Krater PC

7.2

1. Jun 16, 2012
    I have no idea what game these professional reviewers have been playing. Krater is most likely the cheapest extreme fun and entertainment I have ever gotten. This game is way different than most everything else on the market, and in a good way!

Not only that, but from the looks of it, the developers are heavily invested in getting this game to be the best it possibly can, with patches hitting daily so far, adding content, fixing bugs, and implementing suggestions from the users.

This game is not for everyone, but 2/10 is just plain ignorant, especially with the reviews AAA titles are getting these days.
  2. Jun 13, 2012
    The game looks really good. The gameplay takes a while to grow accustomed to, but it gets fun after like 2 hours of using it. Only down side is the game takes a while to pick up with customization, but it does get there.
  3. Jun 19, 2012
    Krater is a game that tries hard to be unique but fails in the important aspect of fun gameplay. From the first minute you enter krater you are doing what you will be doing all the game long, the repetition in this game is so extreme that it's difficult not to question the mindset of the devs. You will collect loot, "level" up your soldiers, learn crafting recipes and complete quests. AllKrater is a game that tries hard to be unique but fails in the important aspect of fun gameplay. From the first minute you enter krater you are doing what you will be doing all the game long, the repetition in this game is so extreme that it's difficult not to question the mindset of the devs. You will collect loot, "level" up your soldiers, learn crafting recipes and complete quests. All this would sound fine if it weren't for the fact that there is no substance to any of it. The level up system is kind of weird as you don't get better by just leveling up as you need to insert implants to raise your stats, your level determins the amount of implants you can use but it quickly becomes very basic as in fill out your soldiers with implants and then slowly replace them with better ones. The crafting is the basic "collect this and that and press a button" although there is a lot of recipes in the game to somewhat save it. The questing is the run of the mill MMO type quests and you will get bored of the same old "go kill" or "go fetch" quests that plague the game. Also important to notice is that all exploration is pretty much useless, yes you will find all these locations on the world map ( which I love btw) but they are all so empty, there is no real need to go into any of these unless you have a quest in there since you can clear them out without finding any special.

