7.5

1. Aug 17, 2011
    It seems to me while a lot of people here enjoy the game, they still often lack the insight of having played shmups for years. Because as somebody who has played dozens of them extensively, I can tell you that Jamestown is not only great but a damn steal!
    In harsh contrast to almost any shmup out there, Jamestown offers numerous bonus features at a price that is also well below almost any
    shmup out there.
    So lacking online multiplayer or not, considering the huge amount of content (while also not looking amateurish) one gets for that ridiculous price, it deserves no less than a perfect rating!
    And for uneducated gamers who complain about it only having a couple of levels: take a look at games like DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou that were released as full price games for consoles or newer arcade PCBs that cost multiple hundreds of dollars!! If you're not into the genre in general and don't see a point in score hunting on the same couple of levels over and over again, that's fine - but don't act like this is expensive when nothing could be farther from the truth.
  2. Dec 26, 2011
    This game is so rad, the alien/spanish alliance vs 1600s settlers with muskets and airships?! I think the king of mormon is somewhere in there too, crazy 1942-style arcade vertical scroller with unique style. Pass me the Salvia, Final Form Games! Gotta get on your level.
  3. Feb 9, 2012
    Damn, first of all I have to say that the sound track for this game is amazing, personally a little costly, but probably worth it. The story line is vivid and unique and the gameplay is very nostalgic as I used to play many games like this on the Sega back in the day. The good thing is, it manages to maintain some degree of overall difficulty that I grew up on when I was a kid. Certainly an interesting title to pick up, especially if you were a fan of the side-scrolling action plane shooters back in the day. Expand
  4. Jan 31, 2012
    Fantastic musical score, extremely satisfying gameplay. The pixel art is also very good. I love this game, and so do my siblings who play it with me on my computer. I love that it supports single-computer play, but I wish they'd add LAN support as well. Charming game.
  5. Oct 3, 2011
    So called "shmups" were never my kind of entertainment. I heard good things about this game, but still i never liked bullet-hell shooters. So even when on sale, I kinda pushed myself to buy it. Mostly from curiosity. I was sure that it cant be so good, it's just hype. I was wrong. It is DAMN good. Jamestown is made perfectly. Visuals, music, story... Marvelous. You've got 4 ships to choose from. Every one requires different strategy, it's fun to master them and pick your favorite. Gameplay? Specially for less experienced players - it constantly pushes you to play higher difficulty levels. It's necessary if You want to unlock all the chapters. At first you can't beat a level on "Normal", after an hour you're making a perfect run on "Difficult". After a couple of hours it's time for "Legendary" and "Divine". I've got to say, I love the idea of such a "shmup school". It really makes you master the game perfectly. There's only 5 levels, but you need to re-play most of them on higher difficulties if you want to clear the game. That's not all - what about 20 challenges? Unlockable Judgement difficulty level? Unlockable Hardcore Mode? Gauntlet Mode? Lot's of fun! Hours of gameplay! Jamestown is my game of the year. Really, screw up all the high-budget productions. All you need is talented indie developers... Such as these responsible for Jamestown. Hail to them! Expand
  6. Jul 10, 2011
    Perfectly pitched, beautifully realised and marvellously silly. Best scrolling shooter I've ever played. Special mention goes to the music. Don't expect a great deal of gaming time here -- the main game isn't very long and my reaction to the challenges was either "yay done it" or "I can't do that one" -- but the time you'll spend will be time well spent!
  7. Sep 13, 2011
    When I first noticed Jamestown I assumed it was developed by Cave or Treasure. Two of the best "Bullet Hell" scrolling shooter developers ever. This isn't the case however. Here we have a pixel perfect shoot em up not created in japan. This game offers four play co-op, blistering difficulty and challenge modes. Four ship types that all bring a unique spin to the game play. You will sink hours trying to perfect each ships play style through multiple difficulties. Great graphics, amazing sound tight game play with controller, keyboard or mouse. Buy this if you love bullet hell shooters! Now! Expand
  8. Jan 18, 2013
    A great old school style shoot-em-up from developers who clearly understand what it is that makes the genre great. A very cool art style along with incredible music give us the setting for five stages of breakneck, intense action. The boss battles are as epic as you would hope for in a great shoot-em-up. On top of the five stages (with five difficulty levels), there are many bonus 'challenge levels' which test your skills in various ways. The difficulty of the game is dialed up throughout, but it's done impressively; it never seems unfair. Some have put this game into the 'bullet hell' sub-genre, but I don't agree with that designation at all. Jamesotwn is just a good, honest, difficult, shoot-em-up! Expand
  9. Dec 31, 2011
    First to address the three most common complaints in other reviews: "The game is too short." There are many bonus levels that become unlocked after a little bit of play. "The story makes no sense." The story is highly ironic and incredibly funny. "There's only one good ship among the 4 choices." Well, one ship in particular is responsible for most high scores, but it's also the hardest to use. If, like me, you have an alternative (bad) play style, then other ships may be better suited for you.

