7.9

1. Aug 9, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fairly solid game throughout, but with a few big hiccups overall.
    First, the story is solid and gripping up until the last act. Basically everything in the final parts of the game felt anti-climactic, and not intensely compelling or fascinating. In fact, the homicide part of the game is really the only part that really kept me intrigued. Add to this that the death of the main character is so lame (especially when compared to Red Dead Redemption), that I just laughed when it happened. What a wasted opportunity to make a great story, because everything else leading up to it was great.

I also do not like that your character is incapable of performing any actions other than running and walking unless it is "necessary" to do so for that particular instance of the game (ie you cannot choose to jump off the top of a building so you don't have to run all the way back down or what not like in GTA). This is, by far, the most player-constraining game Rockstar has made. Worth playing, worth buying, but definitely not their best game.
  2. Jul 6, 2016
    Gameplay : 7
    Graphics : 7
    Story : 9
    Sound : 7
    Overall : 8
  3. Jul 3, 2016
    L.A. Noire was a game which maked me return to games. It features a lot of cool missions where you will be investigating different crimes, and take a control of Cole Phelps — a detective from Los Angeles. There is a big familiarity with well-known GTA, Mafia, and it's combination of these games. The first things you will love in this game are graphics, story missions, gameplay. Really,L.A. Noire was a game which maked me return to games. It features a lot of cool missions where you will be investigating different crimes, and take a control of Cole Phelps — a detective from Los Angeles. There is a big familiarity with well-known GTA, Mafia, and it's combination of these games. The first things you will love in this game are graphics, story missions, gameplay. Really, it's interesting to decide who is guilty and who is innocent. In a nutshell, this game is as good as GTA, RDR, Max Payne. Expand
  4. Jun 22, 2016
    L.A. Noire is too damn long and too damn grim. These same issues plague most of Rockstar's recent titles (At least in Max Payne 3, it will be justifiable). That said, it's linearity actually felt like a break from the daunting sandboxes of GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption, and its focus on investigation and dialogue evokes the feel of old-school adventure games. The combat felt tacked on,L.A. Noire is too damn long and too damn grim. These same issues plague most of Rockstar's recent titles (At least in Max Payne 3, it will be justifiable). That said, it's linearity actually felt like a break from the daunting sandboxes of GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption, and its focus on investigation and dialogue evokes the feel of old-school adventure games. The combat felt tacked on, but the car chases were probably my favorite sections, and I found myself wishing there had been more of them. The game's touted facial animation technology is indeed impressive, and the dialogue mostly well-writen, giving the game a true cinematic quality. It has a few story elements I could have done without, but there's a few sequences- the trail of riddles left by the Black Dahlia murderer, the shootout at the movie set, the entire Nicholson Electroplating case- that made the tedium of the overall length of the game feel somewhat worthwhile. Expand
  5. Jun 17, 2016
    Игра отличная. Первая игра в которой эмоции персонажей проработаны на высшем уровне. Лучшая игра из жанра детектив. В игре присутствуют и загадки и множество выборов, что несомненно делает игру лучше. Игра в плане графики не выделяется чем-то особенным, но и не плохая.
    Графика 8/10
    Сюжет 10/10 Общая оценка: 9
    Графика 8/10
    Сюжет 10/10
    Общая оценка: 9
  6. FdO
    Jun 10, 2016
    This game is awful. Probably the worst ever made by Rockstar. Do not buy it! It looks like something made in '97 with 2011 graphics. The gameplay is awful, with a lot of restrictions. Sad, but it looks like an EA Game...
  7. Mar 9, 2016
    " L.A. Noire is totally underrated! It's one of my favourite games of all time. The setting, the style, the acting, the story, everything is just awesome. It starts pretty good but, you longer you play it's getting better, better, better,... In the end L.A. Noire is a Masterpiece."

OVERALL RATING: 10.0
  8. Feb 15, 2016
    By the time I am writing this review, I have not yet finished the game, but I am 10 hours in and would like to share my opinion and impressions, which hopefully will help you to decide whether you should get this game.

First of all, I'll start with the positive things: - The vibe and atmosphere/Setting: They did an AWESOME job at setting up the right setting and getting into the spirit

First of all, I'll start with the positive things:
    - The vibe and atmosphere/Setting: They did an AWESOME job at setting up the right setting and getting into the spirit of LA in 1947, at least IMO. I do like this period a lot, and the look of the game (if you like, you can play this in b/w as well), the music/radio broadcasts (unfortunately, no way to switch radio stations manually, apparently. No custom music either, but then again, listening to modern music in the car would kinda ruin the immersion), the cars, fashion, lingo etc... just GREAT.
    Also, since this is based on old thrillers and stories by guys like Raymond Chandler, they went for that vibe, and did it VERY well... this does feel a lot like a that noire crime fiction Chandler was famous for.

- The general idea is very cool and, IMO, refreshing - interrogating people and, based on the clues you found and their facial expressions (done with actors and motion capture) figuring out whether they're lying or not... great job there! The IGN review says that sometimes, it is too easy to tell when someone is telling a lie or getting nervous - but doesn't that add even more realism? After all, not everyone is a good liar irl!

- The gameplay. The cars DO feel a bit... odd, chases can get a tiny bit frustrating, the shooting mechanics are far from perfect, but between examining crime scenes, searching for clues, interrogating witnesses and suspects, using your notebook to find clues, car chases, shootouts and some interludes to deepen the story, there is some variety.

- The characters. I really like the main protagonist, and some of his fellow policemen. Sure, there is quite a bit of clichè to be found here, but that again fits well, as this is a tribute to the noire-genre, which never was deep literature anyway.

Now for the less than positive or even negative parts:

- On rails. To a certain degree, the game takes away your freedom. An example: In one case, I apparently missed a clue at one of the places I visited. I was doing interrogations at the police station, and was not able to go back to those places and pick up the thing I missed, which would have made solving the case easier and unlocked some additional questions/accusations.

- Evidence. Basically, if you think a person is not telling the truth, you wanna choose "doubt". If you pick "lie", you have to prove the person is a liar with a piece of evidence/clue from your notebook. And sometimes that doesn't work right. Not a bug, it's the writing. The abbreviated details of the clue or piece of evidence might make you think that it is clear evidence the guy is a liar, but when you choose it, the game says it's wrong or not enough.

- Some frame rate issues. This game is by no means recent. I don't have a killer gaming pc (i7, 16 gigs of ram, Nvidia GTX 960 with 4 GB of ram), but I would think that it should be able to run this game well... and still, there are frame rate issues, the game sometimes slows down. Odd, when games like Unity, Mad Max, GTA V, Witcher III or even Arkham Knight perform much better on my system. YMMV.

- Repetition. Sometimes, the cases are TOO alike, or at least the procedure you do is. There is a bigger storyline with a certain series of murders, and at one point, it was like "OK, another murder like those other ones. Check for clues. Interrogate. Visit a bar. Visit another place. Interrogate. Done". Of course, those steps should be part of it in a crime/police-game, but I think there should have been more variety in the cases or the activities that are involved in them.
    I did enjoy the homicide cases (after the first or second promotion), but didn't enjoy the drug-related cases I was given after my next promotion

- Mechanics. As I said, driving feels...wonky. Mind you, you are not driving a very recent sports car or something like that, but the controls feel a bit clunky sometimes, and so do the physics. I did play the game with an Xbox controller.

Verdict: The idea was refreshing, and they really nailed it with the setting and vibe. Unfortunately, there are flaws to the whole Lie/truth/doubt/clues/notebook-system. Sometimes it's misleading, not elaborate enough, and sometimes it's too much "on rails".
    However, the story, vibe and the idea itself are great, and even though it's not perfect, I'd give this a 7.5/10. I got this while it was on sale and do not regret it at all, I do enjoy the game. Check out some gameplay videos maybe, and if you can get it on sale and dig crime/police-games and the era this is set in, check it out!
  9. Feb 4, 2016
    Expertly written and filled with wonderfully technical aspects, L.A. Noire is one hell of an amazing ride to remember, despite some redundancies along its path.
  10. Jan 23, 2016
    By no means is it a GTA. No. L.A. Noire is rather an interactive movie. It is not a bad port - i have seen much worse, so this one is ok, although there are a couple of bugs like disappearing cars (when you drive around in one car, park, and enter another - the previous car is gone). Also - DRM. Really, devs - can you please stop with this DRM crap already? And the auto sign in doesBy no means is it a GTA. No. L.A. Noire is rather an interactive movie. It is not a bad port - i have seen much worse, so this one is ok, although there are a couple of bugs like disappearing cars (when you drive around in one car, park, and enter another - the previous car is gone). Also - DRM. Really, devs - can you please stop with this DRM crap already? And the auto sign in does not work, by the way, so every time i log into the game i need to input the Rock Star Social Club password. Seriously, i have good internet connection, but sometimes my internet goes down. What then? I'm pissed is what then! So minus one point just for that.

Alright. Got that out of my system. Moving on.
    The story is pretty good and damn extensive - it's really a novel of a game. Unfortunately, that's about the only thing that kept me playing L.A. Noire. I thought long and hard about why the game just isn't working and i have come up with this - the style of the gameplay just does not fit the mechanic chosen by the developers. This is a detective game, but it's not an adventure in the classical sense - you don't really solve any puzzles. You blindly hunt for clues in a limited area, then confront the potential culprit via a dialogue. Yes, you do have choices as to how the dialogue proceeds, however, they are limited to three ambiguous groups which almost never fit the situation, namely "Truth", "Doubt", and "Lie". My game experience was that almost never could i predict the response of Phelps (the protagonist you play) based on these three vague categories. You would think that "Doubt" would mean what it says, but instead, when you choose this specific branch of response, Phelps intimidates, threatens, accuses, and verbally assaults his interlocutor, instead of politely and politically correctly doubting with some logical reasoning and supporting arguments. When you choose "Lie", Phelps will accuse the suspect of something and then has to present the evidence in support of the allegation. However, once again, you never know what he will accuse the suspect of - and many a times, i was completely surprised as to where the dialogue went, since i had no supporting grounds for the accusation. So, in short - dialogue is pretty unpredictable, "streamlined" as they call it, made for children who can read only one-syllable words. But RockStar, let me ask you this - you make such a deep game, with such convoluted and twisted criminal cases, and them you give us three dialogue choices which plunge a good game into the arcade genre? Why?

Moving on. Phelps. As the protagonist, i did not enjoy playing him. But it doesn't have to be a bad thing. He is a very strong character, very well portrayed, pretty deep, and believable. However, playing him was not a joyful ride - it wasn't a torture - but i would rather play his "friend" (not gonna give away any spoilers).

The gameplay basically comes to this - look for clues, talk to suspects, next case. You don't even have to drive around the city, since there is an automatic get-to-the-place feature. From these two, clue-hunting is interesting during the first few cases, then - it becomes a monotone routine. As for the dialogue - see above. Thus, the game is very repetitive and one dimensional. Compare, for example with GTA - every mission was so different it was amazing. Why not do this here. I mean every case in L.A. Noire is pretty damn good, interesting, intense. The characters (suspects and partners) are so damn good. The voice overs are amazing, the facial mimicry is photo-realistic! And yet the monochrome gameplay ruins it all with a wave of a wand.

Well, thanks to the story which kept me going, i finished the game in 30 hours.
    Can i recommend it?
    For $5, Yes. Not for more. And keep it mind - DRM.