Sadly I could go on about Kraters short comings but right now I have better things to do. I'm not gonna say straight out "don't buy this" but I would spend my money else where and maybe grab it in the future when there is more content.
  4. Jun 12, 2012
    Been playing since beta. Really fun, squad oriented ARPG with beautiful graphics. Just make sure you have Windows Vista or 7. It's a DX11/10 only game. It's really hardcore too.
  5. Jun 12, 2012
    Great top-down ARPG, to me it feels a little like a cross between diablo / torchlight and baldurs gate. The title is surprisingly polished considering it has come from an indie developer and some of the larger devs out there could do with taking note of how this team has not hidden away their product before release and has taken onboard player feedback during its development (I very muchGreat top-down ARPG, to me it feels a little like a cross between diablo / torchlight and baldurs gate. The title is surprisingly polished considering it has come from an indie developer and some of the larger devs out there could do with taking note of how this team has not hidden away their product before release and has taken onboard player feedback during its development (I very much liked the fact that pre-order players got access to the game in its beta stages). Even now the devs are working on further polishing the game, adding content and developing an on-line co-op mode. considering the low price of this game (£11.99 on steam) you are getting a lot of content (I believe 30-50 hours for a play-through) and a game that gives many full-price titles a run for their money. This year has seen some impressive indie releases and this is definitely one of the best of them. Expand
  6. Jul 29, 2013
    Very repetitive game play and uninteresting missions makes this game very disappointing. I played it for about 10 hours and just couldn't bring myself to continue.
  7. Sep 26, 2012
    Up-voting a bad game on the principle that it was poorly created by an indie developer is idiotic. This game has "charm", but shadowed by horrible design flaws. The decision making process of this indie team is not ripe with much experience in the genre, and it shows. Indie or not, the game has deserved the negative overtone. Please understand, for the love of God, worshiping indiesUp-voting a bad game on the principle that it was poorly created by an indie developer is idiotic. This game has "charm", but shadowed by horrible design flaws. The decision making process of this indie team is not ripe with much experience in the genre, and it shows. Indie or not, the game has deserved the negative overtone. Please understand, for the love of God, worshiping indies neither makes you look smart, cool, compassionate or generous; you look like an ass-hat, and you're killing both metacritic and lowering the bar of excellence in game production across the board. Expand
  8. Oct 6, 2012
    The Krater is an interesting idea. Maybe not as interesting as some sensational ideas for games, but can play in it. Targeting three warriors (they can call it that ...) is cool because in this game it is often not used. Curiosity gets when fighting a monster. We need to use (and sometimes we can) from each of the three skills. It is cool and rarely used. In Krater impossible to play atThe Krater is an interesting idea. Maybe not as interesting as some sensational ideas for games, but can play in it. Targeting three warriors (they can call it that ...) is cool because in this game it is often not used. Curiosity gets when fighting a monster. We need to use (and sometimes we can) from each of the three skills. It is cool and rarely used. In Krater impossible to play at times in the game really fun. It is a pity that at times it is hard to even comprehend. You can easily get lost because everything is not always marked on the map to the maps are so made ​​that everything seems to be the same. After a while things get too heavy, and the fight against creatures require reboots even after 8 checkpoint's. The downside is also a call for getting the quest. People talking without sense, and most say even too much for what the game wants to sleep (or at least the talks). As for the storyline or not, it is addictive, it really is not all fun and give her too much, even there is not. The game looks good. There is obviously something graphic and could put an eye, but it is good. The game generally played as nice, of course, until it gets hard. But I think that many people will like this game. My rating -6/10 Expand
  9. Sep 25, 2012
    My only complaint is the combat......I just felt like it was a little clunky, unintuitive but that wasnt so bad. The reason I gave it a 5 is the simple fact that the combat is just plain repetitive. I like everything else about the game, enough so that I would have given it an 8 or a 9. But the same old grindy feel just killed it for me.
  10. AWG
    Jul 31, 2013
    Krater starts as a promising RPG but it gets boring and ripetitive very soon. Also, it's apparently impossible to join a co-op match and many achievements are bugged. Not very funny.
  11. Aug 8, 2013
    Playing in the background of the demo version was a PJ Harvey cover of, This Is Love, which is what attracted me to this game (and incidentally PJ Harvey herself). Although the $2.99 sale price on Steam, colorful graphics, and apocalyptic road warrior IKEAishness helped to send my hand flying toward the add to cart button.
  12. Jun 22, 2012
    After I got a hang of the controls and how the abilities and upgrades work, 'Krater' has been a lot of fun. A downside is that the game was not really ready for release, due to some bugs and features that are being fixed and added with regular patches, but the fact that the patches are pretty regular since the release mitigates that a bit.

For $15 this game is a heck of a lot of fun,

For $15 this game is a heck of a lot of fun, and either the 'professional' reviewers are hating on this game for some unknown reason or they just have some pretty unrealistic expectations. Great graphics, fun gameplay with a good amount of strategy, humorous dialog and story, regular content updates and patches and some pretty interesting game mechanics make this game MUCH better than what some of them are rating it.

