7.6

1. Jan 23, 2013
    For those who fell in love with Dear Esther and Another World, this is one of those masterpieces that come up only once in decade. A must have. Stunning visual style and the sense of mystery drives you the whole time. Amazing. Simply outstanding!
  2. Jun 3, 2013
    Kentucky Route Zero is certainly a memorable experience but I simply cannot overlook how absurdly expensive it is. It's a five-act game where the first act can be completed in an hour, and that's if you take your time and explore absolutely everything, so it would be reasonable to assume that you're paying 18 euros for five hours of gameplay and you don't even get all five hours at once. And I'm not sure if the term "gameplay" is even correct here since this is very much an interactive story and it's not obvious if your dialogue choices affect anything at all. It's a fascinating start to what might turn out to be a truly memorable story, but I'd strongly advise waiting until the game is complete and the price is much, much lower. Or you can watch someone else play it and have pretty much the same experience. Collapse
  3. Nov 23, 2013
    I have to disagree with a lot of these other reviewers. With the exception that the art is wonderful, there's just not much to love. At first glance you might want to call the graphics retro, but they aren't. The game is heavily stylized with vector like graphics. Retro-like graphics applies more to games like Sword and Sorcery, Minecraft, or Fez.

I was really ready to get into this,
    just the art would have been enough to hook me. However, now that I have actually played it, there is only 5 or 6 places you can go and look at. Even worse, you can't really explore, the path you take is rigid and uninviting. Two scenes you literally just stand there and stare (the airplane and the car accident). The other scenes are a gas station, a house, and a mine. There is no where else to go but these places. The gas station you can go into the basement, the house you can walk into, the mine has 3 tunnels, but only 1 tunnel has anything particularly interesting in it (creepy music). So with that in mind the graphics just are not much to speak of when they give you so little.

I was almost ready to praise the over view map, but it disappointed me too. It is black and white and is the most retro looking thing in the game. At first I thought it would provide a nonlinear play through but when I went to places the game didn't tell me to go, the game would lock in way that looked like it was still working. Certain events weren't triggering and that caused the game to just freeze with inescapable animation running. This happened 8 times! The first few lock ups I was trying to explore, but after that I gave up and stuck to the course. But it still locked up even when I wasn't trying too hard. At one point I restarted the game, looked at the dog, and clicked on my truck and it locked up. There is a problem when you need to restart twice in less than a minute.

Another issue is the fact that certain places are pure text adventure. It just seems kind of lazy to fall back on this. The game is designed so rigidly that it plays like a text adventure despite the graphics, which gives you that retro feel to it, but only half the scenes are fully modeled the rest are text. You can go to a bait shop, a museum, and a church but it just plays through text. More over, the creepiest things happen at these places. This just makes an incomplete game feel even more incomplete.

The pace was also a pain. For a game that's an hour and a half long, you would think the padding would be at a minimum but no. Moving around is slow. It takes a while to walk anywhere, and driving requires moving through winding roads and is also slow. At one point you ride a rail cart and guess what, it's slow. The house you need to visit has a zigzag path for no apparent reason other than to make you click a few more times and wait. You would think the lethargic pace up to this point would be enough, but your character twists his ankle and has to drag his foot in a now completely apathetic pace. The game has about 15 minutes of content and 75 minutes of waddling to your destination.

The other reviewers seem to find everything creepy. But the story is so short it hardly gave me a chance to be creeped out. There's just not much here. I could spoil every detail in the game in about four sentences. The amount of plot that takes place in the game would barely cover a post it note. You find out about the history of a mine, you find out about the past and problems of two sisters, and you find out the old job of some guy you meet. THAT IS IT. That's the plot. The creepy parts come in with some ghostly things happening and the background audio. But it's all so thinly veiled, I was expecting creepier things to come later, but they never did. If you are looking for creepy, play Year Walk.

