7.8

1. Jul 4, 2012
    LA Noire is a masterpiece! if you love deduction, the 40's atmosphere and some outstanding actors performance, you really got to play this one! I'm 60% at the time of reviewing, and there is almost no downside to this game! As of today (July2012) , the game is overall good optimized! (Intel Q9550, GTX560Ti, 4GB DDR2...) fast loading, stable 30 fps, all on max, really decent graphics!

i don't tend review games on metacritic, i made for this one an exception, cause it is really a good one!
  2. Apr 9, 2012
    Fantastic game - a very big shock to find myself enjoying it as much as I did - I was pleasantly surprised.
    Sure it may not have a lot to do in the very large open world that it includes but the story itself more then makes up for that. I did realise that I'm not as great a detective as I thought I would be though!
    Performance wise I'm not sure if I'm just lucky
    but I was running it on my rather old GTX295 without any performance hassles (at 1920x1200 with 2x Anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering with everything set at Quality settings) that I could notice. The cars physics are a little off at times and on the rare occasion I had a car vanish in traffic right in front of my eyes (perhaps I should lay off the whisky?).
    Controls were fine on PC and the overall I never had any crashes, freezes or any other silly things so I can't complain.
    A fantastic gem of a game that I had put off for so long - if you enjoy solving riddles and something a little deeper than the "gun down Mr X, Pop Mr Y" then you'll love L.A. Noire!
  3. Dec 30, 2011
    L.A. Noire involves breath taking graphics and structure of the story so that as you play it, you have to constantly remind yourself to use the controller because you drift away thinking you are watching a 1940's detective movie. The facial expressions (animated by real actors and 32 different cameras to get every possible angle of the expression) , will blow you away. A great mix of clue finding, interrogating, and action, make this a game that I for one, had trouble stepping away from. The story line is intense and awe inspiring. A very recommended game for those who enjoy the action, adventure, and mystery genre. Expand
  4. Nov 27, 2011
    Hmm ! I have steam , and was able to play the games ( using steam as administrator ) . No issue with video ( hd6870 ) I have played 20 minutes and sadly decided not to play anymore . The controls are ok , you need to get the hang of it but are ok after a while . I have simply not appreciated the style . Find it long and boring . I grew up playing Zelda and mario. Big open worlds were you can get lost . Sad experience , i dont care about the facial reality of the caracters . Moving a gun in different angle , omg , it is obvious that there is a serial number , why make it a pain . IF YOU LIKE FPS game and OPEN world , dont pay premium to play this game , wait for the 1.99$ sale in 2 months . THIS WILL NOT BE A CLASIC ! Expand
  5. Nov 16, 2011
    l.a noire is very good , you're so out of luck. A dual core is no longer considered mid range even. Even basic boxes all come with dual core. Quit kidding yourself. I also hear this is a bad port. I got news for you guys, PC's only represent 10% of the gaming market. Until the next gen consoles come out that all support DX11, yâ
  6. Nov 11, 2011
    First off. Most modern PC games now require Quad core. If you have a dual core, you're so out of luck. A dual core is no longer considered mid range even. Even basic boxes all come with dual core. Quit kidding yourself.

you're going to have to live with this. Take Skyrim for example. You played it yet. Don't expect a massive improvement from Oblivion. Despite the 4 years, it's still DX9, why... Why do you think.

The facial animation on this is outstanding. Go play Skyrim. Tell me what you think. Also, if you're looking for COD non stop action, you really should not be playing a detective game. Put it one way, in Skyrim, you're walking for 90% if the time. COD, its non stop. This game, it's stop start, but that's to be expected, it's a Adventure game, like the old school games. If you're game does not run on steam, contact their tech support. Or Rockstar, I seriously doubt it's not working for everyone who purchased it on steam (like me). Obviously it's your machine configuration. You seriously can't give a game a zero because of this, especially a game you obviously haven't played.

The atmosphere is excellent. The facial animation, characters are great. It really sets the scene for that era. I read that the cars are "sticky" and that they don't suit the cars from that period. Really. You've actually drove cars from that period have you. I imagine they would be sticky, given the weight they used to be. But anyway, it's not a driving simulation. I don't want to spend my time trying to be a formula 1 driver, I want to play the actual game, which is detective work.

If you like the old adventure games, you'll love this. If you don't, why did you buy a detective based game in the first place. Do you not realise that the majority of the time will be spent looking for clues and trying to deduce motives... Wait for GTA V if you want action, or call of duty if you don't want to think. Or skyrim if you're REALLY into hiking.

FWIW, this game is awesome. People are giving a low score because they bought something they had no idea about and thought it was going to be something else, or they are deluding themselves about what kind of rig they have, or they have technical issues that they feel is someone elses fault to resolve.

You're going to need a quad core CPU (as did GTA IV). It runs smooth as silk on my stock SB 2500K and 560ti. at 1640 x 1050, everything maxxed out. If you have anything around this, and like adventure games, you'll love this game.
  7. Nov 15, 2011
    You know what your getting with this package. A fantastic game with all the bells and whistles. Im sure you've seen other reviews of L.A Noire, so il just say what's new in this. It features all of the previously released downloadable content for L.A. Noire, including the â
  8. Dec 12, 2011
    Bravo, Rockstar! They've managed to finally cut through the standard mission - shoot - drive type formula to make something engrossing, immersing and totally satisfying. Amazing acting, with especially the interrogation and investigation scenes jumping out, this game is one to be reckoned with - and to be seen as an examplary piece of storytelling, one that merits further elaboration! So game developers, get your **** together and start hiring the Team Bondi guys as they know where it's at if you want to make a real game. Thanks a million for bringing back storytelling and adventures to the gaming world in hi-def! Suggestions for improvement: make he interrogations more interactive, maybe with actual dialog / question choices (a la Monkey Island), make the investigations slightly more difficult- but this is the way things should be heading! Expand
  9. Dec 24, 2011
    This is more of a mystery game for me than adventure. Adventure is just a part of this game but the mysteries between the cases are just realistic and are based on history.
  10. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is like a boring film. To long, to boring I took one mission for more than 3 hours! Lost the mission. After that I do not want to play this ... But,It can not be called a bad game
  11. Jan 20, 2012
    If not for Skyrim, the noire obviously would number one in my rankings this year. Although I would put them together in the first place). The original, breakthrough game. Developers have created a great story with dozens of characters and events. Everything is perfect, not counting the schlock in some places with graphics (such as blurred textures in some lanes), but it's easy to close your eyes, and frankly do not care) It is also a very good port on the PC, but is rare. Expand
  12. Apr 14, 2012
    If LA Noire was a masterpiece, and in my opinion one of the best games ever made, this version with all DLC already included, which increases experience, and bring back to LA of 1940 to the fore. This edition creates something just as incredible that any player that if preze can not lose. Simply a Masterpiece
  13. Jul 2, 2012
    To start with, I can honestly say I've never had a love for a video game like I've had for L.A. Noire. The graphics are not the greatest ever seen, detail in objects lacks; how ever during interrogations, facial expressions are very well drawn. I don't full-on action games, I like ones that have a strong story line to aid it; L.A. Noire's story is the best graphical story I've come across so far. The characters are very well described throughout the story and scenes in the game make you think. There is no shortage of surprises and suspense is not scarce. If you're one to enjoy a mysterious but thrilling action game (with some very nice jazz in the background), then L.A. Noire is without competition. Expand
  14. Nov 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game goes into my favourite list. The game may have some technical issues, but the game itself it is just amazing. They have made an real life effect into the game, and in the game it is much things that is like real life detective cases. I think Rockstar Games and Team Bondi did make this game really look awesome. This game may not be loved by everyone, but I like it as an fan of murder/detective games.
    I give this game a 10/10. In case you like detective/murder games then I highly recommend you to buy this one.
  15. Dec 4, 2012
    Nice game.Rockstar haven't disappointed me yet,i was shocked by the awesome idea and the product.It takes me to the 1940s L.A. ,unlike GTA i always act as a criminal i finally can be a police this day.And the kinds of clues and the system of investigate and the EXP system ,all of all can be called nice,although its not a perfect game,i still give it a 10 score.10 score doesn't mean perfect,right?
  16. Jun 30, 2013
    Great game, i had a few problems with frame rate but it's easy to solve, just have to change the renderer, that depends on your DX version of your video card. The game it's unique with the interviews. Music and characters are good, graphics are not super detailed but are good too, Motionscan it's the best thing of this game, and it's a pretty interesting game overall, better than a lot of crap games I've seen this year. Expand
  17. Apr 7, 2013
    Amazing game, loved it, Best detective game i've ever played and ever better, its made by Rockstar Games! This also has some nice graphics and I learned that it is not all that laggy like the GTA IV graphics engine but yes, If you want to be a detective and ask criminals lots of questions then this is your game.
  18. Jun 22, 2013
    For people 38+ like me, that have been gaming since early 16, this game is a dream come true.
    Amazing story telling, voice action, environment and slow but interesting path with action sub-phases.
    the game is a black novel by itself, and lets you enough freedom to wander around a lovely city and progress on the story line as well.
    this game deserves a 10. I respect all opinions but this
    is a niche game for me, that excels.
    add some sweetFX to it, and the visuals are just awesome.
    The game play might be between adventure games and 3rd person action games, but the combination is just right. Get a few drinks, a pack of smokes, and be ready to deep yourself on a black novel all the way. Rep+ to Rockstar
  19. Jul 3, 2013
    Great game.Not so easy and the detective mode is cool too.Very long story.

