• Publisher: Cinemax
  • Release Date: Sep 18, 2012
7.9

1. Sep 17, 2012
    Pretty good. I enjoy it. The translation is good with very few mistakes but it's pretty tough to play and wears me out (mainly because I physically write stuff down in order to make sure I don't mess up).
  2. Aug 7, 2013
    This is purely, truly, awesome. And I might add, aggravatingly difficult and 'lostness' inducing... But that's what it's supposed to be. Honestly, even with reading other reviews, I had no idea what kind of dialogue trees I would parachute into. It's definitely not a game for the dyslexic, or the 'lore-lite' inclined. That said, this is the holy grail, nay, the Unicorn of old-school type potion-hauling, 'Oh look I can see that I equipped that!' type gaming.

I will say, you'll personally give this game a minus ten if you can't sit through literal (clocked, four hours of dialogue in the tutorial village) hours of reading... But... The caveat to that statement is that it's incredibly well-written. I don't know these sprites/NPCs. I haven't been able to finish their initial quests... yet... I think I know who they are; what they're like. The game has given me my own tools to think about, much like a great mystery novel. No diablo hack and slash grind here; this is more of a patient, vodka-sipping 'choose-your-own-adventure' book, dressed up in old-school PC gaming nostalgia.

And not part of the review, but just my personal take... I can't wait to unravel it. I'm one of those silly 'play it on maximum difficulty people'. This game does not hold your hand. Everything is a discovery; four hours in, this piece of media is an exercise in 'do it yourself type pain.' My applause to the dev/devs. I love this. In most old-school adventure games (diablo-type), you'll go out, kill some stuff, and return richer than when you started... This... This... is the antithesis.

Also, the lore.. Now, in new franchises, especially fantasy ones, when you hear... new lore... you're like... blah blah... Sword of this and that... Wheel of... The Rings... Yes, Diablo, Mephisto, Ba'al, right... But here... They've done something different. They created a fictional world, much the same as ours was in 1223 AD... But they actually said it... They use real crosses in the cathedrals, and the antagonist of the game is Satan. This adds something special, real, and bold to the presentation. It actually brings the question to the table of, 'why haven't we seen this before?'... There's enough lore-distortion here, with it's own mythology, to make the game in such away that someone didn't copy the book of revelation in a cheap way to make a buck, but somehow, the game is still able to encompass modern day religious thought in a way that you can plausibly identify with it. Gravity, evil, goodness... They didn't duck any social convention here... And this world seems more real, and... well... seriously more funnerer, and gooderer with it. And you can be very, very good, or, at this point, I'm assuming, very, very evil. The steam description made mention of running an inquisition, complete with racking, flaying, burning, and the drinking of boiling water, for heretics. As of yet, I've seen none of that. When I find a guilty heretic, I might actually look forward to some righteous justice.

One last thing; I'm sure this can develop in many different ways. This title is in no way 'on the rails'. You have the freedom to interact with NPCs as you see fit. I've already totally closed off avenues with certain NPCs, while opening up new paths with others. In the age we live in, we've become accustomed to exploring every dialogue option you can have with NPCs (Skyrim though I absolutely love it.. it's a completionist affair don't lie, you have a treasure room in your house too.) That's not the case here; you get one chance. You say what you're going to say, and it stands. You simply cannot speak to the same character again and gloss it over.

Finally, they've given us a game where you can make unique decisions, and burn bridges to the ground. Can't wait to get deeper into this. My four-hour review 19 out of ten, for independent, thoughtful, nerd-dream fulfilling awesomeness.
  3. Aug 8, 2013
    Inquisitor is a painfully old-school RPG with a ton of text to read (that's a good thing) and no hand holding whatsoever (again it's a good thing).
    Inquisitor's only flaw is the combat which relies too much on stamina (the Priest might have an easier time), aside from that the story is interesting and well written, the graphics are well done and fit the game perfectly and the soundtrack
    is amazing.
    If you're a fan of old-school RPGs and have a lot of time on your hands then Inquisitor is definitely worth a try.
  4. Aug 30, 2013
    This is DEFINITELY not a game for casuals or younger gamers. If you think playing an "RPG" means watching lots of cinematics and pressing X to win, then this game is not for you. For true oldschool isometric RPG fans, this is game is a must.
  5. Sep 4, 2013
    I bought this for 2$ when on sale: I'd gladly pay more then ten times that today.

The game has some flaws, combat is somewhat one where it goes to fast for a lot of the depth to be used like some spells and resistances. It's just more effective to buff you and your allies with more damage, cast damage spells or just downright bash the enemy whilst massing pots than to use every kind of
    spell (like you sometimes would have to in Baldurs Gate).
    However this is not always a bad thing since combat can become hectic since you are NOT allowed to micro-manage your party apart from some general commands like "Don't attack" or "Attack". Theirs and the enemies positioning requires a big more planning and strategy.

