5.9

1. Sep 4, 2013
    Micro-transactions ruin what may have been a fun little trip down memory lane. The intrusive nickel-and-dime cash shop reminds the player that they are not, in fact, playing a game from good old days, but are fully stuck in today's world, where gamers may no longer enjoy a complete product at the time of purchase.
  2. Jun 25, 2013
    I was very sceptic about another "modern old-school" project at first but after a couple of minutes I found myself completely absorbed into the game! Funny dialogues, colourful characters and the simplicity of a game make up a very interesting experience as a whole. Only thing I could complain about is the music, it gets repetitive after some time, other than that I consider Knights of Pen & Paper to be an excellent adventure for long hours. Expand
  3. Sep 23, 2013
    The problem with Knights of Pen & Paper +1 edition isn't microtransactions, as mentioned by reviewer Type4101, since the implementation of being able to buy extra stuff in-game is purely, purely optional, and in no way does the game ever force you or make you feel you need to part with your cash to progress within the game.

However, the inclusion of a store is puzzling considering how
    little affect it has. God forbid the type of player that would buy stuff in-game, I can't begin to imagine the sort that would. Regardless, the developers must have been a tad bit overzealous to include such a thing knowing that they would receive little to none income from it. This was a mistake on their part; from a marketing and design viewpoint.

But enough of that, as I said already, the microtransactions within the game are pointless. As I said earlier; the problem isn't this. The real problem is the game not taking itself serious for a PC platform.

This game was originally designed as a mobile app/tablet game. It suits that environment very well as a quickplay sort of game.. However, marketing for the PC is a different ballgame altogether and the dev's have utterly failed in their quest to win the hearts of PC gamers, as evident by majority of reviews.

The 1+ edition has alwasy been marketed as a pen & paper rpg for pen & paper fans; and here lies the problem. Despite all the hype, the 1+ edition is little more than a few bells and whistles attatched onto the original game and brings no real changes to the PC nor does it in anyway entice P&P players (like myself) to buy this game (reviewing this game based on a copy I played on a friends PC, and no I didn't pirate it!).

The game features crammy hammy dialogue that for one, isn't remotely funny, nor is it common enough to even earn the hype that this game has been given for the suppose banter that takes place. Hardly any banter takes place between your fellow NPC players, and when it does take place its over in a second and you could hardly call it banter. This would be my main complaint about the game, the lack of any real comedy value (and not the *overly slapstick can't take myself seriously enough comedy*) or banter between any of the npcs or any meaningful quests creates an incredibly repetitive dull experience that only the most blinded faithful consumers could love.

The only positive thing I can say about this game, which isn't much, is the pixel art and backgrounds. They are a joy to behold, but sadly a game doesn't win on just art alone. The game is surely lacking in a lot of area's including customisation in which there hardly is any. Want to name a NPC at your table? Well, you can't! Want to create your own? Well, you can't!

Enough. If you want a dull repetitive experience; buy the game.
  4. Nov 27, 2013
    I don't get the low reviews of this game, yeah you can make micro transactions, but there is no reason to as you can simply farm the gold off monsters.
    There is a lot of cool ideas in this game, the ability to pick your battles, add varied classes and players, the enhancements you can make to the room that add bonuses. The story is a bit weak, which is to bad, but I've had a lot of fun
    playing nonetheless. Expand
  5. Sep 26, 2013
    The shameless micro transactions do a good job of putting a cap on the fun. Blacksmiths cost a minimum of 150 to upgrade equipment with an extremely high chance of failing and after you've failed enough the game prompts you to purchase more gold. Why include micro transactions in a game that already costs $9.99? I can't recommend this to anyone.
  6. Oct 25, 2013
    Its one of the best games that i have ever played. But it needs a MP and some more levels. I would give it a chance its a great game for IOS and Steam but is better on IOS just saying
  7. Dec 30, 2013
    Microtransactions don't ruin the game, but the mechanics in place that encourage F2P buyers to purchase gold do. After level 20, there's really no new mechanics to find and battling enemies consists of hitting the same buttons over and over again with little thought involved. Another problem I have is towards the end of the game the game heavily relies on fetch quests which feel as if they're nothing more than filler, the last two or so hours consist of just repetitive filler quests with hammy dialogue that isn't entertaining.

Don't get me wrong the game starts out pretty neat and the battles are entertaining. The filler missions though are unacceptable and compounded with the lack of late game mechanics the game's hard to recommend.
  8. Aug 3, 2014
    Knights of Pen and Paper +1 is a “roleplaying game”, but in truth it has very little roleplaying in it; while this is common to many “RPGs,” this game takes it to an all-new level. The conceit behind the game is that you are sitting at a table with your game master with a group of friends, and that you are going through a campaign. The players are indeed all seated around a table, with the game master on the far side of the table dictating what is going on. It is a very clever idea, but unfortunately the game fails to execute on it at all; instead, the game is a pure hack-and-slash fest which tries to spice things up with humor and gaming references but falls flat because, quite frankly, everyone sitting around a table has already not only made all of these references, but done it better. The plot is every bad game of D&D you've ever played, every unoriginal campaign rolled into one, and it is played straight - sure, one could argue that it is almost comically bad, but it is painfully bad, like Batman and Robin, rather than camp.

