7.2

1. Jun 12, 2012
    Been playing since beta. Really fun, squad oriented ARPG with beautiful graphics. Just make sure you have Windows Vista or 7. It's a DX11/10 only game. It's really hardcore too.
  2. Jun 13, 2012
    The game looks really good. The gameplay takes a while to grow accustomed to, but it gets fun after like 2 hours of using it. Only down side is the game takes a while to pick up with customization, but it does get there.
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    Great top-down ARPG, to me it feels a little like a cross between diablo / torchlight and baldurs gate. The title is surprisingly polished considering it has come from an indie developer and some of the larger devs out there could do with taking note of how this team has not hidden away their product before release and has taken onboard player feedback during its development (I very much liked the fact that pre-order players got access to the game in its beta stages). Even now the devs are working on further polishing the game, adding content and developing an on-line co-op mode. considering the low price of this game (£11.99 on steam) you are getting a lot of content (I believe 30-50 hours for a play-through) and a game that gives many full-price titles a run for their money. This year has seen some impressive indie releases and this is definitely one of the best of them. Expand
  4. Jun 14, 2012
    I'm thoroughly enjoying Krater. It hails from the same dungeons as Diablo II and Baldur's Gate II but brings it forth into the new generation of games. The soundtrack is brilliant, there's elements of Vangelis in there from Blade Runner and quite a lot of (I'm assuming the developers favourite) Swedish artists on there too playing in the Bars and towns, it sets the atmosphere brilliantly. It can feel a little grindy, especially when your characters just died in a dungeon and you need to recruit and train up new ones, but aside from that, the game is fun, light hearted and epic all rolled into one. I'm looking forward to seeing some more of the game in my next play. Expand
  5. Jun 16, 2012
    This game is enjoyable to say the least. It's unique and refreshing in a game genre that is flustered with generic copies. The take on this game, in a nutshell, is akin to a hack-n-slash but with various elements that you don't normally see in the genre. For example, a large roster of characters to play from, an interesting, to say the least, crafting system, and a pleasant not so often setting. I'm actually surprised by the 'professional reviewers' who reviewed this game because this game is fun. For those who enjoy Diablo style hack-n-slash, borderlands art style, and the original fallout's traveling system. For those who would enjoy a combination of these elements, ignore the naysayers. Expand
  6. Jun 12, 2012
    I bought this some time ago and have played it in beta. The game is great and if you like games such as Fallout/Diablo/Xcom, this is something to check out.
  7. Jun 14, 2012
    A refreshing game-- refreshingly vibrant post-apoc setting, refreshingly "mercenary" take on ARPG character development conventions, and refreshingly challenging compared to a few other ARPGs I could name.
  8. Jun 12, 2012
    This is everything good that DIablo 3 is not. It has both online and offline play, but it doesn't force you to always stay online (you can play it fine without an internet connection). The game promises that it can merge your offline play character to an online play mode. First impression after playing a few minutes of the game: "How the frak can a game that cost me 15 USD look so freaking gorgeous!". Seriously, this is one of the best looking games in this genre. I was so amazed that I can actually rotate the scenes and zoom them in. The controls are awesome as well, and there's a promise of an intriguing story - not the tired uninspired trash Blizzard fed us with D3. I haven't gotten more than 15 minutes into this game and I'll probably update the rating/review as I go along but gaddamn - buy this game already! It is SO worth it! Expand
  9. Jun 12, 2012
    I was interested in this game for the entire time it has been on Steam, I entered in the beta, loved it. Now that it is released I'm very glad to say that it is awesome. It delivers in every single way possible, great for classic CRPG lovers. Its art style is very unique, and adds a certain flavor and mood that you'll always cherish. A very memorable game, with fun gameplay and elaborate areas to explore that all have a purpose in the game's "fun" factor. I highly recommend getting this top-down open-world role-playing epic. Expand
  10. Jun 13, 2012
    Great atmosphere and such a unique apocalyptic setting makes this a joy to play. Some nice humour and funny one liners from the characters. Add in great graphics and sound, especially the music, and you have Krater - an awesome action RPG! Well done Fatshark!
  11. Jun 15, 2012
    Hailing from Swedish Developer, Fatshark, Krater is one of those games that is assumed to fall into the category of arpgs that merely take concepts from the Diablo series and repeats it without adding anything new. Fortunately, it does more than copy something that works. Rather, Krater mixes ARPG with the tactical prowess of RTS games by having the player control 3 squad members at once. This aspect of the game brings forth interesting scenarios by mixing up the squad between 4 classes and 2 races. General Points:

- For a $15 game, Krater deserves a good look, with content that reaches up to 40+ hours of game time with only a single playthrough, which says a lot about the game in terms of replay-ability. This does not yet include the heavy amounts of loot and squad permutations in the current build of the game.