The gameplay is also very good. Rockstar has made a very good game. The ranking system is one that i liked most
  20. Aug 31, 2013
    L.A. Noire is one of the best games I have played in a long time. It has an interesting story, with an even more interesting back story. The game does an amazing job in capturing the atmosphere and the style in the late 40s. Another feature is the amazing use of face capture, the create amazing facial expressions. This is necessary to answer the questions. The Story might be (at some points) rather slow, but that time is used for character building, and it never gets boring. The only negative thing I had with the game are the controls. Somehow it was a little hard to aim. But maybe that's just me. Overall an amazing game that I would definitely recomend this game. Expand
  21. Nov 3, 2013
    I dislike GTA and find games of the interactive novel genre to be a bore. However, I loved almost every second of this game. It played perfectly on my average spec gaming Win7 PC (5.9 system rating) and I didn't experience any of the technical issues reported by others such as low frame-rate or sluggish controls. So, why did I enjoy it so much? For a start, the main storyline was fantastic. Not only was it original, it was also both suspenseful and pretty deep without being far-fetched. The characters were believable and were strongly developed over the course of the game. As for the gameplay, it combines open-world driving and gun fighting with crime-scene investigation and witness/suspect interviews. There's a healthy split between GTA-style action and clue-hunting with the option to skip the majority of the driving by asking your partner to take the wheel. I disabled the crime-scene visual/audio clues and would suggest doing the same if you want a challenge. The interviews are quite hard but if you pay attention to clues and people's body language they're doable.

There are quite a lot of cut-scenes but they are of high quality and really help with the immersion.

My only criticism of the game would be the lack of first-person perspective. I grew up playing FPS and find the recent shift to forced 3rd person cameras in PC games to be a pathetic pandering to console kids but hey, that's an issue with the gaming industry not the game.

I mentioned how I dislike GTA.... no matter how much I try to enjoy it I always get bored after about an hour of gameplay. If you're the same, try L.A. Noire. However if you really liked GTA you might really hate this game, since all my GTA loving friends who have tried it said they found it too boring. Personally, I'd rather investigate the murder of a hooker than run one over and steal their purse.
  22. Oct 31, 2013
    This game oozes more class and atmosphere in one case than most games do in their entirety.
    Top notch story, acting, music and production.
    Could of used a little more 'game' content and was a shame not to 'use' more of the huge L.A. map they made.
    One of the best games out there and sincerely hope Rockstar makes a follow-up.
  23. Nov 9, 2013
    Loved investigate crimes, to look for clues.

A good story. Facial expressions are just super-heroes realistic. Very cool to sit and question people decide their fate, to be a good cop. After this game, I fell in love with the genre "noir." The game is worth playing.

Thank you for this game released for the PC. I really like this game!
  24. Feb 21, 2013
    LA Noire is an excellent game. The investigative gameplay is enjoyable, as is quizzing the suspects and witnesses. The weakest parts of the game are car chases and foot chases/shootouts, but fortunately those are brief and far in between.

The story is good and the main body of the game is good. While the ending is not as good as it could be, overall, the game is still quite excellent
    and well worth your time (and money).

Why not a 10/10? A few reasons.

1) The ending. After spending the whole game investigating, the final level of the game involves you running around killing people with a flamethrower. I'm not even joking. While this sort of gameplay is interspersed throughout the game and isn't wonderful when it comes up, it is rare enough that it is fine. It overstays its welcome at the end of the game.

2) While the acting in the game is overall quite good, when you let suspects sit around after questioning them, some of them behave... very oddly. And not in the "oh we're obviously guilty" way, but in the "the actor is clearly trying to convey SOMETHING but it is hard to tell what" kind of way. The motions end up exaggerated, and as this is one of the things you're supposed to be using to tell whether a suspect or witness is lying or not, it is a bit of a problem the motions are so unnatural that you can't tell what they're supposed to be doing.

