7.7

1. Jan 28, 2013
    The underlying theme is Just Cause 2 is fun.
    The open world aspect is amazing, the amount of vehicles you can drive, and the grapple hook steals the show. However, beyond the stunning graphics and fun game play, unfortunately, Just Cause 2 has multiple faults. Here a couple.
    1. Repetition, throughout the whole game, there is lots of repeating yourself. Every mission is very similar,
    and finding the pieces to the base is SO ANNOYING, because there is always ONE that you can't find.
    2. Story line: Horrible Voice Acting: Worse
    Ok, now it was too short, too boring, too pointless . . . Overall it was bad, very bad, in fact, bad doesn't even begin to describe it.
    That is, if you are looking for a good story. but I was looking for fun, and thought it was hilarious.
    Now, what's more fun than killing a bunch of villagers, then hijacking a military helicopter as it shoots bullets at you, and then flying it up as high as you can and skydiving out of it? Or how about tying a jeep to a helicopter and using it as a wrecking ball? These features alone make the game great, but it could have been SO much better if Square Enix put some story into it, and maybe some online multiplayer. This is what gave it a 7. But hey, the game definitely had a lasting appeal, now when I'm playing GTA IV I think, where's that grapple hook when I need it? I loved and hated the game, but overall, the fun gameplay shone through the crap story line. For me at least.
  2. Mar 21, 2013
    If this game is one thing, it is fun! Fun, something that a lot of games lack these days. The story of this game was meant to be completely stereotypical and lame, and that adds comedy to the game. There are so many things to do in Just Cause 2 that you will find you can never leave. The game has so much going for it, but only one minor problem keeps it from a 10/10: no multiplayer at launch. I know that someone has been developing it, in the form of a mod. But come on, this game would be so much better with vanilla multilayer! Expand
  3. Jul 12, 2013
    This game is absolute great, especially for its price online. I found a copy for just $2.50 and I'm sure it's not hard at all to find one for ~$10 elsewhere. It's a mix of GTA with Mercenaries with a fun grappling hook and parachute combo that never gets tiring for traveling around the beautiful world.

The only things that stops this game from being a 10/10 is the very small variety of
    weapons, poor vehicle controls, and repetitive nature. Most of the missions feel the same, but it doesn't really matter too much because it's a lot of fun anyway.

If the gameplay mechanics weren't as fun as they are, this game easily could have been a 5/10, due to all the reasons people have listed as well as the ones above. Regardless, the most amazing $2.50 game I have ever played.
  4. Jul 15, 2013
    I'll start with the cons. I personally thought the story was pretty weak. And the first 3/4 of the game is incredibly repetitive. I almost got to the point where I was bored enough with the story to stop playing for a while. The "bosses" were the stereotype where they're nearly invincible because it takes so long to kill them even if you're shooting them in the head.

Pros: Panau is a
    huge open world environment and is easily the most beautiful game I have ever played. There are so many fun vehicles to drive and on occasion it's fun to just hop in an airplane and explore. The game play is really fun. Especially the grapple, it makes those tedious long walks between mission move along a bit quicker. The guns are also fun to use, although I would have appreciated if there were more guns to use and just an overall larger selection of things to buy in the black market.

Overall, Just Cause 2 is a great game. It's fun to play just to mess around. There are a lot of flaws but the fun gameplay easily makes you forget about it. I would recommend to anyone.
  5. Feb 21, 2014
    Fun. Flying should have better controls... but what's a n!**a to do? It's still a fun game. Don't expect realism; that grappling hook parachute combo makes ol' dude a borderline superhero at getting out of trouble. Oh god! And the stereotypical Asian voices are hilarious sometimes.

On the downside, it can get repetitive; more-so than most games.

