7.8

1. Nov 13, 2011
    After playing this game for five days I am still just giving it a 5 out of 10 due to technical issues. Despite some people claiming its the users fault, the game is simply not optimized for some hardware. Numerous reviews have also commented on the less than acceptable FPS on many systems.I am playing on a Intel Duo core 3ghz, 4gb ram and geforce 560 ti, and even on low it is unplayable. I can run Shogun 2 and Skyrim in full glory, no FPS slowdown whatsoever. There is no reason why LA Noire needs a quad core to run acceptably on low using a mid range system. The fault lies with a shoddy port, not with peoples' systems. If you make a port, do it right, or don't do it at all. Expand
  2. Xon
    Nov 20, 2011
    I like games which are interactive novels or movies. L.A. Noire neatly meets this criteria and brilliantly recreates a colourful period of L.A.'s history. I have never seen a game populated by believable characters who inspire compassion in the player. Nor have I seen real faces with real emotions, from the slight twitch of nervousness to red-faced, bulging eyes of fear.

I didn't pay this
    game for its challenges or playablity. I want to be immersed in a world and interact with the environment. I want a riveting story that rings true.

L.A. Noire delivers this and then some. I loved every second of this hard-boiled slice of life. In later years this game will definitely be looked back on as one of the most ground-breaking games of all time. It is the first game that I felt emotionally involved. And it was a riveting experience.
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    If you're reading these reviews about it being unplayable even on high-end PCs, well these guys must have other problems. Don't have a great PC at all, but it's playing very smoothly for me. Quad Core 2.33ghz, gts 450, 3 gigs ram. Maybe because my top resolution is only 1440x900, but I'm not experiencing problems. Great, great game as well.
  4. Nov 11, 2011
    I'm surprised at the relatively low scores here. I think this game is fantastic. It is what Mafia II was supposed to be on the storytelling/narration front. I'm normally very sensitive to shoddy ports, but this port doesn't seem to have consolitis at all in my opinion. I never played the console version so I can't compare. It certainly seems to control better than, say, Dead Space 1 or 2 did on the PC. The acting, story, and facial animations are world-class, and the facial animations really do raise the emotion of the scenes...you can see people's Adam's apples move when they gulp, for crying out loud! Doesn't sound very important except when you consider that much of what you're doing in the game is trying to find out if people are lying or not. I would say this is a GOTY contender if it weren't for the fact that Arkham City is about to come out, which I assume will dominate. My only gripe is that the cars handle way too well for cars of that era. They're very 'sticky'. It has worked perfectly 'out of the box' for me (purchased on Steam), no stability issues at all, except the game crashes whenever I quit. Obviously that is a non-issue, doesn't affect the experience at all because it only happens when I quit. I also don't have any of the frame-rate issues that some are reporting. Expand
  5. Nov 15, 2011
    You know what your getting with this package. A fantastic game with all the bells and whistles. Im sure you've seen other reviews of L.A Noire, so il just say what's new in this. It features all of the previously released downloadable content for L.A. Noire, including the â
  6. gas
    Nov 26, 2011
    Good idea actually poorly executed. The first big issue is about the porting, the game looks really dated even if on max settings and its nearly unplayable even at lower settings due to a terrible frame rate. Running around seems to watch the TV serie The six million dollar man, its terrible. Beside that i have to tell also the controls are not really working good too and the game its so easy that it seems to play an interactive movie, tbh its one of the worst ports ive seen so far, and the game itself it seems made for 5 years old kids. I wasted money, this game is garbage Expand
  7. Jan 4, 2012
    After taking a few levels to get to grips with this game i think that it is a brilliant game,it does have its flaws tho. I am playing it on a pc with 2x 1gig 4870`s in Crossfire,8 gig of ram and a AMD Phenom BE quad core @3Ghz and i cannot get this game to play smooth at all. I have gone from CF to a single card,had settings on max,had settings reduced,changed GPU drivers but nothing helps which is a big shame because i think its a brilliant game. The thing i don`t get tho is that apart from the characters faces the graphics arn`t all that,i can run Crysis better than this game and that game is in a completely different league when it comes to graphics. I thought that when this was released later for the pc that they had not just ported it from console but it seems that they have done just that.Also the controls are a bit awkward but with all that said,i do think its a clever game,not just some shoot`em up,it does get you thinking,lets just hope that with the second one,they iron out the faults and its because of these faults it only gets a 8. Expand
  8. Nov 25, 2011
    At the highest settings, this game looks like something from the PS2 era. The gameplay is slow, plodding and dull with terrible, floaty controls. The tutorial tips are slow and misleading - during one of the early missions when you chase a suspect, it tells you to hold RMB to stand and aim at him. When you shoot him, you fail the mission because he was injured. This kind of problem plagues LA Noire at every step. Questioning is unintuitive, driving is wonky (sharply turning a corner will leave the camera taking seconds catching up to the direction of the car, while you plough through traffic and pedestrians), shooting is terrible.

It has a few positive merits - the writing appears to be good and the facial animation is very well-done, but it does not justify the £18 I will never see again. It's both an adventure game and an action game and it's a terrible example of either one. If you can run it, get the flawed but infinitely more enjoyable Mafia 2 instead.
  9. Dec 24, 2011
    This is more of a mystery game for me than adventure. Adventure is just a part of this game but the mysteries between the cases are just realistic and are based on history.
  10. Dec 26, 2011
    As good it was on start, as awful it became few hours later. Great idea and nice graphics totally ruined by illlogical and dump dialog and interview decisions. You accuse people with most faint evidence like rope match which is for sure can be found in every 2-nd house in LA. You sit affront a suspect and wandering which size of shoes he wears instead of just looking at his feet. You accuse hobo of "being in some place at 2 a.m." just finding a purse of a victim. He could pick it up later from a dead body, which is normal for his kind. It can't be a sure reason to say he's lying about his whereabouts in exact time! --- So great idea totally buried by dumb scenario.(((( Expand
  11. Nov 8, 2011
    I've only played ~30 minutes or so, but it's hard to go much further due to the terrible controls. I was able to deal with them through the first investigations/brawl, but once you get to the robbery (fairly early on in the game) it's practically impossible to keep playing. The already strange controls become even more frustrating once you entire the game's first gunfight and it's bad enough that I'm going to wait until a patch (assuming they bother with one). As far as graphics go, they have a decent selection of graphics settings but overall the game looks fairly dated and it's clear that they didn't add much aside from better shadows/view distance for the PC release. Higher-res textures should've been included, it's pretty obvious how bad the textures are when playing on a PC (due to being closer to your monitor). Another thing that stood out are the settings for anti-aliasing which only seems to support FXAA, a form of AA designed to work better on NVIDIA cards. Personally I have an ATI card so FXAA doesn't work nearly as well as it would if I were using NVIDIA. I haven't tried forcing AA through CCC, I'll probably do that once they improve the controls.

Thankfully I didn't spend any $ on this as I had credit on the website I purchased it from (GreenManGaming) or I would've regretted my purchase.
  12. May 10, 2012
    I managed to grab this on some sale at steam or other, but it did actually shine out amongst the other games as you actually get to play as a detective, in what-seems to be a GTA game (from Rockstar, so what do you expect?)
    Starting out the game, its a standard GTA-like story driven game. The "sand-box", or "free" style of gameplay however, is very lacking in comparison however. The game
    follows the career of a Detective, some "bad-ass" veteran from WW2 and his hijinx. It would be reasonable to say that this is a cross between an adventure game and a very small part action. - That said, there is also an "interrogation" mini-game to find clues or whatever.
    Whilst on the cover it seems to sound pretty damn cool, it is actually let-down by a number of issues. Firstly, them damn graphics. I mean, they'd be quite good... if it was released by the same time San Andreas came out. But by the release, them flickery shadows, and jaggy edges - you can see that they must have been cutting a few corners. Dated.
    Secondly- the "motto" of Rockstar, so far, (if you looked at GTA, or even Red Dead)- would be SAND BOX. This game is VERY linear. there are "street crime" events that happen in the city, but you'll be doing the same thing for each - Chase, shoot, suspect dead, repeat. To progress the story line, you had to go around interrogating people. you get 3 options "TRUE" , "FALSE", or "DOUBT". - there were many-a-time I had meant things in a certain way and the detective goes nuts for no reason-poopie! That said. > you could actually ask mostly wrong questions for all your suspects- then STILL manage to continue the story. - as punishment, solve street crimes- then carry on the story. pagnnhn!