3) This is a minor point, but there are a few times in the story where you are presented with two suspects and you are forced to charge one or the other, but it is obvious that neither of them is actually guilty of the crime at hand there's no option NOT to charge them, which would be the correct choice. While not a big deal, it would have been nice to have the ability not to lay charges in some cases.
  25. Mar 19, 2014
    I already reviewed the PS3 version of this game, the PC version is noticeable improved on visuals and performance, below my review:
    L.A.Noire is a mature, immersive and very well produced adventure. Don't expect a traditional sandbox or an action game, L.A.Noire is much more close to old (and great) investigative adventures we had on PC years and years ago.
    The environments are extremely
    detailed and polished, every corner you explore is convincing and rich in details, the city is vast and amazing, cars are also impressive. Narrative is mature, deep and capture the "Noir" feeling and mood well. Characters are deep, something rare in video games, and will stay with you long after you finish the game.
    Facial animation is truly outstanding and the voice overs are all great and very expressive, all actors did a good job.
    Action moments are polished and fluid, just a bit repetitive at times, this is why I am not giving this unique game a perfect 10. Driving sequences are pleasant especially because the cars and the city just feel right, real but cinematic.
    L.A.Noire is not for every one, it is a slow pace game, but a immersive, deep, mature, dark and expressive gaming experience.
  26. Mar 22, 2012
    Only get the game on Steam as otherwise you will probably have problems. I got it on disc and it wouldn't run, so grabbed it in the Steam sale and works like a charm. I love the storyline and by no means is it easy, you can judge a characters face who clearly looks suspicious but yet could be telling the truth. You get a Truth Doubt or Lie choice on interview, and if you choose lie have to back it up with evidence from your notebook. Each time you gain rank you gain 1 intuition point, which allows you to see what the rest of the community chosen on a specific answer with a percentage of who got it correct. A really good game. Expand
  27. Mar 3, 2012
    Since this is relevant to pc games, know this first. The game has been capped at 30 frames per second, this can be removed via the latest patch and a -60fps command. So I won't mark that against the game. The game also requires a very powerful pc to be able to run at 60 frames per second. It is choppy and unplayable on lower end hardware. If you have a duel core cpu and a low end gpu, take this as a warning. Now, onto the actual game. La noir is a breath of fresh air, taking cue's from adventure games in it's mystery solving, focus on clues, and providing you with the successful illusion that you are solving them. It tells a long and involved story though a string of murders you have to solve, that delves into the territory of serial killers, police corruption and more, and it allows you to travel around an open world while doing so. This alone is enough to cement this game in an interesting heavy rain territory. However it goes a step further by introducing some facinating and downright impressive face animation mapping technology - and implements it in an innovative and involving way. You have to actually study peoples faces to gauge their honesty/personality, and make final decisions that rely entirely on your very own instincts. Putting actual detective skills in the players hands is so worthy of praise - that it makes other game's "new and innovative features" seem dull and lifeless in comparison. When you are as ambitious as this game is however - there will always be a price. In this case the main issue this game has is the outcomes for failing/succeeding. They mostly lead to the same results. Guess wrongly? You still progress in the same way minus a few points that can unlock intuition points (a free answer, basically). This makes your actual detective skills feel consequence free. And that's a shame. In the end, what the game does provide - is unique. Entertaining. Sometimes emotional. An experience like nothing else on the market. If you don't have a monster pc - get the ps3 version instead. Expand
  28. Jan 7, 2012
    A breath of fresh air! The game I've been waiting for Rockstar or someone else to MAKE this game!
    THE GOOD GUY! This is like Mafia II, but you are the good guy, has great car controls and movement control of the characters. Had Mafia II been able to get their vehicles to control as good as L.A. Noire it would have been almost just as good. Their new facial movement technology really helps
    you get into the story with way more realism. Call me strange, but I'm always bothered by boxy, jerky mouths and unnatural body movement in cut scenes.

My only complaint so far is it's not as "open world" as GTA 4 but there is plenty to do. This game does a good balance between a true to live Police game and a fun action game. Not 100% real, not 100% action and killing. If you are looking for an open world like GTA this might not be the game for you. But if you are looking for a fun game as a Police Officer/Detective with mixed action, clues, shoot outs, chases, investigations, and more, it's a great game! I gave it a 9 out of 10 and knocked off 1 point because it would have been nice to have either multiplayer or a "FREE RIDE" open world option. THANKS ROCKSTAR for finally coming out with a "GOOD GUY" game
  29. Jul 9, 2012
    An instant classic, trades in a linear play style for excellent presentation and acting, superb story and cinematic gameplay. Some users have reported technical difficulties getting this game to run even on high-end systems but mine was fine (at the time I used AMD Phenom X4 9750, 4GB RAM, Radeon Sapphire HD 6850 running at 1440x900).
  30. Jan 2, 2012
    Game starts out like a GTA 4 but within 40 minutes an experienced gamer should make the promotion to detective. 1940's world is incredibly detailed. New face rendering tech is emersive. Fantastic game on sale for $12.49.
  31. Jan 9, 2013
    Only just got this game recently all ways looked at it never bought it but couldn't not buy it on special Overall i like this game it has given me alot of game play which i look for in a game and is pretty good challenge i like decent free roam game It is a easy to play game and has alot of good quality's that would appeal to a wide range of people from investigating crime scene to driving to shooting its all there plus get to be good guy and solve crimes rather than commit them The bad well every game now days has bad points this game is shooting psychics for me they just dont feel right Overall i will keep playing this game and probably replay it once i have completed it i think Rockstar did good job here getting into something no one else has I would really like to see this game put into modern times and made to fit in with todays crimes and investigations techniques i think that would take off because old style will not appeal to all Expand
  32. Nov 11, 2011
    If you're reading these reviews about it being unplayable even on high-end PCs, well these guys must have other problems. Don't have a great PC at all, but it's playing very smoothly for me. Quad Core 2.33ghz, gts 450, 3 gigs ram. Maybe because my top resolution is only 1440x900, but I'm not experiencing problems. Great, great game as well.
  33. Nov 12, 2011
    LA Noire pc version, has left me and it was amazing what I expected, Rockstar finally made â
  34. Feb 12, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant game... back in 40's. its a bit refreshing to play as a cop. n LA is shown beautifully. the game-play n technology used is fascinating
  35. Xon
    Nov 20, 2011
    I like games which are interactive novels or movies. L.A. Noire neatly meets this criteria and brilliantly recreates a colourful period of L.A.'s history. I have never seen a game populated by believable characters who inspire compassion in the player. Nor have I seen real faces with real emotions, from the slight twitch of nervousness to red-faced, bulging eyes of fear.

I didn't pay this
    game for its challenges or playablity. I want to be immersed in a world and interact with the environment. I want a riveting story that rings true.

L.A. Noire delivers this and then some. I loved every second of this hard-boiled slice of life. In later years this game will definitely be looked back on as one of the most ground-breaking games of all time. It is the first game that I felt emotionally involved. And it was a riveting experience.
  36. Nov 8, 2011
    So far runs smooth. Controls are great I am using a 1st gen corei7 6 GB and Ait 5870 with the preview drivers for rage and battle field so nothing that fancy . One bug have to launch steam in admin mode for My game to launch setting are set to quality
  37. Jan 2, 2012
    Bought this game in the STEAM winter sale and it was probably the best Ã
  38. Nov 10, 2011
    L.A NOIRE is huge success more then consols
    i finished it on XBOX360 and it was Epic but fail in graphics and loading and etc