Of course, some of the reviewers bashing 'Krater' also think that 'Diablo 3' is fantastic, so take what they say with a grain of salt.
  13. Dec 8, 2012
    The gameplay is incredibly repetitive, once you have your strategy you just do the same thing every battle. There is only a small variety of AI and most enemies are dealt with in the identical manner. Most dungeons look the same and they feel pointless. While the RPG elements are all really cool, the gameplay just becomes super dull. The world map is even worse though. The world map youThe gameplay is incredibly repetitive, once you have your strategy you just do the same thing every battle. There is only a small variety of AI and most enemies are dealt with in the identical manner. Most dungeons look the same and they feel pointless. While the RPG elements are all really cool, the gameplay just becomes super dull. The world map is even worse though. The world map you get doesn't let you view the WHOLE WORLD. I just have never seen such a terrible map in my life, not to mention the incredibly slow crawl between locations means getting across the world requires 10 minutes of more boring gameplay - because you get into battles. The graphics, sounds and dialogues are brilliant and I feel the style works incredibly well, unfortunately about half-way through the game, it falls flat on its feet because of the repetition which limits the gameplay time. Expand
  14. Jun 16, 2012
    This game is awsome. The keybindings are a bit off and i run into alot of bugs like quests that you cant turn in or complete, resolution problems, mouse aiming problems... anyways the developers launched this to early, its like it wasent even tested... Theres no online play "yet" and it feels like playing a beta game because theres so many bugs, id give this game a way lower score becauseThis game is awsome. The keybindings are a bit off and i run into alot of bugs like quests that you cant turn in or complete, resolution problems, mouse aiming problems... anyways the developers launched this to early, its like it wasent even tested... Theres no online play "yet" and it feels like playing a beta game because theres so many bugs, id give this game a way lower score because of these issues and the reason i cant is because this game is awsome, for what you can play... they update it it seems every day so im sure the bugs will be worked out and online availiable at some point, i hope soon. Every company should know never launch a game when its not ready, its been out now for 3 days and its definately not ready for a launch, but for what you can play it has a lot of potential. way better than Diablo 3 Expand
  15. Jun 16, 2012
    This game is enjoyable to say the least. It's unique and refreshing in a game genre that is flustered with generic copies. The take on this game, in a nutshell, is akin to a hack-n-slash but with various elements that you don't normally see in the genre. For example, a large roster of characters to play from, an interesting, to say the least, crafting system, and a pleasant not so oftenThis game is enjoyable to say the least. It's unique and refreshing in a game genre that is flustered with generic copies. The take on this game, in a nutshell, is akin to a hack-n-slash but with various elements that you don't normally see in the genre. For example, a large roster of characters to play from, an interesting, to say the least, crafting system, and a pleasant not so often setting. I'm actually surprised by the 'professional reviewers' who reviewed this game because this game is fun. For those who enjoy Diablo style hack-n-slash, borderlands art style, and the original fallout's traveling system. For those who would enjoy a combination of these elements, ignore the naysayers. Expand
  16. Dec 11, 2012
    This is an initially appealing game, an old-fashioned turn-based (ish) squad scale RPG. The art style is cute, and the goofy humour is somewhat charming. Sadly, however, it is absolutely bugged to fsck. I am fed up with reporting basic bugs, to see them eventually declared fixed, when a cursory look shows that they aren't, and are easily reproducible. CTDs, save file corruption, vanishingThis is an initially appealing game, an old-fashioned turn-based (ish) squad scale RPG. The art style is cute, and the goofy humour is somewhat charming. Sadly, however, it is absolutely bugged to fsck. I am fed up with reporting basic bugs, to see them eventually declared fixed, when a cursory look shows that they aren't, and are easily reproducible. CTDs, save file corruption, vanishing items, GUI problems, you name it. That's before we get on to the simplistic and skewed mechanics, which need a major overhaul. It's a shame, Fatshark (the developers) themselves are friendly and polite on their forums- just they seem to have a really lousy development process, and a habit of putting out interesting-looking yet fatally bugged titles. I have wasted so much time struggling with bugs in this title, reporting them, waiting for patches, rinse and repeat- just to find that I no further forward. Leisure time is limited, and I don't expect to have to babysit games for near-homeopathic levels of entertainment. To justify this level of faffing about, this game would need to be a lot more entertaining than it is. I don't except this flakiness to fun ratio from free games- I sure as hell wouldn't from a commercial title. Even in a Steam sale, I would avoid this like the plague. There are far better games that you can pick up for less. Even all this time after release, it's barely beta quality.

