6.5

1. Aug 29, 2012
    Excellent game, interesting and engaging up until the last 10% of the game.

It has a weak ending, but up until then its atmospheric and exciting.

The battle system could use some work, though I definitely enjoy it more than Total War. It could use a bit more conquest and diplomacy.
  2. May 24, 2013
    Arthur II tries to make a narrative for a story-driven fantasy game, and it does so fantastically! If you wanna enjoy this game you cannot expect the freedom of action that you have in the Total War series. The game expands as you progress through it, and the payoff is a good story and a world that feels more alive. When playing along with the constraints the design-choices puts on my game-play, this game shines like nothing I've played before! Expand
  3. Jan 27, 2012
    Innovative and fun strategy game with an interesting mixture of role-playing elements. Adored the concept, and its implementation.

On campaign map it reminds me Disciples 2, which was a true gem. Battles are very much Total War like. If you like epic style Lord of the Rings theme games, you will probably adore it.

The graphics are stunning, both on campaign and battle level. The
    music is a pleasure for the ears. Nevertheless, performance issues have been reported for not high-end specs users. Overall the game is quite polished, but has some minor bugs. However, the designer team worked pretty hard so far on the feedback received from the community.

I would also like to praise the AI of the battle engine of the game. The enemy cavalry beautifully performed flanking attacks chasing my archers away from behind of the bulk of my army.

I have decided to give this a 10, predominantly for its innovative spirit, captivating environment and story-telling. Please note that this review is based on the dead legions version of the game.
  4. Feb 8, 2012
    It is good, but the first was better. I give for it a 9, becouse it was made by hungariens! It is good, but the first was better. I give for it a 9, becouse it was made by hungariens!
  5. Mar 3, 2012
    Personally, I thought it was a very good game. I can't understand some people's reactions. It felt to me like they'd improved every aspect of KA1 and wrapped it up in a nicer package. The graphics are wonderful, the level of detail and zoom you're able to do is interesting, the UI was overhauled, the RPG elements are by far more interesting, and the level of aerial threat, while not anything new, added a nice new layer of tactical intelligence. It's certainly not the greatest game of the year, but I strongly enjoyed it. Expand
  6. Feb 28, 2013
    Excellent, story telling game I loved every minute. and after final patch, everything is working for my friends (I had no issues even before). Strategy could be deeper, but it is not that kind of game. this one actualy sets up the new genre. I love DLC even better then game (Love Roman times).
  7. Jan 29, 2012
    I liked KA1 and I like KA2. This game is a mixture of RPG elements like Text adventures and Heroes with skill trees with total war like strategy elements. In fact Shogun total war took some elements from King arthur 1 like victory locations or customisable heroes (altough the skills matter more and heroes have a more vital role in King Arthur). The Province management from KA1 has been reduced, but the game got a beatiful diplomatic system. The game balance seems to work well, and unit and Skill trees are well designed.
    There are however also bad things to say. Some users have performance troubles even on strong PC's (on other users PC the performance works fine). There have also been some bugs and I had some system crashes. This is the reason why I give it a 9/10 instead of a 10/10. I hope patches will fix that, at the game itself I have little to criticize.
  8. Jan 30, 2012
    Great game with many improvements. I love the quests, they are well-written and fun, now there's a voice over on every single quest which is really helpful as I don't really like reading that much and I really like how the guys expanded the diplomacy options since the first game. Now you can choose from many different alternatives and it definitely adds to the game. The battles feel a lot more balanced and you are not forced anymore to take those locations on the maps, it is still worth it though because they can give you really cool spells like Lightning Bolt or Crystal Shards or they can boost your shield and protect you. I especially like the flying beasts and the new magic shield and that I can break enemy spells. My biggest issue with the first game was that the enemy hero could kill my strongest unit in no time with a good spell, but now I can boost my shield and it does not happen again if I pay attention. So I really like the game and I think it is fun. It still has a couple of bugs though, so I can't give it a 10 yet, but nothing that can't be patched in the next few weeks and it is still fun even with those around. Expand
  9. Feb 3, 2012
    I never played King Arthur but read lots of positive reviews about it so I picked up King Arthur II. I didn't know what to expect and first I was a bit confused about the rpg mixture but it turned out to be a very pleasant surprise for me. I definitely liked the great graphics and the atmosphere. And I loved the text-based adventures as well, it was like a blast from the past, only spiced up with pictures and voiceovers. The hero development is fun to explore, you can upgrade your heroes like in an RPG and it sure feels like they are growing in strength. I was interested in the battles and I was satisfied, the battlefields look fab and they are huge, there were lots of tactical possibilities and I think there is still plenty to it to discover later when I choose different strategies and bring different units. Anyway, it gives you the impression of being in the middle of a fantasy battle with spells and monsters. My only problem is that it's still a bit buggy but I guess these will be fixed with the upcoming patches. All in all a good game, worth trying despite the minor flaws. Expand
  10. Dec 15, 2012
    This is easily one of the most under-rated games I've had the pleasure to play. All in all, this is a really impressive game and I'm sad that I let the negative reviews on metacritic stop me from buying it earlier. It's an absolute gem, that strongly built on the first game in every way.

I found the huge number of heroes and different paths to take their skills really quite enjoyable.
    Then there are the vast number of magical items you can find, craft or buy. The effect on the battlefield is substanital.

The battles are simply gorgeous, with easily the best graphics I've seen in this style of game. The landscapes play a good role in the game, but more could have been made of these interesting maps. There is much more detail on them than in Total War.

There is a decent mix of units and cavalry charges are working nicely. There are some interesting choices to be made on how you upgrade your units as well, as you can't do everything!

The diplomacy was a nice twist, not hugely complex, but yet more choices on how to customise your units, recruit unique ones, or gain other effects.

The story was solid and drove the game well all the way to the end. The campaign map is much bigger than in the first game and boats a deal more complexity in gameplay as well.

Research is similar to the first but upgrading buidlings is far more decentralised, it's not just at your strongholds that you need to do this.

The game did crash a few times for me, but I didn't find it really hindered things, it was just a case of replaying the odd battle. Yes, this was frustrating but I found the battles fun so no big issue.

1. Apr 5, 2012
    An intriguing idea that the franchise is yet to live up to. [Apr 2012, p.64]
    A nice mix of strategy and RPG starts slowly and suffers from linearity but it has its charm and lasts for hours. [March 2012]
  3. Mar 21, 2012
    It's light on the strategy, but an intriguing dark fantasy tale and RPG elements lift King Arthur II above the average. [May 2012, p.76]