7.2

1. Jun 16, 2012
    I have no idea what game these professional reviewers have been playing. Krater is most likely the cheapest extreme fun and entertainment I have ever gotten. This game is way different than most everything else on the market, and in a good way!

Not only that, but from the looks of it, the developers are heavily invested in getting this game to be the best it possibly can, with patches hitting daily so far, adding content, fixing bugs, and implementing suggestions from the users.

This game is not for everyone, but 2/10 is just plain ignorant, especially with the reviews AAA titles are getting these days.
  2. Jun 12, 2012
    Been playing since beta. Really fun, squad oriented ARPG with beautiful graphics. Just make sure you have Windows Vista or 7. It's a DX11/10 only game. It's really hardcore too.
  3. Jun 19, 2012
    Krater is a game that tries hard to be unique but fails in the important aspect of fun gameplay. From the first minute you enter krater you are doing what you will be doing all the game long, the repetition in this game is so extreme that it's difficult not to question the mindset of the devs. You will collect loot, "level" up your soldiers, learn crafting recipes and complete quests. AllKrater is a game that tries hard to be unique but fails in the important aspect of fun gameplay. From the first minute you enter krater you are doing what you will be doing all the game long, the repetition in this game is so extreme that it's difficult not to question the mindset of the devs. You will collect loot, "level" up your soldiers, learn crafting recipes and complete quests. All this would sound fine if it weren't for the fact that there is no substance to any of it. The level up system is kind of weird as you don't get better by just leveling up as you need to insert implants to raise your stats, your level determins the amount of implants you can use but it quickly becomes very basic as in fill out your soldiers with implants and then slowly replace them with better ones. The crafting is the basic "collect this and that and press a button" although there is a lot of recipes in the game to somewhat save it. The questing is the run of the mill MMO type quests and you will get bored of the same old "go kill" or "go fetch" quests that plague the game. Also important to notice is that all exploration is pretty much useless, yes you will find all these locations on the world map ( which I love btw) but they are all so empty, there is no real need to go into any of these unless you have a quest in there since you can clear them out without finding any special.

Sadly I could go on about Kraters short comings but right now I have better things to do. I'm not gonna say straight out "don't buy this" but I would spend my money else where and maybe grab it in the future when there is more content.
  4. Jun 13, 2012
    The game looks really good. The gameplay takes a while to grow accustomed to, but it gets fun after like 2 hours of using it. Only down side is the game takes a while to pick up with customization, but it does get there.
  5. Jun 12, 2012
    Great top-down ARPG, to me it feels a little like a cross between diablo / torchlight and baldurs gate. The title is surprisingly polished considering it has come from an indie developer and some of the larger devs out there could do with taking note of how this team has not hidden away their product before release and has taken onboard player feedback during its development (I very muchGreat top-down ARPG, to me it feels a little like a cross between diablo / torchlight and baldurs gate. The title is surprisingly polished considering it has come from an indie developer and some of the larger devs out there could do with taking note of how this team has not hidden away their product before release and has taken onboard player feedback during its development (I very much liked the fact that pre-order players got access to the game in its beta stages). Even now the devs are working on further polishing the game, adding content and developing an on-line co-op mode. considering the low price of this game (£11.99 on steam) you are getting a lot of content (I believe 30-50 hours for a play-through) and a game that gives many full-price titles a run for their money. This year has seen some impressive indie releases and this is definitely one of the best of them. Expand
  6. Jun 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. TL;DR
    Interesting ideas
    Many are unnecessary as implemented
    The others feel like forced padding
    None of them seem to be balanced
    Play D3's Inferno difficulty or Path of Exile
    -----
    I bought this game at launch, and was immediately frustrated by several bugs (hidden key bindings that couldn't be fixed, alt tabbing causing unrecoverable issues, fog of war resetting when changing implants..) that were fixed rapidly. So kudos to the developers for fast response.

To date I have 11.4 hours played, and beat the main storyline. The idea of the mechanics in this game is solid, but the implementation leaves much to be desired.