Overall, such a good chance was missed in this project. Ouch.
  11. Dec 27, 2015
    Pretty much just a storytelling game. The extent to which a player actually effects the outcomes is fairly limited. Sure you can pin a murder on x when it was probably y, but... so what. You still slog through the story same as before. As far as graphics and gameplay complaints voiced by others, I did not experience any problems whatsoever. I ran the game on full graphics with minimalPretty much just a storytelling game. The extent to which a player actually effects the outcomes is fairly limited. Sure you can pin a murder on x when it was probably y, but... so what. You still slog through the story same as before. As far as graphics and gameplay complaints voiced by others, I did not experience any problems whatsoever. I ran the game on full graphics with minimal tweaks and did not experience any framerate or crash issues at all. The detail level was fairly impressive. This game will keep you busy for a day or two, but after that, you'll either be finished or bored, and it's replay value is non-existant. Expand
  12. Nov 9, 2015
    A great experiment with mixed results, the use of face capture technology is very impressive but probably won't age well. Tying the unique tech to an interrogation mechanic is a great idea, though sometimes the interrogations themselves can be frustrating and illogical, even to the point that I'd just restart the mission if it became a wash. Shooting and driving are both passable andA great experiment with mixed results, the use of face capture technology is very impressive but probably won't age well. Tying the unique tech to an interrogation mechanic is a great idea, though sometimes the interrogations themselves can be frustrating and illogical, even to the point that I'd just restart the mission if it became a wash. Shooting and driving are both passable and functional, except for a frustrating sequence in the finale which involves way more shooting than the rest of the game.

What I love most about this game is its adherence to Noir style, complete with all the backstabbing intrigue that comes with it. Nearly every Noir trope is in full effect here, and there's some truly excellent acting to be found, on par with Hollywood productions, probably because there are a great deal of talented character actors involved that you'll probably recognize from this thing or that. The story is solid and kept me hooked, and its final scene is brilliantly delivered. As with others I've enjoyed, this is a game I recommend not for the strength of its mechanics, but for its "feel", and in terms of making you feel like a hard-boiled Noir detective, you won't find anything better on the market.
  13. Sep 19, 2015
    I've owned a copy for STEAM since I've had my account, but I never played it until today, so I installed it and fired the game up.

First impressions? I am not impressed. To begin with, why did Rockstar seem to think it was necessary to force players to make an account for services for their game? This kind of crap drives me nuts. I don't usually ever use the online parts of a game

First impressions? I am not impressed.

To begin with, why did Rockstar seem to think it was necessary to force players to make an account for services for their game? This kind of crap drives me nuts. I don't usually ever use the online parts of a game and I don't like being hassled to sign up for their services ever. They have a way to bypass it, but the fact that they shove it in my face to begin with pisses me off.

I am running a modern machine that plays modern games. This game should run, feel and play amazing on my hardware... And it doesn't. It is constantly lagging, the graphics are dull and lifeless. You would think a PC port that came out almost a decade ago would actually play well on a computer with a 6GB GPU, but no. I searched the STEAM forums and this has been an issue since day one and no one has found a good way to take care of this issue.

The game-play is less then exciting. The entire game is broken up into bits. Search a crime scene --> talk to witnesses --> (sometimes) chase down a perp --> interrogate suspect. This is the way every case goes and while the writing is sometimes interesting, the game gets real old, real fast. In between moments they sprinkle in some gun-play but not enough to make any difference.

In the end, this was a highly over praised game that didn't deserve the accolades it was given.
  14. Sep 11, 2015
    L.A. Noire was a very hyped game for years. With countless delays and rumors, you never knew what was happening with it. Finally Rockstar released it in 2011 to great critical acclaim. But it L.A. Noire actually good? You play as Cole Phelps, an up and coming police officer in 1940s LA. The city is made very nicely, but besides doing the main story missions, there isn't anything to do inL.A. Noire was a very hyped game for years. With countless delays and rumors, you never knew what was happening with it. Finally Rockstar released it in 2011 to great critical acclaim. But it L.A. Noire actually good? You play as Cole Phelps, an up and coming police officer in 1940s LA. The city is made very nicely, but besides doing the main story missions, there isn't anything to do in it. The motion capture actors are amazing in this game. While the graphics alone aren't amazing, the expressions on people's faces are something no game has done before or since L.A. Noire. Besides the standard GTA run and gunning, the gameplay consists of solving crime scenes with a ton of variety. You can actually mess up an investigation, which is cool. The main issue with this game is the asking questions/interrogation mechanics/gameplay. It is simply awful. You may choose to ask someone something from the options given and Phelps might say something completely out of left field. This really hurts the game many times. Plus the story overall tries to be L.A. Confidential, but ends up just cheaply copying off of it. It L.A. Noire a good game? All I can say is: it's okay. Expand
  15. Aug 28, 2015
    I'm going to be kind and give this a 4. the world is beautiful and rich, the story is apparently fantastic, the characters filled out and detailed, and the missions varied.
    But this game, if you can call it that, fails at so many levels. At no point does it ever encourage mere exploration of the vast and beautiful recreation of LA. the detective mechanics are weak, vibrating controller to find clues? I'm on PC! and regularly vague choices leading to inevitable failure (you can accuse someone of a lie based on evidence you know and have found, yet are unable to present it ,and ultimately fail the accusation)
    The actual searching mechanic is slow, clunky and jarring every time you use it, zooming in on detailed objects in much less detailed environments. triggers for searching are also far to small or far to large, sometimes able to look at a simple bottle on the ground instead of the very obvious knife on side-walk.
    Overall, as a detective game LA noire fails, with more modern examples excelling, as a technological piece it fails, with the motion capture just too slow and already dated, and as a world with such a beautifully crafted world, it fails to allow you to view the beauty without constantly feeling punished.
  16. Aug 2, 2015
    L.A. Noire is a fun detective game. Although, it doesn't come without faults. The game is clearly not very optimized for PC, as there are bugs concerning keyboard and mouse control. Using a mouse to select stuff while doing detective work can sometimes be frustrating. The options menu is lackluster with the video options, making you have to fine tune everything in the .ini file. Also, theL.A. Noire is a fun detective game. Although, it doesn't come without faults. The game is clearly not very optimized for PC, as there are bugs concerning keyboard and mouse control. Using a mouse to select stuff while doing detective work can sometimes be frustrating. The options menu is lackluster with the video options, making you have to fine tune everything in the .ini file. Also, the game is capped at thirty frames per second.

I've enjoyed my time with L.A. Noire so far though. The voice acting is well done, the lip sync technology is awesome. I'm generally not very peeved off by clunky controls; I get over them quite well. Some people might not though, so you might want to play the game with a controller or on a console.
  17. Jul 29, 2015
    Lots of things to say on that game.

-Graphics Shameless, crappy port. My computer is brand new and this game is 4 years old, and I still have choppiness issues when I'm playing with all options on Performance. On Quality options, I get a screen freeze of about 0.3 seconds every other second. You have to REALLY want to play the game on those conditions, but the worst is that Final
    Lots of things to say on that game.

-Graphics
    Shameless, crappy port. My computer is brand new and this game is 4 years old, and I still have choppiness issues when I'm playing with all options on Performance. On Quality options, I get a screen freeze of about 0.3 seconds every other second. You have to REALLY want to play the game on those conditions, but the worst is that Final Fantasy XIII came out two years before, looks much better and its port isn't exactly great, yet I can play it with almost no lag ever.

-Sounds
    Sound department did its job, lots of jazz and 40s music, voice acting is usually absolutely top notch.

-Gameplay(action)
    The city is HUGE. And I mean this in the worst way. So many incredibly long drives in streets with absolutely nothing to do! There is a fast travel system but it isn't the solution to boring driving, the solution is interesting driving! The mechanics are neither as realistic as GTA4 nor as fun as other GTAs, it's in the uncanny valley of not fun and not realistic.
    The shootouts are sort of alike, but the problem with it is fairly simple: it's too easy. 99% of my gunfights I win by aiming fast and dumping all my rounds.

-Gameplay(investigation)
    The whole scouring everything to find clues gets tedious but it is a real cop's job so it's fine. The interrogations are something wholly different though. Choosing between Truth and Doubt/Lie is usually very easy, but many times the questions are very unclear and so are Phelps' sentences.
    Let's take this example:
    -Mrs, where was your husband last night?
    -He stayed at the bar till 11pm.
    And I know for a fact that the husband did due to another testimony. But if I say "Truth", I get a penalty, I was supposed to doubt.

Doubt often has completely unpredictable results, it goes from "I think you know a little more than you pretend" to "How many more children have you raped?" and you never get told what Phelps will say(just a first sentence would do a lot).

Lie is pretty straightforward but unlike Ace Attorney, you don't get your HP bar down, you get to lose and not ask again or present another piece of evidence. And like AA, sometimes several different pieces can lead to the same conclusion, yet the game will only accept one piece.

So every time I interrogate, I spend more time asking myself what Truth, Doubt and Lie will do than I spend wondering if I'm being told the truth or not. It's aggravating since interrogations are the most important part of the game.

-Characters
    I'd love to say that like other Rockstar games this is where it shines, but doesn't. It has all the diversity you could want and lots of characters alright, but diversity does not make quality. This is the part of the game where the comparison to Ace Attorney skewers LA Noire; I can remember every single case and about 90% of Ace Attorney characters just from seeing their faces.
    Here, it's full of interchangeable characters who aren't special enough to be remembered. Realism is fine, but then the excitement and memorabilia must come from something else. Which leads me to the two killer points:

-Atmosphere
    Supposedly a Noir game, I think it misplaced its time period by about 15 years. The prohibition and great mafia rise were not the end of the 40s and more than that, I sincerely never felt like I was in the 50s except with the homicide desk boss who is a full-blown McCarthyst. Everybody else, down to the last person, could be put in a 2000s setting and they'd fit just fine.
    The problem of the big empty city is omnipresent. There's so much 40s to see, but nothing to do with it. no actions, no specific 40s feeling, nothing. It just doesn't have atmosphere. I don't feel in the 40s, ever, partly due to the characters, in much greater part because there is nothing specifically 40s that I can do.

-Story
    To put it short, the story is as clunky as the gameplay. The Homicide story is the best example: Homicide is 6 cases, 5 are murders where you convict innocent people and the 6th is finding the real serial killer. And the game does a great job at keeping a bit of doubt as to whether there is a serial killer or not, but since it's repeated at every case that it might be the same killer, then you eventually just guess that it will be. And when the real killer-catching case shows up, here's how it goes:
    -Get sent bits of poems
    -Guess the location of the next bit of poem by pinpointing landmarks on your map
    -Go get the next bit
    -Rinse and repeat 7 times

Very boring? Oh yes. Driving and driving and clunky minigames. But the worst is the end.
    At the 7th, you find him. Then you straight up shoot him.

So after 5 cases of wondering whodakilla, you just have the guy lead you on by the nose like he's sick of you failing, and you finish him off like a dog in the catacombs.

Extremely underwhelming.