As the gameplay itself is thoroughly hack and slash, purely about cutting your way through an extremely large number of monsters using extremely simplistic turn-based combat reminiscent of many JRPGs, with no real coherent or interesting story to speak of, there is little to recommend this game as anything but a time waster, and even there, you can do far better. There's nothing that this game doesn't show you in the first hour, and there's nothing in that first hour worth taking. While the basic underlying idea of having a bunch of players playing a roleplaying game is an interesting one, this game is a total failure at it. Maybe someday, someone will take this idea and do something good with it, but this is not that game.
  9. Jan 22, 2014
    So I saw this on a Steam sale, and it was really cheap. So, I didn't do what I normally do, which is check the metacritic. Big Mistake. Turns out this is little more than a UI for paying money. I had thought the idea cool, and was enjoying it -- until I saw "buy more gold". I had a sinking feeling in my gut. I clicked on it and.. yes, there it is. $10 to buy gold.

So, I recommend buying
    this game if you want to have a pixelleted away of spending money for no good reason. Expand
  10. Apr 23, 2014
    Pixel art is horribly cliche, and you'd think a studio of 20-30 people could do better, but "not trying" sums up the game developers' approach.

The first half-hour of the game is pretty fun. After that, it's extremely repetitive. You eventually realize that the developers actually think that "travel to X and deliver Y to Z" and "fight the same enemies for the 4th time in a row" are good
    gameplay. Expand
  11. Apr 17, 2014
    It's really addictive. I don't get why people complain about "microtransactions". You can buy everything in the game with ingame-money. You can level up a lot with a butt-load of different characters. It has a good humour and has really good adventurous old school game-feeling to it.
    It's a pretty good game for your buck. Especially if you are into P&P or RPGs. Check it out.
  12. Oct 19, 2013
    Loaded with skeevy microtransactions; gameplay seems designed around forcing people who have already bought the game to spend more money on bonuses simply to make it playable. Avoid avoid avoid.
  13. Nov 5, 2013
    You don't need to buy gold just buy 4x blacksmith rings from an equipment shop lvl 16. Equip each character with 4 before buying anything from smith drops price by 80% for another 10% off buy the shield in the shop for 200g. Reequip character with gear after you upgrade from smith then rinse repeat simple.
  14. Nov 24, 2013
    Let me start at the end this time, and say that this game offers quite a few hours of fun, but that's about it.
    I'm all about the nostalgic and indie feel that the game offers, but it looks like the developers took it way too far. Knight Of Pen And Paper +1" is a simplistic example of taking a trendy formula, and trying to milk it until it dries.

Generally, I can live with a lack of
    eye-candy and with a simple battles formula, but c'mon! This is a pure attempt to disguise laziness as "Indie and nostalgic"! Add to that the in-game invitations to use real money on "gold" to spend in the game, and you get pure greed.

While I did enjoy playing this game, I never bothered to finish the campaign, and I doubt I ever will. I can't remember how much I paid for this game, but in retrospect, I wouldn't pay more than $5 for it, and I'm not even sure it's worth that much.
  15. Nov 22, 2013
    i am rating this game ow for a reason. I played and enjoyed this game for a while bu then something happened.I played the game like normal and all of a sudden, i join a battle and i cant do anything butt watch the characters use their normal attacks. i could not even bring up any menus for spells. If you know how to fix this my Steam name it thaoyllloyr please help i want to play and ENJOY this game Expand
  16. Feb 12, 2014
    Yes this game features microtransactions, but in no way is the game hindered by it. You can pay to avoid grinding for gold and XP like you would in classic RPGs, but ultimately, buying gold through these transactions only hinders your progress. Sure you can upgrade your armor and weapons faster, but without grinding for XP, your characters are weaker than those would farmed monsters. I think this game is great for a casual game. If you're just in the mood to click around for 15, 20 minutes, level up some characters, and go about your day, this game is for you. Plus, it's pretty funny! Expand

1. Oct 19, 2014
    Knights of Pen and Paper is a sweet little throwback to the days of pen and paper gaming, but its simple approach may not be enough to entice every RPGamer. Yes, the combat is simplistic, but it's fast and easy to roll with.
  2. Aug 28, 2013
    A well-executed joyful game with entertaining battle system and ton of humour. However, it's "just" about those entertaining battles. Therefore, the biggest alarm here is its stereotype.
  3. Aug 2, 2013
    Works better in small doses on touchscreen. After a couple of hours on PC it becomes repetitive and boring. [CD-Action 09/2013, p.69]