Conclusion > I actually had a good time for the first hour or two. I mean, the story isn't bad, but it's vastly inferior to anything that GTA gave out. Graphics? They're OK. Game-play? Not too good- not going to touch this for a LONG time. Instead of a detective game like I wanted, it was more like a Japanese style graphic novel where you just watch.
    As a Graphic novel, Im gonna give this a 7, but cos its in the "Games" section, ... 5? but... I did actually want to know what happened... so.. 6? yah...

- I think its time I dug out that copy of "Blade Runner" again, now THAT was detective work!
  13. Dec 30, 2011
    I would really say this is the most original games I have layed in a long time, and it's a pretty damn good port to the PC. -Pros: Controls are very good. -Originality -Emersion -Story -Gameplay -Stability (haven't found even the slightest of bugs) -Realistic car physics (in comparison to GTA 4, Saints row, just cause) -Graphics are clean -Characters are very well created. Cons -Some of the questions and answers are a bit stupid
    -chases seem repetitive.
    -The newspaper stories and the vietnam backstory are very boring to watch.
  14. Dec 30, 2011
    L.A. Noire involves breath taking graphics and structure of the story so that as you play it, you have to constantly remind yourself to use the controller because you drift away thinking you are watching a 1940's detective movie. The facial expressions (animated by real actors and 32 different cameras to get every possible angle of the expression) , will blow you away. A great mix of clue finding, interrogating, and action, make this a game that I for one, had trouble stepping away from. The story line is intense and awe inspiring. A very recommended game for those who enjoy the action, adventure, and mystery genre. Expand
  15. Nov 11, 2011
    First off. Most modern PC games now require Quad core. If you have a dual core, you're so out of luck. A dual core is no longer considered mid range even. Even basic boxes all come with dual core. Quit kidding yourself.

you're going to have to live with this. Take Skyrim for example. You played it yet. Don't expect a massive improvement from Oblivion. Despite the 4 years, it's still DX9, why... Why do you think.

The facial animation on this is outstanding. Go play Skyrim. Tell me what you think. Also, if you're looking for COD non stop action, you really should not be playing a detective game. Put it one way, in Skyrim, you're walking for 90% if the time. COD, its non stop. This game, it's stop start, but that's to be expected, it's a Adventure game, like the old school games. If you're game does not run on steam, contact their tech support. Or Rockstar, I seriously doubt it's not working for everyone who purchased it on steam (like me). Obviously it's your machine configuration. You seriously can't give a game a zero because of this, especially a game you obviously haven't played.

The atmosphere is excellent. The facial animation, characters are great. It really sets the scene for that era. I read that the cars are "sticky" and that they don't suit the cars from that period. Really. You've actually drove cars from that period have you. I imagine they would be sticky, given the weight they used to be. But anyway, it's not a driving simulation. I don't want to spend my time trying to be a formula 1 driver, I want to play the actual game, which is detective work.

If you like the old adventure games, you'll love this. If you don't, why did you buy a detective based game in the first place. Do you not realise that the majority of the time will be spent looking for clues and trying to deduce motives... Wait for GTA V if you want action, or call of duty if you don't want to think. Or skyrim if you're REALLY into hiking.

FWIW, this game is awesome. People are giving a low score because they bought something they had no idea about and thought it was going to be something else, or they are deluding themselves about what kind of rig they have, or they have technical issues that they feel is someone elses fault to resolve.

You're going to need a quad core CPU (as did GTA IV). It runs smooth as silk on my stock SB 2500K and 560ti. at 1640 x 1050, everything maxxed out. If you have anything around this, and like adventure games, you'll love this game.
  16. May 28, 2012
    This game is rushed, and could had been optimized better. The driving in this game is very unrealistic. Its EXTREMELY linear, there is no freedom in this game what so ever, its just mission after mission and I've played up to detective mode and a few missions after-wards. However the facial expressions in this game are amazing and are really well done and are great for asking questions to see if they're lying or not. However it doesn't really show if they're lying enough to make a clear suggestion right. Expand
  17. Jan 2, 2012
    this game is awesome it has a lot of good stuff in the storyline and you are a true detective (from other games that i have played) the only bad stuff that i didnt like is that the faces was doing weird things when they lied and when they not lying most of them just stay still like they frozen LOL the graphics on the mouth and the eyes are perfect but on the hair or on the trees is like i an old game play game! its like they just took the same graphics from the console and put it for the pc just like that without working on it so it was a little bit disappointing :( Expand
  18. Nov 9, 2011
    THIS GAME DOES NOT WORK ON STEAM. I pre-ordered this game and have tried to load it up repeatedly using different fixes (UAC disabled, run with admin, etc.). It just loads up the first screen and the start menu is missing so there is no way to begin. I emailed Rocksteady the problem and they are "looking into adding it to the knowledge base". I dropped $45 on a pre-order game that does not work at launch and now am just sitting around hoping for a fix. Such a buzz-kill on a game I was really looking forward to and I am so disappointed in Rockstar and Steam. Expand
  19. Dec 12, 2011
    Bravo, Rockstar! They've managed to finally cut through the standard mission - shoot - drive type formula to make something engrossing, immersing and totally satisfying. Amazing acting, with especially the interrogation and investigation scenes jumping out, this game is one to be reckoned with - and to be seen as an examplary piece of storytelling, one that merits further elaboration! So game developers, get your **** together and start hiring the Team Bondi guys as they know where it's at if you want to make a real game. Thanks a million for bringing back storytelling and adventures to the gaming world in hi-def! Suggestions for improvement: make he interrogations more interactive, maybe with actual dialog / question choices (a la Monkey Island), make the investigations slightly more difficult- but this is the way things should be heading! Expand
  20. Feb 24, 2012
    Fun game, but piss poor crossover into the PC platform. Game runs slow and makes it pretty much unplayable. It's a shame, I like the game, but won't play it now. I only hope that Rockstar makes GTA V PC playable.
  21. Nov 12, 2011
    Bit dull and boring really, story line doesnt get good until half way through. Rockstar would have been better served making Red Dead Redemption for PC rather than this. Feel like I wasted my money on this :( . Not worth £30+ from Steam. Maybe £15, but its certainly not very exciting or fun.
  22. Jan 2, 2012
    Game starts out like a GTA 4 but within 40 minutes an experienced gamer should make the promotion to detective. 1940's world is incredibly detailed. New face rendering tech is emersive. Fantastic game on sale for $12.49.
  23. Nov 12, 2011
    LA Noire pc version, has left me and it was amazing what I expected, Rockstar finally made â
  24. Jan 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I came to point out more examples of extremely frustrating interrogating and how stupid the game's logic is. Example 1:

You're chasing a boyfriend (unknown location) and girlfriend suspects. You've caught up with the girlfriend and are interviewing her. You just found a train ticket on her dresser that's 1-way from Hollywood to Akron OH. You ask about her "Plans to leave town". Your character inquires if she's trying to skip town. She says she's not and has no idea what I'm talking about. Obviously you have solid evidence she's lying. So "lying" would be the obvious choice with the train-ticket as evidence. Nope. If you click "lying" your character accuses "You know where your boyfriend is, tell me!". The girlfriend challenges "You can't prove I know where my boyfriend is!". Ok... but these things are totally unrelated to the original statement. WTF game.
    Example 2:
    You find a dead wife, you go to her husband's residence and look around for clues. One of the clues is some boat rope found hanging off a boat in his yard, your character notices its the same braid as the ligature marks on the victim's neck. When questioning the husband you ask about "Potential Suspects" by asking the husband if anyone didn't like his wife. He answers "No, she was well liked by everyone, she's fun to be around, I don't know anyone who didn't like her". The correct answer is "lying" because of the boat rope. WTF? How does boat rope prove the husband knows of someone that didn't like his wife?