I would give it a 9, but then I
    remembered I bought it for less than $5... so a 10 it is. But, if you want realism, skip on by. If you want something fun and don't care if some aspects are out there a bit, then give it a shot. Expand
  6. Mar 11, 2011
    I love sandbox games. Despite what some people might tell you, genuine open world sandbox games are few and far between. Just Cause 2 is one of them. It plays much like a B-movie, which of course is a good thing when it comes to an action game. I even downloaded a mod that turns the protagonist into John Rambo, it's hilarious (good job, modder!) The island paradise game world is huge and strikingly beautiful, but despite the game being so big, it never gets tedious getting from point A to point B, because you have your trusty grappling hook, and multitude of vehicles you can steal GTA style or purchase on the black market. The black market guy can also extract you to any previously discovered location, for a price. The combat is quite satisfying, it can get really hectic when a lot of enemies are on the screen. The explosions are over the top and incredibly fun as well. Expand
  7. Mar 18, 2013
    Just Cause 2 should be able to be appreciated by any sandbox fan. If you like being able to do whatever you want, whenever you want, and approach every mission from a multitude of difference angles, this game is for you. On top of that, if you're a completionist, there are hundreds upon hundreds of gameplay hours available here. I have also spent countless hours grappling up a mountain, just to single-handedly destroy an entire communications base with rocket launchers, then steal their helicopter, fly to the beach, then destroy a military base with missiles, causing multiple choppers to come out and have a dog fight. If my heli gets blown up, I can safely land on the ground by *pulling myself toward it* with a grappling hook or by deploying one of my infinite parachutes. Physics be damned. Realism be damned. This game is utterly ridiculous. Kill everything and everyone. Blow up all the things. If you don't like this game, you are hereby deemed clinically-depressed, a boring human being, and I hate you.
    Just Cause 2 is one of the best games I've ever played, and one of the only games I can pick up year after year and find something new to do. Poor reviews on this game disgust me and make me lose faith in humanity. Learn how to have fun, you entitled little pr!(k.
  8. Aug 25, 2012
    Yes, the gameplay is really fun. With a good story and likeable characters this game would be fantastic. But the story and characters are really bad. The missions feel repetitive, and for me the game got boring faster than it should've.
  9. Jul 14, 2013
    This game has so much potential, but one thing that ruins the game a lot is the negative mouse acceleration. I cant believe why anyone would do that. Makes NO sense to me. Another this that grinds my balls to dust is the saving system. If u make your way really far and then die, you´ll start over from the last checkpoint. So why even include a savingsystem if it dosent work as it should? I googled a way to fix this but i bought this game on steam so it dosnt work. Expand
  10. Dec 16, 2012
    I would like to write more but since everything has been already said I will just sum up; the game is extremely addictive, beautiful, entertaining and rewarding. For me it is the best open world game, far far ahead of overrated GTA 4 which is total opposite - frustrating, repetitive and boring. I just loved JC2 2 years ago and I still do and play it from time to time.
  11. Oct 1, 2014
    The mechanics make checks the control can't cash. Everything in this game is fiddly & awkward, despite allowing large margins of error (sometimes large to a fault, as in the constant auto-aim annoyances). There are plenty of games out there that require far more accuracy, speed, precision & intricacy of control, and actually provide the player with the tools to fulfill it.

Otherwise, as
    is common in "open-world" games, the mission structure defeats the object of any flexibility & improvisation supposedly on offer. Expand
  12. Feb 25, 2014
    The gameplay IS original but most of the time it's just... completely awkward. I will explain why. There is a LOT of getting-used-to required. It looks similar to GTA games but as someone who has played GTA games to the point of pointlessness maybe I am being too critical but to me PC control system is a far cry from GTA - it's as if they spent 30 minutes porting controls from consoles, it's really a half arsed effort. The 3rd person camera is obnoxious but you can get used to it (still though, not perfect as in GTA IV). Default keyboard controls are moronically laid out so you will want to change that from the start rather than waste hours struggling with the set hoping that somehow it's just you and the settings are ideal. Not everything can be changed though, for example the weapon zoom lock can't be changed - in such action packed game zoom locking can get very annoying. Sprint mode is even more awkward, you'll just avoid using it most of the time and just move around with your grappling hook. Now about the grapling hook, it's original, yes, but it's just simply ridiculous and with such awkward controls you'll end up in funny but (over time) annoying situations. Most of the time you have no idea what's going on, where you are and what you're doing, if it turns red you just hook to another radar or radio tower which are abundant thorugh the game. With that said it's not a conventional game, you have to use the hook it's not a choice. Laws of physics don't apply in this game, you'll be doing stuff which defies all logic. This would all be fine if it wasn't for the awkwardly ported controls, they just don't make sense in a shooter, again, I'm a big fan of GTA games and never had problems with 3rd person shooter concept but in Just Cause 2 controls are so ridiculous they're distracting from the game. For example if you accidentally press number 1 twice you would unload the gun... this happened a lot in mid-action and it's frustrating, now unloading my gun would make sense if this was Skyrim but it's not, why would I ever want to unload the freaking gun? This is just one "thing" but there are plenty. Graphics are just... OK. I have a serious gaming rig because I appreciate great graphics which was what I expected from this game. In realty graphics feel like special effects in a low budget action movie from 80s. The world is massive but not very detailed, textures are generic and sometimes low res almost like solid colors, character models are crude and lifeless, cut scenes are extremely boring and to make things worse often unskippable. Water/fire effects are great but they stand out from the crude low-res low-poly world that surrounds them, the world is NOT immersive like in Crysis, Far Cry, HL2 or GTA IV, it all feels like a cartboard stage. Blood stains, bullet holes, explosions etc. are very short and after few seconds the place looks like new. Damage on vehicles is a terrible and cheap photoshop job. Various little issues are plenty but not serious, e.g. you often can't pick up dropped guns or guns disappear somewhere inside a 3D polygon. It's worth noting that on my rig (which is a modern and high end Win7 one) game crashed quite often, at least every few hours. I have a very fast SSD disc and saving settings such as a hotkey would take 15 seconds, I simply can't fathom why. Minimizing the game to check some tips on the web would often crash it. Again it's got all those "ported from XBOX in 15 mins" issues. If you've read this far I guess there's no need to continue and trust me there are more issues so don't waste your time unless you really like to try out new things in which case go for it but don't get your hopes too high. Expand
  13. Sep 5, 2010
    I've seen too many people jump too conclusions with this game. Many people focus solely on the open-end aspect, saying "Wow, the land you can explore is amazingly huge". When you broaden your sights on the major aspects which make a great game you see Just Cause 2 misses a few crucial aspects. First off is variety: After you've completed 30% of the game you realise you've been doing the same thing over and over. Blowing up fuel tanks, knocking over transmission towers and going through the tedious hi-jack animation. It all becomes a bit tiresome.

