8.5

1. Aug 24, 2010
    All I can say, is that this game is a **** awesome sequel to Left 4 Dead, ticked all my boxes, nothing negative comes to mind. Awesome! The gameplay is awesome in multiplayer, had tones of fun, the new infected are fun to kill and are fun to play as! Very very verry good game :D
  2. Aug 23, 2010
    Left 4 Dead 2 is a great game that is probably the best FPS that i've played in a long time. I recoend this game to everybody. Its pure Great. This game has new levels, zombies, weapons, and chracters. anybody who likes First person shooters should get this game.
  3. Oct 17, 2010
    People, you can't downgrade a game meant to be coop because the Single Player is lousy. It's also not clear if you should be rating L4D2 relative to L4D, since that rating wouldn't matter to someone who doesn't have either. Rate L4D2 on its own merits, for how it's meant to be played, and if you do that, the game is practically flawless.
  4. Oct 6, 2010
    An amazing sequel. While many were worried that the quality of the game since there was such a short time period between this and the original game but I can safely say that Left 4 Dead 2 is amazing! The game is quite unmatched by any other zombie themed game. The addition of mellee weapons and new guns really added to the experience. With "Uncommon Infected" and new Special Infected added, the campaigns could never be more fun. The enw characters are colorful, interesting, and funny yet still insanely realistic. This game is gleaming with Valve's polish and it shows, it really does. Expand
  5. Dec 26, 2010
    An overall very good game and great co-op experience with beautiful graphics. I only gave it a 9 because the characters are not as original as in L4D1, the maps designs are not as charming (although they're better in gameplay and many other ways) and the atmosphere is more like a mass-killing zombie game than a survival one. I was also deceived as in the first one that they didn't design the menu like a movie. Expand
  6. Jan 30, 2011
    I always have a good time on this game with my buddies, both in this and in Left 4 Dead. With custom content you'll never get bored. You can also make your own maps and skins for it if you take the time to learn. Great game, but make sure you have some friends to enjoy it with, and some free time to get good at the game!
  7. Aug 20, 2013
    Left 4 Dead 2, this game is just awesome, you can even make a model and put it into game and play it with that add-on, just awesome. I really enjoy this game!
  8. Jan 15, 2013
    Eerily similar to L4D, this game does not deserve to be called a "sequel". A fraction of the updates in TF2 could have created this game from it's predecessor L4D. Regardless, it is rather enjoyable and scary. There is nothing like the feeling you get when a boomer pops out from a corner and screws up your vision. Multiplayer is a veteran's game, so you better know what you're doing before joining ( a lot of people are very rude to noobs, which is honestly the worst part of this game, so if you can get past that you're golden). I bought this on sale for $5, and would have gladly paid $20 for it. The biggest problem with the multiplayer is that gameplay ends up being one-sided. There are 2 teams, and players enjoy stacking a lot. You'll often find yourself with utter noobs or else with extreme experts, in which case the game becomes anti-competitive. You can simply quit when this happens and join a fairer game, so I would highly recommend this 9/10. Expand
  9. Sep 30, 2011
    I'm coming up to playing 300 hours on this game. This game would have to be my favorite game. The only bad thing I can say about this game isn't actually about the game itself but the ****heads who play it online. Other than that I love this game and play it almost daily.
  10. May 15, 2012
    This is the BEST GAME I EVER PLAYED. Soon i will have 3000 hours on this game, playing it since the Beta in 2008. Addictive, Fun, Competitive, Fast, Perfect. The MUST-HAVE Competitive FPS !
  11. May 22, 2012
    Simply a fun game to play. What makes it fun is the way you can play the single player mode over and over again, stand back to back with your friends fighting zombies, BE zombies and the graphics are good!
  12. Sep 9, 2010
    This is is trully amazing than L4D. There are lotta improvements ,gameplay, and a bit storylines too.... The graphics are nice too....but i think the Valve company is too rushed about this game bcoz this game release after 1 year making a L4D...... The multiplayers is great but lag can cause the people to go annoyed....like the incoming attack. Bugs and glitches are not much since the updates were released. Expand
  13. Oct 11, 2010
    Do not underestimate versus fun you can get from this game. Do not try to play single player. Get out there, find a lobby and aid other survivors against endless horde of zombies. Once you get the point, you can't let it go. Absolutely wonderful on many levels.
  14. Mar 8, 2011
    Decent game, although they didn't change that much from the original L4D i still enjoyed it. The promised revamped AI director wasn't as amazing. The voice acting(especially rochelle) hasn't been as good. The new alarm events, new infected, and new gamemode (including mutation) are pretty creative and fun though. Although campaign can get too easy and boring over time, i feel the strength of this game lies in its multiplayer. It is immensely fun to play with friends, whether you are dominating in pubs or are playing against challenging opponents. There are learning curves and strategies to play both the infected and survivor, and valve designed it so it is easy to pick up for beginners, while maintaining a high skill ceiling for advance players to hone their tricks. Once again Valve never disappoints. Expand
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    Most negative ratings seemed to have come after this game initial release. I can understand where people are coming from in being die hard L4D1 fans previously. However, i started with L4D2 first over a year ago, and it is the BEST online game i have played to date. I bought L4D2 about 6 months ago and while it still have that awesome L4D gameplay, it was just nowhere near as polished as 2 for me. I like in 2 how there is comedy and interesting levels, where 1 seems to have focused more on the horror effect, where there is a dark and gloomy atmosphere. To be honest, i don't see how the atmosphere really makes the game better or worse.

