7.3

1. DarrilBlane
    Mar 27, 2009
    i stumbled across this game again when steam put it up for sale and i was shocked at the reviews for it, i thought there must of been some sort of mistake. When i first played this game on the Xbox i loved it. So don't listen to the reviews please give it a chance first
  2. RichardM.
    Jan 30, 2004
    Firstly I gotta say I haven't finished this yet so this is a mid-play review... But I'm absolutely loving it. The world of the comic is recreated brilliantly and the game is full of the dark humour you'd expect from a Judge Dredd title. Is my review tainted by the fact I grew up reading 2000AD comics? Probably.. but thats the point of a licensed game.
  3. MattB.
    Sep 25, 2006
    If you're a fan of Judge Dredd then check this game out, if you don't know the comics then it'll just be another middle of the road FPS to you.
  4. PaulX.
    Feb 5, 2004
    Just started with this game. I really don't see why the harsh critic given to this game. Frankly, I hate FPS games except for a few no nonsense fun like Serious Sam series. Judge Dredd almost fill this void with it's straight foward gameplay mechanic..and i love that blue arrow!! The last thing i want is to wander aimlessly dungeons after dungeons just so that it can be defined Just started with this game. I really don't see why the harsh critic given to this game. Frankly, I hate FPS games except for a few no nonsense fun like Serious Sam series. Judge Dredd almost fill this void with it's straight foward gameplay mechanic..and i love that blue arrow!! The last thing i want is to wander aimlessly dungeons after dungeons just so that it can be defined as "open ended". I just want to shoot monsters with a big gun!!! And this game does it pretty well. Also, the enemies AI are quite nice especially the vampires since they jumps about and don't sit around like a duck for you to shoot. Me, i'll take this over most FPS including Halo, COD etc etc. Expand
  5. JasonS.
    Dec 16, 2006
    Good, clean, ultra-violent, trashy fun. The innovations in the law enforcement aspect are largely inconsequential. Straightforward and simple running and gunning is the order of the day and the game is all the better for it. Megacity One is a beautiful, ugly world, a really lovely place to kill things in. Judge Dredd comes across as a pretty nasty guy. That bothered me at first. Oh well, Good, clean, ultra-violent, trashy fun. The innovations in the law enforcement aspect are largely inconsequential. Straightforward and simple running and gunning is the order of the day and the game is all the better for it. Megacity One is a beautiful, ugly world, a really lovely place to kill things in. Judge Dredd comes across as a pretty nasty guy. That bothered me at first. Oh well, I was having great fun busting zombie heads. Expand
  6. MartR.
    May 8, 2004
    Dredd style gains the game two points, the other point is out of charity. Look elsewhere.
  7. KyleD
    Jun 5, 2009
    I was really disappointed in this game. It had so much potential. The arresting system is fun for a few levels, but it just gets repetitive very quickly.

I read the Judge Dredd series and i just don't think it's good enough to be a Dredd game...

I think for the next game, make it a 3rd person free roaming game. I would LOVE to explore Mega City 1.
  8. Jamie
    Mar 11, 2005
    Couldnt even get through the tutorial, one of the worst of the worst.
  9. Apr 6, 2015
    A pretty fun shooter. Don't expect a masterpiece, but it's nowhere near as bad as critics claim it to be. Most gunfights are quite fast paced and satisfying, and that's what FPS games are all about. The control and handling is smooth, and most weapons are very fun to use. Graphics might've aged by now, but they do a decent enough of a job to make a believable sci-fi setting and to make youA pretty fun shooter. Don't expect a masterpiece, but it's nowhere near as bad as critics claim it to be. Most gunfights are quite fast paced and satisfying, and that's what FPS games are all about. The control and handling is smooth, and most weapons are very fun to use. Graphics might've aged by now, but they do a decent enough of a job to make a believable sci-fi setting and to make you feel like you're in it.