Sorry, Fatshark.
  17. Jan 17, 2013
    When this game was released it was very buggy and it always crashed, however. Now it's completely different. Krate has recieved mayor fixes and it's much more stable and the best part, IT HAS CO-OP NOW!. Krater is a unique game where you control three characters at once. It's set in a colorful post-apocalyptic Sweden. If you like RPG, atleast give this game a chance. It deserves much moreWhen this game was released it was very buggy and it always crashed, however. Now it's completely different. Krate has recieved mayor fixes and it's much more stable and the best part, IT HAS CO-OP NOW!. Krater is a unique game where you control three characters at once. It's set in a colorful post-apocalyptic Sweden. If you like RPG, atleast give this game a chance. It deserves much more than just 52 out of 100. A solid 8 out of 10! Expand
  18. Jun 14, 2012
    Played it very shortly last night. Although many, many games are vying for my attention, I couldn't pass up this impressive looking Indie. Boy, so far I am not let down! Love the look and feel of the game and it's offbeat sense of humor. I specifically enjoy the use of distance blur-effects. The art style somewhat makes up for repetitive content. Also I like the fact that the setting isPlayed it very shortly last night. Although many, many games are vying for my attention, I couldn't pass up this impressive looking Indie. Boy, so far I am not let down! Love the look and feel of the game and it's offbeat sense of humor. I specifically enjoy the use of distance blur-effects. The art style somewhat makes up for repetitive content. Also I like the fact that the setting is reminiscent of games like fallout and rage, but much more colorful. And it's set in a post-apocalyptic Sweden, which is always a bonus. ;-) Gameplay wise it is too early to tell, but it looks promising. I love this kind of ARPG and I was actually looking forward to this rather than D3, which IMHO is shamelessly overpriced. I hope they will implement the online co-op soon, as I am eager to find out how this will effect gameplay. Expand
  19. Xzi
    Jun 19, 2012
    I've written a review for this game three times now, and Metacritic has failed to save my score/review. So this one will be short and to the point. Krater is a unique and interesting game that offers several elements that most aRPGs do not. On release, its feature set is not complete as it is expected to be a year from now, and Fatshark should be commended for their continued supportI've written a review for this game three times now, and Metacritic has failed to save my score/review. So this one will be short and to the point. Krater is a unique and interesting game that offers several elements that most aRPGs do not. On release, its feature set is not complete as it is expected to be a year from now, and Fatshark should be commended for their continued support for this title. You can expect to get anywhere from 14 to 20 quality hours out of the game as it stands now. Customization options for your three character party are not limitless, but have a wider-than-expected range for a smaller title like this. There's plenty of humor, references, and color to be found in this game, and the graphics/aesthetic are top notch. DirectX 10/11 only, so sorry WinXP users. Expand
  20. Jun 14, 2012
    I'm thoroughly enjoying Krater. It hails from the same dungeons as Diablo II and Baldur's Gate II but brings it forth into the new generation of games. The soundtrack is brilliant, there's elements of Vangelis in there from Blade Runner and quite a lot of (I'm assuming the developers favourite) Swedish artists on there too playing in the Bars and towns, it sets the atmosphere brilliantly.I'm thoroughly enjoying Krater. It hails from the same dungeons as Diablo II and Baldur's Gate II but brings it forth into the new generation of games. The soundtrack is brilliant, there's elements of Vangelis in there from Blade Runner and quite a lot of (I'm assuming the developers favourite) Swedish artists on there too playing in the Bars and towns, it sets the atmosphere brilliantly. It can feel a little grindy, especially when your characters just died in a dungeon and you need to recruit and train up new ones, but aside from that, the game is fun, light hearted and epic all rolled into one. I'm looking forward to seeing some more of the game in my next play. Collapse
  21. Jun 19, 2012
    The professional reviews for this game are absurd. It's fun, addictive, well supported (thus far) and very promising. A lot will depend on Fatshark's continued support and followthrough, but even as it stands now there is no way in hell this game deserves an average of 38.