Left 4 Dead 2 has a huge replay value. You can go on and on and constantly learn new things. I personally play all game types, but usually prefer versus. This is one of those games where it will constantly evolve into a better game. The online community is still very strong (even in 1). It is definitely hard to start off when you don't know maps etc. My suggestion is to read/watch some strategy guides or videos.
  16. Apr 21, 2011
    It's not as spooky or atmospheric or creative as the first game, but the gameplay is improved, the graphics are improved, and the versus mode is not only playable, but is also the most fun I've had in a multiplayer zombie game since the craziest nights of Zombie Master.
  17. May 21, 2011
    This is one of the best game ever. Plenty of fun with friends and a very enjoyable versus mode. The coop system is the best ever seen in the games history. The animations are incredibly fluid, some of the best I've seen so far in a game. The dialogues are great, the characters say a lot of different things and are never annoying or ripetitive. Definitely a masterpiece!
  18. Sep 28, 2011
    This is a superb co-op game still being played now almost 3 years after its release. Its a game where you only get out of it what you put into it. Players are expected to help each other, in an environment where anyone can just into your game and leave as easily you have to be expecting the odd pain. The variation in the kind of teams you can find yourself fighting with adds a lot to this games re-playability.
    The game has been consistently supported with patching, new official maps, new play modes. There are tonnes of servers still providing loads of free online multiplay. On top of that you get a game which all other co-op zombie shooters are compared against as it still is the best one one the market hands down. The game has co-op campaign, versus, survival (with leaderboard), single-play and scavenge modes. You will make new friends playing this game, and there are some very good people playing this game now-a-days with many of the turkeys having gotten bored of cheating and pk'ing.
  19. Nov 8, 2011
    an FPS game that is brilliant! the gameplay is awsome for a fps, the guns are awsome but lack a little variety. The only reason to really buy this game is to play online, single player id give it a 6, multiplayer online is a for sure 10. The replayability in this game is great, youll notice yourself playing it after you get bored at first from time to time and casually play it here and there. great game online, well worth the buy. Expand
  20. May 13, 2012
    Overall one of the best games ever made, and pretty much evolved the zombie genre to a point towards even making Resident Evil run for its money when it comes down to zombie genre games. Left 4 Dead 2 will leave you with excitement and suspense which you will more than likely be talking about for a long time, along with that the fact its a Steam game and from valve, expect it to have alot of PC content exclusives such as Achievements, constant upgrades and unofficial mods. To make it better, Left 4 Dead 1 comes packed with this game as well when you purchase it! Expand
  21. May 7, 2012
    A great game.The graphics are nice, the campaigns awesome and the new infected are really nice to play with in versus mode! The game modes are interesting and challenging, requires intelligence to play as Infected to hit-and-run.The price isn't very high (13.99 euro here) and it is totally worth it!
  22. May 9, 2012
    Left 4 Dead 2 is bloody, fun and really successful. Not only multipalyer is fun, even the single player is fun. It doesn't want hard specs and It's amazing. The only bad thing there is that It doesn't have checkpoint in single player. Overall, it is amazing! (9.1)
  23. May 21, 2012
    L4D2 was the first L4D I've played and I like it very much. I give out 10 of 10 points because the game does what a game should to do: Fun.
    I play the whole time VS and sure, sometimes you've got problems with flamers and griefers, but sometimes you've got also good teams and a lot of fun. One of the best MP-FPS I've played.
  24. Apr 23, 2013
    The fun and joy of completing the game on expert draws you in; the Versus mode ensures you keep coming back.
    The variety because of the different maps, the different unknown combinations of Special Infected you're facing and the alternation between Survivors and Infected, makes the Versus mode irresistible.
    This is definitely one of my favorite games and a keeper.
  25. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is freaking amazing. Having not played the first game, I feel I missed out on something but I'll probably pick it up one of these days. As for L4D2, I picked it up on a Steam Summer Sale a few years back and it's become one of my most played Steam titles and one of my favorite games ever, and that's saying a lot since I've played a LOT of games in my life. The best part is, if you don't like something about the game, you can probably improve it or at least add to it with the Steam Workshop, including mods that make your CPU allies more useful, and entire new campaigns to run through with friends. I'd have given this game a lower score if I were to account for the awful, rude, and constantly-griefing PvP community. It's League of Legends bad. If you find decent people to play with, however, or you just like going solo, this is the best zombie shooter ever made. Expand
  26. Aug 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Left 4 Dead 2 provides a unique co-op experience set during a zombie outbreak. Sequel to the hit 2008 game, the gameplay features the same A to B strategy from the original, but improves off it. The AI director, capable of randomising each level to tailor each player's experience and change the pace of the game, has been improved with new features, such as the ability to randomise the layouts of certain levels, or spawn different types of weapons throughout the map.

With a cast of new characters; Coach, Rochelle, Nick and Ellis, the survivors make it their mission to stick together and make it through the state of Georgia and into Louisiana, where they will be rescued in New Orleans. The game originally featured 5 campaigns, but Valve have since added extra levels and even ported the ones from Left 4 Dead. Other new gameplay features include new Special Infected, such as the Jockey, that will hop onto survivors' heads and carry them away into whatever fate they see fit, and the Charger, a huge ram that will pound into the survivors and deal a lot of damage. To counter this added difficulty, the survivor's get new items to use such as incendiary and explosive ammunition, and melee weapons.

