tell the game was not even real, it looks like they grabbed the graphics engine, modified some little stuff, put a name on it, and shell it out while unplayable. You will want to wait until Day Z comes out, worst purchase of my life.
  70. Jan 13, 2013
    Obvious cash grab trying to capitalize on the success of DayZ... The devs have demonstrated on several occasions how little they care about their users. All they're interested in is money.
  71. Jan 13, 2013
    This is a horrible game full of lies. The HACKERS in the game have developed almost as many fixes to bugs than the actual Developers. On top of this, a free emulator for the game has more functions than the real game. If you are looking for a good zombie game, try DayZ.
  72. Jan 14, 2013
    Ive been playing for two hours, and since have been killed everytime from people across map cheating. How do i know, cause a few times i was in a 4 walled room with no one in but me. Or was single person on server and was instantly killed as someone logged in player number 2 on server instantly. This game does nothing to fix cheaters and glitcher, company censors complaints and bans at random with no proof. As one of my friends was playing for two hours with me dying constantly then out of the air banned with no reply in email or explanation. On top of all this the game falsely advertised everything it was supposed to have, im suprised no ones thought to sue this company for False Product Information luring buyers in with bells and whistles but yet not providing any of the listed items on site this game is complete garbage and another example of a company only worried about there microtransactions continueing on. The only people playing it now are the modders, and the new starters that come into a game with false preceptions provided by the company and instantly killed by someone with aim bot or floating under map etc list goes on. Steam is also guilty for putting a BETA game up for sale and not informing what people are buying both companys should be sued for false advertising, shady microtransactions etc. Expand
  73. Jan 14, 2013
    This game truly sucks ass. If you enjoy working tirelessly for hours upon hours only to have all of your hard work ripped away from you by hackers then this is the game for you.
  74. Jan 15, 2013
    The War Z is a horrible attempt at a cash shop based MMOFPS. You have to wait 4 hours to respawn on death or you can pay with your hard earned cash to revive and possibly die again. Avoid at all costs.
  75. Jan 26, 2013
    This game was rushed and was executed rather sloppily. I usually don't let things like, being in Beta or technical issues lower my scores but this game was REALLY bad. Being rushed onto the market, Beta Release being constantly pushed back, then all the really good features still 'Soon
  76. Jan 17, 2013
    War Z is a game that no one, outside of an incredibly small niche, would have cared about if it wasn't handled by the ridiculously offensive Hammerpoint team.
    As it is now, it stands as a sad collection of everything that could be wrong with a modern game.
    A "finished" mediocre game released in beta stage with intent to update later, throwaway DLC and in-game store that uses real money,
    remarkably slow respawns to punish players, treating all players like they're potential troublemakers, deceitful marketing, banning players for criticism, etc. Expand
  77. Jan 19, 2013
    The game failes to deliver each and every one of its promises and the way company communicates and the way it deals with the issues are both disrespectful and dishonest.
    it's feels like a scam.
  78. Jan 20, 2013
    Too bad this game got so much press bad before it even entered Beta testing. The gaming world has spoken, and the witch hunt is on. Obviously this is not a perfect game, there are problems with it, however a user metacritic score of 1.3 shows the shallowness of the metacritic reviewer. This is same mentality that gave mass effect 3 a 4.6, and modern warfare 3 a score of 3.3. The premise of this game is very interesting, open world survival mmorpg, and while the execution was somewhat lacking, there is nothing quite as tense as the PvP confrontations in this game. In 25 years of gaming I can honestly say I have never been as viscerally scared as I was after raiding for three hours and then having another player run into your view. There has been much made of server problems, hackers, and glitches. and while these were pretty widespread during the alpha, things have improved tremendously in beta. I will not argue that this game is a copy of Day Z however I will argue that every game is a rip off of another game somehow. EVERY game barrows ideas, mechanics, settings, art, enemies, from somewhere else, and we're better for it . This game is much more accessible than Day Z, there are random spawns so you don't have to worry about spawn campers. Additionally the controls aren't as complex as Day Z, the zombies don't instantly overwhelm you, you begin with a flashlight that you can melee and it is possible to run away if there are too many zombies. Overall I felt it was a flawed, but satisfying experience and for $20 dollars I've certainly gotten my moneys worth out of this game. Expand
  79. Jul 19, 2013
    You see all those glowing user reviews? Well I do too and it's painfully obvious that most of them either made the game or have been payed to promote it. I'm looking at you in particular Bathsalt_Addict. One of the more transparent ones. Customers fault my hairy arse cheeks. I can only assume that the small handful who are neither of the above are desperately trying to convince themselves they didn't waste their money. Well you did. And so did I. WarZ (change the name all you want) is a wreck of a game. Boring. Slow. Awkward. Whoever pays for stuff in that game is an idiot. Do not by this train wreck. Maybe you can get it for that special someone who you really hate. Expand
  80. Jan 24, 2013
    disappointing graphics and controls, boring game-play, deceptive description and presentation with bold lies, dubious micro transactions, horrible attitude by the developer. Do not buy.
  81. Jan 24, 2013
    this is my first review but this needs to be said i baught this game played for a few hours got owned by hackers the graphics are garbage gameplays garbage its not a mmo its about as much a survival game as tetris is a first person shooter a simmilar experience too playing this game is doing a massive **** on the floor then playing with the **** for a few hours only up side i guess is there is zombies and zombies are cool actually no they **** that up so thats not a upside **** this game **** them ****s that stole my money Expand
  82. Jan 24, 2013
    A game should be fun, not a tedious experience. In general it's an abusive environment with absolutely no immersive content. It's filled with hackers and players exploiting the under-performing engine. There is absolutely no reason to spend any amount of money on this game and certainly isn't worth the disk-drive space on your PC.
  83. Jan 27, 2013
    Purchased this while at the pre-order stage and was really eager to play from footage shown. It soon became apparent that the game was no where near complete, claiming to be in alpha stage it was acceptable for it to have minor glitches and for there to be room for improvement but this didn't change through to the 'release' There is so much potential for a game like this to be something amazing, and the war z falls short every step of the way. The game as it stands to me is unfinished... by a long shot, realistically there should have been another year of development before even considering releasing it rather than rushing it out and piggybacking off of the success and popularity of day z which it quite clearly is.