How about those apples? Game just slapped me in the face. How dare you think the game has to make any sense.
  25. Nov 18, 2011
    Considering that this title was ported by Rockstar, I'm rather surprised at how well it was optimized for PC (in comparison to GTA4, that is). The game is thoroughly enjoyable, and the new facial animation technology is really quite incredible. My only real complaints are with gameplay, in that the game feels quite linear and the enormous city of Los Angeles feels pretty dead outside of whatever investigation you happen to be on. That said, I find this game to be fun and would recommend it to anyone interested in the adventure genre. Expand
  26. Feb 12, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant game... back in 40's. its a bit refreshing to play as a cop. n LA is shown beautifully. the game-play n technology used is fascinating
  27. Nov 18, 2011
    Very good and interesting game. But the fact of play the full scene again and again, and don't be able to manually save frustrate me a bit, bad player experience for me. I feel like Groundhog Day. And some random crashes of the full pc... bad optimized for PC like ALL the Rockstar's games
  28. Jan 2, 2012
    Bought this game in the STEAM winter sale and it was probably the best Ã
  29. Nov 10, 2011
    L.A NOIRE is huge success more then consols
    i finished it on XBOX360 and it was Epic but fail in graphics and loading and etc

PC version is the copy we waited for..the best ever with all DLC
    just GREAT
  30. Nov 19, 2011
    So the top rated negative comment blathers about bad controls... I would like to know what the hell this guy is talking about. The controls are fine. Took me about 5 minutes to get used to them.

Anyway, it may be a bit early for me to write a review, as I have not finished the game, but oh well. The game is good. Not great. The cases are interesting (as are the WWII sequences). The
    gameplay is fun, good mix of detective work and violence (maybe a bit light on the violence for certain tastes). All in all, worth playing, even though I know it will have no replay value whatsoever. Expand
  31. Nov 19, 2011
    While there is mention that this game is 'unplayable', which is not the case. L.A. Noire beings a whole new genre to the gaming industry, using certain camera technology to actually show between lies and the truth, its an unforgettable experience. While not fully optimized for the PC, it is playable, the errors people get are the same with every game and just a simple restart of the game fixes them. It's storyline and graphical system are different from other games, this is a game which allows you to actually play detective, and its a game which you cannot leave behind. Expand
  32. Nov 20, 2011
    I pre-ordered the game and was all hiped up to play with it, so let's start the review. GRAPHICS: well face motion capture is awesome, you feel like you are in a movie... The city is big enough and the content is really ok, the stores have 3D fronts having a lot of things in it and also, what is thrilling is that you will see, a lot of non-gameplay places are even detailed, just go to the union station or go into some sight-seeing buildings which you can enter... ANIMATION: Hell yeah, euphoria engine and so on. Which is a bit disappointing are the cars' movement (not the controlling, that is good enough, but see how are cars going on the streets). CONTROLS: good enough, no signs of f****d-up console porting imho. And the challenging part is when you have to aim on bad guys behind boxes and covers, you don't see the aiming point which is a good thing. STORY: I am in the start-middle of the game but the cases are really awesome, I am currently waiting how things will join together later because there is a big thrilling story behind all cases as I know. The characters are really movie-like, I feel like I am back that time and place and that is what I liked in Mafia for example. Games which can bring you a unique indistinguishable feeling are the greatest of all. Noire feeling is also ok. ORIGINALITY: 99%. OPTIMIZED HARDWARE-USAGE: I did not have problems but i am a kind of exception as I saw, most of the gamers had problems with the game. Let's hope for a good patch boys and girls. GAMEPLAY: A bit single threaded but a great story have to do this with a game. Just think again of Mafia (of course I talk about the first, the second game was totally sh**). Some other minor things like you can collect cars and take some street calls and go sight-seeing to some dedicated places... The last one and the car collecting I think is a bit ruining the overal gameplay, I mean I am in the middle of a story, I don't want to go other places. Maybe when I will end the story I start it again and go sight seeing... OVERAL: 10 points where I mean 95% and this 5% minus is for the inconsistency of extra content (i don't want to interrupt a case for going to sight seeing and so on) and the unoptimized graphics Expand
  33. Nov 27, 2011
    It's a great game, other then the rather bad visuals, the crimes are very well made and controls are easily mastered if given a chance. Needless to say, it's worth playing, but don't think this is some kind of great gaming revolution.
  34. Dec 30, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a good game, but it's far from perfect. The story is great, the facial animations are amazing, but the controls are a bit off. I played the PC version and it took a while to get used to. The controls aren't terrible, but I'm guessing the game is better on a console (bad port?) or with an actual controller. This game is definitely not for everyone. It requires a lot of patience and if you're the type of person who just wants to kill everything in sight and be done with it, this game is not for you. TL;DR ver. Rent. It's a good game, it just doesn't have a lot of replay value. I've been waiting a while for this to be released on PC and while it's not the best game I've played in a while, it's still worth checking out. Expand
  35. Dec 13, 2012
    This game has some interesting concepts, but largely fails in the execution of them: the shootout action sequences are clunky and boring, driving the streets is tedious and the vehicles handle poorly, and collecting clues for your cases is a rather haphazard affair. Then there's the interrogation segments, which regularly involve your character verbally abusing a suspect when you chose to "doubt" them, followed by you apologizing and backtracking. The whole interrogation system is just too illogical and unpredictable: you have no idea what your character will actually say, given any particular option, and backing up your accusations relies on having previously discovered particular clues--catching them in a lie or making reasonable deductions doesn't seem to count for much. One thing the game does do well is providing a detailed and convincing environment of 1940's LA, and the facial graphics are pretty advanced. But these aren't enough to make LA Noire more than a mediocre game in my opinion. Expand
  36. Mar 3, 2012
    Since this is relevant to pc games, know this first. The game has been capped at 30 frames per second, this can be removed via the latest patch and a -60fps command. So I won't mark that against the game. The game also requires a very powerful pc to be able to run at 60 frames per second. It is choppy and unplayable on lower end hardware. If you have a duel core cpu and a low end gpu, take this as a warning. Now, onto the actual game. La noir is a breath of fresh air, taking cue's from adventure games in it's mystery solving, focus on clues, and providing you with the successful illusion that you are solving them. It tells a long and involved story though a string of murders you have to solve, that delves into the territory of serial killers, police corruption and more, and it allows you to travel around an open world while doing so. This alone is enough to cement this game in an interesting heavy rain territory. However it goes a step further by introducing some facinating and downright impressive face animation mapping technology - and implements it in an innovative and involving way. You have to actually study peoples faces to gauge their honesty/personality, and make final decisions that rely entirely on your very own instincts. Putting actual detective skills in the players hands is so worthy of praise - that it makes other game's "new and innovative features" seem dull and lifeless in comparison. When you are as ambitious as this game is however - there will always be a price. In this case the main issue this game has is the outcomes for failing/succeeding. They mostly lead to the same results. Guess wrongly? You still progress in the same way minus a few points that can unlock intuition points (a free answer, basically). This makes your actual detective skills feel consequence free. And that's a shame. In the end, what the game does provide - is unique. Entertaining. Sometimes emotional. An experience like nothing else on the market. If you don't have a monster pc - get the ps3 version instead. Expand
  37. Dec 28, 2011
    First off, the game runs fine for me. I had a glitch off the bat when I got it through steam: all of the animations and actions involving facial animation were omitted until I restarted steam, and then the game updated. Just so you know the game was about 12 gigs, and then a 2 gig update to fix the problem I mentioned (if bandwidth is an issue, buy it in a store). There are a couple of gripes I have with this game. I would like to play through scenes a little more specifically rather than doing every case over from the beginning to try and obtain a perfect score (the save and load features didn't seem that obvious). This is a good game, but if you're buying this based off of "I like GTA" then this might not be for you. While the game does have a GTA feel, it is not really a sandbox and they give you the option to let your partner drive you to locations for a reason (saving time, and causing city damage lowers your score). This is a game for people who like point and click adventures, mystery games, or puzzle games more than a game like GTA. Expand
  38. Nov 27, 2011
    Hmm ! I have steam , and was able to play the games ( using steam as administrator ) . No issue with video ( hd6870 ) I have played 20 minutes and sadly decided not to play anymore . The controls are ok , you need to get the hang of it but are ok after a while . I have simply not appreciated the style . Find it long and boring . I grew up playing Zelda and mario. Big open worlds were you can get lost . Sad experience , i dont care about the facial reality of the caracters . Moving a gun in different angle , omg , it is obvious that there is a serial number , why make it a pain . IF YOU LIKE FPS game and OPEN world , dont pay premium to play this game , wait for the 1.99$ sale in 2 months . THIS WILL NOT BE A CLASIC ! Expand
  39. Nov 11, 2011
    A solid game plagued by a few issues: 1) letterboxing on monitors with 5:4 aspect ratio 2) severe stuttering on some systems despite requirements being met (can be fixed by using the command line arguments -npd -str)
    3) interface could be better
    4) a big city, but very little to do
  40. Nov 16, 2011
    l.a noire is very good , you're so out of luck. A dual core is no longer considered mid range even. Even basic boxes all come with dual core. Quit kidding yourself. I also hear this is a bad port. I got news for you guys, PC's only represent 10% of the gaming market. Until the next gen consoles come out that all support DX11, yâ
  41. Nov 8, 2011
    Adventure games are coming back, I can feel it. L.A. Noire is a good adventure game but the action is LAME-O. Everybody runs from the police, innocent or not, guys are more than likely going to attack you for no good reason. I doubt this satisfied anybody. It just screwed up a good story driven game. L.A. is wonderfully re-created. Too bad driving is pointless and no fun. If you break a headlight your partner scolds you, and it comes out of your paycheck. Phelps kind of reminded me of my manager at work, a real a-hole with a stick up his butt. It gets worse when he cheats on his wife. At that point the character is so flawed you don't mind seeing him die in the end. The back story is told through BORING war flash backs which faithfully occur when you pick up a newspaper. This always presents a problem when you find a newspaper. Do you pick it up and sit through a stupid cutscene? Its like if in Mario 3 the leaf made him sit down and take a nap for 2 minutes. So: Not fully an adventure game, not fully action. Just re-make Grim Fandango already. Expand
  42. Nov 15, 2011
    8 of people including me, having a lag issue with this game and all of us using duo/dual core. even you have the best vga card. it's not going to help you from this lag cuz this game is not optimized for duo/dual core. even thought, this game is way better port comparing with GTA4 only issue is the dual/duo core problem