And the whole game is sort of like that. 40s but no atmosphere, large story but tiny payoff(didn't finish the whole game yet), lots of characters that are forgotten. Underwhelming.
  18. Jul 20, 2015
    L.A. Noire is one of my favorite games of all time. This is better then any other police/detective game out there. The atmosphere of the game is dark, gritty, and wonderful. Cole Phelps is a person that people can relate with compared to other games. The game is great. Buy it. Buy all of Rockstar's games ( Except GTA London and the Portable GTA's those are terrible).
  19. Jul 8, 2015
    More adventure and mystery than GTA or Red Dead Redemption, mind you, but Rockstar just makes amazing games. There is still some driving (which thankfully can be skipped 90% of the time with sort-of fast travel) and some shooting, but it is mostly clue searching and question asking. The meat of the game is judging every answer you get with Truth, Doubt, or Lie - and if you select Lie, youMore adventure and mystery than GTA or Red Dead Redemption, mind you, but Rockstar just makes amazing games. There is still some driving (which thankfully can be skipped 90% of the time with sort-of fast travel) and some shooting, but it is mostly clue searching and question asking. The meat of the game is judging every answer you get with Truth, Doubt, or Lie - and if you select Lie, you have to present evidence you've found to prove it.

It did get boring and I wish it was about 30% shorter or tightened up a bit. It also got a bit repetitive. The story was pretty good with some minor holes, but probably worth your play. It's a unique game.
  20. Jun 6, 2015
    The good: facial animations are great, game feels unique.
    The bad: game gets old quickly, it fails to fully engage the player, graphics look dated.
    Conclusion: it's a pity that the developers could not deliver an engaging game for such unique idea.
  21. May 30, 2015
    If you ever happen to see one of the old "Dragnet" TV episodes you will really understand how this game relives much of that old attitude towards crime (the facts m'am, just the facts). You must have the patience of a detective to play, well, the detective. This can be a pro or a con, depending on your preferences. It was interesting and fun to play it once, and it's worth it if the priceIf you ever happen to see one of the old "Dragnet" TV episodes you will really understand how this game relives much of that old attitude towards crime (the facts m'am, just the facts). You must have the patience of a detective to play, well, the detective. This can be a pro or a con, depending on your preferences. It was interesting and fun to play it once, and it's worth it if the price is right. The DLCs do add other interesting cases. This game has great potential if it's ever re-released with more sophisticated game play and investigative cases. Expand
  22. May 21, 2015
    Another bad game from FailStar Games
    Story sucks,voice acting is bad,gameplay is bad,requiments is joke on PC and 3 DVD for console version?
    This game real sucks!
  23. May 12, 2015
    One of the best games we've played. The story is superb, evolution actors mia not say. The city created real faorte. It's a great game .
  24. Jan 18, 2015
    This game is ambitious beyond reason but also hugely successful in its execution. It really brings to life the world of James Ellroy to an extent I didn't think we could see in a game, at least not yet. The plot is intricate, the characters are cruel but nuanced, the city itself is alive. The ending is excellent. It holds no punches and it makes no excuses - it is the thinking man's GTAThis game is ambitious beyond reason but also hugely successful in its execution. It really brings to life the world of James Ellroy to an extent I didn't think we could see in a game, at least not yet. The plot is intricate, the characters are cruel but nuanced, the city itself is alive. The ending is excellent. It holds no punches and it makes no excuses - it is the thinking man's GTA (which is how we also explain the less daunting sales figures) and if you want to piece every part of the plot together, you'd better pay attention. If you find this appealing, this game is bound to be something very special for you, otherwise you shouldn't bother.

The good:
    Just driving through LA (which you will do a lot of) is astounding in itself. For a long time, the game suffered from poor graphics performance and fairly weak visuals but with the DX11 version now running perfectly, the game is absolutely great to look at. And that's really important when so much of the game is the ambiance, the visual details, the feel of driving through 40s LA. The gameplay is original and the storyline is fascinating. Your fellow characters have real depth and so does your primary protagonist and the city itself. The world is dirty, corrupt, greedy, harsh, sad, all the things the world of Ellroy needs to be and it pulls no punches. There are no heroes here but that doesn't mean they're all villains either. The content is very large for a linear, story-driven game. Lots of cases, lots of societal aspects covered and unapologetically unfolded before us, lots of nasty little secrets to uncover. If you ever felt drawn to the world of true noire detectives, this is for you.

The bad:
    Very little, obviously, since I give it a 10. A few times, the game mechanic used during suspect interviews can feel a little arbitrary - that what you expect something to mean isn't what is actually meant by accusing a certain person of something at a specific time. Sometimes the game and the player will misunderstand each other which will lead to the player quitting and replaying a segment and feeling annoyed because he expected a different outcome from an action than the game presented and the player had no way of anticipating this. It isn't always exactly clear what the consequences will be from selecting a specific dialogue but most of the time it works. The facial animation can still seem slightly outdated (or very) but you can recognize the actors and the acting itself is top notch.

Do not buy this game if you're looking for a new GTA, do not buy if you don't like stories and want action. But if you like stories, noire literature/film, Ellroy, just trying something a bit new to gaming, you HAVE to play this game. Very rewarding, extremely well done. This game was cared for down to its smallest detail, I hope we see more like this.
  25. Dec 11, 2014
    +Яркие персонажи
    -Однотипные погони и драки
    -Надоедающий игровой процесс
  26. Nov 23, 2014
    It's good. I'm not a huge fan of mystery but this game was well done. I am playing it years after it was released and to me it stands out as a brave attempt at creating a new genre. It has its flaws. At the start it can be bland. 20 hours in I would have liked a better ending to the homicide desk, but yeah it's set in the 40s. The atmosphere is enjoyable as are the characters you'reIt's good. I'm not a huge fan of mystery but this game was well done. I am playing it years after it was released and to me it stands out as a brave attempt at creating a new genre. It has its flaws. At the start it can be bland. 20 hours in I would have liked a better ending to the homicide desk, but yeah it's set in the 40s. The atmosphere is enjoyable as are the characters you're forced to deal with as you progress in your career. The facial animation was groundbreaking but I'm not sure what other type of game could use it to such an extent. Nearly thoroughly enjoyable experience. Expand
  27. Oct 7, 2014
    I would have reviewed this game but the boxed copy i bought won't go further than the lanoire menu as it says "error receiving patch details" the abruptly closes, if this version had a steam code in the box like so many other games this would not have been a problem...
  28. Oct 6, 2014
    Excellent cinematic atmosphere, story, soundtrack, and great characters. The interrogation gameplay was interesting, but sometimes also frustrating. At times the correct choices seemed a bit far-fetched or inconsistent, even if you were very careful. Maybe the developer pushed this gameplay mechanic a bit too hard in an atempt to keep the difficulty high enough. This prevented me fromExcellent cinematic atmosphere, story, soundtrack, and great characters. The interrogation gameplay was interesting, but sometimes also frustrating. At times the correct choices seemed a bit far-fetched or inconsistent, even if you were very careful. Maybe the developer pushed this gameplay mechanic a bit too hard in an atempt to keep the difficulty high enough. This prevented me from enjoying an excellent game as much as I should have. The combat also feels out of place (when gunning down hordes of nameless bad guys like in GTA) in a mature game. Flaws aside, this is still a milestone and an example of video games slowly growing up. The open world city is also amazingly authentic, arguably better (and certainly larger) than Liberty City in GTA 4. Porting from consoles was done acceptably well - you get HD textures and enough options, but there is a console checkpoint save system, 30-fps lock and a little mouse lag. Sadly Rockstar Social Club is mandatory. Expand
  29. Sep 9, 2014
    Since they felt the need to put this on the front page of Steam again, I thought I'd come point out that this is one of the worst PC ports you can play. It's capped at 30 FPS(ugh), meaning it's very choppy. It also has a lot of issues that were never fixed.It's a shame really because it's a nice looking game, but it was basically shovelwared to PC with no effort or respect for theSince they felt the need to put this on the front page of Steam again, I thought I'd come point out that this is one of the worst PC ports you can play. It's capped at 30 FPS(ugh), meaning it's very choppy. It also has a lot of issues that were never fixed.It's a shame really because it's a nice looking game, but it was basically shovelwared to PC with no effort or respect for the platform. It's a lot like the Dark Souls PC port, which is also terrible. And like that game, it's highly rated. These games are TERRIBLE on PC, yet have glaring ratings. This is why you shouldn't trust Metacritic with console ports. Everyone is over rating these because the console version is good... that's nice and all... except that we're talking about the PC version here, in the PC section, and on Steam. You can also read plenty of reports about crashes or freezes(from people that have actually played it).

If you want this, get it on a console. Do not get it on PC. The PC version is absolutely terrible, and most of the reviews(even in the PC section of Metacritic) are praising it because of the console version, aka, idiots that'll probably never even try the version they are giving positive ratings to. Rockstar is another company that cares very little about the PC players, usually just shovelware porting their console games onto the platform. Btw, it also has Rockstar Studios attached to it, even on the Steam version.
    -Drain (Steam)
  30. Sep 9, 2014
    Very well thought out plot and polish on even the smallest details, I would highly recommend. The PC version runs well, but compared to other games on the PC, this one obviously wasn't a very well optimized console game. Also the graphics don't seem as attractive as other games, but still looks good nonetheless.
  31. Sep 4, 2014
    LA Noire is a very original game. Great characters, great atmosphere, gread soundtrack, great story. What else can you desire more? I simply loved playing it from the begining to the end.
  32. Jul 12, 2014
    They should have done it like The Walking Dead. So many people took this option and so many people took that one... "were not saying your right or wrong, but this is how you compared to everyone else"

Instead its *4 options in* "Nope your wrong, haha, you failed.,. now what?" well... im gonna restart my **** game... Restarting your "**** game" does not = good gameplay... that's

Instead its *4 options in* "Nope your wrong, haha, you failed.,. now what?"

well... im gonna restart my **** game...

Restarting your "**** game" does not = good gameplay... that's the problem I have with LA Noire...

everything is good at the base.. just don't tell me I screwed up or imgonna want to do it again and not screw up.

... and seeing how "doing it again and not screwing up," isn't an option (nor should it be) im sitting here, a good portion of my experience, restarting the damn game.

it becomes more irritating than fun....

im about to post this on meta-critic and give it a 7

"Great game, with one hiccup, that completely kills it"

and i would change "Doubt" to "Question" as that's pretty much spot on, gameplay wise, and eliminates a ton of confusion, and failed attempts, vs "Doubt"

i don't know about you, but if i think,even in the slightest, that someone is lying, i "Doubt" them... even if someone is telling the truth, but letting certain **** slide...

"My aunt keeps a lot of children, and would never hurt a child, because shes feeds the watermelons in her back yard" im gonna have **** QUESTIONS... she may be telling the truth about her aunt, i dont "doubt it" I even have proof..

she DOES INDEED keep a lot of chilren and does feed teh water melons in her back yard.. but i got **** questions.