On to the review. This game feels great to play. The controls are tight, the visuals are well done, and the pacing is excellent. I was never a big shoot-em-up gamer, but I can never resist the opportunity to get a cheap, independent game soaked with a thick liquor of irony. This is a game that will make you smile, even as you explode, again.
  10. Mar 2, 2012
    The game is not short. I have spent HOURS trying to pass the game on divine. Its difficulty is there and its even more fun when you have 4 people playing. The difficulty scales with more people. I only passed it on divine the other day and now trying to do it on judgement. It took me about 3 hours to pass the FIRST stage on judgement. If you think you can do it, try it. To get judgement, you have to pass all the stages on divine first. Expand
  11. Nov 2, 2012
    This game is amazing. The soundtrack is great, the game play has little to no bugs, and the graphics are classic. I have only two problems with this game. 1. The story is too short, and there is not enough content in the game.
    2. The game is ridiculously easy for a shoot 'em up, unless you go on judgement difficulty, which is way too difficult. This could just be because I'm a massive fan
    of this genre, so I'm used to playing ones based for more hardcore players. Expand
  12. Dec 26, 2012
    Before I had purchased this game, I did not know I loved shoot-em-ups. The price is great, the gameplay is creative, and the music makes the game feel epic. The difficulty does scale as your near the end of the levels, but if you're anything like me and my friends, you won't be able to put the controller down until you've finished. My only criticisms are that once you are able to beat the game, replays feel quite short. Also, the expansion does not add any additional levels to the game. Otherwise, this game is beautiful and I wish I had paid more than I did. Expand
  13. Aug 14, 2013
    The game, for all of these kids calling it short/expensive/hard, is actually a flawlessly paced top-down bullet hell. Since many of the people writing a review for this game have evidently never played a bullet hell before, they are known for being both hard and, compared to other types of games, short. Now that we're passed the introduction to the genre, here's what sets Jamestown apart: a whole slew of challenge levels, a unique style of combos (vaunt), and above all else, the sheer LACK of pointless BS. Really, though, the challenge levels introduce you to various aspects of the point system in a controlled setting (a point system that you don't even care about if you don't like Bullet hellz), the vaunt system makes for incredibly engaging multiplayer if you and your friends learn to protect each other, and there isn't a single out of place narrator trying to shove complicated mechanics down your gullet. I rate very few games as highly as I rate Jamestown, but if you like Tohou or Exceed, you really have to pick this game up. Expand
  14. Mar 8, 2014
    Despite the seemingly short gameplay, Jamestown makes up for its replayability, through varying difficulties that help even the newbies to the genre to slowly get up to speed.

What people don't realise is probably the amount of work that this small team has put into its challenge modes and the absolutely amazing choreography of the enemy ships, and uniquely painted terrain of each
    level. The music was also nothing short of fantastic and fitting for the game.

The controls feels just right, and the visual response (when bullets hit an ally or enemy) are spot-on, if you were to compare this game to most shooters out there, there's sometimes the lack of "oomph" in this area. Clearly the creators put a lot of thought and tested a lot of things to get the details right.

Lastly, the game mechanics are simple yet fun. A casual danmaku fan like myself had no difficulty or complaints with it, and heck I introduced this game to all my colleagues (who have rarely or never played shmups before) and all of them loved it. For what it's worth, you won't be disappointed with this game, if you're looking for hours of fun.
  15. Aug 30, 2014
    I played Ikaruga, R-Type, Gradius, etc... but "Jamestown" is for me the best shoot'em up of all. Not only because it's a lot of fun with pretty 2D pixel art graphics, it's also the well balance difficulty that give a great replay value. The others popular Shmups are usually insanely-killthefunofit-hard. Jamestown is just right.

1. Nov 7, 2011
    Jamestown is an old school hardcore arcade shooter. By its visual approach, its music and its gaming philosophy, it creates an imaginary comeback of the golden age of video arcade games. Its background set in the 17th steampunked century is only strengthening the overall enjoyment drawing young gamers on a peep show at those olden times of video gaming.
    An example of perfect indie shoot'em up – Jamestown brings a combination of excellent stylish visuals and splendid playability. Only pity is that the game lacks an online multiplay option. [Issue#207]
  3. Aug 11, 2011
    Jamestown harkens back to an era when we played games just to get a high score--when beating a game this challenging actually earned you bragging rights. [Oct 2011, p.77]