The game also features new modes, such as Scavenge and Realism, adding extra hours of fun. Versus is still fun as ever with the new additions. The custom content in this game also adds to the fun factor, with campaigns such as Dead Before Dawn and Suicide Blitz 2 show how creative the community is. All in all, Left 4 Dead 2 is successful in improving several things that didn't work too well in the original. If you're looking to buddy up with some friends and survive the oncoming hordes, then this is the game for you.
  27. Oct 8, 2012
    just like the first game it was a huge sucsess and an enjoable game, story was actually interesting , and made me connect to the characters, the graphics were pretty good as well, and new weapons and the option for melee made killing zombies a whole new level of fun, and even the small jokes every now and than are great! people thought it might be a bad idea to make another l4d but they were wrong, ohh they were so wrong! Expand
  28. Jan 7, 2013
    This is a great game,all the melee weapons are very functional and fun to use,new better maps,only bad thing about this game are newbies that can sometimes completely ruin the game for you.
  29. Jun 20, 2013
    In reality, the game as it is now as of June 2013, is much better than it was as release, and is almost an entirely different beast. Steam Workshop support, the entirety of the first game's campaigns released as FREE DLC on the PC, nearly unlimited room for customization, a limitless pile of new campaigns to be played, new weapons, characters, skins, survival maps, even visual effects all are available......and entirely optional. The game is better balanced now than it was on release of either L4D1 or 2.

In short, Left 4 Dead 1 is awesome, Left 4 Dead 2 has a LOT more options and features for fans of the original. The argument that the first game was somehow better than the second is now baseless. For a $60 price tag, this game would still be a LOT of bang for your buck, but the game is normally priced at a measly $20, and frequently drops down to $5. Not much room for complaining here.
  30. Sep 1, 2013
    The best co-op and zombie game ever the graphics are decent and the gameplay is great it is built for the PC as well the DLC is great bu the mods and free campaigns are so good and the Steam Workshop items really make it your own game
  31. Jun 26, 2013
    When you can reach 1300+ and still play a game fairly regularly you know its something special.
    L4D2 is for me the perfect multiplayer experience you NEED your team mates to survive/kill survivors which really adds emphasis to communication and playing as a team which is lacking in other multiplayer games.
    What keeps game play fresh is the different variety of game modes and even some
    community mods which are easily accessible due to the steam workshop. L4D2 is best experienced with some friends although it is advised for new players to play through the campaigns first before venturing into competitive games like versus or scavange.
    As mentioned earlier there are some great mods for this game including Helms deep a survival map straight for Lord of the Rings, there are also tweeks for the AI and reskins for characters.
    The graphics arent going to amaze you but nor will they repel you the source engine has aged well and this game shouldn't be to taxing for any operating system.

All in all get this game!
  32. Oct 1, 2013
    Left 4 Dead 2 brings everything great from the first one and adds more to it. With 4 new characters (who i dislike more than the original 4), new levels, and new special infected. To add to this, they also included the 4 original maps, plus the original characters to play as. The special infected AI is a lot better in this game, and with the addition of more special infected, make the difficulty of this game higher, which is very nice. Obviously like the first one, this game should be played online, not alone, as the AI stupidity still seems to be relevant. What sends this game so far above the first, is the addition of the Steam Workshop. There are so many addons you can put into the game to have fun and so many maps you can download. This is easily the best multiplayer game I have ever played. Expand
  33. Oct 9, 2013
    Amazing game, great community and many modifications that can completely change your game style from a new skin to a completely new campaign. This game is great to play with a friend because well your teaming up to kill zombies! Cooperation is a huge thing in this game you run off to far ahead you die you don't talk to your teammates about strategies you die, you don't share supplies with your teammates they die which means you have a better chance of being killed in the long run every second counts in the game and I think its a perfect combination of a horror/survival game to a cooperation game Expand
  34. Nov 18, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2) (If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is better than the visuals, review this section as if the visuals didn’t matter)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (2/2)

Wildcard (+1)

35. Dec 30, 2013
    joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya joya Expand
  36. Dec 10, 2011
    Even though this game doesn't really add enough amount of stuff to be made a sequel, it's still very good game. The gameplay is great, versus mode is increadibly fun and unlike Xbox 360 version, this version isin't killed by horrible community. I recommend to buy this game, if you are into multiplayer games and you understand what teamwork really means in team based games.
  37. Aug 18, 2010
    Incredibly fun multi-player. Unfortunately, playing solo is not very fun. As for being the sequel to Left 4 Dead, it does not feel like valve changed much. It's nice to have more range on the weapons, and adding melee was a fantastic idea. If you've already played the original Left 4 Dead, I give it a 6. If you haven't, 10. Left 4 Dead 2 makes the original Left 4 Dead look like a beta, unfortunately, with this feeling comes the feeling like Left 4 Dead 2 really could have used much more time to add more content. If you have already played Left 4 Dead then don't expect much difference, just a few new weapons for each class (Assault Rifle, Shotgun, Hunting Rifle) and melee weapons (the highlight of this sequel) and two new special infected, the jockey and spitter. If you are looking for a great online multi-player game and have not bought the original, then get this. It is an amazing game if you want multi-player. If you already have the original Left 4 Dead, I'd say buy something else, unless you really really really want an upgraded version of the first game. I, on the other hand, had an excuse to buy the second. I have the original for the 360. I finally got a computer more than capable of playing recent/new games so I got it for the PC, also I'm going to college and I don't want to bring my 360 along/it wouldn't fit.

TL;DR If you have played Left 4 Dead: 6
    If not: 10
    Overall: 9

Felt like less like a sequel and more like a big patch update to the original Left 4 Dead. An amazing game if you haven't. Also, don't expect much story, mostly just tons and tons of multi-player fun.
  38. Apr 15, 2011
    I have 236 hours on it. The base maps alone are tons of fun but the modding community adds even more to it. And thanks to the modding community some servers have 8 on 8 versus which is effectively D-day. It's just awesome. This is not just an expansion pack. It's not just DLC this is a full game.
  39. May 28, 2014
    Ahh remember when valve still made games? Loved this game and series. Probably one of the better multiplayer experiences I've had, when you have a good and functional team on either side it can be such a rush. Really needed intelligent ranking team pairing though.