Gameplay:

-While the game falls short on certain areas like characters only having 2 skills and a release that feels rather rushed, they are all justifiable negatives that weaves along the game to create a different experience from what most people are accustomed to when it comes to playing the more 'traditional' ARPGs.

-Characters only having 2 skills is due to having 3 units at once, summing it up to 6 per squad. Each skill can also be customized through the use of skill boosters as characters unlock more ranks. These boosters can affect each skill differently, and the amount of variety of skill customization is plenty enough to encourage players to experiment. A regulator (ranged character) may have an area of effect slow that can also heal allies inside of it, or perhaps one that damages enemies on top of slowing them. It can even buff allies with defense boosts or damage boosts, or a mixture of all three. - Admittedly, the game does feel unfinished with the lack of online multiplayer and a lack of settings options. The game's release day was mostly a success, with isolated bugs and problems that plagued an extreme minority of the player base, and even then, patches were released 2-3 days after with added sound settings and bug fixes, showing the developer's commitment to creating and improving an amazing game with great potential. -Considering the game comes from an indie developer, Krater's design structure feels looser when compared to other AAA titles. This means that Fatshark treats the game more like a Free-to-play than an end product by constantly improving it with the help and feedback from it the community with the promise of more free and paid content coming soon.

- The traveling aspect of the game also feels reminiscent of other rpg games that involves moving around a world map with random encounters. While it may feel slow at times, it does give players a scope of how large the world is, and will be (when the next 2 parts are released). This allows for an impressive perspective that games like Diablo 3 lack. It shows the players what and how much can be explored whilst allowing for the freedom to go where ever the player wants to go, even at the beginning of the game(Including the risks of encountering high threat level monsters). Dungeons are not constrained by having to play through the story in a linear fashion, and the map randomization keeps dungeon crawling fresh.

Presentation:

- Graphics are beautiful and can be run even with half decent hardware. The art style and the presentation of Krater is both humorous and attractive. The populous wearing gas masks, rusty and worn down cities built from scrap, and the monstrosities that litter the game world truly give that post-apocalyptic vibe the game was going for. Simultaneously, however, it also adds the colorful atmosphere that most, if not all, post-apocalyptic games lack. Thus, Krater is presented in a unique tone and style not seen in other games.

- The occasional voice-overs and quirky characters in Krater makes for an interesting story that captures my attention. While it did have a rather generic and unimaginative start, the game quickly engages the player by showering the surroundings with lore that is familiar yet new. Final Note:

-As with all indie games, Krater deserves some patience and support, since it lacks the same amount of funding that games like D3 had. Even then, it can still stand on its own against the top dogs of the industry. I find it rather difficult to go back to games like Diablo and Trochlight now that Krater it out.
  12. Jun 18, 2012
    Great game, even if they are still plenty of bugs n stuff. FatShark is putting out steady patches since release though and promises free DLC and in a few weeks they will have coop in the game which is a big part of the reason I bought the game. No idea why the critic reviews are so low this game is a diamond in the rough.
  13. Jun 13, 2012
    This game is very original and well thought out. the main map works like fallout 1 and 2 with random encounters and event sites and cities. The main party is 3 players with literally 20 or more people you can higher and upgrade, deep characcter customization, players can be injured or die permanately, lots of micro, end game is a huge randomized krater.... the art is fresh... enjoy this and path of exile more than torchlight 2 or diablo 3 by far. Expand
  14. Jun 18, 2012
    Fantastic, game. Superb graphics, interesting story, fresh mechanics, awesome atmosphere and really good music. Worth more than $15. Must have for all RPG fans!
  15. Jun 17, 2012
    This is a great game! Some write about a lot of mistakes, but it looks like they played in the beta version, I have absolutely no problem. If you like unusual stories, this game is for you. She is much prettier Diablo. Krater has a great soundtrack and design. Must have for anyone who remembers the good old fallout.
  16. Sep 23, 2012
    After all those patches, to fix all those bugs, and all those crashes, the game finally became soooo worth buying. I can honestly say that this is the most charming game I've played in my life, and the gameplay is fantastic as well. A truly engaging story, and fantastic nature to explore. And the extra that makes it a 10/10 is the town designs, and the brilliant music throughout the game. So to sum up, it's really really worth buying, I would easily have spent double the money to get this game. Expand
  17. Jun 29, 2012
    I've read a lot of harsh reviews around the net and find this a bit saddening, not the usual love being spread for Indi developers. I have not experienced the bugs that others have, however i chose to wait a couple of weeks post release before buying this game and have not had any game breaking glitches or interface errors. Apparently at first release it was absolutely awful, and perhaps this is where the disparate reviewer and user scores are coming from, reviewers likely to have sought the package as early as possible to compete for release. I submit that these fellows ought to play it again and re-review. v1.05 was released today i believe. Metacritic Version Control, that might be nice.

