1.7

Overwhelming dislike- based on 3986 Ratings

1. Dec 19, 2012
    Absolutely terrible game I wish I never traded for this **** they are randomly banning players for no reason, I could easily go on and on how terrible this game is but... The list would just go on and on and on.
  2. Dec 19, 2012
    Game is absolute **** Full of hackers. No support from the forums/devs. Get banned from the forums for having a valid complaint. Had to contact my bank just to get a refund, because I have put in more than 15minutes into the game.
  3. Dec 19, 2012
    Without playing any previous title designed by Hammerpoint, I had humble expectations of The War Z. Upon joining in its Alpha Phase, I was pleasantly surprised at the gameplay, visuals, concept, etc. as well as the perceived interactivity between the developers and their community of players. However, this luster was short-lived... After a few months, the title released to Steam in aWithout playing any previous title designed by Hammerpoint, I had humble expectations of The War Z. Upon joining in its Alpha Phase, I was pleasantly surprised at the gameplay, visuals, concept, etc. as well as the perceived interactivity between the developers and their community of players. However, this luster was short-lived... After a few months, the title released to Steam in a SLIGHTLY "improved" version of the title at a reduced price. This was already a bit of a stab to those (like me) already spent more on an incomplete game. On top of that, I was made aware of some press releases concerning the issue of the game's incomplete nature and the blatant misuse of Steams 'game description' section. In these articles, I had to remind myself that a game developer - no doubt looking for a career in gaming - was the one answering the questions rather than a slightly handicapped fifth grader. I was astounded at the immense lack of professionalism accompanied by this uncouth nature in press. The developer goes on to blame the community for the lack of positive reviews... The community... He created... For his own game. A developer - yet, a human - that persists in not taking responsibility for his and his company's failures nor any form of reformative action does not deserve a consumer's business. The developer was lucky enough to have lured me in and I am made a fool for buying into this mess of a game. I would urge anyone to not make this mistake. It is clear that the funds of this game have not gone to a team anxious to hire new talent, buy new software (like an actual anti-cheat engine), or seek outside assistance to provide a better product - rather, I feel the funds have provided a higher standard of living for those who have not earned it. This game will be removed from my computer immediately, and I will give this game the rightful score of zero (0). Expand
  4. Dec 19, 2012
    This pathetic excuse for a game is nothing but a cash grab, and a polished turd. No, not even that, just a turd. I've been playing it since the very start and it's not any fun. It looks like arse, it runs like arse, it plays like arse. It's arse. The end.
  5. Dec 20, 2012
    A Sandbox(without the sand) FPS/3rd person shooter, with zombies getting in the way. You don't buy this game, you pay for Lifetime Alpha Access!

This is what a true survival horror should be. Not only should you have to endure zombies, and other players trying to kill you, but awful performance, bad frame rates, Lying developers, bugs, hackers, exploiters, and forum moderators too!

If this game ever gets all of its features implemented, I would say this game would be a 5 at best. As of right now, its unreviewable since its downright unplayable so that makes it a Zero in my book. This game is an FPS with a 1 hour respawn timer, and cash shop. Buying items with real money in this game is for stupid noobs, since its a full loot game. You will most likely get killed as soon as you zone into the game.

Currently you are only given four choices in this game.
    1)Create a Normal mode player to be played on any server.
    2)Create a Hardcore mode player to be played on any server.
    3)Logout.
    4)Uninstall.