I would strongly advise avoiding this game, the focus I feel has been too much on making a quick buck - rather than concentrating on developing the game and a strong customer base they have shot themselves in the foot by being LAZY and GREEDY.
  84. Jan 30, 2013
    Incredibly bad game. As a DayZ player, I have known my share of random teleporting zombies, crazy bandits tricked out with sniper rifles, and really retarded controls. But hey, DayZ is a mod, it is free, and it freely admits to being in Alpha. WarZ, on the other hand, CHARGES you money to run around with the same bugs and more. For example, I never knew how dangerous it could be to walk down a freaking hill until I died doing so in WarZ. It still wouldn't be as bad if the devs didn't advertise for features that weren't there. In fact, the only real feature that works in WarZ is the microtransactions. Seriously, they should only exist in a Free-to-Play game, not a paid for game. The graphics in this game is also just as bad, with copy/paste trees and crappy melee attacks out of 2001. In conclusion, WarZ is an example of how badly a studio can screw up an exact copy of another game. 0/10 Expand
  85. Feb 1, 2013
    Worst game ever made, you have fun for the first 5 seconds, then you get killed by a hacker and realise how this game has NO purpose AT ALL. Oh, and thats only the beginning of an endless number of failures.
    Stay away from this game jesus christ
    If i dont get a refund im gonna sue these guys i swear
  86. Feb 3, 2013
    ok i dont know why people complain so much about the game its very good. people say there is so many bugs and glitches keep in mind its still in beta still far from release so stop complaining nowhere near done ive killed so many people complain about getting killed by hackers ive been killed once by a hacker out of 2 and a half months of gameplay a lot of times people kill you because they see you 1st and they keep watch of you and when they think its a perfect chance to attack they attack sometimes you can try to come back sometimes no they instantly kill you that means they hack? no means either you suck or there just a better player so people have to stop complaining just cause they suck or they got killed they start whining and report so yea i recommend this game for zombie lovers stop listening to all the haters just cause they suck at the game thats ignorant Expand
  87. Feb 3, 2013
    Horrible graphics, boring game play, you can't buy guns in the shop, but ammo? Seriously?! Why would you spend $15.00 on a game that should be free? Valve, remove this game from the store, It is copying the game DayZ, and is a scam, the description it says 40 to 100 people for each server, but the max is 50! The developers for this game should be kicked in the butt for having a scam to people who enjoy DayZ. My conclusion is that this game is not worth your money, and should be removed from the Steam store. Expand
  88. Mar 19, 2013
    Where to start with this pathetic excuse for entertainment. Playing a video game is supposed to be enjoyable, sadly this is not the case with The War Z. From ignorant developers to outright deception of their product, The War Z infuriates rather than entertains. When someone asks me, "What's the worst game you ever played." I finally have an answer for them. The War Z is the Citizen Kane of bad video games. Expand
  89. Feb 5, 2013
    This game has got to be the biggest piece of steaming scamming to hit PC in a lonnnnnnng while. If you bought this, give yourself an uppercut. If you like this game, go play in trafic!
  90. Feb 12, 2013
    No, Don't buy this game till: 1. They stop the hacking 2. They give you more reason to play 3. They add easier servers, possibly no pvp servers. 4. They take out certain items from the shops (i.e. Things that makes the people who have money OP.) Why buy this game? It is worth the initial $15 but, with that being said you can maybe play this game and have fun for a week or two. There is way to many hackers. Anyone that logs on with the tag "Thug" or "Bandit" you might as well log off. Sure, I have killed a few thugs but over all 90% of them are hacking jerk offs who have nothing better to do them buy the game spend loads of money on extra supplies and then go around killing the people that play legit.