There is something creepy and beautiful about this game, the music is infectious, i found myself still hearing it in my head whilst at work, in the shower etc. Insanely beautiful. The graphics are soft and gorgeous and the play style is nicely balanced so you can progress at your own pace in combat and return to base to lick your woulds should you step a little further into enemy territory than you ought to have. The only thing I dislike about this game so far, and I say this as a thoroughly hooked Krater-addict just before i'm about to hop back into it and do some more slaying - I wish there was more back story. But having read that there will be DLC and more games in the series - I can only pray this comes to fruition.

Loot drops, varied bad-guys, loads of missions and locations and a constant pressing interest in gaining more power so you can explore further out without having your face handed to you (3 times).

Spoken dialogue is pretty much non-existent, but that's par for the course not the exception, and irrelevant for the style of game. Excel spreadsheets with hammers and knives, that's the ticket.

I couldn't quite understand the level 5 cap when i began, but it' has been modified to a 15 cap with increments of 5 levels that you are able to obtain from a particular type of NPC. Even at 15 levels it seemed small - then it dawned on me, you simply continue to upgrade your characters slots, the leveling is really just a "quantity" slot cap, not a character quality cap - but you're not restricted to re-allocating your slots in any way you like and each upgrade has multiple levels, each level has perky increments. This unfortunately overlooks the underpinning gamer psychology that prompted marketing types to ram "Achievements" down everyone's throat like a giant pocket evacuating lozenge.

One of the most addictive and fresh games I've come across, easily worth 4 times the asking price, please don't miss out on it because a few critics happened to take a peek before the cake was fully baked. :)
  18. Jun 18, 2012
    After the great disappointment of Diablo 3, finally a great game. And at a ridiculous price! New ideas and willingness of programmers to follow users. Pay attention to how the media are trying to discredit this and other similar games, paid by Blizzard
  19. Jun 18, 2012
    I honestly dont understand the professional critics on their review of this game.

I mean to hold a $15 to the same standards as you do $60+ game not to mention this is an indie game and not in dev for 12 years.

My opinion is that this is a great game, a classic for sure. While it does have some bugs and issues with simplicity the dev team are very active and attentive. It has aspects
    of many classics and blends them well together to create a fun dynamic world to play in.

Shame on these "professional" reviewers for harping on this fine game for no other reason than that it didnt send them toys and free trips to openings.
  20. Jun 19, 2012
    GOTY. This game is just amazing and I've yet to play a game this fun this year. I didn't like Diablo 3 at all and Krater fills that void. Co-op is coming soon which will improve this wonderful game.
  21. Jun 21, 2012
    it looks good, it feels good, its worth the money. Honestly I think that this might end up in my top5 games of 2012. This game has already kept me playing longer than diablo 3 has.

I have no idea what critics have played, but they havent played krater, for example, gamespy says krater is not epic and in the same breath says its too hard, wait what, you say epic = endless waves of 10 hp
    cannon fodder?.

This game is so beatifull (make sure you have dx10/11 supported card), its actually better looking game than diablo 3 or torchlight 2 on my rig. 9/10 dungeon crawler, must buy for 14 euros, you wont regret it.
  22. Jun 21, 2012
    Krater is a really refreshing take on action rpgs, leaving the old generic fantasy setting behind alone makes the game refreshing. Whole atmosphere in Krater is awesome to say the least, who knew post-apocalyptic Sweden would be so crazy ? it has that indie feeling to it.