#1 "wtf does your aunts watermelons have to do with taking care of and not beating children?"

this is a VERY well done start up, of what could be a great franchise, with certain little critical problems, that need to be addressed, before it makes it to "the big time"
  33. Jun 13, 2014
    Had this game for about a year and did not play it because my computer could just about handle it at the lowest - made for poor gameplay. Just got a new computer with i7 / 3 gig card and poor performance is gone all the way cranked up - I agree with the low scorers here as the graphics are not the best, even for 2012. However, if you really get into it and try to analyze witness/suspectHad this game for about a year and did not play it because my computer could just about handle it at the lowest - made for poor gameplay. Just got a new computer with i7 / 3 gig card and poor performance is gone all the way cranked up - I agree with the low scorers here as the graphics are not the best, even for 2012. However, if you really get into it and try to analyze witness/suspect correctly you are rewarded with some (very little?) content (and self satisfaction)-and its more than just looking at their facial expressions, you need to look back the clues and even the dialog flow to get it right. Which does make for a slow paced game, more of a puzzle game vs. an action game. Driving / Action Sequences / Shoot Outs are pretty much textbook Rockstar material. IMO its a fun game, showing a lot of originality. if you have a decent computer to get past performance issues, can immerse yourself as a beat cop, detective, homicide cop, etc. to get to the truth, and are not ADD, you will like the game - gave it the anti-troll 10 but is more like an 8 for me. Expand
  34. May 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. L.A Noire follows a police officer through his cases and then a detective, the game brings back memories and its generally a brilliant game, honestly it nails its atmosphere and Immersives you in the shoes of a detective, and the game's story requires you to pay attention to the story and evidence, honestly its brilliant, must buy. Expand
  35. May 1, 2014
    An interesting concept. The interrogation gameplay is fun and exciting on your first playthrough and the storytelling is excellent. The city of L.A. is beautifully presented but somehow doesn't feel alive. Do not expect a well optimized port.
  36. Apr 27, 2014
    I don't know why this game isn't so famous. Probably because it's not stupid and addictive. In this game characters move and act like humans for the first time of video games history. Graphics and details are realistic. The story and the gameplay are better than Grand Theft Auto. I really enjoyed every moment of that game. And if you think it's boring I say: that's because you wanna beatI don't know why this game isn't so famous. Probably because it's not stupid and addictive. In this game characters move and act like humans for the first time of video games history. Graphics and details are realistic. The story and the gameplay are better than Grand Theft Auto. I really enjoyed every moment of that game. And if you think it's boring I say: that's because you wanna beat it fast. I'm sorry, it's not your type. Expand
  37. Apr 12, 2014
    This game looks coo, at the start,ut after getting halfway trough the game,it's pretty boring.
    You got the same things over and over again : Investigate, Interrogate, Go from place to place, On foot chase, Car chase and maybe a shooting sometimes, then some last interrogation.
    I know that looking at people faces to see if they are lying is interesting, but after sometime it gets boring.
  38. Mar 22, 2014
    I don't know if I am just too incompetent to play this game right or if it is the game itself that manages to demoralize me every step of the way. This game is about interrogation and I think it's a great idea but sometimes I get the feeling that you can't really predict anything Detective Phelps is gonna say nor do I know if there is anything to back up doubts or accusations. This feelsI don't know if I am just too incompetent to play this game right or if it is the game itself that manages to demoralize me every step of the way. This game is about interrogation and I think it's a great idea but sometimes I get the feeling that you can't really predict anything Detective Phelps is gonna say nor do I know if there is anything to back up doubts or accusations. This feels kinda blurry to me and crashes the fun a bit because you're not being rewarded. And even if you get 90% of the questions in a case right the tall grump (your boss) is gonna diminish your police work - that sucks at best!
    Okay, away from that main point to game mechanics:
    Walking and driving feels dull and clumpy. Your mouse won't respond the way you'd expect. Thanks for porting the game so badly... The shooting sequences should've either been taken out of the game or done better - those are really boring to be honest. Run. Duck. Wait for the others to reload. Quick shooting session. Done. Always the same. I don't even want to get started on certain bugs as auto climbing failing to work, your keyboard/mouse input is just being ignored by the game and so on...
    Conclusive it is a decent game with a very neat idea and overall awesome facial expressions that unfortunately WON'T give you any hint what people are up to... sad but true. So it's either me and my minimalized mind for crime or really the game. That's why 7/10
  39. Mar 19, 2014
    I already reviewed the PS3 version of this game, the PC version is noticeable improved on visuals and performance, below my review:
    L.A.Noire is a mature, immersive and very well produced adventure. Don't expect a traditional sandbox or an action game, L.A.Noire is much more close to old (and great) investigative adventures we had on PC years and years ago.
    The environments are extremely
    The environments are extremely detailed and polished, every corner you explore is convincing and rich in details, the city is vast and amazing, cars are also impressive. Narrative is mature, deep and capture the "Noir" feeling and mood well. Characters are deep, something rare in video games, and will stay with you long after you finish the game.
    Facial animation is truly outstanding and the voice overs are all great and very expressive, all actors did a good job.
    Action moments are polished and fluid, just a bit repetitive at times, this is why I am not giving this unique game a perfect 10. Driving sequences are pleasant especially because the cars and the city just feel right, real but cinematic.
    L.A.Noire is not for every one, it is a slow pace game, but a immersive, deep, mature, dark and expressive gaming experience.
  40. Mar 4, 2014
    Hyped as it was to be an amazing detective game where you can see people lie to you, by using a state of the art facial motion capture system, this game should be a milestone in video gaming. I think the facial animations are not that good. They seem accurate to the dialog, but look like blending over images from a 3D scanner: teeth and lips morph into a goo of polygons.... Driving throughHyped as it was to be an amazing detective game where you can see people lie to you, by using a state of the art facial motion capture system, this game should be a milestone in video gaming. I think the facial animations are not that good. They seem accurate to the dialog, but look like blending over images from a 3D scanner: teeth and lips morph into a goo of polygons.... Driving through this city is horrible. Despite you are a cop obeying the traffic laws, other cars stop in front of you at green lights for no reason or pedestrians run in front of your car, dropping their bags, turning around, heading a totally different direction and don't give a damn about their missing stuff. Do people actually not want to go somewhere!? Are they just aimlessly wandering around!? Interrogation is also difficult. You can tell, when people are holding back or lying to you (looking around after the statement). But it is weird, that it is incorrect to accuse them of a lie using a piece of evidence on them, where it was correct to doubt their statement, where the dialog uses exactly that evidence you originally failed with (replayed the game). Street crimes are also resolved by killing every armed criminal, no chance to overpower them or persuade them to give up like "Hey, I just shot your ten friends! Do you want to die as well!?" This makes so little sense. *** The game has its good ideas but some of them are poorly executed. Details the player sees cannot be pointed out in the game (Lemma of player knowledge vs. character knowledge). Some general things are repetitive and annoying (better let your partner drive when you can!). It is -- as said -- a diamond in the rough. Expand
  41. Jan 24, 2014
    L.A. Noire sounds like it really should have been great. Unfortunately I can neither log into Rockstar's silly club nor start the game without that.

Have a 1 for the concept.
  42. Jan 3, 2014
    The game is great awesome graphics and nice concept but the optimization on PC version is bad and the game despite is considered an open-world game is more like an interactive movie
  43. Dec 7, 2013
    WOW! never seen a game doing something like this!
    so its not a GTA Clone as many think so it is a detective game that requires from you to pay attention to all of the cases.
    you collect clues from the crime scene then questioning your suspect, its like you are actually part of a detective story. in my opinion the hole face animation looks like they just "glued" a video animation into
    WOW! never seen a game doing something like this!
    in my opinion the hole face animation looks like they just "glued" a video animation into a character face, its still looks like its need improvment to the sequal

not so much cons in this game although i think that the in game UI needs improvment, its not that convenient, and the pc version shouldnt be locked at 30 fps
  44. Dec 3, 2013
    L.A. Noire is solid adventure game overall. Narrative is top-notch, and the overall setting is authentic enough for most of gamers to immerse themselves into this game. I can confidently say that L.A. Noire is just like GTA, but taking place in 1950's Hollywood. This means, that L.A. Noire suffers same shortcomings that GTA has also suffered.

I want to start off with interrogation

I want to start off with interrogation system first, as it is the main focus of the game. Here, you need to find out whether suspect is hiding something or speaking truly by looking at their facial animations. Then, players can choose three options after listening to the suspects you can either believe them, doubt them, or prove them that they are lying. This is where the problems with interrogation sequence kicks in There are no place for player's reasonings to come in. You just choose one of three options, and your avatar Cole Phelps or his sidekick will do come up with all the reasonings. It is fatal flaw for game that focuses heavily on investigations for its gameplay. Rather than feeling like detective in 50s, it feels more like watching detective film. That said, if you buy this game looking for action, you better look for other games.

This is same problem suffered by the GTA series. You'll feel freedom when you're racing through highway with cops on your tail, but there are little to no freedom regarding what you do in in-game missions. In L.A. Noire, whole game is basically an in-game mission of GTA, so there aren't any freedom in it, except maybe running over some innocent citizen with bouquet on their hand. Lack of freedom leads to one conclusion L.A. Noire didn't do well enough to utilize its open world setting. Although there are whole world to explore, after finding few hidden cars and solving emergency dispatch missions, you'll just going to hear lot of "straight through the intersection." You'll find the open world interesting at first, but it will just all come down to boring rollercoaster ride once the amazement has weared off.

The action part of the game is... questionable. Since it is an adventure game that focuses on the investigation, it is normal that the action part cannot compare to other AAA quality TPS games. One might argue that the action part is good enough for games like this, but one might also argue that the developers could've done better job with it. It depends on your perspective really, so there aren't much to say to it. Only problems I've found is that each emergency dispatch missions basically all boils down to "run from point A to point B" or "Shoot all the baddies" or "Smash baddies' car", or "run point A to point B, shoot all the baddies in process and smash baddies' car" so even though there are over 40 emergency dispatch missions, there aren't a lot of incentives to play it unless you want to desperately prolong your playtime of this game.

So, from what I just said, L.A. Noire just looks like a adventure game with questionable action sequence and questionable investigation sequence, but here is a catch this game is heavily narrative driven, and L.A. Noire does supreme job with their narrative. Believable settings, authentic looks and reference to the 50's culture all adds up for great narrative factor. This game feels like watching detective film, but a good one at that. Also, all those flaws I've listed, I didn't notice it until I completed the whole story mode. Each cases in story mode takes almost an hour to complete, and even more if you're looking for all five-star completion. There are many cases to solve in this game. So, what are you waiting for? grab your fedora and detective badge. The case isn't going to solve itself, right?
  45. Nov 9, 2013
    Loved investigate crimes, to look for clues.

A good story. Facial expressions are just super-heroes realistic. Very cool to sit and question people decide their fate, to be a good cop. After this game, I fell in love with the genre "noir." The game is worth playing.

Thank you for this game released for the PC. I really like this game!
  46. Nov 3, 2013
    I dislike GTA and find games of the interactive novel genre to be a bore. However, I loved almost every second of this game. It played perfectly on my average spec gaming Win7 PC (5.9 system rating) and I didn't experience any of the technical issues reported by others such as low frame-rate or sluggish controls. So, why did I enjoy it so much? For a start, the main storyline wasI dislike GTA and find games of the interactive novel genre to be a bore. However, I loved almost every second of this game. It played perfectly on my average spec gaming Win7 PC (5.9 system rating) and I didn't experience any of the technical issues reported by others such as low frame-rate or sluggish controls. So, why did I enjoy it so much? For a start, the main storyline was fantastic. Not only was it original, it was also both suspenseful and pretty deep without being far-fetched. The characters were believable and were strongly developed over the course of the game. As for the gameplay, it combines open-world driving and gun fighting with crime-scene investigation and witness/suspect interviews. There's a healthy split between GTA-style action and clue-hunting with the option to skip the majority of the driving by asking your partner to take the wheel. I disabled the crime-scene visual/audio clues and would suggest doing the same if you want a challenge. The interviews are quite hard but if you pay attention to clues and people's body language they're doable.

There are quite a lot of cut-scenes but they are of high quality and really help with the immersion.