The game spans 10 story chapters. The first few levels have you fighting and arresting the perps, and the latter levels are more trigger happy and mostly have you fight hordes of zombies and vampires. Some of the levels are done really well (The Docks, The Lab, The Hospital, The Undercity), whilst a few others were more of an annoyance than anything (The Training, The Smokatorium). The training level should've been completely optional and isn't a very interesting way to introduce new players to the game. However, if you can stomach it, the game really picks up from there.

There isn't much of a story there. The dark judges escape and you spend most of the game hunting each one down. The boss fights were somewhat disappointing. 3 of the 4 of them simply involved you walking around the level and pressing switches, and only one of them was an actual full-on battle where you had to shoot the baddie down. Having said that, most FPS games tend to have very badly done boss fights, so wouldn't be fair to single out this game specifically.

The game also contains some arcade levels, but they lose their appeal very fast as you realise most of them is just you vs a big group of enemies with too little health. The (5-6 hour) story campaign is the only reason to play this game really, so if you're up for some fun sci-fi gunfights, you should have a good time playing this game.
  10. Jan 8, 2015
    Most people will find this in a Steam sale and wonder whether it's worth the pittance they're selling it for. The answer is yes.

It's the perfect game for killing an hour or two with and as a fan of the comics it does everything right. It's ancient now and even for it's time the graphics were light. But the gameplay is fun and the Lawmaker weapon is handy against a variety of enemies.

You kill zombies, vampires, cultists, vandals etc. but you can arrest people too which is a nice addition.

Good game for Dredd fans.
  11. Dec 3, 2013
    One of the first zombiegames! This game is sometimes scary. It has a great atmosphere. It seems when a reviewer see the name Rebellion they think it can't be that good. But all of their games are beautiful. Look at the difference between the score of the reviewers and the userscores with all these good first person shooters. Reviewers are too scared to give populair games like Call of DutyOne of the first zombiegames! This game is sometimes scary. It has a great atmosphere. It seems when a reviewer see the name Rebellion they think it can't be that good. But all of their games are beautiful. Look at the difference between the score of the reviewers and the userscores with all these good first person shooters. Reviewers are too scared to give populair games like Call of Duty bad ratings, while these games don't have any atmosphere. The userscrores are the scores of the real gamers. Judge Dredd is a really good fps. Expand
  12. Nov 28, 2014
    Recommended with reservation. 7.5/10 at a generous rating.

It's short. Six hours max. The graphics are ancient. (Originally released in 2003.) They are a bit too clolourful in places. Sometimes enemies fly off when you kill them. Rescuing hostages in the hospital is a bit maze-like. However being a childhood 2000AD (and Dredd) reader, I liked it when I played it years ago. Out of
    Recommended with reservation. 7.5/10 at a generous rating.

It's short. Six hours max.
    Sometimes enemies fly off when you kill them.
    Rescuing hostages in the hospital is a bit maze-like.

However being a childhood 2000AD (and Dredd) reader, I liked it when I played it years ago. Out of curiosity of forgetting what it was like I just bought it again in the Black Friday sale (2014). I just played it and finished. I had a blast. It's gun and run and flows fast. There is still the odd surprise.

It's a shame it will probaly never be re-made and improved and lengthened. Given its short length I can understand why it was panned in reviews years ago. Being a fan I can understand why I liked it.
  13. Sep 19, 2013
    It is a hard work to be judge, jury and executioner in Mega-City One. Never read comics, but certainly better than film with Stallone. I am the law. 52/100
  14. Mar 27, 2015
    The game mechanics are very clunky or my mouse is bugged. I had hard times to aim. Enemies are quite repetitive. The game also forces the player into the unhandy checkpoint system. The only positive thing I can mention is the irony when arresting people and giving them long penalties for doing noting. All in all pity since the theme has potential.

1. To be brutally honest, you are as imaginative as dry, unbuttered toast. [July 2004, p.65]
  2. Your main objective is the bane of the modern FPS: follow a little blue arrow while shooting things, with the odd escort or protect responsibility thrown in to make you turn around occasionally. It's average justice dished out to the licence, but nothing more. [Christmas 2003, p.121]
  3. Dredd-fully underwhelming. [July 2004, p.75]