Game Journalism indeed.
  22. Sep 23, 2012
    After all those patches, to fix all those bugs, and all those crashes, the game finally became soooo worth buying. I can honestly say that this is the most charming game I've played in my life, and the gameplay is fantastic as well. A truly engaging story, and fantastic nature to explore. And the extra that makes it a 10/10 is the town designs, and the brilliant music throughout the game.After all those patches, to fix all those bugs, and all those crashes, the game finally became soooo worth buying. I can honestly say that this is the most charming game I've played in my life, and the gameplay is fantastic as well. A truly engaging story, and fantastic nature to explore. And the extra that makes it a 10/10 is the town designs, and the brilliant music throughout the game. So to sum up, it's really really worth buying, I would easily have spent double the money to get this game. Expand
  23. Jun 14, 2012
    A refreshing game-- refreshingly vibrant post-apoc setting, refreshingly "mercenary" take on ARPG character development conventions, and refreshingly challenging compared to a few other ARPGs I could name.
  24. Jun 18, 2012
    Great game, even if they are still plenty of bugs n stuff. FatShark is putting out steady patches since release though and promises free DLC and in a few weeks they will have coop in the game which is a big part of the reason I bought the game. No idea why the critic reviews are so low this game is a diamond in the rough.
  25. Jun 13, 2012
    The skill system could use some workout but it is a polished and enjoyable postapocalyptic actionrpg. There are not so much around, so you must play what you get.
  26. Jun 18, 2012
    Fantastic, game. Superb graphics, interesting story, fresh mechanics, awesome atmosphere and really good music. Worth more than $15. Must have for all RPG fans!
  27. Jun 18, 2012
    I like it, well worth $20 (collector's edition)! Running it on Windows 8, got it through Steam. It actually reminds me a lot of the old syndicate game (not the current suckage), or even wasteland to a certain degree.
  28. Jun 29, 2012
    I've read a lot of harsh reviews around the net and find this a bit saddening, not the usual love being spread for Indi developers. I have not experienced the bugs that others have, however i chose to wait a couple of weeks post release before buying this game and have not had any game breaking glitches or interface errors. Apparently at first release it was absolutely awful, and perhapsI've read a lot of harsh reviews around the net and find this a bit saddening, not the usual love being spread for Indi developers. I have not experienced the bugs that others have, however i chose to wait a couple of weeks post release before buying this game and have not had any game breaking glitches or interface errors. Apparently at first release it was absolutely awful, and perhaps this is where the disparate reviewer and user scores are coming from, reviewers likely to have sought the package as early as possible to compete for release. I submit that these fellows ought to play it again and re-review. v1.05 was released today i believe. Metacritic Version Control, that might be nice.

There is something creepy and beautiful about this game, the music is infectious, i found myself still hearing it in my head whilst at work, in the shower etc. Insanely beautiful. The graphics are soft and gorgeous and the play style is nicely balanced so you can progress at your own pace in combat and return to base to lick your woulds should you step a little further into enemy territory than you ought to have. The only thing I dislike about this game so far, and I say this as a thoroughly hooked Krater-addict just before i'm about to hop back into it and do some more slaying - I wish there was more back story. But having read that there will be DLC and more games in the series - I can only pray this comes to fruition.

Loot drops, varied bad-guys, loads of missions and locations and a constant pressing interest in gaining more power so you can explore further out without having your face handed to you (3 times).

Spoken dialogue is pretty much non-existent, but that's par for the course not the exception, and irrelevant for the style of game. Excel spreadsheets with hammers and knives, that's the ticket.

I couldn't quite understand the level 5 cap when i began, but it' has been modified to a 15 cap with increments of 5 levels that you are able to obtain from a particular type of NPC. Even at 15 levels it seemed small - then it dawned on me, you simply continue to upgrade your characters slots, the leveling is really just a "quantity" slot cap, not a character quality cap - but you're not restricted to re-allocating your slots in any way you like and each upgrade has multiple levels, each level has perky increments. This unfortunately overlooks the underpinning gamer psychology that prompted marketing types to ram "Achievements" down everyone's throat like a giant pocket evacuating lozenge.

One of the most addictive and fresh games I've come across, easily worth 4 times the asking price, please don't miss out on it because a few critics happened to take a peek before the cake was fully baked. :)
  29. Dec 4, 2012
    This game had so much promise. An interesting but failed take on the action RPG genre. At launch it was a buggy mess. Full of game breaking and crashing glitches. It launched without the promised multiplayer. In fact multiplayer was delayedeven further so that they could work on the games many flaws. When it did launch it was not what was promised pre-release. They had listed it on steamThis game had so much promise. An interesting but failed take on the action RPG genre. At launch it was a buggy mess. Full of game breaking and crashing glitches. It launched without the promised multiplayer. In fact multiplayer was delayedeven further so that they could work on the games many flaws. When it did launch it was not what was promised pre-release. They had listed it on steam as a co-op game and it is... kinda. It has co-operative portions. This is a little nit picky on my part but still another way that Fatshark has failed to deliver. Fatshark as a company are simply pitiful. Everything they release is overpriced, undersupported, buggy as hell and fails to deliver on their lofty pre-launch promises. Save the money and get something worth while or at least wait till a 80% Steam sale. Expand
  30. Aug 7, 2012
    Krater is a unique take on the post apocalyptic theme set in Sweden, following some sort of devastating war or event that has changed everything. The story elements are pretty vague yet it gives you enough to push onward and start your adventure.

