6.5

1. Feb 26, 2014
    I do not know if it is good or bad because this game has no french translation ! we are not all brainless players, so why was not entitled to a translation ? a little effort for your next game please....
  2. Jan 2, 2014
    Can't seem to figure out how to delete my review. Wrote a bad joke of one during the gog sale where Keane stalled the show. Now I'm hopeful that I've enough text marks.

I *guess* the game could be an 8. Maybe.
  3. Nov 13, 2013
    Great game. Even though I'm not usually a fan of point and clicks, I loved every second of this game. Charming visuals, and very neat puzzles that challenge your mind in various ways. Worth the price tag, whatever it may be.
  4. Oct 26, 2013
    Nice and funny game with awkward controls; single clicks don't often register, the fixed camera and jumping is sometimes annoying. The dialogs and jokes are okay but the audio quality is strange (a slightly noisy). The 3D world is beautiful, but often hides items that should be picked up. There is a highlight option for these items, but I like the hotspot mechanics of other games more. There are the 3-5 seconds before an item is picked up or a character is talked to, so took me 10 hours for the first run and 3 hours on the second speed run. Crashed a few times, mostly when I skipped a cutscene. The puzzles are relatively easy, I got stuck usually by not noticing an item. Expand
  5. Jun 28, 2013
    This game is a giggle-fest mixed with a dogeared copy of King Solomon's Mines.

Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within is the sequel to the original, though I did not play the original so I'm evaluating it on it's face. The game is a 3D action adventure/point-and-click puzzle game. You play the titular role and combine forces with several companions most notable of which is the adventurous,
    blue-eyed femme Amanda. The plot of the story revolves around Jack's quest to find a) a lost treasure that he learns about from a dying shaman, and b) a path through his own subconscious to becoming a better man who can commit to anything.

Throughout the game, you are confronted by puzzles. While most are interesting yet easy to work out, there are a few times where it takes you a minute to find all the oddly-placed pieces you need. There is also a fast and rudimentary card-based combat mechanic where you have to counter enemy attacks with the proper defense and then counter-attack with your own moves.

Most important are the setting and characters, who are rich and entertaining.

Pros include nice graphics, very funny quips, a nice mix of action and puzzle solving, the use of WASD to move (as opposed to click-to-move), and the ability to alter companion opinions using dialog.

Cons include three bugs that required restart or reload, poor inflection in the voice acting, trouble jumping because of camera skew, and a ridiculous dialog tree that will end the game if you accept money from a bad guy for an object you're going to lose anyway.

While the game at launch is plagued by bugs (so you might want to play after the first patch) and I stand firmly resolute in my condemnation of using flashbulbs to frighten bats, finishing this game is one of my top priorities. The characters are fascinating, the humor is infectious, and the graphics are sweet.

Full video review on my blog and YouTube channel.

1. Oct 30, 2013
    Jack Keane and the Fire Within suffers from all the child's troubles that are thinkable. When you look at its uninteresting storyline, brief dialogues, awkward humour, repetitious minigames, or its wandering camera that is obviously playing against you. Fans of the series are brave enough to give a try this second installment, but the rest of you would be better off without it.
    The developers of Jack Keane 2 wanted to prove at all costs that even adventure games may be "fast & furious". Unfortunately, their game lacks other ingredients preventing to be a high-quality adventure title. [Issue#232]
  3. Aug 26, 2013
    Jake Keane 2 is crude and clumsy, as if the developers did not want to make this game at all, but someone forced them to.