8.5

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2092 Ratings

1. Aug 24, 2010
    All I can say, is that this game is a **** awesome sequel to Left 4 Dead, ticked all my boxes, nothing negative comes to mind. Awesome! The gameplay is awesome in multiplayer, had tones of fun, the new infected are fun to kill and are fun to play as! Very very verry good game :D
  2. Aug 23, 2010
    Left 4 Dead 2 is a great game that is probably the best FPS that i've played in a long time. I recoend this game to everybody. Its pure Great. This game has new levels, zombies, weapons, and chracters. anybody who likes First person shooters should get this game.
  3. Oct 17, 2010
    People, you can't downgrade a game meant to be coop because the Single Player is lousy. It's also not clear if you should be rating L4D2 relative to L4D, since that rating wouldn't matter to someone who doesn't have either. Rate L4D2 on its own merits, for how it's meant to be played, and if you do that, the game is practically flawless.
  4. Oct 6, 2010
    An amazing sequel. While many were worried that the quality of the game since there was such a short time period between this and the original game but I can safely say that Left 4 Dead 2 is amazing! The game is quite unmatched by any other zombie themed game. The addition of mellee weapons and new guns really added to the experience. With "Uncommon Infected" and new Special Infected added, the campaigns could never be more fun. The enw characters are colorful, interesting, and funny yet still insanely realistic. This game is gleaming with Valve's polish and it shows, it really does. Expand
  5. Dec 26, 2010
    An overall very good game and great co-op experience with beautiful graphics. I only gave it a 9 because the characters are not as original as in L4D1, the maps designs are not as charming (although they're better in gameplay and many other ways) and the atmosphere is more like a mass-killing zombie game than a survival one. I was also deceived as in the first one that they didn't design the menu like a movie. Expand
  6. Jan 30, 2011
    I always have a good time on this game with my buddies, both in this and in Left 4 Dead. With custom content you'll never get bored. You can also make your own maps and skins for it if you take the time to learn. Great game, but make sure you have some friends to enjoy it with, and some free time to get good at the game!
  7. Aug 20, 2013
    Left 4 Dead 2, this game is just awesome, you can even make a model and put it into game and play it with that add-on, just awesome. I really enjoy this game!
  8. Jan 15, 2013
    Eerily similar to L4D, this game does not deserve to be called a "sequel". A fraction of the updates in TF2 could have created this game from it's predecessor L4D. Regardless, it is rather enjoyable and scary. There is nothing like the feeling you get when a boomer pops out from a corner and screws up your vision. Multiplayer is a veteran's game, so you better know what you're doing before joining ( a lot of people are very rude to noobs, which is honestly the worst part of this game, so if you can get past that you're golden). I bought this on sale for $5, and would have gladly paid $20 for it. The biggest problem with the multiplayer is that gameplay ends up being one-sided. There are 2 teams, and players enjoy stacking a lot. You'll often find yourself with utter noobs or else with extreme experts, in which case the game becomes anti-competitive. You can simply quit when this happens and join a fairer game, so I would highly recommend this 9/10. Expand
  9. Sep 30, 2011
    I'm coming up to playing 300 hours on this game. This game would have to be my favorite game. The only bad thing I can say about this game isn't actually about the game itself but the ****heads who play it online. Other than that I love this game and play it almost daily.
  10. May 15, 2012
    This is the BEST GAME I EVER PLAYED. Soon i will have 3000 hours on this game, playing it since the Beta in 2008. Addictive, Fun, Competitive, Fast, Perfect. The MUST-HAVE Competitive FPS !
  11. May 22, 2012
    Simply a fun game to play. What makes it fun is the way you can play the single player mode over and over again, stand back to back with your friends fighting zombies, BE zombies and the graphics are good!
  12. Sep 9, 2010
    This is is trully amazing than L4D. There are lotta improvements ,gameplay, and a bit storylines too.... The graphics are nice too....but i think the Valve company is too rushed about this game bcoz this game release after 1 year making a L4D...... The multiplayers is great but lag can cause the people to go annoyed....like the incoming attack. Bugs and glitches are not much since the updates were released. Expand
  13. Oct 11, 2010
    Do not underestimate versus fun you can get from this game. Do not try to play single player. Get out there, find a lobby and aid other survivors against endless horde of zombies. Once you get the point, you can't let it go. Absolutely wonderful on many levels.
  14. Mar 8, 2011
    Decent game, although they didn't change that much from the original L4D i still enjoyed it. The promised revamped AI director wasn't as amazing. The voice acting(especially rochelle) hasn't been as good. The new alarm events, new infected, and new gamemode (including mutation) are pretty creative and fun though. Although campaign can get too easy and boring over time, i feel the strength of this game lies in its multiplayer. It is immensely fun to play with friends, whether you are dominating in pubs or are playing against challenging opponents. There are learning curves and strategies to play both the infected and survivor, and valve designed it so it is easy to pick up for beginners, while maintaining a high skill ceiling for advance players to hone their tricks. Once again Valve never disappoints. Expand
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    Most negative ratings seemed to have come after this game initial release. I can understand where people are coming from in being die hard L4D1 fans previously. However, i started with L4D2 first over a year ago, and it is the BEST online game i have played to date. I bought L4D2 about 6 months ago and while it still have that awesome L4D gameplay, it was just nowhere near as polished as 2 for me. I like in 2 how there is comedy and interesting levels, where 1 seems to have focused more on the horror effect, where there is a dark and gloomy atmosphere. To be honest, i don't see how the atmosphere really makes the game better or worse.