The voice acting is some parts is terrible. Sometimes the voice stops but the lip-sync animation still runs for seconds after. And in other parts it sounds like the developers are patronising people who actually have accents of those portrayed in the game. The story, no doubt a crucial part of any game is lacking with the ending being unbearably corny. There a plethora of bugs yet to be fixed. Such as the faulty Heat-system (think of the 6 stars in GTA). Many timer I find myself with no enemies around yet my heat refuses to decrease. Also if you are stand right up to a wall and fire you grapple the animation of you hand puts the grapple through the wall, and he doesn't grapple on anything. Apart from all that, the game does have some interesting features. Grappling two objects (or people) never seems to get old. And you do get some pretty hilarious moments. But overall, this game could have a lot improved.
  14. Oct 13, 2010
    What Far Cry 2 should have been. Whether you like the story or you think it's boring this game is just plain fun to screw around in. If you can see it way out in the horizon you can go there by any means possible. Sets a new standard of what a sandbox game should be.
  15. Mar 9, 2011
    Sometimes I just want to blow up the world, and that is exactly what Just Cause 2 was made for. The game is one bold love letter to the bygone era of fun-if-slightly-trashy action movies. It's an enormous playground where the player is free to do anything he wishes, as long as it's blowing stuff up and causing havoc. It's surprising that the gunplay is the weakest part of the game, with bullets feeling very flimsy and explosives being rarer than they should be. Of course, this encourages the player to experiment with the game's more unconventional ways of fighting back. Using the grappling hook to tether enemies to various objects in the world never gets old. There are no barriers in this game. See something on the horizon? You can get there. The combination of parachute and grappling hook enables the player to effortlessly traverse Panau and take in the stunning scenery. And make no mistake, the game looks incredible.
    All in all Just Cause 2 is an outstanding open world mayhem simulator with an unrivalled sense of scale.
  16. Mar 15, 2011
    Damn fun game. From parachuting off skyscrapers to tying a soldier to a passenger jet and taking off with it, there will never be a moment when you're bored. The downsides of the games are mainly in the story and voice acting. I had no idea voice acting in games could be that bad, and I much preferred the game when I set the voice volume to 0. If you're looking for a pointless game to blow stuff up in, this is it. It also has the biggest playable map I've ever seen, with tonnes of easter eggs and unique vehicles there to find. The mod community for the game is also pretty incredible. Definitely worth checking out at least. Reminded me of Prototype a little. Expand
  17. Jan 11, 2012
    Where's the story?

It's a fun game but I just don't care about stuff. It's just blowing stuff up for the sake of blowing stuff up. The island feels too big. It takes too long to get places, even in a plane. There is not enough ammo considering I'm supposed to destroy things before I can move onto the next mission.
  18. Dec 4, 2013
    One of the best free roam games ever. Almost limitless things to do from tying people the gas tanks and shooting the gas tanks off sending people into the air like rockets to diving from a helicopter on top of a taking off military cargo jet which u high jack in the air, every biome possible is in this game and with a tough but not annoying upgrading system in the game it makes this game one of the funniest pc games i have ever played. This game is in my top 10 of all time Expand
  19. Jan 21, 2014
    Besides nice graphics and huge open world (which is very detailed), it doesn't have much else to offer. The game itself doesn't have good storyline, its voice-cast is unprofessional, heat-system is laughable and mid-through the game you'll be left with no serious goal to achieve.
    Sure, blowing up fuel tanks, SAM sites and generators while watching big explosions may seem like fun, but it
    gets quite repetitious - not to mention how frustrating it gets when you're searching for the last property to destruct in order to advance.
    It might seem as I'm bashing the game, but I'm not. I had loads of fun when I started playing it, but I just don't see myself hooked to the game. Overall it's a decent game, it just needs some improvements.
  20. Jul 1, 2014
    One giant step-up since the original release of Just Cause.

It seems highly exaggerating, especially when hi-jacking cars & planes, getting shot many times, opening your chute while on-foot. It does have many glitches, but the game-play is fine.
  21. Dec 18, 2010
    I'm at about 6hrs and its one of those games that could have been great but lacking some refinement and having a few very bad mistakes.
    the good - graphics engine, flying about with the grapple and chute, free form environment
    the average - level design, combat
    the bad - why can't i look straight up? too complicated to change from inside a car to the mounted gun on the back. cars have
    the best wheels of all time - virtually no friction, u must stop the car before u jump on the back to shoot someone otherwise u'll be rolling down the street for seriously as far as it is straight. grappling up a building has you looking straight at the wall when u haul urself in which is pointless because u then have to move the mouse again to look back in the direction u wanted to go. why are there low lying snow covered mountains within sight of seemingly warm tropical islands? lack of background story or foundation when u start the game. i was confused about the agency thing, they seemed like a government agency, but the guy is an absolute terrorist.

