Knock-knock PC

8.3

1. Oct 10, 2013
    Discovering the game mechanics is fun, the overall atmosphere is dream-like and spooky. What this game is about is more or less up to the players interpretation, but one thing is sure: this is the type of game that tries to reach out to the player. In my opinion this game is about how the brain defends the ego against the horrors of reality. But as always, there are things that come outDiscovering the game mechanics is fun, the overall atmosphere is dream-like and spooky. What this game is about is more or less up to the players interpretation, but one thing is sure: this is the type of game that tries to reach out to the player. In my opinion this game is about how the brain defends the ego against the horrors of reality. But as always, there are things that come out only when it's dark. Expand
  2. Oct 14, 2013
    Glad to see there are developers who bring new ideas and concepts to a horror game. The game play mechanic is simple, but it is really fun to watch the haunted house gradually changing and past history of player and the house is gradually revealed via exploration.

I really like their use of CG, speech, exploration, and diary pages etc. to reveal the story, which integrate smoothly with the game play. The art style is great and really help to develop a creepy and strange atmosphere.

A hint to a reviewer complaining monster AI: you need to understand the story and hints provided to you during your game play, logic won't work in a haunted and strange environment.

I give this a 10 because this gives me a new experience of horror game, which doesn't rely on jump-scary or monsters with terrible look.

If there are developers watching here, here are my words to you. You guys just rock, please consider bringing more new ideas towards horror game. Many gamers are already bored with the old-fashioned style of horror game.
  3. Oct 21, 2013
    Knock-Knock is the proof that video games really can be an art. It is a very deep and complicated game. It is not a horror nor a puzzle game, and critics who blame the game for not being scary or something like that have completely missed the point. Knock-Knock doesn't just tell you a story, it plays with your mind and asks YOU the questions.
  4. Nov 17, 2013
    Incredible atmosphere, excellent art-design, short gameplay and some questionable game design decisions. That's Knock-Knock for me. If you're a member of the "COD-audience", steer clear, otherwise it's highly recommended.
  5. Oct 11, 2013
    Another masterpiece from Ice-Pick Lodge developers. Don't get fooled by cartoon graphics or seems-to-be-simple gameplay. It will take some time to understand what's going on there. It's not a traditional game, more of an experiment. Just be ready to confront your fears.
  6. Oct 11, 2013
    Knock-Knock is full of surprises. First of all, despite its cartoon 2D graphics Knock-Knock is actually one of the best horror games I ever played. The best part of the game is learning how to play it by yourself. Try not to read any spoilers before playing. Wait for the night and put on your headphones. Get ready to submerge into the atmosphere of suspense and uncertain terror. Enjoy itsKnock-Knock is full of surprises. First of all, despite its cartoon 2D graphics Knock-Knock is actually one of the best horror games I ever played. The best part of the game is learning how to play it by yourself. Try not to read any spoilers before playing. Wait for the night and put on your headphones. Get ready to submerge into the atmosphere of suspense and uncertain terror. Enjoy its visual and sound design. I certainly recommend this game to everyone who likes mystery and challenge.
    All in all bravo, Ice-Pick Lodge!
  7. Oct 12, 2013
    Very scary piece of artful gaming.

Like every game Ice-Pick Lodge has made, this game will not be for everyone. You will either love it or not have a clue how anyone could. I belong to the first group. Ice-Pick Lodge delivers precisely what they promised and I was personally very scared by the way the game delivers it's creepy story. It's not a big game nor a very complicated one,
    Very scary piece of artful gaming.

Ice-Pick Lodge delivers precisely what they promised and I was personally very scared by the way the game delivers it's creepy story. It's not a big game nor a very complicated one, but it slowly creeps up on you and makes you fear the dark corners of your own home.

Maybe, just maybe, you aren't alone right now when was the last time you looked behind you...

Play it in the dark and play it alone.
  8. Oct 11, 2013
    Knock-knock is one of those games that rejuvenates your hope fore PC gaming. As indie as they come, Knock-knock is keen on playing the player just as much as the player plays the game. There are rules to be sure, but part of the game is figuring them out as you play along. There is a story and setting too, but again, it is up to you to figure out what is going on.