The modded servers are absolutely stupid 90 percent of the time but I made an effort to get banned from them all.
  40. Oct 25, 2010
    game Left 4 dead 2 funny oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  41. Oct 28, 2010
    I was a very big fan of L4D, and was excited for L4D2 to come out. It kinda sucks that they released it only a year after the original, but it has enough content to make it worth it. The new stuff keeps things pretty interesting. With the price now hovering around $19.99 (its on a Halloween sale for $9.99) its a great buy!
  42. Mar 13, 2011
    This game is fantastic. One of my top five of all time... co-op is fun and engaging if you get a good team together, and the mod community is top notch.
  43. Nov 7, 2010
    I never played the original L4D and I must confess having now played quite a bit of L4D2 I dont know why ? Left 4 Dead 2 is an excellent game, zombies + loads of weapons + insane ammounts of gore + multiplayer online chaos = LOADS OF FUN !

Buy it, you will not be dissapointed (unless you get the censored version which will dissapoint for obvious reasons).
  44. Dec 11, 2010
    Valve may have released the sequel too soon, but their promise is still kept, they continue to support both versions of the game, Left 4 Dead 2 carries the same feeling Left 4 Dead 1 brought but with a twist, new weapons, items, maps, and zombies to come across. some engine enhancements. All I'm going to say is, this is worth it! you will have some good times playing with friends, and the new AI Director 2.0 just seals the deal. Expand
  45. Nov 26, 2010
    k whoever is being a loser saying l4d and l4d2 is a bad game and stuff, stop this game is awesome.and jay u know both l4d's deserve atleast a five for you but with the good graphics and sound effects im giving this game a 10.
  46. Nov 29, 2010
    "Attaching laser sights to your weapon makes it more accurate." Yeah right. It actually does, and also attaching laser sights to your weapon certainly makes it look cool. XD Teamwork is also needed for this game so all the haters technically have NO sense of teamwork and therefore they think the game sucks, have you heard the F**K You spoof on youtube by DeStorm? It is for you losers/haters =) My critic would be that game is VERY EPIC, a lot of people in Steam and Garena thought so too =) And those haters who writes long critics are, in my opinion, the biggest losers and rage quitters. Since they have so much time to write these things. And also, those who says melee weapon sucks? I completed a expert campaign using only melee and NO CHEATS =) Peace to all =D Expand
  47. Nov 30, 2010
    People say that this is a poor attempt at sequel but I have to disagree. Its done very nicely and the online mode runs very smoothly. The AI is very intelligent and honestly smarter than most players online. The difficulty levels are true to there name and are actually hard.
  48. Ed1
    Dec 12, 2010
    Its clear that the developers really paid attention to this game. The game play is perfect and the graphics are very good. The additions of weapon types, extra special infected and melee weapons makes this a fine sequel to part 1.
  49. Apr 27, 2013
    Left 4 Dead 2 is as good as a sequel can get. It advances every aspect of its prequel. The combat is smoother, the AI is better and each new campaign finale delivers incredibly chaotic and fun gameplay. Left 4 Dead 2 introduces new special infected, such as the “Spitter”, which offers new challenging gameplay moments. The regular infected zombies have better animations and the special infected from the prequel are modified with different appearances and behaviors. There's many new cool weapons introduced in Left 4 Dead 2, including grenade launchers and melee weapons. If you liked the first one, then this is a no-brainer. Expand
  50. Dec 19, 2010
    Milujete zombie? Radi je strilite a sekate na kousky? Chcete to delat spolecne s Vasimi prateli? Potom je to jasna koupe. Pokud nemate moznost sitového hrani je zde i singleplayer, ktery Vam ale nenabidne takove zazitky, protoze vasi partaci jsou rizení umelou inteligenci, ktera je sice na dobre urovni, ale zivy hrac je zivy hrac.
  51. Dec 19, 2010
    This is one the the most amazing game i have ever played
    Nothing negative comes to mind.
    This gameplay is f****** awesome in solo and multiplayer

I LOVE THAT GAME
  52. Dec 27, 2010
    Simply one of the best and most original games I have played in years and years. Hands down. And I'm a tough reviewer. If you have any doubt, try it. You won't regret it.