My only criticism of the game would be the lack of first-person perspective. I grew up playing FPS and find the recent shift to forced 3rd person cameras in PC games to be a pathetic pandering to console kids but hey, that's an issue with the gaming industry not the game.

I mentioned how I dislike GTA.... no matter how much I try to enjoy it I always get bored after about an hour of gameplay. If you're the same, try L.A. Noire. However if you really liked GTA you might really hate this game, since all my GTA loving friends who have tried it said they found it too boring. Personally, I'd rather investigate the murder of a hooker than run one over and steal their purse.
  47. Oct 31, 2013
    This game oozes more class and atmosphere in one case than most games do in their entirety.
    Top notch story, acting, music and production.
    Could of used a little more 'game' content and was a shame not to 'use' more of the huge L.A. map they made.
    One of the best games out there and sincerely hope Rockstar makes a follow-up.
  48. Oct 16, 2013
    This game is crazy good. This game did what other sandbox games couldn't. Every aspect of the environment could give you clues to break the case. Facial expressions are great they could give you just information you need to call someone on a lie and get viable information for the case. I've not seen a game like this yet and that what makes this game so good. I highly recommend to try this game.
  49. Oct 1, 2013
    The good
    - very high quality
    - the best animation - the best voice and sound The bad - not fun as a game - way too hard without walkthroughs - way too boring with walkthroughs This one has a very good quality. They produce the game that look much like a real world. The way people speak, act, and their faces are too real. But somehow it failed as a fun game. There is not much
    The good
    - very high quality
    - the best animation
    - the best voice and sound

The bad
    - not fun as a game
    - way too hard without walkthroughs
    - way too boring with walkthroughs

But somehow it failed as a fun game. There is not much fun in it. The detective part is just too hard, especially for non-native English speaker.

That's it. This game prove that even though how great your graphics are, it doesn't mean it will be a great game.
  50. Sep 17, 2013
    what a unique game why because this time you're not the criminal who shots and kills people and try to get away from the police this time you play as a detective and try to catch the criminals that's why it is unique and new great graphics sounds and amazing atmosphere one of the best games of all time
  51. Sep 2, 2013
    Loving the fact that games can think outside the box.
    Similar games such as the modern CSI family cannot even come close in terms of story telling, atmosphere and thrill.
    Even though investigating cases usually meant going through the same routines, the differences in story background, persons of interest and action scenes kept me playing right up to the last case.
  52. Aug 31, 2013
    L.A. Noire is one of the best games I have played in a long time. It has an interesting story, with an even more interesting back story. The game does an amazing job in capturing the atmosphere and the style in the late 40s. Another feature is the amazing use of face capture, the create amazing facial expressions. This is necessary to answer the questions. The Story might be (at someL.A. Noire is one of the best games I have played in a long time. It has an interesting story, with an even more interesting back story. The game does an amazing job in capturing the atmosphere and the style in the late 40s. Another feature is the amazing use of face capture, the create amazing facial expressions. This is necessary to answer the questions. The Story might be (at some points) rather slow, but that time is used for character building, and it never gets boring. The only negative thing I had with the game are the controls. Somehow it was a little hard to aim. But maybe that's just me. Overall an amazing game that I would definitely recomend this game. Expand
  53. Aug 20, 2013
    Now I start this review about halfway through the game and I really am loving it, it feels fresh and unique. I'll get the bad out the way first in I feel the game gives you too much help finding clues, it will make a noise or if you're using a controller like me it will also rumble on a clue even if you're not looking at it.

The other reason is the car physics are pretty much awful,

The other reason is the car physics are pretty much awful, assuming this game was based on the same engine as GTA IV I'm surprised the cars feel really light and quite...well...derpy, they felt heavier in GTA IV. To put it bluntly, if you imagine a 1940-50s American car...they were large, heavy and had a turning circle of the moon. Whoever was in charge of this made them look right, but decided they were lighter and more nimble than a go-kart.

That aside the story making and acting is excellent and really builds L.A Noire, you do various different types of cases from homicide to arson. The difficulty increases as you'd expect because the crime scenes get bigger so it's not so easy to find the clues, and as they get bigger so does the amount of people you have to speak to in order to solve the case.

The atmosphere has been captured with brilliant detail from the environment of a developing city, to the cars, attire and scripting. There are some strong references to 1950s cinematography.

All in all this is an excellent game which in my eyes a few changes could have made it a masterpiece but the gameplay niggles means it doesn't enter that category in my opinion, but this has been so far a game worth reviewing and recommending; I feel that if they make a second one based somewhere else hopefully this feedback will make it into an amazing accomplishment.
  54. Jul 24, 2013
    L.A. Noire is a pretty interesting game. You play as a detective and of course you have to solve cases. This is well and understandeble designed. The cases are exciting and you will feel like a little detective. I really like that game, although it has some bugs.
  55. Jul 14, 2013
    Bought this game because it was supposed to be a great one. Turns out it's not great, but not bad either. I personally found parts of it to be tedious, boring, and slow for my tastes. But there were fun, interesting, and exciting elements to it as well.

Plot is interesting enough as it unfolds and I did want to find out what was going to happen next every time something I finished a part of a case or even a whole case itself. There is a steady progression in the overall story and it's admittedly exciting to see it all come together by the end.

Voice acting is superb, however it seems like every interrogation is a shouting match and I didn't find that believable in some instances. There's A LOT of talking in this game so the high quality voice acting is of course expected. Sounds and music fit the era and add to the atmosphere.

Content and gameplay are good. There's a lot of tailing/sneaking, car chasing, perp chasing, shoot-outs, and of course various cases to solve. Crime scene investigations are cool as you get to test out your CSI skills. Interviewing is particularly satisfying because you have to decide whether what they are saying is true, doubtful, or an outright lie and you can tell by their facial expressions (some are easier to read than others).

Graphically decent, with particularly stellar work on facial graphics and character models in general they looked very life-like. Other than that though, the LA that they've created doesn't look anything spectacular given how other games look.

I did not have any trouble running this on highest settings on my system, unlike some people apparently. 3GHz Quad Core i5, 8gb RAM, Radeon 7950 3gb.
  56. Jul 3, 2013
    Great game.Not so easy and the detective mode is cool too.Very long story.

The gameplay is also very good. Rockstar has made a very good game. The ranking system is one that i liked most
  57. Jul 1, 2013
    First, to those with performance issues, create a shortcut to the game with these switches:
    lanoire.exe -str -npd +jobs_numThreads 0

I'm sort of surprised LA Noire got made, but I'm glad it did. This game is to Rockstar what Punch Drunk Love was to Adam Sandler. It confused the heck out of people but if you kept an open mind it paid off.
  58. Jun 30, 2013
    Great game, i had a few problems with frame rate but it's easy to solve, just have to change the renderer, that depends on your DX version of your video card. The game it's unique with the interviews. Music and characters are good, graphics are not super detailed but are good too, Motionscan it's the best thing of this game, and it's a pretty interesting game overall, better than a lot ofGreat game, i had a few problems with frame rate but it's easy to solve, just have to change the renderer, that depends on your DX version of your video card. The game it's unique with the interviews. Music and characters are good, graphics are not super detailed but are good too, Motionscan it's the best thing of this game, and it's a pretty interesting game overall, better than a lot of crap games I've seen this year. Expand
  59. Jun 23, 2013
    Some of these positive reviews HAVE to be fake. While I love the idea behind L.A. Noire, the execution leaves much to be desired. Do not buy on PC unless you are patient with crappy mechanics/sloppy concept execution and the game is on megasale.

The most challenging aspect of this game is overcoming the game mechanics to enjoy the story. The 'investigation' part is less about finding clues and more about walking around designated spaces and waiting for a chime. You don't have to figure out what objects are relevant since the game does it for you. You can't go first person and you don't get a visible cursor meaning this "detective" game isn't about attention to detail or finding clues as much as it pretends to be. So if it's not about this it must be about the interrogation and using social finesse to get the truth out of people, right?

Yet, if that's the case why are interrogations are linear rather than dynamic? They are an it's A (truth) B (doubt) or C (lie) right or wrong type situation. If you get it wrong, that line of questioning is shut down. This means you can't accuse people of lying or doubt them to get them to reveal more information like feeling desperate to prove they are telling the truth. It therefore becomes formulaic and repetitive interrogating people; if you think they are telling the truth you pick truth, if you don't think they are doubt them unless you have solid evidence. You don't have any control over the tone of what your character says or any notion of what he will say when you select something (he nearly always comes off rude). It takes all the subtly out of the art of interrogation and the control of the interrogation out of the player's hands. That does leave you with trying to read body language and determine if someone is lying and that's interesting but it takes all the fun out of it when you can't purposefully choose to say things, even if untrue, to gauge their reactions.