get this game if you have quad core or better and do not get this
    game if you using dual or duo core. I have to wait for the patch to fix this problem just like GTA4 that ported by Rockstar Expand
  43. Nov 19, 2011
    Good adventure game with great characters, graphics, and atmosphere. The faces in the game are simply amazing. I have never seen a game yet with this detailed facial animations and expressions. I also really love the setting: a noire story set in the late 40's.

However it's far from perfect, the controls are bad and the game is too short.
  44. Apr 22, 2012
    Boooring. I love noire movies. But those convey atmosphere and an interesting plot. The L.A. city looked very convincing, but the atmosphere was barely there. There was something missing. In the retrospective I cannot imagine how this could have worked in a sem sandbox world. The "noirness" of the noir movies comes from conersations, camera work, rightly cued music. Many of those elements cannot take palce when you are running around etc. Expand
  45. Jan 10, 2012
    Once I picked this game up I haven't put it down! I'm addicted!! What they do well is immersion. The game makes you feel like your in the 1940's. The detective work, which maybe a little easy for some, I found very interesting & exciting. As the levels progress the cases get more detailed and try to keep you guessing. I really didn't expect to like this as much as I did. 9/10.
  46. Jan 11, 2012
    I first played this on a mates ps3 so when it came to I got it on the first day this comes with all the extra add on stuff that ps3/xbox360 owners had to pay extra for on pc the only fault is the controls They will make you mad at first but I got used to them the fight controls are stupid this is worth a try
  47. Jan 20, 2012
    If not for Skyrim, the noire obviously would number one in my rankings this year. Although I would put them together in the first place). The original, breakthrough game. Developers have created a great story with dozens of characters and events. Everything is perfect, not counting the schlock in some places with graphics (such as blurred textures in some lanes), but it's easy to close your eyes, and frankly do not care) It is also a very good port on the PC, but is rare. Collapse
  48. Dec 2, 2012
    I cannot believe how immersive this game is. The compelling stories, the life-like characters, and the intricate period details, all add up to one of my favorite game experiences this year. Minus a point for some technical glitches and awkward combat controls.
  49. Apr 9, 2012
    Fantastic game - a very big shock to find myself enjoying it as much as I did - I was pleasantly surprised.
    Sure it may not have a lot to do in the very large open world that it includes but the story itself more then makes up for that. I did realise that I'm not as great a detective as I thought I would be though!
    Performance wise I'm not sure if I'm just lucky
    but I was running it on my rather old GTX295 without any performance hassles (at 1920x1200 with 2x Anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering with everything set at Quality settings) that I could notice. The cars physics are a little off at times and on the rare occasion I had a car vanish in traffic right in front of my eyes (perhaps I should lay off the whisky?).
    Controls were fine on PC and the overall I never had any crashes, freezes or any other silly things so I can't complain.
    A fantastic gem of a game that I had put off for so long - if you enjoy solving riddles and something a little deeper than the "gun down Mr X, Pop Mr Y" then you'll love L.A. Noire!
  50. Mar 22, 2012
    Only get the game on Steam as otherwise you will probably have problems. I got it on disc and it wouldn't run, so grabbed it in the Steam sale and works like a charm. I love the storyline and by no means is it easy, you can judge a characters face who clearly looks suspicious but yet could be telling the truth. You get a Truth Doubt or Lie choice on interview, and if you choose lie have to back it up with evidence from your notebook. Each time you gain rank you gain 1 intuition point, which allows you to see what the rest of the community chosen on a specific answer with a percentage of who got it correct. A really good game. Expand
  51. Jan 7, 2012
    A breath of fresh air! The game I've been waiting for Rockstar or someone else to MAKE this game!
    THE GOOD GUY! This is like Mafia II, but you are the good guy, has great car controls and movement control of the characters. Had Mafia II been able to get their vehicles to control as good as L.A. Noire it would have been almost just as good. Their new facial movement technology really helps
    you get into the story with way more realism. Call me strange, but I'm always bothered by boxy, jerky mouths and unnatural body movement in cut scenes.

