John Romero's Daikatana PC

4.4

1. Aug 7, 2014
    I never understood why all the world seems to hate Daikatana, because it's one of my favourite FPS experiences that I enjoyed back in the day as well as recently when I went through it again. It's much more variable than the most, it takes you on a journey through time and different locations, it gives you plenty of different weapons for each era and of course the fun sword play withI never understood why all the world seems to hate Daikatana, because it's one of my favourite FPS experiences that I enjoyed back in the day as well as recently when I went through it again. It's much more variable than the most, it takes you on a journey through time and different locations, it gives you plenty of different weapons for each era and of course the fun sword play with Daikatana herself. Maybe too many people were put off by the first act, which is very dark and dirty cyber future with annoying robo-mosquitos and frogs, quite a good way how to scare away the impatient, but amazing way how to start things off in an unpleasant and challenging way to reward the player with true beauty later. But I really enjoyed even the first act, especially the wonderful music. Speaking of music, it's one of the highlight of the entire game, fantastic soundtrack. After electro-industrial of the first act comes great string epicness of the act 2 in Ancient Greece, supported by majestic level design resulting in just amazing, very memorable experience that was the highlight of the entire game. Pity that development of this game obviously went through hell, loosing the data and team members and it couldn't be even more fleshed out, I heard there were plans for the maze with Minotaur and other good stuff that unfortunately never came to life. The 3rd Act again fantastic dark ages in winter and locations infested by plague, another great experience, remembering the Commander Keen or whatever that fish was Easter egg underwater and the final act coming back to oldschool guns to end this epic story. I even enjoyed the multiplayer and I really don't see the reason for all the hate of this game. It's not perfect, but it was and still is an amazing FPS experience for me. 9/10 Expand
  2. May 3, 2013
    Ah, hell how i'm tired of all that "Daikatana is bad" things. Let's see: it has beautiful and catchy music, that will find a place on your player. Level design varies from "interesting" to "just really great" (Ancient Greece levels, for example). Overall epicness, different epochs different enemies and weapons, and funny ones also. And, while it was alive, multiplayer was really fun. IAh, hell how i'm tired of all that "Daikatana is bad" things. Let's see: it has beautiful and catchy music, that will find a place on your player. Level design varies from "interesting" to "just really great" (Ancient Greece levels, for example). Overall epicness, different epochs different enemies and weapons, and funny ones also. And, while it was alive, multiplayer was really fun. I can critic Daikatana only for stupid AI of sidekicks and different bugs and glitches. Well, maybe also for colours of first episode. What am i doing wrong? Hm..maybe coz i played Daikatana first 6 years later than it came out... Expand
  3. Mar 2, 2016
    9/10 but giving it 10 to balance out the blind 1 ratings.

9/10 but giving it 10 to balance out the blind 1 ratings.

I played this game in 2016 and was charmed by the game. On the hardest difficulty, this game manages to entertain and challenge you, both on purpose and not. I loved the AI companions, which were buggy as hell but had overly simple dialogue lines that made you cringe. On couple of occasions they got stuck somewhere and I had to reload a save or do my best to push them out of their position. Yet most of the time I told them to stand and wait at the beginning of each level (there's a keybind for this).

The most enjoyable part of this game is that the content is so vast. Gameplay slightly changed from episode to episode (4 of them exist) and the environment changed with them. Different areas had different environmental dangers, different enemies, different weapons, and different power-ups/items. The mechanics of shooting were fun, with some guns with reflective projectiles to some that allow you to jump higher if you aim beneath your feet. The Daikatana sword itself had 5 different levels, making it stronger the more things you kill with it. There are character levels and choice of which stats you level up which influence your gameplay. You could end up with a fast character early in the game but one that has to shoot half of his arsenal before he kills anyone.

Graphics, though "outdated" are perfect for this game giving it its charm of a truly oldschool game.
    If you’re looking for an oldschool shooter experience and know your way around with common game bugs, give this game a try. It’s really ambitious for its time but still manages to be somewhat fun, if you’re persistent.
  4. Nov 30, 2014
    I actually like this game. It's challenging but fair. And while it has some minor technical problems like the V-Sync has to be disabled. If you don't disable V-Sync certain things like e.g. loading screen breaks and will cause tick-tick-tick bug. You also should install community made patch 1.3 for wide screen resolution support.

Visually Daikatana is probably one of the better looking

Visually Daikatana is probably one of the better looking Quake 2 engine based games out there. It's water colour style looks nice. The single-player has issues mainly in the writing but after a slow start the game really becomes a fast game that requires some actual skill. Level design varies from bad to fantastic but mostly is just better than average.

Music and sound in Daikatana is pretty good but not exceptional. Music if fun to listen to and it's a very good mix of electro rock and classical music with some more heavy metal influences.

Gameplay in Daikatana is fun but the sidekicks are tricky to control at times but don't in-general cause huge issues after you've learned how to work together with them. If you ignore the sidekicks the game becomes very hideous and it's going against the flow of the game.

Daikatana as a game is not actually a one single FPS but four different smaller FPS games put together. It has astonishing amount of variety and content for a game of its time. It has four very different episodes, 64 different monsters, loads of funny gimmicky weapons, and fairly interesting theme.

There are no critic reviews yet.