Redefines co-op gameplay and has enough play options to keep you entertained for months.
  53. Dec 30, 2010
    Great game and I think this game is better then the first one, I love new infected as well as new weapons and new survivors! I would suggest this to anyone looking to have a fun and easy time playing a game!
  54. Mar 26, 2012
    Very addicting game, maybe the best co-op game i've ever played. It comes with the campaigns of the original Left 4 Dead so you don't have to buy the first game plus it comes with a bunch of new ones. Definitely recommend this to anyone.
    Ps: Playing as the Spitter in versus and scavenge is the best :)
  55. Feb 8, 2011
    When you can make a game from a idea thats been beaten to death and do it succesfully you know your good.
    This game is a blast to play and the steam achievments add that much more to it.
    The graphics are top notch so i dunno wth JayF is talking about.
    I'm running an old GTX295 and it looks awesome cranked up so maybe his card needs replaced not this game.
    Now on top of all the goodness
    add the add on campaigns free from lfd2maps.com and you get more for your dollar than you can shake a dismembered limb at. Expand
  56. Feb 16, 2011
    This is one of those games that can eat 800+ hours of your life away and keep you coming back for more. For that one fact alone I give it a 10. My money was well spent. There are many modes to keep it fresh and enjoyable. Cooperation within a team is a must. The replay factor and fun factor are simply through the roof. L4D and L4D2 are both worth the investment.
  57. Feb 27, 2011
    I have been a die-hard fan of the L4D series. Once the Sacrifice and No Mercy came out, I was psyched. Now I have L4D2 on both Xbox 360 and Steam/PC, and with both versions, I can play this game anytime I want. I have to say, VALVe and PowerSource, as well as Steam, made one of the best games on the district.
  58. Mar 13, 2011
    after reeding a lot of reviews on the game left for dead 2 i would agree with some of the criticism posted up but on the defense despite the lack of gaming quality and key things what could be improved it is still a good game. as the turn " you pay for what you get " i payed £20 - 30 as a package deal for my game so did not expect any thrill's like playing a high end full on 3d graphics game what would have cost around £60+ ether tho it is a social game and you can have a lot of fun ether make some rilly good friends or just to blow of some steam after a hard day at work and you just want to kill some zombies all tho yes this game works for me and i have made a lot of friends so guys A+ for me Expand
  59. Mar 17, 2011
    An absolutely amazing game I enjoyed playing for many hours already and the constant Mutation changes and custom maps always add a new replay value to it. If you don't have it you should definitely get it, the 4 player Co-Op campaign is simply amazing (although there are a lot of e.g. 16 players co-op servers for extra fun) and survival too. I believe I will play it a lot soon cause of the upcoming Cold Stream DLC including a new awesome map and the rest of the L4D1 campaign. Expand
  60. Mar 27, 2011
    Strategy and shooter in one phenomenal game! You can play it for 1000 hours and more, but never it will be boring! Nice maps, great weapons, awesome modes and cool infecteds! I could play it all the time :P
  61. Sep 5, 2011
    Years on and this is still one of the BEST co-op shooters available... ok the graphics are workmanlike, but Source is gettting way too long in the tooth to ever look top end...accept that sacrifice for everything else being super fast with tonnes of sharpened gameplay and high replay values thanks to it's huge modder community (on PC) supplying hundreds of free campaigns, how can you go wrong?
  62. Apr 22, 2014
    Left 4 Dead 2 has gotten a lot of flak for its similarity to the first game, but I think Valve made the right move in making it just how they did. Here's why:

REPLAY VALUE:
    - The first game was not very long, but it had replay value, the second game is essentially the first game with more levels, new levels, new characters, new dialogue, new weapons and enemies and mechanics, etc. The
    first game was a smashing success, so if the second was why would they change that much in the sequel?

NEW MECHANICS:
    - The guns, special devices, and melee weapons all have a very nice, "clean," feel to them. There's almost no "wind-up," so every swing, shot, and throw feels responsive. This is something many developers overlook when making games, and it's incredibly important to have the feel right.

NEW WEAPONS:
    - The arsenal from L4D was one of the more boring parts of the game. L4D2 has more than doubled the amount of weapons, whilst keeping the originals for old fans.

STEAM WORKSHOP:
    - Don't like the level selection? The skins are boring you? Then modify them with minimal effort by utilizing Steam Workshop, which is home to thousands of custom, user-made skins.

There really isn't much to complain about.
  63. Sep 14, 2011
    New zombies, new maps and more weapons! YES! But, for some odd reason I find the game play different. I actually find the original more appealing. The graphics look better as in better looking versus more advanced graphics. The characters aren't that appealing either. It seems a bit rush and too soon. Left 4 Dead 1 just got off the ground when this was released! Shame... But the games still good.
  64. Jun 30, 2011
    Left 4 Dead 2 was an exceptionally good game, in my opinion, from the moment I started playing it. It brought to mind the play of Dead Rising, where I could simply kill zombies as a sort of stress reliever. It never needed to have much of a purpose. Just as long as I could kill, move forward, and feel like I accomplished something I was happy. I really enjoy the level designs in the second one. I find especially the Dark Carnival campaign to be extremely fun. The main difference between this game and those of other zombie shooters is that you cannot win this game alone. It is very hard to make it anywhere, especially on harder difficulties, without being a team. Versus mode only proves all the more that without effective teamwork, you cannot win the game. A single player being good is not enough to win the game. More importantly, a lot of times, you don't even have to be good to play, you just have to work together.

A lot of multiplayer video games have completely lost sight of teamwork. When I go to play Call of Duty, if there is a single good person on my team, I may win because of their skill. The next round, they win on someone else's team. It is too dependent on individual people. Left 4 Dead is rarely possible to move any farther when you want to play as a loner. The single player proves this even more with the terrible AI being of little assistance. It certainly feels like you are alone with them. (I still think it deserves a ten because especially friendly AI is rarely very skilled in video games anyway...)

Left 4 Dead 2, as a sequel, also provides some semblance of the creepy level design in the first one. A dank mall, with all the lights turned out, one of the levels virtually serving as a maze because all of the obvious directions are not the right ones. The Carnival, with clowns attracting massive hordes if they are not eliminated effectively. The swamp is a nightmare, especially in realism mode(which is AMAZING... It adds value to the melee weapons and makes you work much harder to remain a team) where you may be dragged away by a smoker and be impossible to find in the foliage. The sugar mill, with a forest of witches, and rain that blinds all view of the screen, is very well designed and very creepy. The Parish is the only campaign which stays well lit for the majority of the campaign but it is not without its challenges as well. The Impound lot, which leaves a massive amount of car alarms in front of you is especially dangerous when you have a person playing who has not memorized where the alarms are. Several of the events in the Parish force hordes of monstrous sizes on you.

This game is only as hard as you make it. You can change the settings to make it simplistic or make it very challenging. Realism mode only adds to the nightmare and makes everything a lot more interesting because you cannot see people through walls, glows around items are disabled, and worst of all, the witch will instantly kill you.