Reason I give it a 5? There's excellent acting and the fun of driving around like a maniac GTA style but not much else. I still want to know what happens in the story. It's just one of those games I have to force myself to finish just to say I played it all the way through.
  60. Jun 22, 2013
    For people 38+ like me, that have been gaming since early 16, this game is a dream come true.
    Amazing story telling, voice action, environment and slow but interesting path with action sub-phases.
    the game is a black novel by itself, and lets you enough freedom to wander around a lovely city and progress on the story line as well. this game deserves a 10. I respect all opinions but this
    this game deserves a 10. I respect all opinions but this is a niche game for me, that excels.
    add some sweetFX to it, and the visuals are just awesome.
    The game play might be between adventure games and 3rd person action games, but the combination is just right. Get a few drinks, a pack of smokes, and be ready to deep yourself on a black novel all the way. Rep+ to Rockstar
  61. Jun 8, 2013
    Brilliant detective story with amazing characters
  62. May 13, 2013
    This game gets a 8 not a 7 or 6 because many people exaggerate totally and they don´t enjoy the atmosphere, they don´t play with controller, they don´t play the game how it should be played, so they ruin their own experience. It´s on the PC yes, but non or less the game has to be played with a controller, because you have to sit in a comfortable chair and enjoy the world. The graphics areThis game gets a 8 not a 7 or 6 because many people exaggerate totally and they don´t enjoy the atmosphere, they don´t play with controller, they don´t play the game how it should be played, so they ruin their own experience. It´s on the PC yes, but non or less the game has to be played with a controller, because you have to sit in a comfortable chair and enjoy the world. The graphics are not as beautiful as people expected. The new technology which has been used for the facial expression which is a essential gameplay factor in this game, let animations be so smooth and realistic that you think this game was touched by god! The game is mainly about being a detective solving cases so if you are more the action guy, you shouldn´t buy this game especially because all the action happens only in side quests. The side quests are emergency calls from your police station, you can answer to in your police car. Sometimes you have to stop a bank robbery and sometimes smaller things like killing some gunmen. The story is fantastic and well written and you will suck it up fast. So the game is good, it has it´s flaws in graphics and it has not enough action for most people, but everything else is just perfect. WELL, the PC port is not quite as good as the console versions. The framerate is limited to 30 frames because that gives the game a movie like feeling. I understand that. No fps drops though, its stable, but they up DX11. DX9 runs smooth, but DX11 has some technical issues for some. Just test it out. It´s recommended to play the game with a controller, but the mouse and keyboard works fine too. Despite the fact that the technical side of the game is non or less weak except for the animations which are the best ever seen, the game is really only for slow paste type guys who like a adventure with case solving elements. Go and get it, lick the sexy looking box and play more than 20 hrs of pure climax! OH before i forget it: GET A QUADCORE YOU HILLBILLY! What do you expect? A dev who never developed for PC to optimize the game on your oldass Dual Core which can´t even play Black Ops straight? you should get a console then, you poor bastard. OR maybe getting a new job. Idiots Expand
  63. Apr 27, 2013
    Like most of Rockstar's games, L.A. Noire is a horrendous port. But once you resolve the technical issues (which can be done with the help of PCGamingWiki[dot]com), the game is marvellous. It's an interesting concept pulled off very well.
    + Interesting world with believable characters
    + Interesting world with believable characters
    + Exceptional acting and face technology. It's truly incredible, really. Every detail of emotion is shown off.
    + A good pace, with generally great missions
    + Wonderful atmosphere it really feels like a movie
    - It's a pain to figure out what the "Truth, Doubt, Lie" buttons actually do
    - AI is dumb as bricks in shootouts, and in a chase, they will quite literally stop and wait for you if you're being slow
  64. Apr 27, 2013
    One of a kind game with one of a kind graphical capability that is sure to be used in future games. Great detective story with great characters, both good and annoying with great length of gameplay. Fun as hell to question suspects and see them spill their beans. I'd like to say that this is a more down to earth phoenix wright. One thing that stops the game for being perfect is the factOne of a kind game with one of a kind graphical capability that is sure to be used in future games. Great detective story with great characters, both good and annoying with great length of gameplay. Fun as hell to question suspects and see them spill their beans. I'd like to say that this is a more down to earth phoenix wright. One thing that stops the game for being perfect is the fact that it's not that varied, all you do is do missions, do side police work, collecting cars and seeing landmarks. And also the plot twist at the end of the Vice case pisses me off. That's completely unnecessary and shouldn't be in the game like at all. All it does is make stupid plot twist that makes a certain character unlikeable. Anyway, still a great game by Rockstar. Expand
  65. Apr 24, 2013
    It's hard to something positive to say about L.A. Noire. I suppose the detail in the city of LA was fantastic, which, while it was artistically impressive, didn't add much to the enjoyment of the game. I'm giving Rockstar a little credit for the effort. I appreciate what they set out to do, but I don't think it was executed competently. Firstly, the foundation of the gameplay isIt's hard to something positive to say about L.A. Noire. I suppose the detail in the city of LA was fantastic, which, while it was artistically impressive, didn't add much to the enjoyment of the game. I'm giving Rockstar a little credit for the effort. I appreciate what they set out to do, but I don't think it was executed competently. Firstly, the foundation of the gameplay is crime-solving via scrutiny of simulated facial expression and a collection of evidence. This means you are evaluating the veracity of statements based on the performances of actors (of variable talent) who are all essentially lying (since they are acting) as reinterpreted through the facial rendering engine. This technology is another failure. It looks like nothing more than low res video being played over a 3D model of a human head. All the characters looked like dead-eyed, shifty, slime-faced androids. Many were hard to distinguish. Which brings me to the characters. There was a lot of content to this game, about 18 hours for me, but it was vastly more concerned with breadth than depth. I never felt invested in any of the characters because none of them felt human. I still don't understand the motivations of the protagonists. This game could possibly have been something in another studio's hands, I still find the idea intriguing, but in the state it was released it's not worth either the investment of time or money. Expand
  66. Apr 24, 2013
    I was looking forward for this game, since it was so hyped. I've played Mafia (and Mafia 2) before and really enjoyed the atmosphere in these games. I've been forcing myself to return to this game several times now for a period of 3 weeks, but I just can't seem to enjoy it.
    There are a few reasons for this:
    There are a few reasons for this:
    The game has quite high hardware requirements. I'm playing on an iMac 27" (Intel core i7 3,4 GHz., 16 GB. RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6970M w/2GB) but the game still feels sluggish.
    But this isn't the worst of it. The gameplay is what really makes me dislike this game. The idea is good enough, but in reallity you are walking around, clicking the most obvious items for the only reason that the game will continue down the VERY linear story. The dialogs where you have to guess if people lie or tell you the truth seems random if you get right or not. And even if you get them all wrong, the game continues anyway. There is just too little for me to do that amuses me. Most of the time I just have to click to let the story move on. I'd rather see some old detective movie then.

I completely acknowledge the voice acting, animation and facial expression of characters in this game. It's very nicely done. But the game is still boring as hell.
  67. Apr 7, 2013
    Amazing game, loved it, Best detective game i've ever played and ever better, its made by Rockstar Games! This also has some nice graphics and I learned that it is not all that laggy like the GTA IV graphics engine but yes, If you want to be a detective and ask criminals lots of questions then this is your game.
  68. Apr 6, 2013
    It was an interesting game. Good graphics, story, voice acting, music score. Brings back a lot of memories when I was a little kid. Great attention to detail of that time period. The pc controls are a little bid clunky. I hated the ending but hell, I'm a sap for happy endings. Oh well.
  69. Mar 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just completed this game. At least the main "case load" including DLC. While I found the overall gameplay experience joyful at times I also found it quite tedious other times as well. Overall I rate this game a bit above mediocre.
    I must give Rockstar props. Its an original concept no-one has ever tried before. I am a fan of Film Noire and so when I learned that a game based upon the same style and philosophy was being created I was very excited. In practice, sadly, I've got to say the plot of the game often disappoints. It is frustrating in the middle of the game when you know full well your fingering innocent people for the black dahlia murders but have no real option other than to arrest innocent people for the crimes. Case completed! You locked up some innocent sap. The main plot line of the game doesn't really rise up except in newspaper clippings until you are 2/3 through the game and I found that disappointing as well. You never really see the bad guy's get the comeuppance. One of them is killed by the doctor who gets choked by his own servant later on (So you weren't involved at all) and another gets shot in the leg. Thats it. As well there is the bizarre move for you to take command of another avatar for 3 of the last 4 missions. You've been playing as Phelps for the entire game and his blank by the book manner is great if not tiring after a while but why switch to a different protagonist? Or if your going to go that route integrate it into the whole game experience. Not just the last couple of missions. Strange.

This brings me to my largest complaint of the game. Mismanagement of time allocation. How much time does it take to program a set of pipes? Some. And yet you need to "build" them to fine a piece is missing and it counts as a clue. There are some odd finesse pieces in the game that are often completely retarded. Swear to god. Only game I've ever played that required me to use an in game calculator. And guess what? Its less intuitive and harder to control than the actual calculator that comes with windows. All to unlock a clue. What sort of skill testing is that? What were they thinking?
    I could understand these points if the main body of the game was more polished but they aren't. As others have complained the driving mechanic (where you end up spending about 50% of your time) is reminiscent of one of the early GTA games. We know they have better code for a driving mechanic than that. Why? The shooting mechanic is also sub optimal. Either pretend bullets are endless or show how many you've got left. Nothing like your big gun running out mid fight only to have to go back to you handgun. Some of the "street crimes" were rewarding however I eventually began to dread them. It's like they were programmed to pop up on the farthest corner of the map at the least opportune times to stretch the game out. Additionally I liked the unlockable cars even if they all drove somewhat badly. However being unable to trigger street crimes in them meant I stopped using them and didn't go back. The main feature of the game was the "interview" mechanic. It was certainly the most hyped feature. However in practice I found it became like taking a quiz after a while. And as pointed out before sometimes the evidence for a lie made no sense whatsoever. In practice I ended up doing each interview multiple times and quitting before it saved so I could repeat it until I got the "right" answer. Not the most enjoyable experience. Especially when I had to re-search a scene before the interview. Overall though its not a bad game. It is a finished product. There were some novel elements and fun to be had. They did a good job of the noire feel while driving between clues, and at a lot of the cut scenes. It just easily could have been a better game. With a bit better direction and a smarter plot. If they had re-focused their energies on the components most used it would have been a better experience. The last mission for instance you get a flamethrower right before the end but it is so horrible to use you wish you could go back to your handgun to take out the last 6 thugs. Outside of gameplay I should comment I had major issues with the game installation for the first time in my life (And I am a quite seasoned gamer). The necessary download patch that came out after I purchases a hard copy of the game failed to install correctly preventing me from playing the game and it was a month before they released an improved patch which fixed it. Rockstar tech support is a step above useless it turns out. Lastly I'd like to point out to anyone looking to purchase this game. According to Rockstar social club 9% of the people who started this game are doing the last missions or more likely finished the game. They show a nice breakdown of which 1/5 of the game people are in. It looks like a lot of people got 1/4 to half way into the game and quit because the numbers didn't change the entire month I played
  70. Mar 8, 2013
    I grew up loving the hardboiled detective film noire types of movies so when I heard about this I was quite excited since it was right up my alley.

Sadly though the end product is nothing like it could have been. This is basically a snooze fest disguised as a game. Honestly, if it didn't have Rockstar's name on the box it wouldn't be rated highly as it is or sold as well despite the fact Rockstar did not make this game.

My main dislikes with the game are.......

1- You never really detect anything. You walk around till you get a little chime meaning you press the x button and pickup the clue. If the clue needs to be examined further the game will tell you so. Once you have the clues your partner will signal you it's time to go somewhere else. The game basically walks you through detecting everything and finding clues. It tells you when you need to hit what buttons and where.

2- You can't mess up interrogations. This was lauded as a big feature for the game. If you blow the interrogation then you just do it again. Even if you guess wrong when your judging a person's true intentions you can still win the game without ever getting one right. You can go right through the game by guessing everything wrong when its decision time while interviewing someone. The game basically won't let you make mistakes that stop the game play and there are no consequences for anything during interrogations. There is no need to study a person's facial reactions or what they say because it doesn't matter. Guess right? No advantage. Guess wrong? No punishment.

3- The facial animations while good are just a gimmick. Another big selling point for the game is just a gimmick. Again looking at people's faces during interrogation to guess if they are lying or not doesn't matter since you don't have to be right. The facial animations are nice but it doesn't matter aesthetically because their bodies still move like stiff puppets. And they still aren't lifelike because they are over exaggerated to be noticeable. I personally wish they hadn't wasted all the money on filming actors in a fancy studio with all this high tech equipment and instead used the money to hire better writers for the game and work on making it more fun instead of just being a gateway for their facial animation tech. Honestly the animations felt more like a tech demo they were hoping to get other developers to license the tech for their games.

4- The game is incredibly linear. Yes a couple times you can chose to shake down a bartender instead of checking up on a drug addict but you never really get to chose anything. The game firmly holds your hand from the start to the finish and never let's go. I felt more like a errand boy out driving from point A to point B and then from C to D.

5- The storyline while not bad isn't that great. The main storyline starting out builds and builds and builds then suddenly it just stops and comes to a half with a very paper thin plot excuse and then suddenly you thrust off in another direction with no looking back. They just go to all this trouble of building up to something and then suddenly pull the rug out and leave you unsatisfied. The ending is very, very unsatisfying as well.

6- Team bondi has been saying the game isn't finished and that's easily noticeable just playing through it. They left the game kind of shallow in order to sell more DLC to gamers and that's obvious since they have been releasing DLC since its release and have recently announced more. It's just a shame they would release a 60 dollar game partially gutted so they can sell DLC and turn it into a 100 dollar game.

7- 60% of the game is still just grand theft auto. Just like in grand theft auto you have to drive a car for hours and hours and hours while you playing doing absolutely nothing but going up and down the same boring streets as a time sink. You can take any car you want like in GTA, you'll waste hours of time driving just like GTA, when you run it's just like in GTA, when you shoot or fight it's just like GTA, in fact everything that isn't investigating or interrogating is just like GTA.