I prefer option 4! And suggest that you stay away from The WarZ, unless you really, really like Zombies, and bad games.
  6. Dec 20, 2012
    This game is the biggest pile of **** since Big Rigs Racing. It's an obvious rip off of Day Z and the developers are **** I bought the game a couple of months ago directly from the website and I requested a refund a couple of weeks ago. I really tried to give this game a chance, I really want it to be good, but it's not in any way and it was most likely a get rich quick scheme requiringThis game is the biggest pile of **** since Big Rigs Racing. It's an obvious rip off of Day Z and the developers are **** I bought the game a couple of months ago directly from the website and I requested a refund a couple of weeks ago. I really tried to give this game a chance, I really want it to be good, but it's not in any way and it was most likely a get rich quick scheme requiring VERY little effort by the developers (models, texture, animations are directly copied from their F2P game War Inc.) and it shows. If you want to play a REAL zombie survival game, play Day Z, this game has nothing on Day Z and that is a free mod. Not to mention all the screenshots and gameplay that come from the developer are complete fabrications. I was supposed to get a discount for buying into the beta early, but it cost me nearly $30 when it cost only $13 now? Trust me, DO NOT waste your money you will regret this purchase. Expand
  7. Dec 20, 2012
    This game is an alpha mod of War, Inc, with the developers charging players money to play. It's being advertised by its developers as something it is not, including history of development and game features. Though this is not surprising given that Sergey Titov, the head guy at WarZ, has a history of half way developing budget titles and abandoning them once initial sales are made. See, forThis game is an alpha mod of War, Inc, with the developers charging players money to play. It's being advertised by its developers as something it is not, including history of development and game features. Though this is not surprising given that Sergey Titov, the head guy at WarZ, has a history of half way developing budget titles and abandoning them once initial sales are made. See, for instance, Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, noted as one of the worst games of all time due to advertised but missing features, a host of bugs, and lacking basic functionality like AI, physics modeling, or collision detection. In this light, WarZ appears to be another attempt, though more sophisticated, by Sergey at a cash grab. Expand
  8. Dec 20, 2012
    While scanning through the new games on Steam I stumbled upon "The WarZ". I heard about the game a few months ago but didn't really follow it's development. I loved DayZ and because this game is basically based on DayZ I thought it would be pretty cool. I was wrong. Only few of the features listed on the steam page actually existed in the game. The game runs like crap. I don't have theWhile scanning through the new games on Steam I stumbled upon "The WarZ". I heard about the game a few months ago but didn't really follow it's development. I loved DayZ and because this game is basically based on DayZ I thought it would be pretty cool. I was wrong. Only few of the features listed on the steam page actually existed in the game. The game runs like crap. I don't have the newest PC there is but I can run other games just fine on highest settings (including Far Cry 3, Skyrim etc). The gameplay is awful. Zombie AI is basically non-existent (they just zerg you, attack you from miles away and get attracted even while using stealth , loot is nearly impossible to find as a new player, you can't swim (???????? WHAT), sneaking feels very slow and buggy. The overall animations are really poor. Texture quality is on par with some very low-budget F2P games. The game isn't F2P, yet they have the guts of implementing a micro transaction shop which BTW sells ammo, food and other valuable items IN A SURVIVAL GAME! Also, if you decide to spend money on stuff like the hats, don't, you lose them once you die LOL.

Horrible, horrible game. Thanks for giving us a full refund and taking this piece of trash of your service Valve.
  9. Dec 20, 2012
    I voted 1 because of the work there probably was done. This game is a big scam because this is clearny not what they advertised for. I asked for a refund, they just blocked my account, and they never sent my money back. The graphics are like ages old, the game is not finished at all. This is just a money machine, nothing more. Every 3D objects come from a free to play game named War Inc.I voted 1 because of the work there probably was done. This game is a big scam because this is clearny not what they advertised for. I asked for a refund, they just blocked my account, and they never sent my money back. The graphics are like ages old, the game is not finished at all. This is just a money machine, nothing more. Every 3D objects come from a free to play game named War Inc. What's the point of making a new paid game based on a free one ? Expand
  10. Dec 20, 2012
    **** terrible game.
    Did I mention it's made by the same guy who made Big Rigs?
    Also,the moderators are terrible,will ban you for saying anything bad about the game or them.
    The developers are liars.
  11. Dec 20, 2012
    You've got some brass balls to steal from people in this day and age, everyone knows who you are Sergey, better watch your 6. The world doesn't take kindly to theft.
  12. Dec 20, 2012
    Hi guys, I'm here just to say one thing : Don't buy this game! Many features listed on Steam are completely missing. This "Sergey Titov" it's a liar! Just look at the War Z forums to see the problems, problems everywhere. PLEASE PLAY DAYZ, BUT DON'T PLAY THIS GAME!!
  13. Dec 20, 2012
    This is the worst peice of **** i have ever played, seriously , unbalanced and awful..., i seriously gave this game a chance, and to be fair the UI is pretty cool, but the bugs, hackers and gameplay is crap. its like how come you let this game be sold , its not even worth £1 let alone £10......
  14. Dec 20, 2012
    I was one of the suckers who bought this on Steam. Thank goodness for their expedited refunds. Aside from horribly misleading advertising, the game is awful. Even the promised "AAA graphics" are laughable. Not to mention a micro-transaction system inside a paid game. Many parts of the GUI seems broken, and the actual gameplay is terrible. I really cannot imagine that anyone thoughtI was one of the suckers who bought this on Steam. Thank goodness for their expedited refunds. Aside from horribly misleading advertising, the game is awful. Even the promised "AAA graphics" are laughable. Not to mention a micro-transaction system inside a paid game. Many parts of the GUI seems broken, and the actual gameplay is terrible. I really cannot imagine that anyone thought that this hot mess was ready to release as a finished product. It's an alpha and should have been thrown away. Expand
  15. Lys
    Dec 20, 2012
    Foreword: Before playing the War Z, I had not played DayZ, so I can't compare the two games. Though I will freely say, they're two different beasts, just with similar content matter.