Lies about enemy models:
    Part of the reason I bought this game was a claim of not just re-skinning all the monsters in the game. In my play time, pretty much all enemies behaved the same way.. maybe every hour or so I would see something different (a stun, or an acid pool) but for the most part everything behaves the same way with a very limited number of attacks. There is little graphical variety in enemies, and what may be there is hard to discern because of the angle of view.

This also highlights a weakness of the whole encounter system: rarely will you fight more than 1-4 enemies at a time. The same patterns of groups will appear over and over and over.. it's just boring. The only interesting fight was the last one, and that was anti-climactic in its own right (because the game isn't stand-alone complete, story-wise)

Team building:
    I know they are coming out with a boot camp that will let you upgrade characters, but unless you can also convert to the mutated versions of the classes this will be a mostly-useless feature. Each class has an alternate version with abilities that are just better in every way (e.g.: basic medic has a channeled HoT, and a single target heal with a cast time. Mutant medic has a fire-and-forget HoT buff, and an aoe heal with a cast time.)

Because there is no boot camp right now and I did not want to waste my time buying and upgrading new tiers of heroes, about 2 hours into the game I simply ran to the center of the map and purchased level 15 heroes and tier 4 stat recipes. I wasn't using any guides or spoilers, it just seems fairly obvious that the giant capital city next to the glowing crater would have the best stuff for sale. If I was starting a new game I'm sure I could do this even faster. Level 4 items take the same ingredients as 1-3, they just require 4 of them - and give a proportionate boost per ingredient (level 1 is +5, 4 is +20). So there is no reason not to build them. The recipes were quite cheap.

An hour later my heroes were all at max level. That means for nearly 3/4 of my play time, my characters did not intrinsically advance. They got better upgrades and weapons, yes, but I think the experience system is basically useless.

Difficulty:
    This is the easiest ARPG I have ever played. The penalty for being knocked down in Normal difficulty is effectively 100 Kr to heal, which is nothing. You can always teleport out of a dungeon so if you stick around long enough to accumulate an injury, it's because you chose to. The only other challenging option (to gain a full injury each time you're knocked down) is just asking to add pointless fluff time to your game as not all injuries can be cured.

Anyway, once I bought my level 15 guys I never was knocked down. One application of my medic's aoe heal puts everyone to full, and his heal over time fully heals every second. No worry about limited resources, as these heals don't even have a cooldown.

Because all packs are small and similar, I never had to vary my strategy.. within two cycles of cooldowns on my dps and tank, every enemy squad I encountered was defeated.

The skill system:
    I love the idea of customizing skills and having flexibility to add different effects to each power, bending class boundaries, etc... but I swear that Krater doesn't actually want this to happen.
    For example:
    I put 5 healing buffs on my dps's basic power that is never on cooldown. He had maybe 600 hp, and I would see it heal him for 15-20.
    I put 3 healing buffs in my medic's aoe and it heals everyone for 400+ hp.

I put stat buffs on my tank's aoe attack.. they last 15s.
    I add some implants to increase his buff duration... the buffs still last 15s.

I put added damage enhancers on my medic's HoT ability... nothing happens.

It is entirely possible that I simply do not understand the fundamental mechanics of this game... but it is so easy that I didn't have to do any additional exploring or experimentation. I give everyone defense/stamina, and strength for the dps/tank, focus for the medic, and my team steamrolls everything. Intelligence is worthless.