My only complaint so far is it's not as "open world" as GTA 4 but there is plenty to do. This game does a good balance between a true to live Police game and a fun action game. Not 100% real, not 100% action and killing. If you are looking for an open world like GTA this might not be the game for you. But if you are looking for a fun game as a Police Officer/Detective with mixed action, clues, shoot outs, chases, investigations, and more, it's a great game! I gave it a 9 out of 10 and knocked off 1 point because it would have been nice to have either multiplayer or a "FREE RIDE" open world option. THANKS ROCKSTAR for finally coming out with a "GOOD GUY" game
  52. Nov 8, 2011
    So far runs smooth. Controls are great I am using a 1st gen corei7 6 GB and Ait 5870 with the preview drivers for rage and battle field so nothing that fancy . One bug have to launch steam in admin mode for My game to launch setting are set to quality
  53. Jan 6, 2012
    The game really very good. Perfectly conducting investigations, nice story in each of the new investigations, to the personal story of the main character. And then there also cool the climate of those years, super-chases, as well as on foot or in car. The game is great, although sometimes scheme implemented here that could at times when bored at times but only because the game is super all the time. Rockstar and Team Bondi please for more adventure. My rating - 8.5 / 10 Expand
  54. Dec 12, 2011
    The game has a great story with some inventive mechanics. however for the pc Version it is clearly a port. the are lots of problems with objects that just pop in even on advanced pcs.
  55. Jan 12, 2012
    LA Noire is not so much a game as it is a work simulator. A clunky restrictive simulator that holds players hostage as they wade through the minutia of pseudo detective work. The dime store narrative and ham acting leave LA Noire with almost no redeeming qualities save for its Steam sale price.
  56. Mar 22, 2012
    This game is a awesome game, not a master piece but a really good game!
    Lets start by the gameplay, in the first 2 hours of the game its just freaking good.
    But then the game starts to get a little repetitive, there are some new things to the gameplay later on, but its still repetitive. Its not boring or anything, like the cars chases and fight scenes those are so cool even if you play it
    over and over it will still be fun.
    Now lets talk about controls.
    The controls are just simple,classic and good, W-A-D-S to move, mouse and space-bar to investigate, fights etc...
    Now lets talk about the graphics.
    The graphics are just wonderful...The faces are super-duper realistic, the city is really realistic too and the voice actors help a lot to create a more realistic aspect.
    People say that the game is too "strong" on the graphics and most of the people say its unplayable, I have a PACKARD-BELL IxTreme with Intel Core I5 and a NVIDIA Geforce GT320 1024MB VidoCard, The game runs smoothly but some times has a little slow down, expect that the game is just fine.
    I give this game a 9/10 because I really enjoyed it.
    I think if you like detective games this one will be for you!
  57. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is like a boring film. To long, to boring I took one mission for more than 3 hours! Lost the mission. After that I do not want to play this ... But,It can not be called a bad game
  58. Dec 30, 2011
    The interviews were an interesting concept at 1st but it quickly became boring. The game feels like it doesn't really matter what you do it'll eventually come to an end. I never bothered to finish it because I became saturated by boredom. The driving wasn't all that interesting and the combat scenes were poor at best mostly due to controls.
  59. Jan 1, 2012
    Please, please don't waste your money on this game for the PC. I can see how it's probably a decent game for the 360/PS3 but this port is just ridiculously bad. I'm glad that I only spent 12.00 on it for the Steam sale. Even then it really isn't worth it.
  60. Jan 11, 2012
    The basic idea of the Game, which is actually solving crimes, is something very rarely seen nowadays. Thats why i liked it so much, it feels like something new. However the mini games are nohting special, but suits into the game style. The motion Capturing thing impresses me a lot, although the rest of the graphics isnt so shiny at all. But it doesnt need to since the story is very great.
    For those who like story games and solving crimes is that the game u are searching for.
  61. Jan 24, 2012
    Pretty much just a storytelling game. The extent to which a player actually effects the outcomes is fairly limited. Sure you can pin a murder on x when it was probably y, but... so what. You still slog through the story same as before. As far as graphics and gameplay complaints voiced by others, I did not experience any problems whatsoever. I ran the game on full graphics with minimal tweaks and did not experience any framerate or crash issues at all. The detail level was fairly impressive. This game will keep you busy for a day or two, but after that, you'll either be finished or bored, and it's replay value is non-existant. Expand
  62. Feb 6, 2012
    This game is a ton of fun. The story takes a very strange turn towards the second half, but it was very well written.

I had a few small complaints about the game, but the only things I want to mention here is that there is ZERO replay value other than achievement hunting.
  63. Feb 19, 2012
    Beautiful game, brilliant plot-- love the way they interwove three stories into one game. I'm also incredibly fond of all the characters, and the animation is brilliant, particularly the expressions. LA is beautiful, and so are its cars. Someone really knows their history as well, and it shows. Over all, excellent and under rated game.
  64. Feb 22, 2012
    Very nice game.A great story. Poor management and optimization = 10-2 = 8 A lot of people compare this game with the Mafia game is absolutely wrong they have in common only the fact that the action games there in the first half of the 20th century in this respect, the game is much closer to those games like Heavy rain and Alan Wake. Most of the game like a very sad ending is drawn in detail the injustice of our lives, where the good die first, and the bastards are still living Expand
  65. Apr 14, 2012
    If LA Noire was a masterpiece, and in my opinion one of the best games ever made, this version with all DLC already included, which increases experience, and bring back to LA of 1940 to the fore. This edition creates something just as incredible that any player that if preze can not lose. Simply a Masterpiece
  66. Apr 24, 2013
    It's hard to something positive to say about L.A. Noire. I suppose the detail in the city of LA was fantastic, which, while it was artistically impressive, didn't add much to the enjoyment of the game. I'm giving Rockstar a little credit for the effort. I appreciate what they set out to do, but I don't think it was executed competently. Firstly, the foundation of the gameplay is crime-solving via scrutiny of simulated facial expression and a collection of evidence. This means you are evaluating the veracity of statements based on the performances of actors (of variable talent) who are all essentially lying (since they are acting) as reinterpreted through the facial rendering engine. This technology is another failure. It looks like nothing more than low res video being played over a 3D model of a human head. All the characters looked like dead-eyed, shifty, slime-faced androids. Many were hard to distinguish. Which brings me to the characters. There was a lot of content to this game, about 18 hours for me, but it was vastly more concerned with breadth than depth. I never felt invested in any of the characters because none of them felt human. I still don't understand the motivations of the protagonists. This game could possibly have been something in another studio's hands, I still find the idea intriguing, but in the state it was released it's not worth either the investment of time or money. Expand
  67. Nov 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game goes into my favourite list. The game may have some technical issues, but the game itself it is just amazing. They have made an real life effect into the game, and in the game it is much things that is like real life detective cases. I think Rockstar Games and Team Bondi did make this game really look awesome. This game may not be loved by everyone, but I like it as an fan of murder/detective games.
    I give this game a 10/10. In case you like detective/murder games then I highly recommend you to buy this one.
  68. Feb 12, 2013
    This game has the best face animations of characters you can see in a video game, thanks to a newly developed "face mimics motion capturing technology", which belongs to Rockstar Games. Period. Besides that, the story is strong, gameplay is enhanced with so much fun, graphics are mostly stunning, sounds and musics, that mirrors the NOIR theme of that era, is just amazing. Do not hesitate on buying this game. The Complete Edition deserves all the praises it receives. Expand
  69. Jul 4, 2012
    LA Noire is a masterpiece! if you love deduction, the 40's atmosphere and some outstanding actors performance, you really got to play this one! I'm 60% at the time of reviewing, and there is almost no downside to this game! As of today (July2012) , the game is overall good optimized! (Intel Q9550, GTX560Ti, 4GB DDR2...) fast loading, stable 30 fps, all on max, really decent graphics!

i don't tend review games on metacritic, i made for this one an exception, cause it is really a good one!
  70. Feb 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a game that built up slowly, until I was completely hooked onto the plot and the way the entire story twists and turns: very impressive. The gameplay itself is typical from the publisher of GTA, perhaps a bit more pedestrian than usual (in terms of combat), but it was easily made up by the enjoyable car physics (and various things your partner would say while running into a variety of things...always entertaining) as well as the incredible gumshoe framework. Gathering clues and interviewing people never got boring. The most disappointing part of the game for me, in the end, is actually the finale: yet another gigantic combat scenario with a finish that left a HUGE bitter taste in my mouth. SPOILER: The ending is just awful, imo: everything that Phelps is working toward is completely erased, and his memory is pissed upon at his funeral, with the corruption of the police establishment firmly intact. I suppose that there's hope that the honest ADA who remains could, over time, fight for less corruption, but it would have been nice to have more details about what happened in the future, so that I didn't feel like all the work I put into my character was all for nothing. Not being able to bring the chief of police down is a MAJOR disappointment, and although it might have been "historically accurate" it left the plot completely unsatisfying. Makes me less sad that the developer went out of business after the production of this game: they clearly aren't very good at plot endings. Expand
  71. Feb 21, 2013
    LA Noire is an excellent game. The investigative gameplay is enjoyable, as is quizzing the suspects and witnesses. The weakest parts of the game are car chases and foot chases/shootouts, but fortunately those are brief and far in between.