PC version is the copy we waited for..the best ever with all DLC
    just GREAT
  39. Nov 11, 2011
    I'm surprised at the relatively low scores here. I think this game is fantastic. It is what Mafia II was supposed to be on the storytelling/narration front. I'm normally very sensitive to shoddy ports, but this port doesn't seem to have consolitis at all in my opinion. I never played the console version so I can't compare. It certainly seems to control better than, say, Dead Space 1 or 2 did on the PC. The acting, story, and facial animations are world-class, and the facial animations really do raise the emotion of the scenes...you can see people's Adam's apples move when they gulp, for crying out loud! Doesn't sound very important except when you consider that much of what you're doing in the game is trying to find out if people are lying or not. I would say this is a GOTY contender if it weren't for the fact that Arkham City is about to come out, which I assume will dominate. My only gripe is that the cars handle way too well for cars of that era. They're very 'sticky'. It has worked perfectly 'out of the box' for me (purchased on Steam), no stability issues at all, except the game crashes whenever I quit. Obviously that is a non-issue, doesn't affect the experience at all because it only happens when I quit. I also don't have any of the frame-rate issues that some are reporting. Expand
  40. Jan 6, 2012
    The game really very good. Perfectly conducting investigations, nice story in each of the new investigations, to the personal story of the main character. And then there also cool the climate of those years, super-chases, as well as on foot or in car. The game is great, although sometimes scheme implemented here that could at times when bored at times but only because the game is super all the time. Rockstar and Team Bondi please for more adventure. My rating - 8.5 / 10 Expand
  41. Nov 20, 2011
    I pre-ordered the game and was all hiped up to play with it, so let's start the review. GRAPHICS: well face motion capture is awesome, you feel like you are in a movie... The city is big enough and the content is really ok, the stores have 3D fronts having a lot of things in it and also, what is thrilling is that you will see, a lot of non-gameplay places are even detailed, just go to the union station or go into some sight-seeing buildings which you can enter... ANIMATION: Hell yeah, euphoria engine and so on. Which is a bit disappointing are the cars' movement (not the controlling, that is good enough, but see how are cars going on the streets). CONTROLS: good enough, no signs of f****d-up console porting imho. And the challenging part is when you have to aim on bad guys behind boxes and covers, you don't see the aiming point which is a good thing. STORY: I am in the start-middle of the game but the cases are really awesome, I am currently waiting how things will join together later because there is a big thrilling story behind all cases as I know. The characters are really movie-like, I feel like I am back that time and place and that is what I liked in Mafia for example. Games which can bring you a unique indistinguishable feeling are the greatest of all. Noire feeling is also ok. ORIGINALITY: 99%. OPTIMIZED HARDWARE-USAGE: I did not have problems but i am a kind of exception as I saw, most of the gamers had problems with the game. Let's hope for a good patch boys and girls. GAMEPLAY: A bit single threaded but a great story have to do this with a game. Just think again of Mafia (of course I talk about the first, the second game was totally sh**). Some other minor things like you can collect cars and take some street calls and go sight-seeing to some dedicated places... The last one and the car collecting I think is a bit ruining the overal gameplay, I mean I am in the middle of a story, I don't want to go other places. Maybe when I will end the story I start it again and go sight seeing... OVERAL: 10 points where I mean 95% and this 5% minus is for the inconsistency of extra content (i don't want to interrupt a case for going to sight seeing and so on) and the unoptimized graphics Expand
  42. Mar 22, 2012
    This game is a awesome game, not a master piece but a really good game!
    Lets start by the gameplay, in the first 2 hours of the game its just freaking good.
    But then the game starts to get a little repetitive, there are some new things to the gameplay later on, but its still repetitive. Its not boring or anything, like the cars chases and fight scenes those are so cool even if you play it
    over and over it will still be fun.
    Now lets talk about controls.
    The controls are just simple,classic and good, W-A-D-S to move, mouse and space-bar to investigate, fights etc...
    Now lets talk about the graphics.
    The graphics are just wonderful...The faces are super-duper realistic, the city is really realistic too and the voice actors help a lot to create a more realistic aspect.
    People say that the game is too "strong" on the graphics and most of the people say its unplayable, I have a PACKARD-BELL IxTreme with Intel Core I5 and a NVIDIA Geforce GT320 1024MB VidoCard, The game runs smoothly but some times has a little slow down, expect that the game is just fine.
    I give this game a 9/10 because I really enjoyed it.
    I think if you like detective games this one will be for you!
  43. Jan 10, 2012
    Once I picked this game up I haven't put it down! I'm addicted!! What they do well is immersion. The game makes you feel like your in the 1940's. The detective work, which maybe a little easy for some, I found very interesting & exciting. As the levels progress the cases get more detailed and try to keep you guessing. I really didn't expect to like this as much as I did. 9/10.
  44. Jan 11, 2012
    The basic idea of the Game, which is actually solving crimes, is something very rarely seen nowadays. Thats why i liked it so much, it feels like something new. However the mini games are nohting special, but suits into the game style. The motion Capturing thing impresses me a lot, although the rest of the graphics isnt so shiny at all. But it doesnt need to since the story is very great.
    For those who like story games and solving crimes is that the game u are searching for.
  45. Mar 2, 2012
    You can really feel the discrimination of platform from the developers by playing this game on PC. I mean, those guys could have done better on the PC. Well, I could really give 10/10 if they can make it better on PC. For the game, great story, great gameplay. I really feel like I am a detective in the game. Great voice casting too. Also, very convincing facial expression and very detailed world. If you guys happen to own a Xbox360 or PS3 buy, just buy the game for the consoles. If you have a PC, you can really give it try. Expand
  46. Jul 19, 2012
    This game is basically must get for all fans of L.A. Confidential movie. L.A. Noire brings good combination of adventure and GTA games together in glittering shine of post war era. Graphic is nice, sounds are well handled. For some downside might be 30fps cap. The game is fairly linear but i don't think it would help if you could try solving 3-4 cases at once. It would get fairly complex. Interrogations are sometimes more of guessing than really figuring out whether that person is lying to you or not. Over all this game is pretty solid. Expand
  47. Jul 13, 2012
    Its a very interesting game, you have 21 cases and every case is interesting in his own way, the city is very big and you have over 50 different cars to drive. But from my point of view its sometimes hard to follow the cases especially if they are talking about cases that you solved some time ago. Another big minus for me is the steering of the car. It is very hard to control a car with the W A S D keys at high speed with the keyboard. The firefights are ok but not very spectacular. Overall a very interesting and good game. Expand
  48. Dec 2, 2012
    I cannot believe how immersive this game is. The compelling stories, the life-like characters, and the intricate period details, all add up to one of my favorite game experiences this year. Minus a point for some technical glitches and awkward combat controls.
  49. Feb 12, 2013
    This game has the best face animations of characters you can see in a video game, thanks to a newly developed "face mimics motion capturing technology", which belongs to Rockstar Games. Period. Besides that, the story is strong, gameplay is enhanced with so much fun, graphics are mostly stunning, sounds and musics, that mirrors the NOIR theme of that era, is just amazing. Do not hesitate on buying this game. The Complete Edition deserves all the praises it receives. Expand
  50. Sep 17, 2013
    what a unique game why because this time you're not the criminal who shots and kills people and try to get away from the police this time you play as a detective and try to catch the criminals that's why it is unique and new great graphics sounds and amazing atmosphere one of the best games of all time
  51. Apr 27, 2013
    One of a kind game with one of a kind graphical capability that is sure to be used in future games. Great detective story with great characters, both good and annoying with great length of gameplay. Fun as hell to question suspects and see them spill their beans. I'd like to say that this is a more down to earth phoenix wright. One thing that stops the game for being perfect is the fact that it's not that varied, all you do is do missions, do side police work, collecting cars and seeing landmarks. And also the plot twist at the end of the Vice case pisses me off. That's completely unnecessary and shouldn't be in the game like at all. All it does is make stupid plot twist that makes a certain character unlikeable. Anyway, still a great game by Rockstar. Expand
  52. Oct 16, 2013
    This game is crazy good. This game did what other sandbox games couldn't. Every aspect of the environment could give you clues to break the case. Facial expressions are great they could give you just information you need to call someone on a lie and get viable information for the case. I've not seen a game like this yet and that what makes this game so good. I highly recommend to try this game.
  53. Dec 7, 2013
    WOW! never seen a game doing something like this!
    so its not a GTA Clone as many think so it is a detective game that requires from you to pay attention to all of the cases.
    you collect clues from the crime scene then questioning your suspect, its like you are actually part of a detective story.
    in my opinion the hole face animation looks like they just "glued" a video animation into
    a character face, its still looks like its need improvment to the sequal