to summarize - its a game u play if u just want some pointless blasting, any seriousness about a story or any real envolvement is long gone. its playable and sometimes quite fun but its like a badly made corny movie.
  22. Jun 21, 2011
    The best part of this game is also the worst part of this game. And the name of the game is chaos. For a game that doesn't take itself seriously, doesn't place any emphasis on plot, character development or an engrossing narrative, it could be a lot worse. And a lot better. What this game is, however, is everything GTA 4 wants to be and isn't. No more annoying phone calls from your virtual friends. No more game dates wherein you never get to see any closed-doors action. Murder, of everything and anything, is the name of this game. And if you're looking to waste hours of your life destroying haphazardly anything and everything, then this is certainly what you're looking for. Expect a game that sacrifices narrative for cliche characters and big explosions, but requires you to follow the nearly propagandist plot to find the biggest and best of all the die-hard scenarios. Expand
  23. Aug 14, 2011
    I give this a nine, it's seriously good, fun and awesome!
    You can drive a car, a boat, and fly and yeah I say everything is good about it.
    Just that I don't like that I have Level 3 Deagle and if I shoot an enemy in the head with it he doesn't die I have 2 shot the enemy 2 times and it's not kinda real I could have a level 1 Deagle and kill and enemy by a headshot :/
  24. Dec 26, 2011
    A big 10 from me
    ____________________

This game is amazing people say the fun ends in some hours, It does not. Only if you are lazy, In just cause 2 you can explore stuff on every single place, Gun upgrades vehicle upgrades and the map is so HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE and beautiful. If youre tired of going slow, Go to the airport and you will vind a very fast plane in one of thoose garages or
    complete 5 missions or so and unlock escort to reach the entire map in less than 10 seconds. Buy this game if you have not already. Expand
  25. Feb 15, 2013
    Think of this game like your favorite summer action flick: outrageous stunts, tons of explosions and light on plot.
    Just Cause 2 is effectively a playground of destruction. A lot of vehicles (on land, sea and air) and plenty of weapons.
    And the grappling hook. By far the most entertaining part of the game. It can be used to pull yourself up a building, or pull an enemy off of one. Or,
    you can tether two things together, such as an enemy to a rocket and watch the hilarity ensue.
    Classic example of gameplay: I'm flying an unarmed passenger plane; enemy helicopters are dogging me. I fly high up into the sky, climb out of the and jump onto the top of my plane. Plane starts losing altitude, but I wait until an enemy helicopter gets close enough. I jump, going through free fall, diving past the helicopters. Midair, I grapple onto one of the 'copters, haul myself up onto it's nose, proceed to shoot the co-pilot and then beat the pilot senseless and throw him out of the I am now flying the helicopter and I use it to shoot down the remaining enemies flying after me.
    And that's how the game goes. It wasn't part of any mission, it was just me toodling around and only a few hours into the game.
    I can't comment too much on the story, since I really haven't been paying much attention to it. Basically, you're a spy/agent and your mentor was deep undercover and went rogue; now it's up to you to find him. To do so, you need to get in good with local rebel groups (by running missions) to destabilize the tyrannical regime and flush out the rogue agent.

Problems:
    Camera shake. Nearly everything causes the camera to shake, sometimes horribly. My eyes can't really handle it and there isn't any way to turn it off. Might not be an issue for some, but it is for me.
    Mods: there are only a few, and they're somewhat useful, but nothing like an overhaul or texture packs.
    Bugs: I haven't really noticed any; although sometimes physics will wig out, but I've only seen it happen a few times. Although, I did just fall through a bridge, but it's the first time it has happened in the 30+ hours that I've been playing it.

tl;dr: playground of destruction, a lot of fun, and it's $15 on Steam. Definitely worth it.
  26. Nov 13, 2012
    This is an amazing game that while still having it "GOD DANG IT!" moments the game always gets me right back to playing. Not only is the world amazingly huge but with your grapple your grapple hook, you have at least 4 hours in a row just messing around. (I hope people get that sarcasm). When you do get bored of that can go out and attack police and start a police chase, out of the 65 hours of game play i have had so far i can say half of it just running from the cops then getting out of my flaming car, and then getting in another car. A side from the stupid fun i have mentioned so far, the game has amazing graphics and tons of possibilities! The only reason this didn't get a ten is because of the teeth grinding things like when the game gives you an awesome jet, and just crams a bunch of AA guns of your backside, and the fact that the game had much more potential. The game can flip you off sometimes but the rest of the time is dumb fun. Of course if your still not sure there is a demo on steam that a gives you a chunk of the world to mess around on so you can see if your self. I hope this helped! Expand
  27. Nov 17, 2012
    I am giving this a 10, solely based on the amount of freakin' fancy I've got.

Sure, gameplay is repetitive and the voice acting starts sucking very quickly. I have only one purpose for this game: Every night, before I get to sleep, I do a few spectacular aerial tours of the entire landscape, using the following mod...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmtHD60pL6Y
    This has greatly helped me
    with my lucid dreaming and anyone who has even the slightest interest in lucid dreaming should make this a mandatory exercise on a regular basis...Enjoy!!! Expand
  28. May 8, 2013
    Fantastic open world with great vistas,gamelpay and controls are great to get around the game quickly. Took a few weeks of nights away from me but well worth it, only wish more missions were available as the game was over too soon, but lots of other stuff to do that will keep you busy for some time. COME ON JUST CAUSE 3 PLEASE
  29. Aug 15, 2013
    I have to review this because of "TheUnbiasedOne"'s review, this is clearly a right winged dream, infiltrating a country that doesn't want you there and killing anyone that disagrees with Uncle Sam.