The story is good and the main body of the game is good. While the ending is not as good as it could be, overall, the game is still quite excellent
    and well worth your time (and money).

Why not a 10/10? A few reasons.

1) The ending. After spending the whole game investigating, the final level of the game involves you running around killing people with a flamethrower. I'm not even joking. While this sort of gameplay is interspersed throughout the game and isn't wonderful when it comes up, it is rare enough that it is fine. It overstays its welcome at the end of the game.

2) While the acting in the game is overall quite good, when you let suspects sit around after questioning them, some of them behave... very oddly. And not in the "oh we're obviously guilty" way, but in the "the actor is clearly trying to convey SOMETHING but it is hard to tell what" kind of way. The motions end up exaggerated, and as this is one of the things you're supposed to be using to tell whether a suspect or witness is lying or not, it is a bit of a problem the motions are so unnatural that you can't tell what they're supposed to be doing.

3) This is a minor point, but there are a few times in the story where you are presented with two suspects and you are forced to charge one or the other, but it is obvious that neither of them is actually guilty of the crime at hand there's no option NOT to charge them, which would be the correct choice. While not a big deal, it would have been nice to have the ability not to lay charges in some cases.
  72. Mar 15, 2012
    Poor console based controls on the PC Version, poor support of hardware forcing you to turn down the detail to play a game that should easily be able to run smoothly on max settings and a cut scene heavy game to tell a story with very poor sections of game play in between. This is more movie than game and the game play elements are really pretty poor over all. If you like movies, perhaps renting the movie version of this if they make one would be a better and cheaper than buying it full price as a game only to end up watching the best parts because the interactive gameplay parts really suck. Expand
  73. Mar 16, 2012
    A very unique and original game in my opinion. Loved the 1940's LA setting. Driving is one of the highlights - controls feel very smooth. One of the few PC games I preferred a gamepad over mouse/kb. With over 20 cases in the Complete Edition the storyline started to drag in the middle, but picked up toward the end. Interrogations can be frustrating if you repeatedly guess wrong. Feels like too much time is spent watching cut scenes. Overall a quality experience, recommended. Expand
  74. Feb 11, 2012
    Played for 3 hours and then quit after becoming bored. I don't buy games so it can play for me. This game is bacially a interactive movie and even a training-wheels for Grand Theft Auto games. The city is overdone, there is so much to explore but no real "free mode". A linear story mode. **** graphics. I've seen better in GTA4. Too much cutscenes. Too little controls. Basically just push the left stick up to get on ladders and climb up, similar to call of duty - a sign that it is designed for consoles in mind. Expand
  75. Jul 9, 2012
    An instant classic, trades in a linear play style for excellent presentation and acting, superb story and cinematic gameplay. Some users have reported technical difficulties getting this game to run even on high-end systems but mine was fine (at the time I used AMD Phenom X4 9750, 4GB RAM, Radeon Sapphire HD 6850 running at 1440x900).
  76. Jan 9, 2013
    Only just got this game recently all ways looked at it never bought it but couldn't not buy it on special Overall i like this game it has given me alot of game play which i look for in a game and is pretty good challenge i like decent free roam game It is a easy to play game and has alot of good quality's that would appeal to a wide range of people from investigating crime scene to driving to shooting its all there plus get to be good guy and solve crimes rather than commit them The bad well every game now days has bad points this game is shooting psychics for me they just dont feel right Overall i will keep playing this game and probably replay it once i have completed it i think Rockstar did good job here getting into something no one else has I would really like to see this game put into modern times and made to fit in with todays crimes and investigations techniques i think that would take off because old style will not appeal to all Expand
  77. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If this game wasn't so unique it would have fared far worse than a 7/10. The crime solving and scouring for clues and reading peoples face expressions are all just so damn fun to do and you get a real sense of accomplishment when you correctly call someone out who was lying. The groundbreaking technology used for the facial expressions is amazing, unfortunately not every character in the game has it so the animations for those characters looks really bad when they are side-by-side with one that does. Also, sometimes people will do the exact same thing when they tell the truth and when they lie, making telling the difference quite difficult. The game also has numerous "noobie friendly" features such as intuition points that can show you locations of clues or tell you whether someone is lying. If you fail a chase sequence or shootout a few times in a row you will get the option to skip it and continue on with the crime solving.

Unfortunately this game has a large amount of bugs and flaws. I have only played the PC version so I am not sure if some of these are specific to the PC version or not. The sound can glitch during some cutscenes. I had the sound of my machinegun firing throughout an entire cutscene a few times and then it continued after as well, forcing me to quit the game and restart. The actors use modern lingo a few times such as "legit" and that really bothered me as the voice acting was suberb and lingo from the 40's was prevalent throughout. Sometimes cars will just disappear off the screen. THis one was quite common and I found cars just vanishing from my screen as I approached an intersection. The controls are floaty and when you run you feel like you are that fat cop who eats donuts all day instead of an agile ex-marine. The combat and cover system is bad. I would commonly fund myself unable to move through my cover, leave cover or even go into it. You can still get shot while behind cover. Aiming isn't fluid and you will often find your crosshair skipping along. I can see why the xbox version had aim assist as it is just hard to do manually. The graphics on weapons isn't very good, but the effects of the guns shooting and the recoil of them is very well done.

