6.9

1. Jul 25, 2012
    Love it! The different weapons are great and riding a wolf is pretty bad ass.. And to know one guy did both the code AND the fantastic art is inspiring.
  2. Jun 8, 2013
    I got it from the last humble bundle and It has been a very nice surprise for me. It's a mix between metal slug and contra franchises.
    Nice visuals and physics, the game is smooth and easy to play, but not easy to complete!
    Bosses will make you sweat hard :D
    Love it and totally recommended!
  3. Oct 31, 2012
    OVERVIEW: Intrusion 2 is a 2D side-view run-and-gun shooter action game with 360 degree aiming and 2D physics.

STORY: (n/a /10) There are no cutscenes or text boxes, it's all just gameplay. The unnamed dude just crash-lands and immediately starts killing everything that moves while walking to the right. GRAPHICS: (9/10) The graphics at first blush appear to be the standard "retro"

STORY: (n/a /10)

GRAPHICS: (9/10)
    The graphics at first blush appear to be the standard "retro" 16-bit stuff all indie developers are required by law to use, but what elevates this game's look above that is the 2D physics. Although simpler than the 3D ragdolls found in most FPS shooters, all of the enemies (and you when you die) ragdoll on death. The enemies also never dissapear, so the jetpack guys you kill will keep flying around, dead, until they trap themselves somewhere. Each level is littered with objects that react properly to gunfire and weight, and your character even has a long scarf explicitly to show off the cloth physics. One of the most impressive things about the look of the game is the way some of the crazier enemies move, like how wolf legs adjust and shift to sit on the terrain they stand on, or the way the robot (?)dog sub-bosses will wheel around their legs to claw their way forward. The larger enemies are also good about their weak point flashing when you hit it so you know you're doing damage.

CONTROL: (8/10)
    With a mouse and keyboard, you have WASD movement and free-reign 360-degree mouse aiming. I do not recommend this setup, simply because it will over-focus your attention on proper aim, when you should be doing more spray-and-pray while focusing on jumping and ducking to avoid enemy fire.
    With an Xbox 360 controller plugged in, the game controls beautifully, with the left joystick (or D-pad) moving and the right joystick aiming in 360 degrees. My major gripe with the control scheme is that jumping is mapped to both Up on the joystick and to the A button, but since you have to hold down the right trigger to fire, it's too awkward to fire with your right index finger and control both joysticks AND press another button with your right hand. A better solution would have been to map jumping to the left shoulder bumper so you could keep your left thumb on the movement joystick and still click jump. The way it is now, to both dodge and shoot back you need to get used to jumping by pressing Up, which works, but is slightly more awkward. Additionally, a melee attack button might have been nice for close range. That said, the game controlled fine, and all deaths were my own fault.
    No other joystick type is supported, from what I can tell (unless you use third-party utilities).

GAMEPLAY: (10/10)
    Basically you move right and shoot at everything, then when you get a harder enemy you have to move backward to keep dodging fire. There are checkpoints and (in Normal mode) you can take some hits before you die, so while you have to be careful with each encounter, the game isn't unreasonably challenging.
    It's a simple concept, but the pervasiveness of the 2D physics changes everything. You can grab onto ropes or bound from bouncy tree limbs to jump to the next part. The larger enemies will grab and throw smaller objects at you. You can sometimes roll heavier boulders down at enemies. You can climb on top of the flying sub-bosses. You can use small objects to block incoming fire, or trap the larger enemies in between objects inside certain crates, or temporarily reflect back homing missiles by shooting at them. One boss even grabs the room you're in and rolls it around, trying to use the shifting gravity to crush you in between the room's heavier crates. It's almost hard to go back to something as simple as Metal Slug after playing Intrusion 2, because this (physics) is that next step 2D shooters have been needing for awhile.
    Weapons include machine guns, a grenade launcher, and a shoot-through-walls railgun laser. The grenade launcher is kind of annoying in that at close range you do splashback damage to yourself, and you autoswitch weapons when you run out, so at one section I purposefully depleted my grenade ammo because it was more trouble than it was worth against a sub-boss.
    The vehicles vary things nicely. There's a wolf (better jumping and a melee bite) and three different types of mechs (rocket-launching, sword-swinging and grapple-hook). The grapple-hook mech is the most fun because you can swing-pull yourself to higher ledges and grab and throw enemies or objects. You end up trying to keep your vehicles alive as long as possible because they're so fun. Each of the vehicles is also a boss type. The bosses themselves are also amazing, multi-stage, and use physics as part of their challenge.

GAME PLAYTHROUGH LENGTH: 2-3 hours.
    The game is short and there's no multiplayer at all (co-operative would have been awesome). If it had been a full-priced $60 game it would have been fair to ask for 6-8 hours, but at $10 it's well worth it. If you still doubt that, try the free demo on Steam.
  4. Feb 19, 2013
    My experience with Intrusion 2 was a very good one. It's like Metal Slug with physics: you can roll huge snowballs and drop boulders on enemies. You can ride wolves and jump in mechs with grappling claws and swords. Sounds awesome? It is. Each level and boss battle is intense, unique, and challenging. There's also some minor puzzles, which provides a refreshing challenge beyond justMy experience with Intrusion 2 was a very good one. It's like Metal Slug with physics: you can roll huge snowballs and drop boulders on enemies. You can ride wolves and jump in mechs with grappling claws and swords. Sounds awesome? It is. Each level and boss battle is intense, unique, and challenging. There's also some minor puzzles, which provides a refreshing challenge beyond just shooting people and wreaking havoc (which doesn't get old easily).