Other than that, the game play is phenomenal, it is fun to shoot around on your grappling hook and glide with an infinite parachute. It's ridiculous of course but it is very fun, if anyone
    played Mercenaries 2, it's like that yet the destruction is much more rewarding. The only reason I took 2 points off is because of a significant lack of multiplayer, this game could have been one of the best sandbox do what ever the hell you want games, yet it has no multiplayer, and it kills me that they neglected it. Expand
  30. Jan 2, 2014
    Just Cause 2 is an amazing game. Tons of fun missions, beautiful explosions, and over 100 different vehicles to find and drive. Although, the game gets very repetitive after you complete all the faction missions and the main story line. I wouldn't say this is a game to play to completion, but very fun until you get to about 60% completion.
  31. Dec 31, 2013
    Ok, I am a little late the this game. Partly because I didn't have a system that could play it. Now that I have a smoking rig, I am going back a bit and playing games forward. My current computer lets me play this on Max every setting. The only glitch was turning off V-Sync or it would cause it to crash to the desktop now in then with Windows 8.

Pros: I got this game plus DLC for
    $11 on Steam. A STEAL for the amount of fun I am having. This game reminds me a lot of the first half of the original Crysis, which I loved. Lots of action, shooting, blowing stuff up. In that game, even after I had killed off any troops, I'd finish blowing up the whole camp, every car, mowing down trees, because I thought it was fun. You get lots of that in Just Cause 2. One of my favorite things is to steal a good chopper from a Military Base and fly around blowing up random bases, enemy installations... or as the game says creating chaos for the government. Then when I am finally matched or shot down, bailing out and parachuting into a remote area to make my way to then next mission or objective. Some have complained about repetition of missions, etc... but I found that in Dues Ex, the Far Cry series, the Fallout Series, Skyrim, etc... I'd rather have more repetition, and the ability to choose what I want to do, and still finish the game than a short 6-10 hour $59 linear game that a day later your sitting there going..."That's it?" Not all of us our online gamers so the multi-player doesn't appeal to everyone. Some of us old school still a big, open world, single player experience which this delivers. Lastly, I am playing it on the hardcore setting. On this setting, some of the missions are pretty challenging so if you are experienced, I highly recommend this setting.

CONS: Obviously, not the fault of the game really, but more when I am playing it after it's release, the graphics are a tad dated. However, being able to play on Max settings without a hick-up makes it still an above average game visually. Not as polished as the original Crysis, but still very good. The weapons use, aiming, etc... could be a little tighter and realistic. The weapons upgrades as well. I find myself gravitating to a few regularly, without the need to upgrade many vehicles either. Doesn't detract from the game but could enhance it had it been done a little differently. Story could be a little tighter but if you play you'll find that your main mission, along with helping the 3 factions on the island, keep it interesting. Especially if you mix up which faction missions, and for whom you complete them. There is not "set" order to do them so don't. It keeps it fresh.

Conclusion: Hey, I got this for $11. For that money, it was one of the best game purchases I have made. If you skipped this for a reason, and you can get it at a bargain, I'd pick it up. You can't go wrong. I'd gladly have paid more but I didn't have too and neither do you. Yes there are tighter, more realistic, more linear offerings. But if you are looking for a good time, like the FPS non-linear style game, then this is for you.
  32. Oct 11, 2010
    A really good game for all action fans. I am also a fan of it. But there is only one thing. At least I miss a little bit the alternation in this game. Thats why I evalueted it only with 7 points. Have fun with it.
  33. Dec 15, 2010
    Well, first off the good bits. This is an amazingly beautiful game with some of the prettiest vistas and locations ive seen. Diverse enough to have snow, desert and tropical island in one game. Oblivion eat your heart out. Whats more is that it seems to be well optimised that lower spec pc's (within reason) can play it and still have it look fantastic. It has some pretty cool vehicles (military jet) and and awesome little locations like the floating zeppilin night club and the island from lost easter-egg. Sadly however these gold stars are not enough to make up for the river of crap they are floating on. Beginning with the smaller flaws: the weapons and most of the vehicles. Most of the guns are just plain boring with the revolvers being the coolest, if not the most efficient to use. Granted there is DLC but that doesnt add a great deal of fun stuff either. The most fun by far is the remote explosives which make stunning explosions (especially if you put them throughout an entire base and set them off simultaneously). Most of the vehicles are terrible. they are not fun to drive, handle like dogs and look a bit like barbie-mobiles. Even the tank is just a glorified APC (would have been so much cooler to have a T-80 or a challanger or something). Greater faults: the grappling hook + parachute. Yes they are fun. For the 1st hour. After that they become a tool for getting about mostly and the novelty of tying people up gets lost after the 50th group. There is only so many times you can do something before it gets dull. Getting about using the combo is waaaay too slow for the size of the game and is really just for when you cant find a better vehicle to do so in. Even in vehicles it takes stupidly long times to get anywhere and a jet is the only real way of doing so. This wouldnt be a problem however if it wasnt for the last, big major flaw:
    The Big one: Nothing exciting to do in sandbox mode. At all. Almost all the locations (of which there are hundreds) provide nothing to do other than find briefcases or kill some dumass AI soldiers in random villages or cities. Jumping off of buildings and generally doing stunts isnt actually any fun as it takes almost no amount of skill to do. This would also be less of a problem had a healthy storyline and side quests been present. They are however, identi-kit rush this base, pick up minigun, gun down chopper, repeat, missions. the storyline ones offer some variation, but even that is cheesy and only visual. Not to mention the ever present lip-sync bugs.
    Its all a real shame too. This game, with a better storyline, more varied and interesting side-quests (look to peers like GTA and Saints Row 2 for inspiration guys) and my personal desire (not actually that big a deal) more destructable objects other than radio towers, would have made this game almost perfect. On a sidenote, i personally noticed that this game became a lot more fun for me after i began using cheats. Infinite ammo (while still needing to reload) as well as infinie explosives were my favourite and seemed to make a massive difference to the entertainment value. Im still not quite sure whether this is in favour or against the game as a whole.
    In Summary:
    + Beautiful game, almost no peers in this respect.
    + Great explosions and demolitions
    + Some cool vehicles, weapons and locations