In the end this game is wasted potential. I really wish I had waited till it eventually drops to 25 bucks or less because that's all it's worth. I had a lot of fun for about 6 hours and after that I find myself playing it just to finish it since I paid so much. I was really disappointed in this game.
  71. Feb 21, 2013
    LA Noire is an excellent game. The investigative gameplay is enjoyable, as is quizzing the suspects and witnesses. The weakest parts of the game are car chases and foot chases/shootouts, but fortunately those are brief and far in between.

The story is good and the main body of the game is good. While the ending is not as good as it could be, overall, the game is still quite excellent and well worth your time (and money).

Why not a 10/10? A few reasons.

1) The ending. After spending the whole game investigating, the final level of the game involves you running around killing people with a flamethrower. I'm not even joking. While this sort of gameplay is interspersed throughout the game and isn't wonderful when it comes up, it is rare enough that it is fine. It overstays its welcome at the end of the game.

2) While the acting in the game is overall quite good, when you let suspects sit around after questioning them, some of them behave... very oddly. And not in the "oh we're obviously guilty" way, but in the "the actor is clearly trying to convey SOMETHING but it is hard to tell what" kind of way. The motions end up exaggerated, and as this is one of the things you're supposed to be using to tell whether a suspect or witness is lying or not, it is a bit of a problem the motions are so unnatural that you can't tell what they're supposed to be doing.

3) This is a minor point, but there are a few times in the story where you are presented with two suspects and you are forced to charge one or the other, but it is obvious that neither of them is actually guilty of the crime at hand there's no option NOT to charge them, which would be the correct choice. While not a big deal, it would have been nice to have the ability not to lay charges in some cases.
  72. Feb 15, 2013
    This game does some things average,some others very nicely,but it is also bad in other things.
    The PC version is just a console port,so don't expect anything better. Having said that,the facial animations on this game are very good,and I wish more games had that kind of animation quality. But while faces are a leap ahead,I can't say the same about how the rest of the bodies animate. Animation quality isn't on the same level for the whole body and that makes it look awkward sometimes. Sound and music do their job. What is interesting in this game is its story that hooks you up,as it has all the mystery you would expect from a detective's game! While the game's world feel too much like GTA, and car driving and getting around the world is exactly like it is in GTA4,this game has unique gameplay which is nice. I'd wish more games made moves towards innovating gameplay like this game does.
    The game is better played on short sessions,like a mission each time you run it. It's because each mission feels like a different episode of a tv series. Playing the game in large sessions and many missions each time won't feel the same and might get somewhat repeatitive.
    Initially this game got me frustrated because it doesn't follow a standard installation procedure.
    Might take you some extra time to figure out how to make it work,but after that you will be able to enjoy this game. The game has some unnecessary freedom. It contains a whole city for you to roam around, in a size comparable to GTA's cities. The thing is that it doesn't have that much side-missions and things you can do as in GTA games,so there is really not a reason to explore,as the city is empty,and driving around becomes boring after a while,but thankfully there is a fast travel option.
    It's a game that does detective gameplay really good,but other than that nothing ground breaking.
  73. Feb 12, 2013
    This game has the best face animations of characters you can see in a video game, thanks to a newly developed "face mimics motion capturing technology", which belongs to Rockstar Games. Period. Besides that, the story is strong, gameplay is enhanced with so much fun, graphics are mostly stunning, sounds and musics, that mirrors the NOIR theme of that era, is just amazing. Do not hesitateThis game has the best face animations of characters you can see in a video game, thanks to a newly developed "face mimics motion capturing technology", which belongs to Rockstar Games. Period. Besides that, the story is strong, gameplay is enhanced with so much fun, graphics are mostly stunning, sounds and musics, that mirrors the NOIR theme of that era, is just amazing. Do not hesitate on buying this game. The Complete Edition deserves all the praises it receives. Expand
  74. Jan 21, 2013
    How much time do developers think I should spent reading their stupid names after finishing their mediocrate product? I assume their office pets names are also included in that stupid list. They really think I should terminate program abnormaly? All right, let them get their reward - two points and no ine more.
  75. Jan 16, 2013
    I wasn't as impressed as I was interested with this game. This game barely looks anything like a real detective investigation. The interviews are ridiculous. Nine times out of ten I'll get a wrong answer in each of them, all because I believed in what the witness had to say.
  76. Jan 15, 2013
    LA Noire is a strange game, in that it is a combination of 4 action games (car chase, foot chase, fist fight, gun fight) and an adventure-y detective game that is focused around interrogations. Since all these elements are woven around the same story, it really works, at first. After about five or six cases, it loses its luster somewhat. The foot chases, gun fights, and fist fights are tooLA Noire is a strange game, in that it is a combination of 4 action games (car chase, foot chase, fist fight, gun fight) and an adventure-y detective game that is focused around interrogations. Since all these elements are woven around the same story, it really works, at first. After about five or six cases, it loses its luster somewhat. The foot chases, gun fights, and fist fights are too easy. The car chases are easy too as long as you remap your keyboard so that you are driving with two hands. The interrogations are HARD. Even if I read all your evidence carefully, and review your conversation log, and look carefully at the expressions of the suspect, I still get the answer wrong almost half the time. When you get an answer wrong, you often miss out on evidence that is necessary for later interrogations. So once you start bad, things just go downhill. The case always "solves itself" at the end no matter how bad you screw up the interrogations, and it does this in a very confusing way. It is very frustrating because you can tell you have missed out on half the story. I have replayed some of the cases using a walkthrough, and found out there were big chunks of the story that I completely missed because I botched the interrogations. I replayed a few cases hoping that I could learn to do better on the interrogations, but it hasn't helped yet. The concept of the detective part of the game is very cool, but in the end too difficult and frustrating. The action part of the game is a little too easy and a little too repetitive. The graphics are very good, the facial detail, the period music and details are great, clearly a AAA game in terms of production values. It seems like this game went straight from concept to game, without any play-testing to calibrate the gameplay to a level where it is challenging but still fun. Expand
  77. Jan 9, 2013
    Only just got this game recently all ways looked at it never bought it but couldn't not buy it on special Overall i like this game it has given me alot of game play which i look for in a game and is pretty good challenge i like decent free roam game It is a easy to play game and has alot of good quality's that would appeal to a wide range of people from investigating crime scene toOnly just got this game recently all ways looked at it never bought it but couldn't not buy it on special Overall i like this game it has given me alot of game play which i look for in a game and is pretty good challenge i like decent free roam game It is a easy to play game and has alot of good quality's that would appeal to a wide range of people from investigating crime scene to driving to shooting its all there plus get to be good guy and solve crimes rather than commit them The bad well every game now days has bad points this game is shooting psychics for me they just dont feel right Overall i will keep playing this game and probably replay it once i have completed it i think Rockstar did good job here getting into something no one else has I would really like to see this game put into modern times and made to fit in with todays crimes and investigations techniques i think that would take off because old style will not appeal to all Expand
  78. Dec 26, 2012
    With a beautifully designed 1940's, L.A. Noire is a remarkable game that makes you entirely feel like reading a detective novel. Plus, it offers good graphics, outstanding character emotions, mystery and adventure.
  79. Dec 13, 2012
    This game has some interesting concepts, but largely fails in the execution of them: the shootout action sequences are clunky and boring, driving the streets is tedious and the vehicles handle poorly, and collecting clues for your cases is a rather haphazard affair. Then there's the interrogation segments, which regularly involve your character verbally abusing a suspect when you chose toThis game has some interesting concepts, but largely fails in the execution of them: the shootout action sequences are clunky and boring, driving the streets is tedious and the vehicles handle poorly, and collecting clues for your cases is a rather haphazard affair. Then there's the interrogation segments, which regularly involve your character verbally abusing a suspect when you chose to "doubt" them, followed by you apologizing and backtracking. The whole interrogation system is just too illogical and unpredictable: you have no idea what your character will actually say, given any particular option, and backing up your accusations relies on having previously discovered particular clues--catching them in a lie or making reasonable deductions doesn't seem to count for much. One thing the game does do well is providing a detailed and convincing environment of 1940's LA, and the facial graphics are pretty advanced. But these aren't enough to make LA Noire more than a mediocre game in my opinion. Expand
  80. Dec 4, 2012
    I bought this game on steam during the black friday week for only 5 bucks. For the price paid, it was worth every penny. All in all, the story is great, the characters are enjoyable, the ending could have been definitely better. With the exception of shooting and driving, the controls are often awkward, remembering it is a console port. The graphics are great. The city is big, but theI bought this game on steam during the black friday week for only 5 bucks. For the price paid, it was worth every penny. All in all, the story is great, the characters are enjoyable, the ending could have been definitely better. With the exception of shooting and driving, the controls are often awkward, remembering it is a console port. The graphics are great. The city is big, but the interaction with it is limited to what pertains to the cases you are working on. The investigation is good, the questioning and intuition system is a great addition. For most people, it is a one play through game. For completionists, they will probably have a second play through. With the lack of alternate endings, I doubt I will play it over again. Expand
  81. Dec 4, 2012
    Nice game.Rockstar haven't disappointed me yet,i was shocked by the awesome idea and the product.It takes me to the 1940s L.A. ,unlike GTA i always act as a criminal i finally can be a police this day.And the kinds of clues and the system of investigate and the EXP system ,all of all can be called nice,although its not a perfect game,i still give it a 10 score.10 score doesn't mean perfect,right?
  82. Dec 2, 2012
    I cannot believe how immersive this game is. The compelling stories, the life-like characters, and the intricate period details, all add up to one of my favorite game experiences this year. Minus a point for some technical glitches and awkward combat controls.
  83. Nov 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game goes into my favourite list. The game may have some technical issues, but the game itself it is just amazing. They have made an real life effect into the game, and in the game it is much things that is like real life detective cases. I think Rockstar Games and Team Bondi did make this game really look awesome. This game may not be loved by everyone, but I like it as an fan of murder/detective games.
    I give this game a 10/10. In case you like detective/murder games then I highly recommend you to buy this one.
  84. Sep 17, 2012
    Actually this game could have been done better. Controls are pain the ass, especially in fight or other sequences. You can skip them, sometimes it's the only way to move forward. City is huge but kinda empty. However very good music and sounds are remainding noir classics. Lets just say this game is decent console port but nothing more.
  85. Sep 14, 2012
    The story was enjoyable however I felt the gameplay became too repetitive and slow. The city was also too big and boring to drive around. The game for me only got good towards the end.
  86. Aug 13, 2012
    If you ever wanted to be a detective, interrogate people and find clues, then play L.A. Noire. A great detective game with bunch of cases, interesting and groovy story. You don
  87. Aug 5, 2012
    Pros: The storyline is good.
    Cons: The game is REALLY boring. I played it for 23 hours and I can't believe I'm not in the middle of the storyline.
    This game will take forever to finish!!!!!!!
  88. Jul 29, 2012
    Not worth your time or money, it's just another **** console port released by Rockstar. Not only is the main character completely unlikeable, the game is also inconsistent in the way it handles "evidence". Good job, Rockstar! Then we have the ridiculous serial killer planting evidence all over the city and in peoples homes setting other people up for crimes they did not do. REALLY,Not worth your time or money, it's just another **** console port released by Rockstar. Not only is the main character completely unlikeable, the game is also inconsistent in the way it handles "evidence". Good job, Rockstar! Then we have the ridiculous serial killer planting evidence all over the city and in peoples homes setting other people up for crimes they did not do. REALLY, ROCKSTAR?! REALLY?!!??! What finally ruined it for me was the INDIANA JONES-STYLE **** that you have to do later in the game. What the **** were they thinking?! Chandelier-swinging in a game like L.A. Noire?! **** you, Rockstar! **** you sideways in the ass with a two-by-four! ZERO POINTS to you Rockstar for ****ing this game up so badly! Expand
  89. Jul 23, 2012
    When I first started playing this game I thought, "How did I go this long without finding this gem?" But as I continued to play, I realized that the scenarios were basically all the same, just different suspects/crimes, etc mixed in. It follows a very linear style as it is, what I consider to be, "mission driven." With such a large city, I was shocked that you can only explore it whileWhen I first started playing this game I thought, "How did I go this long without finding this gem?" But as I continued to play, I realized that the scenarios were basically all the same, just different suspects/crimes, etc mixed in. It follows a very linear style as it is, what I consider to be, "mission driven." With such a large city, I was shocked that you can only explore it while on a mission/scenario. With the "random" events happening within a scenario which you can choose to do, or skip, it's up to you. It's not as free roaming like GTA. Hopefully a next version will make it a free flowing and working city, that's more open, with the story elements tied in. Overall, a good game, especially if you got it during Steam's Summer sale at $4.99. Expand
  90. Jul 22, 2012
    Rockstar once again proven to me that it is probably the most innovating company. The game is- New. I have never played another game like this. I don't say its the best game I've played but its really nice to play something so different from other games. The action in this game (gun fights, car chases, melee fights, etc...) are unrelevant near the main feature which is the investigations,Rockstar once again proven to me that it is probably the most innovating company. The game is- New. I have never played another game like this. I don't say its the best game I've played but its really nice to play something so different from other games. The action in this game (gun fights, car chases, melee fights, etc...) are unrelevant near the main feature which is the investigations, and specificly the questioning- where you have to decide by observing body language if the suspect telling the truth or not, and if not, whether or no you have proof for it. All possible investigations choises are well played by the actors, not just by sound but also by body language which is captured in the game using new technology. There are problems- sometimes your proof isn't what the game intended in which case u lose the question. The game is still easy and linear, so don't expect too much challange regardless, but it is a nice expirience.
    Something wierd about this is game is that it included a very big and detailed map but since I always let my partner drive I ended the game not knowing the map AT ALL. I usually like exploring and I knew locations in previous GTA titles better than I knew my own city, but in this game I can;t tell you where the police office is, and since its all about investigations the game has no replay value.
    I would estimate the worth of this game in about 7.5-12.5$
  91. Jul 19, 2012
    This game is basically must get for all fans of L.A. Confidential movie. L.A. Noire brings good combination of adventure and GTA games together in glittering shine of post war era. Graphic is nice, sounds are well handled. For some downside might be 30fps cap. The game is fairly linear but i don't think it would help if you could try solving 3-4 cases at once. It would get fairly complex.This game is basically must get for all fans of L.A. Confidential movie. L.A. Noire brings good combination of adventure and GTA games together in glittering shine of post war era. Graphic is nice, sounds are well handled. For some downside might be 30fps cap. The game is fairly linear but i don't think it would help if you could try solving 3-4 cases at once. It would get fairly complex. Interrogations are sometimes more of guessing than really figuring out whether that person is lying to you or not. Over all this game is pretty solid. Expand
  92. Jul 19, 2012
    Just purchased this for 5 bux during the Steam summer sale. It's a great game for the most part. But like others have said, this is a shoddy PC port. Even with the fixes that Rockstar has put forth for PC players, the game still runs slowly. It looks good, but it would hurt less if the game looked stunning and ran this poorly. I mean, even Crysis runs better and that's still the graphicalJust purchased this for 5 bux during the Steam summer sale. It's a great game for the most part. But like others have said, this is a shoddy PC port. Even with the fixes that Rockstar has put forth for PC players, the game still runs slowly. It looks good, but it would hurt less if the game looked stunning and ran this poorly. I mean, even Crysis runs better and that's still the graphical high-mark of the last five years. This game doesn't come close to that graphical fidelity and runs much worse. As far as the gameplay goes, I'm having a pretty good time solving cases and I enjoy the facial expressions. It's just hard to swallow yet another flawed Rockstar PC port after GTAIV's failure. Expand
  93. Jul 19, 2012
    The game requires much more computer power than its graphics call for; the game was just badly ported to the PC with little thought about performance. Games like Just Cause 2 have better graphics, more textures and more amazing visuals with half that lag. What helped my performance was to run the game in single processor mode; for some reason, it ran faster since then. Now: about the gameThe game requires much more computer power than its graphics call for; the game was just badly ported to the PC with little thought about performance. Games like Just Cause 2 have better graphics, more textures and more amazing visuals with half that lag. What helped my performance was to run the game in single processor mode; for some reason, it ran faster since then. Now: about the game itself. It's cinematically a masterpiece, it feels like you're watching real actors - which you are! The story is the only reason to play this game, however, as the gameplay is just an excuse for progressing through the story and is nothing amazing. The funnest part of the gameplay is to watch the interviewed characters and decide if they are lying or not by their facial expressions, and to select the evidence that counters their claims. Although the game is not nearly challenging enough, or even challenging for a detective game, I found it satisfying to detect when the subjects were lying for the sheer satisfaction of being right. Otherwise, there is no real penalty apart from lengthened missions. I'd say this game is on par with games like bioshock, so I'm rating it a 7, for its unmatched acting, great story and good integration of detective work, however with some issues like being a laggy PC port, lacking challenge and having a boring gameplay if you strip away the story elements. Expand
  94. Jul 13, 2012
    Its a very interesting game, you have 21 cases and every case is interesting in his own way, the city is very big and you have over 50 different cars to drive. But from my point of view its sometimes hard to follow the cases especially if they are talking about cases that you solved some time ago. Another big minus for me is the steering of the car. It is very hard to control a car withIts a very interesting game, you have 21 cases and every case is interesting in his own way, the city is very big and you have over 50 different cars to drive. But from my point of view its sometimes hard to follow the cases especially if they are talking about cases that you solved some time ago. Another big minus for me is the steering of the car. It is very hard to control a car with the W A S D keys at high speed with the keyboard. The firefights are ok but not very spectacular. Overall a very interesting and good game. Expand
  95. Jul 9, 2012
    An instant classic, trades in a linear play style for excellent presentation and acting, superb story and cinematic gameplay. Some users have reported technical difficulties getting this game to run even on high-end systems but mine was fine (at the time I used AMD Phenom X4 9750, 4GB RAM, Radeon Sapphire HD 6850 running at 1440x900).
  96. Jul 8, 2012
    The game lured me in with a 1940s seetting, and then delivered one of the better written stories, i've experienced, in a beautiful and detailed city. The length of the game is impressing, and most cases have an own story to tell, so the game won't feel all the same. The "motion capture" technique used to recreate the faces of actors is just amazing, and you can actually recognize theThe game lured me in with a 1940s seetting, and then delivered one of the better written stories, i've experienced, in a beautiful and detailed city. The length of the game is impressing, and most cases have an own story to tell, so the game won't feel all the same. The "motion capture" technique used to recreate the faces of actors is just amazing, and you can actually recognize the actors and see real faces, rather then a animated version. A bonus is that the DLC that comes with this version of the game is actually weaved in with the main storyline, rather than having some random cases with no connection to the game afterwards. Loved it! Try it! Expand
  97. Jul 4, 2012
    LA Noire is a masterpiece! if you love deduction, the 40's atmosphere and some outstanding actors performance, you really got to play this one! I'm 60% at the time of reviewing, and there is almost no downside to this game! As of today (July2012) , the game is overall good optimized! (Intel Q9550, GTX560Ti, 4GB DDR2...) fast loading, stable 30 fps, all on max, really decent graphics!LA Noire is a masterpiece! if you love deduction, the 40's atmosphere and some outstanding actors performance, you really got to play this one! I'm 60% at the time of reviewing, and there is almost no downside to this game! As of today (July2012) , the game is overall good optimized! (Intel Q9550, GTX560Ti, 4GB DDR2...) fast loading, stable 30 fps, all on max, really decent graphics!