Bottom line:
    If you're looking for a serious challenge, I would suggest diablo 3's Inferno difficulty.
    If you''re just looking for an ARPG with fun and interesting mechanics, I would go for Path of Exile.
  7. Jun 14, 2012
    I'm thoroughly enjoying Krater. It hails from the same dungeons as Diablo II and Baldur's Gate II but brings it forth into the new generation of games. The soundtrack is brilliant, there's elements of Vangelis in there from Blade Runner and quite a lot of (I'm assuming the developers favourite) Swedish artists on there too playing in the Bars and towns, it sets the atmosphere brilliantly.I'm thoroughly enjoying Krater. It hails from the same dungeons as Diablo II and Baldur's Gate II but brings it forth into the new generation of games. The soundtrack is brilliant, there's elements of Vangelis in there from Blade Runner and quite a lot of (I'm assuming the developers favourite) Swedish artists on there too playing in the Bars and towns, it sets the atmosphere brilliantly. It can feel a little grindy, especially when your characters just died in a dungeon and you need to recruit and train up new ones, but aside from that, the game is fun, light hearted and epic all rolled into one. I'm looking forward to seeing some more of the game in my next play. Expand
  8. Jun 16, 2012
    This game is enjoyable to say the least. It's unique and refreshing in a game genre that is flustered with generic copies. The take on this game, in a nutshell, is akin to a hack-n-slash but with various elements that you don't normally see in the genre. For example, a large roster of characters to play from, an interesting, to say the least, crafting system, and a pleasant not so oftenThis game is enjoyable to say the least. It's unique and refreshing in a game genre that is flustered with generic copies. The take on this game, in a nutshell, is akin to a hack-n-slash but with various elements that you don't normally see in the genre. For example, a large roster of characters to play from, an interesting, to say the least, crafting system, and a pleasant not so often setting. I'm actually surprised by the 'professional reviewers' who reviewed this game because this game is fun. For those who enjoy Diablo style hack-n-slash, borderlands art style, and the original fallout's traveling system. For those who would enjoy a combination of these elements, ignore the naysayers. Expand
  9. Jun 14, 2012
    Played it very shortly last night. Although many, many games are vying for my attention, I couldn't pass up this impressive looking Indie. Boy, so far I am not let down! Love the look and feel of the game and it's offbeat sense of humor. I specifically enjoy the use of distance blur-effects. The art style somewhat makes up for repetitive content. Also I like the fact that the setting isPlayed it very shortly last night. Although many, many games are vying for my attention, I couldn't pass up this impressive looking Indie. Boy, so far I am not let down! Love the look and feel of the game and it's offbeat sense of humor. I specifically enjoy the use of distance blur-effects. The art style somewhat makes up for repetitive content. Also I like the fact that the setting is reminiscent of games like fallout and rage, but much more colorful. And it's set in a post-apocalyptic Sweden, which is always a bonus. ;-) Gameplay wise it is too early to tell, but it looks promising. I love this kind of ARPG and I was actually looking forward to this rather than D3, which IMHO is shamelessly overpriced. I hope they will implement the online co-op soon, as I am eager to find out how this will effect gameplay. Expand
  10. Jun 12, 2012
    I bought this some time ago and have played it in beta. The game is great and if you like games such as Fallout/Diablo/Xcom, this is something to check out.
  11. Jun 16, 2012
    This game is awsome. The keybindings are a bit off and i run into alot of bugs like quests that you cant turn in or complete, resolution problems, mouse aiming problems... anyways the developers launched this to early, its like it wasent even tested... Theres no online play "yet" and it feels like playing a beta game because theres so many bugs, id give this game a way lower score becauseThis game is awsome. The keybindings are a bit off and i run into alot of bugs like quests that you cant turn in or complete, resolution problems, mouse aiming problems... anyways the developers launched this to early, its like it wasent even tested... Theres no online play "yet" and it feels like playing a beta game because theres so many bugs, id give this game a way lower score because of these issues and the reason i cant is because this game is awsome, for what you can play... they update it it seems every day so im sure the bugs will be worked out and online availiable at some point, i hope soon. Every company should know never launch a game when its not ready, its been out now for 3 days and its definately not ready for a launch, but for what you can play it has a lot of potential. way better than Diablo 3 Expand
  12. Jun 14, 2012
    A refreshing game-- refreshingly vibrant post-apoc setting, refreshingly "mercenary" take on ARPG character development conventions, and refreshingly challenging compared to a few other ARPGs I could name.
  13. Jun 22, 2012
    After I got a hang of the controls and how the abilities and upgrades work, 'Krater' has been a lot of fun. A downside is that the game was not really ready for release, due to some bugs and features that are being fixed and added with regular patches, but the fact that the patches are pretty regular since the release mitigates that a bit.