Oh, and this is gonna be long. Deal with it. I originally purchased this game about a week after the initial release, after having some doubts as to whether it'd be worth the money. I'm not a

Oh, and this is gonna be long. Deal with it.

I originally purchased this game about a week after the initial release, after having some doubts as to whether it'd be worth the money. I'm not a tight-lipped person, by any means, but I wanted some off-hand opinions from people first. Aside from some major technical issues on the first day, which I can chalk up to server overloads, I'd heard mostly good words from my friends.

So, I figured I'd buy it. And I did. $20 well spent, in my opinion.

My first impression was kind of soured by getting spawn-killed by another player with a flashlight about 10 seconds after spawning. That I'm gonna chalk up to misfortune, because to date, it has not happened again. It IS possible to be killed by zombies upon spawning in the game world, but that happens as a result of poor player planning 90% of the time (read: logging out in a dangerous spot).

Starting off alone, I began playing with the lessons learned from the players on the forums; I didn't want to go in willy-nilly. Once you figure out that you have to aim for the head in order to do damage to zombies, you get a certain feeling of power over the game's PvE elements. As a result of one of the most recent updates, zombies have more or less doubled or tripled in number. You learn that stealth is the way to go, that you have to watch how much noise you make, that having a team by your side is near mandatory if you don't want to see the "You have died. Killed by zombies." screen too often. Don't get me wrong, it's going to happen. A lot.

Zombie Apocalypse + Trigger Happy Players + Unrestricted PvP = Many, many deaths = Losing your hard-earned loot

Many players are not trustworthy, and often the game devolves into a Shoot-On-Sight affair with other players as a result. This causes problems, because inevitably, defending yourself from 'Neutral' players will lead to you being branded a bandit. This isn't the game's fault; it's a result of players being given free reign and consequently going on rampages. I knew about it, and I went in with a 'Don't Shoot First' policy. For the most part, it hasn't worked, but on the few occasions where it has, when players begin to work together, the game truly shines.

Solo gamers are essentially punished; it is entirely possible to play on your own, but the game is infinitely easier when playing in a group. Getting surrounded by 10+ zombies without a gun while you're in a competent group isn't necessarily a death trap in a group. Taking on firefights as a team, through out-of-game VOIP (ingame VOIP does not exist as of yet, but it's apparently a coming feature), is a rewarding experience (well, if you win), and it makes the otherwise aggravating PvP element engaging and quite enjoyable.

The game is a bit glitchy, I will admit. Fall damage is a bit twitchy; sometimes going down a small slope will result in fall damage. The server is prone to kicking you out, though that might just be my connection failing miserably. The game engine has generally improved as time has progressed, however.

Please note: The game engine has seen significant optimization since the 31st of October, and it plays smooth enough for me now. I've been running the game on Lowest settings, on a 6-year-old iMac running WinXP, and I get between 5-20 FPS depending on the situation. I expect most players would be playing on comparatively better machines, so you'll be able to play on Normal/High/Ultra settings with ease.

Personally, I can't say much for the graphics. Playing on Lowest, I'm not really getting the full picture. But the current game map of Colorado is competently done. The place looks appropriately bushy, with okay-ish textured grass, mountains and terrain. The buildings aren't spectacular, but they look appropriately worn down and help to immerse you into the game. Minor graphical issues, such as Third Person and First Person views having different gun models for the same weapon, pop up occasionally, but I can understand that not being a priority for the game developers.

Sound wise, I'm not a big fan. The music is annoying, so I just turned it off. Ingame noises, such as the moans of zombies and firing of weapons, do the job of getting the point across. Annoyingly, the game randomly throws loud noises at you. I guess it succeeds in scaring the pants off you, but it's a cheap tactic. In regards to hackers, I've only ever had to deal with them a couple of times. I guess it's hit and miss, but they do seem to have generally disappeared.

Don't believe all the media attention and haters. Go play the game and formulate your own opinions.