i don't tend review games on metacritic, i made for this one an exception, cause it is really a good one!
  98. Jul 2, 2012
    To start with, I can honestly say I've never had a love for a video game like I've had for L.A. Noire. The graphics are not the greatest ever seen, detail in objects lacks; how ever during interrogations, facial expressions are very well drawn. I don't full-on action games, I like ones that have a strong story line to aid it; L.A. Noire's story is the best graphical story I've comeTo start with, I can honestly say I've never had a love for a video game like I've had for L.A. Noire. The graphics are not the greatest ever seen, detail in objects lacks; how ever during interrogations, facial expressions are very well drawn. I don't full-on action games, I like ones that have a strong story line to aid it; L.A. Noire's story is the best graphical story I've come across so far. The characters are very well described throughout the story and scenes in the game make you think. There is no shortage of surprises and suspense is not scarce. If you're one to enjoy a mysterious but thrilling action game (with some very nice jazz in the background), then L.A. Noire is without competition. Expand
  99. Jun 29, 2012
    This game is a diamond in the rough. The graphics look dated, although all the face related things are quite good. The game play is decent but not amazing. The place where this game really shines is the story. The story is fantastic and the characters are all extremely well done. Would recommend this game to anyone who is patient enough to see through it's flaws.
  100. May 28, 2012
    This game is rushed, and could had been optimized better. The driving in this game is very unrealistic. Its EXTREMELY linear, there is no freedom in this game what so ever, its just mission after mission and I've played up to detective mode and a few missions after-wards. However the facial expressions in this game are amazing and are really well done and are great for asking questions toThis game is rushed, and could had been optimized better. The driving in this game is very unrealistic. Its EXTREMELY linear, there is no freedom in this game what so ever, its just mission after mission and I've played up to detective mode and a few missions after-wards. However the facial expressions in this game are amazing and are really well done and are great for asking questions to see if they're lying or not. However it doesn't really show if they're lying enough to make a clear suggestion right. Expand
  101. Xon
    Nov 20, 2011
    I like games which are interactive novels or movies. L.A. Noire neatly meets this criteria and brilliantly recreates a colourful period of L.A.'s history. I have never seen a game populated by believable characters who inspire compassion in the player. Nor have I seen real faces with real emotions, from the slight twitch of nervousness to red-faced, bulging eyes of fear.

I didn't pay this

I didn't pay this game for its challenges or playablity. I want to be immersed in a world and interact with the environment. I want a riveting story that rings true.

L.A. Noire delivers this and then some. I loved every second of this hard-boiled slice of life. In later years this game will definitely be looked back on as one of the most ground-breaking games of all time. It is the first game that I felt emotionally involved. And it was a riveting experience.

1. Feb 29, 2012
    A unique adventure game that borrows many features from mystery and action games, incorporating them seamlessly in the narrative flow, thus creating a truly special game that not everyone will enjoy. And that's because it has its own character, defying contemporary 'fast food' games that are churned out today and because it's reminiscent of endeavors made in another era, where immersion of an ultimate single-player experience was the first and last goal of their creators.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012
    Ingenious game merges a classic adventure with sandbox action titles, resourcefully. Playability is not always perfect but overall impression is stunning. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Games Master UK