- Ways of getting around too dull, most vehicles not fun or useful
    - Most weapons not actually fun to use
    - Not much to actually do that is different - gets boring quickly
    - Repetitive missions and side quests
    - Bugs in sound syncing and other various non-game braking ones
    - Poor AI

Overall: 4.5/10 (i rounded up to 5)
    P.S. at the time of writing, the game is £5 on steam. It is very hard to not recommend the game at that price as it will most probably provide enough play time and enjoyment for the money.
  34. Feb 15, 2011
    First and foremost, if you're a completionist, you will absolutely love this game; but I'll get to that later. Instead, I'll start out by saying that the graphics in this game are close to stunning. Between the setting sun and the motion blur while on top of a car, the great visuals make experiences vary from beautiful to intense (but epic). Not to mention the explosions, they're the best explosions I've seen in a game (so far). However, the water whitewash looks 2D and like clip art at times (same with smoke when it passes through buildings), but water has always been an extremely difficult thing to design and program in all games. Also, the vision haze that comes with going underwater was not applied to some objects. So, you would see a rock as clearly as if you were out of the water, but this only happened rarely. The soundtrack was, unfortunately, unoriginal and, even though the setting was a southeast Asian island, the oriental accents and touches in the soundtrack didn't quite work. For some reason, also, they decided to make some ambient tracks hispanic/spanish themed and (even though Rico Rodriguez, the protagonist, is clearly hispanic or hispanic-american) that didn't seem to match the other James Bond/oriental tracks of the score. This takes us to voice acting..........which was atrocious. The Asian accents were over exaggerated and I never felt like I was actually listening to someone have a conversation. The writing was pretty bad, too, although some of Rico's one-liners (excluding the ones heard during actual gameplay, those were just blunt and lacked any clever input) were nice. Many times, the dialogue felt like they were simply trying to put in a cutscene for the sake of it and the cutscenes that were shown before each Stronghold Mission were just strange and random proclamations of the faction leader's hatred of Panay or appraisal of Rico's skill. The only part of writing that was okay was the gist of the main story, not the actual dialogue of the main story, but the ideas behind it. Panay's plan for global dominance wasn't something like mind control or something ridiculous, it was an actual economic advantage that would have allowed Panay to control trillions in the world's economy. This takes us to mission variation, which is also not so there. Although the action is usually great, the 42 missions that are available are either go destroy, go kill, go retrieve/steal, or go kidnap a guy. Now, for the completionist. There are 362 locations with a percent completion score for each location, allowing you to be sure you've done everything possible within that town/base/village. It'll even mark the location as "complete" which allows you to systematically complete all the locations, this will take much more of your time than you expected, and much more time than it felt like. Similar to locations are collectibles and races which are marked as completed (or collected) just as locations are. The only downside to this is how overwhelmed you can get until the world is divided into faction territories and you will also never reach 100% completion as they made it impossible to find every little crate in the 50 sq miles of land and sea. Just by the by, the world is enormous in a good way, but sometimes a bad way. Distance between locations can be a bit annoyingly large. But, the way the world varies from tropical islands, cities, deserts, mountains, snowscapes, grass planes, jungles, and forests is astonishing. It feels like a living, breathing world instead of a boring plane that the designers called "land." Especially when it comes to explosions and destruction, the world reacts smoothly and beautifully. The grappling hook makes for an amazingly useful tool to traverse the world and the ability to ride on top of vehicles (including airplanes) makes the action even more intense. To the action: explosions look terrific, this may be a little specific but when cars crash, roll, and flip, it is extremely awesomely cool. Needless to say, you will have extreme action experiences throughout the game. Downsides, however, the police system is completely unscaled. There really is no level of how pissed off they get. If you have level 1 "heat," the will send a helicopter and every police vehicle and person within 5 miles will converge on your location. This level of intensity doesn't change until level 6, where it isn't even a challenge but just a whipping. Trying to fend of 3 helicopters at once and the entire government army is not possible, my friends. Hijacking a vehicle is also completely unexciting: as you watch the pilot and Rico sit in place, you push a button and one single punch is executed, then another, and another, then your done. Also, you will get extremely frustrated with your health, as the same weapon will inflict radically different amounts of damage under the same conditions. It's frustratingly unpredictable. But if you're a completionist, buy this game, no question. Expand
  35. May 17, 2011
    The best sandbox game I have ever played and a great springboard from the GTA series, which are getting tedious. The area you can scour is enormous and breathtakingly beautiful, the possibilities - countless, and they are expanded even more by the mods available for the PC version. People criticize the story, but I find it to be a good satire - it is not supposed to be serious and it's not the usual American pathos (which is a plus for me). Flaws - while it's a brilliant title, it certainly doesn't use its full potential. The amount of missions and their variety could be higher. The AI could use some work, but show me a game with a good AI nowadays, huh. It also isn't a game for people who prefer being hand-pulled and follow a straight line. Just Cause 2 is a game for people who value freedom :) Expand
  36. Jul 19, 2011
    Well, actually this game is one of the greatest games ever made, open world, great graphics and lots of fun with the grappling hook, but there are two bad things. First: the missions get boring with some time, and second: that indolent control drives me crazy!!! Please, Square Enix, improve that the next time!!
  37. Dec 19, 2011
    If you want a well driven narrative, good voice acting, fun missions, or exciting combat look elsewhere. This game is not for you.