To summarize: Go in with an open mind and a few friends. You'll love it.
  16. Dec 20, 2012
    This is one of the worst games off all time. War Z is a zombie game where zombies are irrelevant, the real dangers are the players, the zombies are just there to look pretty and make people think it's a zombie mmo. This was expected from the man behind Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, another game with no goal, just a pile of glitches. Sergey Titov and his community managers also provideThis is one of the worst games off all time. War Z is a zombie game where zombies are irrelevant, the real dangers are the players, the zombies are just there to look pretty and make people think it's a zombie mmo. This was expected from the man behind Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, another game with no goal, just a pile of glitches. Sergey Titov and his community managers also provide one of the worst customer service experiences, abusing of their power, banning for no reason or for making negative comments about the game itself. Expand
  17. Dec 20, 2012
    *SPOILER* It sucks

This project has been condemned to failure by the ego's behind Hammerpoint and Sergey Titov himself. It'll be interesting to see what happens when AMC chimes in with it's lawyers concerning the blatant copyright infringement and FX about the American Horror Story theme music plagiarism. I've never seen a company or product self destruct in such a spectacular
    *SPOILER* It sucks

I've never seen a company or product self destruct in such a spectacular fashion before. This story gets more and more amazing as the seconds tick by.
  18. Dec 20, 2012
    1st of all, I want to say that I'm a happy customer, because I received my refund.I bought a Legend package. The game is great, super great for me at first look. Comparing to DayZ, this game is much less clumsy and easier to play. However, constant lag spike and crash lead to numerous deaths. I was frustrated and ask for a refund on the forum. This is the part get me mad, my post, every1st of all, I want to say that I'm a happy customer, because I received my refund.I bought a Legend package. The game is great, super great for me at first look. Comparing to DayZ, this game is much less clumsy and easier to play. However, constant lag spike and crash lead to numerous deaths. I was frustrated and ask for a refund on the forum. This is the part get me mad, my post, every post of mine talking anything about negative stuffs (refund, bug, lag....) got deleted. Instead cooperate with the customer and work it out, they just delete all the negative post and keep their forum clean and full of unicorns. I got my refund eventually through Paypal. Consider if you want to play, for me I hate a **** customer service. What they are doing when you need them fix things up ? --> Deleting your posts Expand
  19. Dec 21, 2012
    I made an account just to contribute to telling people to stay away from this game, the only positives are by shill accounts created by the makers.

The game is in a pitiful. pathetic state that shouldn't even be allowed to be sold, DayZ was in a better state than this when it was available as a free in beta mod! The creators are lying scammers and the fact that the guy in charge is behind Big Rigs which is another pathetic non functioning laughing stock of a game should be enough reason to slam this company!
  20. Dec 21, 2012
    This game is just awful. It's boring and the team is not good, the map doesn't have the details and the features they said, I played the game for like 1 week and I thought it was very good but I started to don't play it anymore until I got banned for no reason, I never used nothing like cheats and other unintentionally programs to benefit myself. And btw, the game has many glitchs andThis game is just awful. It's boring and the team is not good, the map doesn't have the details and the features they said, I played the game for like 1 week and I thought it was very good but I started to don't play it anymore until I got banned for no reason, I never used nothing like cheats and other unintentionally programs to benefit myself. And btw, the game has many glitchs and other bugs, yes it's in Beta but they prefer to make money by adding and changing ridiculous stuff then making our game more playiable. Final answer: Don't waste your money, It is a good idea for a game but this team **** it up. Expand
  21. Dec 21, 2012
    They lied saying it was a Zombie MMO. The quest are still not in the game. Can't play with friends. You buy the game then they nickel and dime you to death in the The WarZ store.
  22. Dec 21, 2012
    Worst. Game. Ever. And arktos "entertainment" wont even explain to their customers why their game is so very **** They just treat them like nothing.
  23. Dec 21, 2012
    This game is 90% War Inc. Battlezone. They also lied and said it was being developed before DayZ, but that has proven to be false. It's a horrible game, boring, and a waste of money. All the developers really want is money.
  24. Dec 22, 2012
    Do not buy this game.
    even ignoring the controversy around this game's developer and steam and ignoring the perma banning of anyone who complains, this game still is a firm zero by itself.
  25. Dec 22, 2012
    This game is completely unplayable, its not even a game, you just pay money to be disappointed, i hope everyone involved in this game burns in hell. The game is unfinished and the developer has lied, cheated and tried to mislead everyone interested in this game. Its a sham, a scam and you should not even look at this game, buy it, or buy anything from this developer ever again.
  26. Dec 22, 2012
    BEWARE, THIS COMPANY IS SCAMMER. They definitely DON'T give you what they're offering (check the steam forums, gamespy, it's pretty much everywhere). And they insult they're community for asking them to be honest. More about the game, it's horrible. Free to Play/Pay to Win items. They just copied their horrible War Inc and added zombies. Crappy textures, crappy animations, crappy map.
  27. Dec 22, 2012
    Simply one of the worst games i have played. Day z does everything better thank this mess.

