Legend of Fae PC

7.6

1. Jan 9, 2012
    In this game you take the role of a young orphaned girl who lives with her uncle, a renowned and kind professor at the local university. Claudia has a sick weak leg, and has to wear a brace if she wants to walk. One day her uncle disappears, but leaves a strange lantern that carries a board inside, filled with coloured gems. The town she lives in is suddenly attacked by fairy creatures. ToIn this game you take the role of a young orphaned girl who lives with her uncle, a renowned and kind professor at the local university. Claudia has a sick weak leg, and has to wear a brace if she wants to walk. One day her uncle disappears, but leaves a strange lantern that carries a board inside, filled with coloured gems. The town she lives in is suddenly attacked by fairy creatures. To defend herself, Claudia learns that, mixing the gems, she can release strange powers and summon magical elementals. Armed with her magical lantern she sets on a quest to find her uncle and discover a new world.

The game is a nice combination of rpg and puzzle game; a little bit more challenging and less random than Puzzle Quest. You have to match gems of the same color on the board to collect mana; every color represent a different kind of mana. You can move them only horizontally, but you are not limited to one move, and if you do not obtain a match, the gems remain in the position you put them. The game is a RPG, in a sense, because you can use the powers of your friendly elementals to fight against the Fae. So you must also keep track of your health level, and have to use the right attack against the right enemy. That is where the game keeps its real challenge, as the monster can be quite dangerous when you reach the higher levels.

The plot is simple, but well written and the characters likable. Even if we are talking about a puzzle game, this is nice and gives you some purpose. As for the graphics, they are not special, but they fit the theme of the game. Sometimes, they get quite confusing, especially when the enemy throws a lot of negative effects on your board, but usually you can play without much distraction.

Legend of Fae is a budget game, and will keep you busy for a long time. Loved it since I bought it on Steam :)
  2. Jan 31, 2012
    If you like puzzle games like SpaceChem, Puzzle Quest, or Might+Magic Clash of Heroes you'll love Legend of Fae. The leveling up aspect was well conceived and the game managed to avoid feeling repetitious most of the time. I would highly recommend this for $5-10.

One quick note: I played it on hard difficulty until slightly after the Wind Gate. At that point it became hard enough to become less enjoyable, so I went into the C:/Users/YourUserName/AppData/Roaming/Endless Fluff Games/Legend of Fae and edited my profile to change the difficulty down to easy. I wish that the developers included this option in the interface, but if you get frustrated with the difficulty after 5+ hours you do have the option to adjust it.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Aug 1, 2011
    Legend of Fae is a real treat that'll hit the sweet tooth of casual puzzle dabblers and serious RPG addicts alike.