Who is this game for, then? People who love massive worlds and just general screwing around. The draw distance is insane and whatever you see, you can go to. You can hijack jets, helicopters, cars, boats, and motorcycles. You can harass the citizens, or just
    fly around and enjoy the scenery. The world is MASSIVE, I believe it was something like 400 square miles. The joy in the game is finding things to do for yourself. If you're just slogging through the missions, you're playing it wrong.

It's worth getting just to see a fully realized world like this.
  38. Mar 16, 2012
    This game is epic. perfect game engine all is so.. i don't now this word... I think there are some bugs but that is not important for me. This game is very very very very very very good.
  39. Jul 30, 2012
    Exhilarating and trololol would be 2 words that sum up this game pretty nicely. As said by many others, the missions in this game do get a bit repetitive later on, but they're not really that bad when you get to play it. Only the Stronghold takeovers are truely repetitive. But the missions are not the real beauty of the game. You have the most fun on Just Cause 2 when you're just trolling around the highway/countryside highjacking cars and killing people like in GTA, but now you have a grapple hook and a parachute that are great for just doing random things with. All in all, a great buy for its price. Expand
  40. Sep 5, 2012
    Magnifique jeu pour les paysages. Les moyens de déplacement à la disposition sont une superbe idée :
    avion, hélicoptère, moto, voitures, quad, bateaux.....Mais le maniement avec clavier est vraiment navrant !!!
    Pas moyen de se diriger comme on le veut...
    La liberté d'aller où l'on veut est hypersympa aussi mais le gros gros
    problème ce sont les sauvegardes :
    dès que le personnage meurt, c'est la sauvegarde automatique qui se lance même si vous avez passé une après-midi à jouer.... et sauvegardé manuellement toutes les 10 minutes : tout le niveau est à recommencer car la sauvegarde automatique ne se lance que quand on a terminé une mission : ce qui est parfois très difficile ou très long.
    A la fin on en a vite marre de se retrouver 30 km en arrière...
    Donc le jeu vaut la peine pour voir ce que pourrait être un jeu de rêve mais qui ne l'est pas....
    Je l'ai acheté moins de 10 euros, je regrette de ne pas m'être contentée de la démo gratuite!!!
    A voir absolument mais il faut être tenace et mordu pour pouvoir finir le jeu!!
    Quel dommage...en espérant que la version 3 corrigera ces problèmes...?

