6.8

1. Jan 7, 2013
    In short: You can avoid this game and your life won't be lacking. The only reason I can see to play this game would be if you REALLY love Gears of War and can't wait for the next installment to be released. Even then, I imagine you'd be happier replaying any of the GoW games. Inversion starts off with an intriguing premise, the idea of gravity affect tools, and then goes almost nowhereIn short: You can avoid this game and your life won't be lacking. The only reason I can see to play this game would be if you REALLY love Gears of War and can't wait for the next installment to be released. Even then, I imagine you'd be happier replaying any of the GoW games. Inversion starts off with an intriguing premise, the idea of gravity affect tools, and then goes almost nowhere with it. Characters are 1 dimensional. Level design is poor. AI partner is a liability. Application of gravity tool fluctuates between superfluous and inconvenient. Cut-scenes ceaselessly interrupt gameplay. Checkpoints are usually inconvenient (i.e. - before a cut-scene, not after). Lack of shoulder aim switching makes combat tedious. Enemy types are very limited and poorly designed boss types are used repeatedly, sometimes in rapid succession. I did not play coop, which may have made the experience more enjoyable, but having played 4/5 of the game single player, I can't ask another person to play this game with a clear conscience. Expand
  2. Sep 17, 2013
    [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author]
  3. Sep 5, 2014
    Okay this is one of those awkward moments that I don't really know what to write because there is just too much wrong with this game. I have tried to play this many times and still there seems to be no depth in the story, everything is just so cliché and characters are so shallow. Even the storytelling is bad. There is too much cut scenes too much loading screens and the feeling is soOkay this is one of those awkward moments that I don't really know what to write because there is just too much wrong with this game. I have tried to play this many times and still there seems to be no depth in the story, everything is just so cliché and characters are so shallow. Even the storytelling is bad. There is too much cut scenes too much loading screens and the feeling is so arcade. The mini bosses are just annoyances and do not take the story forward. I don't know... I expected much more. Plus the game is full of bugs, for example you can sometimes walk through objects and on certain settings the game keeps crashing if your partner dies or you complete a level too fast. This can be very annoying on long run because you have to start from previous checkpoint, which usually means that you have to beat the same mini boss again and again. The game feels and handles like a poor console port so I would not recommend playing it with mouse and keyboard, do yourself a favor and get Xbox 360 controller or similar to really play this game. Don't get me wrong, I love using my Xbox 360 controller, but that's only when playing games on my console not on the computer and that’s only when games are designed to be played on console without a PC release. I have been playing console and PC games since the Nintendo era and I have seen many games like over the years but they were much better and more polished, particularly on PS1 or PS2 back in the day. I don't know what went on in the development on this one but this game feels like a cheap knockoff and a copycat of Gears of War franchise. My advice to you is, do not buy this game, get Gears of War instead or something similar if you like the genre. Don’t make the same mistake I did by paying for this unfinished unpolished poor excuse of a game. Expand

The game that wanted to be king but was afraid of making the right decisions – sometimes when you copy successful concepts from others and combine them with your own fresh ideas you just waste the potential. [Sept 2012]
  2. Sep 10, 2012
    Inversion is a heavily linear by-the-numbers cover shooter that fails to make the most of its few high points. [Nov 2012, p.72]
  3. Aug 31, 2012
    The potential for something strong was here- but the mediocre level design and the repetition of the mechanics, hold Inversion back from 'diamond' status. That's not to say that it's a bad game: the 9 or 10 hours of gameplay are fun, but only that… there's not enough thrill and excitement to hold you from other games. [September 2012]