There are many things i want to say in this review without making it too long but trying to get my point across. as it stands Krater isn't

as it stands Krater isn't complete, the current game is the first of a three part story, which sets the stage for what very well may lead to a gripping conclusion. You start off with a rag tag bunch of characters, the game uses the basic trinity roles system that is Tank, Healer, Dps. Its a tried and true system that works well in RPG's. after learning the basics you'll be flung out on your first quest to start ranking up and finding items.

The game doesn't opt for a traditional gear setup that you see in the likes of wow or skyrim, instead it has its own system of implants and boosters that complement each characters stats, when your characters rank up, they unlock more slots for both. It does make for some interesting configurations, you can have a health heavy buffer tank, or a flimsy yet powerful DPS, the variety is rather vast for what is currently in game.

You will find out quite quickly that your starting party will not make the final cut and losing characters after 6 consecutive deaths will permanently end that characters existence, after the 4th death, characters gain a permanent debuff that is well, permanent, they can range from any kind of reduction to stats from what i've experienced its percentage based and in some cases can severely hamper any given character, thankfully you can buy characters constantly through the numerous hubs dotted around the nicely crafted world map, which has quite a few locations to explore.

Back to the character for one moment, your starting party will eventually cap themselves at rank 5, but thats not the end, rank 15 is the current cap for each character but starting characters will need to unlock this with money and newly added boot camp NPC's, its a bit of a money sink but its not a big deal.

without giving away any thing else ill try to wrap this up, the game could use some more depth, if you want to compare this game to other games like fallout and dungeon siege which are good contenders because not only are they older they play nearly the same way, you level up, you grind gear and you complete missions its a good addition to the genre what i have come to feel is that, when comparing the game to others, its better to realize that what this game does, and doesn't do is all part of its uniqueness, if they had copied lots of random elements from other games it wouldn't feel unique it would just be a clone.

I'm giving the game an 8, because the potential is there, the developers are very keen on hearing player feed back and they are hard at work at implementing features that players want to see, I have rarely seen such dedication to a fan base which is great knowing that it will continue to grow and get better.

overall the art direction is awesome, the sound is nice and for the most part is really is a fun game, I've placed at the writing of this about 50hrs into the game and still want to keep looking for extra rare items to beef up my party.

there are a bunch of lessons Krater can learn from similar titles, but hopefully they keep the game as unique as possible so it doesn't end up playing like a clone of something else.

I am happy with my purchase it was definitely worth the asking price and I am eagerly awaiting the next iterations.

a couple of the bigger flaws would be that, questing, like all RPG's becomes a bit repetitive after a while, there isn't an insane amount of depth compared to say, dungeon siege 2, but what you get in the package along with the constant updates that are planned, I feel that the current score of 54 is far too low and this game should be at least a 75 working its way up to a 8 or even an 85 when all is said and done.
  31. Jun 14, 2012

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 13, 2012
    Krater has a lot of good things going for it: an original setting (post-apocalyptic Sweden!), a fresh take on ARPG leveling mechanics, a moody soundtrack… Sadly, the monotonous and boring combat makes playing it a chore. Kudos for Fatshark for actively patching their game, but only time will tell whether the potential will ever be fulfilled. [Aug 2012]
  2. Sep 25, 2012
    This game will bring you only pain and humiliation. It will drive you insane, filling your nightmares with many-colored bears.
  3. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Mixed emotions… Krater tries to be a squad-based action RPG, but ultimately it does not fully deliver, neither as squad-based, nor as action-hack/slash, nor even as an RPG- and that is truly a shame, for there was something really brilliant here. Still, it remains a fun way to pass many game-hours. [August 2012]