The sense of mystery is also non-exist, likely caused by the lack of motivation. You play as a delivery man that's out in the middle of no where looking for a non-existent address. Your character is told to go to another house to get directions. But the directions aren't quite right, so you explore a mine. Then you go to a bait shop, you wonder around for a bit, back to the gas station, then back to the house. Why you did any of this makes no sense. The game seems like it is aiming for a Twin Peaks style, but falls extremely short. If the game wasn't segmented into tiny parts I might of been able to find something I liked.

So there is a few take aways from this review. Don't approach Kentucky Route Zero like a game, it's more of a book that can crash if you don't turn to the right page. Second, be prepared for an extremely short game, shorter than portal, shorter than the Stanley Parable, shorter than Mario Bros when you take that warp pipe to world 8. It's short. Finally, for the most enjoyable experience, just watch a video of someone else playing, because, as some one who has already played it, the player will only get in the way of the story development.
  4. Apr 14, 2013
    I like this game, as it does a good job of creating a haunting atmosphere. Would normally give it an 8 but one thing knocks my score down and that's the choice of how to release the game. 25 bucks for part of a game now, and the rest of the parts later when they get around to releasing them. Really? I bought it because I figured each act would be long enough to suffice paying such a price point but I guess I was the fool. Act 1 only takes about 2 hours. It's a cool game but I would recommend waiting for more of the parts to release before purchasing it. Expand
  5. Jan 2, 2014
    A big capital M *Meh*.

Sure it's an indie game so it has a small budget, but can't you at least give it some voice over? The Stanley Parable showed us just how good voice over can be in a low budget game.

Sure it's dark an gloomy.... so what, what game isn't these days? Don't just make your game dark and gloomy and expect it to be an instant success.... that's just insulting.

So we explore some settings, we discover some new locations with our truck.... Oh Whoopie Doo....

I honestly don't see what's so special about this game and why people like it so much. The Stanley Parable or The Swapper are infinitely more deserving of our praise.
  6. Mar 6, 2013
    First act was rather short but extremely fascinating. The overall atmosphere of the game and the creepiness you feel every time is making the game worth a shot.
  7. Feb 16, 2014
    The first two acts of the game are fairly good. The artistic style is unique. The story and flavor is interesting. There is a real sense of mystery to the game. That's up until you finish act II. Where are acts III through V? If you believe the developers at this point, they're putting a great deal of effort into making act III so much more than the previous two acts.

It's starting to
    feel like a long series of excuses from these developers as to why they aren't delivering the promised other three acts. I could be wrong and they might be making something great and I just need to give them more time, but right now, I feel like I've been scammed. Because of this experience, I will never pay for a game before it is delivered ever again. I'm actually kind of grateful to these guys because it stopped me from buying into any Steam Early Access games as well. Expand
  8. Feb 4, 2013
    The first act is rather short, but it definitely grabbed my attention. The eerie atmosphere blends well with the art style and odd dialogue. I enjoyed the mode of transportation they implemented as well.
  9. Feb 9, 2013
    Short, good and not pretentious. This adventure is made of very good writing and some interesting literary mechanics. Also a great comeback for the "movement on a map" style which was very popular in early RPGs and simulated a certain kind of freedom with limited means.
  10. Mar 24, 2013
    It's more a point & click play through video than a game. Incredibly short, i finished it in one 2.5 hour train ride. That said, it was intensely interesting and created a realistically creepy feel. Well done, but the lack of real choice or length of play took what could have been a 10 down to a 6 fo rme.
  11. Jan 5, 2014
    why i allways believe hype and hurry buy what they push at my face. i the vector graphics become boring and the moving dont feel free and is too clumsy to enjoy, i really dont see reason to pay this form of price for such.
  12. May 11, 2013
    Kentucky Route Zero is a weird and wonderful point-and-click adventure game that will leave you thinking long after you've stopped playing. Its unique and iconic art direction, coupled with a narrative that is intriguing and fresh, make it a game unlike any other.