If you are impatient

If you are impatient or want to be spoon-fed a plot and gameplay—move on. If you want an intriguing mystery and atmospheric tale, give Knock-knock a try.
  9. Oct 15, 2013
    This is a great project that can not be called "the game" as such. It's an experiment in which you have to take part himself, through the character, coming up with their own versions of events. I sponsored the game even during Kickstarter, and do not regret the money spent.
  10. Nov 14, 2013
    Do, NOT listen to the critics. They don't see the seer genius this "game" has to over. Wait, this isn't really a game...It's an experience. An out-of-body experience. The game is full of hidden meanings, subtleties and overall pure mindf**kery. The game mechanics, if you can call them that, are subliminally messaged to you. So after a while you know how to play the game, without knowingDo, NOT listen to the critics. They don't see the seer genius this "game" has to over. Wait, this isn't really a game...It's an experience. An out-of-body experience. The game is full of hidden meanings, subtleties and overall pure mindf**kery. The game mechanics, if you can call them that, are subliminally messaged to you. So after a while you know how to play the game, without knowing how to play the game. Strange isn't it? The game has an achievement making a reference to Twin Peaks which in it self is awesome. The game is ridiculously atmospheric and creepy. The main character who's name is unknown, is a housekeeper of sorts. Or you could call him a caretaker, of the sorts. Being a caretaker he has to stay up ALL night. This is not good for the human mind. The Caretaker (that's his name now.) starts seeing things, things that aren't actually there. But that's the catch, they, are not, there. They are fake. If you see one, it disappears. It never existed. Or did it? Maybe so, maybe not. The game is entirely based around perception. How do you see the game? Instead of me telling you what it is, you have to "experience" it for yourself. Make up your own idea of what the hell is going on here. They night visions are coming. Prepare yourself, stay awake until dawn. Stay sane. And whatever you do. DO NOT APPROACH THE GIRL IN THE CORNER!!! I REPEAT, DO, NOT, APPROACH, HER. Knock Knock. Who's there? ...............................................................................................................................................................You. Expand
  11. Nov 15, 2013
    Its good russian game.
    bad critics.
    the best indi game eva 2013
    i know and yor ask tell know this the best game indi game
    no its fun game yes its fun game
  12. May 13, 2014
    Knock-Knock, what I serious masterpiece here... I loved it, I don't know that much about the story, but I love the character and his talking, funny and interpretable what he says and the notes you found all over. Also I screwed it because I think I didn't find all the notes, but men what a trip. It is beautiful artisticly, it has a beautiful atmosphere, and also it has a nice at least funKnock-Knock, what I serious masterpiece here... I loved it, I don't know that much about the story, but I love the character and his talking, funny and interpretable what he says and the notes you found all over. Also I screwed it because I think I didn't find all the notes, but men what a trip. It is beautiful artisticly, it has a beautiful atmosphere, and also it has a nice at least fun strategy, haha I hope I'm not the only one who was going up and down trying to save his ass ah? You have to start really quick and scared before enemies come to not lose suddenly, you have time but then the enemies you encounter are rather random, but that is one of many attractives on the game. It is a conceptual game and also it has unique mechanics, for me this was one of the greatest experiences ever in videogames. I just have fun, a lot of fun, I really love art and this was a very nice special game, also I have to play it all over again because I could say I didn't win, because this game has something I was missing, the clock-head. Knock-Knock 9.8 Expand
  13. Sep 24, 2014
    I think this game is impressive. It is full of surprise and its can be scary to. It will be best seller and i have greetings for all persons with see in this game something very good. It never make me bored and it was very exciting to explore all of secrets. Very good game. But i think i must agree it's can be hard to understand at first.
  14. May 1, 2016
    Atmospheric, gorgeous and intense, I absolutely love this game!! It's amazing, it really sucks you in, one of a kind unique experience hehe ^^ Pick this one up already if you haven't!
  15. Jan 26, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is not for everyone.
    First of all, this game is for the patient.
    - For the first 1 or 2 hours you won't even know what is going on, how the mechanics work, what triggers what. After a while you will figure it out, but only after a long time (or if you read a guide) will it be crystal clear what to do exactly.
    - There won't be real action. You go around, searching, fixing lights. Maybe there will be close situations, but usually after you understood the mechanics.

Second: It's for people with imagination.
    - Secrets, hidden things, notes are all around the game, but the story will never reveal itself completely. What is reality, what is imaginary, when the character dreams, you have to figure out a theory for yourself.
    - The game is full of fridge horror. Reading the diary pages really gives a plus, and you have to think about it to get you. Jump-scares won't really happen, (except when you run into a guest) the horror comes from the atmosphere and the suspense. Your own mind will scare you, but for that, you have to get into the game.

So to summarize: this game won't give himself on a plate, you have to get into it, get into the mood and work for it to really appreciate it, and that is not for everyone.

1. Dec 26, 2013
    Knock-Knock could have been amazing; with a slightly different outcome on that early night, and if the mystery gets its hooks in before the mechanics start souring the experience, it could have been a tense nail-biter. As it happened, I got fed up with Knock-Knock long before its secrets surfaced, and I was happier to break the game than to continue playing along.
  2. Dec 13, 2013
    Boredom, not ghosts, is your worst enemy in Knock-knock.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Nov 25, 2013
    A dread-drenched take on hide-and-seek which will mesmerise some, and alienate most. [December 2013, p.80]