I feel as though a lot of the negative reviews on this game are written by people who rushed out to by this game when it was brand new, who weren't very good at the game, and who could not appreciate all the new things this game had to offer over the old Left 4 Dead. The melee weapons are life saving in Realism mode(which is why describing them as useless seems ineffective and incorrect to me), the guns are vastly improved from the original, and there are three entirely new infected creatures which are all extremely dangerous.(Spitters are great when well timed) The characters are much better developed, interesting, and surprisingly realistic. Especially for those gamers out there who cannot afford an expensive game when it first comes out and wait for the prices to be those of bargains, this game was an amazing buy. I have gotten well over a few hundred hours of gameplay for roughly 20 dollars. I would have paid the 50 dollars if I had it. This game was worth it. Especially with friends, the online is worth every second of playing and I recommend this game to anybody who does not yet have it.
  65. Jul 5, 2011
    Left 4 Dead (2) Series is just amazing i just loving killing me some zombies i dunno maybe because i'm a gun nut and have my own arsenal of weapons for such occasions and just want practice. Anyway This is a great Multiplayer Platform you can team up against zombies or become a special zombie on teams against each other.
  66. Jul 11, 2011
    This is a typical game to just get ur head clear and mindlessly kill all that walks, if ur a game addict its not to play 24/7 youll get mad but its a lovely way to just do something elsze with friends for a change,
    i love it!
  67. Sep 8, 2011
    I've played more hours of this game than any other - 800 at the moment. It's a truly great game, the only negative is the online community can be very annoying and love to cry "NOOOB!"
  68. Aug 9, 2011
    The great part about Valve is that they patch the game, add new content based on player's interests and no longer allow it to go stale. I have at least 600 hours into the game and have learned specific tactics for taking out the special infected while most people run aimlessly out to their death. It's a team-based game where if you stay together, the chances of survival are high. Cool binds to use such as taunt, yes, no, take the lead, stick that up your a$$, etc. make for some interesting jokes even if everyone is already on voice chat. What you're really doing is making a movie and if you're one of the 4 star actors you're able to take a break and watch. I love how the game seamlessly as well as instantly adds new players or replaces them with bots without some lengthy game re-load or re-sync making everyone wait. It was remarked that the grenade launcher sitting out in the open for anyone to grab and descimate the game solo was making the game too easy and allowing people to leave the rest 4 dead, so Valve moved them to more hidden areas so players had to search for the big guns. I hope it's evolution continues. Expand
  69. Sep 6, 2011
    Woah woah woah... time out. All these people complain about L4D2 being the same thing as L4D, but that simply isn't true! At its core, yes, L4D2 is the same but so is every game on the market. Halo is still a shooter, Command and Conquer is still a strategy game, Starcraft is still epic, Episode 3 still isn't released, and Left 4 Dead is still a co-op zombie survival game. Just because Valve didn't go for L4D2: Cooking Mama as their sequel doesn't mean they're ripping us off. This game easily has enough new content to teach Infinity Ward and Treyarch a thing or two.