not so much cons in this game although i think that the in game UI needs improvment, its not that convenient, and the pc version shouldnt be locked at 30 fps
  54. Feb 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a game that built up slowly, until I was completely hooked onto the plot and the way the entire story twists and turns: very impressive. The gameplay itself is typical from the publisher of GTA, perhaps a bit more pedestrian than usual (in terms of combat), but it was easily made up by the enjoyable car physics (and various things your partner would say while running into a variety of things...always entertaining) as well as the incredible gumshoe framework. Gathering clues and interviewing people never got boring. The most disappointing part of the game for me, in the end, is actually the finale: yet another gigantic combat scenario with a finish that left a HUGE bitter taste in my mouth. SPOILER: The ending is just awful, imo: everything that Phelps is working toward is completely erased, and his memory is pissed upon at his funeral, with the corruption of the police establishment firmly intact. I suppose that there's hope that the honest ADA who remains could, over time, fight for less corruption, but it would have been nice to have more details about what happened in the future, so that I didn't feel like all the work I put into my character was all for nothing. Not being able to bring the chief of police down is a MAJOR disappointment, and although it might have been "historically accurate" it left the plot completely unsatisfying. Makes me less sad that the developer went out of business after the production of this game: they clearly aren't very good at plot endings. Expand
  55. Dec 30, 2011
    I would really say this is the most original games I have layed in a long time, and it's a pretty damn good port to the PC. -Pros: Controls are very good. -Originality -Emersion -Story -Gameplay -Stability (haven't found even the slightest of bugs) -Realistic car physics (in comparison to GTA 4, Saints row, just cause) -Graphics are clean -Characters are very well created. Cons -Some of the questions and answers are a bit stupid
    -chases seem repetitive.
    -The newspaper stories and the vietnam backstory are very boring to watch.
  56. Jan 2, 2012
    this game is awesome it has a lot of good stuff in the storyline and you are a true detective (from other games that i have played) the only bad stuff that i didnt like is that the faces was doing weird things when they lied and when they not lying most of them just stay still like they frozen LOL the graphics on the mouth and the eyes are perfect but on the hair or on the trees is like i an old game play game! its like they just took the same graphics from the console and put it for the pc just like that without working on it so it was a little bit disappointing :( Expand
  57. Nov 11, 2011
    A solid game plagued by a few issues: 1) letterboxing on monitors with 5:4 aspect ratio 2) severe stuttering on some systems despite requirements being met (can be fixed by using the command line arguments -npd -str)
    3) interface could be better
    4) a big city, but very little to do
  58. Nov 15, 2011
    8 of people including me, having a lag issue with this game and all of us using duo/dual core. even you have the best vga card. it's not going to help you from this lag cuz this game is not optimized for duo/dual core. even thought, this game is way better port comparing with GTA4 only issue is the dual/duo core problem

get this game if you have quad core or better and do not get this
    game if you using dual or duo core. I have to wait for the patch to fix this problem just like GTA4 that ported by Rockstar Expand
  59. Nov 19, 2011
    While there is mention that this game is 'unplayable', which is not the case. L.A. Noire beings a whole new genre to the gaming industry, using certain camera technology to actually show between lies and the truth, its an unforgettable experience. While not fully optimized for the PC, it is playable, the errors people get are the same with every game and just a simple restart of the game fixes them. It's storyline and graphical system are different from other games, this is a game which allows you to actually play detective, and its a game which you cannot leave behind. Expand
  60. Nov 27, 2011
    It's a great game, other then the rather bad visuals, the crimes are very well made and controls are easily mastered if given a chance. Needless to say, it's worth playing, but don't think this is some kind of great gaming revolution.
  61. Jan 4, 2012
    After taking a few levels to get to grips with this game i think that it is a brilliant game,it does have its flaws tho. I am playing it on a pc with 2x 1gig 4870`s in Crossfire,8 gig of ram and a AMD Phenom BE quad core @3Ghz and i cannot get this game to play smooth at all. I have gone from CF to a single card,had settings on max,had settings reduced,changed GPU drivers but nothing helps which is a big shame because i think its a brilliant game. The thing i don`t get tho is that apart from the characters faces the graphics arn`t all that,i can run Crysis better than this game and that game is in a completely different league when it comes to graphics. I thought that when this was released later for the pc that they had not just ported it from console but it seems that they have done just that.Also the controls are a bit awkward but with all that said,i do think its a clever game,not just some shoot`em up,it does get you thinking,lets just hope that with the second one,they iron out the faults and its because of these faults it only gets a 8. Expand
  62. Jul 22, 2012
    Rockstar once again proven to me that it is probably the most innovating company. The game is- New. I have never played another game like this. I don't say its the best game I've played but its really nice to play something so different from other games. The action in this game (gun fights, car chases, melee fights, etc...) are unrelevant near the main feature which is the investigations, and specificly the questioning- where you have to decide by observing body language if the suspect telling the truth or not, and if not, whether or no you have proof for it. All possible investigations choises are well played by the actors, not just by sound but also by body language which is captured in the game using new technology. There are problems- sometimes your proof isn't what the game intended in which case u lose the question. The game is still easy and linear, so don't expect too much challange regardless, but it is a nice expirience.
    Something wierd about this is game is that it included a very big and detailed map but since I always let my partner drive I ended the game not knowing the map AT ALL. I usually like exploring and I knew locations in previous GTA titles better than I knew my own city, but in this game I can;t tell you where the police office is, and since its all about investigations the game has no replay value.
    I would estimate the worth of this game in about 7.5-12.5$
  63. Feb 6, 2012
    This game is a ton of fun. The story takes a very strange turn towards the second half, but it was very well written.

I had a few small complaints about the game, but the only things I want to mention here is that there is ZERO replay value other than achievement hunting.
  64. Feb 19, 2012
    Beautiful game, brilliant plot-- love the way they interwove three stories into one game. I'm also incredibly fond of all the characters, and the animation is brilliant, particularly the expressions. LA is beautiful, and so are its cars. Someone really knows their history as well, and it shows. Over all, excellent and under rated game.
  65. Feb 22, 2012
    Very nice game.A great story. Poor management and optimization = 10-2 = 8 A lot of people compare this game with the Mafia game is absolutely wrong they have in common only the fact that the action games there in the first half of the 20th century in this respect, the game is much closer to those games like Heavy rain and Alan Wake. Most of the game like a very sad ending is drawn in detail the injustice of our lives, where the good die first, and the bastards are still living Expand
  66. May 20, 2012
    Its good thing to try ... may get boring in sometime .. but still with good narrative plot and nice facial motion .. this game is cool .. The interrogation events can be bit letdown too .... just need to have focused mind
  67. Dec 26, 2012
    With a beautifully designed 1940's, L.A. Noire is a remarkable game that makes you entirely feel like reading a detective novel. Plus, it offers good graphics, outstanding character emotions, mystery and adventure.
  68. Aug 13, 2012
    If you ever wanted to be a detective, interrogate people and find clues, then play L.A. Noire. A great detective game with bunch of cases, interesting and groovy story. You don
  69. Dec 3, 2013
    L.A. Noire is solid adventure game overall. Narrative is top-notch, and the overall setting is authentic enough for most of gamers to immerse themselves into this game. I can confidently say that L.A. Noire is just like GTA, but taking place in 1950's Hollywood. This means, that L.A. Noire suffers same shortcomings that GTA has also suffered.

I want to start off with interrogation
    system first, as it is the main focus of the game. Here, you need to find out whether suspect is hiding something or speaking truly by looking at their facial animations. Then, players can choose three options after listening to the suspects you can either believe them, doubt them, or prove them that they are lying. This is where the problems with interrogation sequence kicks in There are no place for player's reasonings to come in. You just choose one of three options, and your avatar Cole Phelps or his sidekick will do come up with all the reasonings. It is fatal flaw for game that focuses heavily on investigations for its gameplay. Rather than feeling like detective in 50s, it feels more like watching detective film. That said, if you buy this game looking for action, you better look for other games.