If you've played previous old-school RPG's I highly recommend this to you, it's amazing on so many levels and if you've ever wanted to roleplay in a dark, grim "Conan the barbarian" or "Berzerk" kind of universe then this is it. I really feel like I'm doing "God's work" when my priest is five levels down in the mountain slaughtering devil-worshiping creatures. Or when I scour the cities for heretics, arresting them and burning them on the stake.

The game carries some moral dilemmas as well regarding torture and the ilk, but I'll let you discover that for yourselves.
    Protip: Melee is much better than spells at the start of the game.
  6. Dec 10, 2013
    I doubt people who are used to newer games will like this title, because Inquisitor really sticks to the old-school design rules. No hand holding, a lot of reading, you actually have to think and plan ahead, combat is difficult basically if you are like me and have grown on games like Arcanum, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate then this game is a must have. On the other hand if your idea of a great RPG is a compass that will hand-hold you to your next quest, simplistic dialogs and loads of flashy cinematics, then this game is not for you go play Oblivion or Skyrim instead.

I give this game a pure 10/10.
  7. Jul 12, 2014
    Simply put, this is one of the best RPGs I've played, and I've played many of them. If you like hardcore, old-school, stat-based RPGs with a high degree of challenge and rewarding gameplay, buy this game now!

It has wonderful exploration ala Baldur's Gate, with many exciting things to find. TONS of text-based dialog, which is well-written and a joy to explore, challenging combat that
    will require some tactics and even luck to beat, a great loot system and the story is amazing and unique. The atmosphere is also top notch and you really feel like you are exploring a world where heretics are loose on the land and bringing damnation and evil to all. It's really creepy, in a good way.

Don't let the hardcore, old-school labels scare you off, though. Progressing in the game is not that difficult, you just have to figure out where to go next on your own. If you wander into the wrong part of a map, you can be obliterated. Likewise, if you try to tackle certain encounters and enemies too early, you'll surely die. You have to actually explore and won't be guided around by a magical compass with enemies that level-scale to you. No, you WILL die until you figure out the proper route to take. Once you figure out the proper route, the difficulty is not that bad. Just load up on potions and find some tough companions to take along with you and you should be fine.

All in all, if you're still reading this, I would highly recommend this game. If you're a fan of creepy and believable atmospheres, rewarding gameplay and wonderful exploration and narrative, this game is for you. Have fun torturing those heretics! :)
  8. Oct 16, 2013
    Inquisitor is a excellent game but I must warn you, if you are not a hardcore rpg gamer, you won’t find it very attractive, the game recreates the feeling of the golden age of rpg games.
    The music is well created, maybe one of the strong points of the game, the story and the investigation stuff are very nice and helps to create a unique style of game, for those who prefer modern
    graphics, slashing action and that Kill Bill kind of stuff, stay away from the game but if you like rpg games such as Never winter nights and Ancient Evil that's your game! Expand
  9. Jun 12, 2014
    A much better game than the usual super hyped one like Elder Scrolls Skyrim or Neverwinter nights to be closer to the genre.

People are just superficial and think graphics are all what it takes to make a game. This one proves the contrary. It is tough, especially as a thief, but the game is good. An excellent story, but be careful to whom you talk to and what you say to people, it might
    get you into trouble! I like their approach on the dialog choices and the changes that it can do in the game.

Good job! Hope you keep the game alive with additional content or an expansion.
  10. Jul 11, 2014
    The game is very hardcore, i would NOT recommend to the casual gamer. The game is very unforgiving, but has a very complex and interesting story-line. The people who have alot patience and love for rpg's will sink their teeth right into this splendid game. The game is not for everyone. I've only played 11 hours, and i've barely scratched the surface.
  11. Sep 16, 2014
    This game is AWESOME !! This is really nice hard-core rpg (Diablo-like). Probably the best part of this game is storytelling and music. Dialogues are perfectly made with a lot of non-linear parts. This game has probably the biggest amount of dialogues I have ever seen. There are also tons of side quests. Main story is very interesting with some nice twists to it.
    Definitely buy this game!!

It’s pretty obvious, Inquisitor is not a game for everybody. The hardcore mechanics, the increased difficulty curve, the old-school aesthetics, will undoubtedly irritate those accustomed to playing only polished and streamlined action-RPGs like Skyrim. [November 2012]
  2. Oct 28, 2012
    Difficult, ucompromising and obtuse, Inquisition will appeal to fans of the hardest of hardcore old-school RPGs. [Nov 2012, p.84]
  3. Oct 11, 2012
    The main character of Inquisitor is quite creative when it comes to torturing heretics. You can rack people, make them drink boiling water, or put them into the iron maiden… But the game itself is an even worse torture – not everyone can suffer through 100 hours being bored and annoyed at the same time. Inquisitor is not a hardcore RPG; it just hates the player.