I like how Krater deals with repetition in action rpgs, instead of grinding gear now you have implants (permanent
    stat boosts), boosters (skill enhancements), weapons and gadgets (which might be almost anything). And by having you control characters instead of 1 and great crafting system it really furthers away from a traditional action rpg scenario. The fact that some "professional" critics dared to compare this to Diablo 3 is mind boggling, Krater and Diablo 3 are two different games.

Some say there are a lot of bugs, but honestly I didn't encounter any at all, maybe few minor glitches here and there ,but it's nothing that would hold you back from experiencing what Krater has to offer.

I definitely recommend buying soundtrack edition, because soundtrack is absolutely awesome. Collectors edition however doesn't really offer anything else besides the soundtrack and early access to a mutant healer for your squad, which is kinda disappointing since Krater ,as I've mentioned before, has an extremely cool and interesting setting.

I'm only giving this 9/10 because it seems like it got rushed a bit and there's no multiplayer ,yet.
  23. Jun 23, 2012
    + Great setting Not a Diablo clone God mix of mechanics - its not just point and click Good value for the price - i got 20 hours played now and still enjoy it - The game had its issues at launch but the developers seem to be working hard to sort those out (several patches since release) The tutorial sucked - needed to search forums for guidelines on how to best fit implants and boosters in my characters. Expand
  24. Jun 22, 2012
    I saw this game on steam the day it came out. Pirate-bayonly had "Anal Krater" so I bought the game. It didn't launch. it crashed instantly. So why am I giving it 10/10? The next day, a patch comes out, crashing is fixed, and a content update. I played it. 10 minutes in, it crashed. Most fun I've ever had. The developers are working like crazy to continue patching the games flaws, and at this point it's nearly bug-less. Expand
  25. Aug 4, 2012
    I picked up Krater a couple weeks after release. It made me want to keep playing for 20 hours, completing all of the quests and finding many of the secrets. It was quite rough around the edges and, judging by the patches, should probably have had 1-2 more months of work on it. But it was easy to look past its faults and enjoy the genuinely fun gameplay.
  26. Jul 3, 2012
    I really like this little game. Hacking and slaying with three different characters (instead of only one) - each one gifted with 2 special abilities - is somewhat "strategic" and therefore interesting (not so much in the lower levels but more and more later on in the game). With an interesting setting, many cities and dungeons to discover, a small crafting system, weird dialogues and a portion of crude humor this budged title has conquered my heart. If you like torchlight with a tactical twist - GO BUY IT!

P.S.: I admit that the game has been released to early. Some polishing is still to be done. Yet I can not understand the reviewers that call the game boring because you hack and slay and loot though a not so interesting story. Isn´t this the same in Torchlight and Sacred ect.?!
  27. Jul 25, 2012
    Where do I start? Let's just say that after FORTY+ hours of play I have a long way to go and this is one of the best games I've played in 30 years as a gamer. Do yourself a favour and ignore the critic reviews altogether as they were clearly made on the unpatched beta. The game still has some minor rough edges in that there seems to be an annoying thing where the camera will randomly jump when you are scrolling (I believe it's an auto-centre issue) and you can't delete unwanted characters. This said, fatshark's commitment to continued development and community awareness are probably the best I've EVER seen with responses on the forums to almost every new observation idea or issue. The game itself is packed with secret areas quests and encounters that you simply wont see until you have invested a fair bit of play time - and it's pretty clear that all negative reviewers didn't do this at all. You will become emotionally attached to some characters and when they eventually die you may feel sadness or regret but there are always better ones to come if you don't give up. Any game which can provoke an emotional response in this way and still provide many many hours of gameplay and replay value should be up for some serious awards. Even without the planned co-op, which at this time remains inactive, Krater is the quintessence of "hidden gem" and "diamond in the rough". I continue to recommend it to all my fiends and anyone else who will listen and when the minor issues mentioned are sorted and co-op is added this is an easy 10/10 for anyone's money.