This is same problem suffered by the GTA series. You'll feel freedom when you're racing through highway with cops on your tail, but there are little to no freedom regarding what you do in in-game missions. In L.A. Noire, whole game is basically an in-game mission of GTA, so there aren't any freedom in it, except maybe running over some innocent citizen with bouquet on their hand. Lack of freedom leads to one conclusion L.A. Noire didn't do well enough to utilize its open world setting. Although there are whole world to explore, after finding few hidden cars and solving emergency dispatch missions, you'll just going to hear lot of "straight through the intersection." You'll find the open world interesting at first, but it will just all come down to boring rollercoaster ride once the amazement has weared off.

The action part of the game is... questionable. Since it is an adventure game that focuses on the investigation, it is normal that the action part cannot compare to other AAA quality TPS games. One might argue that the action part is good enough for games like this, but one might also argue that the developers could've done better job with it. It depends on your perspective really, so there aren't much to say to it. Only problems I've found is that each emergency dispatch missions basically all boils down to "run from point A to point B" or "Shoot all the baddies" or "Smash baddies' car", or "run point A to point B, shoot all the baddies in process and smash baddies' car" so even though there are over 40 emergency dispatch missions, there aren't a lot of incentives to play it unless you want to desperately prolong your playtime of this game.

So, from what I just said, L.A. Noire just looks like a adventure game with questionable action sequence and questionable investigation sequence, but here is a catch this game is heavily narrative driven, and L.A. Noire does supreme job with their narrative. Believable settings, authentic looks and reference to the 50's culture all adds up for great narrative factor. This game feels like watching detective film, but a good one at that. Also, all those flaws I've listed, I didn't notice it until I completed the whole story mode. Each cases in story mode takes almost an hour to complete, and even more if you're looking for all five-star completion. There are many cases to solve in this game. So, what are you waiting for? grab your fedora and detective badge. The case isn't going to solve itself, right?
  70. Apr 27, 2013
    Like most of Rockstar's games, L.A. Noire is a horrendous port. But once you resolve the technical issues (which can be done with the help of PCGamingWiki[dot]com), the game is marvellous. It's an interesting concept pulled off very well.
    + Interesting world with believable characters
    + Exceptional acting and face technology. It's truly incredible, really. Every detail of emotion is
    shown off.
    + A good pace, with generally great missions
    + Wonderful atmosphere it really feels like a movie
    - It's a pain to figure out what the "Truth, Doubt, Lie" buttons actually do
    - AI is dumb as bricks in shootouts, and in a chase, they will quite literally stop and wait for you if you're being slow
  71. Mar 21, 2014
    For those of us old enough to remember the old "Dragnet" TV series, this game relives much of that old attitude towards crime (the facts m'am, just the facts). You must have the patience of a detective to play, well, the detective. This can be a pro or a con, depending on your preferences. It was interesting and fun to play it once, and it's worth it if the price is right. The DLCs do add other interesting cases. This game has great potential if it's ever re-released with more sophisticated game play and investigative cases. Expand
  72. Jul 24, 2013
    L.A. Noire is a pretty interesting game. You play as a detective and of course you have to solve cases. This is well and understandeble designed. The cases are exciting and you will feel like a little detective. I really like that game, although it has some bugs.
  73. May 13, 2013
    This game gets a 8 not a 7 or 6 because many people exaggerate totally and they don´t enjoy the atmosphere, they don´t play with controller, they don´t play the game how it should be played, so they ruin their own experience. It´s on the PC yes, but non or less the game has to be played with a controller, because you have to sit in a comfortable chair and enjoy the world. The graphics are not as beautiful as people expected. The new technology which has been used for the facial expression which is a essential gameplay factor in this game, let animations be so smooth and realistic that you think this game was touched by god! The game is mainly about being a detective solving cases so if you are more the action guy, you shouldn´t buy this game especially because all the action happens only in side quests. The side quests are emergency calls from your police station, you can answer to in your police car. Sometimes you have to stop a bank robbery and sometimes smaller things like killing some gunmen. The story is fantastic and well written and you will suck it up fast. So the game is good, it has it´s flaws in graphics and it has not enough action for most people, but everything else is just perfect. WELL, the PC port is not quite as good as the console versions. The framerate is limited to 30 frames because that gives the game a movie like feeling. I understand that. No fps drops though, its stable, but they up DX11. DX9 runs smooth, but DX11 has some technical issues for some. Just test it out. It´s recommended to play the game with a controller, but the mouse and keyboard works fine too. Despite the fact that the technical side of the game is non or less weak except for the animations which are the best ever seen, the game is really only for slow paste type guys who like a adventure with case solving elements. Go and get it, lick the sexy looking box and play more than 20 hrs of pure climax! OH before i forget it: GET A QUADCORE YOU HILLBILLY! What do you expect? A dev who never developed for PC to optimize the game on your oldass Dual Core which can´t even play Black Ops straight? you should get a console then, you poor bastard. OR maybe getting a new job. Idiots Expand
  74. Jun 8, 2013
    Brilliant detective story with amazing characters
  75. Jul 1, 2013
    First, to those with performance issues, create a shortcut to the game with these switches:
    lanoire.exe -str -npd +jobs_numThreads 0

I'm sort of surprised LA Noire got made, but I'm glad it did. This game is to Rockstar what Punch Drunk Love was to Adam Sandler. It confused the heck out of people but if you kept an open mind it paid off.
  76. Aug 20, 2013
    Now I start this review about halfway through the game and I really am loving it, it feels fresh and unique. I'll get the bad out the way first in I feel the game gives you too much help finding clues, it will make a noise or if you're using a controller like me it will also rumble on a clue even if you're not looking at it.

The other reason is the car physics are pretty much awful,
    assuming this game was based on the same engine as GTA IV I'm surprised the cars feel really light and quite...well...derpy, they felt heavier in GTA IV. To put it bluntly, if you imagine a 1940-50s American car...they were large, heavy and had a turning circle of the moon. Whoever was in charge of this made them look right, but decided they were lighter and more nimble than a go-kart.

That aside the story making and acting is excellent and really builds L.A Noire, you do various different types of cases from homicide to arson. The difficulty increases as you'd expect because the crime scenes get bigger so it's not so easy to find the clues, and as they get bigger so does the amount of people you have to speak to in order to solve the case.

The atmosphere has been captured with brilliant detail from the environment of a developing city, to the cars, attire and scripting. There are some strong references to 1950s cinematography.