Valve obviously worked hard to make the original experience much more fun in every aspect and they definitely delivered. The only thing that I would have docked a point for is not having enough maps, but free DLC took care of that. Besides, I had to do something to even out all the people trying to say the game hadn't changed. I wouldn't be surprised if half of them don't even own the game.
  70. Sep 9, 2011
    Its a fun but repetitive game. But it hasn't aged well. Its starting to look rough around the edges. If you can fool yourself to thinking it looks good you probably can get several hundred of hours of addicted playing out of this, else it will feel more like a repetitive slog because the environments look very bland. This looks like a game that worried too much about hardware budgets , or was developed on a tight budget itself. Not much is textured properly and there is too many details missing from the scenes. For example, their idea of a store is a room with an empty shelve and a block looking cabinet with a register on it, and no other details you'd see in a store. The good side, being a MP game, its still alive currently and finding a game is not too hard. The game also appears to be still be supported regularly by the creator Valve with recently now the l4d campaigns being added into the game. Expand
  71. Dec 2, 2012
    Yes, it's a decent sequel with big amount of changes over it's predecessor, which can't be simply packed in a DLC. This game is about teamplay and replayability - i'm playing it with my friends with VoIP and i played more than 400 hours in total and not yet bore with. One of the best co-op, PvP and overall games in my life.
  72. Nov 2, 2011
    Awesome coop game, the value of the free dlcs and the game itself make it a masterpiece.
    **** to the ones saying that it's the same old **** if the game has changed the same guys would be the first saying "oh no, ****ty game, those dubass changed everything and now is totally different, why would they did that? Vote: 4, 0, 2". Buy it.
  73. Oct 15, 2011
    This is an awesome game due to the replay value. The "Director" changes the campaigns every time you play to spawn the horde, witches, and tanks in different locations every time (or no witches or tanks at all). The graphics are fantastic for anyone that has a 4 to 5 year old computer as of 2011; the FPS is superb (depending on your computers video card and RAM) and works flawlessly for me.
    The Vs Mode is awesome - sometimes you have a good team and sometimes you don't; sometimes you have people who stay when they are losing or some who leave (ragers) because they're losing. The "Director" does a great job making the Vs campaigns random.
    The Mutation mode offers some different styles of gameplay; while some are not great - others are exciting to play.
    Survival Mode: How long can you survive against the horde (need I say more?)
    If you want to up the difficulty, play Vs Realism which doesn't show the survivors outlines if you are a survivor (playing normal as survivors, you would see an outline of your team but not in Realism)
    Also - you can download custom maps and campaigns and all other sorts of things to customize the game (look at: http://www.l4dmaps.com/l4d2/ ).
    Full score and highly recommend.
  74. Apr 22, 2013
    The reason for rewarding Left 4 dead 2 a pure 10, is simple. There is no competitor out there to what this game delivers and what it delivers is great. Even 4 years after it came out, it is still the absolute most fun co-op game out there, with up to 4 people. Even greater is the versus mode, where 2 teams of 4 take turn playing the special effected. It's easy to get into, so great for newcomers and hard to master. Expand
  75. Dec 11, 2011
    Left 4 Dead 2 is an enjoyable game to play. Like most games these days the game shines more in the multiplayer aspect and the numerous mods and addons that one can acquire through various means. These addons and multiplayer flavors are where the fun is. The single player is tolerable and is fun to play when bored but the AI really is sub par (the other survivors have god-like accuracy but are dumb as a rock in relation to self preservation, i feel as if i am babysitting them in most situations). But if you are playing L4D:2 you need to be playing it with other people as the additional survivors or as the special infected. In summation the game as a whole is worth playing and is highly replayable, but if you are more of a loner and play singleplayer exclusively then you may want to overlook this title and perhaps pick up another zombie shooter that caters to the storyline and solo play. Expand
  76. Dec 16, 2011
    This is the most bloody game from all games witch I played, it's also very funny, Valve is based on "team" games, like Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead(1) and Half-Life(with his broters: CS, CSS)... @VonCarlsson, you're right, but, you can also try survivor mode, wich is very funny sometimes, it doesn't worth 4 mark, no way, anyway, this just the begin, I think the CS: Global Offensive will be disappointing for most of us... Expand
  77. Dec 21, 2011
    Best game ever! Played is now for more then 600 hours. Every minute is still very fun to play. If I have to mention one point that is not so good are the players online, 40% sucks ;-)
    Hoping for Left 4 Dead 3!
  78. Dec 29, 2011
    Left 4 Dead 2 is an improvement on it's predecessor in every possible way. Better overall play, added hand to hand variety, better performance, less bugs, hours of playing Co-op, Solo, Versus and of course, now a more versatile Battle "Special Zombie Players vs Survival Players" match. Totally worths it.
  79. Dec 31, 2011
    I signed up just to make a review on this. As an experienced player of the Left 4 Dead franchise, I have accumulated about 2000 hours on Left 4 Dead 2, and about 350 on Left 4 Dead. What I have to say about this game is related to it's gameplay, AI, and the community itself. To begin with, the gameplay is exactly the same as the original. There are new throwables, melee weapons, and the original pistols that turned out to be the only secondary in the original Left 4 Dead. As of today, there is no real point in purchasing the original Left 4 Dead, because everything in Left 4 Dead 2 contains whatever is in Left 4 Dead 1. Everything is smooth, clean, and the graphics are stunning(not that it should be a major factor). The AI is intended to be smart and not idiotic. People have way too high expectations for the AI. Of course at some times the AI will fail to meet your humane, on-the-double needs, but that doesn't mean you can't do it over again. I say this because people who give up because the AI is too "stupid" have no patience for a game, and quit way too easily. The AI, during other game modes, follow suit. They kill on sight, and will wind up getting attacked more often than not, but are definitely all valuable and should not be wasted. As for the infected AI, I'm sorry to hear that you're infuriated that there are no new skins. There is a new skin, and it's the improved version of the original. The infected have succumbed further to the infection than they did in the original. The infected are smart and are meant to be on par with the intelligence of your Survivor allies. The producer's intentions are to come at you with full assault with small breaks in between. Without it, it'd be boring. As for the community(and this is my favorite part), you must bring friends. And if you're lucky, you're be grouped with exceptional, advanced, weathered players. The attitude towards each other in games like Versus and Scavenge are aggressive, and full of smack talk. If you want to keep your cool, don't say anything at all. Smack talk is a strategy to knock your focus off-course. Everyone in this game groups up on unsuspecting players in order to "stomp" them, known as pubstompers.

TL;DR

The main purpose of this game is to be grouped up with complete strangers and thrown straight into the fire, where you must work together to weather the storm of zombies and special infected, all while reaching the end together, or by yourself. Whether it be real people or AI you're working with(or against), you're definitely going to be put to the test in a fast-paced game such as this.
  80. Jan 3, 2012
    As much as I miss the characters of the first one, and am loyal to the original's originality and simplicity, I must give the sequel a higher rating if only for the upkeep of free updates and constant addition to the already varied dynamic. While this one feels less like you're running for your life to a fate uncertain through the decaying ruins of the recent and progressing apocalypse, it's got more dakka and gorn. Plus that much more story to go along with the grim path humanity took in late 2009. For more information, see my review of L4D and just throw in the fact that there are more guns, more special zombies, more game play modes, even more game modes, a crossover campaign with the original survivors that's explained in "The Sacrifice" web comic, the original campaigns (with all the second's goodies), and just more Valve. Game on, comrades. But I do suggest you buy the first as well, if just to ease into the second's complexity, while being able to see your legs. Expand
  81. Jan 29, 2012
    The amount of free updates you recieve on the PC is astounding. Valve quality stamp, coupled with the amount of user content available makes this game a total blast. One of the best co-op games around, if not the most replayable ;) . Go buy for 20$ on steam or in stores!
  82. Jan 17, 2012
    Contains well thought out plot for a zombie apocolypse. Is very faithful to the original game containing new units, superior graphics, and very oriented around game play with friends. 10/10
  83. Dec 31, 2012
    Amazing! L4D2 is simply a lot of fun to play. So if one loves FPS, zombies, and online gameplay, one will simply adore this game. That said this is not a game to be taken too seriously. Just set back, relax, kill hordes of zombies and have lots fun doing so.
  84. Mar 19, 2012
    This is a First Person Shooter COOP based game. There are several modes on this game, i have play more than 50 hours in online campaign and it is an excellent mode. In this mode, you and 3 other players will fight you way through several big locations in cities and forests and will be attacked by hordes and hordes of zombies (different kind of zombies). Several weapons are available, like AK-47 and shotguns, bats and guitars for melee attacks are also important. One campaign can take you more than one hour and a half, and there are more than 10 in the game; also, tons of community content is available and the quality of some of these content is amazing. For achievement hunters, the Steam version have Steam achievements. Also, if are planing to get these game but you are not decided to get it on PC or Xbox, i have to said that the Xbox version is great, but if you have a PC then get the PC version is prettier, faster and with more detailed effects.