Awful graphics, tiny map, poor game engine, plus too many other flaws to list (just google this game and you will see)

Do Not Buy. Instead buy arma 2 and enjoy a far superior mod called day z.
  28. Dec 23, 2012
    I originally purchased this game on the release date because a group of friends were all buying into it and were speaking highly of the video footage etc. that had been released.

Ignoring the terrible launch I managed to get in a day later and start playing, I then realized what a terrible mistake I had made, this is honestly one of the worst multiplayer games claiming to be a AAA game I have ever played.

A couple of key issues:

The company is completely unprofessional; swearing and calling people out is common.
    Animations are terrible.
    Graphics aren't anything to write home about.
    Zombies are useless and can be avoided incredibly easy.
    Hacks are readily available for the game.
    Forum moderation is something Hitler would have been proud of.

So after all that I decided I'd request my refund before the game launched (I had played it for a day for exactly 1 hour).

First of all their support is terrible, it took 7 days to get a response completely avoiding my issue and almost begging me to wait until the game goes to beta stage, I refused and persisted for a refund, this is where the contact went dead for 9 days, after which they responded with "You have played the game for x minutes, you are not entitled to a refund". This infuriated me so I jumped on the phone with my bank and explained the issue, within 2 hours I had the money back in the account and guess what? I can still play the game, not that I'd want to.

The amount of lying, cheating and lack of professionalism shown by this company amazes me, in a sector that is growing incredibly each year we do not need these people, people complain saying that the media frenzy has been blown out of proportion. I don't think it has, in fact I think it won't be done until the company has been buried, no-one should be allowed to act in the way that Hammerpoint has.

There are thousands of reviews on this site and each person is entitled to their own opinion but honestly, if anyone happens to read this review, please, save yourself your time and money and avoid the game. I will be happy knowing that maybe someone else will be spared the frustration of dealing with a fraudulent company.
  29. Dec 24, 2012
    This game is a sad attempt to make money off of the success of the popular mod DayZ. Some people might disagree even though they are wrong let them live in their world were War Z is the superior game, I'm sure it is a happy world covered in ignorance. But the real truth about this game is even though it ripped off a game mod that is in Alpha they didn't fix any problems; if anything theyThis game is a sad attempt to make money off of the success of the popular mod DayZ. Some people might disagree even though they are wrong let them live in their world were War Z is the superior game, I'm sure it is a happy world covered in ignorance. But the real truth about this game is even though it ripped off a game mod that is in Alpha they didn't fix any problems; if anything they just expanded on the problems and got rid of some good things of DayZ. For starters they have a horrible business model, pay for the game (that is NOT finished) then make people buy more items with real cash in game that they can later loose if they die so they can buy more items making more money, They clearly do not care about the customer at all and I wouldn't be surprised if they just canceled the game and ran off with the money. Don't get me wrong this game has potential but with the work of the horrible DEVs banning everyone who doesn't like the game and customer support refusing to give people refunds on a game they were told was finished (which is illegal by the way) shows that they only entertain the game until people stop paying attention to it. The only way this game could of been amazing from the start was if they made it free to play and kept the micro transactions, to feed their money hunger, so everybody wins. The company gets their money and customers do not feel like they have been duped into buying a unfinished game due to being free to play. But right now the damage is done and this is game will most likely fail even with the cult following they have. The only thing we can do is sit and wait for after the holidays and see how the company reacts to these haters and lovers of the game. And see if they release any plan for the game and if they will respect the customers for their refunds. If they don't do any of these things I suggest you get out of that game as soon as possible because these business ethics are not one you as a customer should be supporting. Expand
  30. Dec 26, 2012
    By far one of the worst things I've buyed so far... Horrible customer service, some landmark are not accomplished or delayed. Hacking issues despite of the allegations of the "100% failproof anti-cheat system". I don't think this game has 2 years of development as they claim.
  31. Dec 20, 2012

1. Mar 7, 2013
    Its mechanical foundation - like this Foundation Release - crumbles at the lightest touch. [March 2013, p.94]
  2. Feb 22, 2013
    The War Z has about as much value as its crappy in-game melee weaponry and that’s not much at all. At least it doesn’t cost anything to play after you buy it, and the cash shop items are fair enough, so you won’t see people running around with machine guns just because they spent money. If you’re going to give your money to a zombie-survival game, grab ArmA II and a copy of the DayZ mod, or wait for the full retail version of DayZ to arrive on digital store shelves and check that out. Do not buy into The War Z.
  3. Feb 5, 2013
    The War Z might use the same elements that make DayZ an enthralling experience. But it puts them together so halfheartedly that you have to turn away in disbelief.