I am so sick of being in a team of 6+ people and having a hackers come around the corner with auto aim and auto fire and killing 3 of us before we can even fire a shot. (Just happened to me and a friend) Hackers make the game impossible to play alone or ever with 2 people. If you don't have 4+ people to play with. There is no point in playing simply because you will die multiple time and you will not have fun.

In other good news... this game has a lot of potential. I am very excited for DayZ to come out as I have heard a lot of good things about it and not that many bad.

Over all, I will say this. GET RID OF THE HACKERS! I play many many games online and FPS games are a favorite of mine. Adding Zombies and a free roam map are just adding more glory to the play time. I hope they get their act together and get rid of the cheaters and hackers. Other then that, I doubt I will play much longer.

What have I spent on this game to prove I am not some rageaholic who didn't give the game a fair chance?

I Spent $15 to initially buy the game, plus I spent another $20 for in-game money because without it you run out of ammo and are screwed because of the hackers that all have endless supplies.

How much time did I spend on the game?

I have 22 hours play time and counting. I have 2 main Characters with over 5+ hours logged on them as well as many other accounts that are either deleted or not in use. My main character has almost 12 hours logged on him and that was just in the past 3 days. I play with a team of 4+ and rarely with duo teams where we run supply missions with nothing on us but a pack and hammer. I would warn everyone that if you don't like games where people hack. Don't play, plain and simple. You will be killed, hacker or not you will die. I have dies many many times. Some from zombies and 1 time by a sniper when I was alone. The other 5 deaths I have had from players was 1 from a friend and the other 4 were confirmed hackers.