All in all this is an excellent game which in my eyes a few changes could have made it a masterpiece but the gameplay niggles means it doesn't enter that category in my opinion, but this has been so far a game worth reviewing and recommending; I feel that if they make a second one based somewhere else hopefully this feedback will make it into an amazing accomplishment.
  77. Sep 2, 2013
    Loving the fact that games can think outside the box.
    Similar games such as the modern CSI family cannot even come close in terms of story telling, atmosphere and thrill.
    Even though investigating cases usually meant going through the same routines, the differences in story background, persons of interest and action scenes kept me playing right up to the last case.
  78. Jan 3, 2014
    The game is great awesome graphics and nice concept but the optimization on PC version is bad and the game despite is considered an open-world game is more like an interactive movie
  79. Nov 18, 2011
    Considering that this title was ported by Rockstar, I'm rather surprised at how well it was optimized for PC (in comparison to GTA4, that is). The game is thoroughly enjoyable, and the new facial animation technology is really quite incredible. My only real complaints are with gameplay, in that the game feels quite linear and the enormous city of Los Angeles feels pretty dead outside of whatever investigation you happen to be on. That said, I find this game to be fun and would recommend it to anyone interested in the adventure genre. Expand
  80. Sep 17, 2012
    Actually this game could have been done better. Controls are pain the ass, especially in fight or other sequences. You can skip them, sometimes it's the only way to move forward. City is huge but kinda empty. However very good music and sounds are remainding noir classics. Lets just say this game is decent console port but nothing more.
  81. Mar 16, 2012
    A very unique and original game in my opinion. Loved the 1940's LA setting. Driving is one of the highlights - controls feel very smooth. One of the few PC games I preferred a gamepad over mouse/kb. With over 20 cases in the Complete Edition the storyline started to drag in the middle, but picked up toward the end. Interrogations can be frustrating if you repeatedly guess wrong. Feels like too much time is spent watching cut scenes. Overall a quality experience, recommended. Expand
  82. Feb 15, 2013
    This game does some things average,some others very nicely,but it is also bad in other things.
    The PC version is just a console port,so don't expect anything better. Having said that,the facial animations on this game are very good,and I wish more games had that kind of animation quality. But while faces are a leap ahead,I can't say the same about how the rest of the bodies animate.
    Animation quality isn't on the same level for the whole body and that makes it look awkward sometimes. Sound and music do their job. What is interesting in this game is its story that hooks you up,as it has all the mystery you would expect from a detective's game! While the game's world feel too much like GTA, and car driving and getting around the world is exactly like it is in GTA4,this game has unique gameplay which is nice. I'd wish more games made moves towards innovating gameplay like this game does.
    The game is better played on short sessions,like a mission each time you run it. It's because each mission feels like a different episode of a tv series. Playing the game in large sessions and many missions each time won't feel the same and might get somewhat repeatitive.
    Initially this game got me frustrated because it doesn't follow a standard installation procedure.
    Might take you some extra time to figure out how to make it work,but after that you will be able to enjoy this game. The game has some unnecessary freedom. It contains a whole city for you to roam around, in a size comparable to GTA's cities. The thing is that it doesn't have that much side-missions and things you can do as in GTA games,so there is really not a reason to explore,as the city is empty,and driving around becomes boring after a while,but thankfully there is a fast travel option.
    It's a game that does detective gameplay really good,but other than that nothing ground breaking.
  83. Dec 28, 2011
    First off, the game runs fine for me. I had a glitch off the bat when I got it through steam: all of the animations and actions involving facial animation were omitted until I restarted steam, and then the game updated. Just so you know the game was about 12 gigs, and then a 2 gig update to fix the problem I mentioned (if bandwidth is an issue, buy it in a store). There are a couple of gripes I have with this game. I would like to play through scenes a little more specifically rather than doing every case over from the beginning to try and obtain a perfect score (the save and load features didn't seem that obvious). This is a good game, but if you're buying this based off of "I like GTA" then this might not be for you. While the game does have a GTA feel, it is not really a sandbox and they give you the option to let your partner drive you to locations for a reason (saving time, and causing city damage lowers your score). This is a game for people who like point and click adventures, mystery games, or puzzle games more than a game like GTA. Expand
  84. Nov 18, 2011
    Very good and interesting game. But the fact of play the full scene again and again, and don't be able to manually save frustrate me a bit, bad player experience for me. I feel like Groundhog Day. And some random crashes of the full pc... bad optimized for PC like ALL the Rockstar's games
  85. Nov 8, 2011
    Adventure games are coming back, I can feel it. L.A. Noire is a good adventure game but the action is LAME-O. Everybody runs from the police, innocent or not, guys are more than likely going to attack you for no good reason. I doubt this satisfied anybody. It just screwed up a good story driven game. L.A. is wonderfully re-created. Too bad driving is pointless and no fun. If you break a headlight your partner scolds you, and it comes out of your paycheck. Phelps kind of reminded me of my manager at work, a real a-hole with a stick up his butt. It gets worse when he cheats on his wife. At that point the character is so flawed you don't mind seeing him die in the end. The back story is told through BORING war flash backs which faithfully occur when you pick up a newspaper. This always presents a problem when you find a newspaper. Do you pick it up and sit through a stupid cutscene? Its like if in Mario 3 the leaf made him sit down and take a nap for 2 minutes. So: Not fully an adventure game, not fully action. Just re-make Grim Fandango already. Expand
  86. Nov 19, 2011
    So the top rated negative comment blathers about bad controls... I would like to know what the hell this guy is talking about. The controls are fine. Took me about 5 minutes to get used to them.

Anyway, it may be a bit early for me to write a review, as I have not finished the game, but oh well. The game is good. Not great. The cases are interesting (as are the WWII sequences). The
    gameplay is fun, good mix of detective work and violence (maybe a bit light on the violence for certain tastes). All in all, worth playing, even though I know it will have no replay value whatsoever. Expand
  87. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If this game wasn't so unique it would have fared far worse than a 7/10. The crime solving and scouring for clues and reading peoples face expressions are all just so damn fun to do and you get a real sense of accomplishment when you correctly call someone out who was lying. The groundbreaking technology used for the facial expressions is amazing, unfortunately not every character in the game has it so the animations for those characters looks really bad when they are side-by-side with one that does. Also, sometimes people will do the exact same thing when they tell the truth and when they lie, making telling the difference quite difficult. The game also has numerous "noobie friendly" features such as intuition points that can show you locations of clues or tell you whether someone is lying. If you fail a chase sequence or shootout a few times in a row you will get the option to skip it and continue on with the crime solving.

Unfortunately this game has a large amount of bugs and flaws. I have only played the PC version so I am not sure if some of these are specific to the PC version or not. The sound can glitch during some cutscenes. I had the sound of my machinegun firing throughout an entire cutscene a few times and then it continued after as well, forcing me to quit the game and restart. The actors use modern lingo a few times such as "legit" and that really bothered me as the voice acting was suberb and lingo from the 40's was prevalent throughout. Sometimes cars will just disappear off the screen. THis one was quite common and I found cars just vanishing from my screen as I approached an intersection. The controls are floaty and when you run you feel like you are that fat cop who eats donuts all day instead of an agile ex-marine. The combat and cover system is bad. I would commonly fund myself unable to move through my cover, leave cover or even go into it. You can still get shot while behind cover. Aiming isn't fluid and you will often find your crosshair skipping along. I can see why the xbox version had aim assist as it is just hard to do manually. The graphics on weapons isn't very good, but the effects of the guns shooting and the recoil of them is very well done.

There are a lot of collectible that are made easy to find by the Rockstar Social Club which lists all of your accomplishments in detail on their site. The story was great and the ending was great as well (But it seems some people didn't feel this way) The big twist that came near the end of the game was seemingly out of nowhere, i'm not really sure why the character did that but what came after that point was a more sensible, easier to follow story that i really enjoyed. The biggest problem i had, and this was prevalent on all version of the game, is that the FPS lags a ton. THis is very noticeable during driving sessions as your vehicle will skip forward. Luckily you can fast travel anywhere in the world which is great. Overall, the uniqueness of this game makes it well worth a look, but there are many flaws to bring it down. Do careful research before purchasing.
  88. Nov 19, 2011
    Good adventure game with great characters, graphics, and atmosphere. The faces in the game are simply amazing. I have never seen a game yet with this detailed facial animations and expressions. I also really love the setting: a noire story set in the late 40's.