Thanks.
  85. Jul 31, 2012
    L4D2 makes the first L4D feel like a demo. The PC version boasts 5 new campaigns and all the L4D1 maps plus a brand new map called Cold Stream included for no extra price. The game looks beautiful and it includes a ton more stuff than the first. A must buy for zombie killing fanboys
  86. Apr 22, 2012
    This game is a must if you love zombies, or if you played L4D, single player experience is very nice, and your team mates are always ready to help, multiplayer with a lof of people is just supreme, if you are a fan of L4D you can play the maps as they are being imported, play from VS to Co-op mode, lots of fan made mods from weapons to maps and skins, are you ready to fight for survive against the zombie plague that spread all around the country ?
    If yes get in and kill some zombies !
  87. Mar 21, 2013
    Single player is a frustrating affair having to rely on a dumb A.I. the so called gameplay improvement Instead of getting hit by one special attacks you will get hit by two special attacks now. Plus A.I. team members will not carry any missile weapons or help in mission orientated tasks same as before.
  88. Jun 1, 2012
    Amazing game!! good graphics, insane game play, awesome characters and the Add-Ons is the best part , I cant figure out why people are giving this game such horrible ratings cuz this game is a BEAST!! This is a must have game for every PC gamer.
  89. Jul 13, 2012
    Positive: Graphics are good. Its fun to play with friends and its really team focused game. There are tons of custom maps on the Internet. Negative: Lack of steam workshop.
  90. Dec 25, 2012
    One of my favorite games of all time, for valve it is my favorite. The game has many more and new levels, allowing you to fight your way through the horde with new items, weapons and such. The game is perfect for co-op, survival, versus and scavenge (including realism). The only real downside to this masterpiece is the fact that the AI is horrible, always takes the wrong weapons and wastes health packs. The AI also never goes into the vantage points of the boss fights, and your almost always the only one to make it out. Expand
  91. Jul 25, 2012
    One of the best games that Valve made. It's better than the first one I can tell, more weapons, better graphics, more special infected and more modes. The no 1 game to have fun with your friends and kill zombies. The message that valve wants to deliver thought Left 4 dead 2 is use teamwork. There is nothing better than having a team by your side and survive a zombie apocalypse !
  92. Jul 30, 2012
    this is the best game that I've ever played. I don't know some one even can say it is nor excellent! unbelievable.this is the best game that I've ever played. I don't know some one even can say it is nor excellent! unbelievable.
  93. Jul 30, 2012
    Awesome game. I don't know why you would pay full price on this. It's a Valve game, it goes on sale A LOT! I got this as a 4 pack to share with some friends. it was 14.99 for all 4 copies. We played Dead Center the first time we played and had some Co-op fun. If you can find it on sale it's a great value especially with the new free Cold Stream DLC.
  94. Nov 25, 2012
    Ive put way too many hours into this game to give it anything less than a 10. As far as value goes for a game l4d2 has been the best game purchase Ive ever made. From a gameplay perspective, either have friends to play this with or make some because you dont want to go into this one alone which isnt to say you cant make friends in the game but a majority of the community can be pretty bad. It gets a 10 because it did exactly waht it set out to do and that, create a terrific coop/competitive zombie survival game. Expand
  95. Nov 10, 2012
    Chill out you lot who knock this game,it's a scream and great fun.I love the carnival with the rollercoaster its a ride and a half what a great time when you want a bit of a blowout.
  96. Sep 8, 2012
    it's a awesome game. it's pretty hard to get tired on it becouse it is much kind of games you can play as mutations, realism mode, story mode, and more.. and it's great that they have fixed so you can play all the maps and the peoples from left 4 dead 1 in this too.
  97. Sep 9, 2012
    Very nice game, valve done it again, had so much fun with this one, im hooked on it atm, the gameplay is the same....Extremely awesome. not much to be said really. good job.
  98. Jul 10, 2014
    Left 4 Dead 2 it's an awesome zombie shooter game where cooperation really matters for progress, with a wide range of scenario and a ton of zombie to kill.
    Promoted!
  99. Jul 5, 2013
    this is one of the most amazing zombie games ever.gameplay is fun,multiplayer is cool,graphics are very good for an 2009 game.the blood is sick.there is nothing wrong with this game.its the perfect sequel to a game that i think is average(left 4 dead 1).buy this and you wont regret it.
  100. Nov 30, 2012
    A very good co-op zombie FPS. I didn't play Left for Dead 1 so when I played L4D2, I felt I no longer need to leave the house. All I need is some food to eat and play this game forever. Much teamwork is needed in harder difficulties, and I loved the fact that I cannot just shoot blindly and not caring about ammo. This make survival fun and exciting.

L4D2 delivers multiple improvements over its predecessor, and I get to keep all my fingers and toes.
    It remains one of the most distinctive co-operative titles out there, and allows for some of the most nerve-searing team-based multiplayer gaming on the market.
  3. Whereas once we treated Left 4 Dead as a stopgap between Half-Lifes, this is no longer a weird little side project with modest expectations, and Valve is confident enough to play around with it, safe in the knowledge that you can trust your players. Left 4 Dead proved it. And whereas that game had a personality, this one is overflowing with it.