*edit* Fatshark - do yourselves a favour and re-submit the game for review to "critics" and you will eventually reap the rewards of your superb and continued good work because as things stand the current, and completely inaccurate, metascore is damaging your sales and recognition.
  28. Jul 10, 2012
    This game needs work, at least the team was nice enough to say it was still heavily being worked on but I've had fun so far, as far as all those "professional" reviewers over there, they are the same morons who gave Diablo 3 enough sterling reviews for an 80+, compare that to the user score and the luls rush in.
  29. Jan 3, 2013
    There's absolutely no bugs in this game as of 1/3/2013. All of what's left is a good game. In fact, I bought this game and was expecting so much less than what I paid. I was, truly blown away. I'll be playing this game for a long, long time.
  30. Jul 21, 2012
    Better than Diablo 3 that's for sure! Don't listen to those idiot reviewers, most receive money to review a game favorably. Krator has man great things going on with it. It has a great Post-Apocalyptic feel about it, campy funny humor, SQUADS!, permanent stupidity leads to permanent injuries and so on. I love it and continue to play it. It is also currently for sale on Steam! www.drunkenheroes.com Expand
  31. Jul 20, 2012
    150 words is not enough to actually give out a review about this game, so i will give you a link to what i think http://sergentthrifty.blogspot.se/2012/07/krater.html
  32. Jul 21, 2012
    I don't understand the hatred professional review outlets have piled onto Krater; it's an incredible experience, and very refreshing. The story is forgettable, so don't come into it expecting a novel; the world is passable, too. But the humor, gameplay, and RPG elements are all brilliant. It jokes about itself and RPG's in a general a *lot*, and the system for upgrading each character through implantation allows for unbelieveable customization. The game is inexpensive fun- and *hours* upon *hours* of that fun...! Just make sure you've installed the latest graphics drivers for your graphics card, and you'll be spared any glitches or problems. Once Co-op hits (as the developers are working hard at releasing it!) I'm certain Krater will become a staple of online gaming. Expand
  33. Aug 13, 2012
    Very fun, addicting and at times hilarious game. Graphics are outstanding and on par with most big budget games. I look forward to expansions and a sequel.
  34. Aug 8, 2013
    Playing in the background of the demo version was a PJ Harvey cover of, This Is Love, which is what attracted me to this game (and incidentally PJ Harvey herself). Although the $2.99 sale price on Steam, colorful graphics, and apocalyptic road warrior IKEAishness helped to send my hand flying toward the add to cart button.
  35. Dec 27, 2013
    reviewers bribed by rival company's cause this game is awesome! and underrated it offers hours and hours of fun and exploring! how deep can you go in those dungeons? I have not yet discovered
  36. Sep 7, 2013
    Don't believe the negative reviews! The is a fun and polished post-apocalyptic game, which 5 years ago would have been considered mainstream. Now, the graphics are a little dated, but perfectly enjoyable.
    It plays like Titan Quest/Diablo. And you can play the whole thing with your mouse only.
    I'm only a couple of hours in, but am having a blast. There is no way this game is in the 50s,
    even if you are hyper critical, this game is a solid 8/10.
    With coupons, you can get it on Steam for a couple of bucks. Totally worth it!
  37. Nov 7, 2013
    My first impression upon playing Krater is it feels alot like Fallout mixed with unit highlighting, which works in a good way without feeling too complex. The amount of customisation is nice and while you cant edit how your character looks (apart from a few things like weapons), you can later upgrade to a reskinned character of the same class. Multiplayer can be alot of fun when you talk out what your plan of attack will be, but having global loot may make you or him feel a bit greedy if you take too many good items, or just take too many good items too often. But there is a feeling of disconnection when you have finished a quest with your buddy, because it takes you back to the last single player town you were in, which can be a little annoying at first, which is why I recommend you have a friend be the guy who your doing multiplayer with, so you can quickly pick another quest and resume multiplayer again. Expand

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Krater has a lot of good things going for it: an original setting (post-apocalyptic Sweden!), a fresh take on ARPG leveling mechanics, a moody soundtrack… Sadly, the monotonous and boring combat makes playing it a chore. Kudos for Fatshark for actively patching their game, but only time will tell whether the potential will ever be fulfilled. [Aug 2012]
  2. Sep 25, 2012
    This game will bring you only pain and humiliation. It will drive you insane, filling your nightmares with many-colored bears.
  3. Aug 31, 2012
    Mixed emotions… Krater tries to be a squad-based action RPG, but ultimately it does not fully deliver, neither as squad-based, nor as action-hack/slash, nor even as an RPG- and that is truly a shame, for there was something really brilliant here. Still, it remains a fun way to pass many game-hours. [August 2012]