For $15 this game is a heck of a lot of fun,

For $15 this game is a heck of a lot of fun, and either the 'professional' reviewers are hating on this game for some unknown reason or they just have some pretty unrealistic expectations. Great graphics, fun gameplay with a good amount of strategy, humorous dialog and story, regular content updates and patches and some pretty interesting game mechanics make this game MUCH better than what some of them are rating it.

Of course, some of the reviewers bashing 'Krater' also think that 'Diablo 3' is fantastic, so take what they say with a grain of salt.
  14. Jun 12, 2012
    This is everything good that DIablo 3 is not. It has both online and offline play, but it doesn't force you to always stay online (you can play it fine without an internet connection). The game promises that it can merge your offline play character to an online play mode. First impression after playing a few minutes of the game: "How the frak can a game that cost me 15 USD look so freakingThis is everything good that DIablo 3 is not. It has both online and offline play, but it doesn't force you to always stay online (you can play it fine without an internet connection). The game promises that it can merge your offline play character to an online play mode. First impression after playing a few minutes of the game: "How the frak can a game that cost me 15 USD look so freaking gorgeous!". Seriously, this is one of the best looking games in this genre. I was so amazed that I can actually rotate the scenes and zoom them in. The controls are awesome as well, and there's a promise of an intriguing story - not the tired uninspired trash Blizzard fed us with D3. I haven't gotten more than 15 minutes into this game and I'll probably update the rating/review as I go along but gaddamn - buy this game already! It is SO worth it! Collapse
  15. Jun 12, 2012
    I was interested in this game for the entire time it has been on Steam, I entered in the beta, loved it. Now that it is released I'm very glad to say that it is awesome. It delivers in every single way possible, great for classic CRPG lovers. Its art style is very unique, and adds a certain flavor and mood that you'll always cherish. A very memorable game, with fun gameplay and elaborateI was interested in this game for the entire time it has been on Steam, I entered in the beta, loved it. Now that it is released I'm very glad to say that it is awesome. It delivers in every single way possible, great for classic CRPG lovers. Its art style is very unique, and adds a certain flavor and mood that you'll always cherish. A very memorable game, with fun gameplay and elaborate areas to explore that all have a purpose in the game's "fun" factor. I highly recommend getting this top-down open-world role-playing epic. Expand
  16. Jun 13, 2012
    Great atmosphere and such a unique apocalyptic setting makes this a joy to play. Some nice humour and funny one liners from the characters. Add in great graphics and sound, especially the music, and you have Krater - an awesome action RPG! Well done Fatshark!
  17. Jun 15, 2012
    Hailing from Swedish Developer, Fatshark, Krater is one of those games that is assumed to fall into the category of arpgs that merely take concepts from the Diablo series and repeats it without adding anything new. Fortunately, it does more than copy something that works. Rather, Krater mixes ARPG with the tactical prowess of RTS games by having the player control 3 squad members at once.Hailing from Swedish Developer, Fatshark, Krater is one of those games that is assumed to fall into the category of arpgs that merely take concepts from the Diablo series and repeats it without adding anything new. Fortunately, it does more than copy something that works. Rather, Krater mixes ARPG with the tactical prowess of RTS games by having the player control 3 squad members at once. This aspect of the game brings forth interesting scenarios by mixing up the squad between 4 classes and 2 races. General Points:

- For a $15 game, Krater deserves a good look, with content that reaches up to 40+ hours of game time with only a single playthrough, which says a lot about the game in terms of replay-ability. This does not yet include the heavy amounts of loot and squad permutations in the current build of the game.

Gameplay:

-While the game falls short on certain areas like characters only having 2 skills and a release that feels rather rushed, they are all justifiable negatives that weaves along the game to create a different experience from what most people are accustomed to when it comes to playing the more 'traditional' ARPGs.