Left 4 Dead 2 has a huge replay value. You can go on and on and constantly learn new things. I personally play all game types, but usually prefer versus. This is one of those games where it will constantly evolve into a better game. The online community is still very strong (even in 1). It is definitely hard to start off when you don't know maps etc. My suggestion is to read/watch some strategy guides or videos.
  16. Apr 21, 2011
    It's not as spooky or atmospheric or creative as the first game, but the gameplay is improved, the graphics are improved, and the versus mode is not only playable, but is also the most fun I've had in a multiplayer zombie game since the craziest nights of Zombie Master.
  17. May 21, 2011
    This is one of the best game ever. Plenty of fun with friends and a very enjoyable versus mode. The coop system is the best ever seen in the games history. The animations are incredibly fluid, some of the best I've seen so far in a game. The dialogues are great, the characters say a lot of different things and are never annoying or ripetitive. Definitely a masterpiece!
  18. Sep 28, 2011
    This is a superb co-op game still being played now almost 3 years after its release. Its a game where you only get out of it what you put into it. Players are expected to help each other, in an environment where anyone can just into your game and leave as easily you have to be expecting the odd pain. The variation in the kind of teams you can find yourself fighting with adds a lot to this games re-playability.
    The game has been consistently supported with patching, new official maps, new play modes. There are tonnes of servers still providing loads of free online multiplay. On top of that you get a game which all other co-op zombie shooters are compared against as it still is the best one one the market hands down. The game has co-op campaign, versus, survival (with leaderboard), single-play and scavenge modes. You will make new friends playing this game, and there are some very good people playing this game now-a-days with many of the turkeys having gotten bored of cheating and pk'ing.
  19. Nov 8, 2011
    an FPS game that is brilliant! the gameplay is awsome for a fps, the guns are awsome but lack a little variety. The only reason to really buy this game is to play online, single player id give it a 6, multiplayer online is a for sure 10. The replayability in this game is great, youll notice yourself playing it after you get bored at first from time to time and casually play it here and there. great game online, well worth the buy. Expand
  20. May 13, 2012
    Overall one of the best games ever made, and pretty much evolved the zombie genre to a point towards even making Resident Evil run for its money when it comes down to zombie genre games. Left 4 Dead 2 will leave you with excitement and suspense which you will more than likely be talking about for a long time, along with that the fact its a Steam game and from valve, expect it to have alot of PC content exclusives such as Achievements, constant upgrades and unofficial mods. To make it better, Left 4 Dead 1 comes packed with this game as well when you purchase it! Expand
  21. May 7, 2012
    A great game.The graphics are nice, the campaigns awesome and the new infected are really nice to play with in versus mode! The game modes are interesting and challenging, requires intelligence to play as Infected to hit-and-run.The price isn't very high (13.99 euro here) and it is totally worth it!
  22. May 9, 2012
    Left 4 Dead 2 is bloody, fun and really successful. Not only multipalyer is fun, even the single player is fun. It doesn't want hard specs and It's amazing. The only bad thing there is that It doesn't have checkpoint in single player. Overall, it is amazing! (9.1)
  23. May 21, 2012
    L4D2 was the first L4D I've played and I like it very much. I give out 10 of 10 points because the game does what a game should to do: Fun.
    I play the whole time VS and sure, sometimes you've got problems with flamers and griefers, but sometimes you've got also good teams and a lot of fun. One of the best MP-FPS I've played.
  24. Apr 23, 2013
    The fun and joy of completing the game on expert draws you in; the Versus mode ensures you keep coming back.
    The variety because of the different maps, the different unknown combinations of Special Infected you're facing and the alternation between Survivors and Infected, makes the Versus mode irresistible.
    This is definitely one of my favorite games and a keeper.
  25. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is freaking amazing. Having not played the first game, I feel I missed out on something but I'll probably pick it up one of these days. As for L4D2, I picked it up on a Steam Summer Sale a few years back and it's become one of my most played Steam titles and one of my favorite games ever, and that's saying a lot since I've played a LOT of games in my life. The best part is, if you don't like something about the game, you can probably improve it or at least add to it with the Steam Workshop, including mods that make your CPU allies more useful, and entire new campaigns to run through with friends. I'd have given this game a lower score if I were to account for the awful, rude, and constantly-griefing PvP community. It's League of Legends bad. If you find decent people to play with, however, or you just like going solo, this is the best zombie shooter ever made. Expand
  26. Aug 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Left 4 Dead 2 provides a unique co-op experience set during a zombie outbreak. Sequel to the hit 2008 game, the gameplay features the same A to B strategy from the original, but improves off it. The AI director, capable of randomising each level to tailor each player's experience and change the pace of the game, has been improved with new features, such as the ability to randomise the layouts of certain levels, or spawn different types of weapons throughout the map.