All in all, I will more then likely stop playing this game soon, simple because it is stupid to work for hours on end just to die by someone cheating.
  91. Feb 12, 2013
    This comment will be long but please bare with me, so I decided to take a look through the positive comments for valid points to TRY and balance out my review from how I feel about the game and it just pushed me more and more to the negative side, the main trouble it the fact you cant take 99% of the reviews serious, for example some reviews only state negative things about the game and yet still give it 10/10??, others in their review say the game is 8/10 but scored it 10/10??….well these people are deluded to the point its scary, Zombie_Expert stating that the fact WarZ is only getting "hate" is because it came out after Dayz, if this was the case then MOH, Halo, COD (first games in the series) should have terrible reviews because they came out after Goldeneye, Doom, Quake, right?....wrong, they got good reviews because they were good, excellent in fact, so this argument is flawed. Hypnoso states "Not all the features are available yet but devs are releasing up to 3 patches a week" now to me that clearly states you have to buy a empty game, if the devs are having to put out 3 updates a week this clearly shows the game shouldn't be at a state where you can purchase it. TreePunchers "the best game I've played all year. I have no idea how this masterpiece has a 1.1 average. WTF are you people playing" how ANYONE can class WarZ better then "Journey" "The Walking Dead" "XCOM: Enemy Unknown" just to name a few is mind-blowing. There are also two comments I found insulting, but not because they used harsh or offensive language but because it came across so much so that my first reaction was "well they must have surely been paid off to say this" or they are just a genuine internet troll, hopefully the latter, look for reviews by "LucasSM15" "Scouser" for a true mindf**k. BETA Alpha are words banded around to defend it but even the dev has stated its not in BETA, Alpha or even full release, to me this means its just a lost game with no direction, that its been quickly patched together to make a quick buck off of the back of Dayz and why does it comes across that way?, well because its true. DayZ fans boys are another statement used constantly to defend WarZ, its this problem that the fact most of the positive reviewers cant be taken seriously, because they mostly dodge the real issues about the game but just blindly say “well it’s in BETA Alpha, it’s the DayZ fan boys, its haters, its this, its that, not many of them seem to be able to face the truth because funnily enough there is a reason why this game has this score and why its getting these sort or reviews. Anyway if you want to know more about why WarZ is being called a scam, reasons why it gets terrible reviews, go on Reddit, type in WarZ and read the post called “WarZ Evidence True Moneywhoring” Expand
  92. Feb 12, 2013
    This game is the worst game about zombies, it's a trash.
    Someone tryed to copy DayZ, P.S. I must pay for Beta?
    LOL, that don't buy that
  93. Feb 13, 2013
    I created this account to just say how much this game blows.
    Ive been playing since alpha and the game just keeps getting worse and worse.
    This game is broken to the point of no retuen.
    They relized this, and now are just trying to suck as much money from the players before dayz comes out and takes every single player
  94. Feb 15, 2013
    This game is a buggy, corrupted, laughable, cheap, knockoff of a superior free mod.
    The company is truly the worst company to ever "create" a video game.
    Do -NOT- buy this game.
  95. Feb 16, 2013
    2/16/2013
    I purchased this game after it had already been removed from steam thinking "how bad could it be?"
    Well this is by far the worst game I have purchased so far. The game is filled with hackers, The devs response to the issue was renting private servers at 50$ a month instead of getting rid of the hackers.
    They also cut their public servers back by 75% during the private server
    release to manipulate people to rent them since the other servers were full. The collision detection is completely jacked up where if you walk on rocks it makes loud metal noises and if you walk on metal it makes water splash noises. I'm convinced that the developers are either complete noobs or complete scammers. Either way nobody you want to support or buy a game from. There is absolutely no story or point to the game and it has one horrible map that you can cover in a couple of hours. Oh yeah and lovely spawn camping you can barely make it 100 ft from a safe zone without being killed and when you do chances are you won't have any weapons because the spawn campers looted you from your last death. 1 more thing. 1 hour respawn time. WTF?! Not only is this game in a sad state of development but these people should be sued for selling it as a finished game. Expand
  96. Feb 16, 2013
    Terrible game. Regret buying it. Got banned for nothing(?). My ban never got lifted.
    Full of bugs, lying developers.
    Tried to get a refund, but sadly I didn't pay with paypal, so their payment method wouldn't let me get a refund.
  97. Feb 16, 2013
    worst game ever made. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis piece of sshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  98. Feb 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Disgustingly bad game. Very unprofessional developers blatantly lying about the the features of the game. Over-presented and under-developed. Save your money and buy yourself something more worthwhile than this stupidly bad game unless you wish to get banned by the developers who openly cheat and break UK laws. Expand
  99. Feb 23, 2013
    it is unplayable if you are playing alone, but if you have good company of friends it can be fun too. There is not so many spawn killers at the moment and developers are patching it every month so il set rating 4 for it. If nothing will change it near future this game deserves 1 or even 0 rating.
  100. Sep 13, 2013
    really bad game just like this review.

1. Mar 7, 2013
    Its mechanical foundation - like this Foundation Release - crumbles at the lightest touch. [March 2013, p.94]
  2. Feb 22, 2013
    The War Z has about as much value as its crappy in-game melee weaponry and that’s not much at all. At least it doesn’t cost anything to play after you buy it, and the cash shop items are fair enough, so you won’t see people running around with machine guns just because they spent money. If you’re going to give your money to a zombie-survival game, grab ArmA II and a copy of the DayZ mod, or wait for the full retail version of DayZ to arrive on digital store shelves and check that out. Do not buy into The War Z.
  3. Feb 5, 2013
    The War Z might use the same elements that make DayZ an enthralling experience. But it puts them together so halfheartedly that you have to turn away in disbelief.