-Characters only having 2 skills is due to having 3 units at once, summing it up to 6 per squad. Each skill can also be customized through the use of skill boosters as characters unlock more ranks. These boosters can affect each skill differently, and the amount of variety of skill customization is plenty enough to encourage players to experiment. A regulator (ranged character) may have an area of effect slow that can also heal allies inside of it, or perhaps one that damages enemies on top of slowing them. It can even buff allies with defense boosts or damage boosts, or a mixture of all three. - Admittedly, the game does feel unfinished with the lack of online multiplayer and a lack of settings options. The game's release day was mostly a success, with isolated bugs and problems that plagued an extreme minority of the player base, and even then, patches were released 2-3 days after with added sound settings and bug fixes, showing the developer's commitment to creating and improving an amazing game with great potential. -Considering the game comes from an indie developer, Krater's design structure feels looser when compared to other AAA titles. This means that Fatshark treats the game more like a Free-to-play than an end product by constantly improving it with the help and feedback from it the community with the promise of more free and paid content coming soon.

- The traveling aspect of the game also feels reminiscent of other rpg games that involves moving around a world map with random encounters. While it may feel slow at times, it does give players a scope of how large the world is, and will be (when the next 2 parts are released). This allows for an impressive perspective that games like Diablo 3 lack. It shows the players what and how much can be explored whilst allowing for the freedom to go where ever the player wants to go, even at the beginning of the game(Including the risks of encountering high threat level monsters). Dungeons are not constrained by having to play through the story in a linear fashion, and the map randomization keeps dungeon crawling fresh.

Presentation:

- Graphics are beautiful and can be run even with half decent hardware. The art style and the presentation of Krater is both humorous and attractive. The populous wearing gas masks, rusty and worn down cities built from scrap, and the monstrosities that litter the game world truly give that post-apocalyptic vibe the game was going for. Simultaneously, however, it also adds the colorful atmosphere that most, if not all, post-apocalyptic games lack. Thus, Krater is presented in a unique tone and style not seen in other games.

- The occasional voice-overs and quirky characters in Krater makes for an interesting story that captures my attention. While it did have a rather generic and unimaginative start, the game quickly engages the player by showering the surroundings with lore that is familiar yet new. Final Note:

-As with all indie games, Krater deserves some patience and support, since it lacks the same amount of funding that games like D3 had. Even then, it can still stand on its own against the top dogs of the industry. I find it rather difficult to go back to games like Diablo and Trochlight now that Krater it out.
  18. Jun 14, 2012
    The game is a farrago of innovative, rote, and poorly executed elements, leading to a fun yet frustrating, and ultimately average, experience. There's a max level cap of 15 for each character in your squad, and leveling (or increasing rank) only opens up implant slots for a character and its abilities; there's no distributing stats or upgrading abilities outside of implant mods.The game is a farrago of innovative, rote, and poorly executed elements, leading to a fun yet frustrating, and ultimately average, experience. There's a max level cap of 15 for each character in your squad, and leveling (or increasing rank) only opens up implant slots for a character and its abilities; there's no distributing stats or upgrading abilities outside of implant mods. Essentially, the character development is based entirely around random loot drops. This is somewhat annoying considering that characters must be recruited (coming with max ranks of 5/10/15), each having different base stats, coupled with the fact that character/ability mods can't be removed from them. Itemization is particularly disappointing, no armor at all, just weapons, character/ability mods (implants), crafting materials/blueprints, (re)usable items, and "valuables," the last of which only exists for selling. They should have been merged with crafting materials, so that you face a strategic choice in whether you keep or sell them, they're pointless otherwise and don't even add "flavor" to the world. Crafting is pretty much standard, which although is OK, it could have been better if you could experiment with different items to find recipes, influence item bonuses by using different materials, etc. It just feels like a missed opportunity.