With a cast of new characters; Coach, Rochelle, Nick and Ellis, the survivors make it their mission to stick together and make it through the state of Georgia and into Louisiana, where they will be rescued in New Orleans. The game originally featured 5 campaigns, but Valve have since added extra levels and even ported the ones from Left 4 Dead. Other new gameplay features include new Special Infected, such as the Jockey, that will hop onto survivors' heads and carry them away into whatever fate they see fit, and the Charger, a huge ram that will pound into the survivors and deal a lot of damage. To counter this added difficulty, the survivor's get new items to use such as incendiary and explosive ammunition, and melee weapons.

The game also features new modes, such as Scavenge and Realism, adding extra hours of fun. Versus is still fun as ever with the new additions. The custom content in this game also adds to the fun factor, with campaigns such as Dead Before Dawn and Suicide Blitz 2 show how creative the community is. All in all, Left 4 Dead 2 is successful in improving several things that didn't work too well in the original. If you're looking to buddy up with some friends and survive the oncoming hordes, then this is the game for you.
  27. Oct 8, 2012
    just like the first game it was a huge sucsess and an enjoable game, story was actually interesting , and made me connect to the characters, the graphics were pretty good as well, and new weapons and the option for melee made killing zombies a whole new level of fun, and even the small jokes every now and than are great! people thought it might be a bad idea to make another l4d but they were wrong, ohh they were so wrong! Expand
  28. Jan 7, 2013
    This is a great game,all the melee weapons are very functional and fun to use,new better maps,only bad thing about this game are newbies that can sometimes completely ruin the game for you.
  29. Jun 20, 2013
    In reality, the game as it is now as of June 2013, is much better than it was as release, and is almost an entirely different beast. Steam Workshop support, the entirety of the first game's campaigns released as FREE DLC on the PC, nearly unlimited room for customization, a limitless pile of new campaigns to be played, new weapons, characters, skins, survival maps, even visual effects all are available......and entirely optional. The game is better balanced now than it was on release of either L4D1 or 2.

In short, Left 4 Dead 1 is awesome, Left 4 Dead 2 has a LOT more options and features for fans of the original. The argument that the first game was somehow better than the second is now baseless. For a $60 price tag, this game would still be a LOT of bang for your buck, but the game is normally priced at a measly $20, and frequently drops down to $5. Not much room for complaining here.
  30. Sep 1, 2013
    The best co-op and zombie game ever the graphics are decent and the gameplay is great it is built for the PC as well the DLC is great bu the mods and free campaigns are so good and the Steam Workshop items really make it your own game

L4D2 delivers multiple improvements over its predecessor, and I get to keep all my fingers and toes.
    It remains one of the most distinctive co-operative titles out there, and allows for some of the most nerve-searing team-based multiplayer gaming on the market.
  3. Whereas once we treated Left 4 Dead as a stopgap between Half-Lifes, this is no longer a weird little side project with modest expectations, and Valve is confident enough to play around with it, safe in the knowledge that you can trust your players. Left 4 Dead proved it. And whereas that game had a personality, this one is overflowing with it.