Score : 9 pour le graphisme, les idées; 3 pour le reste
  41. Oct 26, 2012
    The other day, I drove a speed boat onto land, ran it up a ramp-like cliff, parachuted out before it exploded, grappled onto the mid-air flaming remainder of a boat, and proceeded to get crushed underneath thanks to my arch-nemesis, gravity. Why'd I do this, you ask? Just cause. If you're one of those gamers who plays a game with the intention to beat it as fast as possible, yeah--you'll have a rather repetitive experience. But if you choose to be creative, if you choose to do random, crazy things "just 'cause," everything is prepared for you to go balls-out (in a damn-beautiful open world, too). Don't get me wrong though, there are missions, side-quests, and a decent story to keep you on track as well. Don't pass up its next sale on Steam. Expand
  42. Dec 28, 2012
    The problem and why I think this game has such mixed reviews is that people are focusing on one aspect of the game in their review and getting bogged down in it. The fun to Just Cause 2 is how open it is and what all it provides for you to do. Yes, if you focus solely on collecting the stupid collectables, you will get bored (it does get pretty boring) but you don't have to do that, nor do you have to focus solely on the missions. The main point to Just Cause 2 is to "cause chaos," a seemingly cliche way to tell the player to do whatever the heck they want to blow stuff up and have fun to progress to further missions. I've played over 150 hours and still found new, fun things to mess around with, the most recent being grappling a truck to a helicopter and swinging it around to the speed that it starts swinging my helicopter around. Basically, it comes down to this: If you're into games that push you (the player) to make decisions about how you want to play the game and to make the game fun and unique to you (whether you fast travel everywhere, drive and take in the gorgeous sights, or hijack helicopters and fly everywhere), you will enjoy this game. If you enjoy open world exploration and the freedom to try crazy ridiculous stuff, you'll enjoy this game.
    However, if you're looking for a strict, linear, engaging story telling experience, you probably won't enjoy this game. If you're looking for a realistic portrayal of physics and gunplay, you probably won't enjoy this game.
    Personally, I find the game's story to be absurd and insane -- which I feel is the point. I think they wanted to focus more on the content and free-roaming nature and I feel they did a very good job of that and it got me on board with the crazy storyline. The voice acting adds to this ridiculousness, it's almost that they don't want you to take the story seriously, and so that's how I approached it. My personal opinion is the negative reviews this game is receiving are because players are expecting the game to tell them or show them explicitly new and fun things to do, where Just Cause 2 pushes for creativity. Yeah, you could simply walk up to that radio tower and shoot it and be done, but what if you hijacked the helicopter over there, grappled a car to it and used the car as a wrecking ball to smash the tower? Then when your plan falls apart and you accidentally crash the helicopter into the tower instead, you can hop in the car and drive off. You, as the player, have to have some vision in order to see all the potential and fun there is in the game. There's things to collect and upgrade, there's things to destroy, there's semblance of progress, and there is an immense amount of fun all in Just Cause 2, you just have to be open to playing around and trying ridiculous things.
  43. May 10, 2013
    сети.
    Good game but not enough to play multipleera.Hotelos onlain or with friends lokalnoi network.
  44. May 23, 2013
    EPIC GAME! THE GRAPHICS ARE AMAZING ON A WINDOWS 7 LAPTOP, BUT THE WINDOWS VISTA GRAPGICS ARE NOT BAD /NOT PERFECT. I WONDER WHY THE GAME DOESN'T SUPPORT WINDOWS XP?
  45. Jun 26, 2013
    It is a great game though its a little boring.The world is huge,and the graphics are amazing but the story missions are really hard to get but it is a really good game.
  46. Jul 12, 2013
    Just Cause 2 is an amazing game. Tons of fun missions, beautiful explosions, and over 100 different vehicles to find and drive. Although, the game gets very repetitive after you complete all the faction missions and the main story line. I wouldn't say this is a game to play to completion, but very fun until you get to about 40% completion.
  47. Jul 17, 2013
    What can I say, this is an amazing game with fun, easy to learn game-play mechanics. Story is just amazingly stereotypical. The map is not only AMAZINGLY large but the map is also VERY plentiful. The interface is very well laid out with easy to see icons but still out of the way of game-play. And finally, there's the aspect of graphics, I personally think they are AMAZING, no, TERRIFIC. But sadly, I realize that JC2 requires quite a powerful PC to get the full affect of the beauty of this game. So, all-in-all, it's an amazing game but only if you really have the good enough PC and if you have the sense of knowing a good game. Expand
  48. Oct 20, 2013
    The Game is Simply Amazing. Whats Better Than Walking Around With A Grappling Hook And A Parachute. The Makers Of The Game Put Everything That I Want In A Video Game Into This Game. It Also Has A Very Large Map, With Lots Of Missions, Fun Freeplay, And Lots Of Weapons And Vehicles! In My Opinion, You Must Buy This!
  49. Dec 27, 2013
    As an indian man just cause 2 very dissapointed me... My friend from Alaska told me it was an indian simulator but it really doesn't looks like it... I think my blub fish would hate it too... The voice actors sound like my shaved dog! 7 out of ten! because 7 in india means
  50. Jun 30, 2014
    If you want to know WHY you should buy this game,i will explain WHY you should buy this game.This game,worths a lot of try and playtrough since you can never beat the game in some days.

Just Cause 2 Is a great sandbox game with lot of easter eggs you can find and it is so good to be true:Lots of easter eggs is mission places.If you dont want missions,then you can wreck everywhere with
    you awesome weaponry and your vehicles.

I want to tell you about the secrety of the game and its storyline.You are from the Agency,and you are sent to Panau islands to murder their new bad president Pandak ''Baby'' Panay and reveal the secrets of the military.

But your friend from Agency named Tom Sheldon has been lost in the deep of Panau Island but you will never know he was the black market seller until the next mission.

Now,i want to tell you about the Black Market.In Black Market,you will buy and modify weapons and vehicles,and after some missions you will unlock extraction which will extract you to anywhere discovered on Panau but on sight of map.

The Factions.There are 3 factions in tha Panau which are trying to conquer the Panau and they will give you information,money and chaos(See Above) exchange in your services to them.

Lastly,everyone will think is there some way to unlock them or everything is at once?Right.There is a unlock way named Chaos.The most awesome thing in my book.And getting Chaos is not hard.You can complete city,village or millitary bases,destroy military equipment or complete missions to get chaos!

Well,there are a lot more stuff to tell,there are some bugs but are little.So i will give that game 10/10,you must try if you have money!

1. One of the most enjoyable sandboxes for players to experiment in this side of Grand Theft Auto. [Issue#204, p.86]
  2. Just Cause 2 can hardly be called an average game. It's a good one undermined by a selection of mediocre elements, and it's all the more frustrating this time around because Avalanche shows us glimpses of just how much fun two weeks on holiday with Rico should be. [Apr 2010, p.96]
  3. Just Cause 2 is a sequel that outdoes the original with gripping gameplay, exquisite visuals and a variety of missions that will keep you playing longer than you might expect. If you're an action fan, you need this.