Skill system is innovative yet disappointing at the same time as well. Race and class determine the skill itself, and other variation is only added through mods to it, somewhat like Path of Exile. Unfortunately, the mods are items and are fairly generic (bonuses to damage, healing, etc.), though what is interesting is that you can combine a healing bonus mod to a non-healing skill to make it heal. There's no way to qualitatively change the abilities though, e.g., change the base ability itself, give a melee skill a ranged component or make a skill do elemental damage (the concept of which does not even exist in this game). Combat is engaging and enjoyable, though the hectic pace of fighting and lack of basic skill variety mean that you'll likely end up mindlessly mashing hot keys most of the time. The game sorely needs pausing functionality or slower combat to maximize its strategic potential. Having access to all 3 characters' abilities at once though is a brilliant idea, but it could have been capitalized on so much more. Pathfinding isn't the best, but it works well enough. Enemies are all essentially the same, though, and usually don't require much strategy beyond standard procedure. Nothing except different damage, health, name, and visual representation distinguishes them. Overworld map is cool, again another great idea. You travel between different locations with random encounters in between, and it's pretty much entirely open from the start, though there's no level scaling (another plus) so you can't travel too far. Story and dialogue are unengaging and uninspired, and the voice acting is abysmal, both of which are really unfortunate given how fresh and different the setting is. Character development is lacking entirely, since player characters are randomly generated and replaced throughout the game (there's permadeath too, though it's a bit hard to have that occur). It's a big world, but there's just not enough incentive to explore it given that the characters don't have anything permanent for the player to develop and the gameplay becomes too boring after a while to maintain continued interest. tl;dr Try it if you like new things, don't expect anything amazing, and the game feels too unpolished.
  19. Jun 18, 2012
    Great game, even if they are still plenty of bugs n stuff. FatShark is putting out steady patches since release though and promises free DLC and in a few weeks they will have coop in the game which is a big part of the reason I bought the game. No idea why the critic reviews are so low this game is a diamond in the rough.
  20. Jun 13, 2012
    The skill system could use some workout but it is a polished and enjoyable postapocalyptic actionrpg. There are not so much around, so you must play what you get.
  21. Jun 13, 2012
    This game is very original and well thought out. the main map works like fallout 1 and 2 with random encounters and event sites and cities. The main party is 3 players with literally 20 or more people you can higher and upgrade, deep characcter customization, players can be injured or die permanately, lots of micro, end game is a huge randomized krater.... the art is fresh... enjoy thisThis game is very original and well thought out. the main map works like fallout 1 and 2 with random encounters and event sites and cities. The main party is 3 players with literally 20 or more people you can higher and upgrade, deep characcter customization, players can be injured or die permanately, lots of micro, end game is a huge randomized krater.... the art is fresh... enjoy this and path of exile more than torchlight 2 or diablo 3 by far. Expand
  22. Jun 18, 2012
    Fantastic, game. Superb graphics, interesting story, fresh mechanics, awesome atmosphere and really good music. Worth more than $15. Must have for all RPG fans!
  23. Jun 17, 2012
    This is a great game! Some write about a lot of mistakes, but it looks like they played in the beta version, I have absolutely no problem. If you like unusual stories, this game is for you. She is much prettier Diablo. Krater has a great soundtrack and design. Must have for anyone who remembers the good old fallout.
  24. Jun 19, 2012
    The professional reviews for this game are absurd. It's fun, addictive, well supported (thus far) and very promising. A lot will depend on Fatshark's continued support and followthrough, but even as it stands now there is no way in hell this game deserves an average of 38.

Game Journalism indeed.
  25. Sep 23, 2012
    After all those patches, to fix all those bugs, and all those crashes, the game finally became soooo worth buying. I can honestly say that this is the most charming game I've played in my life, and the gameplay is fantastic as well. A truly engaging story, and fantastic nature to explore. And the extra that makes it a 10/10 is the town designs, and the brilliant music throughout the game.After all those patches, to fix all those bugs, and all those crashes, the game finally became soooo worth buying. I can honestly say that this is the most charming game I've played in my life, and the gameplay is fantastic as well. A truly engaging story, and fantastic nature to explore. And the extra that makes it a 10/10 is the town designs, and the brilliant music throughout the game. So to sum up, it's really really worth buying, I would easily have spent double the money to get this game. Expand
  26. Jun 18, 2012
    I like it, well worth $20 (collector's edition)! Running it on Windows 8, got it through Steam. It actually reminds me a lot of the old syndicate game (not the current suckage), or even wasteland to a certain degree.
  27. Jun 29, 2012
    I've read a lot of harsh reviews around the net and find this a bit saddening, not the usual love being spread for Indi developers. I have not experienced the bugs that others have, however i chose to wait a couple of weeks post release before buying this game and have not had any game breaking glitches or interface errors. Apparently at first release it was absolutely awful, and perhapsI've read a lot of harsh reviews around the net and find this a bit saddening, not the usual love being spread for Indi developers. I have not experienced the bugs that others have, however i chose to wait a couple of weeks post release before buying this game and have not had any game breaking glitches or interface errors. Apparently at first release it was absolutely awful, and perhaps this is where the disparate reviewer and user scores are coming from, reviewers likely to have sought the package as early as possible to compete for release. I submit that these fellows ought to play it again and re-review. v1.05 was released today i believe. Metacritic Version Control, that might be nice.

