7.2

1. Jul 28, 2012
    On a PC you get so much better visuals, the better controls and overall more value for your money in this interesting game-creation. I loved every minute of it.
  2. Jul 31, 2013
    I loved the gameplay, the graphics, the puzzles, the bossfights. Man, this game extremely relaxing, chill and fun to play at the same time Just dip into the sofa, grab your controller (it multiplies the chill factor of the game) and enjoy.
  3. Jun 22, 2016
    Now in many Metroidvanias, the power of flight is often held away from the player until the endgame, as with the genre's two instigators. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet says ♥♥♥♥ that, you're a flying saucer, now fly around and shoot things. What follows is an incredibly stylish adventure through the dark corridors of the namesake world, where your lone alien must battle horrible tenticledNow in many Metroidvanias, the power of flight is often held away from the player until the endgame, as with the genre's two instigators. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet says ♥♥♥♥ that, you're a flying saucer, now fly around and shoot things. What follows is an incredibly stylish adventure through the dark corridors of the namesake world, where your lone alien must battle horrible tenticled monstrosities and locate useful tools to open new paths, in typical genre fashion. The overall length is noticbly short, especially for a Metroidvania, but it it's a solid experience the whole way through. Combat is not particularly challenging, and although you can take only a few hits, checkpoints are frequent. The puzzles are also not overly challenging, when compared to, say, Guacamelee, and the game lacks the insane shinespark-style secrets that a game like Metroid: Zero Mission has- overall I might term ITSP a "Metroidvania-lite", perhaps unsurprising given its origins as an Xbox Live Arcade game (I had a similar experince with a game called Shadow Complex, which I managed to 100% the first time I played it, without using a guide). The game exploits its physics engine wherever possible, giving you a crane-game claw to manipulate objects and enemies, and things like strong winds and underwater currents, map-orientation-changing rotating rooms, and laser-reflection puzzles. There are even segments where you must guide a rocket through a narrow, zig-zagging tunnel to hit an otherwise out-of-reach switch. The tools are varied and fun to use, though at least one, the shield, isn't actually necessary to complete the game. It also has some excellent, screen-filling bosses, which as per standard, test your ability to use a recently-acquired powerup. There are a handful of secret areas to find, which reward the player with concept art and short cutscenes that show the origins of the shadow creatures. I haven't tried the multiplayer modes, though, so I can't speak for them, but I enjoyed the singeplayer enough that I completed the other like, 7/8ths of the game in one sitting. This game's been out a while already, so if you haven't given it a try and you love games for the sake of fun and artistic value, you've been missing out. But if you're a serious tryhard, do yourself a favor and... don't be. Expand

1. PC Gamer
    Jun 19, 2012
    It isn't a challenge or an epic, but for an arty game that's worthy of a seat next to Limbo, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet knows how to give you a good time without taking very much of it. [Aug 2012, p.69]
  2. May 30, 2012
    A pure distillation of old-school gameplay, decanted into a laser-cut crystal goblet of 21st Century awesome. [June 2012, p.66]
  3. Apr 26, 2012
    This game still is very unique – at least stylistically. And on the PC you get the better visuals, the better controls and overall more value for your money in this intersting MetroidVania variation.