There are a lot of collectible that are made easy to find by the Rockstar Social Club which lists all of your accomplishments in detail on their site. The story was great and the ending was great as well (But it seems some people didn't feel this way) The big twist that came near the end of the game was seemingly out of nowhere, i'm not really sure why the character did that but what came after that point was a more sensible, easier to follow story that i really enjoyed. The biggest problem i had, and this was prevalent on all version of the game, is that the FPS lags a ton. THis is very noticeable during driving sessions as your vehicle will skip forward. Luckily you can fast travel anywhere in the world which is great. Overall, the uniqueness of this game makes it well worth a look, but there are many flaws to bring it down. Do careful research before purchasing.
  78. Dec 27, 2011
    This game is tricky to review. The idea does make sense and the mood of 1940s LA is captured perfectly. However, the game gets quite repetitive and a bit boring later on and there is also quite a few bugs and glitches. It also tries to shovel in unnecessary FPS action into it. If you are thinking of buying this, be cautious.
  79. JYT
    Jan 6, 2012
    On PC Windows 7. The graphism are well made and the characters looks cool. Unfortunately the controls when driving the car is totally awful it made the playabilty awful. It is also a bas idea to save automatically while driving or chasing a bad guy, all stops and then the car does not respond and crashes. Like assassin creed, the story is linear which means you either pass each stage or you don't progress. there are not multiple route to the end which is poor really. The character should reach the end by multiple routes. Expand
  80. Mar 2, 2012
    You can really feel the discrimination of platform from the developers by playing this game on PC. I mean, those guys could have done better on the PC. Well, I could really give 10/10 if they can make it better on PC. For the game, great story, great gameplay. I really feel like I am a detective in the game. Great voice casting too. Also, very convincing facial expression and very detailed world. If you guys happen to own a Xbox360 or PS3 buy, just buy the game for the consoles. If you have a PC, you can really give it try. Expand
  81. Feb 22, 2012
    This is a good game. Not as much freedom as the GTA series, but the ambiance of 1940's L.A. is great. The game doesn't have much replay-ability due to the aforementioned lack of freedom. You kind of have to go from one point to the next (even though you can choose to answer calls while en route). My machine is relatively modest, but tends to play most new games at medium settings, but this one doesn't run smoothly even on the lowest settings. It appears to be a rather poor port from the consoles (shock). Despite this, the game is pretty good. I would especially say it is worth a try especially if you can get it at less than full price. Expand
  82. Mar 13, 2012
    Yet another brilliant port from Rockstar. *sarcasm* In all seriousness, I guess this is what happens when you focus more on the consoles than on all platforms, or maybe they're just too plain incompetent, as the only good port I saw from R* was the PC version of Vice City. And it didn't help that they used a clunky DRM system that reminds me of some draconian anti-cheat system from Korea. The storyline and overall concept is brilliant though, plus the addition of licensed cars and a (mostly) accurate depiction of downtown Los Angeles adds to the charm. Expand
  83. Jul 19, 2012
    This game is basically must get for all fans of L.A. Confidential movie. L.A. Noire brings good combination of adventure and GTA games together in glittering shine of post war era. Graphic is nice, sounds are well handled. For some downside might be 30fps cap. The game is fairly linear but i don't think it would help if you could try solving 3-4 cases at once. It would get fairly complex. Interrogations are sometimes more of guessing than really figuring out whether that person is lying to you or not. Over all this game is pretty solid. Expand
  84. May 20, 2012
    Its good thing to try ... may get boring in sometime .. but still with good narrative plot and nice facial motion .. this game is cool .. The interrogation events can be bit letdown too .... just need to have focused mind
  85. Jun 29, 2012
    This game is a diamond in the rough. The graphics look dated, although all the face related things are quite good. The game play is decent but not amazing. The place where this game really shines is the story. The story is fantastic and the characters are all extremely well done. Would recommend this game to anyone who is patient enough to see through it's flaws.
  86. Jul 2, 2012
    To start with, I can honestly say I've never had a love for a video game like I've had for L.A. Noire. The graphics are not the greatest ever seen, detail in objects lacks; how ever during interrogations, facial expressions are very well drawn. I don't full-on action games, I like ones that have a strong story line to aid it; L.A. Noire's story is the best graphical story I've come across so far. The characters are very well described throughout the story and scenes in the game make you think. There is no shortage of surprises and suspense is not scarce. If you're one to enjoy a mysterious but thrilling action game (with some very nice jazz in the background), then L.A. Noire is without competition. Expand
  87. Jul 29, 2012
    Not worth your time or money, it's just another **** console port released by Rockstar. Not only is the main character completely unlikeable, the game is also inconsistent in the way it handles "evidence". Good job, Rockstar! Then we have the ridiculous serial killer planting evidence all over the city and in peoples homes setting other people up for crimes they did not do. REALLY, ROCKSTAR?! REALLY?!!??! What finally ruined it for me was the INDIANA JONES-STYLE **** that you have to do later in the game. What the **** were they thinking?! Chandelier-swinging in a game like L.A. Noire?! **** you, Rockstar! **** you sideways in the ass with a two-by-four! ZERO POINTS to you Rockstar for ****ing this game up so badly! Expand
  88. Aug 13, 2012
    If you ever wanted to be a detective, interrogate people and find clues, then play L.A. Noire. A great detective game with bunch of cases, interesting and groovy story. You don
  89. Jul 8, 2012
    The game lured me in with a 1940s seetting, and then delivered one of the better written stories, i've experienced, in a beautiful and detailed city. The length of the game is impressing, and most cases have an own story to tell, so the game won't feel all the same. The "motion capture" technique used to recreate the faces of actors is just amazing, and you can actually recognize the actors and see real faces, rather then a animated version. A bonus is that the DLC that comes with this version of the game is actually weaved in with the main storyline, rather than having some random cases with no connection to the game afterwards. Loved it! Try it! Expand
  90. Jul 13, 2012
    Its a very interesting game, you have 21 cases and every case is interesting in his own way, the city is very big and you have over 50 different cars to drive. But from my point of view its sometimes hard to follow the cases especially if they are talking about cases that you solved some time ago. Another big minus for me is the steering of the car. It is very hard to control a car with the W A S D keys at high speed with the keyboard. The firefights are ok but not very spectacular. Overall a very interesting and good game. Expand
  91. Dec 3, 2013
    L.A. Noire is solid adventure game overall. Narrative is top-notch, and the overall setting is authentic enough for most of gamers to immerse themselves into this game. I can confidently say that L.A. Noire is just like GTA, but taking place in 1950's Hollywood. This means, that L.A. Noire suffers same shortcomings that GTA has also suffered.

I want to start off with interrogation
    system first, as it is the main focus of the game. Here, you need to find out whether suspect is hiding something or speaking truly by looking at their facial animations. Then, players can choose three options after listening to the suspects you can either believe them, doubt them, or prove them that they are lying. This is where the problems with interrogation sequence kicks in There are no place for player's reasonings to come in. You just choose one of three options, and your avatar Cole Phelps or his sidekick will do come up with all the reasonings. It is fatal flaw for game that focuses heavily on investigations for its gameplay. Rather than feeling like detective in 50s, it feels more like watching detective film. That said, if you buy this game looking for action, you better look for other games.

This is same problem suffered by the GTA series. You'll feel freedom when you're racing through highway with cops on your tail, but there are little to no freedom regarding what you do in in-game missions. In L.A. Noire, whole game is basically an in-game mission of GTA, so there aren't any freedom in it, except maybe running over some innocent citizen with bouquet on their hand. Lack of freedom leads to one conclusion L.A. Noire didn't do well enough to utilize its open world setting. Although there are whole world to explore, after finding few hidden cars and solving emergency dispatch missions, you'll just going to hear lot of "straight through the intersection." You'll find the open world interesting at first, but it will just all come down to boring rollercoaster ride once the amazement has weared off.

The action part of the game is... questionable. Since it is an adventure game that focuses on the investigation, it is normal that the action part cannot compare to other AAA quality TPS games. One might argue that the action part is good enough for games like this, but one might also argue that the developers could've done better job with it. It depends on your perspective really, so there aren't much to say to it. Only problems I've found is that each emergency dispatch missions basically all boils down to "run from point A to point B" or "Shoot all the baddies" or "Smash baddies' car", or "run point A to point B, shoot all the baddies in process and smash baddies' car" so even though there are over 40 emergency dispatch missions, there aren't a lot of incentives to play it unless you want to desperately prolong your playtime of this game.

So, from what I just said, L.A. Noire just looks like a adventure game with questionable action sequence and questionable investigation sequence, but here is a catch this game is heavily narrative driven, and L.A. Noire does supreme job with their narrative. Believable settings, authentic looks and reference to the 50's culture all adds up for great narrative factor. This game feels like watching detective film, but a good one at that. Also, all those flaws I've listed, I didn't notice it until I completed the whole story mode. Each cases in story mode takes almost an hour to complete, and even more if you're looking for all five-star completion. There are many cases to solve in this game. So, what are you waiting for? grab your fedora and detective badge. The case isn't going to solve itself, right?
  92. Oct 1, 2013
    The good - very high quality - the best animation - the best voice and sound The bad - not fun as a game - way too hard without walkthroughs - way too boring with walkthroughs This one has a very good quality. They produce the game that look much like a real world. The way people speak, act, and their faces are too real. But somehow it failed as a fun game. There is not much fun in it. The detective part is just too hard, especially for non-native English speaker.

That's it. This game prove that even though how great your graphics are, it doesn't mean it will be a great game.
  93. Dec 4, 2012
    Nice game.Rockstar haven't disappointed me yet,i was shocked by the awesome idea and the product.It takes me to the 1940s L.A. ,unlike GTA i always act as a criminal i finally can be a police this day.And the kinds of clues and the system of investigate and the EXP system ,all of all can be called nice,although its not a perfect game,i still give it a 10 score.10 score doesn't mean perfect,right?
  94. Jul 24, 2013
    L.A. Noire is a pretty interesting game. You play as a detective and of course you have to solve cases. This is well and understandeble designed. The cases are exciting and you will feel like a little detective. I really like that game, although it has some bugs.
  95. Mar 8, 2013
    I grew up loving the hardboiled detective film noire types of movies so when I heard about this I was quite excited since it was right up my alley.