However it's far from perfect, the controls are bad and the game is too short.
  89. Apr 22, 2012
    Boooring. I love noire movies. But those convey atmosphere and an interesting plot. The L.A. city looked very convincing, but the atmosphere was barely there. There was something missing. In the retrospective I cannot imagine how this could have worked in a sem sandbox world. The "noirness" of the noir movies comes from conersations, camera work, rightly cued music. Many of those elements cannot take palce when you are running around etc. Expand
  90. Apr 6, 2013
    It was an interesting game. Good graphics, story, voice acting, music score. Brings back a lot of memories when I was a little kid. Great attention to detail of that time period. The pc controls are a little bid clunky. I hated the ending but hell, I'm a sap for happy endings. Oh well.
  91. Dec 30, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a good game, but it's far from perfect. The story is great, the facial animations are amazing, but the controls are a bit off. I played the PC version and it took a while to get used to. The controls aren't terrible, but I'm guessing the game is better on a console (bad port?) or with an actual controller. This game is definitely not for everyone. It requires a lot of patience and if you're the type of person who just wants to kill everything in sight and be done with it, this game is not for you. TL;DR ver. Rent. It's a good game, it just doesn't have a lot of replay value. I've been waiting a while for this to be released on PC and while it's not the best game I've played in a while, it's still worth checking out. Expand
  92. Jan 11, 2012
    I first played this on a mates ps3 so when it came to I got it on the first day this comes with all the extra add on stuff that ps3/xbox360 owners had to pay extra for on pc the only fault is the controls They will make you mad at first but I got used to them the fight controls are stupid this is worth a try
  93. Jan 24, 2012
    Pretty much just a storytelling game. The extent to which a player actually effects the outcomes is fairly limited. Sure you can pin a murder on x when it was probably y, but... so what. You still slog through the story same as before. As far as graphics and gameplay complaints voiced by others, I did not experience any problems whatsoever. I ran the game on full graphics with minimal tweaks and did not experience any framerate or crash issues at all. The detail level was fairly impressive. This game will keep you busy for a day or two, but after that, you'll either be finished or bored, and it's replay value is non-existant. Expand
  94. Feb 22, 2012
    This is a good game. Not as much freedom as the GTA series, but the ambiance of 1940's L.A. is great. The game doesn't have much replay-ability due to the aforementioned lack of freedom. You kind of have to go from one point to the next (even though you can choose to answer calls while en route). My machine is relatively modest, but tends to play most new games at medium settings, but this one doesn't run smoothly even on the lowest settings. It appears to be a rather poor port from the consoles (shock). Despite this, the game is pretty good. I would especially say it is worth a try especially if you can get it at less than full price. Expand
  95. Mar 13, 2012
    Yet another brilliant port from Rockstar. *sarcasm* In all seriousness, I guess this is what happens when you focus more on the consoles than on all platforms, or maybe they're just too plain incompetent, as the only good port I saw from R* was the PC version of Vice City. And it didn't help that they used a clunky DRM system that reminds me of some draconian anti-cheat system from Korea. The storyline and overall concept is brilliant though, plus the addition of licensed cars and a (mostly) accurate depiction of downtown Los Angeles adds to the charm. Expand
  96. Dec 4, 2012
    I bought this game on steam during the black friday week for only 5 bucks. For the price paid, it was worth every penny. All in all, the story is great, the characters are enjoyable, the ending could have been definitely better. With the exception of shooting and driving, the controls are often awkward, remembering it is a console port. The graphics are great. The city is big, but the interaction with it is limited to what pertains to the cases you are working on. The investigation is good, the questioning and intuition system is a great addition. For most people, it is a one play through game. For completionists, they will probably have a second play through. With the lack of alternate endings, I doubt I will play it over again. Expand
  97. Jul 19, 2012
    The game requires much more computer power than its graphics call for; the game was just badly ported to the PC with little thought about performance. Games like Just Cause 2 have better graphics, more textures and more amazing visuals with half that lag. What helped my performance was to run the game in single processor mode; for some reason, it ran faster since then. Now: about the game itself. It's cinematically a masterpiece, it feels like you're watching real actors - which you are! The story is the only reason to play this game, however, as the gameplay is just an excuse for progressing through the story and is nothing amazing. The funnest part of the gameplay is to watch the interviewed characters and decide if they are lying or not by their facial expressions, and to select the evidence that counters their claims. Although the game is not nearly challenging enough, or even challenging for a detective game, I found it satisfying to detect when the subjects were lying for the sheer satisfaction of being right. Otherwise, there is no real penalty apart from lengthened missions. I'd say this game is on par with games like bioshock, so I'm rating it a 7, for its unmatched acting, great story and good integration of detective work, however with some issues like being a laggy PC port, lacking challenge and having a boring gameplay if you strip away the story elements. Expand
  98. Sep 14, 2012
    The story was enjoyable however I felt the gameplay became too repetitive and slow. The city was also too big and boring to drive around. The game for me only got good towards the end.
  99. Oct 1, 2013
    The good - very high quality - the best animation - the best voice and sound The bad - not fun as a game - way too hard without walkthroughs - way too boring with walkthroughs This one has a very good quality. They produce the game that look much like a real world. The way people speak, act, and their faces are too real. But somehow it failed as a fun game. There is not much fun in it. The detective part is just too hard, especially for non-native English speaker.

That's it. This game prove that even though how great your graphics are, it doesn't mean it will be a great game.
  100. Jul 14, 2013
    Bought this game because it was supposed to be a great one. Turns out it's not great, but not bad either. I personally found parts of it to be tedious, boring, and slow for my tastes. But there were fun, interesting, and exciting elements to it as well.

Plot is interesting enough as it unfolds and I did want to find out what was going to happen next every time something I finished a
    part of a case or even a whole case itself. There is a steady progression in the overall story and it's admittedly exciting to see it all come together by the end.

Voice acting is superb, however it seems like every interrogation is a shouting match and I didn't find that believable in some instances. There's A LOT of talking in this game so the high quality voice acting is of course expected. Sounds and music fit the era and add to the atmosphere.

Content and gameplay are good. There's a lot of tailing/sneaking, car chasing, perp chasing, shoot-outs, and of course various cases to solve. Crime scene investigations are cool as you get to test out your CSI skills. Interviewing is particularly satisfying because you have to decide whether what they are saying is true, doubtful, or an outright lie and you can tell by their facial expressions (some are easier to read than others).

Graphically decent, with particularly stellar work on facial graphics and character models in general they looked very life-like. Other than that though, the LA that they've created doesn't look anything spectacular given how other games look.

I did not have any trouble running this on highest settings on my system, unlike some people apparently. 3GHz Quad Core i5, 8gb RAM, Radeon 7950 3gb.

1. Feb 29, 2012
    A unique adventure game that borrows many features from mystery and action games, incorporating them seamlessly in the narrative flow, thus creating a truly special game that not everyone will enjoy. And that's because it has its own character, defying contemporary 'fast food' games that are churned out today and because it's reminiscent of endeavors made in another era, where immersion of an ultimate single-player experience was the first and last goal of their creators.
    Ingenious game merges a classic adventure with sandbox action titles, resourcefully. Playability is not always perfect but overall impression is stunning. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 12, 2012