Like To the Moon, and like Thirty Flights of Loving, it places significant emphasis on plot and storytelling, and the result
    is a first act that leaves the player reflecting on all the events that just happened and what they mean. There isn't much in the way of actual gameplay, although the point-and-click elements play a large role in fleshing out the character of Conrad; the story is told mainly from his point of view.

Kentucky Route Zero is not for everyone; that much is certain. Its strange narrative, point-and-click mechanics and lack of any sort of traditional gameplay makes it appear intimidating at first glance. Yet the game is so well-made, with such detail in its presentation and sound design, that it proves impossible not to be swept up in its magical tale. If you have any interest at all in games as a narrative medium, you owe it to yourself to play Kentucky Route Zero.
  13. Jun 4, 2014
    Beautiful graphics but interesting font choice, which makes the game look like it's unfinished. The game play is incredibly boring. Never ending conversations between characters. I spent more time choosing conversation topics then playing any puzzles. I couldn't even finish it.
  14. May 29, 2013
    I am not much of one for retro art... but that's not what this lofi adventure game offers. It is abstract only to give your imagination room to breathe, to fill in the visual details to match the lovely ambient sound, to wonder what might lay between the points on the darkened map... it has the feel of a trusted friend motioning you over and with hushed breath saying "Want to see something really special..." Expand
  15. Mar 19, 2013
    Indie for a reason- this game would have never existed but for a brave, minute dev team and its kickstarter funds. In a world where the mundane and profane overlap, KY0 brings out the poetry and unique advantage video game mechanics have to tell a story. Indeed as fellow users have commented reminiscent of Another World, this game is much more, can't wait for the next episodes (bought season pass right away). An effort well worth supporting, as its definitely a unique blend of art, adventure and poetry. Expand
  16. Jul 23, 2014
    Bizarre and surreal. SCORE: 85/100.

This is not The Walking Dead or Wolf Among Us, and neither is it Broken Age or Grim Fandango. It is its own thing, and it does a remarkable job at that. It starts off rather mundanely, but steadily gets weirder and more abstract as it goes. Time and space come in to play in odd ways and you will often be confused, but not irritatingly so.

This is a
    strange game, but certainly worth your time and money to play. Expand
  17. Jun 17, 2014
    I don't understand how this game series get scores so high. It's bad, just plain bad. I love usual point&click adventure games, but this isn't one. The dialogues are just people speaking rubbish sentences that don't even make sense. There's no plot at all except that you have to find a "route" and you encounter people in the scenes. No puzzles, no nothing. The graphics are great for when you enter a new scenes but that's about it. I was wondering how a game could invest so much in these scenes transition animations without having a game in itself. Expand
  18. Apr 1, 2013
    The old style graphics are well done and it looks great. Very reminiscent of the old style point and click adventure games I used to play too many years ago. The sound is fabulous. Unfortunately the first act is VERY short, completed it in 80 minutes. Perhaps I didn't venture off the beaten path enough. There was simply not enough substance to give it higher than an 8.
  19. Sep 5, 2014
    One of the games that can't be really compared with games from big studios.
    For an Indie game I'd give it 9/10, but if put in a list together with 2013 games like Bioshock or FarCry3 6/10 is generous.
    Positive: cool, mysterious art design and story. Negative: buying and installing this game might take more time than playing it. Game would really benefit from voice-over.
  20. Jun 3, 2013

1. May 13, 2013
    Kentucky Route Zero is basically a simple adventure game, but it's so achingly well put-together that it really becomes an experience like no other. Can't wait for the rest of the episodes! [May 2013]
  2. May 7, 2013
    Inspired by traditional point’n’click games, Kentucky Route Zero steers clear of puzzles, picking up objects and using everything on everything else. Instead it offers a distinct mood comparable to Alan Wake. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.75]
  3. May 6, 2013
    If you’re not into art house video games, steer clear of Kentucky Route Zero. And even if you’re always first in line to try some weird experience, wait until they release the remaining acts. Right now, it’s hard to say what this is: a breakthrough or a hyped-up bubble.