Sadly though the end product is nothing like it could have been. This is basically a snooze fest disguised as a game. Honestly, if it didn't have Rockstar's name on the box it wouldn't be rated highly as it is or sold as well despite the
    fact Rockstar did not make this game.

My main dislikes with the game are.......

1- You never really detect anything. You walk around till you get a little chime meaning you press the x button and pickup the clue. If the clue needs to be examined further the game will tell you so. Once you have the clues your partner will signal you it's time to go somewhere else. The game basically walks you through detecting everything and finding clues. It tells you when you need to hit what buttons and where.

2- You can't mess up interrogations. This was lauded as a big feature for the game. If you blow the interrogation then you just do it again. Even if you guess wrong when your judging a person's true intentions you can still win the game without ever getting one right. You can go right through the game by guessing everything wrong when its decision time while interviewing someone. The game basically won't let you make mistakes that stop the game play and there are no consequences for anything during interrogations. There is no need to study a person's facial reactions or what they say because it doesn't matter. Guess right? No advantage. Guess wrong? No punishment.

3- The facial animations while good are just a gimmick. Another big selling point for the game is just a gimmick. Again looking at people's faces during interrogation to guess if they are lying or not doesn't matter since you don't have to be right. The facial animations are nice but it doesn't matter aesthetically because their bodies still move like stiff puppets. And they still aren't lifelike because they are over exaggerated to be noticeable. I personally wish they hadn't wasted all the money on filming actors in a fancy studio with all this high tech equipment and instead used the money to hire better writers for the game and work on making it more fun instead of just being a gateway for their facial animation tech. Honestly the animations felt more like a tech demo they were hoping to get other developers to license the tech for their games.

4- The game is incredibly linear. Yes a couple times you can chose to shake down a bartender instead of checking up on a drug addict but you never really get to chose anything. The game firmly holds your hand from the start to the finish and never let's go. I felt more like a errand boy out driving from point A to point B and then from C to D.

5- The storyline while not bad isn't that great. The main storyline starting out builds and builds and builds then suddenly it just stops and comes to a half with a very paper thin plot excuse and then suddenly you thrust off in another direction with no looking back. They just go to all this trouble of building up to something and then suddenly pull the rug out and leave you unsatisfied. The ending is very, very unsatisfying as well.

6- Team bondi has been saying the game isn't finished and that's easily noticeable just playing through it. They left the game kind of shallow in order to sell more DLC to gamers and that's obvious since they have been releasing DLC since its release and have recently announced more. It's just a shame they would release a 60 dollar game partially gutted so they can sell DLC and turn it into a 100 dollar game.

7- 60% of the game is still just grand theft auto. Just like in grand theft auto you have to drive a car for hours and hours and hours while you playing doing absolutely nothing but going up and down the same boring streets as a time sink. You can take any car you want like in GTA, you'll waste hours of time driving just like GTA, when you run it's just like in GTA, when you shoot or fight it's just like GTA, in fact everything that isn't investigating or interrogating is just like GTA.

In the end this game is wasted potential. I really wish I had waited till it eventually drops to 25 bucks or less because that's all it's worth. I had a lot of fun for about 6 hours and after that I find myself playing it just to finish it since I paid so much. I was really disappointed in this game.
  96. May 13, 2013
    This game gets a 8 not a 7 or 6 because many people exaggerate totally and they don´t enjoy the atmosphere, they don´t play with controller, they don´t play the game how it should be played, so they ruin their own experience. It´s on the PC yes, but non or less the game has to be played with a controller, because you have to sit in a comfortable chair and enjoy the world. The graphics are not as beautiful as people expected. The new technology which has been used for the facial expression which is a essential gameplay factor in this game, let animations be so smooth and realistic that you think this game was touched by god! The game is mainly about being a detective solving cases so if you are more the action guy, you shouldn´t buy this game especially because all the action happens only in side quests. The side quests are emergency calls from your police station, you can answer to in your police car. Sometimes you have to stop a bank robbery and sometimes smaller things like killing some gunmen. The story is fantastic and well written and you will suck it up fast. So the game is good, it has it´s flaws in graphics and it has not enough action for most people, but everything else is just perfect. WELL, the PC port is not quite as good as the console versions. The framerate is limited to 30 frames because that gives the game a movie like feeling. I understand that. No fps drops though, its stable, but they up DX11. DX9 runs smooth, but DX11 has some technical issues for some. Just test it out. It´s recommended to play the game with a controller, but the mouse and keyboard works fine too. Despite the fact that the technical side of the game is non or less weak except for the animations which are the best ever seen, the game is really only for slow paste type guys who like a adventure with case solving elements. Go and get it, lick the sexy looking box and play more than 20 hrs of pure climax! OH before i forget it: GET A QUADCORE YOU HILLBILLY! What do you expect? A dev who never developed for PC to optimize the game on your oldass Dual Core which can´t even play Black Ops straight? you should get a console then, you poor bastard. OR maybe getting a new job. Idiots Expand
  97. Apr 7, 2013
    Amazing game, loved it, Best detective game i've ever played and ever better, its made by Rockstar Games! This also has some nice graphics and I learned that it is not all that laggy like the GTA IV graphics engine but yes, If you want to be a detective and ask criminals lots of questions then this is your game.
  98. Jun 8, 2013
    Brilliant detective story with amazing characters
  99. Jun 22, 2013
    For people 38+ like me, that have been gaming since early 16, this game is a dream come true.
    Amazing story telling, voice action, environment and slow but interesting path with action sub-phases.
    the game is a black novel by itself, and lets you enough freedom to wander around a lovely city and progress on the story line as well.
    this game deserves a 10. I respect all opinions but this
    is a niche game for me, that excels.
    add some sweetFX to it, and the visuals are just awesome.
    The game play might be between adventure games and 3rd person action games, but the combination is just right. Get a few drinks, a pack of smokes, and be ready to deep yourself on a black novel all the way. Rep+ to Rockstar
  100. Nov 3, 2013
    I dislike GTA and find games of the interactive novel genre to be a bore. However, I loved almost every second of this game. It played perfectly on my average spec gaming Win7 PC (5.9 system rating) and I didn't experience any of the technical issues reported by others such as low frame-rate or sluggish controls. So, why did I enjoy it so much? For a start, the main storyline was fantastic. Not only was it original, it was also both suspenseful and pretty deep without being far-fetched. The characters were believable and were strongly developed over the course of the game. As for the gameplay, it combines open-world driving and gun fighting with crime-scene investigation and witness/suspect interviews. There's a healthy split between GTA-style action and clue-hunting with the option to skip the majority of the driving by asking your partner to take the wheel. I disabled the crime-scene visual/audio clues and would suggest doing the same if you want a challenge. The interviews are quite hard but if you pay attention to clues and people's body language they're doable.

There are quite a lot of cut-scenes but they are of high quality and really help with the immersion.

My only criticism of the game would be the lack of first-person perspective. I grew up playing FPS and find the recent shift to forced 3rd person cameras in PC games to be a pathetic pandering to console kids but hey, that's an issue with the gaming industry not the game.

I mentioned how I dislike GTA.... no matter how much I try to enjoy it I always get bored after about an hour of gameplay. If you're the same, try L.A. Noire. However if you really liked GTA you might really hate this game, since all my GTA loving friends who have tried it said they found it too boring. Personally, I'd rather investigate the murder of a hooker than run one over and steal their purse.
  101. Jan 20, 2012

1. Feb 29, 2012
    A unique adventure game that borrows many features from mystery and action games, incorporating them seamlessly in the narrative flow, thus creating a truly special game that not everyone will enjoy. And that's because it has its own character, defying contemporary 'fast food' games that are churned out today and because it's reminiscent of endeavors made in another era, where immersion of an ultimate single-player experience was the first and last goal of their creators.
    Ingenious game merges a classic adventure with sandbox action titles, resourcefully. Playability is not always perfect but overall impression is stunning. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 12, 2012