There is something creepy and beautiful about this game, the music is infectious, i found myself still hearing it in my head whilst at work, in the shower etc. Insanely beautiful. The graphics are soft and gorgeous and the play style is nicely balanced so you can progress at your own pace in combat and return to base to lick your woulds should you step a little further into enemy territory than you ought to have. The only thing I dislike about this game so far, and I say this as a thoroughly hooked Krater-addict just before i'm about to hop back into it and do some more slaying - I wish there was more back story. But having read that there will be DLC and more games in the series - I can only pray this comes to fruition.

Loot drops, varied bad-guys, loads of missions and locations and a constant pressing interest in gaining more power so you can explore further out without having your face handed to you (3 times).

Spoken dialogue is pretty much non-existent, but that's par for the course not the exception, and irrelevant for the style of game. Excel spreadsheets with hammers and knives, that's the ticket.

I couldn't quite understand the level 5 cap when i began, but it' has been modified to a 15 cap with increments of 5 levels that you are able to obtain from a particular type of NPC. Even at 15 levels it seemed small - then it dawned on me, you simply continue to upgrade your characters slots, the leveling is really just a "quantity" slot cap, not a character quality cap - but you're not restricted to re-allocating your slots in any way you like and each upgrade has multiple levels, each level has perky increments. This unfortunately overlooks the underpinning gamer psychology that prompted marketing types to ram "Achievements" down everyone's throat like a giant pocket evacuating lozenge.

One of the most addictive and fresh games I've come across, easily worth 4 times the asking price, please don't miss out on it because a few critics happened to take a peek before the cake was fully baked. :)
  28. Jun 13, 2012
    Boring.
    THe setting is not bad, and the gameplay gets a pass, but the lack of RPG elements, NPCs are all the same, and the writing is nothing special.

The AI is really rudimentary, you will have more fun playing Diablo 1, by far . Also a real time party based, doesn't really leave room for much. Probably the speed will cover mose AI problems
  29. Jun 17, 2012
    I've jumped through hoops for three days to get it to run, but it won't create a direct3d window correctly. Check their support forums before you buy.

My particular problem is one where the swap chain gets resized to 0 by 0 (probably due to a bug in their software since everything else I run on my machine works just fine). I've updated drivers, updated directx, updated dependencies, reinstalled the application, and so on. I have a HD 6950 which seems to pop up a lot in their support forums. They have patched three times since they launched a few days ago and each patch seems to break the game for more players. Fortunately its been broken for me since day one and I'm not on a rollercoaster of working versus broken, its just plain broken all the time.
  30. Jun 18, 2012
    After the great disappointment of Diablo 3, finally a great game. And at a ridiculous price! New ideas and willingness of programmers to follow users. Pay attention to how the media are trying to discredit this and other similar games, paid by Blizzard
  31. Jun 12, 2012

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Krater has a lot of good things going for it: an original setting (post-apocalyptic Sweden!), a fresh take on ARPG leveling mechanics, a moody soundtrack… Sadly, the monotonous and boring combat makes playing it a chore. Kudos for Fatshark for actively patching their game, but only time will tell whether the potential will ever be fulfilled. [Aug 2012]
  2. Sep 25, 2012
    This game will bring you only pain and humiliation. It will drive you insane, filling your nightmares with many-colored bears.
  3. Aug 31, 2012
    Mixed emotions… Krater tries to be a squad-based action RPG, but ultimately it does not fully deliver, neither as squad-based, nor as action-hack/slash, nor even as an RPG- and that is truly a shame, for there was something really brilliant here. Still, it remains a fun way to pass many game-hours. [August 2012]