It's a beautiful game with a lot of high-quality 16-bit pixel art. It's surprising and inspiring that one person (Aleksey Abramenko) could produce this kind of game by himself. It's a shame that the game is rather short, but understandable, considering the developer team size of 1.
  5. Jun 9, 2013
    Let's get one thing out of the way, I HATE games like this, I had to stop playing them to save money for smashed keyboards. That being said, this game is amazing. I don't know what it is that makes this so different from the others like it, but I played it on a recommendation and kept playing it. Even dying seemed justified, not like the game is trying to kill you. Awesome game.
  6. Nov 28, 2012
    Love this game, has an oldschool feel with new game elements like physics. Not overly difficult, but not too easy. Even more impressive knowing that this game was made by only one person...
    A lot of fun to play.
  7. Sep 30, 2012
    This game is really fantastic and the multistage boss fights are so thrilling that i cant remember when i have played such a great side scrolling plat-former! I played Contra, i played probotector , but with the physics in Intrusion 2 (which are causing hilarious moments when a big explosion smashes a container onto the enemy soldier... or yourself... ) it brings the genre on a whole newThis game is really fantastic and the multistage boss fights are so thrilling that i cant remember when i have played such a great side scrolling plat-former! I played Contra, i played probotector , but with the physics in Intrusion 2 (which are causing hilarious moments when a big explosion smashes a container onto the enemy soldier... or yourself... ) it brings the genre on a whole new incredible level. The fights are so dynamic and well conceived. But one thing made me sad: That i rode into the night-sky after boss 3... I wished for at least 2 more bosses. I hope the next game will be a little bit longer.
    For the weaponry: I am quite pleased, every weapon has its purpose, pros and cons.
    The metal-soundtrack is also really kick ass but could use some more variations in bigger levels.
    I hope there will be a intrusion 3 and that mister Abramenko finds a way to make it even more epic ( 5 bosses , maybe? =).
  8. Jul 18, 2013
    Flaws: very short, has some cheap things such as the IN text graphic stolen from Metal Slug and some sound effect from Soldat or at least from the same free sound library I assume. Those can easily be discarded considering the game was made by one person. Pros: everything else. And those benefit from the fact that it was made by just one person. Badass is the only way to describe thisFlaws: very short, has some cheap things such as the IN text graphic stolen from Metal Slug and some sound effect from Soldat or at least from the same free sound library I assume. Those can easily be discarded considering the game was made by one person. Pros: everything else. And those benefit from the fact that it was made by just one person. Badass is the only way to describe this game, it is genuinely fun. Take Metal Slug, give it some rock tunes, add mouse aiming, add physics and all the ways to exploit it, add Metal Gear Solid-esque weird bosses, and there you have it. The art is very good, with some slightly worse things that are totally redeemed by the final boss. It's really well designed too in its little things: despite the omnipresent physics engine you never get stuck, every weapon has its own purpose and I never found myself, unlike in the other games although I guess it's a thing of mine, to steamroll everything with one weapon and saving ammo of the "nuking" ones, also the game keeps showing you things such as soldiers riding wolves, mechas, mechas with swords, mechas that grab items and shoot them, and then it lets you use those because why the hell not. Expand
  9. Jun 7, 2013
    I found this as a fantastic shoot-them-up, I grabbed it in a recent Humble Bundle, never really heard of it before, and when I tried it, it was absolutely fantastic! It's a bit insane and crazy, and riding a wolf the size of a dragon is insane, and this was all created by a single person over the course of three years! This is well worth the money and will challenge you by bringing backI found this as a fantastic shoot-them-up, I grabbed it in a recent Humble Bundle, never really heard of it before, and when I tried it, it was absolutely fantastic! It's a bit insane and crazy, and riding a wolf the size of a dragon is insane, and this was all created by a single person over the course of three years! This is well worth the money and will challenge you by bringing back good bosses to gaming! All the bosses are fair, every move is dodge-able and it just matters on how good you are on if you get hit or not. They're the type of bosses that you have to find the singular weakness in each of their attack moves and then exploit it. I love a frustration boss like that, they're a lot funner than just an enemy just like all the ones you have been fighting just with more health.

Overall, it is amazing, and very well worth your money.
  10. Aug 19, 2013
    The game is just wonderful it is short, but it's filled with action and is NOT repetative. Also, did you know that it was made by only one guy? Awesome game 9/10
  11. Sep 5, 2013
    I dont understand what's with the negative reviews here.
    The controls are in the style of Abuse but the jumps are a bit floaty, which is no big deal because its mostly a shooter and not a platformer.
    The physics DO get a lil bit in the way and there is one puzzle that can take a couple minute to deal with because some robot's body gets in the way. That's it, 2 minutes. For the rest
    I dont understand what's with the negative reviews here.

For the rest This is an awesome metal slug abuse like. The best I have seen in years.
    There is not many boss battles but hear me: those are possibly the best boss battles I have ever played in a game of this genre. The last boss is AMAZINGLY EPIC.

The game is pretty short, but also its pretty cheap.

1. Sep 19, 2012
    A preposterous pleasure. [Oct 2012, p.97]
  2. Aug 20, 2012
    Intrusion 2 is an addictive run 'n' gun, strong in the genre's distinctive elements and with a lot of variety.
  3. Aug 11, 2012
    Fast paced action, gargantuan bosses and a chaotic physics make for a run'n'gun fresh game and packed with solid ideas.